Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Somehow managed to get to 4/5 with no * this week (which I am quite proud of given my limits of attention and energy last week - I missed loads of answers in regular Jeopardy but must have summoned all my powers of concentration for FJ).  Slowly but surely getting better but still feeling fatigue and fogginess on occasion. 

Oscar popped into my brain even before finishing reading the clue.  For Tuesday, I was in the Colosseum/amphitheater area without coming close to a circus.  Adlai Stevenson was just before my time but the parental Grundoons talked about those campaigns and I recognized Kefauver's name immediately. 

I've been watching lots of the British show Time Team lately on Prime Video and there are frequent references to the Norman period so the date and Caen got me immediately to the Tower.  I am not entirely sure if I ever read Heyerdahl's book but I was certainly aware of it as a cultural reference and was pretty sure it was the correct answer. 

Happy Belated Birthday @Toothbrush!

• Love 6

Week 18

[SINGING] Ha-aa-llelujah. Ha-aa-llelujah. Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Ha-lle-e-lu-u-jah!

I pulled out a Friday 1/5 and an asterisk (Amysterisk) with Hawaii (where my parents lived for the last 30 years of their 67-year marriage).

I haven't made cookies in probably decades, but I sent coffee cans full to Vietnam, making cookies was once my job, and I made infinite amounts of cookies for my kids with protein and fiber snuck into them, sweetened only with honey. Still I never made anything like these chocolate and vanilla checkerboard cookies, but they look appropriate for a game show theme:

image.png.24441e3123404724d20a78cc0f8fa5cd.png

But even better, (accidentally?) posted in the main thread by @ams1001:

56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

How 'bout asterisk cookies?

56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.be9fafba3cbf39146bb803f31d8eda3a.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10

I'm bringing Muesli.  LOL.

3/5, not sure which ones are *, but I got Mon, Tues, & Fri.  I'm disappointed that I didn't get Douglass, considering all the joshing that went on about him when Trump spoke of him as though he were still alive, but once I got "Guinness" in my head, there was no moving on.

ETA: THREE Asterisks!!

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

WEEK 18 • Jan. 10, 2022 — THREE asterisk FOUR A*
* A* 86. 19th Century Notables. On his deathbed in France in 1890, he told his brother, “The sadness will last forever.”  * A*
* A* 87. Broadway Musicals. Each in a show that ran more than 2 years, Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played 2 different characters with this first name. * A*
A* 88. Historic Americans. In 1838 he took a new last name, of a family in Walter Scott’s “The Lady of the Lake”; for distinction he added a 2nd “S” to the end. A*
89. The Words of Victor Hugo. This object “is the ultimate expression of law, & its name is vengeance; it is not neutral, nor does it allow us to remain neutral.” 
* A* 90. Cemeteries & Memorials. 60,000 are at rest in a National Memorial Cemetery opened in 1949 in the crater of an extinct volcano in this state. * A*

• Love 3

Week 18: 4/5, 3*, 3A*

Wednesday I thought the person must be a politician or an author, but couldn't think of one with a double S. At 25 seconds I thought, "I'm going to kick myself when I see the answer." At least I was right about that.

Edited by Driad
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

2/5 with 2* The weather has been cold so I’m going to bring a pot of chili. There will be choices for toppings (cheddar cheese, onions, sour cream, and extra hot sauce) on the side. 

Chili sounds wonderful.  It's so cold here that my son's truck wouldn't start.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

Chili sounds wonderful.  It's so cold here that my son's truck wouldn't start.

It's 14°F here right now (at 10 am and sunny). My new glasses came in yesterday and I don't want to go out there to pick them up...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4

4/5, 3A* and 2*.  Really good week for me. Very happy for Amy. My family is just having Christmas, and we just made our first Yule Log (my 14 year old niece and I). I'll bring that for everyone to share. (It's a magic Yule Log to feed however many we are!)

• Love 10

4/5 2* and 4A*
I like the look Amy gets when she’s not sure about her FJ answer. She sort of tilts her head and has a questioning smile. I’m probably not explaining well, but it was on full display this week.  
Thank you for all the birthday wishes. 
I’ll bring king cake. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

4/5 2* and 4A*
I like the look Amy gets when she’s not sure about her FJ answer. She sort of tilts her head and has a questioning smile. I’m probably not explaining well, but it was on full display this week.  
Thank you for all the birthday wishes. 
I’ll bring king cake. 

I think you explained it fine - I knew exactly what you were talking about. I like it too.

• Love 5

3/5 - all A*.  Monday and Tuesday were Instagets - I had recently watched a show telling the story behind one of Van Gogh's paintings so he was near the front of my brain.  I had just heard SJP on Sirius On Broadway on my drive home Tuesday so maybe that helped prod me and I grew up on Merman albums.

Wednesday and Thursday were foggier days for me and I didn't come anywhere near either answer although I knew they would be "Duh" moments when revealed and they were.  By Friday, I was again in my tired, cranky mindset where I said if it isn't Hawaii, I give up. 

Can I freeload on food for one more week?  I truly thought I would be back to full energy by now but I have spent most of the long weekend crashing after testing my limits of doing things.  Everything described above sounds terrific. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Can I freeload on food for one more week?  I truly thought I would be back to full energy by now but I have spent most of the long weekend crashing after testing my limits of doing things.  Everything described above sounds terrific. 

I'm glad to read your appetite is back!🙌

Here are some gender-neutral grand-baby announcement cookies to share, which IRL I will likely never make nor eat:

image.png.5d21b5059c3cdfeb85a810e22e73efb9.png

• Love 7

WEEK 19 • Jan. 17, 2022 — NO asterisk TWO A*
91. Scientific Names. The 1905 paper that gave this its name also referred to it as “Dynamosaurus Imperiosus.”
A* 92. Awards Around the World. France’s national theater award, it’s named for a man who died in Paris in 1673.  A*
A* 93. Films of the 2000s. One of the screenwriters of this 2001 film described it as “‘Clueless’ meets ‘The Paper Chase.'”  A*
94. Words in American History. The 1890 Census reported that “the unsettled area has been so broken into…that there can hardly be said to be a” this. 
95. Mountains. First scaled in 1829, this 17,000-foot mountain has caused excitement by the supposed discovery of wood high up on it.

• Love 3