Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

This seems like the perfect place to ask this question because Jeopardy! watchers are knowledgeable about word usage and terminology (both official and slang) and because we are obviously all interested in food and, to varying degrees, its preparation.

Clue: This person cooks, angrily throws everyone out of the kitchen, even someone who was just trying to be helpful by quickly washing a few mixing bowls while the "chef" was taking a phone call from her dog sitter.

Correct response: What is a ___________? 

Edited by shapeshifter

2/5 w/* for Wednesday. I was as surprised as Sam was to get Friday correct. Totally a guess! 

I had peppermint fudge at a party last night & it was killer! I think I may try to find a recipe to make for my family’s Christmas Eve party. Although the melted snowmen cookies would be perfect since it will be 80 degrees Friday and 75 degrees Saturday here. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:30 PM, bybrandy said:

I was doing so well this week until Wednesday ... 2/5 1*   I flat out knew both of these and then didn't get any of the other others.  All of the answers made sense when I heard them but... wow...  Rough week.  

I made Peppermint Vodka the other day if it will make anybody's life more festive... and bought store brand oreos that have little bits of peppermint in them which does not sound as amazing as they are.  Seriously... like crack.   Basically I'm offering up all my peppermint treats.

That all sounds delicious! I’m not a lover of flavored vodka, but peppermint vodka sounds intriguing. 

On 12/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, zoey1996 said:

If you have a Trader Joe's, the Peppermint Jo-Jos are amazing!

I am a Jo-Jos addict. All flavors. Planning a TJs run today & I hope they have some peppermint left. But first I’ll have to find a parking space 🤞

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Female Gordon Ramsey?

3/5 and 1*. I was an every-other-day person, got Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Tuesday and Thursday I would never have gotten although I did match a couple of the professors.

I am bringing three piping hot cheesy sausage, hash brown, egg casseroles, all in round dishes. A hearty breakfast will balance those delicious deserts and drinks. Everyone, help yourselves.

Easy-Breakfast-Casserole-1.jpg.f6e2fb651d72818aec1d8f6d373e3779.jpg

• Love 7
On 12/18/2021 at 9:17 AM, SoMuchTV said:

0/5, so I guess I get to sit at the cool kids' table.  Maybe I can find my paper-bag-waist jeans to wear.  They're pretty stretchy, to accommodate all the comfort food (and drink).

Every table is the Cool Kids' Table here! Your paper-bag-waist jeans comment made me laugh, but I think you look great in them, unlike the tournament host.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Clue: This person cooks, angrily throws everyone out of the kitchen, even someone who was just trying to be helpful by quickly washing a few mixing bowls while the "chef" was taking a phone call from her dog sitter.

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

Female Gordon Ramsey?

Hah! That's the only thing I could think of as well.
But it seems there is some other moniker I've heard--something like "Bridezilla" but for a couple of years after the wedding when she's in the kitchen.

• Love 3

3/5 this week with 1 *.  Not a guess in the universe for the Physics answer (major science gaps of knowledge have I) and I couldn't figure our what sea they were looking for for Thursday.

Monday was an Instaget - tons of Tudor/Stuart history classes at W&M (knowing their dates helped plus got me the Glorious Revolution answer later in the week which I think was a TS). 

Knew TR spent time in the badlands of the Dakotas but had no idea where Louis L'Amour hailed from so basically did a mental coin toss. 

Friday was also an Instaget - partly due to Sondheim (whose death hit me hard - so many wonderful theater memories stirred up), partly the Sunday on La Grande Jatte painting which I have visited many times (but I agree the MOMA part of the clue almost took me in the wrong direction) but mostly thanks to an art history series I have been watching recently on Prime - one episode focused on a different Seurat painting but covered how his interest in science informed his painting.  I am making shortbread, fudge and nut brittle this week and offer them all up to the T43.  Tis the season to mainly eat dessert. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, labresq said:

I know it's only Wednesday, but I'm pretty happy with myself for getting final  Jeopardy!  Do we get a special asterisk for getting it when Amy didn't?

Yes! You do! 
 👏🏆 🌟

Er...

2 hours ago, Driad said:

We had Mattsterisks when we got FJs that Matt didn't, so why not?  Amysterisks?  We can note them, and Saber can count them if she likes.  Was this the first FJ that Amy has missed?

Oops! It would be a Amysterisk rather than an Asterisk because Krystina did get the correct response.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

We had Mattsterisks when we got FJs that Matt didn't, so why not?  Amysterisks?  We can note them, and Saber can count them if she likes.  Was this the first FJ that Amy has missed?

• Love 5
Just now, Driad said:

The second, I think. But still very, very impressive.

• Love 4

Ottawa was I believe Amy’s only other FJ miss. 
Couldn’t pull steeplechase out of the depths of my brain last night, so I just got the one Amysterisk of Ottawa (which also was a regular asterisk, if I recall correctly). 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Ottawa was I believe Amy’s only other FJ miss. 
Couldn’t pull steeplechase out of the depths of my brain last night, so I just got the one Amysterisk of Ottawa (which also was a regular asterisk, if I recall correctly). 

Yes, it was, but two missed it as the third didn’t qualify for FJ. Nov. 25, I think.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Our contest host has been gone so missed yesterday's show but was thinking we should have an Amy-sterisk, so you are all ahead of her. She was wondering what it should be called, Amysterisk or Asteriskamy. She thinks Amy's first game was Nov. 17, episode 48. Was yesterday the second or third FJ Amy has missed? Ottawa was a FJ TS so that's one. Was there another before yesterday? Saber will add A* to anyone's score who got Ottawa and Steeplechase (and if there was another).

Hoping the Amysterisk/Asteriskamy doesn't jinx her though.

• Love 2

It's been verified by our host, yesterday was Amy's second missed FJ. Ottawa, in week 11, was her first and was a TS so everyone on the scoresheet who got an * that week (it was the only asterisk) now has a +A* in their score. That's seven lucky players! And yes, it was on Nov. 23.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Besides, Ken keeps harping on her FJ score of only missed one - and then yesterday happened. HE'S JINXED HER!!!  Shut up, Ken. (Although I really am liking him as the smooth host.)

I can't recall his exact words, but he managed to turn it into a compliment--something like but not: Still an amazing accomplishment!
(to only have missed 2 of her umpteen FJs)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Besides, Ken keeps harping on her FJ score of only missed one - and then yesterday happened. HE'S JINXED HER!!!  Shut up, Ken. (Although I really am liking him as the smooth host.)

The mister asked me, "has anyone dared to say Ken is better than Alex?" He believes he is - and I'll have to say Ken is much kinder and engaged, imo, in the contestant interviews.

• Love 6

LOL about the FJ-Ken jinx. It's true. But, it makes me feel smarter when I get an A*.

Meanwhile, our contest host wants to extend a VERY Merry Christmas to all contest players who celebrate that event, and a VERY happy and warm winter and Holiday Season to everyone. She hopes to see everyone soon. From outside this box!

605014427_SantaBart.jpg.f3637ceb345acf755b75e29a294aa192.jpg

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The mister asked me, "has anyone dared to say Ken is better than Alex?"

You may tell Mr. Clanstarling that PBnJ says Ken is better than Alex, no question. (Looks skyward for lightning bolt ...)

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 7

Christmas Eve: 2/5! With an A*!

Here are some reindeer cookies (because antlers come in pairs, of course).
Yes, they are made from upside-down gingerbread men.

image.thumb.png.6557ade819196195883eacf7a17f8512.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 9

Week 15: 1/5 for Tuesday "Louisa May Alcott"

Not by me, but worth sharing:
The tweet seems to have vanished, but here's a snip from ebruenig's insta of her "snowfolks, rudolves, etc." cookies:

image.thumb.png.e30faae3ca9a147c6d7c92cb4568b1e8.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

So I guess I have an A* (I could see some logic with a toe and the DMZ, unlike the international date line)

Me, too! Thanks for reminding me because I forgot to mark it.

• Love 4

1/5 and 1A* Also got the A* for Ottawa.

My Newfoundland station showed a Christmas special instead of Jeopardy and the American station showed some football stuff so I had to go to the archives for last night's FJ.  Luckily I got it so I didn't get skunked this week.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(I could see some logic with a toe and the DMZ, unlike the international date line)

Shark bite? Or polar toe freeze in the North Pole?

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Here are some reindeer cookies

So cute!

4/5 and 2A*. Missed Federalist Papers, a thing that's never been in my kitchen brain.

Edited by PBnJay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I keep forgetting. This week's clues:

WEEK 15 • Dec. 20, 2021 — TWO A* asterisk
71. Fictional Characters. Introduced in 1938 & inspired by movie character Torchy Blane of the Morning Herald, she has since gone on to win a fictional Pulitzer.
72. 3-Named Women. Not primarily known as a suffragist, in 1879 she became the 1st female resident of Concord, Mass. to register in local elections.
A* 73. Sporting Events. In 1752 one of the first races in this sport was run—4 miles from Buttevant Church to St. Mary’s Doneraile. A*
74. The Early United States. The final piece in this series points out “the analogy of the proposed government to your own state constitution.”  
A* 75. International Landmarks. In December 2020 an international agreement added nearly 3 feet to this; one surveyor lost half a toe in the effort. A*

• Useful 1
  • Love 3