Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Home, Not Alone

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think he wants a more outgoing and more self confident woman than Bao.

And if he found that someone, he'd nitpick about her confidence and wear her down too.  He just needs to stay alone.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Gil and Myrla are as inscrutable to me as José's ledger. They seem to take turns liking each other, one at a time. I don't think 30 seconds on camera with Hype acting cowed and submissive means we're in the clear behaviorally. All dogs are bred for certain traits -- pointing, setting, retrieving, shepherding, etc. Pit/bully breeds are bred to murder. This is just a fact. Any time a human keeps a murderhound in their home and no one gets mutilated, that's a breed failure but a win for the bipeds. People can claim their murderhound is a precious sweet fluffy muffin, but the stats are what they are. Pit bulls kill more humans than every other breed combined.

Even if some Pit Bulls have been bred for aggressiveness, that still doesn't mean all of them will be any more aggressive toward humans than many other breeds unless trained to be so.  They are still individuals as are any humans.  Plus not all of them have been bred for aggression and individuals still vary.  A More-or-less scientific study done over decades have put them as naturally less aggressive than Chihuahuas and Boxers.  So any facts about how many Pit Bulls are responsible for biting people have to be offset by the training the dog has been given. 

Judging from the way Gil's dog acts, he is older and very docile.  I don't think judging a book by its cover is a great idea, but I would very very much doubt that Hype would pose any kind of danger to anyone at this point.  Of course any dog can pose a danger if mistreated or antagonized, especially Boxers, Chihuahuas and the other dogs deemed to be naturally as or more aggressive than Pit Bulls, like Collies, Great Danes and Boxers.  The study I read about showed that Pit Bulls were no more naturally aggressive than German Shepherds or Golden Retrievers, and perhaps even less so.  This is interesting too.  So statistics will include those dogs that have been trained to be aggressive, not tell you how naturally aggressive the dogs are or whether all dogs of that breed put together will be more aggressive than other breeds.  As with humans, it's best not to profile dogs based on the mere facts of their breed, but to take them as individuals.  I'm willing to take Hype as an individual and so far nothing about him says I have to worry whatsoever about how aggressive he might be.

I have known German Shepherds that were trained to be aggressive and dangerous yet that breed somehow doesn't get the bad rap that pit bulls do because it somehow didn't catch on as a trend to train them to be attack dogs.  My uncle once adopted/rescued a retired attack/guard dog German Shepherd that was very aggressive.  He had to be muzzled at all times.  He even bit my uncle a few times.  My uncle was a saint because he didn't want to see the dog put down.  Plus I can vouch first hand for how aggressive Chihuahuas are - I adopted one about 25 years ago when her owner died.  We had to be very careful around her because she would snap and bite at a moment's notice.  And she wasn't even bred or trained to be aggressive.  I had a friend once with a Chihuahua and it was the same thing.  And dogs overwhelmingly LOVE me!!!

Meanwhile, my grandmother owned a Boxer/Collie mix when I was a kid and she was just about the most docile dog I ever knew, despite the fact that both breeds have scored as naturally aggressive or more than Pit Bulls.  So go figure.

One of my husband's and my best friends has owned two Pit Bulls over 25 years.  They were both the most playful, docile creatures I've known since my grandmother's Boxer/Collie mix.  The worst thing I could say about them is that they don't know their own strength and so you have to be careful playing with them because they can play a little rough sometimes.  But it's NOT aggression!

193306635_10225610946361633_636002436155

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 14

Rachel and Gil are my favs on this season and I wish they would have been paired up.

Am I the only one who found the most shocking thing about this episode is that OCD perfectionists Bao and Johnny brush their teeth the old school way?  Can’t believe they aren’t using ultrasonic brushes.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Rightside said:

Does  Myrla even like Gil?

Not if she is undecided about even kissing him before decision day.  If she still feels he is a stranger ( which she said in this episode)  after a wedding, a  several day honeymoon, and now living together… then she doesn’t like him.  Most people can manage a quick kiss goodnight by the second date.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 12

Still have an hour left but Johnny is really a commitment phobe . I hate guys or anyone in general who think that every conversation with a disagreement in it is an argument . If someone not showering every single night before bed is the worst thing in your relationship , consider yourself lucky . I’m sure Bao knows how to keep herself clean without you telling her every 5 minutes . But in general he keeps saying all they do is argue but All I’m seeing is him finding reasons to run . 

Myrla is unbearable , truly . Is there anything this witch actually likes ? Not only would I not be able to be married to her , I wouldn’t even want to be in the same room as her , ever . How does someone like that have friends ? Lighten up !! And it always annoys me like no other that she keeps saying kissing is way too soon because they’re still strangers . Then WHY sign up for a show to marry a stranger ? I really wish Gil would ask her this . Isn’t getting married to a stranger a little more crazy than kissing one ?

Edited by Jax7917
  • Like 1
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, Jax7917 said:

Still have an hour left but Johnny is really a commitment phobe . I hate guys or anyone in general who think that every conversation with a disagreement in it is an argument . If someone not showering every single night before bed is the worst thing in your relationship , consider yourself lucky . I’m sure Bao knows how to keep herself clean without you telling her every 5 minutes . But in general he keeps saying all they do is argue but All I’m seeing is him finding reasons to run . 

Exactly, great minds think alike, I said that last week.  He makes mountains out of molehills.  She exposes her soul to him looking for understanding and acceptance and he thinks it's an argument.  Then he claims all they do is argue and disagree when we have seen none of it and you know the show wouldn't hide it from us if they were.  The only woman he would think is perfect is one made of plastic, not flesh and blood.  What a jackass.

This guy is a misogynist.  She's giddy about going to their apartment for the first time and he insulted her and called her "cartoonish and childish" - based on what he said on Unfiltered.  So he insults her and then called it an argument.  Again, what a total jackass!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Love 18
11 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Can’t stand when people mutilate pitbulls’ ears.

I know, right?  How would Gil, or anyone else, like it if someone took a knife and carved their ears to their liking.  Really a disgusting practice.  Horrible for whatever doctor or whoever it is who does this. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I don't think it was necessary for Zach to leave a note or a text for Michaela as he had already told her, the night before, what his plans were. 

Wrong, wrong, wrong for Johnny to film Bao snoring. 

Is it just me or does Myrla's hair always look flat, stringy, dirty.  I think having it long like that makes it even worse. 

I was sad to hear about all the places Hype wasn't allowed. 

Does Brett EVER wear a bra?  She'll be sorry when her boobs are at her feet in 2 years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13

My viewing of this show has changed from watching to see if love grows instead to watching to figure out WHY these people appear normal on the surface yet can't seem to find true love on their own.  This season has been way too obvious for all except Gil.  But, Gil is W-A-A-A-Y too fine and wonderful to not be able to find a match outside of this show.  My guess is he's already been the cover boy for the local fireman calendar and is auditioning for the national hunky fireman calendar.  He's ready for a lower maintenance, better looking trophy wife. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Johnny has to chill.  Some people shower at night, some in the morning.  That’s Byo’s prerogative.

Nah. This is not a "it is what it is" situation for a lot of people. I don't think he needs to chill. Hopping in the bed with the whole day on you is gross.

His nitpicking goes too far but I don't think this is one of those things.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1

Did I see on Jose’s white board that he saves/invests $81K A MONTH? He saves $70K A MONTH for retirement? I mean, good for him if true but where does $972K a year just for savings and investments come from?

I felt for Michaela when she said “my dad is gone forever.” I have that realization about my dad periodically - I think of what Michelle Obama said in her book when she realized her dad was dying: “he will miss the whole rest of my life.”

4 alarms starting at 4 AM would not be cool with me; I honestly might want separate bedrooms in that situation. Also, don’t wake me up when you go, just go. 

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

We literally paused the episode for at least 10 minutes trying to parse José's graffiti-tagged budget board. Some of it added up but a lot made no sense at all. The numbers directly under "MONTHLY EXPENSES" included $7,200 savings, $1,400 HSA (presumably Health Savings Account), $70,000 401k, and $3,000 stonks. Those are absurd monthly numbers, but make sense for ambitious annual amounts. His job title earns somewhere between $56k to over $100k/year, so if he's putting half his paycheck into retirement and pre-tax health spending, the $3000/month he seemed to be working with could make sense as take-home pay. 

I also paused and scoured.  The items literally under MONTHLY EXPENSES had to be annual amounts, and the items over to the left of MONTHLY EXPENSES looked like monthly expenses. 

There was an $800 floating around subtracted from something, and none of that made any sense.  And the words DEBT FREE seemed odd, because it's not like a countdown $X until I'm debt free.  The whole thing seemed like a mess, and I'd think it was made for the show except it was already up when whatever expert surprised him with a visit.

6 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

From that, he was breaking it down into bills, "expenses," and savings. The bills included AT&T, T-Mobile, and FUBO, so homeboy is connected.

But not fed, because none of the items had to do with groceries or eating out. 

Or clothes.  Or gas for his car.  Or property taxes on his paid-off house, even though property taxes in Texas are significant (Texas doesn't have an income tax). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, suzeecat said:

My viewing of this show has changed from watching to see if love grows instead to watching to figure out WHY these people appear normal on the surface yet can't seem to find true love on their own.  This season has been way too obvious for all except Gil.  But, Gil is W-A-A-A-Y too fine and wonderful to not be able to find a match outside of this show.  My guess is he's already been the cover boy for the local fireman calendar and is auditioning for the national hunky fireman calendar.  He's ready for a lower maintenance, better looking trophy wife. 

Because they are recruit by MAFS for our entertainment. 

Gil for example, was probably found on a dating site. He gets a call from the agents and decides to join the selection pool. He thinks, "Hey, what are the chances I'll get matched? They are only picking five guys, why not?"

Then he gets matched. Now, he is thinking "Do I really want to do this?" talks with his friends who say "Well, the worst is you will be divorced".  

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I also paused and scoured.  The items literally under MONTHLY EXPENSES had to be annual amounts, and the items over to the left of MONTHLY EXPENSES looked like monthly expenses. 

There was an $800 floating around subtracted from something, and none of that made any sense.  And the words DEBT FREE seemed odd, because it's not like a countdown $X until I'm debt free.  The whole thing seemed like a mess, and I'd think it was made for the show except it was already up when whatever expert surprised him with a visit.

Or clothes.  Or gas for his car.  Or property taxes on his paid-off house, even though property taxes in Texas are significant (Texas doesn't have an income tax). 

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one confused about his budget.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2

The best things about this episode were all the wonderful dogs! I loved them all. I hope we see them every week, because the rest of the cast is horrible.

So, besides Johnny's cleanliness obsession with the many showers, he has a bidet??? Most men don't even know what one is, and I have never (and I am old) met a man who has his own. Poor Bao. I want her to be the one to tell him that she doesn't want to be with him and not let him do the walking out. In fact, I want to say, "Run, pretty Bao. Run away with joy and happiness." I was glad that P Cal was there to tell Johnny that this was HIS issue and not hers. I am sorry that Bao still has her college crush on him - he is not worth her time or energy.

Brett is just way too anxious about EVERYTHING and Ryan is already tired of having to talk her down from every experience she has. The dogs were fine and wanted to play. I think he does like her, but she is already looking pretty desperate. And put on a bra!!!!

With someone who is so obsessed with her accessories and having her "Wall of Me," don't you think that Myrla could wash her hair once in a while? It is greasy, stringy, and dirty. LOL - I would like to see her in a room with Johnny and watch his head explode. I think Gil already knows there is nothing happening and is just riding it out. I wonder if she still wears the flannel lumberjack onesie to bed?

So, Michaela freaks out because she has to wake up without her husband? The husband she has spent one night with since they met? I do think he should have left a note or a text, though. That is only common courtesy. And, it was amusing that she said she would NEVER walk out on someone and then did just that. She has way too many issues and never should have been selected (where have we said that before? Oh yeah - every time!). I don't think I know him well enough to decide if he is normal or not.

Rachel and Jose are both annoying and I don't like either of them. Neither one of them wants to (or knows how to) compromise.  I wonder when they consummated their marriage? They said they hadn't on the honeymoon, so maybe when they moved in together? Who knows? Maybe they are lying, although that never happens (she said sarcastically).

It was interesting to see that the people this season were a little bit older than past seasons, but that just makes them more independent and harder to adapt to another way of thinking or living. None of these people seem to have the slightest idea of how to do that. And most don't want to change THEIR lives, but expect their new spouse to.

• Love 11

The way Johnny and José hugged each other in the preview made me feel a certain way.  Now granted, it was out of context but I don't normally feel that way when two men hug.  Am I reading too much into this?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 6

I know, right?  How would Gil, or anyone else, like it if someone took a knife and carved their ears to their liking.  Really a disgusting practice.  Horrible for whatever doctor or whoever it is who does this. 

Sadly it's usually the breeder or the owner that does it with kitchen scissors or something. I doubt Gil did it; I think Hype probably came to him that way. 

I like all the dogs on this show. Honestly - better than most of the people. Zack and Michaela's dogs were having a great time playing together in the apartment. I was sad thinking that the marriage probably won't last and they won't be able to play together anymore. I think that Ryan and Brett's dogs were just figuring out their pack and will be fine when they are settled in the apartment (a neutral space for both of them) and off leash.

I also paused and scoured.  The items literally under MONTHLY EXPENSES had to be annual amounts, and the items over to the left of MONTHLY EXPENSES looked like monthly expenses. 

Wasn't the top line "Geico" with an enormous number next to it? I couldn't figure that out. He can't spend that much on insurance.

Is it just me or does Myrla's hair always look flat, stringy, dirty.  I think having it long like that makes it even worse. 

I think it always looks dirty too. I wonder if she has extensions, which can be a pain to wash and dry?

Myrla spend thousands on material things, but lives in a rental  

Do we know it's a rental? It might be a condo that she owns. But in any event, I know a lot of people who choose that. Rentals are a lot easier in terms of maintenance; if something breaks, someone else pays to fix it and handles the logistics. If you have a good management company, it's really easy. Many people prioritize spending to not include property ownership. It's not my approach to money - I hated renting and bought as soon as I could afford to do so - but Myrla's not alone in choosing to rent and free money (and time and hassle) up for other things.

There was an $800 floating around subtracted from something, and none of that made any sense.  And the words DEBT FREE seemed odd, because it's not like a countdown $X until I'm debt free.  The whole thing seemed like a mess, and I'd think it was made for the show except it was already up when whatever expert surprised him with a visit.

I think that the dry erase board is Jose's mood board and the "debt free" mantra is there to motivate him. Great - more power to him. Does he own his house outright - no mortgage? If so, that is really an enormous achievement at his age (at any age!). What's sad to me about Jose is that I think he really believes the best (and maybe only) thing he has to offer a partner is his financial stability. He's not my cup of tea but he seems like a nice enough guy and he certainly seems to want a partner and a family. It's too bad that he's turned himself into a one-note symphony of financial austerity.

Still have an hour left but Johnny is really a commitment phobe

Tonight was the first night that I disliked Johnny. I hate it when one of the spouses chooses not to live in the shared apartment (though in some cases I think it's for the best, like Chris/Paige; Luke/Kate). When you're "really" married, you don't have that option as easily. Given that the apartments have a second bedroom, there is an opportunity for space and time apart and as someone else said, you can always go out for a walk or a drive or whatever. I really thought it was rude and insensitive of Johnny to leave even if he said he came back in a better space. If those two do stay together and move into a shared home, where is he going to go when Bao skips a shower?

And for the record, I have no issue with showering in the morning (I have terrible bed head). I think Johnny needs to get over his germophobia about Bao showering at night. Why is he so hung up on that?

They said they hadn't on the honeymoon, so maybe when they moved in together? Who knows? Maybe they are lying, although that never happens (she said sarcastically).

Mile high club?

Kidding. Maybe on the honeymoon, after the group outing in which they denied having had sex but before they returned home?

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Haha, my husband and I froze the frame and did the same thing, scratching our heads.  Although if he has $70,000 in his 401K he's not doing too badly for someone his age.

It looked to me like the $800 was what he saves in a month which isn't too bad either.

But who knows?  I'm no stranger to budget spreadsheets and whatever that was just didn't make any sense.

3 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Wasn't the top line "Geico" with an enormous number next to it? I couldn't figure that out. He can't spend that much on insurance.

I think some of those numbers like that one was an annual amount, not monthly.

5 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

I think Gil already knows there is nothing happening and is just riding it out. I wonder if she still wears the flannel lumberjack onesie to bed?

Yep. He's been very nice to her, trying to accept and understand her high maintenance and spending. 

But at the end of the day, there is really nothing likable about her.  She's not to hate like Katie (DC season) but there is no reason for him to put any more effort in. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

Nah. This is not a "it is what it is" situation for a lot of people. I don't think he needs to chill. Hopping in the bed with the whole day on you is gross.

His nitpicking goes too far but I don't think this is one of those things.

It may not be as gross for Asians.  Most Asians don't even need to use deodorant.  There is some scientific evidence that their genetic makeup lacks the gene that makes BO smell bad.  And Bao being as small and female would smell even less because men tend to have worse armpit and other body odor.  It's science.  Of course anyone can smell a little after a hot day of nonstop exercise but on a regular basis, I don't see this as the big issue Johnny is making it out to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Rentals are a lot easier in terms of maintenance; if something breaks, someone else pays to fix it and handles the logistics. If you have a good management company, it's really easy. Many people prioritize spending to not include property ownership. It's not my approach to money - I hated renting and bought as soon as I could afford to do so - but Myrla's not alone in choosing to rent and free money (and time and hassle) up for other things.

I read a news article where a couple said they intentionally rented because their rent was only like 10% of their combined income and they came out much further ahead investing the money they would have spent on taxes, insurance, and a mortgage, plus they didn’t have the headache and expense of fixing and maintaining. My friend in NJ rents her place and the basement just flooded (horrible storms in the tri-state area yesterday); it’s not on her to fix it. (She & her husband were actually looking to buy but got beat a bunch of times in this market so they gave up for the time being; she said today that she was glad.)

Myrla is such a fucking pill. She just seems so joyless unless she’s talking about material things - I think that’s the only time she’s smiled. She also seems kind of boring. She thinks very highly of herself but for me there’s not much there there.

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

That's what it looked like at first but upon closer examination, I saw two three-digit numbers with a slash between them.  I thought it might be two different payments he makes to Geico, like maybe one for car insurance and one for homeowners insurance?

33 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

And for the record, I have no issue with showering in the morning (I have terrible bed head).

I have this horrible ability to smell that someone hasn't taken a shower after sleeping all night.  You know how old people can smell because they haven't bathed in a couple of days?  It's not underarm b.o. but just a funkiness.  I smell that on people who simply haven't taken a shower in the morning.  It's annoying, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to monetize this superpower. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

So, besides Johnny's cleanliness obsession with the many showers, he has a bidet??? Most men don't even know what one is, and I have never (and I am old) met a man who has his own. Poor Bao.

jihoon-clean-anal-90-day-fiance-the-other-way.png

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

It may not be as gross for Asians.  Most Asians don't even need to use deodorant.  There is some scientific evidence that their genetic makeup lacks the gene that makes BO smell bad.  And Bao being as small and female would smell even less because men tend to have worse armpit and other body odor.  It's science.  Of course anyone can smell a little after a hot day of nonstop exercise but on a regular basis, I don't see this as the big issue Johnny is making it out 

Washing yourself is not just about smell.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

Johnny is really picky, he doesn’t find someone expressing being happy attractive? 

I think Johnny was referencing Bao's tendency to slip into baby voice or her general little girl affect during romantic/flirtatious moments. A lot of women do it, even unconsciously, because a bewildering number of men are bizarrely into it and reaffirm that behavior. I'm with Johnny on (only) this - that shit is weird and screams emotional immaturity, not to mention killing any potential sexual tension. And if the producers went out of their way to make a montage of it, it's clearly a frequent habit of hers.

15 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Johnny knew and saw enough of Bao years ago that let him know he wasn't that interested in her.  Now they're married, and he can't get that impression of her out of his mind and is finding every little fault with her.

I'm willing to bet he still sees her as that "nerd girl" and continues to perceive himself as out of her league, even if he doesn't want to admit it. As much as the producers (and Johnny & Bao themselves) want to believe their story is "old friends reconnect and find love," with each passing episode it's feeling more like "aging fuckboy finds himself trapped in marriage with socially awkward college acquaintance he ghosted." And it seems like the ghosting happened within the past few years if Bao still had the texts, meaning they already had the opportunity to reconnect and Johnny wasn't interested.

6 hours ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Johnny was dead to me when he took his selfie video next to Bao while she was snoring. You may not agree with or understand her sensitivity around her snoring, but if you're married, you damn well better respect it. I would never feel safe around him if I were Bao.... that's a BIG betrayal.

Yeah, that was super cruel. I was disgusted that the producers chose to include that in the final cut. My opinion of Johnny is in freefall. I was initially worried Bao would be too uptight, but she's been nothing but receptive and accommodating to him. Johnny seems to have an overinflated sense of self.

• Love 18

I'm really having trouble getting into this season because there is not a single couple to root for. Usually there is one couple who have the flexibility and sense of humor to give things a go. This bunch is a complete disaster with the exception of Gil who seems to regard his shrew of a partner with a sense of bemused disbelief. Run Gil! RUNN!!!! And take Bao with you because she seems like she might be redeemable if paired with a partner who was looking for an actual human to marry. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
18 minutes ago, DocTerv said:

Gil who seems to regard his shrew of a partner with a sense of bemused disbelief.

He really seems like he’s peeped her game and is just riding this out good-naturedly. I commend him for that. He knows it’s not going to work (nor should it, she’s awful) so he’s trying to have some fun with it.

24 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I think Johnny was referencing Bao's tendency to slip into baby voice or her general little girl affect during romantic/flirtatious moments. A lot of women do it, even unconsciously, because a bewildering number of men are bizarrely into it and reaffirm that behavior. I'm with Johnny on (only) this - that shit is weird and screams emotional immaturity, not to mention killing any potential sexual tension.

I cannot stand baby talk - I can’t even stand when people (including men) use it with actual babies. It just hurts my ears. That Sex and the City episode where Samantha has sex with a guy who uses it in bed and she’s immediately turned off? I’m with her - dude, get off me and come back when you speak like an adult. Dirty talk? Yes. Baby talk? Hell no.

So I was with Johnny on that, but I was also with Bao in that if that’s how she expresses joy and she now feels like she can’t, what is she supposed to do? Also if he’s already checking out a week in, I don’t think this union is long for this world.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, DocTerv said:

I'm really having trouble getting into this season because there is not a single couple to root for.

Same. They seem horribly picked and mismatched. I keep coming here to check the comments to see if I feel like it warrants watching the episode, and every week, I'm like, I don't think I need to do this.........I guess I'll wait for the boston season spoilers to start coming out and maybe I'll pick it back up then. The only thing I honestly miss about this show is interacting with everyone here! ;-p

• Love 8
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Not if she is undecided about even kissing him before decision day.  If she still feels he is a stranger ( which she said in this episode)  after a wedding, a  several day honeymoon, and now living together… then she doesn’t like him.  Most people can manage a quick kiss goodnight by the second date.  

i think they are both interested. On her part the no kissing is a power-play, and i hate that. I look at Gil as tho he is in on the "you are the screwed dude this season" and laughing his way thru it. I hope he never gets too raped up in the myth that this is the most important event in your life. nope it is a silly reality show.I think Gil gets it.

Edited by geej
  • Love 11

I think Johnny has a very high opinion of himself and doesn’t know how to be the slightest bit accommodating even if he wanted to be. I find the interactions between Bao and Johnny to be quite stilted and formal. It’s like they don't really know how to be playful (as in, no giggling?). Don’t forget that Bao has had numerous broken engagements, so she’s no prize package either. Granted, her fiancés in the past might have been losers and SHE broke things off, but at her age (35?), you’d think she would have somewhat figured out how these things work. And I’m not sure Johnny would have the slightest idea of how to be a parent, because he has no flexibility.

• Love 11
17 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Every little thing bothers all of them,and it’s only the beginning.  Everything is a big deal, and they are only married one week.  

THIS is precisely why these people have remained single. Marriage is compromise. If you have the same morals and values and goals for family and finances, and hopefully find the other person attractive then that is what matters. They all need to grow up. 

And.... to the people that find going to bed without showering nasty, I find nothing wrong with showering in the morning. I personally find waking up after 8 hrs of sleep funk on you, then going straight to work or what ever your day brings without showering is more gross. I like to be clean and shampooed before presenting myself to the world.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, Shauna said:

Not only that, but I'm not finding her attractive on any level, least of all physically.  

In thinking about the casting this season it occurred to me that getting a group of "singles" in their 30's might not have been the best chance at marital success.  With the exception of Gil (and maybe Rachel), I'm not seeing ANY of these cast members as "marriage material."  Each needs serious therapy and some type of "marriage counselling" (after they find out what behaviors and/or other traits are holding them back from feeling whole,  happy and comfortable within themselves) regarding what "marriage" is all about. 

Marriage is different than "getting along" when each (or both) of the partners feel conflicted, unhappy and/or unable to express him/herself on an ongoing and continuing basis. 

It also REQUIRES a common set of values, especially as pertains to religion, sex, having children and money.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I felt for Michaela when she said “my dad is gone forever.” I have that realization about my dad periodically - I think of what Michelle Obama said in her book when she realized her dad was dying: “he will miss the whole rest of my life.”

Unfortunately, the “Dead Dad Club” appears to have one of the largest memberships. I too am a member. The pain subsides, but it doesn’t go away.

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one confused about his budget.

Scoot over and let me sit by you because I just couldn't understand any of it.  I paused on it and looked and looked and looked.....

Color me confused.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

And for the record, I have no issue with showering in the morning (I have terrible bed head). I think Johnny needs to get over his germophobia about Bao showering at night. Why is he so hung up on that?

On Unfiltered, Johnny made it clear that he wanted Bao clean when he went downtown. 

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, Shauna said:

On Unfiltered, Johnny made it clear that he wanted Bao clean when he went downtown. 

He is so nasty. What a dick. Ok, so if she wants you to go downtown, maybe she'll shower. If she doesn't shower, maybe you're not all that in that department Johnny, know what I mean? Personally I loved how Bao was like,  uh yeah I'm not gonna shower, sorry not sorry. And I'm a shower before bed person all the way!

Brett: BRA!

Dogs: Yay! Except don't cut your dogs' ears off. I'm sad to say, if Gil has indeed had Hype since six weeks, then he did dock them, or allow it.

Myrla: Her apartment was so basic! Her wall of herself was hysterical. She is awful, just awful.

Everyone else: yawn

• Love 8
19 hours ago, glitterpussy said:

He is so nasty. What a dick. Ok, so if she wants you to go downtown, maybe she'll shower. If she doesn't shower, maybe you're not all that in that department Johnny, know what I mean? Personally I loved how Bao was like,  uh yeah I'm not gonna shower, sorry not sorry. And I'm a shower before bed person all the way!

Brett: BRA!

Dogs: Yay! Except don't cut your dogs' ears off. I'm sad to say, if Gil has indeed had Hype since six weeks, then he did dock them, or allow it.

Myrla: Her apartment was so basic! Her wall of herself was hysterical. She is awful, just awful.

Everyone else: yawn

Oh, I must have missed Gil saying he had Hype since six weeks.  That poor dog's ears.  Hard to look at. 

Brett looked like she felt uncomfortable during the meeting with Pastor Cal, the way she kept fussing with her (tank) top.  I don't know why she thinks she looks good.  She need support, otherwise, they're just flipping and flopping everywhere. 

Still not sure why Myrla's brother has access to her financial stuff.  That's weird. 

Edited by Shauna
added a few words to make sense
  • Love 2

Myrla is a princess.

Michaela is a nutters who I wouldn't sleep next to for fear she might harm me in my sleep.

I can't get over Brett's lack of a bra and her mouth.

Jose is controlling and seems like he could easily become obsessed with his wife or girlfriend.  The way he kept his hand on the small of Rachel's back when they first entered (her or their) apartment was off putting.  Also, the way he insisted on five kisses in one scene. 

Ryan.  Does he ever smile.  He always has a creepy look on his face.  Reminds me of guys who think it is weak to show emotion. 

Johnny wants to constantly smile and often tries to hide it.  A nervous smile, it seems. 

Bao is too much in her own head.

Zach seems nice enough.

Gil also seems nice enough, but I can't forgive him for the dog ear thing.  Also can't get past the way he talks. 

Rachel talks soooo slooowww.  Girl, hurry up. 

• Love 9

The experts thought Gil and Myrla were going to be the perfect sexy couple. Those guests with Kevin that were suppose to guess the success of the couples also thought that.  I remember everyone kept talking about how hot and sexy Gil & Myrla were going to be. They all just knew that they were going to be too hot to keep their hands off each other.  Well they were all totally wrong.  Gil and Myrla are not even kissing.   

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Ryan's mounted deer head would have had me running for the door, but at least he offered to put it in the basement.

I do wonder about Bao's three broken engagements and what went wrong with the relationships.  I'm not saying it's her fault because we don't know, but there's a seemingly fake, childlike innocence about her that's kind of off-putting, even though she seems nice on the surface.   Johnny's picking at all kinds of reasons to justify not being with her, so I'll be interested to see what happens on Decision Day.  

While I don't think either man is gay, I do like the bromance between him and Jose.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

he offered to put it in the basement.

Finally, something I could like about Ryan. 

Johnny. Bao, check out, honey. I know he was a crush. And I know you each have a bidet (!). But how much self-esteem will you have left after 8 weeks with him? He's got some deep-rooted issues, some personality, some, well, I'm not a doctor. But on the chance you'd like to have a child, try imagining him changing a diaper. Or how he will damage some innocent during toilet training. And Johnny, your constant and insincere smile is a tick just as annoying (more so) than Bao's giggling. How's that feel? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
20 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I can understand choosing not to use a dishwasher for one person… but Jose either washes dishes instead of Rachel or he tells her the dishwasher is up to her. 

Myrla spends more on one pair of shoes than I spend in 18 months on all of my shoe purchases in total.  I absolutely do not understand where her money comes from because she can’t possibly clear that much  on her paychecks to afford her lifestyle. 
I make almost as much as I think she does, and then you add in my spouses’ income . We can’t afford what she buys. 

She reminds me of people who Iive in a shithole or in their parent's basement but have luxury cars and designer duds because they want to project the image of being successful.  She may do well for herself as a consultant/coach, but her home doesn't match her need for luxury, so maybe all her dough goes to wardrobe/eyelashes?  I don't know -- some of her shoes are almost a mortgage payment/rent.  

I could afford her shoes, but I'd find it a complete waste of money.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I think Johnny knew and saw enough of Bao years ago that let him know he wasn't that interested in her.  Now they're married, and he can't get that impression of her out of his mind and is finding every little fault with her.  I do think he should stop being so picky and should try and get to know her better.  She seems nice and intelligent but if he's certain by now that he doesn't want to be married to her, then be nice and ride it out until Decision Day. 

If something were to happen between them, it would've happened a long time ago.  Not that a spark couldn't happened now that they are older and I suppose wiser (well, she is), but I don't think Johnny was ever attracted to her and probably never will be.  Unless she's in bed with him.

I also just don't believe Johnny was ever the ladies man he loves to brag he is.  He seems to have some need to make everyone around him think he's this frat boy, fun, partying guy and I just feel like he's playing a role. I bet he's extremely insecure and this is all an act.

Bao, you can do better.  I mean fuck, I can't even imagine telling someone that their giddyiness was a turn-off.  Seriously fuck that guy.  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, glitterpussy said:

Yeah, I didn't catch the whole discussion on Unfiltered, but it seems like Johnny is assuming that activity is a given. Congrats on being up for it, I guess, but that doesn't mean Bao necessarily likes it, or has the energy or interest to participate if she's too tired to even shower.

Also, shout out to the demanding-hair, dry-skin ladies.  I know showering is not "just" a 5-minute event when you have to deal with either washing and drying long or curly hair, or putting it in a shower cap which means creases and tangles and damp edges, plus the whole moisturizing routine and waiting for the Eucerin to absorb so you're not all sticky...

43 minutes ago, Shauna said:

Jose is controlling and seems like he could easily become obsessed with his wife or girlfriend.  The way he kept his hand on the small of Rachel's back when they first entered (her or their) apartment was off putting.  Also, the way he insisted on five kisses in one scene. 

Ryan.  Does he ever smile.  He always has a creepy look on his face.  Reminds me of guys who think it is weak to show emotion. 

Gil also seems nice enough, but I can't forgive him for the dog ear thing.  Also can't get past the way he talks. 

Rachel talks soooo slooowww.  Girl, hurry up. 

José stresses me out. He's either low-key controlling, which sucks, or he's heading straight for high-key controlling, abusive, and obsessive.  He also held Rachel's torso while they were walking into a bedroom, like he was steering her. I don't know how she doesn't elbow him in the gut when he does that shit. Controlling her movement like that is such a red flag that he doesn't view her as an equal, autonomous individual.

Ryan stresses me out, too, but not in a "coming soon on Investigation Discovery" way. Being married to someone who gives zero nonverbal feedback, and almost zero verbal, would make me unhinged. His deadpan delivery can be funny, but it makes it hard to know when he's serious. He talks about wanting a family and planning for the future in exactly the same way he tells Brett that if the dogs don't get along, well, hers has had a good 11 years, so... (I assume that was a joke!) 

Regardless of how I feel about pit bulls as pets, I do hate to see any animal mutilated like that. Hype's ears aren't just cropped, which would be bad enough; they're downright mangled. Not okay.

Whenever Rachel talks, I picture Chandler Bing squirming and yelling "get there faster!"

14 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Ryan's mounted deer head would have had me running for the door, but at least he offered to put it in the basement.

I do wonder about Bao's three broken engagements and what went wrong with the relationships.  I'm not saying it's her fault because we don't know, but there's a seemingly fake, childlike innocence about her that's kind of off-putting, even though she seems nice on the surface.   Johnny's picking at all kinds of reasons to justify not being with her, so I'll be interested to see what happens on Decision Day.  

I was impressed that Ryan was wiling to move the carcass. Even though hunting for sport grosses me out, I had to laugh when Brett asked if he killed it, and he was like, "of course I killed it!" He's hard to read but those moments make me think there's hope. 

Bao and Johnny are both complicated over-thinkers. I think Bao's childishness has been reinforced her whole life, and while it may not be her innermost true self, it would be nearly impossible to shed just for Johnny, and he likely wouldn't give her much encouragement no matter how she did it. I wonder how he would've been with someone like Haley. Love or hate her, she's definitely not the simpering type. He says he needs someone to be more into him than he is into her, but I think he actually sees those women as needy and clingy and he loses interest.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8