Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Looks like there’s going to be a larger number of people sitting at the T41 this week. Slide over folks. I’m joining you there. I’m going to bring the ingredients to make custom ice cream sundaes. I think we all need a little fat to get our brains working better. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

1/5. Again.

I brought some music...

Aw, my favorite band when I was a teen. Had such a crush on Cory.

2/5 - book-ended the week.

I'm thinking Mexican. I make a great chorizo soup (my own recipe), for those who like things spicy.

• Love 4
On 11/4/2021 at 8:20 PM, SoMuchTV said:

For no reason I can explain, Suriname popped into my head. But I’ll take it.

^^ Thursday, and vv Friday:

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, then I second guessed myself that maybe it had been introduced earlier than that, but I stuck with it -- I'd never heard "land adventurer", but falling out of favor in '69/'70 screamed G.I. Joe to me.

Things got better as the week went on.  So, 2/5.  No * available, right?

• Love 2

4/5 - I couldn’t come up with Surinam. On Friday I thought Ken or GI Joe but Ken was no “land adventurer” so GI Joe it was. “Scream” was very easy. The year 1969 gave away the answer Eagle and I guessed on Kepler. I’ll add lasagna soup from Wegmans to the soup buffet. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Week 8: 2/5

YTD: 20/40, 2M*

I had a perfect week going in to Thursday, but I spoiled it by getting both Thursday and Friday FJ!

If Clan's bringing soup, how about Mexican wedding cookies to go with?

Sounds great! Any other two know how to make margaritas?

• Love 3

3/5

I never remember Kepler, and my first thought for Thursday was Curaçao, but then wondered if it was part of the UN & changed my answer to “that South American country. Crap, what’s the name”.

Oslo + painting = The Scream. Eagle was easy because of the year in the clue, and I remember my brother having a GI Joe. He had outgrown it by the time I got into Barbies so he became Ken’s rival. 

Corn grits at TF3? I gild the lily with Monterey Jack cheese. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:

Week eight: four of five. Like many others, I thought that Galileo's friend was Tycho Brahe. 

I just found a recipe for meatballs in mushroom cream sauce. I think I'll try it this week!

I didn't think Galileo's friend was Tycho Brahe but I answered that anyway because the only thing I remember about Tycho Brahe was about his nose but I figure he had to have had some astronomical significance that made him worthwhile enough for me to have learned about his nose in astronomy class...  but I don't know what that was so I just answer him whenever I don't know the astronomy answer because one day it will be right. 

3/5 Eagle, The Scream, and GI Joe.  

I decided just now I should learn what Tycho Brahe was famous for (outside of his nose) but so far I have only gotten this far on his wikipedia page and I just cant anymore....

"Tycho was well known in his lifetime as an astronomer, astrologer, and alchemist. He has been described as "the first competent mind in modern astronomy to feel ardently the passion for exact empirical facts"."  

According to further down the page Kepler worked as an assistant to Brahe so there is a connection there.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I went 4/5 this week.  Eagle was an Instaget since I remember the Moon Landing rather vividly - I was almost 10 and knew it was extra-special if only because all the grown-ups seemed so excited about it. 

Couldn't get Kepler into the front part of my brain so said Brahe even though I was almost sure it was wrong.  Scream was another that popped into my head quickly partly due a recent rewatch of some QI episodes which included a discussion of the painting.  Got Suriname quickly too but can't for the life of me figure out why. 

GI Joe was the only answer I could come up with even though I was sure it had been around for a much longer period of time.   Oh well, another thing to add my "I can't believe I am older than _______"  list.

As usual the food at T44 sounds like scrumptious and hearty fare as we enter into serious fall.  I will offer up garlic bread and a nice green salad to pass as sides. 

• Love 3

I'm slipping backward, 3/5 this week. I got Eagle, Scream and Kepler. I said Stretch Armstrong instead of G.I. Joe, and couldn't come up with any Dutch-speaking country. 

Now I want to know what was up with Tycho Brahe's nose though.

I think I'll bring apple cider, hot and cold, regular and high test, for this week's potluck. Bring a thermos for take out if you wish.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I went 4/5 this week.  Eagle was an Instaget since I remember the Moon Landing rather vividly - I was almost 10 and knew it was extra-special if only because all the grown-ups seemed so excited about it.

I was 13 and we were stationed in Germany. I was a huge fan of NASA (one of my elementary schools had a Gemini Tracking station on the top floor).

My dad, on the other hand, didn't think it was worthy enough to stay up late to watch it. I am still pissed off to this day - especially when I watch anything about it.

• Love 4

I remember most of the kids in our neighborhood (and there were a ton back in the baby boomer days) were allowed to stay up to watch but until things really got going on television, there were informal gatherings outside in backyards - almost like a block party but not as formal. 

One thing that always stuck with me was the reaction of our next door neighbor who was sort of an extra grandparent to me who couldn't believe she had gone from everyone running outside whenever a plane went over since it was so unusual (not a jet mind you but any kind of plane) to seeing people land on the moon.  It was probably the first time my mind grasped how much could change in one person's lifetime. 

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

One thing that always stuck with me was the reaction of our next door neighbor who was sort of an extra grandparent to me who couldn't believe she had gone from everyone running outside whenever a plane went over since it was so unusual (not a jet mind you but any kind of plane) to seeing people land on the moon.  It was probably the first time my mind grasped how much could change in one person's lifetime. 

I remember in the mid-1960s, visiting my paternal grandmother. She asked my dad if he thought that she would ever see a man on the moon. Dad said, of course, you will. It will happen before the end of the decade (Dad agreed with President Kennedy on the importance of the space program!). Grandma was amazed, as she told us that she vividly remembered when the Wright Brothers had their first flight when she was eight years old! (And she did survive to see the Eagle land, as did my maternal grandmother, who was 15 at the time of the first flight.)

What will we see in our lifetimes?

• Love 14

These stories from everyone's grandparents are fascinating, thanks for posting them. The older generations have so much to share, I love hearing their stories. Life was so different when they were kids, I could listen to those stories all day long.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Now I want to know what was up with Tycho Brahe's nose though.

When he was in college Tycho Brahe lost part of his nose in a dual and wore a prosthetic nose for the remainder of his life.   His body was exhumed twice and one of those times they determined that his nose was likely made of brass.  They also determined that he likely wasn't murdered by mercury poisoning which had been previously at least considered.   

• Useful 4
On 11/8/2021 at 8:56 PM, bybrandy said:

When he was in college Tycho Brahe lost part of his nose in a dual and wore a prosthetic nose for the remainder of his life.   His body was exhumed twice and one of those times they determined that his nose was likely made of brass. 

I guess Brahe did it first, before Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou! Thanks for the explanation byebrandy. Another tidbit learned here!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I know it's early, but.... will the Professors Tournament be part of the contest (it's in prime time for a week)? We did not include the GOAT Tournament, so I'm thinking no. If it was during the regular syndicated shows, yes, but not if it's prime time. Any other opinions?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I know it's early, but.... will the Professors Tournament be part of the contest (it's in prime time for a week)? We did not include the GOAT Tournament, so I'm thinking no. If it was during the regular syndicated shows, yes, but not if it's prime time. Any other opinions?

It's always fun to match wits with the contestants - but it might be a bit too much work for @saber5055 to take on. At least as an official contest. Maybe we could create a professor's tournament contest as its own thread and keep track of our own scores?

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It's always fun to match wits with the contestants - but it might be a bit too much work for @saber5055 to take on. At least as an official contest. Maybe we could create a professor's tournament contest as its own thread and keep track of our own scores?

It's a two-week prime time contest, which is a lot of extra information for @saber5055 to have to track. I like the idea of a separate thread for the prof's tournament, and we can report our scores and snark on the shows apart from the regular, daytime show.

• Love 4

4/5 with 2* by far my best showing of the season!!!!   

I missed the population question and even considered it.  I always think Indonesia is smaller than it is.  I totally need to learn more about Indonesia.   

I was surprised that the Hope Diamond was a TS. It was an instaget for me.  

Tom Stoppard was a little funny because I was like Oh... that play ... and... are dead... from hamlet... the Tom Stoppard play!!!   And then I reread the question and Was like PHEW Tom Stoppard.  Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were dead from my memory for a bit there, thankfully.   

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm with you at the T41. We won't be too lonely though. 

Let's go 70's and have fondue and quiche. ;)

Yum!  
Oh. Wait. You probably meant cheese fondue to go with quiche.

Can we have chocolate fondue too, please?

I was imagining 

image.jpeg.98f674919c3c1574ae283a4c99e40839.jpeg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4