Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Week thirteen: two of five, with the asterisk! I knew Barbary and Gandhi easily. But I could kick myself on Friday -- I pre-guessed that the 19th Century British Author was either Charles Dickens or Mary Shelley. But when I read the clue, I assumed it couldn't be Mary Shelley because her parents were not both authors. You're an idjit, J5!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

For the purposes of this contest, it isn't necessary to know the answer, just to get it right. 

As opposed to the Brit show, Q.I., where the point is to be Quite Interesting, not necessarily correct. You get points for being interesting, not correct.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Trey said:

4/5, 1*

This is two weeks in a row now I've had 4/5 and then didn't get Friday's FJ. I didn't think of Mary Shelley.  I never think of Mary Shelley.

@Toothbrush, hope you get better real soon.

I normally never think of Shelley, so sort of jokingly said “Shelley”. Glad it worked lol I am feeling better, thank you!

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

For the purposes of this contest, it isn't necessary to know the answer, just to get it right. 

Thank goodness!! 

• LOL 5
On 12/10/2021 at 7:54 PM, Toothbrush said:

I have COVID so it’s broth & protein shakes for me. Eating is boring when you can’t taste and have to eat to live.

@Toothbrush, I am so sorry to hear you are ill and can't enjoy this week's contest bounty. I will drop off some piping hot soup and dry toast at your table.

Saber is at the 0/5 table again but is happy to have a beef on weck to make up for her not making it to Table 1 this week. And she is thrilled, thrilled I say, to share that chocolate cake with fruit topping.

• Love 8

4/5 with 1 *  Again had a good week going until I hit the wall on Friday.  I wasn't able to watch the show since I was cavorting around Greenfield Village for Holiday Nights - when I looked up the question after I got home, my brain was still too full of happy thoughts and my stomach too full of wonderful treats to come anywhere near Mary Shelley in time. 

Art Nouveau on Monday came thanks again to college German classes while Barbary Coast and Ghandi were Instagets from some dim recesses of my mind.  As a native Michigander with family history in eastern Canada (and many trips passing through St. Catherines, Ontario), I am embarrassed at how long it took me to get to the St. Lawrence Seaway but I made it there in the nick of time. 

One of the delightful treats from Friday night was a hot chocolate bomb to create cocoa.  It is a hollow chocolate filled with flavor - I got some filled with peppermint and just chocolate.  So I will bring those along with milk for hot cocoa. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

One of the delightful treats from Friday night was a hot chocolate bomb to create cocoa.  It is a hollow chocolate filled with flavor - I got some filled with peppermint and just chocolate.  So I will bring those along with milk for hot cocoa. 

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the rules specify that the table for zero is authorized to confiscate any round food items.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
53 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the rules specify that the table for zero is authorized to confiscate any round food items.

I understand the impulse but how about a compromise in the spirit of the holidays - hot chocolate for all tables? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm at the table for zero...! 👀

I want to make this Peppermint Mocha latte recipe; just gotta get a couple of the ingredients when I go shopping tomorrow. (There's a video at the bottom so you can watch her make that and other drinks, too. I haven't made any of her recipes so far but I find her videos very calming.) I don't know if I'd like it but her "Smurf" latte is so pretty (I googled the blue ingredient and apparently it tastes similar to chamomile, which I don't particularly like).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I'm at the table for zero...! 👀

I want to make this Peppermint Mocha latte recipe; just gotta get a couple of the ingredients when I go shopping tomorrow. (There's a video at the bottom so you can watch her make that and other drinks, too. I haven't made any of her recipes so far but I find her videos very calming.) I don't know if I'd like it but her "Smurf" latte is so pretty (I googled the blue ingredient and apparently it tastes similar to chamomile, which I don't particularly like).

Since I just started off the new week with no FJ and no TSs:
Do I get some of that Peppermint Mocha latte?
Or should I make my own? 
Maybe both!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Since I just started off the new week with no FJ and no TSs:
Do I get some of that Peppermint Mocha latte?
Or should I make my own? 
Maybe both!

In the video she makes a big batch of the mix, 24 servings worth. You can change the number of servings on the recipe and it adjusts the amounts for you. I plan to make one serving to make sure I like it before I make a whole jar. If I do that I'll happily share. Virtually, at least. 😉

• Love 6

Week 14:

I too am at the 0/5 table.

In keeping with o-shaped foods for us big zeros, I offer up the round Oreo, the most clued cookie in the NY Times Crossword, and, IIRC, one of those recent clues was that it is the most popular cookie in the US?

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__images__2017__08__20170811-oreos-vicky-wasik-4-e0fd1c95b66941ed9dd6243d5614ef97.jpg

ETA: Every time I down-size a picture on these boards I silently thank @saber5055, for explaining how to do it, which should be worth time off for good behavior, IMO.  

Whatevs.

Have a  cookie.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

Posting for a friend, who remains at the Round Table this week. 

WEEK 14 • Dec. 13, 2021 — THREE asterisks - Professors Tournament
66. Kings & Queens. Due to legislative action of 1707, she was officially the last monarch of independent Scotland.
* 67. 20th Century Physics. Puzzlingly heavy & long-lived particles discovered in the 1940s were dubbed this adjective later applied to even smaller particles. *
* 68. Awards. The Theodore Roosevelt Rough Rider Award honors influential people from this state, including Western author Louis L’Amour. *
* 69. World War II Geography. Body-of-water battles included the Coral Sea, Philippine Sea & this one that allowed Japan to seize Jakarta.  *
70. French Artists. The catalog of MOMA’s first exhibition called this artist who died in 1891 a “man of science” & “inventor of a method.”

For anyone interested, in Season 36 there were two weeks with three asterisks, weeks 7 and 12. In Season 37 there also were two weeks with three asterisks, weeks 5 and 13. There has never been a week with four asterisks although the contest host was thinking it might happen this week. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In keeping with o-shaped foods for us big zeros, I offer up the round Oreo, the most clued cookie in the NY Times Crossword, and, IIRC, one of those recent clues was that it is the most popular cookie in the US?

Yes, it was in the mini-puzzle earlier this week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Week fourteen: two of five with one asterisk. I got Queen Anne and North Dakota - I've been to TR National Park on a trip to visit family out in Montana.  

I came really, really close on Friday! I knew it was that guy from the musical Sunday in the Park with George, the guy that invented pointillism, you know, George, or maybe it was Georges... I could not remember his last name.

• Love 8

I was doing so well this week until Wednesday.... 2/5 1*   I flat out knew both of these and then didn't get any of the other others.  All of the answers made sense when I heard them but... wow...  Rough week.  

I made Peppermint Vodka the other day if it will make anybody's life more festive... and bought store brand oreos that have little bits of peppermint in them which does not sound as amazing as they are.  Seriously... like crack.   Basically I'm offering up all my peppermint treats.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I came really, really close on Friday! I knew it was that guy from the musical Sunday in the Park with George, the guy that invented pointillism, you know, George, or maybe it was Georges... I could not remember his last name

Aw, if we’d been a team, I could have supplied the name. I have seen that painting many times at the Chicago Art Institute. Maybe the MoMA reference in the clue threw me off. First I thought maybe someone from the Hudson River School, thinking it was the right time and landscape painting is sort of science-adjacent, and then I considered Dali, but knew that was wrong.

👆All of which is an example of "the burden of knowledge" (Buzzy):

In “the biz” we call this the “burden of knowledge” - when you know a lot about a subject and miss obvious answers cause you have to sift through so much. It is my excuse for doing poorly in pop music questions!

--with my "burden of knowledge" being art and art history, whereas I've never seen the musical.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

1/5.  I wasn't thrilled with Friday's FJ category but it turned out to be an instaget for me.

I should have got Queen Anne but the other three days I just had no idea and never would have.

So, I'll be bringing stick pretzels.

• Love 4

1847D941-B1C4-481C-8E69-3857FFFFC959.jpeg.f28b51b35af3f6b2543f2d8eb6ec17a1.jpeg

0/5 no * 

I think I might need more protein to rev up my brain so I am making cheeseburgers for the T4Z. I’ll put all the fixings on the side so you can build yours however you like it best. (My favorite fixings  are the grilled onion slice I put under the burger and the grilled brioche bun.)  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I made Peppermint Vodka the other day if it will make anybody's life more festive... and bought store brand oreos that have little bits of peppermint in them which does not sound as amazing as they are.  Seriously... like crack.   Basically I'm offering up all my peppermint treats.

Oooh! Are they the Peppermint Bark ones? I'm pretty sure I've had them before and now I will have to look when I go to Target later.

[Edit: I just realized you said store brand; there are Peppermint Bark Oreos that sound like the same thing.]

How do you make peppermint vodka?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Week 14: 2/5

YTD: 30/70, 2M*, 1*

I had just watched a CBS Sunday Morning with Patti Lupone interviewing Stephen Sondheim (part of a Sondheim tribute), and of course, Sunday in the Park With George was discussed. Not sure I would have gotten it without that recent reminder.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, bybrandy said:

and bought store brand oreos that have little bits of peppermint in them which does not sound as amazing as they are.

If you have a Trader Joe's, the Peppermint Jo-Jos are amazing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Week 14:  0/5.

Looks as if we might need more than one table for zero this week. We're already an eight top! 😮

0's are a crowd this week@ Me too. 0/5

And it seems like we're all bringing sweets!

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week ending 12/17 - 0/5

Here I am at the table for zero, again. Guess I'll never be a professor.

I found some nice round melted-snowman cookies.

image.png.4d9984126b4c0bbba2b78924aff394a6.png

image.png

Yum. That first one has an "Oh no Mr. Bill" expression. LOL

29 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

If you have a Trader Joe's, the Peppermint Jo-Jos are amazing!

Those are my contribution. They're what Thin Mints want to be when they grow up and get glamorous. Just finished our annual Christmas box.

image.png.b3c3bd526c728612ed765efd77891777.png

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

[Edit: I just realized you said store brand; there are Peppermint Bark Oreos that sound like the same thing.]

How do you make peppermint vodka?

They are absolutely the same thing.  My store has a special where you buy this one thing and then they give you a bunch of other things free to get you to try the store brand products and last week these cookies were one of the bunch of other things.   But they are absolutely the same thing and they are lovely.   Not as good though maybe as the Mexican hot chocolate ones... 

Seriously break up a couple of candy canes into a couple of inch pieces an put them in a mason jar with vodka.  Leave at room temperature for a day or two and give it a shake as you walk by... pretty soon 24 hours or so the candy canes will be dissolved and your vodka will be pepperminty and pink.   

I don't think I've had the peppermint Jo Jos.   Field trip to TJs Monday!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Seriously break up a couple of candy canes into a couple of inch pieces an put them in a mason jar with vodka.  Leave at room temperature for a day or two and give it a shake as you walk by... pretty soon 24 hours or so the candy canes will be dissolved and your vodka will be pepperminty and pink.   

Hmmm...I have some of those soft peppermint puff candies...and nearly-full bottle of Tito's.

(I was actually looking for candy canes for something else the other day and I swear they had every flavor under the sun (including Oreo!) except peppermint.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 14:   1/5  0*    Overall:  31/70  3*   (44%---not how I pictured the season going).

I'm at 23% which is just about what I figured.
But I was supposed to be here to lower the curve, not drag everyone else down with me.
Sorry. 😐

• LOL 7
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Hmmm...I have some of those soft peppermint puff candies...and nearly-full bottle of Tito's.

(I was actually looking for candy canes for something else the other day and I swear they had every flavor under the sun (including Oreo!) except peppermint.)

Those candies would totally work and I used part of the nearly full bottle of Tito's' I happened to have at home, as well.   

• Useful 2