Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E07: Home, Not Alone

• Start Topic

Johnny's got some nerve to talk about Bao turning him off. He doesn't even turn anyone on! He BARELY registers on the scale of masculinity! 😂 His male pattern baldness is pretty manly. 😉 His body is such an undefined waste of flesh, a blind person would find it challenging to tell what he is. His expressions are so absurdly exaggerated. He needs to take a hard look in the mirror while he's passing so much judgement on Bao. Ugh! He's being so unlikeable.

Edited by Lindz
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 9/2/2021 at 6:55 PM, qtpye said:

They might be the surprise success story.

One thing that I found confusing is that on one of the earlier Unfiltered, Ryan said that he would have been happy with a honeymoon baby.

In last night's episode, he said he was just in "like" with Brett and was not sure about her yet.

How do you have a baby with a woman that you are not sure about?

He's desperate for a child. He said he'd planned on adopting if he didn't have one at x age & kept pushing back the age he'd adopt at. 😂 He mainly wants a child. That's all that matters to him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, essexjan said:

I call producer shenanigans on the Johnny and Bao snoring video. I think the snores were added in post-production.

Oh absolutely. Surely no one is naive enough to believe that actually happened, are they? They didn't even sound synchronized to the video.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, karenbrady said:

She said she did and he didn’t and answer .

And like I pointed out in 2 posts already, on Unfiltered Zack said he texted her back.  Plus he says he told her the night before that he was going to the Doggy Daycare in the morning.  He didn't specify an exact time.  One of them is either lying or not listening to the other.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, qtpye said:

I found this strange because I could never passionately kiss anyone that I looked upon as a brother or reminded me of my brother.

His doubletalk makes NO SENSE!! If he's turned off & feels like he's kissing his sister, WHY continue doing it???? Makes him look worse, Mr. I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE BLINDSIDED SO I'LL TELL YOU HOW I FEEL. 🤔

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Blissfool said:

UO: I enjoy watching Myrla and Gil's teasing and banter. They josh each other but don't get their feelings hurt. They just continue to see who can get the other one better. Granted, Gil gets more jabs in, but Myrla takes them in stride and most of time has a comeback.

Bantering is sexy to me - it’s a sign of intelligence when someone has a quick wit and intelligence is hot to me (and a lack of intelligence and curiosity is a huge turn-off). Also “playing the dozens” is a cultural thing, so it’s fun when that is shared. I like that Gil and Myrla banter but it’s clearly not turning them on. Maybe they’ll end up friends, at best.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yep, I agree with you here - if you noticed I later posted acknowledging Zach's version of the story after I watched Unfiltered.  I hate it that they put that on so late - After 2 hours of the show I don't watch Unfiltered until the next morning.

Did you catch the part where Zach tells Jamie O. that he told Michaela the night before that he was going to the doggy daycare?  He didn't give an exact time, but he said he told her.  He added that part in after telling Jamie he texted her in the a.m.  So if both are true he thought he had all the bases covered.  I have no reason to doubt him but if he's being honest then Michaela is lying or she just didn't listen to him, which is arguably not his fault.  Maybe he can be faulted for not grabbing her attention enough but even that's a stretch.  If he is being honest I don't know what he did wrong.  I just have a hard time believing Michaela because she sets off all kinds of crazy alarm bells in me.  She seems like someone with such abandonment issues that she will filter out anything that doesn't look like abandonment to her just to relive her negative past over and over again, even if it means not giving Zach the benefit of any doubt as to his recollection of the timing and instead making a beeline for "you're a GD lying MF-er".

I agree.  The way she's reacting to this tells me all you need to know.  I think she's still pissed he had COVID-19 and left.  My goodness imagine someone being mad at you b/c you did the right thing to quarantine yourself to not get the other person sick?  She seems to have a lot of issues.  She strikes me as the person who always has a lot of drama surrounding her.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

I agree.  The way she's reacting to this tells me all you need to know.  I think she's still pissed he had COVID-19 and left.  My goodness imagine someone being mad at you b/c you did the right thing to quarantine yourself to not get the other person sick?  She seems to have a lot of issues.  She strikes me as the person who always has a lot of drama surrounding her.

Her sisters did call her Hurricane Michaela and it seems like they weren't lying.

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Bantering is sexy to me - it’s a sign of intelligence when someone has a quick wit and intelligence is hot to me (and a lack of intelligence and curiosity is a huge turn-off). Also “playing the dozens” is a cultural thing, so it’s fun when that is shared. I like that Gil and Myrla banter but it’s clearly not turning them on. Maybe they’ll end up friends, at best.

Yes, bantering is sexy--that is, until someone strikes a nerve.  Some people can take it too far, and in this case I think it's Gil.  I don't even like Myrla but I'm getting tired of him referring to her as "princess."  I have a feeling that if I knew him he would get on my nerves pretty quickly. 

Plus, I'm not a fan of bald heads, just to be bald.  It's one thing if a man is losing his hair (he can't help that) and that's fine, just have a nice haircut.  

46 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Her sisters did call her Hurricane Michaela and it seems like they weren't lying.

I remember the looks on her sisters' faces, like "Zach, you're in trouble!"

• Love 5

Yeesh, can everyone quit with the Myrla shopping judgment? You don’t need to like her, or marry her, but unless she’s spending YOUR money, it is not any of your damn business how many pairs of shoes she buys or what said shoes cost. Gil is not a better person than Myrla because he is cheap/frugal. She is not a bad person because she doesn’t want a dog. She shouldn’t have been paired with someone who has a dog since she doesn’t like dogs.

For the record, I don’t like Myrla, but I don’t really like any of these people. There are enough reasons without judging their shopping habits.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

She seems to have a lot of issues.  She strikes me as the person who always has a lot of drama surrounding her.

It surprises me that a woman of her age and professional standing wouldn't have sought out professional mental health counselling instead of going on a TV reality show and basically either "melting down" or "acting out" to her own  (and Zach's) detriment. 

• Love 5
On 9/2/2021 at 6:54 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

Zack was 100% in the wrong. EOS.

Michaela's reaction was 100% wrong, inappropriate, problematic, stupid, crazy, immature, and unproductive. She takes the psycho cake. EOS. 😂😂

Edited by Lindz
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

It surprises me that a woman of her age and professional standing wouldn't have sought out professional mental health counselling instead of going on a TV reality show and basically either "melting down" or "acting out" to her own  (and Zach's) detriment. 

Also, her use of such foul language just made me cringe.  I cuss like a sailor sometimes when I'm upset, but I would never do that around people I don't know very well, and certainly not on television.   She embarrassed herself.

• Love 10
On 9/2/2021 at 6:03 PM, Boo Boo said:

Bao, you can do better.  I mean fuck, I can't even imagine telling someone that their giddyiness was a turn-off.  Seriously fuck that guy.  

I didn't think she was  acting all that giddy or over the top. Just happy and fun loving. Oh, I guess happy doesn't work for Johnny. Does he want some sourpuss that finds fault with everything? Johnny, meet Mryla. 

I did notice that Bao's hair was greasy the entire episode. Wash your hair, girl!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, rlc said:

Yeesh, can everyone quit with the Myrla shopping judgment? You don’t need to like her, or marry her, but unless she’s spending YOUR money, it is not any of your damn business how many pairs of shoes she buys or what said shoes cost. Gil is not a better person than Myrla because he is cheap/frugal. She is not a bad person because she doesn’t want a dog. She shouldn’t have been paired with someone who has a dog since she doesn’t like dogs.

For the record, I don’t like Myrla, but I don’t really like any of these people. There are enough reasons without judging their shopping habits.

If I was set up with a guy who lived in what looked like a shoebox and not a nice one, but had a closet full of pairs of $900+ shoes, designer clothing,  and extravagant spending habits, I'd be questioning his priorities and how much of an impulsive shopper he is and whether our lifestyles would match.   

I'm questioning whether she can really afford her luxuries based on the place she lives.  It's a lot easier to get a credit card and max than it is to qualify for a rent/mortgage for a nice place. 

Maybe she's frugal on other things.  

Gil's place doesn't look like much either, but maybe he's saving his money for a better one.

Gil should shut it tho when it comes to "princess" and "diva" comments.  I'm sure those supposedly playful jabs (I don't think they are playful) are him feeling bad that he is a FF who likely isn't going to have the earning potential I suppose that she does.  He's always going to be more frugal about how he spends his money.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 3

Also, her use of such foul language just made me cringe.  I cuss like a sailor sometimes when I'm upset, but I would never do that around people I don't know very well, and certainly not on television.   She embarrassed herself.

Isn't she a real estate agent? I was thinking that for someone working in an industry that relies on word-of-mouth and personality, she wasn't setting herself up well, acting like that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, rlc said:

Absolutely! Myrla's whining is fair game, but the way she chooses to use money that she's earned honestly shouldn't be. I'm a big fan of flirtatious banter, but Gil seems to be hiding his judgmental attitude behind "jokes." I didn't like him shittalking Myrla behind her back to the other couples, either. Perhaps Myrla is hyper-aware of the cameras and feels self-conscious about kissing and sex with an audience. For sure, she shouldn't have signed up for this show then, but I get the feeling that actually being on a reality tv show is more intense than in theory.  I will, however, be grateful to Gil for renaming macarons as "booji cookies."

Jose's Financial Whiteboard of Mystery is fine, but I can't believe he didn't think that his wife would have her own ideas about her own money. What if Rachel was just like him? Would he have been willing to adapt to her long term financial goals?

I'm hoping that Michaela was a victim of editing. I can't wrap my head around her logic; my husband is missing this morning, so I'm going to pack up and leave? Zach is right that this is a red flag because her response seemed scarily disproportionate.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I didn't think she was  acting all that giddy or over the top. Just happy and fun loving. Oh, I guess happy doesn't work for Johnny. Does he want some sourpuss that finds fault with everything? Johnny, meet Mryla.

She was critical, like Myrla. Guess they haven't learned not to do that. & she's a mood killer when she brings up her issues. Stupid Johnny couldn't articulate that & called them "arguments." They're all messes!!!! 😅😂

• LOL 1
7 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

I'm hoping that Michaela was a victim of editing. I can't wrap my head around her logic; my husband is missing this morning, so I'm going to pack up and leave? Zach is right that this is a red flag because her response seemed scarily disproportionate.

Her dumb azz said since he chose to act independently, by leaving & not telling her, she chose to do the same... in an absurd way... cuz that sure showed him... she's NUTS!!!! 😂😂  Michaela is a victim of Michaela or her sick mind. Smh

Edited by Lindz
  • Love 5
On 9/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, Yeah No said:

I've been looking at José's whiteboard again and I noticed those two little subtractions in the middle/bottom - It looks like he's factoring in more or less $3,000 a month for net income - now given that he's got several deductions going on I'd say the most he could possibly gross is about $60,000 per year, which isn't really that great.  And I doubt he is netting $3K per week either.  The mystery amount he subtracts from that is $1,600 - could that be his mortgage?  Because he then takes the $1,400 that's left and subtracts the $800 in expenses from it, then puts the $600 a month in savings.  Now even if you add up all those monthly expenses in the left top column, they only add up to roughly $600, so where does the $800 come in?  Plus he has zero factored in for misc. expenses, groceries, eating out, etc.  Like others have said the more you look at this the less it makes sense, LOL.

Is the header "Monthly Expenses" a misnomer?  Because he's got $81K in monthly expenses? Or is he saying that's what's currently in all accounts.  

Edited by Boo Boo

Jose's Financial Whiteboard of Mystery is fine, but I can't believe he didn't think that his wife would have her own ideas about her own money. What if Rachel was just like him? Would he have been willing to adapt to her long term financial goals?

I think that he asked for someone who would have a similar financial philosophy as his and I suppose he never actually watched the show before and thought that would happen. I'm still very curious about his houses and whether he owns them outright. If he does, that is really impressive and I'd be curious to know how he accomplished that. For most people, myself included, housing (either a mortgage or rent) is the single largest monthly expenditure in the budget. Having that paid off would offer some real financial security.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 11:04 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

I don’t know what the deer situation is in Texas or elsewhere, but herds need to be culled in order to prevent a large group of them from dying of starvation, from what I understand.

Also from ending up dead all over the highways!  I wouldn't want a deer head in my bedroom either; I'm glad he's fine with it in the garage.  Both Brett and Ryan are growing on me; I'm surprised to find that I like them the best at this point!  (as a couple)

On 9/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, DrewPaul2010 said:

I assume she requested her husband be a black man I don't think they would select a person of a different color unless specifically asked for. That could lead to a horrible scene at the alter. Even if they check race open they would probably narrow that down even further. If people are all the same then why specially choose someone of a particular race? If they're not all the same what is about any race that makes a person prefer that?

I don't remember Myrla specifying a race.  She definitely specified no bald men though! 😄. I personally don't have a problem with Myrla spending her money how she wants - but I can see where that closet might give a prospective mate pause!  And the wall photos?  My friend and I have traveled together since we were single in the 90s - now we do it with our mates - and we have lots of photos in our homes from traveling.  None of them look like that though 😄. We judge her for that!!

On 9/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, Elizzikra said:

They could both compromise - sometimes Bao could take the extra shower even though she doesn't really want to and sometimes Johnny could let the extra shower slide and just deal with it.

Yeah it's enough to make you think production is making a mountain out of a molehill, except that they "communicate" so much that you just know it's not.  And then Johnny's big confession to Cal!  😳. I don't even think she's that "childish" - I would call it more lighthearted when she's saying "Bubbles, bubbles" (definitely not the baby talk of Brianna or Deonna!) and I assume she giggles while kissing because of camera nervousness.  She is kind of buzzkill but at least she does it to your face; Johnny sneaks it out there.  And yes - I wouldn't call the majority of their honeymoon "arguing" so I'm not sure what he's on about.  I'm glad she just let him leave and played that cool.

8 hours ago, pdlinda said:

If she embraces being "hurricane Michaela" then she probably doesn't think it's a problem.  To me the red flags are her huge tantrum in Mexico when he had Covid, and her slamming those clorox wipes on the table followed by moving out.  If she doesn't understand that someone being quarantined is nobody's fault, or that a person who's been single for a long time might need a reminder about being thoughtful before leaving the house - that indicates a problem (childishness!) to me.

I'm enjoying everyone's theories about Jose's white board - my own is that production had him put it up as "storyline".  Those of you who look closely - see if he changes it weekly to mess with us 😄. I remember during initial interviews that Rachel said she would dump a guy who didn't want to go out when she did, and Jose said ditto about spendthrift women.  Way to go "experts"

Edited by princelina
To put scare quotes around "experts"
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I did notice that Bao's hair was greasy the entire episode. Wash your hair, girl!

I recall on their wedding day, we were introduced to Bao as she received a gift from her intended (Johnny) of sports gear from his favorite teams (I think opposing teams??).  Anyhow, Bao was AGHAST at the thought that she was paired with some "jock" with presumably limited intellect and superficial tastes.  She literally expressed scorn for her soon-to-be husband based on her believing she was so superior to him on so many levels! 

I specifically recall Bao stating (paraphrase): "I work with the most brilliant scientists and my work puts me in touch with Nobel Prize winners working on projects that can change medical outcomes for people all over the world....and they pair me with this man who's so superficial and mediocre to present me with this idiotic sports gear.  How embarrassing!!"  

Now we've seen Ms. Bao (or Mrs. Johnny) in follow-up episodes of the show.  She has shown herself to be an emotional wreck (he's no bargain either, but let's stick to Bao) who has issues with personal hygiene, sleep habits and other questionable behaviors.  THIS IS ON NATIONAL TV THAT WILL LAST ON THE INTERNET IN PERPETUITY!!

I'm trying to wrap my brain around Bao returning to her elevated, erudite work environment immersed in the highest intellectual endeavors while having her entire team of co-workers, patients and other staff being confronted by such PERSONAL info about her!!  WHY would Bao subject herself to such scrutiny when it's obvious how much her status and professional reputation mean to her?  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, rlc said:

I think the problem is the way Myrla presents herself. She’s very pretentious and makes a point of mentioning the brand names, shopping, etc.  That is what’s annoying. I know plenty of people who spend a shit ton of money on hand bags, makeup, self-care, etc, but they don’t talk about it. And, they have the money to support it, unquestionably. Myrla feels the need to talks about it and display it (empty Vueve bottles, really), and it is questionable she can afford it. It’s not attractive, AT. ALL.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’ll bet the show told her to play the part for awhile.  At 35 yrs old she didn’t kiss him yet?  That’s bullshit.  I don’t think a guy would have that much patience and laugh about it.  I don’t know about Gil.  At his age and being a hunk, he hasn’t found anyone yet and has to go on a show?  Then again, there wouldn’t be a show if everyone got along.  Either way, it’s still my favorite.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

Is the header "Monthly Expenses" a misnomer?  Because he's got $81K in monthly expenses? Or is he saying that's what's currently in all accounts.  

I think the "Monthly Expenses" header should be over the left column that's circled.  The stuff on the right totaling 81K is what he's currently got saved in various accounts.

10 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I'm still very curious about his houses and whether he owns them outright. If he does, that is really impressive and I'd be curious to know how he accomplished that. For most people, myself included, housing (either a mortgage or rent) is the single largest monthly expenditure in the budget. Having that paid off would offer some real financial security.

He doesn't specify any mortgage payments on his whiteboard but in the calculations at the bottom I'm noticing a mysterious $1,600 subtracted from what looks like a monthly net income amount of about $3,000, then the balance leftover ($600) is shown as savings.  So I'm figuring that $1,600 has to be mortgage payment(s).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Am I the only one here that thinks it's perfectly acceptable for the husband/wives not to kiss, hold hands, or do anything intimate with their spouse?  Choosing to be on this show doesn't mean you should forced to be intimate -- even if that means a kiss.  If a woman goes on a blind date, she's not required to do anything even remotely sexual.   The same applies here.  These people -- with the exception of Bao and Johnny -- are strangers.  They can kiss, slurp, fuck, whenever they are ready for it.  

2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think the "Monthly Expenses" header should be over the left column that's circled.  The stuff on the right totaling 81K is what he's currently got saved in various accounts.

He doesn't specify any mortgage payments on his whiteboard but in the calculations at the bottom I'm noticing a mysterious $1,600 subtracted from what looks like a monthly net income amount of about $3,000, then the balance leftover ($600) is shown as savings.  So I'm figuring that $1,600 has to be mortgage payment(s).

What's funny to me is I don't find 81K all that impressive at his age, especially when he is talking like he's moneybags.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

I think the problem is the way Myrla presents herself. She’s very pretentious and makes a point of mentioning the brand names, shopping, etc.  That is what’s annoying. I know plenty of people who spend a shit ton of money on hand bags, makeup, self-care, etc, but they don’t talk about it. And, they have the money to support it, unquestionably. Myrla feels the need to talks about it and display it (empty Vueve bottles, really), and it is questionable she can afford it. It’s not attractive, AT. ALL.

Myrla acts very "nouveau riche".  Coming from nothing I have sympathy for her but I agree it's annoying and actually makes her look lower class.  If she got rid of that she'd look much better.

9 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

What's funny to me is I don't find 81K all that impressive at his age, especially when he is talking like he's moneybags.

If he also owns property that amount is higher, plus I'm assuming his earnings power and savings will increase with age.  I didn't have all that much at his age.  Give it 30 years and a lot can happen, especially if he's that focused on savings.  Plus he too probably didn't come from much money and for him this is a lot.  Also, he lives in Texas, not the Northeast or California where the cost of living is higher.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Myrla acts very "nouveau riche".  Coming from nothing I have sympathy for her but I agree it's annoying and actually makes her look lower class.  If she got rid of that she'd look much better.

If he also owns property that amount is higher, plus I'm assuming his earnings power and savings will increase with age.  I didn't have all that much at his age.  Give it 30 years and a lot can happen, especially if he's that focused on savings.  Plus he too probably didn't come from much money and for him this is a lot.

Good points.  I'm thinking back to when I was working my way up in my industry and I had the max taken out of my paltry salary for my 401k and when I was 30 and I had a better 401k total than him.  Now, I only owned one property, so maybe he doesn't put the max in in his 401k in order to pay for the second property?

I don't know I just was a little surprised given what my salary was back then and what my 401k amassed to when I was 30.    The way he talks about his financial sitch, I had expected a lot more.

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

She definitely does.

I think part of the reason I'm judging her for how she spends is that her place looks not great and it makes me suspect that she does that well in life.  If her place was glamorous looking, I'd assume she can afford her closet of shoes.  Since it doesn't, it makes me think her priorities are to *look* like she's making a huge salary.  Like some of the people i grew up with that drive around in fancy cars, have fancy watches, designer clothing, but live in their parent's basement.

it's one thing when you're very wealthy to buy expensive shoes, but it seems odd to me to have a closet full of these shoes and designer clothing when the place you live in -- esp in Texas where you can buy homes cheaply -- looks like a shoebox.

A lot easier to get a credit card and max it out to buy your designer shit than getting a mortgage for a nice place.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

Money talks, but wealth whispers. I keep thinking about that with Myrla. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Boo Boo said:

If I was set up with a guy who lived in what looked like a shoebox and not a nice one, but had a closet full of pairs of $900+ shoes, designer clothing,  and extravagant spending habits, I'd be questioning his priorities and how much of an impulsive shopper he is and whether our lifestyles would match.   

I'm questioning whether she can really afford her luxuries based on the place she lives.  It's a lot easier to get a credit card and max than it is to qualify for a rent/mortgage for a nice place. 

Maybe she's frugal on other things.  

Gil's place doesn't look like much either, but maybe he's saving his money for a better one.

Gil should shut it tho when it comes to "princess" and "diva" comments.  I'm sure those supposedly playful jabs (I don't think they are playful) are him feeling bad that he is a FF who likely isn't going to have the earning potential I suppose that she does.  He's always going to be more frugal about how he spends his money.

I don't know, I might take seeing a guy with a lot of expensive things as evidence that he has money, which is not a bad thing.  How he chooses to spend his single income is not necessarily how he's going to spend it once married with a family.  My husband owned expensive things before marriage too but didn't continue to buy most of those things after marriage.  Of course we discussed these things.  Myrla acts like she's digging her heels in about her spending but I think it's a defensive reaction to the judgmental way Gil is approaching her.  I kind of doubt that she would forego spending money fixing up her house with her husband or saving money to start a family for more Louboutins in a marriage.

Also, people ragged on Haley last season but she didn't judge Jake for all the money he spent on frivolous '80s collectibles and expensive techno. equipment.  She thought it was a little OTT but not based on the financial aspect, just that it was not her thing.  Imagine how people would have flayed her if she acted like Gil acts toward Myrla about her spending.

8 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

She definitely does.

I think part of the reason I'm judging her for how she spends is that her place looks not great and it makes me suspect that she does that well in life.  If her place was glamorous looking, I'd assume she can afford her closet of shoes.  Since it doesn't, it makes me think her priorities are to *look* like she's making a huge salary.  Like some of the people i grew up with that drive around in fancy cars, have fancy watches, designer clothing, but live in their parent's basement.

it's one thing when you're very wealthy to buy expensive shoes, but it seems odd to me to have a closet full of these shoes and designer clothing when the place you live in -- esp in Texas where you can buy homes cheaply -- looks like a shoebox.

A lot easier to get a credit card and max it out to buy your designer shit than getting a mortgage for a nice place.

It could be a priorities thing.  Or because her life is so focused outside her residence she doesn't make that her priority.  Which doesn't mean her home and other things wouldn't become the priority when married.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I don't know, I might take seeing a guy with a lot of expensive things as evidence that he has money, which is not a bad thing.  How he chooses to spend his single income is not necessarily how he's going to spend it once married with a family.  My husband owned expensive things before marriage too but didn't continue to buy most of those things after marriage.  Of course we discussed these things.  Myrla acts like she's digging her heels in about her spending but I think it's a defensive reaction to the judgmental way Gil is approaching her.  I kind of doubt that she would forego spending money fixing up her house with her husband or saving money to start a family for more Louboutins in a marriage.

Also, people ragged on Haley last season but she didn't judge Jake for all the money he spent on frivolous '80s collectibles and expensive techno. equipment.  She thought it was a little OTT but not based on the financial aspect, just that it was not her thing.  Imagine how people would have flayed her if she acted like Gil acts toward Myrla about her spending.

It could be a priorities thing.  Or because her life is so focused outside her residence she doesn't make that her priority.  Which doesn't mean her home and other things wouldn't become the priority when married.  

She def judged his 80s obsession, but you're right -- it was just thought of as weird, not in terms of the money that he spent.  It could be that he also owns a home and one pair of CL's would buy a lot of the the kitschy 80s stuff.

I don't know.  I'm biased. I'm not one to spend my money on $1000K shoes just to impress someone into thinking I must earn a lot.  I suspect if there was a $1000K pair of shoes that had no designer identification to it and no one would be able to detect they are expensive shoes, she wouldn't buy it.  The reason for the spend is everyone sees the red sole and knows they were expensive.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

She def judged his 80s obsession, but you're right -- it was just thought of as weird, not in terms of the money that he spent.  It could be that he also owns a home and one pair of CL's would buy a lot of the the kitschy 80s stuff.

I don't know.  I'm biased. I'm not one to spend my money on $1000K shoes just to impress someone into thinking I must earn a lot.  I suspect if there was a $1000K pair of shoes that had no designer identification to it and no one would be able to detect they are expensive shoes, she wouldn't buy it.  The reason for the spend is everyone sees the red sole and knows they were expensive.

I think I'm also basing my opinion on where the judgment is coming from given that she likely makes more money than Gil so I see his judgment of her as a little harsh.  Forget José, I'd like to see her budget spreadsheet, LOL!

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

I think I'm also basing my opinion on where the judgment is coming from given that she likely makes more money than Gil so I see his judgment of her as a little harsh.  Forget José, I'd like to see her budget spreadsheet, LOL!

Oh yeah, he's definitely being a prick about it.  He's putting her down for it b/c he can't afford it.  

That said, typically firefighters get excellent benefits, so there's a lot to be said about that!  

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Boo Boo said:

Oh yeah, he's definitely being a prick about it.  He's putting her down for it b/c he can't afford it.  

That said, typically firefighters get excellent benefits, so there's a lot to be said about that!  

Perhaps, but Indeed rates a Houston firefighter's pay and benefits at a 2.8 out of 5 and there are many posts bitching about how low they are on the site.  One said it's probably one of the lowest in the country!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

This! It’s not the fact that she buys expensive items. It’s the way she speaks about it. That’s the obnoxious part. I don’t care how she spends her money. Who knows? She may have substantial savings, or she may be someone who wants to wait to purchase a home with a partner. The bottom line for me is her overall shitty attitude and this act that she puts on that she’s Miss Fancypants so that we (she) can forget she came from extremely humble beginnings. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Perhaps, but Indeed rates a Houston firefighter's pay and benefits at a 2.8 out of 5 and there are many posts bitching about how low they are on the site.  One said it's probably one of the lowest in the country!

Ah, that sucks!  In my state, FFs and LE tend to get really good benefits that make up for their salary not being incredibly high.  It's an incentive to recruit and to keep them.  

• Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, Empress1 said:

Except Gil's "banter" comprises solely (what he thinks are funny) digs at Myrla, who knows a criticism when she hears one. Not a turn-on. (And she will never kiss a man she just saw kiss a dog. Nope. Gil will get his opportunity to divorce her, for sure---if Myrla doesn't go first!)

"Money talks, but wealth whispers"?! Will that be the title of the next episode of "Billionaires in Spaaaaace"?

Myrla "makes a point of mentioning the brand names" when? I don't recall her mentioning any brand name to any of the other couples. Who brings up the brands and labels and costs? GIL, that's who. 

Myrla "wants to *look* like she's making a huge salary" while living in an apartment  that doesn't match. She lives to suit herself, and dresses to face the world---a world that has many more admirers of "The Rich and Famous" than will admit to being among the admirers, I'd bet. 

But of all the arguments raised, I haven't read "Charity." Caritas. The Beatitudes. The Widow's Mite. Where does Myrla stand? Her stock might rise if she said, "Yes, but for every Louboutin I buy, I donate that amount to [insert your favorite charity here]." 

I think, as I write, that that might be at the heart of Gil's concern, for he has made a career of helping others. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Except Gil's "banter" comprises solely (what he thinks are funny) digs at Myrla, who knows a criticism when she hears one. Not a turn-on. (And she will never kiss a man she just saw kiss a dog. Nope. Gil will get his opportunity to divorce her, for sure---if Myrla doesn't go first!)

"Money talks, but wealth whispers"?! Will that be the title of the next episode of "Billionaires in Spaaaaace"?

Myrla "makes a point of mentioning the brand names" when? I don't recall her mentioning any brand name to any of the other couples. Who brings up the brands and labels and costs? GIL, that's who. 

Myrla "wants to *look* like she's making a huge salary" while living in an apartment  that doesn't match. She lives to suit herself, and dresses to face the world---a world that has many more admirers of "The Rich and Famous" than will admit to being among the admirers, I'd bet. 

But of all the arguments raised, I haven't read "Charity." Caritas. The Beatitudes. The Widow's Mite. Where does Myrla stand? Her stock might rise if she said, "Yes, but for every Louboutin I buy, I donate that amount to [insert your favorite charity here]." 

I think, as I write, that that might be at the heart of Gil's concern, for he has made a career of helping others. 

She's in education  I would argue she's made a career out of helping others too.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm convinced Michaela will end up alone because of her antics (or in a toxic relationship). Not only the leaving, but the cursing, the squinting, & moving away. I mean COME ON!! All that BS screams, "LEAVE ME ALONE!!" No one wants to or should have to deal with that BS & now I feel bad for Zack being legally bound to that insanity. He shouldn't have excused it by saying it doesn't change how he feels about her. He should've been honest & set a very clear boundary that he won't tolerate that in their marriage. He should've shut that all the way down. It could've benefitted so many people. But eh. More of that craziness to come. 😬

• Love 6
4 hours ago, zenme said:

This! It’s not the fact that she buys expensive items. It’s the way she speaks about it. That’s the obnoxious part. I don’t care how she spends her money. Who knows? She may have substantial savings, or she may be someone who wants to wait to purchase a home with a partner. The bottom line for me is her overall shitty attitude and this act that she puts on that she’s Miss Fancypants so that we (she) can forget she came from extremely humble beginnings. 

I have a coworker who loves Chanel and buys some very expensive Chanel bags. She brings in this bag every day and I had no idea, until I had lunch with her, that this bag was $2,200 and she said it was a steal. It kind of looked like the one below but it was different.

Chanel makes some beautiful bags but this was really not my style. However, she does not talk about it every 5 minutes and I had no idea how expensive her bag was until she in a  matter-of-fact manner brought it up.

She probably does really love Chanel for both their bags and the clout the label brings with any purchase.

I do think women probably get judged more for spending and our purchases are seen as more "frivolous" than say a man, who blows money on electronics which will be obsolete in a couple of years. There is a famous meme of a yuppie from the 80's bragging about spending $1,000 on a cd player.

However, I feel for both Myrla and Gil because they were obviously set up to fail and that is on the show.

I like Gil but find him corny, like a previous poster. He is very handsome but not my type at all. I keep on remembering him spinning around the stripper pole and splitting the crotch of his pants.

When I saw the bottles of Veuve, I thought, " How nice, she is going to toast their marriage with a glass of good champagne." Then, I realized the bottles were empty.

Does anyone beyond a college student save their empty bottles of alcohol to display?

I also, for the record, do not think she needs to kiss him if she does not want to do it. I find kissing very intimate and I do not know if she is feeling him.

She was very dressed up for her Unfiltered appearance and her hair was done with a bunch of blonde highlights (I think). The fact that she is not trying to look her best for Gil probably means she likes him but does not know how she feels about him romantically.

Again, they both might realize their marriage is the sham marriage of the season and both have agreed to ride it out with a relatively good attitude.

image.png.af794c4df677f87e111aa23023919e71.png

• Love 2
23 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I think she was way more than giddy, she was acting like a child. I agree with Johnny that it is unattractive. Ironically, she probably does it because she think it's cute and attractive. I wouldn't go as far as Johnny and call it disgusting, but I would call it annoying. I've known other women that do this with men they find attractive (it's only with the ones they find attractive) and it just make me roll my eyes.

That being said, I felt so embarrassed for Bao when she had to sit and hear this from Johnny. And in front of Pastor Cal!

23 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Now you're sounding like Johnny. Don't you get it?! Bao is tired🤣

4 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

This is true. It's Gil, Jamie Otis, and Pastor Cal constantly bringing it up.

3 hours ago, Lindz said:

I'm convinced Michaela will end up alone because of her antics (or in a toxic relationship). Not only the leaving, but the cursing, the squinting, & moving away. I mean COME ON!! All that BS screams, "LEAVE ME ALONE!!" No one wants to or should have to deal with that BS & now I feel bad for Zack being legally bound to that insanity. He shouldn't have excused it by saying it doesn't change how he feels about her. He should've been honest & set a very clear boundary that he won't tolerate that in their marriage. He should've shut that all the way down. It could've benefitted so many people. But eh. More of that craziness to come. 😬

Remember in the episodes leading up to the wedding, Zack cried so many times. I'm positive he wanted to cry during this meeting. I think Pastor Cal thought so too and kept trying to bring him out of it.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I do think women probably get judged more for spending and our purchases are seen as more "frivolous" than say a man, who blows money on electronics which will be obsolete in a couple of years. There is a famous meme of a yuppie from the 80's bragging about spending $1,000 on a cd player.

My teenage son spends hundreds on his car and I judge him every day for it. And yes, I tell him it will be obsolete in a few years. 😆

image.png.af794c4df677f87e111aa23023919e71.png

She's gonna get her money's worth because it matches every outfit.

Edited by Blissfool
  • LOL 3
10 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

My teenage son spends hundreds on his car and I judge him every day for it. And yes, I tell him it will be obsolete in a few years. 😆

It screams Dorit Hemsley.

11 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

It screams Dorit Helmsley.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, Empress1 said:

So when I don’t wash my hair (Black woman, natural curly hair so washing it daily is a no-no. My hair is mid-back-length) my showers are 5 minutes. Just the washing. However, I spend at least that much time applying lotion and  sunscreen on exposed skin, which I do 365 days a year regardless of weather, and then toner, serum, eye cream, and moisturizer on my face and neck. My face skin is oily; my body skin is dry.

When I have to wash my hair? That takes much longer, and I have totally stretched out washing it because it’s more work than I feel like doing. I generally wash it twice a week but I’ve definitely been tired enough to be like “you know what, wash day can be tomorrow, I can go one more day with this bun.” 

I used to be bald but now have hair and a beard post covid. It sometimes takes me 30 min just to pick out and wash my hair. I used to wash my hair every day, but now only once a week. But I am on team Johnny with the bathing.  If you work out, you better take a shower.  Someone said that Asians dont stank, but I dont know about that.  But he is being a little bitchy about the other things. 

On 9/2/2021 at 7:03 PM, Racj82 said:

I've said before about this topic, I'm not talking about people who sweat in their sleep or engage in adult activities. I'm talking about people who just sleep and wake up. There is no funk on me I need a whole shower to wash off. Coming home from work? Yes I do.

One thing about this show is true. It shows you that you may have more dealbreakers than you think. But, it wouldn't have even dawned on me to have to worry about getting a partner who freely skips days of showering and enjoys hopping into bed, dirt be damned.

If you are going on this show, you need to be very bendable in terms of what you can take and what you can't.

I am not buying the "not sweating at night" thing.  There is funk.  There is funk on the bed too. Especially on day 6.  I dont think not showering in the morning is clean- even if I cannot smell you. I am team Johnny on this one, though I think Bao should be allowed to experience her joy.