Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

While I was never read to as a child, I do remember my dad telling stories that he had made up. They were fun and entertaining although memories are vague since he died when I was 5. My mom was a voracious reader, always a book in hand. She just never read to me and we had no children's books. She gave me a copy of Wind in the Willows when I was too young to be able to understand it, although I did enjoy it when I got old enough.

• Love 2

2/5 for me this week. Yogi Berra was an instant get. My parents didn’t read to me but I had an Aunt who bought books for me and I could read before I went to school. I was in the 2nd grade when I discovered the library and spent many hours there. I don’t think my Mother knew what I read or much cared. I was allowed to read whatever I wanted and the high school kid who worked at the library paid no attention to what I checked out.

• Love 3

My mom gave me her copy of LIttle Women when I was too young for it. A few years later, I devoured the book.

We started off with Golden Books. We always had books - Mom signed up my brother for some children's book club and I was supposed to read the books when Joe was done with them. I think I read most of 'em before Joe did.  When I outgrew the Golden Books, Mom donated them to the church's kindergarten. I was helping to set up something once and ended up in the kindergarten area and was SO angered at what those brats had done to my beloved books! Scribbled in them with purple crayon!  Tore the pages!!  I cried.

• Love 2

I don't remember my parents reading "kids" books to me, but my mom read me the first three volumes of The Chronicles of Narnia (we lived in a small town and couldn't find book four in our local used book store). But I know I was reading before I was 4. I had a series of books based on Disney movies that had an audio cassette reading of the books. I remember chasing my several-years-older cousins while reciting The Rescuers book when I was about 3. 40+ years later I still remember parts of that book by heart.

I also remember wanting to read Frog and Toad out loud to my kindergarten class and my teacher telling me I didn't know how to read yet. I read part of it to her, but she still wouldn't let me do it for the class.

Edited by Ailianna

4/5, 1*, 1M*

Family legend says I taught myself to read at age 3. (I have no recollection of not being able to read or when I started). At age 5, I presented myself at the local public library to get my own library card because my father was only allowed to check out so many children's books on his. The lady at the desk was quite skeptical but said I could get my own card if I could read the application out loud to her, which I did. The only problem was that, while I could read, I couldn't write cursive and could not sign my name on the application.  But they allowed me to print my name and I proudly went home with both my library card and the maximum number of children's books allowed.

• Love 9

4/5 with 1* and the memorial M*. 

As an avid reader as a child and adult, I wonder how people who post here are different from non-readers. Do those people even have an interest in Jeopardy?

I'm bringing four pizzas to the Table For Four, each with four different toppings. Everyone is invited to share, but no more than four slices each, please!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 7

Thanks everyone for your prompt reporting. Our winner for Week 5 had some very appropriate scores and displayed such a clever score pattern over these five weeks that this person was the obvious winner. Not only does @Grundoon59 tell the best stories ever, every week, Grundoon59 has been secretly playing the best odds of any contest player, scoring 4, 5, 4, 5, 4 since Week 1. And note Grundoon scored 5 in Week 4 and 4 in Week 5, making it even more clever. Perfect planning, Grundoon! And very appreciated by this pattern fan.

And to help you with future scoring, I'm awarding you this pair of magic dice that are guaranteed to help you keep up the pattern. Just give 'em a roll at the end of this week and let us know your new score!

1361071836_45dice.jpg.551227baf9919fba611d5cadf8401dbe.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Thank you for the honor @saber5055!  I do not want to disappoint you but I wasn't looking at it from enough of a distance to see the pattern (maybe a forest for the trees kind of thing).  But I do appreciate a good pattern and will try to continue it maybe with the help of the magical dice.  Thanks again!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, please.

When I searched for Neapolitan ice cream one of the results was tiny ice cream tubs; on closer look I discovered they were adorable little doll house accessories.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, secnarf said:

You and me both! Nice to have company :)

Just a couple o' Eeyores, that's us. 
Have some:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.372e6fcfc0d82233b52f074916929681.png

Or:

BA21626A-B031-4860-AFAE-1FE14AEE867A.jpeg

(nuked frozen whole strawberries, All Natural Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream, unsweetened cocoa powder)
Inspired by @ams1001's Neapolitan ice cream sandwich

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

WEEK 6 • Oct. 18, 2021 — NO asterisk
26. Names on the Map. From 1824 to 1825 this hero toured all 24 states & an Indiana city was named for him.
27. Contemporary Authors. He has studied Cordon Bleu cooking, but is known for his 1981 creation of a character with unconventional taste in cuisine.
28. 19th Century Supreme Court Decisions. The first “self-evident” truth in the Declaration of Independence was quoted & found not to apply to this plaintiff.
29. World Geography. This country of 16,600 square miles has a possession more than 50 times as large.
30. 1970s Top 40 Hits. Seeing a poster for a production of “Cyrano de Bergerac” in a seedy Paris hotel & ladies of the evening nearby inspired this hit.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

BA21626A-B031-4860-AFAE-1FE14AEE867A.jpeg

(nuked frozen whole strawberries, All Natural Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream, unsweetened cocoa powder)
Inspired by @ams1001's Neapolitan ice cream sandwich

Ooh! I have all of those things! I love the TH All Natural (I have the "Homemade Vanilla" cuz they didn't have Vanilla Bean last week).

I need to make some more chocolate syrup this weekend.

• Love 3

I don't think I've ever had chicken pot pie.
But then I've never had caviar either.

If I'd been playing, I would have wagered big on the 1970s TOP 40 HITS category and lost because I was off the grid by 1978. 

I would be wise to stick to 1960s HITS FJ categories with big (imaginary) wagers. 

And ice cream sandwiches.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

If I'd been playing, I would have wagered big on the 1970s TOP 40 HITS category and lost because I was off the grid by 1978. 

I would be wise to stick to 1960s HITS FJ categories with big (imaginary) wagers. 

Ditto.

• Love 3

3/5 this week, a step up!

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Week 6: 3/5

How about some ice cream sandwiches..?

image.png.372e6fcfc0d82233b52f074916929681.png

Oh yes. I love eating each individual flavor and getting my hands sticky with the "bread."

Something classic like that needs something classic to go along with it. How about a pot roast? I make a mean pot roast.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I started out as a child with Swanson pot pies (tasty to me then, barely palatable now), graduated to Marie Calendar's (still tasty), and then on to making my own (the tastiest - though I like Marie's crusts better). It's a simple dish to make if you use pre-made shells. Pillbury's used to be good, but they're not anymore. I don't know what happened.

Never had caviar, never intend to. There are some culinary bridges I won't cross.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I love chicken pot pie and ice cream sandwiches. Now that's a meal!

Sounds good to me!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Me, neither. I would happily try a chicken pot pie. Don't like fish in general, not interested in trying caviar,

48 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Something classic like that needs something classic to go along with it. How about a pot roast? I make a mean pot roast.

Ooh, that sounds good. I love a good pot roast. I have some potatoes...

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’ve had both; I’d much rather have chicken pot pie. We like Marie Callender. When I make my own, I use crescent roll dough and only use a top crust.

• Love 4

5/5 

I tried caviar a total of once, at my engagement party 28 years ago, and only because my mother made me. She loves it, but I was less than impressed. My 21-year old palette wasn’t as sophisticated as it is now 🤣 j/k my kids are more adventurous eaters than I am!! 

Jason’s Deli of all places has delicious pot pie soup.

I’m in a pumpkin mood despite the 87 degree weather, so pumpkin bread & pumpkin rolls for the T5. I’m also craving frozen grapes 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Jason’s Deli of all places has delicious pot pie soup.

Oh, that does sound good. Before the pandemic I used to go to local Empty Bowl events (benefit for programs that help people with food insecurity). It was a soup supper, and local restaurants would provide the soup. Last time I was there, I had an amazing pot roast soup. I was looking forward to it again, but no joy this year.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I started out as a child with Swanson pot pies

Thank you for your business. It's appreciated.

I've not seen Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches, but I'm up for those. And I read @shapeshifter's "All Natural Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream" as all natural turkey ice cream. PASS.

I had caviar once as a kid, my mom had some for some event and I tried a spoonful. All I remember was, it was way salty, don't remember any taste other than that. When I was editing a convention newspaper in NOLA where my nephew works at a hotel in the French Quarter, he set it up for me to have dinner at the hotel restaurant on him. With appetizers the waiter brought a small cup of caviar, which I though was pretty extravagant, although the meal itself was high end. After letting it sit for nearly the entire meal, I decided to give the caviar a try ... and it was finely chopped black olives! Which, actually, tasted pretty much as I remembered the caviar to taste. So there's a tip if anyone wants to impress their friends and scare their enemies ... ripe olive caviar!

I'm at the T42 this week. I've forgotten where my special upholstered chair is any more, I can't find it. So someone, save me a seat. I got Monday and Tuesday, then couldn't think of Dredd Scott for Wednesday so grabbed John Brown out of the air (didn't hurt him although he was slightly offended). Then went with Portugal for Thursday, even though I know it doesn't own Brazil. I had totally forgotten about someone wanting to buy Iceland, but I've blocked a lot of things that have happened lately. Then yesterday the obvious answer was Lady Marmalade, right?

Pot roast ... I haven't had that since Mom used to make it for special Sunday dinners. It will go well with that chick pot pie and Neapolitan ice cream. I have leftover eating utensils and place settings from last week, all safer to share than anything "edible" I might make.

3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I’m in a pumpkin mood despite the 87 degree weather

Holy cow, frost here last night, and I've had to put on socks for the first time this year. Plus t-shirt, sweatshirt AND fleece jacket as I sit here. Pass me some warm weather, please!

Edited by saber5055
LOLA is very different than NOLA.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, secnarf said:
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

0/5 for me this week.

You and me both! Nice to have company :)

I won't mention that it's suspicious given you two sit next to each other on the score sheet.

• LOL 5
30 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

1/5 🤢 Thought for a moment it would be 2/5; had way too much confidence in Lady Marmalade...

Yeah.
When I confidently yell out questions in the form of answers that turn out to be wrong, I am *so* glad I am watching alone. 

I don't know how confident Jonathan was about "Honky Tonk Women," but I was very sure I had it right.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And I read @shapeshifter's "All Natural Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream" as all natural turkey ice cream. PASS.

Heh. Understandable. I like it because its ingredients consist only of milk, sugar, and vanilla.
I try to keep my sugar intake low, but if it's ice cream...🤷‍♀️

There a lot of other products/brands I would buy if they would Be More Specific than "natural flavors."

• Love 3

And now my brain is stuck on the jingle: "Ice cream, good and how! Chocolate cake, it's a wow. Costs the same for both now. Have an ice cream sandwich."

My Zevoneer friends used to have a party every year to celebrate Warren Zevon and his music. The hosts always made pot roast.  It's from "Excitable Boy" - "Oh, he went down to dinner in his Sunday best (excitable boy, they all said) and he rubbed the pot roast all over his chest* (excitable boy, they all said.)"

*According to WZ's ex-wife, that actually happened.  She made a killer pot roast.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And now my brain is stuck on the jingle: "Ice cream, good and how! Chocolate cake, it's a wow. Costs the same for both now. Have an ice cream sandwich."

One of the things that came up when I searched was a Neapolitan ice cream cake, which looked like a bottom layer of chocolate cake with layers of strawberry and vanilla ice cream on top.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2021 at 1:49 PM, saber5055 said:

I've not seen Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches, but I'm up for those. And I read @shapeshifter's "All Natural Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream" as all natural turkey ice cream. PASS.

I looked for turkey ice cream (hey, they made Thanksgiving dinner flavored sodas, why not ice cream?). Found Turkey Hill ice cream, Turkish ice cream, and this cute little guy...

image.png.b42e8ea1bb8677f067338ea854f76611.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5