Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, DXD526 said:

2/5, Tue & Fri. I thought I'd be starting out the week 1/1, as I was pretty certain my answer of Brigadoon was correct. So much for that. 

@DXD526 - I love that answer even if it is not correct - one of my early childhood favorite musicals and just today I stumbled upon the Hash episode of Barney Miller where Jack Soo bursts into "Almost Like Being In Love" so I am having a Brigadoon day.

5/5 somehow this week.  I can credit watching a lot of Britbox non fiction television recently with Monday being a instaget (also another childhood favorite musical).  Tuesday I first went the "shaken, not stirred"  route but switched to the correct answer in time.  For Wednesday, I was pretty sure it had to be NYC somewhere and thanks to a long ago boat tour around Manhattan, I went with that. 

Thursday I was lucky that the Carthaginian wars was acceptable and that I wasn't required to spell it but again Britbox and other Amazon Prime history/archeology program viewing of late came in handy.  For Friday, I give full credit to the movie "Capote" for firmly fixing their friendship in my mind. 

For food, I am in my anything but poultry until Thursday phase so will offer some Scottish sausage rolls and baked treats from a wonderful Scottish bakery nearby (which I am grateful survived the pandemic by turning to pick up and mail order although I miss going into their great little store).  See I have Brigadoon on the brain. 

Edited by Grundoon59
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

4/5 Missed the 3rd Punic War response. Monday, Tuesday, & Friday were instagets , and I got Wednesday thanks to a FJ clue years ago that referred to Manhattan as an island.

I said the Punic War but when Ken spoke on Taylor's response I thought I got it wrong and forgot that Carthaginian/Punic were interchangeable. Thank the maker!

And for this obsessive Bondhead, Tuesday's clue was a cakewalk. What a memorable entrance for one of the iconic characters of the silver screen.

• Love 5
On 11/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, j5cochran said:

Week ten: five for five! I was really digging with tonight's Final Jeopardy. I immediately knew Harper Lee, but it took 25 of the 30 seconds to remember the other name ("c'mon, idjit, he's the model for Scout's friend who comes to visit in the summer and he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's, oh, yeah, Truman Capote...").

LOL,, I was like Charles Baker Harris - Dill-  no his real name.  LOL.  I did get it, though, and in the appointed time.   

4/5- I said Peloponnesian war.   But was quite certain about all the rest.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

For food, I am in my anything but poultry until Thursday phase so will offer some Scottish sausage rolls and baked treats from a wonderful Scottish bakery nearby

How about some Scotch eggs? I love me some Scotch eggs!

• Love 6

4/5 for me. I forgot all about those Punic Wars.

Our contest host sits alone at the Table For Zero. Being half Scottish, our host would enjoy a handout of some of those Scottish treats while she sits alone and thinks how much better life would be in Brigadoon than in Camelot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, theartandsound said:

And for this obsessive Bondhead, Tuesday's clue was a cakewalk. What a memorable entrance for one of the iconic characters of the silver screen.

My first thought was "What, me worry?" then realized Alfred E. Neuman never made a movie. Next was "What's up doc?" since Bugs made plenty of movies although they were mostly shorts. Thank you brain cells for remembering Bond, James Bond in time.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, bybrandy said:LOL,, I was like Charles Baker Harris - Dill-  no his real name.  LOL.  I did get it, though, and in the appointed time.   

4/5- I said Peloponnesian war.   But was quite certain about all the rest.

Peloponnesian War was my guess too

1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

4/5 for me. I forgot all about those Punic Wars.

Our contest host sits alone at the Table For Zero. Being half Scottish, our host would enjoy a handout of some of those Scottish treats while she sits alone and thinks how much better life would be in Brigadoon than in Camelot.

Our hostess with the mostest is welcome to sit wherever she wants. It’s a perk of being the boss 😉

• Love 5
Just now, Prevailing Wind said:

Do you deliver?  I haven't had a Scotch egg in decades.

No, but they weren’t difficult to make. They were baked, not fried. Very good. Hardest part was peeling the eggs. They weren’t old enough. I find using eggs I’ve had for at least a week peel easier.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I just want to say I am thankful that I'm old enough to remember "don't trust anyone over 30" and also that my local station didn't preempt the Thanksgiving airing.  That is very likely the only thing keeping me from the big Zero this week.  But Friday waits to be seen.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

1/5. If I wasn’t so old, I wouldn’t have known that one. 

1/5 as well. Assuming your “if I wasn’t so old “ refers to the same as mine, I’m right there with you. 

Oh and no *'s, if that wasn't obvious.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3

3/5.  Monday & Tuesday I guessed wrong. Friday I couldn't imagine Watership Down as a beloved children's book, but I said it because Peter Rabbit was too early and I don't know any other rabbit books.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 11: 0/5

As promised at the start of the season, I'm just here to lower the curve.

You and me both. 0/5 for me too. Just think of it as a perfect score .

I have some lovely pumpkin chiffon pie and whipped cream.

7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Week 11:  0/5

I'm hanging my head in shame. I'll bring some bagels to the table; I'm not worthy of donuts. 🍩

I'll take bagels over donuts any time. No shame in having a bad week.

In addition to the pumpkin chiffon pie, I have my daughter's delicious Rosemary Rolls:

Rosemary Rolls.jpg

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

3/5 *

Took a moment for my mind to get to Ottawa. Amsterdam immediately popped into my head but Rideau is definitely non-Dutch, France would have been too obvious, what’s a cold country with French ties? Canada! Capital?? Oh shit! Ottawa!!! My 23 second thought process! 

The mention of the student’s age got me to the don’t pretty quickly. As I will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of my 30th birthday in 6 short weeks, I am definitely not to be trusted 🤪

Had no idea for Friday, but now I know why Watership Down is associated with rabbits. 

Turkey & andouille gumbo at T3. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6

Posting again for a friend.

WEEK 11 • Nov. 22, 2021 — ONE asterisk
51. 20th Century Presidents. He won an election in which he & his Democratic opponent were from Ohio & both were wealthy newspaper publishers.
* 52. World Capitals. An annual event called Winterlude includes skating on the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in this city.*
53. Awards & Honors. First awarded in 1731 to electricity pioneer Stephen Gray, the Copley Medal is awarded annually by this organization.
54. Famous Do’s & Don’ts. In 1964 Berkeley alum Jack Weinberg, age 24, told a San Francisco Chronicle reporter this now-famous “Don’t.”
55. Fictional Languages. Lapine is the name of the language created for this 1972 book beloved by children. 

• Love 6

2/5, Thu and Fri were both instagets (the rest of the week, not so much). Like many here, I was thrown by the "beloved by children" mention in Fri's clue, since I never considered Watership Down to be a children's book. Too violent and disturbing. But I knew it was the answer. 

Those rosemary rolls are ready for their close-up, Mr. DeMille!

• Love 3

Week eleven: two of five, without an asterisk. I was out of town the first half of the week and couldn't get any of those. But I'm old enough to remember not to trust anyone over thirty, and I guessed Watership Down despite knowing that it is not a kid's book. 

• Love 4
23 hours ago, illdoc said:

Wasn't that last week??? 

Week 11:  0/5    Overall: 26/55      Pumpkin Pie at T40 (pumpkins are round...ish)

I had turkey brain! Let me amend my score to 0/5. 
I’ll bring pecan pie made from fresh pecans from my daughter’s tree. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I had turkey brain! Let me amend my score to 0/5. 
I’ll bring pecan pie made from fresh pecans from my daughter’s tree. 

Seriously!?! 
Is there a home for sale near your daughter and her pecan tree and her pie-baking-oven?
That would *top* son-in-law's homemade whipped cream——which was served on *top* of Wegman's pecan pie.
And I'm not sure that having a new grandchild and my daughter nearby tops fresh-pecan pie. 😆

Anyhoo, now I am quite pleased to be sitting at the 0/5 table.

image.png.a05adebfd8f547c3213f6897229c317e.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

1/5. I haven't read Watership Down, but I know its all about rabbits. I don't think of it as a children's book, but a good friend of mine was obsessed with it in fifth grade. That's 10 and 11 year olds, so I guess that's children. I remember feeling very mature then (it comes and goes), so I didn't feel like a kid, but I guess we were.

And my "don't" was "Don't ask, don't tell," just because I couldn't think of any other don'ts. Terrible answer all around, but literally all I could think of.

• Love 2

1/5 because while Watership Downs isn't a children's book I knew I was looking for rabbits and Beatrix Potter is way, way, way before the 1970s.   WAY before.   

I was on the right track with the don't but forgot the actual saying.  Sigh.   

Guessed McKinley because he was from Ohio..  So many presidents from Ohio.

Well, I had two good weeks in a row before this.  

And I had loads of good food.

• Love 7