Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I’ve lost 2 weeks (thank you Hurricane Ida 🤬 ) so was thrilled to see 2 Jeopardy’s waiting for me on the DVR. I didn’t mind Michael Richards during his trial run, but now I see the smug & smarmy. I’m 2/2 but the week is young. 

• Love 3
On 9/10/2021 at 2:07 PM, Toothbrush said:

When you make it I hope that your story will be that you were the season 37 PT’er FJ contest champ! 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:30 PM, OperaLover1229 said:

After I recover from my heart attack if (when) I ever get on the show, that will be on my top interview card. It probably will be my only interview card but I will give a shout out to the contest players for sure!

I will have to get used to coming here every Monday again. It's time to get back to paying attention. I'm looking forward to playing the contest again. Good luck everyone!

• Love 6

I genuinely feel like I was having a low blood sugar moment on Tuesday because I knew the date was significant but I couldn't come up what was signficant about the date.  Sigh.   2/5.  No asterisks (I don't think there were any this week) and happy to be brewing up some tea for two.  And I guess some scones.   

• Love 3

week 1 • Sept. 13, 2021 — NO asterisk
1. The 13 Colonies. Founded by an advocate of religious freedom, it was the site of America’s first Baptist church & oldest synagogue.
2. Scientific Etymology. 2 of the 3 men for whom armalcolite, a dark gray mineral discovered in 1969, is named
3. Authors. In addition to knowing many languages & making up his own, he also taught language at the Universities of Leeds & Oxford
4. The 21st Century. In 2009 this 11-year-old started posting on BBC’s Urdu language website under the screen name Gul Makai.
5. 19th Century U.S. Politics. Named after a U.K. political party that helped depose a king, the U.S. Whig Party was formed to oppose this man.

• Love 3

Starting off the season at my usual seat at the table for one (thank goodness for Malala Yousafzai!).

However, I am ashamed at missing armalcolite. I blame being quite distracted at the time. Real life has not been kind this past week.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

2/5.  They may not fit the theme of our number, but I'm making homemade chocolate chip cookies for my friend's birthday, and I could make some extras to bring to our table.

Chocolate chip cookies are never, ever, ever off theme.  Always welcome.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

2/5.  They may not fit the theme of our number, but I'm making homemade chocolate chip cookies for my friend's birthday, and I could make some extras to bring to our table.

2/5. We could have an entire cookie theme. I make a mean cranberry chocolate chip cookie.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Ailianna said:

They may not fit the theme of our number, but I'm making homemade chocolate chip cookies for my friend's birthday, and I could make some extras to bring to our table.

Not a fit, not a problem. Icing optional but delicious. Shape also optional since I happen to be at T42 as well and with me there cookies will disappear faster than anyone can tell what shape they used to be.

2cookie.jpg.527adcd148784f28b47da24665b12d5a.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

My 2/5 week:

1. The 13 Colonies. What? Rhode Island was one of the 13 colonies? Who knew.
2. Scientific Etymology. You mean I have to name TWO scientists? Gah.
3. Authors. An easy one ... Lewis Carroll
4. The 21st Century. That has to be Malala, no last name needed.
5. 19th Century U.S. Politics. Thanks former president for loving this president who ruled as a dictator.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

@saber5055 You know I’m here for the contest again. Besides, I can always be counted on for the cooking if nothing else. 
I’m starting off this first week of the contest with 3/5. Three…three…anyone hungry for a Club sandwich with a slice a Napoleon (made with layers of puff pastry, whipped cream and berries)? 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week one: four of five. I could have sworn that John Adams (he's obnoxious and disliked!) was the one that started the Whig Party. 

Hello my week 1 FJ twin. Same result for the same reason (and the same reasoning)! 

• Love 1

Well I did my own version of "piddle, twiddle and resolve" to try to reach the answers this week but I knew it wasn't John Adams this time around (although he did pop up in my life this week when I was leading Constitution Day quizzes for the students at the small career training school where I am the Registrar.  Not only was he one of the answers but I referenced "1776" as one of my favorite musicals while trying to entertain the students by dancing/singing badly to snippets from "Hamilton" - don't ask exactly why but it got the students to participate in the quiz). 

I managed 4/5 - I remembered learning about the synagogue from a long ago visit to Newport, I flubbed the science question by focusing too much on the word and not the year, I got from Carroll to Tolkien in the nick of time, couldn't come up with any other name besides Malala and knew Jackson from too much early American history over the years. 

For food for the table, I offer up a Puffy Corn Omelet since I was still able to score fresh corn from the Farmers Market yesterday.

• Love 5

4/5. I guess I need to learn more about the 13 colonies, Rhode Island specifically. But it looks like this table will be having some very delicious food. I think I'll bring egg salad made from eggs laid by Rhode Island Red hens.

I'm not expecting any asterisks while Matt is in charge of this game. But go ahead, surprise me!

• Love 3

I started off the week poorly. I guessed PA and should have known it was wrong because I live there and guessed wrong on Tuesday.  But I rebounded with correct answers on Wed, Thur and Fri. So I was 3 correct, 2 incorrect. No fancy dinners, I am still in tomato sandwich mode. 

• Love 3