Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

4/5 - on a roll till Friday stopped me dead in my tracks after a tiring week at work - by the time the clue percolated through my brain, I didn't have time to formulate an answer. 

Hunchback was a somewhat lucky guess - it just sort of seemed to fit.  High School French and College German classes helped me out with the sister cities clue even though I had never really thought about it being an actual organization.  Canberra was an Instaget - I spent about a week there years ago visiting a friend who was on an exchange librarianship and while she was at work, I toured just about every public building available and heard a lot of the history of the city.  Custer I got from Bismarck and the dates (and probably from Deadwood referencing the event in I think it's first episode - which again helped fix the timing in my brain). 

Food-wise I am finishing leftovers and eating take out but I'd like to claim a slice of the cake @Mindthinkr is preparing for @saber5055 since today is my birthday which also is why I had not doing a lot of cooking this week - a present to myself :-).  I can contribute a lovely Michigan Dried Cherry Salad that I picked up over the weekend - lots of greens, dried cherries, some blue cheese and slivered almonds with a vinaigrette dressing.  It is quite good and makes me feel virtuous with all the other caloric eating of the holiday period. 

• Love 9

4/5 for me. I'm with @bybrandy, no way could I understand the phrasing of that clue, even after the answer was revealed, it still did not make sense to me. So it goes ... (Thanks Kurt.)

I love fresh cranberry sauce, I haven't had the canned kind for ages. I make mine with a dash of horseradish for just the right amount of sweet and heat. It also is delicious with orange juice added, so bring extra for me if you would please @Toothbrush.

I learned what a charcuterie is from this site, and now I see them in grocery stores and it makes me feel smart. 

• Love 8

Because Saber is unable to post, she sends this message to @Grundoon59 on her very special day: "Tch dsg" and "Mgnx."

208122071_grundoon1.jpg.6ae943b086b4b9b0ff4bc2888c841eb7.jpg 821823202_grundoon2.jpg.97299f74238826c2b3ed6d33af231cc2.jpg

And since something better than a worm is appropriate for a birthday treat, here is what I'm bringing to Grundoon's table, a Michigan Cherry Fudge Ice Cream Icebox cake. Happy birthday Grundoon!

MichiganCherryFudgeIceCreamCake.thumb.jpg.9e7f9908380e699d193fd8a35dcd5c71.jpg

• Love 10

I believe it is part of the contest since it is in the regular Jeopardy! time slot.  Prime time Jeopardy! would not be part of the contest.

I trust our Fearless Leader will confirm. Or not.

• Love 5

THANK YOU everyone for the Birthday wishes and especially the Pogo Cartoon.  I had a very nice day and, better than a worm, my work mates got me a chocolate Sanders Bumpy Cake which is a delicious Detroit tradition (look it up if you have never heard of or had one). 

As I have said repeatedly in this forum, you all have helped me through some hard times these past 18 months or so and I appreciate being part of this community. 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

@PBnJay, can you ask @saber5055 to maybe blink once for no or twice for yes?

Ha ha ha. Blinking twice. Because the tournament is airing as regular episodes instead of nightly specials, it will be part of the contest, nothing changes. Plans were in the works for there to be a separate thread and separate contest for it but that dropped when it was announced it would run as regular episodes. If that makes sense. @Trey is 100-percent correct, and said it better than I just did.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, theartandsound said:

I said Habitat for Humanity for Friday, and ruined a perfect week. G-ddammit!!!

Saber wants to say your answer was better than hers, she said "Kars For Kids." "Call 1-800-kars4kids." I don't know how that phone number would work but it's part of the Kars For Kids jingle. But her perfect week was ruined on Tuesday so she feels your pain.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

THANK YOU everyone for the Birthday wishes and especially the Pogo Cartoon.  I had a very nice day and, better than a worm, my work mates got me a chocolate Sanders Bumpy Cake which is a delicious Detroit tradition (look it up if you have never heard of or had one). 

That looks yummy...

• Love 1

When we came back from commercial and were waiting for the clue to be revealed, there were three different contestants!  It was the final jeopardy from many weeks ago.  Was that just here in my neck of the woods?  I was able to answer the question but I doubt that I can count it for this week's contest!

2 hours ago, labresq said:

Was that just here in my neck of the woods?

My station showed the correct FJ.  Any time you don't get to see a FJ, you can check The Jeopardy Fan.  When you choose a day, it will show you the clue, and you have to scroll down for the answer.

• Love 1

@Toothbrush - bumpy cake is amazing!  Sanders was a long time Detroit institution for all sorts of confections - Mother Grundoon remembered it fondly as a place to go for lunch also - you had to line up behind people seated at the counter to wait for a place but it was worth the wait.  I remember cream puffs, all kinds of candy and of course bumpy cake. Now the name is owned by another company who does good ice cream toppings, some chocolate candy and a variety of cakes (chocolate bumpy is the best)

@Mindthinkr - thank you so much for the offer of a cake - anything chocolate will be wonderful! 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

2/5 *

I have COVID so it’s broth & protein shakes for me. Eating is boring when you can’t taste and have to eat to live. It’s usually the opposite for me. 

Well, you're posting here so I'll take that as a good sign. Hope you are feeling better soon.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Well, you're posting here so I'll take that as a good sign. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Thank you! I am asymptomatic other than the loss of taste & smell. I’m vaccinated, so this is a breakthrough case and those are frequently pretty mild 🙏🙏

• Love 8

WEEK 13 • Dec. 6, 2021 — ONE asterisk Professors Tournament
61. Aesthetic Movements. This turn-of-the-century movement was alternately known around the world as Nieuwe Kunst & Modernista.
62. Old Geographic Names. This term once used for western North Africa is still used today in the name of a primate from that region.
 * 63. 20th Century People. Gen. MacArthur said this man’s death by “violence is one of those bitter anachronisms that seems to refute all logic.”  *
64. 1950s Public Works. Dubbed “The Greatest Construction Show on Earth”, when completed it connected Minnesota to Montreal.
65. 19th Century British Authors. She called herself “the daughter of two persons of distinguished literary celebrity” in an introduction to one of her novels.

• Love 4

4/5, 1*

This is two weeks in a row now I've had 4/5 and then didn't get Friday's FJ. I didn't think of Mary Shelley.  I never think of Mary Shelley.

@Toothbrush, hope you get better real soon.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Week 13 (right?)
2/5 with an asterisk * (Wednesday "Gandhi"* and Friday "Mary Shelley")
(which is good for me!)

I'm thinking of chocolate cake. 
Maybe with whipped cream.

image.png.70cc89d626afd4b7601c5d39621f062a.png

Yummy, that's my table. (2/5 one *). Chocolate and whipped cream will get me every time, and the fruit makes it healthy!  How about some balsamic chicken to go with it?

14 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

2/5 *

I have COVID so it’s broth & protein shakes for me. Eating is boring when you can’t taste and have to eat to live. It’s usually the opposite for me. 

I'm sorry to hear that - but glad to hear it's mild except for the smelling/tasting. That sucks.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

0/5 I’m pretty sure my cats did better than I did. I’ll make beef on weck sandwiches for our table. 

FE50494E-4C62-4FB4-8AF8-5B367B585F2D.jpeg.a19a8d5630ac5e0a983f3365c416bcdf.jpeg

Maybe it's a typo - but what is "weck"?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

0/5 I’m pretty sure my cats did better than I did. I’ll make beef on weck sandwiches for our table. 

FE50494E-4C62-4FB4-8AF8-5B367B585F2D.jpeg.a19a8d5630ac5e0a983f3365c416bcdf.jpeg

Coincidence! I have never heard of this sandwich before but today on The Kitchen Geoffrey is making them.  That is definitely something I would eat! Not quite a French dip, but similar.

Here's the definition:

Beef on Weck

Edited by Trey
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Thank you! I am asymptomatic other than the loss of taste & smell. I’m vaccinated, so this is a breakthrough case and those are frequently pretty mild 🙏🙏

Glad to hear that! I got my booster on Wednesday afternoon; I was dragging all day yesterday and just couldn't quite wake up this morning. I was genuinely surprised it was only 11-something when I got up and not like 2 in the afternoon...the wet and windy weather doesn't help.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Coincidence! I have never heard of this sandwich before but today on The Kitchen Geoffrey is making them.  That is definitely something I would eat! Not quite a French dip, but similar.

Here's the definition:

Beef on Weck

I first heard and tasted Beef on Weck this summer. Apparently it's a Western New York thing.
Pretty tasty!
But combined with my cake, that's a lot of carbs!

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

How about some balsamic chicken to go with it?

Yes, please!

And I'm passing the cake down to @saber5055:

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

image.png.70cc89d626afd4b7601c5d39621f062a.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

4/5 and 1* for me. I knew what a weck is but I've never had one nor know if they are sold near me, but cooking shows are my favorite so I'm saying they made me weck smart. That sandwich looks DELICIOUS! But everything @Mindthinkr makes is delicious, and her willingness to share and cook for others is gold-star worthy. Never leave, Mindthinkr!

• Love 6

2/5 with one *. Ghandi and Mary Shelley.

Ditto!

Beef on Weck looks delish, with the exception of the caraway seeds, which ruin anything they're in, IMO. So it's a go, just without the caraway, so I guess I want a Beef Not on Weck.

Although I got today, it was a guess, but it was right, so it counts. 

For the purposes of this contest, it isn't necessary to know the answer, just to get it right. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4