Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

2/5. Friday wasn't quite an instaget, but close. When the first two missed it, I realized that with an Amy whiff, I was in line for a * and an A*. I was yelling "Don't get it!" as they went to her, but apparently, she didn't hear me. 

That mousse looks awesome! Does anyone remember Jello 1-2-3? Visually, it kind of reminds me of that. Probably tastes a whole lot better, though. Not to deride Jello 1-2-3, I loved that junk as a kid! 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, labresq said:

0 for me this week.

I’m pretty sure there’s still a lot of round food upthread left over from all of our many Zeros, like:

On 1/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, shapeshifter said:

For those of us at the Zer0 table, I bring round, snow globe cookies by the wife of an astronomer I follow on Twitter:

On 1/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, shapeshifter said:

snow-globe-cookies.png.b1f2074bd7169226a8a2e0dc3edb43ab.png

https://twitter.com/BadAstronomer/status/1474473892123189262?s=20

I imagine there will be enough to pass around to the other tables. 

• Love 5

Week nineteen: one. Just one, no asterisk, no Amysterisk. I got T-rex and then whiffed the rest of the week.

I'm trying to be a bit more healthy in this new year - hey, it's still January! I found a new recipe for stewed tomatoes that makes me think of summertime, even when you use canned tomatoes.

• Love 4

3/5 1 A* Monday, Wednesday, Friday were instant gets for me.  Thursday I was around it but I just didn't grab that right word.  Tuesday.  I was sure I'd be like "Oh, yeah" when I heard the answer but I was not.  I'd never heard of the award and I wasn't familiar enough with Moliere's dates for him to ping for me.  

I'm all about the beignets and offer up some café au lait to go with it and some po boys for those wanting something a little more savory.  

• Love 4

4+1A*. I'm not up on my French awards.

Everything sounds delicious this week, all things that I love. I'm willing to give up my score if I can join in at ALL the tables! The NOLA theme suits me well. Cafe du Monde = good times.

• Love 6

4/5 with 2 A*.  I could not make my Monday brain get anywhere near TRex even though I was working with all my might. 

Moliere was almost an Instaget (although I started to second guess myself on dates), not because I knew the award but just trying to come up with possible French dramatists of the time.  Got Legally Blonde at the very last second after my mind wandered to memories of the Paper Chase movie and tv series.  Frontier was the only thing I could think off (I worked in 2020 as an enumerator for the Census and vaguely remembered that the training talked about all the uses of the data historically and currently).

On Friday, I had the fun experience of watching Jeopardy with other people for the first time since Mother Grundoon died.  My neighbors invited me over to watch the show and then The Tragedy of MacBeth.  It was such fun to share the experience, even the "how the heck did you know that?" moment when I said Ararat.

All the food sounds amazing - I will bring a green salad to counterbalance. 

• Love 7

0/5 for me. 🤷‍♀️

I'll bring hot cocoa, made with squares of unsweetened 100% cocoa bars broken into it, to cut the too-sweet instant mix.
Your choice of milks mixed in to cool and mellow it just a little (e.g., unsweetened soy or oat).
Vanilla extract or Vodka optional.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Week 20:  1/5, A* (The final one. 😥 )

I'm so mad at myself for not getting John Denver, but my brain just didn't go there. When I saw the category, I was delighted as that's definitely in my wheelhouse. Before the clue was read, I was thinking about Cat Stevens and Jim Croce. Then "State Song" had me thinking "Sweet Home Alabama" or "Ohio," which certainly would never be used as a state song! And neither of those could be considered to be about drugs. I never got to "Rocky Mountain High." 😩

• Love 8
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm so mad at myself for not getting John Denver, but my brain just didn't go there.

My mom had a few John Denver tapes in the car when I was a kid and I listened to them a lot but I don't recall that song being in heavy rotation. Didn't occur to me but once it was revealed I said "Duh."

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Week 20:   One of the (frustratingly) rare 5/5   (plus 1*) weeks    Overall:   50/100   8*    50%.

I’m jealous, astounded ( only because I have never done that well or think that I could ever pull of that score) yet very happy for you. *applause* 

• Love 5

WEEK 20 • Jan. 24, 2022 — ONE asterisk TWO A*
A* 96. U.S. Museums. Named for a benefactor, it was established in 1893 to house artifacts from the nearby World’s Columbian Exposition. A*
97. Sea Life. In 2018 National Geographic reported that half of this was dead, “akin to a forest after a devastating fire.”
A* 98. Countries of the World. The only nation in the world whose name in English ends in an H, it’s also one of the 10 most populous. A*
* 99. 18th Century Names. In 1793 he left Dublin for the United States, saying, “I expect to make a fortune” off George Washington, & he did. * (First game w/o Amy) 
100. 1970s Singer-Songwriters. While speaking to Congress in 1985, he explained that his 1973 hit, now a state song, wasn’t about drugs. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Week 20:   One of the (frustratingly) rare 5/5   (plus 1*) weeks    Overall:   50/100   8*    50%.

Wait, if you got 5/5, you must have gotten all the *'s and A*'s, right?  Don't sell yourself short!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, if you got 5/5, you must have gotten all the *'s and A*'s, right?  Don't sell yourself short!

Yes @illdoc, you have been recorded by the Contest Host as a 5/5 with 1* and 2A*. Huzzah!

@OperaLover1229, the Contest Scorekeeper does not have your score for last week, Jan. 17, Week 19. If you posted, please repost please and thank you!

22 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Will we continue to track our Mattsterisks and Amysterisks in the TOC?

Yes! If there are any! That ToC will be historic.

23 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'll bring hot cocoa

I see what you did there!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m jealous, astounded ( only because I have never done that well or think that I could ever pull of that score) yet very happy for you. *applause* 

I've gotten 5 once so far, way back in week 2. My average so far is 1.9 per week.

• Love 3

4/5 with 2 a* I think.   I missed the Washington one.  I mean it totally made sense once I saw the answer, but...   I didn't know he was Irish and I was thinking of journalists/writers.  Sigh.  

• Love 2