Type keyword(s) to search

Season 38 Final Jeopardy! Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the tip of the peppermint Joe Joes those are brilliant!   

4/5 with 1 A*  (I did get Steeplechase this week but not Ottawa in Nov)  The one I missed this week was Louisa May Alcott.  Three names and that era I got Elizabeth Cady Stanton stuck in my head and I KNEW it wasn't her but once she was thought of my brain had no more room for triple namers.   

My great-grandmother (Mother's Father's mother) was the first woman to register to vote in Chehalis county Washington.   Which seems like a pretty cool thing.   But how the family found out about it?  It was in a 25 years ago today section in the local paper.  Imagine my family's surprise to learn about this 25 years after the fact over breakfast.  

As it turns out (and I learned this even more years after the fact when I looked up microfilm of the local paper from 1910 (in fairness to find this event) that there were a whole bunch of women who worked on this issue and there was a vote that passed by huge margins to allow women the right to vote in Washington State but they kept not certifying the election.  And these women were waiting to have the election certified to have a giant party and to march down together and all register to vote.   In the mean time the first day came to register to vote for next election came and my great-grandmother who wasn't at all a part of this group heard it was the first day to register to vote, and went to register to vote... and I imagine that it must have really irked these women who were waiting for this moment to read about my great-granmother's action especially the editorial in the next day's paper that read something like, "Now that one brave woman has taken this step we hope that other women will follow."  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

4/5 with 2 A* I remember steeplechase from a bonus question on a history test in 7th grade, so ca 1984 or ‘85, but where I hid all the Christmas gifts eludes me (still missing one for MiniToothbrush #1, my 4 year old niece, and my mom). 

Happy Everything to everyone! 

• Love 5

3/5, no A*. 

I will not be reporting my scores from now until January 11 as I am off to the US Figure Skating Championships in Nashville (fingers crossed that spectators will still be allowed to attend). I will be with my usual Blue Scarves Group and will wave at all of you who tune in.

• Love 12

4/5 with 2 A*.  On the one hand, very proud of my score {especially given I was progressively coming down with either flu or Covid (waiting on test results) which led me to couch crash on Thursday night and barely move except to go to bed through yesterday} but on the other hand, intensely embarrassed that the one I missed with my American History/Musical loving brain was the Federalist papers.  I swear that my thought pattern was "oh, you know, those things Hamilton wrote, documents, letters,  why am I disappearing into a cloud of ZZZZZZZZ?"

Monday I dabbled with Brenda Starr but got to Lois Lane in time.  Tuesday Concord got me to Louisa Mae quickly.  Where exactly I pulled steeplechase from, I may never know but there it was in the front of my brain without prompting.  By Friday, I was so tired and cranky that I said if it isn't Everest, I really don't care. 

Hope everyone stays healthy and safe throughout these scary times.  I do not have any food to offer since cooking is nowhere on my to do list right now.  But I will try to make up for it at a later date.  Mercifully I have stuff to heat up around the house and I can still taste things even though I don't have much of an appetite. 

• Love 8

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

I do not have any food to offer since cooking is nowhere on my to do list right now.  But I will try to make up for it at a later date.

I'm sorry to hear you are sick, @Grundoon59, hope you are feeling better soon.

You bring so much lovely food that you are more than entitled to a week off.

• Love 6

Thank you all so much - just got my results - it's Covid but if it stays at it's present level (knock wood), it is going to be very annoying but not as severe as so many others have had and I am trying to remember that I am still a lucky Grundoon.

• Love 7

Feel better @Grundoon59. I had Covid the first couple of weeks in December and my case was quite mild. Miraculously no one else in the Toothbrush household tested positive. Get lots of rest and find something fun to binge watch. I have to admit that some days the isolation was not a bad thing. Especially in the mornings when hubby was herding a teen and 2 tweens out the door for school. 

• Love 7

Sad week all around, including that my original post didn't post.  2/5 this week for me.

Off to watch "Dinner For One", my New Year's Eve tradition, adopted from the German tradition, introduced to me a few years ago by a traditional German.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Sad week all around, including that my original post didn't post.

It did in the Small Talk thread, so not so sad after all!

On 12/28/2021 at 9:27 PM, theartandsound said:

4/5 for the week of Dec 20th.

There were two A*s that week. You got one but did you get two? Scorekeeper wants to know!

Happy vacations to Her Majesty and @Mindthinkr. And here's to a healthy recovery to you @Grundoon59. Too many people I know are getting sick. This needs to stop!

• Love 4

WEEK 16 • Dec. 27, 2021 — ONE asterisk + ONE A*
76. 20th Century Theater. In 1955 Peter Hall directed the first production of this play in English without having “the foggiest idea what some of it means.”
77. European Rivers. The flooding of this river in 1966 destroyed or damaged some 14,000 works of art, many of them priceless.
78. The 20th Century. In the morning of April 15, 1912 officer Charles Lightoller became the last of about 700 people to board this ship.
79. Explorers. Confirming a theory, fossils found with this explorer in 1912 included a plant from more than 250 million years ago.  
* A* 80. Music Legends. Of their July 1957 first meeting at a church fair, one of this pair recalled: “I was a fat schoolboy and… he was drunk.”  * A* 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, theartandsound said:

There weren't any A*s that week. Got all except for steeplechase.

Merry Christmas! There were two A*s last week. The contest host has recorded your 1A*. Steeplechase was an A* but so was Friday's Mt. Everest which you got. So you now officially have the score of 4+1A* for Week 15!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Love 1

3/5 * A*
I guessed “some Russian play” for Monday & Byrd for Thursday. My first thought for Friday was Simon & Garfunkel, but Lennon & McCartney made more sense for some reason so I switched answers. Glad I did. 
Happy New Year!!! 🎆  

• Love 4

0/5 - what is this, the third week straight? I feel like I had a really bad run last season too, but can’t remember exactly how long it lasted. 
And this is why I will never be on Jeopardy! 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 8

Week 16:  1/5* A*

I've never been so pleased by a 1/5. It saved me from my third consecutive 0-for. I haven't gotten a correct FJ since December 10th! It feels good to end the year on a high note. 🎉

• Love 8
9 hours ago, PBnJay said:

It did in the Small Talk thread, so not so sad after all!

How odd.  I could have sworn I was in the contest thread when I posted originally!  Must resolve to pay more attention in 2022...

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, boy! Looking at the round treats actually makes me GLAD I got 0/5 this week!!

Trying to think of something for 2 and feeling inadequate. I want cookies!

Oh, wait, here are some 2s...

il_794xN.3078822339_ciu9.jpg

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

How odd.  I could have sworn I was in the contest thread when I posted originally!  Must resolve to pay more attention in 2022...

Oh that's on me.  I posted there, thinking I was on the contest thread, then I realized I was in the wrong thread and removed it, but in the meantime I think you posted something contest-related.  Happy New Year?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

2/5 no *. It's up one from last week, which was up one from the week before - so steady progress! 😁

I'm blanking on food for 2's, the only thing that comes up in my mind is Almond Joys and Mounds, because they're two to a pack. Or maybe it's just that I'm off sugar starting today (not because of a resolution, as such, but because I need to take holiday weight gain off)

• Love 8
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

I feel like I had a really bad run last season too, but can’t remember exactly how long it lasted. 

Not true! The Contest Host looked up last year's scores. You got 0s in Weeks 31 and 32 but that's as far as that streak went. Plus you won Player of the Week in Week 31, which negates anything bad into good. Happy New Year from Saber!

• Love 9