Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3/5 with one *.  I got Harding just in time (he is one of those Presidents that I have trouble remembering much about although he did have a lot of scandals in his life/death.  I do remember his middle name because it won me a trivia contest in a college history class). 

Ottawa popped in my brain - have heard for years about the winter events there and was researching a stop there for the last trip Mother Grundoon and I were planning but didn't get to take. 

Didn't get the Royal Society - Copley left me stuck in Boston and didn't make it back to England and not sure I would have gotten the Royal Society in any case.  I did get the "don't trust..." quote in time but did not make it anywhere near Watership Down. 

I will blame my Thanksgiving haze for not having any good food ideas for the T43 but I will offer mulled cider (spiked and unspiked) as a beverage. 

Loved the Scotch egg comments from my post last week - if anyone would like the name of the Scottish bakery I referenced which does mail order and periodically has Scotch eggs, send me a message.  Always glad to help a local favorite business. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Loved the Scotch egg comments from my post last week - if anyone would like the name of the Scottish bakery I referenced which does mail order and periodically has Scotch eggs, send me a message.  Always glad to help a local favorite business. 

Me too please. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Our contest host has taken up permanent residence at Table Zero. You can find her there.

When I said I was joining to lower the curve, I didn't mean to flatten it entirely! LOL.
But we have an endless virtual supply of pecan pie and whipped cream to go around.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Saber sends this message to all contest players who made her birthday better with such nice greetings. They helped a lot.

ETA: The tournament is running instead of regular play games so it will just be part of the regular season's contest.  

585881907_BirthdayBartcopy.jpg.bcb0427414d3c564800a4e22e4576d85.jpg

Edited by PBnJay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Week 12: 1/5

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week ending 12/3: 1/5

I'ma just sit here at the table for 1 with a sad TV dinner.

I'm here too!
With leftovers.
Given the personal chaos of the later half of this week, it's a good thing I got Tuesday.
I think there's enough stuff going on for everyone that we should get some kind of bonus handicap points like I think maybe they do in golf.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Keeping my head above water at 1/5, thanks to the Hunchback.  Friday's answer came to me as the incorrect responses were being revealed.  Too little too late for that.

I think you should call that 2/5. Just my opinion.

• Love 5

WEEK 12 • Nov. 29, 2021 — NO asterisk
56. 19th Century Literature. Its first line says, “The good people of Paris were awakened by a grand peal from all the bells in the three districts of the city.”
57. International Friendship. The organization these International was founded in 1956; they’re partner-städte in Germany & villes jumelées in France.
58. Planned Cities. A recent immigrant, Lady Denman, wife of the Governor-General, announced the name of this new national capital at a 1913 ceremony.
59. Journalists in History. Bismarck Tribune correspondent Mark Kellogg died June 25, 1876 while on a field assignment covering this man.
60. Organizations. In the U.S. & its territories, this nonprofit whose roots trace to 1980 fulfills a word in its name every 34 minutes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

4/5. Monday to Thursday.  I thought this was my week, after all these years, to get 5/5 but Friday's FJ put an end to that.  Obvious answer in hindsight but all I could come up with was Habitat for Humanity.

• Love 4

Week 12: 5/5.  So far: 46/60.  Bringing cranberry salad to share with everyone.

This was a terrible week for me on several fronts, and Jeopardy was a respite. Friday it hit me that the organization's name must have a verb in it, which narrowed the options considerably.

• Love 6

2/5 for me. I’m going to contribute a charcuterie that everyone is welcome to share. 

P.S. I’m baking a large 3 tier birthday cake so we can all sing Happy Birthday to Saber. Different layers will be different flavors so there should be something everyone likes. 🎂

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a post script.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

5/5 A combination of knowledge, lucky guesses, & actually remembering names instead of that guy/city, etc. 

I have the same sweater Amy wore on Friday’s game. From Target’s librarian cardigan collection (as my husband calls it) ca 2014. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

2/5 for me. I’m going to contribute a charcuterie that everyone is welcome to share. 

P.S. I’m baking a large 3 tier birthday cake so we can all sing Happy Birthday to Saber. Different layers will be different flavors so there should be something everyone likes. 🎂

Also 2/5, and I have been craving a good charcuterie for ages!

Happy birthday to @saber5055! We miss you.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, secnarf said:

Happy birthday to @saber5055! We miss you.

I realize this icon: 
reaction-surprise.png

has "surprise" as its alt text for screen readers, but for purposes of this thread at this time, I have "liked" anyone's post in the past week who reported getting 5/5 with that icon because, to me, it looks like: Wow! 

• Love 7

Happy Belated Birthday @saber5055.  We miss you.  

2/5 for me.  Hunchback and Custer were instagets.   Canberra and Make a wish were doh.. yeahs... when the answer came up and the wording of the sister city question never made sense to me.  Even when the answer was revealed I was like, "Okay, I guess that makes sense... maybe..."  Seriously, I couldn't parse the answer at all.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

the wording of the sister city question never made sense to me.  Even when the answer was revealed I was like, "Okay, I guess that makes sense... maybe..."  Seriously, I couldn't parse the answer at all.

Sister Cities was my first correct FJ response in weeks.
The clue was worded:

• The organization these International was founded in 1956; they’re Partnerstädte in Germany & villes jumelées in France

Maybe some punctuation would have helped?

• The organization [these] International was founded in 1956; they’re "Partnerstädte" in Germany & "villes jumelées" in France

Or maybe even:

• The organization [These] International—founded in 1956—was known as "Partnerstädte" in Germany & "villes jumelées" in France

But this👆 version might not have fit in the Jeopardy! clue square.

Edited by shapeshifter
added another option
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have "liked" anyone's post in the past week who reported getting 5/5 with that icon because, to me, it looks like: Wow! 

It's fine if you were surprised at my 5/5, because I sure was!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I’ll add to the leftover turkey. I also have cranberry with orange which is absolutely delicious, but I am the only one who eats it. Even my most adventurous MiniToothbrush eater gave it 👎 and prefers the imprinted canned stuff that my husband loves. He buys half a dozen cans at this time of year so he can indulge year round. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5