Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Home, Not Alone

• Start Topic

The couples return to Houston to live together for the first time as husband and wife, but settling into day-to-day life is a rough transition for anyone.  Now our stranger spouses are challenged with the struggles of every day life and the decision to fight for their marriages - or flee from them.

Airs Wednesday Sept 1 at 8PM EDT; the thread will unlock at that time.

As always, this is a spoiler-free topic. If it did not happen yet in the episode, please do not discuss.

• Love 1

Looks like Johnny has some major concerns about Bao and wants to stay at his place part of the time. I think he’s doing his usual “find something wrong” and bail. He really doesn’t want to be married. 
José thinks Rachel is a version of him and what’s not to love, right? Dude doesn’t even approve of using the dishwasher and is putting up her own whiteboard for a budget. He’s such a pain in the ass, picking apart her apartment. 

Edited by Kiss my mutt
  • Love 16

Best thing so far is the standoff between Baxter and Mazie.  

16 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Dude doesn’t even approve of using the dishwasher. 

I have a dishwasher but I don't use mine either because I don't use that many dishes, so I understand where Jose's coming from.   

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I was expecting Myrla’s place to be a lot nicer than it is. Guess all her money goes into shoes and her beauty maintenance. Hype is a sweet dog. Very well behaved.  
I hope Jose doesn’t expect Rachel to hand wash everything especially if she’s cooking which I can see him demanding this. I cook a lot and somehow manage to dirty up every dish in the house!

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Best thing so far is the standoff between Baxter and Mazie.  

I have a dishwasher but I don't use mine either because I don't use that many dishes, so I understand where Jose's coming from.   

My dishwasher is broken and i cant get a repair person here for a month

I can understand choosing not to use a dishwasher for one person… but Jose either washes dishes instead of Rachel or he tells her the dishwasher is up to her. 

Myrla spends more on one pair of shoes than I spend in 18 months on all of my shoe purchases in total.  I absolutely do not understand where her money comes from because she can’t possibly clear that much  on her paychecks to afford her lifestyle. 
I make almost as much as I think she does, and then you add in my spouses’ income . We can’t afford what she buys. 

• Love 13

7 minutes of show, 12 commercials.  I counted.  Ridiculous!

Myrla is outrageous.  Designer shoes and bags .. too many in one year.  Pictures of herself all over her apartment.  Hates just about everything.  Gil might think it’s cute now, but after awhile he won’t.  She’s too materialistic.

Jose would drive me nuts with the money situation.

Johnny has to chill.  Some people shower at night, some in the morning.  That’s Byo’s prerogative.

Brett is easy to get along with.  I hope the dogs get along.

Michaelina has a bad temper.  She will be a problem.  He looks too nice for her.  I take this back.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 12

I’m shocked, I mean SHOCKED, that Jose and Rachel have done the deed!

Michaela and Zack’s dogs were so cute together and went right to playing. 
Hopefully Maisie and Baxter will get used to each other but they’re both adorable. I like the dogs better than the cast. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
Just now, kristen111 said:

What??  Brett pours her heart out to Cal about liking him,and Ryan says he’s not there yet.  She looked very disappointed.  These Experts are too nosey.

Yeah, what was that all about? I would think he’d be at least in like by now!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

You’re right Gil. In fact if Mryla didn’t kiss you after a week, I’d walk. 

Who does she think she is?  Another man would not take her attitude.  Looks like a child would be an annoyance to her.  Everything is about her, and he’s been patient enough.  She’s not all that.

• Love 19

Michela is a ticking time bomb but in this particular instance, I can understand why she's upset with Zack.  I don't understand why he couldn't have just left her a text or a note when he took the dog out and was gone for two hours.  He should have known that she'd wonder where he was.  I don't like the fact that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Michaela has abandonment issues, I can understand, but she needs to control her temper. It probably wouldn’t kill Zack to leave her a note or text when he goes out. 
Johnny is really picky, he doesn’t find someone expressing being happy attractive? 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I can understand choosing not to use a dishwasher for one person… but Jose either washes dishes instead of Rachel or he tells her the dishwasher is up to her. 

Myrla spends more on one pair of shoes than I spend in 18 months on all of my shoe purchases in total.  I absolutely do not understand where her money comes from because she can’t possibly clear that much  on her paychecks to afford her lifestyle. 
I make almost as much as I think she does, and then you add in my spouses’ income . We can’t afford what she buys. 

That is probably because you enjoy the luxury of savings or investments instead of designer shoes that hurt your feet and will go out of style next year.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
43 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Yeah, what was that all about? I would think he’d be at least in like by now!

He said he wasn’t to the point of love yet, which he defined as caring about her more than himself.  I didn’t see it as saying he didn’t like her. 

as to Zack … he has been married for a little over  a week, most  of which he spent by himself.  Michaela should go with a simple reminder of ‘ leave me a note’. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Michela is a ticking time bomb but in this particular instance, I can understand why she's upset with Zack.  I don't understand why he couldn't have just left her a text or a note when he took the dog out and was gone for two hours.  He should have known that she'd wonder where he was.  I don't like the fact that he doesn't think he did anything wrong.  

You are right.  I was wrong about her.  He shouldn’t have walked out without telling her.  Every little thing bothers all of them,and it’s only the beginning.  Everything is a big deal, and they are only married one week.  That’s why I don’t believe in this show.  Unless it’s scripted, which it is.  Now I know why I’m married for so long.  We don’t sweat the everyday small stuff.  We don’t criticize.  We just go with the flow.

• Love 15

I think Johnny knew and saw enough of Bao years ago that let him know he wasn't that interested in her.  Now they're married, and he can't get that impression of her out of his mind and is finding every little fault with her.  I do think he should stop being so picky and should try and get to know her better.  She seems nice and intelligent but if he's certain by now that he doesn't want to be married to her, then be nice and ride it out until Decision Day. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
23 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Michaela has abandonment issues, I can understand, but she needs to control her temper. It probably wouldn’t kill Zack to leave her a note or text when he goes out. 
Johnny is really picky, he doesn’t find someone expressing being happy attractive? 

He has too many issues and should be single.  Marriage is not for him as he will pick on every little thing and make her feel inadequate and not loveable.  I think she deserves better.  Now, she can’t even giggle?  Screw him.  He’s a nut job.  He wants perfection, and there’s no such person.  He will make her a nervous wreck.  She’s sad and confused already.

• Like 1
  • Love 20
9 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

He has too many issues and should be single.  Marriage is not for him as he will pick on every little thing and make her feel inadequate and not loveable.  I think she deserves better.  Now, she can’t even giggle?  Screw him.  He’s a nut job.  He wants perfection, and there’s no such person.  He will make her a nervous wreck.  She’s sad and confused already.

She should throw shade right back at him.  We haven’t heard her criticize him at all. 

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

She should throw shade right back at him.  We haven’t heard her criticize him at all. 

She’s too nice.  She should make a list about him and throw it in his face.  He had to leave the first night to collect himself.  He didn’t want to hear her snore probably.  Maybe she should sleep with her eyes open.  He probably doesn’t want her to use his toilet either.

Edited by kristen111
  • Love 5

I have a feeling there was more to Zach and Michaela’s story than what was shown.  He just happened to fall asleep in the room with his dog, then got up the next morning and left for two and a half hours without saying a word.  They clearly “yada, yada” through an important scene, because Michaela was royally ticked. 

I thought Myrla’s apartment rather basic.  She made it perfectly clear that she likes the finer things in life, so, like Gil, I too was expecting something a little more extravagant. 

I believe Johnny isn’t feeling Bao and is looking for an out.  At this point, anything will do, no matter how trivial.  

• Love 13

Where to start? None of these couples stay together. Don’t care what they say on D Day (looking at you, Carla and Ryan, Erik and Gin).

Michaela needs some serious therapy. Not from Pepper, either. Zach, she did say she texted you. WTF? The moment she basically called him a liar was the death knell, sorry, Pastor Cal.

Jose could not be less attractive, but I’m glad he and Johnny have found each other. So, happy for Rachel and Bao, they both deserve better.

Looks like Gil may have settled for getting the good guy story and lots of dates after this train wreck.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13

I think Johnny was not attracted to Bao many years ago and that has not changed. He looks at her like a sister or cousin rather than a romantic partner.

I think she is adorable and did not find her giddiness too childish. 

Johnny is a nice guy and does not want to look like a jerk on TV. 
He might be another in a long line of participants on this show who are not attracted to their spouse and therefore does not give them a chance.

I think he wants a more outgoing and more self confident woman than Bao.

• Love 7

It looks like Johnny finds a reason not to like every woman he's ever met, which is why he's still single at his age.  Otherwise the show wouldn't call him "life of the picky party".

God forbid Bao has emotions, needs, feelings, bodily functions.  It's all too much for him.  He has no business being married.  Maybe he just doesn't like women, period. Last week I said he felt like a misogynist to me.  That's often how they are.  Either that or he is another closet bisexual who really likes men more but has a traditional streak (like José) and so he likes the idea of being married to a woman more and keeps hoping one will come along that will change his mind.

That said, Bao is an absolute killjoy but I think she knows how he feels (or doesn't feel) about her and it's making her even more neurotic about herself than she already is. 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Can’t stand when people mutilate pitbulls’ ears.

I’d be willing to bet that Hype’s ears were like that before Gil got him. Many pitbull-type dogs in shelters & rescues have had their ears cropped — often very inhumanely— by bad previous owners. I don’t see Gil as cruel/insensitive (he bathes him every week - probably has allergies). I bet Hype was a rescue/shelter adoption.

Edited by ChiMama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 16

I normally feel sorry for anyone with abandonment issues (and yes losing someone to death can feel like an abandonment), but the way Michaela went from zero to 90 and violent in a hot second a huge red flag.  She goes straight for the worst case scenario?  Just who has she been hanging out with, the devil?  Geez, he made an honest mistake, but everything with her is taken as a personal affront.  Living with her would be an absolute nightmare for anyone.  Even my own husband had to learn to call me if he had to work late or leave early when we first got married.  People often don't come out of the box knowing these things if they've never lived with a spouse before.  My mother always told me "you have to train them right".  If Michaela's father was supposedly so wonderful you would think she would have some faith in men deep down, not some automatic complex that every one of them is going to leave her just like that out of the blue.  Something doesn't feel right about that or her.

I know she loved her father but just how much did he protect her and what from?  Sounds like that was a dysfunctional relationship.  She does need therapy.  I don't believe the show couldn't have seen that coming a mile away after making her take their so-called professional "instruments" that are supposed to weed out the wackos.  They probably knew how she was and were just looking for drama.  Poor Zach, the look on his face told me he knows she's nuts already but he's trying to do the right thing anyway.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
3 minutes ago, ChiMama said:

I’d be willing to bet that Hype’s ears were like that before Gil got him. Many pitbull-type dogs in shelters & rescues have had their ears cropped — often very inhumanely— by bad previous owners. I don’t see Gil as cruel/insensitive (he bathed him every week - probably has allergies) - I bet Hype is a rescue. 

I had the exact same feeling about Hype being a rescue for the same reasons.  So much for pit bulls and pit bull mixes being naturally aggressive, right?  They are NOT, and this dog is proof of that.  Hype's ears may have been cropped but it doesn't look like anyone mistreated him enough for him to turn aggressive.  He is a sweet, lovable dog like any other family pet.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I thought Myrla’s apartment rather basic.  She made it perfectly clear that she likes the finer things in life, so, like Gil, I too was expecting something a little more extravagant. 

I see both sides of the Myrla/Gil issue.  She's been living her version of the single life.  Men do this by buying huge stereos and cars instead of Louboutins.  When women come into their lives they gradually get rid of the leather sectional and he somehow never goes out to buy another expensive stereo or vintage car or guitar.  But Myrla is digging her heels in about her lifestyle, which is concerning.  When your apartment suffers because your closet has more money tied up in it than most people's houses in total, that's a problem when you get married and need to think about someone other than yourself.  My sense is that at least some of those outfits were part of her singles wardrobe and if she were to end up happily married she would not need so many high priced outfits and shoes anymore.  She is not hopeless but it might take time and some faith on Gil's part.  But it's too soon to tell if that will ever happen.  And it doesn't look like it will right now either.

On the other hand, Gil isn't putting forward his best look by constantly harping on her extravagant tastes.  He is making himself look like he wants to control her every move and she might not appreciate that.  Plus he looks insecure about his ability to afford her.  He is looking at her as a dependent and IMO that insults her because she didn't sign on for a father, but a partner.  She isn't looking disappointed in him for not being rich because she is secure in her earnings ability and isn't looking for a man to support her.  But he is acting like a man that is looking for a woman to support and who looks up to him as the provider and head of household.  And Myrla is far too independent and progressive to want to be that woman.  And good for her!

One thing I have to say about Myrla, she is keeping it classy by not insulting Gil or tweaking him about his lowly fireman's salary.  I think she actually likes him, but he is too caught up in his traditional male ego to appreciate her finer attributes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This season is absolutely bizarre. Almost everyone in the cast is neurotic or has unresolved identity issues.

Michaela's reaction was totally out of line, but I don't blame her for being annoyed with Zack. Just disappearing is not OK. Most people show more courtesy to their roommates, never mind a spouse. "I didn't text because I didn't want to wake you up." Oh, does she have a Zack Morris phone? Because phones made post-2008 have Do Not Disturb settings that people use if they don't want to be woken up by texts. Try again.

We literally paused the episode for at least 10 minutes trying to parse José's graffiti-tagged budget board. Some of it added up but a lot made no sense at all. The numbers directly under "MONTHLY EXPENSES" included $7,200 savings, $1,400 HSA (presumably Health Savings Account), $70,000 401k, and $3,000 stonks. Those are absurd monthly numbers, but make sense for ambitious annual amounts. His job title earns somewhere between $56k to over $100k/year, so if he's putting half his paycheck into retirement and pre-tax health spending, the $3000/month he seemed to be working with could make sense as take-home pay. 

From that, he was breaking it down into bills, "expenses," and savings. The bills included AT&T, T-Mobile, and FUBO, so homeboy is connected. We also figured out that the bottom line item was a power company, and I forget the rest, but the takeaways here are:

1. José has the luxury of being an anal-retentive Dave Ramsey acolyte. Congrats, papi. Some of us have student loans until we die.

2. José cannot comprehend that anyone might have different money habits but still be a decent and functional person. Some people like to save up a big pile to sit on (he who dies with the most toys wins, etc.), and others want to spread the enjoyment out over their lifetimes, however long they may be. While I'm personally quite risk-averse, I do prefer Rachel's approach to traveling whenever she can, rather than hoping to cram it all in someday and gambling (that's what it is) that she will live long enough, be physically able, and still have money to do it -- and that the world won't be locked down due to pandemics or other crises in the future. Girl, go to Japan! Leave your husband at home with his "guy friends." I'm sure they can think of something to do.

3. This season has me playing forensic accountant because the couples are so lame.

~ Bonus observation: José had the TV in his bedroom hung on a side wall, beyond the foot of the bed, about 8' off the ground. Just because you work for NASA doesn't mean you need to watch TV from outer space.

Gil and Myrla are as inscrutable to me as José's ledger. They seem to take turns liking each other, one at a time. I don't think 30 seconds on camera with Hype acting cowed and submissive means we're in the clear behaviorally. All dogs are bred for certain traits -- pointing, setting, retrieving, shepherding, etc. Pit/bully breeds are bred to murder. This is just a fact. Any time a human keeps a murderhound in their home and no one gets mutilated, that's a breed failure but a win for the bipeds. People can claim their murderhound is a precious sweet fluffy muffin, but the stats are what they are. Pit bulls kill more humans than every other breed combined.

I don't know if Myrla is aware of this stat, or if her reluctance maxed out at "he smells bad. I told him hi already," but in either case, she's entitled to not want to live with a dog. I love dogs (I just happen to prefer the less murderous ones), I adore cats, I wish I literally were a raccoon. But some people aren't animal lovers and they're not obligated to change, any more than I would be obligated to pretend human babies aren't wobbly and gross, or that cilantro is a legitimate "food." The problem, as always, is that the matches are designed for drama, not success. I'd love to see a good faith version of this show. 

Johnny continues to be the south campus of My Brother-in-Law. As in, I happen to have a relative a lot like Johnny -- mannerisms, UT degree, and all -- just a click or two north. BIL is a little older, and I think he truly is straight, but he has ruled out a long line of attractive, successful women for the most insignificant reasons. He also is a bit too fond of married women, probably because of the built-in excuse not to commit (not saying Johnny would do that). The older he gets, the less likely it is he will ever tolerate someone enough to merge households or be legally bound in a community property state. Johnny seems to be trying to avoid that fate, but not trying hard enough.

However, I can't blame him for being turned off by Bao acting like a literal child, which she absolutely does. That behavior works on a lot of men, and frankly, it's gross. And to his credit, Johnny did not bring this up. Cal pried it out of him, and he winced the whole time he said it. I'm sure it was hurtful and embarrassing for Bao, and it's true that she can't really be herself around him, knowing that. I don't know where they go from here. It's almost like... just being Asian isn't enough to sustain a marriage...

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, ChiMama said:
9 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Can’t stand when people mutilate pitbulls’ ears.

I’d be willing to bet that Hype’s ears were like that before Gil got him. Many pitbull-type dogs in shelters & rescues have had their ears cropped — often very inhumanely— by bad previous owners. I don’t see Gil as cruel/insensitive (he bathes him every week - probably has allergies). I bet Hype was a rescue/shelter adoption.

Didn't he say he had Hype since he was 6 weeks old? And isn't he a pit bull mix? Maybe those are his normal ears because of whatever breed he's mixed with? I have no clue, it's just a thought.

Could Johnny be any more unlikeable? Yikes!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ChiMama said:

I was thinking the same thing about Hype having arrived at the shelter like that. I am regularly looking for the my perfect dog on petfinder and see many pitbulls with cropped ears. I agree that Gil didn’t do it, since he doesn’t seem the type to hurt a dog nor need to prove is own machismo.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I normally feel sorry for anyone with abandonment issues (and yes losing someone to death can feel like an abandonment), but the way Michaela went from zero to 90 and violent in a hot second a huge red flag.  She goes straight for the worst case scenario?  Just who has she been hanging out with, the devil?  Geez, he made an honest mistake, but everything with her is taken as a personal affront.  Living with her would be an absolute nightmare for anyone.  Even my own husband had to learn to call me if he had to work late or leave early when we first got married.  People often don't come out of the box knowing these things if they've never lived with a spouse before.  My mother always told me "you have to train them right".  If Michaela's father was supposedly so wonderful you would think she would have some faith in men deep down, not some automatic complex that every one of them is going to leave her just like that out of the blue.  Something doesn't feel right about that or her.

I know she loved her father but just how much did he protect her and what from?  Sounds like that was a dysfunctional relationship.  She does need therapy.  I don't believe the show couldn't have seen that coming a mile away after making her take their so-called professional "instruments" that are supposed to weed out the wackos.  They probably knew how she was and were just looking for drama.  Poor Zach, the look on his face told me he knows she's nuts already but he's trying to do the right thing anyway.

Geeze .. so he didn’t want to wake her up and she went bezerk.  Here I thought he was the easy type, but is not.  She’s going to be a thorn in his side, and he won’t stand for it.  No wonder these people have to be matched.  They didn’t even get to the hard stuff yet.

• Love 8

One of the things that disturbs me about Michaela is that she lied. She told Zach that she would not leave when they had an argument. He’s gone for a couple hours and while he is gone, she packs up and leaves.  
My spouse loses track of time when he’s talking with his friends.  A simple errand can turn into 3 hours. Does it annoy me sometimes?  Yes but it’s not an offense that I would pack up and leave for.  In 31 years of marriage, I have never done that.  Although I have gone for a drive or two to get some space. 

same observation about Johnny.  There were obviously two bedrooms in those apartments.  He could have said he needed  some space and slept there, gone for a walk.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14
1 minute ago, mythoughtis said:

One of the things that disturbs me about Michaela is that she lied. She told Zach that she would not leave when they had an argument. He’s gone for a couple hours and while he is gone, she packs up and leaves.  
My spouse loses track of time when he’s talking with his friends.  A simple errand can turn into 3 hours. Does it annoy me sometimes?  Yes but it’s not an offense that I would pack up and leave for.  In 31 years of marriage, I have never done that.  Although I have gone for a drive or two to get some space. 

Why didn't she just call or text him?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I agree with you.    Greg/Vincent don't seem to have an issue with their wives baby talk. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

However, I can't blame him for being turned off by Bao acting like a literal child, which she absolutely does. That behavior works on a lot of men, and frankly, it's gross. And to his credit, Johnny did not bring this up.

Wasn't Johnny the one with the Star Wars Light Sabers and that they both played with them does he equate that with child like behaviors?

3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

and $3,000 stonks

What are "stonks," am I too poor to have "stonks?" His money map was confusing for sure and wouldn't it make sense to have an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of all that instead of a white board for all the world to see?  Humble bragging?

I have a close friend that ended a 16 year relationship (with a narcissist) and waited a while before she thought about dating, she is now wistfully chasing after an emotionally and physically unavailable guy we went to high school with, she is living for the once in a blue moon text, we went to school with a guy who I adore, his wife died a few years ago, (Cancer, ugh. Horrible, not that it is ever good), and would treat her like gold, I put it out there to her and she shot me down so fast my head spun, I have my thoughts about that but cannot understand it...Jose and Johnny are that type of person to find whatever reason to dispose of a good thing without solid reasons ala Seinfeld.  Jose seems like he would rather mope around wondering why his single, Johnny will have his brief relationships and wonder why if he is "G-ds gift to women why can't he stick with one. 

Johnny drives a Tesla, nice.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think Johnny was not attracted to Bao many years ago and that has not changed. He looks at her like a sister or cousin rather than a romantic partner.

I think she is adorable and did not find her giddiness too childish. 

Johnny is a nice guy and does not want to look like a jerk on TV. 
He might be another in a long line of participants on this show who are not attracted to their spouse and therefore does not give them a chance.

I think he wants a more outgoing and more self confident woman than Bao.

He’s already sorry he went into this.  He wants to get out, but doesn’t want to look mean.  It’s hard to try to care for someone when it just isn’t there.  My Mother was matched in the day, but was not happy her whole life.  I felt sorry for my Father as he was a good looking sweet man.  I  believe in finding love before marriage, as it’s the best time of your life.  Something wonderful to remember in your later years.  A wonderful memory.  I have a feeling the show is trying something new.  Johnny and Jose might be trying to find themselves and want to see how it goes.  Just my opinion. Hope I’m wrong for the girls sakes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I could have sworn she said she did but he didn't respond.  Still not an offense that warrants walking out in a huff over.

I once killed a man for less. LOL.

Any over the top reaction like hers should be examined, Zack might not have to change his whole being to placate her but there will be many more repeats in the future if they do not address this issue ASAP, Zack does not seem the type to walk on egg shells for the rest of his life, I am not saying he is innocent in this but damn, if he leaves to go to work for 8 hours will she freak out? Will she put a gps on his phone? Hard to have a marriage when someone does not trust you even if there is nothing going on.

I would like this show to figure out a different way to approach the marriage aspect, maybe let the couples pick from the experts top two choices so someone does not live with a dog they don't want or a tightwad vs. spender, etc...then the experts can watch if those people made their choices wisely, either way it would be the experts top two choices so they did make the matches.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8