Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

This week was generally mostly terrible and I only got 1/5.

Gonna drown my sorrows in cake.

image.png.cb929b578f45bc8a22423f5338ae0400.png

1/5 as well. (unless Frost counts as half). Love that cake. I'll bring the gallon of ice cream to go with it. Flavors any Ones?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

The consolation prize for the 3 of us at T40 is #1 Comfort Food:

image.jpeg.58f73f46a45bc8c04e066fdbbb1782f3.jpeg 

(macaroni and cheese)

I'm down with that.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

1/5 as well. (unless Frost counts as half). Love that cake. I'll bring the gallon of ice cream to go with it. Flavors any Ones?

I'm a simple gal; a basic chocolate and vanilla gets my vote.

• Love 2

3/5 * Got Jane Goodall, Anna Kareninna & Santiago. I only got Santiago because we went to visit Dr Toothbrush’s cousin there a few years ago and I learned it was on a similar latitude to Australia while searching for child appropriate facts for the MiniToothbrushes.

I got Robert Frost but not Eugene O’Neil, and knew yesterday’s song but not the name. Any partial credit is appreciated  

We have so many stops on Thanksgiving (2 sets of in-laws), that the last thing we want is more food to bring home. But my mom’s side of the family does Thanksgiving at my aunt’s house, so we do Turkey day at my parents’ that Saturday. No one is rushing to get anywhere else and we get all of our favorite dishes. And my mom has takeout containers ready to go. 

Speaking of Thanksgiving, one of my Jeopardy tidbits in the 1 in a billion chance I ever get on the show, is that my first Thanksgiving as a married woman I mistook sweetened condensed milk for evaporated milk when making mashed potatoes. And 28 years later I’m still asked if I am bringing mashed potatoes for dessert 🤣🤣 How does that sound T3??? 😆

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)

It's Halloween Weekend guys, so Halloween Feast is the theme at the T42 where I sit this week. Costumes optional but as you can see I am wearing mine. Here's the buffet lineup: Vampire Heart Pies, Devil May Care Spaghetti, Victor Frankenstein Frosty Malts, Tombstone (no additional adjectives needed) Pizza, Jolly Jack O'Lantern Full O'Candy Holders and Daddy Long Legs Stick To Your Ribs Googly Eyes Dessert. All Contest players are welcome to join in.

lastminutehalloween_26.jpg.f8e045721fcc0227def17a1c8cc028c4.jpg  lastminutehalloween_082.jpg.44f06e3a8f37f2be18a6b67f7ed1523d.jpg  lastminutehalloween_27.jpg.dd04700066a7b81b93b706ecc8ebe321.jpg  lastminutehalloween_32.jpg.3db622053d0cc8f43c4f0fccbcfa3a51.jpg

lastminutehalloween_29.jpg.369dd09a4be6bb7dd3e1675d84ae307e.jpg  lastminutehalloween_10.jpg.187baadfb712446ffb04e3ea7a5faf63.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

While none of the dishes you've laid out would benefit from the addition of ketchup, this from Heinz is one of the cooler Halloween promotions I've seen.

I learned while watching the Hawaii Five-O Halloween marathon yesterday that one can make great fake blood with corn syrup, red food coloring and a bit of flour to bind it up. You can add that onto sweet shareable treats like Dessert Mashed Potatoes. Tomato blood would be nice on a burger, but never on a hot dog.

• Love 5

Week seven:  four of five, with the asterisk! Or four and one-half, because I knew Robert Frost, but couldn't come up with Eugene O'Neil. 

I'll bring leftover Halloween candy. We had exactly zero kids this year - the local town held trick-or-treat on Friday, but the county held it on Saturday. I think the kids just got confused and headed to the mall and the churches in the area that had Trunk or Treat.

I have Milk Duds, Almond Joy, Whoppers (malted milk balls), and little Hershey milk chocolate bars. We'll be ruining our teeth at the Table for Four, but we'll accept trick-or-treaters from the other tables.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My two very favorites! Trick or Treat, please!

Those are my favorites too! None of my kids want to Trick or Treat tomorrow. 😭 that they are growing up way too fast, but mostly 😭 that I won’t have any candy bags to steal from. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Those are my favorites too! None of my kids want to Trick or Treat tomorrow. 😭 that they are growing up way too fast, but mostly 😭 that I won’t have any candy bags to steal from. 

If you are short, you could go as a ghost, bent down under a sheet, or Quasimoto, hunched over to make yourself look small. I was always tall for my age and got bitched at for being "too old" when I was still in the single digits age wise so had to quit trick or treating because of hurt feelings caused by rude adults.

I'd be up for doing the ghost thing now though, barf on mean old people. Or I'd force my kids to go, that's if i had any kids. You need to teach them priorities while they are young, getting candy for mom should be at the top of the list!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Or I'd force my kids to go, that's if i had any kids. You need to teach them priorities while they are young, getting candy for mom should be at the top of the list!

Speaking (typing) as a mother of 3 adults with many regrets (both my regrets and their regrets) about parenting choices I made, based on the above example of your choices, you would have been a great mom.

• Love 2

I ordered some vitamins from Amazon and somehow ordered instead of C, a higher dosage of D3 than I normally take. I also ordered my normal D3.  So I've got two bottles of D3.

IF I get any trick-or-treaters (haven't had any in about 25 years), they're gonna get a bottle of vitamin D3, 2000 mcg.

• LOL 10
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

If you are short, you could go as a ghost, bent down under a sheet, or Quasimoto, hunched over to make yourself look small. I was always tall for my age and got bitched at for being "too old" when I was still in the single digits age wise so had to quit trick or treating because of hurt feelings caused by rude adults.

I'd be up for doing the ghost thing now though, barf on mean old people. Or I'd force my kids to go, that's if i had any kids. You need to teach them priorities while they are young, getting candy for mom should be at the top of the list!

I’m 5’2”, so a short adult but too tall to pass for a kid, although  my 15-year old passed me up 3 years ago, and the other 2 are one growth spurt away from me having to look up at them. 
And that is awesome parenting advice! Seriously spot on. I taught them that Mommy is the smartest, funniest, most beautiful Mommy ever from birth, but completely missed the boat on them being my candy providers. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Still at 4/5 this week but I got the *.  I guessed the wrong South American country - I was desperately trying to picture the map in my head but ran out of time. I clearly need to work on my geography skills for large chunks of the world. 

Monday I thought of Goodall and Fossey quickly (never heard of the third woman but now want to know more about her) and did a coin flip in my brain.  For Tuesday, I ran through Pulitzer winners that I was aware of and knew both Frost and O'Neill had strong New England ties even if I had no real knowledge of where they died.  For Wednesday, I knew Garbo and Knightly played the role but not sure on the other actresses so it was a mostly educated guess.  Friday was my only instaget - early American history knowledge combined with many years of going to the Detroit Symphony's 4th of July concerts at Greenfield Village where they do a medley of all the armed forces songs often with a printed program that includes the correct titles.

So mostly this week was some lucky guesses breaking correctly for me but I will take it because it gets me to the table with @ProudMary's delicious sounding casserole.   I can bring red wine which I often don't have handy thanks to braising some lamb shanks.  I can also kick in some pretty great cannoli for dessert due to a recent stop at a local bakery. 

Happy Halloween Everybody!

Edited by Grundoon59
One handed typing snafu
  • Love 7

1/5, unless we count three "partials," as in, I got partway to the right answer.

On literary women roles, though, I somehow completely misread this as historical roles, and I'm thinking "Only 3 women would have that many movies made about them over so much time--Cleopatra, Elizabeth I, and maybe Joan of Arc." That thought made me sad too, so I never got remotely close. If I'd realized it was fiction, I might have gotten somewhere. Good lesson about keeping the category in mind!

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I guessed the wrong South American country

At least you got the right continent. I said Johannesburg, South Africa. Then I teamed Frost with Miller, not knowing he was on his honeymoon at that time. For the movie role I guessed Joan of Arc. She's a literary character in that Bible book. I lucked out with Jane Goodall after first thinking trimate ... those three women at NASA ... then got the primate/trimate connection and Goodall's name came first since she's been in the news lately. Plus she's still alive. The third trimate needs more publicity or a movie or something, but being unknown, she didn't come into my brain so there's that.

4 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Only 3 women would have that many movies made about them over so much time--Cleopatra, Elizabeth I, and maybe Joan of Arc.

Yeay! My astral twin!

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

1/5. Started out well on Monday, after that not so good. Guessed Mexico City on Thursday. At least I had the right continent, unlike two of the contestants!

Mexico is in North America, Chile is in South America.

I do still think it is a closer guess than the other two contestants!! 👍

• Love 2
12 hours ago, DXD526 said:

1/5. Started out well on Monday, after that not so good. Guessed Mexico City on Thursday. At least I had the right continent, unlike two of the contestants!

I will never say what atrocity came out of my mouth for this one. Geography isn't my thing, but even for me it was stupid.

• Love 5

4/5 with no * because I couldn't come up with Anna Karenina. I didn't even know there was one movie about her much less five. The Table for Four sounds like a good place to enjoy a fine meal though, plus I plan to sneak a couple of those vampire heart pies to take with me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I will never say what atrocity came out of my mouth for this one. Geography isn't my thing, but even for me it was stupid.

Oh, come on Clan. I posted my crazy answer. Yours can't be worse than Johannesburg. Even if it's Wellington, that's a better guess than Aukland. Or Queensland.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am having some family time for the next two evenings, so I might not even be able to catch up with YouTube. 

Just catch up with FJ on TJF, that's the only important clue/answer you need!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

, you've changed!

Thank you for noticing Your Majesty. I toned down my Halloween costume this year after last year's being so terrifying I was asked by posters to get rid of it before Halloween was over. I had planned to go back to my every-day dog face today, but I'm kind of liking this new look so might just keep it. It does more closely resemble what I look like IRL than the hair of the dog.

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, come on Clan. I posted my crazy answer. Yours can't be worse than Johannesburg. Even if it's Wellington, that's a better guess than Aukland. Or Queensland.

Truly, it's hard to imagine the bar being positioned any lower than where it was set by Thursday's two challengers!

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Truly, it's hard to imagine the bar being positioned any lower than where it was set by Thursday's two challengers!

And yet, my lips are sealed...am in the process of forgetting it, so I'm already vague about what it was.

• LOL 3

While we've yet to hear from @theartandsound, I am ready to name the clear-and-away top-of-the-heap (not that the rest of us are heaps) Player of the Week for Week Lucky Seven, the one player who raised the Bar of Brilliance this week, the Perfect Player who rose above the Peon Player Population (not that the rest of us are peons). And without more ado-who, that player is none other than ...

@Prevailing Wind!

This was PW's first Perfect Week this season, and we hope you have many more this season. I hope your enthusiasm is contagious so more of us can be Future Perfect. Congratulations PW. Bask in the shine of your glowing golden confetti-covered award for as long as you wish. Use it to impress your friends and scare your enemies. Cheers and here's to many more. Yeay PW!

708319648_fivecopy.jpg.141663060a669a1fc74b99d0e11da253.jpg

• Love 8