Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Wait. Saber, you're having raspberries?  Can I come sit at your table?

Sorry, that was my weak way of "blowing" raspberries. (A fruit which I dislike, BTW.)

Without naming names or locations, but I know a lot of vets and dog people, someone brought in a Chihuahua to be euthed. Signed the paper and left. The dog wasn't euthed, he went home with a show dog handler who took the dog to all the dog shows. He'd sit in his bed on top of all the show dogs' crates, and at night he slept on the end of his "new owner's" bed. Interestingly, this is National Taco Day and that little dog was renamed Taco. He was a favorite with everyone at the dog shows and lived happily for many years.

• Love 8

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Sorry, that was my weak way of "blowing" raspberries. (A fruit which I dislike, BTW.)

😮 I will take all your raspberries. One of the few things I truly love about summer - fresh berries and stone fruits.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm not sure you understand what "blowing raspberries" means. No fruit is involved ...

Do you remember the comic strip Lil Abner? And that character that always had the black cloud over his head? He was called Joe Btfsplk. Al Capp, the creator, said his last name is pronounced like a Bronx cheer/blowing raspberries.

• LOL 4
14 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm not sure you understand what "blowing raspberries" means. No fruit is involved ...

I meant the fruit that you don't like which is what I I don't understand I mean how can you not like raspberries?! 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Do you remember the comic strip Lil Abner?

I do. Joe Btfsplk was my fav character, we shared a black cloud. But now I know how to pronounce his name, so thanks!

ETA: Raspberries = seeds stuck in teeth. Won't even do a raspberry milkshake. Same with blackberries, unless I can run them through a food mill first.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

😮 I will take all your raspberries. One of the few things I truly love about summer - fresh berries and stone fruits.

Stone fruit is my favorite part of summer. I had a lot of great ones this year.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: Raspberries = seeds stuck in teeth. Won't even do a raspberry milkshake. Same with blackberries, unless I can run them through a food mill first.

I agree on blackberries. Raspberry seeds are small enough that they don't generally bother me.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Stone fruit is my favorite part of summer. I had a lot of great ones this year.

I had some good white peaches this year. Sadly, I could only get apricots once or twice all summer.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I agree on blackberries. Raspberry seeds are small enough that they don't generally bother me.

I had some good white peaches this year. Sadly, I could only get apricots once or twice all summer.

I was in nectarine  mode this year. Loved every one. We don't have a great selection in our stores, and I've only ever gotten great peaches from our grower's market, and I don't go into crowds if I can help it. (I shop when our stores first open up)

• Love 3

One, two, three ... who do we see? The winners of Week THREE, that's who. And the whosits are @helpmerhonda and @labresq, both of whom scored a 1, 2 and 3 in Weeks 1, 2 and 3. I'm not going to say they copied each other's papers; I am going to award this document to document their success as two players who know how to COUNT. Other contest players are pictured here with The Count. It's up to viewer discretion to figure out who is which. Or which is who. Congratulations helpmerhonda and labresq!

1877298552_countthreecopy.jpg.0ea989cb5d9bd9dcc4f37c560fc85a9c.jpg

• Love 12

1/5. Rescued from zero-ness by the platypus. Although I was very close on Thursday. Just as time was up, I was realizing hey, it’s one of those -athalons. Which of course would have been wrong anyway.

ETA:  No M*'s or *'s, if that wasn't obvious.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was 2/5 this week. (I thought I'd only have one but today's was easy for me.)

Have a cookie.

image.png.e092bd19e97c44893c49bd90d5989231.png

Me "2" too. Don't mind if I do, thank you. --and very pretty!

"Apple a day..." and duckbill platypus.

ETA: Mayim's wardrobe gets 5/5 for the week on the shapeshifter fashion scale.

And EATA to make it easier for @saber5055 to tally:

2/5 for shapeshifter 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5

3/5 Which was a very good week for me. I’m just mad I didn’t get the Mattasterick* 

For October our weather is still very mild and warm, but my body clock says fall food. So I’ll bring French Onion Soup to the table with a hot crusty loaf with hand churned Amish butter. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3

WEEK 4 • Oct. 4, 2021 — ONE asterisk  ONE Mattsterisk
11. Renaissance Men. 10 years before a more famous work, he wrote in 1503 that the way to deal with rebels is to placate them or eliminate them.
12. Popular Phrases. This phrase relating nutrition & health was popularized by fruit scientist J.T. Stinson at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair.
*13. Historic Calendars. Following Messidor, this summer month in the 18th-century French Revolutionary calendar had a name meaning “heat gift.”   *
14. Winter Olympic Sports. The official Olympic website says this event “has its roots in survival skills” practiced in the snowy forest of Scandinavia.
15. The Southern Hemisphere. British zoologist George Shaw looked for stitches when he first saw this mammal in 1799, thinking he was being tricked.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just as time was up, I was realizing hey, it’s one of those -athalons. Which of course would have been wrong anyway. 

Biathalon would be correct in this contest. That it was ruled wrong on the show was a BSathon.

• Love 6

Table Three seems the Place to Be this week. Out of 16 reported scores, nine are 3s, including yours truly.

My Monday answer was Thomas Paine, because hey, you gotta answer something for online posters to make fun of. My Wednesday answer was "WHAT? HUH?" At least no corny answer there so everyone can point and laugh at me. For that anyway.

Once I had a litter of pups that all had bean names, Mr. Bean (love Rowan Atkinson) and Pinto Bean and Musical Fruit. (Pun intended.) A fourth was named Tres Frijoles, which I am bringing to this week's potluck, three-bean salad, which I find delicious. Check it out!

Three-Bean-Salad-foodiecrush.com-017-683x1024-1-500x500.jpg.e18e6b12cfc5a37c588ed191e243265d.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Week four: freaking five for five, baby! So I get the asterisk and the Matterisk, too!

I thought that I had missed one, but I suspect I remembered my hesitance in spelling biath(a/i/e)lon.

I made a homemade chicken pot pie this week, with a crescent roll dough sheet for the pie crust. I'll bring that to the Table for Five, but it won't have any peas. I hate peas!

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I'll bring that to the Table for Five, but it won't have any peas.

I first read that as it "won't have any people" because so far it's just you and Pretend Matt Amodio at the T45. And I think Matt's too busy to eat with us. But hey, we can try!

All spellings of bi/ath/a/e/i/lon are okay here according to the FJ Contest judge so no worries there, contest players.

Side note: I love peas! Actually, I love all veg, having been a vegetarian for many years. But if you want to slum at the T43, I'll gladly help you dispose of that pea-less but delicious-sounding chicken pot pie.

ETA: Oh yeah, congrats on a Perfect Five Week j5cochran!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Table Three seems the Place to Be this week. Out of 16 reported scores, nine are 3s, including yours truly.

My Monday answer was Thomas Paine, because hey, you gotta answer something for online posters to make fun of. My Wednesday answer was "WHAT? HUH?" At least no corny answer there so everyone can point and laugh at me. For that anyway.

Once I had a litter of pups that all had bean names, Mr. Bean (love Rowan Atkinson) and Pinto Bean and Musical Fruit. (Pun intended.) A fourth was named Tres Frijoles, which I am bringing to this week's potluck, three-bean salad, which I find delicious. Check it out!

Three-Bean-Salad-foodiecrush.com-017-683x1024-1-500x500.jpg.e18e6b12cfc5a37c588ed191e243265d.jpg

Haven't had three bean salad in years. Yum.

• Love 3

3/5 no M*
I thought Machiavelli was an 18th century figure, not that I would have gotten it anyway.  I guessed Leonardo di Vinci. I had no clue whatsoever for Wednesday, and tried to incorporate June, July, &/or August into a response with no luck. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

2/5 and don't know how I would have spelled biathlon since I answered out loud... but I thought that was a tough ruling.  Like maybe worse then Berry Gordy.  No Asterisks/mattstrisks.  

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 5

3/5. I had no idea about Monday's FJ and took a guess that I won't repeat here. Rereading Wednesday's clue, I should have been able to figure it out since Messidor was in the clue. But, no. Save me a seat at the popular table for three.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PBnJay said:

3/5. I had no idea about Monday's FJ and took a guess that I won't repeat here. Rereading Wednesday's clue, I should have been able to figure it out since Messidor was in the clue. But, no. Save me a seat at the popular table for three.

I'd suggest bringing some tasty PB&J sandwiches - but that would be cannibalism, wouldn't it?

• LOL 3
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd suggest bringing some tasty PB&J sandwiches

Blasphemy! (Although they do sound rather tasty, don't they.) I'm bringing these three-layer parfaits for everyone instead, and hope no one looks at me as the main course.

parfait.jpeg.afe623144479d23f21e8155027546c90.jpeg

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I managed to stumble, fumble, crumble my way to 5/5 this week including the */M*. Questions just fell into my weirdly constructed wheelhouse.  

By being a dual history/government major, I read more about and by Machiavelli than I really wanted to but at least it made me get Monday's answer easily.  I think the apples I bought at last weekend's farmers market probably helped with Tuesday.

Wednesday I can again attribute to a little too much French history and French language classes for years plus I have always mentally associated the month with lobster thermidor.  I benefit from the Kind Judge's ruling for Thursday - I honestly don't know how it would have come out if I had been on television.

For Friday, a Tom Lehrer lyric popped into my head at the crucial moment "I'd rather marry a duck-billed platypus than end up like old Oedipus Rex." I wasn't at all sure that it was a correct answer but it was all I had. 

@j5cochran - chicken pot pie with no peas sounds wonderful (and is my preferred way to have it).  I can offer an Apple Brown Betty which may or may not keep the doctor away. 

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

@j5cochran - chicken pot pie with no peas sounds wonderful (and is my preferred way to have it).  I can offer an Apple Brown Betty which may or may not keep the doctor away. 

Apple Brown Betty sounds wonderful! What kind of apples do you use?

• Love 2

My pregnant daughter just gave me a bag of Wegman's organic Gala apples that her DH bought for her (she wanted Pink Ladys). 
I have to confess that I am in the habit of cutting up apples to microwave them. Then I drizzle a little honey and stir in either sour cream or yogurt. (I realize that people who microwave fruit are the butt of jokes.) 
So, I will instead serve imaginary apple pie here, like my dad learned to make in the Army during WWII.

And I did instaget "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

image.png.57a645e52e7c64cd943126cab8bc75e0.png 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My pregnant daughter just gave me a bag of Wegman's organic Gala apples that her DH bought for her (she wanted Pink Ladys). 
I have to confess that I am in the habit of cutting up apples to microwave them. Then I drizzle a little honey and stir in either sour cream or yogurt. (I realize that people who microwave fruit are the butt of jokes.) 
So, I will instead serve imaginary apple pie here, like my dad learned to make in the Army during WWII.

And I did instaget "An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

image.png.57a645e52e7c64cd943126cab8bc75e0.png 

Ooh, my favorite!

• Love 1