Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

4/5. I couldn't think of Denmark to save my life. But I knew the correct song about prostitutes. I'm bringing this four-layer dessert to the Table For Four. Well, it really has five layers, six if you count the topping, but that just means it's for all of the tables to share.

dessert.jpg.f68fa283b7b66b3601bf78be9faca469.jpg

• Love 8

4/5 for this week - I fear this breaks the pattern even though I used the Magic Dice.  I could not pull Thomas Harris' name from the recesses of my brain for love, money or any other reason. 

Lafayette and Dred Scott were instagets - I will give credit to high school friends being Purdue grads and a whole lot of trivial history knowledge for these. 

Denmark took longer even though it is a favorite country (first place I ever got to visit in Europe was "wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen"  which will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day).  I got some help from rewatching some old episodes of the British game show QI which had a discussion about the dividing line between Canada and Greenland (the current host in Danish/British and loves what she calls Randi Scandi information).

Friday was also an instaget.  I am a child of the 70s but was never that big a Police fan so I will give thanks to my recent incessant watching of Only Murders in the Building for leading me right to the answer. 

For the Table 44, I can offer up some Tortellini In Brodo soup that I made over the weekend as fall settled into Michigan - tortellini, spinach, chicken broth and parmesan cheese are the main ingredients.  It turned out pretty well. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

was never that big a Police fan so I will give thanks to my recent incessant watching of Only Murders in the Building for leading me right to the answer. 

I watched each episode of OMITB twice, but didn't notice "Roxanne." But then I'm not very familiar with pop music after 1973, and "Roxanne" seems too shouty for me.

Thanks for all the food everyone!
even though my 0/5 means I have to stay and wash dishes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

(the current host in Danish/British and loves what she calls Randi Scandi information).

Did you know her Brit accent is fake? She really has an American accent. She spent most of her youth in NYC.   From WikiP... "She describes her "posh" accent as being the result of a deliberate attempt to copy the voice of Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter, after being ostracised at boarding school for having an American accent"

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I watched each episode of OMITB twice, but didn't notice "Roxanne." But then I'm not very familiar with pop music after 1973, and "Roxanne" seems too shouty for me.

I am not 100% sure "Roxanne" was a title mentioned in OMITB but I think it was when Oliver & Charles were stunned that Mabel supposedly didn't know who Sting was (because I think I laughed at the Roxanne cross-reference to Steve Martin's movie) but at least the series got the Police in my head quickly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/25/2021 at 3:25 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Did you know her Brit accent is fake? She really has an American accent. She spent most of her youth in NYC.   From WikiP... "She describes her "posh" accent as being the result of a deliberate attempt to copy the voice of Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter, after being ostracised at boarding school for having an American accent"

I hadn't read that but I did know she went to school in the States - she has referred to it several times on QI which is one of my pandemic "finds".  I had heard about it before but found it through Amazon Prime (along with several other British panel shows) and have watched all the episodes available a couple of times for laughs and useful information.  I knew her already from Great British Baking.

Edited by Grundoon59
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Instead of washing dishes I think last time Saber brought recyclable paper dishes, cups and silverware. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Instead of washing dishes I think last time Saber brought recyclable paper dishes, cups and silverware. 

True this, and true for this week's feast as well. Everyone at the T40 just need to bring containers for carry out leftovers when it's time to go back to our respective corners and regroup for the next potluck. The extra nutrition should help build "more brain power, yes please!" for this week's contest.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

True this, and true for this week's feast as well. Everyone at the T40 just need to bring containers for carry out leftovers when it's time to go back to our respective corners and regroup for the next potluck. The extra nutrition should help build "more brain power, yes please!" for this week's contest.

Well, then, I guess I’ll just have to clean the latrines to do my penance. 

Oh. Wait. What’s that, @saber5055
Self-cleaning Port-a-Potties?

Awesome!

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone at the T40 just need to bring containers for carry out leftovers when it's time to go back

My nephew and his wife *always* bring their own Tupperware to Thanksgiving Dinner. It's begun to piss off his parents, as they leave little leftovers for the rest of us.

• LOL 4

3/5 because I literally read this week a book about Lafayette.  If I had played in real time I would have missed it.   Dred Scott because History and Political Science Dual degree and Roxanne because of the movie Roxanne and assuming the character was named Roxanne because of the book.  

I don't know what the threeple table has but I love Chicken Pot Pie I make it in little individual ramakins and top it with puff pastry.  So everybody gets their own and only top crust but really decadent top crust and no fighting.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My nephew and his wife *always* bring their own Tupperware to Thanksgiving Dinner. It's begun to piss off his parents, as they leave little leftovers for the rest of us.

My grandmother lived on the other side of the country so I only did thanksgiving at her house once but OMG my aunts brought their own containers and left like no food.  NONE.  My mom made pies when we got home because evrybody only got that one small slice you choke down because after dinner on Thanksgiving.   

Then the year my grandmother died my mom went and cooked thanksgiving because my aunts don't cook and my mom wanted her dad to have a nice meal.  Again my aunts came and took everything back with them... or so they thought.  My mom hid a bunch of leftovers in a cooler outside until they finished taking everything.

As the left over turkey and stuffing sandwich is my literal everything.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Friday was also an instaget.  I am a child of the 70s but was never that big a Police fan so I will give thanks to my recent incessant watching of Only Murders in the Building for leading me right to the answer.

I was a child of the 70's too, but was in my 20s in the 80s, and that music is just as seared into my brain. At least until I had children.I loved the Police, and enjoyed Sting in Only Murders in the Building - but I can't say I remember the Roxanne reference (or for that matter, that there was a Roxanne movie). I was too busy looking at Sting - who is this odd combination of funny looking sometimes and totally hot at other times.

4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Then the year my grandmother died my mom went and cooked thanksgiving because my aunts don't cook and my mom wanted her dad to have a nice meal.  Again my aunts came and took everything back with them... or so they thought.  My mom hid a bunch of leftovers in a cooler outside until they finished taking everything.

As the left over turkey and stuffing sandwich is my literal everything.  

Great move on your mom's part. I had a small family, so no one ever "stole" leftovers. We did give some away to friends who shared the day with us, but never all of them, because Thanksgiving leftovers are the best. And that sandwich you mention, it's always my favorite thing - with cranberry sauce spread on it as well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I just can't imagine bringing containers to a family dinner, then scooping up all the leftovers and leaving the counters bare as you make off with all the food, leaving everyone else on empty. That's beyond my comprehension.

I don't have any family or relatives but I've been invited by different friends to their holiday dinners through the years. I know, it's kind of friends to do that and I always go to make the friend feel she's done something nice, but it's uncomfortable to be sitting at a table with people you don't know and having them side eye you, like who the hell are you and what are you doing here. (At one dinner, I tried to join in a conversation about movies and the person turned his back on me to shut me out. Point made.)

Anyway, I always bring something to the dinners and when I leave, I insist any leftovers of what I've brought be left there, I don't want to take any back with me. Some people will give me some leftovers to take home, some don't. But I don't expect anything. Mostly, I'm just glad to be getting out of there.

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was too busy looking at Sting - who is this odd combination of funny looking sometimes and totally hot at other times.

Totally hot all the time for me. Back then anyway.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was too busy looking at Sting - who is this odd combination of funny looking sometimes and totally hot at other times.

Totally hot. Especially in a tight black t-shirt, onstage, singing "Roxanne" from the darkened stage before the lights slowly brightened for his encore(s).  We all swooned that night.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I don't have any family or relatives but I've been invited by different friends to their holiday dinners through the years.... (At one dinner, I tried to join in a conversation about movies and the person turned his back on me to shut me out. Point made.)

IMO, jerk relatives like him are the reason the friend invites you. 
--not so he can diss you, but probably to keep him from being even more obnoxious. 
--which is a nice way for me to say that you are a buffer. 
If it was me and I encountered him a second time, I'd be *SO*  prepared.😈

Your friend may be trying to invite those who don't have family to make themselves feel good or out of an ingrained sense of obligation.
Hey. I'm not really nice myself. I just sometimes pretend to be. ;)

But sometimes too, like today, someone does something that makes me feel really appreciative of them being in my life. (It was a nice young painter who made at least the bedroom of my new home look So. Much. Better.)
And maybe your friend really just appreciates your presence at the table.
Especially in contrast to Rude Dude.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Totally hot all the time for me. Back then anyway.

I'm old, so Sting looks *very good* to me right now, heh. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't have any family or relatives but I've been invited by different friends to their holiday dinners through the years. I know, it's kind of friends to do that and I always go to make the friend feel she's done something nice, but it's uncomfortable to be sitting at a table with people you don't know and having them side eye you, like who the hell are you and what are you doing here. (At one dinner, I tried to join in a conversation about movies and the person turned his back on me to shut me out. Point made.)

That is horrible. We have a very small family (mostly just the nuclear family), so we invited our friends because it was fun. We were in the Bay Area and many of our friends didn't have families nearby. My parents lived a couple of hours away, and would come, but always had some reason to beg off when we had friends coming. Which was an added bonus.

We always had a blast, and sadly when we moved to a place where lots of people had family nearby. We had a couple of friend Thanksgivings - and one was out of pity for us, because I couldn't face Thanksgiving preparations as my mother's death was tied to my memory of the last Thanksgiving. (My father was on a road trip to visit his extended family - who I never really knew) I was very thankful for that Thanksgiving as I was tearing myself apart with nerves.

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm old, so Sting looks *very good* to me right now, heh.

Same here - he aged well (I think), and I find myself more attracted to men my age than young'uns. Who, don't get me wrong, can be serious eye candy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm late announcing the Winner of Week 6! So here I am, swooping in on the wings of a (very large) bird, to present to one and all the Ganador de la Semana Seis, the Vainqueur de la Sixième Semaine, the Winner of Week Six, the person who logged 2, 3, 2, 3, 2 and 3 for one of the best patterns ever: @Clanstarling.

While Grundoon's dice rolled to the wrong side this week, I have added Flaming-Hot Mojo Wings to your two-three die, Clanstarling. Roll 'em and weep next week, but be careful, don't get burned!

Meanwhile, congratulations for a great six-week run with one of the best patterns ever. Enjoy your week of glory Clanstarling, and bask in it for as long as you like. Meanwhile, thank you, Internet translators, for helping with this post!

dice-fiery-wings.jpg.b6f3035ed910cee03c5456ee2d4ae951.jpg

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm late announcing the Winner of Week 6! So here I am, swooping in on the wings of a (very large) bird, to present to one and all the Ganador de la Semana Seis, the Vainqueur de la Sixième Semaine, the Winner of Week Six, the person who logged 2, 3, 2, 3, 2 and 3 for one of the best patterns ever: @Clanstarling.

While Grundoon's dice rolled to the wrong side this week, I have added Flaming-Hot Mojo Wings to your two-three die, Clanstarling. Roll 'em and weep next week, but be careful, don't get burned!

Meanwhile, congratulations for a great six-week run with one of the best patterns ever. Enjoy your week of glory Clanstarling, and bask in it for as long as you like. Meanwhile, thank you, Internet translators, for helping with this post!

dice-fiery-wings.jpg.b6f3035ed910cee03c5456ee2d4ae951.jpg

Awesome! Thank you. And I didn't even realize there was a pattern. I shall bask.

• Love 7

Another 0/5 for me...

unless there is a half point for having sung my Friday response as "from the halls of Montezu-u-ma, to the shores of Tripoli!" with a migraine
(no worries, I am going to take a sumatriptan soon-ish)
and for having an overwhelming amount of crap in my life right now
(nothing really terrible -- just too much).

Okay. I'm putting away my First World violin now.

P.S.

39 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.cb929b578f45bc8a22423f5338ae0400.png

@ams1001, if you leave me alone with that cake, I can't promise there will be any left when you get back.

And if I could have another half point for staring at Jane Goodall's face in my mind for 30 seconds...?
No?
That would be a different game: Mind Boggle Jeopardy!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

This week was generally mostly terrible and I only got 1/5.

Gonna drown my sorrows in cake.

image.png.cb929b578f45bc8a22423f5338ae0400.png

I wish I was at the T41 just so I could have this cake!!!!!

Alas, I got 3/5* this week - Jane Goodall, Santiago and Anna Karenina.

• Love 5

Week 7:   4/5*

I struck out on Monday as my brain didn't connect Trimates with primates. /SmacksHead. The other four were pretty much instagets for me. It may have taken me a couple of seconds to bring O'Neill to the front of my brain on Tuesday. I knew that Greta Garbo had played Anna Karenina in both a silent film and in a "talkie." Also, I love Keira Knightley and suffered through that mess of a version she was stuck in.

At our table, I'll be sharing one of my favorite homemade dishes to eat, a four-cheese (ricotta, Pecorino Romano, provolone and mozzarella) baked penne casserole with my homemade tomato sauce and sweet Italian sausage. Someone bring the vino! 🍷

17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Holy crap!  5/5!!

Congratulations! And don't forget your asterisk for the TS!

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Until Saber posts the clues, I don't know which ones had asterisks.

All right, all right, I'll be back with the clues. Hold your horses, or at least hold mine, literally please! Here is a pre-cog photo of her next month.

traderinsnow.jpg.ddd4c769c35f3aec2b1f32ec51b36acb.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

WEEK 7 • Oct. 25, 2021 — ONE asterisk
31. Notable Women. Of the 3 pioneering women in their field to be dubbed the “Trimates”, this one got her Ph.D from Cambridge in 1966.
32. Authors. These 2 men who both died in Boston in the mid-20th century each won 4 Pulitzers, one man for Poetry & the other for Drama.
* 33. Literary Movie Roles. Among the actresses who have portrayed her are Greta Garbo twice, Vivien Leigh, Tatiana Samoilova & Keira Knightley.* 
34. World Cities. From Sydney, Australia go 7,000 miles east & less than 1/2 degree of latitude north to this capital also near the Pacific.
35. Songs & U.S. History. Victory in 1805’s Battle of Derna on the coast of North Africa inspired a lyric in this song made official in 1929.

• Love 2

3/5, no *.  Would be 3.5/5 if Robert Frost on Tuesday were worth half a point, which I assume he was not.

Just for that, sing "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" to the tune of "Hernando's Hideaway."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

3/5- Got Jane Goodall, Santiago, and the Marine Hymn.  

I also got Robert Frost but not Eugene O'Neil.   And I should have gotten Anna Karenina with he Russian name in the mix but honestly I didn't remember Keira Knightly having done it.   

• Love 2