Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/24/2021

• Start Topic

Hopefully, Monday's meeting is part of ABC making a record as to why they will not renew MeAgain's contract next season.  Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part but I can't help but feel all of the negativity, crazy comments (particularly with regard to Dr. Fauchi and dangerous misinformation about the pandemic) and angry outbursts are giving the PTB cause for concern. It appears a lot of viewers are contacting ABC and they are taking notice. I was one who took the time to e-mail them after Monday's fiasco and apparently many others also felt the need to voice their objections about the negative direction the show has taken. If I were Brian Teta, I'd be nervous.  He has largely contributed to turning the show into The McCain Hour and it's no longer working. 

• Love 23
17 minutes ago, Badbea99 said:

He has largely contributed to turning the show into The McCain Hour and it's no longer working. 

This is true.  From what I have seen of  him he doesn't seem like he has any control of the show at all.  What is it with the male executive producers of the show and babying the blond conservative co hosts?  Bill Geddie did it with Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Badbea99 said:

He has largely contributed to turning the show into The McCain Hour and it's no longer working. 

I guess it depends on how one defines "no longer working".  Just look at the press The View is getting thanks to MM's antics.  Publicity like that cannot be bought.  I would hazard to say it's working all too well.  The View still has excellent ratings.

I agree that the show is barely watchable.  I still record every episode but I wind up deleting all 5 on Saturday (along with Live w Kelly & Ryan).  If I want to watch 4 ill-informed women talk about current events I'll have tea with my mom and my aunties.  I listen to the NPR political podcast everyday.  It's about 20 minutes, the journalists are so smart and informed, they add so much to every story.  ABC doesn't want a well-balanced discussion of current events, they want a ratings monster that will sell a lot of View Your Deals.  They succeed.

• Love 7
(edited)

There will be no movement in Congress until frickin’ Joe Manchin agrees to eliminate the filibuster. And even then there is too much money thrown at politicians from the gun lobby to change anything.

Shut up, Meg, about not wanting to speak about gun control right after a shooting.

IN has a red flag law but didn’t stop a shooter from killing 8 people here a couple months ago. His mother reported him to the police but it got tied up in the courts and nothing was done. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Badbea99 said:

Hopefully, Monday's meeting is part of ABC making a record as to why they will not renew MeAgain's contract next season.  Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part but I can't help but feel all of the negativity, crazy comments (particularly with regard to Dr. Fauchi and dangerous misinformation about the pandemic) and angry outbursts are giving the PTB cause for concern. It appears a lot of viewers are contacting ABC and they are taking notice. I was one who took the time to e-mail them after Monday's fiasco and apparently many others also felt the need to voice their objections about the negative direction the show has taken. If I were Brian Teta, I'd be nervous.  He has largely contributed to turning the show into The McCain Hour and it's no longer working. 

From your lips to God's ears. I hope the ratings keep falling as quickly as they have these past two months. That's clearly the only thing they will listen to.

• Love 15
Just now, Axie said:

Call 1-800-GitAGun for Meghan McCain's advice on which gun is right for you.

And WTF was that even. Is it just me or is she becoming even more (I know it’s hard to believe) nonsensical? 

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Sharper2002 said:

And WTF was that even. Is it just me or is she becoming even more (I know it’s hard to believe) nonsensical? 

No matter what the subject, first and foremost, it’s about Megun.  She’s such a horrible person.  Can’t imagine her advice on any subject would be worth listening to by anybody.  

• Love 18

So Meghan starts out saying that she never likes to "proselytize " about guns after a mass  shooting.  And then she talks about gun owner's rights, the second amendment,  and people buying guns because they're scared.

Does she hear herself?

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

This is giving me flashbacks to 2013 when Elisabeth Hasselbeck was fired and ABC not wanting to look like they were picking on a conservative also let Joy go.

WOW! I don't remember this happening at all. Joy was let go because they wanted a younger host on the panel to attract a younger audience and talk about 'fluff topics' like they were doing on 'The Talk'. That's when they brought in Jenny McCarthy for their disastrous season.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

That was an awkward interview with Dennis Quade. It seemed like no one really cared about anything he had to say. 

I don't think anybody does care what Dennis Quaid has to say about anything.. I know I don't. Thanks for mentioning that he is on the show because that was all I needed to hear to decide to skip this mess today.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Meghan must be in hog heaven.  First, Senator Gillibrand praises her father and then Dennis Quaid discusses Ronald Reagan with her.  Seems like every time I see Dennis Quaid on anything he's just gotten married.

• LOL 18
  • Love 5

So Gillibrand had to give praise to HER FATHER......... groan.

And, was it just me, or did she not understand/not answer the question about her stand on Matt Gaetz versus Al Franken's censure?   

Why doesn't anyone ever just say the Second Amendment does not say anything about being able to own assault rifles when Megzy starts her rant about her constitutional rights?

• Love 24
(edited)
30 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

WOW! I don't remember this happening at all. Joy was let go because they wanted a younger host on the panel to attract a younger audience and talk about 'fluff topics' like they were doing on 'The Talk'. That's when they brought in Jenny McCarthy for their disastrous season.

I don't know if ABC confirmed it but there were a lot of articles about it. I read the View book but I don't remember if the author referenced it or not.

Surely I am not the only person who remembers things this way.

ETA: I found this.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/view-joy-behar-elisabeth-hasselbecks-428129/

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I don't know what is causing Meghan to act the way she is.  All I know is it's uncomfortable to watch and it is ruining the show. 

This is giving me flashbacks to 2013 when Elisabeth Hasselbeck was fired and ABC not wanting to look like they were picking on a conservative also let Joy go.

That's how I remember it.

• Love 8

I cringed when I saw MM today knowing that what happened in San Jose would be discussed. I knew she would go all Second Amendment and then try to go off topic, like she always does. Would it have been too much for ABC to sit her out this time and bring Ana in? 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

That was an awkward interview with Dennis Quade. It seemed like no one really cared about anything he had to say. 

On my screen his smile made him look like the Joker.  Fillers gone wrong?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I guess it depends on how one defines "no longer working".  Just look at the press The View is getting thanks to MM's antics.  Publicity like that cannot be bought.  I would hazard to say it's working all too well.  The View still has excellent ratings.

I agree that the show is barely watchable.  I still record every episode but I wind up deleting all 5 on Saturday (along with Live w Kelly & Ryan).  If I want to watch 4 ill-informed women talk about current events I'll have tea with my mom and my aunties.  I listen to the NPR political podcast everyday.  It's about 20 minutes, the journalists are so smart and informed, they add so much to every story.  ABC doesn't want a well-balanced discussion of current events, they want a ratings monster that will sell a lot of View Your Deals.  They succeed.

I record it too and most times just delete it.  This week Colbert had a cartoon of the/another MM meltdown and Whoopie trying to shut it down using cartoons of her thoughts.  The two cement trucks pouring concrete into her ears was amusing.

• Love 7
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

On my screen his smile made him look like the Joker.  Fillers gone wrong?

I got Joker too. Think he was too close to the camera.  Once he leaned back it wasn't so bad

Edited by ForumLou
Fixed spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Mldyold said:

I record it too and most times just delete it.  This week Colbert had a cartoon of the/another MM meltdown and Whoopie trying to shut it down using cartoons of her thoughts.  The two cement trucks pouring concrete into her ears was amusing.

Now that I would NOT delete!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Axie said:

Seems like every time I see Dennis Quaid on anything he's just gotten married.

To yet another woman in her 20s. Dennis gets older but the wives never do...

Edited by thisgirlhere
typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

There will be no movement in Congress until frickin’ Joe Manchin agrees to eliminate the filibuster. And even then there is too much money thrown at politicians from the gun lobby to change anything.

Shut up, Meg, about not wanting to speak about gun control right after a shooting.

IN has a red flag law but didn’t stop a shooter from killing 8 people here a couple months ago. His mother reported him to the police but it got tied up in the courts and nothing was done. 

Haven't watched yet.  This country never has a time that isn't right after a shooting so when will it be discusses Meg??

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Sharper2002 said:

If she’s such an expert maybe she can leave the view and just do this?  And when do we talk about gun control if not after something like this?  And the people who should be scared are those on the left who aren’t buying as many guns and are always threatened by the far right and the far right terrorist groups.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

So Meghan starts out saying that she never likes to "proselytize " about guns after a mass  shooting.  And then she talks about gun owner's rights, the second amendment,  and people buying guns because they're scared.

Does she hear herself?

So she doesn't actually know what the word "proselytize" means? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I cringed when I saw MM today knowing that what happened in San Jose would be discussed. I knew she would go all Second Amendment and then try to go off topic, like she always does. Would it have been too much for ABC to sit her out this time and bring Ana in? 

Ana tweeted out yesterday that she was on a flight to LA for the weekend.  Probably not available.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Tunia said:

Ana tweeted out yesterday that she was on a flight to LA for the weekend.  Probably not available.

Great for Ana, bummer for us. In that case, too bad they couldn't have gone with just Whoopi, Joy, Sara and Sunny. 

• Love 6

Oh, wait, everyone on the panel talks about how something must be done about gun violence/massacres in the US. Clip of Governor Gavin Newsom saying what pretty much everyone else is thinking.

Co-hosts put forward their thoughts about gun control, etc.

MeAgain once again has a weird word salad:

Um, well on days like today I never discuss or uh you know proselytize my take on the second amendment or guns on days of mass shootings because I think it is totally inappropriate and insensitive to the victims and their families so first and foremost I want to say it is horrific and as a second amendment advocate no one is more, uh, I am just equally I won't say more horrified than anyone else because we are all horrified by it, I am horrified by it, no one thinks this okay, no one wants people with mental illness and as Sara pointed out, there were many many red flags with this man, his ex-wife said he was not mentally stable, um, he had said he wanted to shoot people, I agree that we should have better systems in place I like the idea of doing a PSA if you think someone is mentally unstable please feel like you can call this hotline if you think they are going to enact violence. I will say one thing that I think is okay and totally appropriate. In the past year there has been an absolute spike in people around the country buying guns, we have never seen uh levels like this since the seventies. In my own personal life, because of rising crime rates and rising hate crimes in major cities I have counselled more friends than I can count on where they should go to get training, where they should go to get safety classes and which weapon I specifically think and which gun they can buy, and in which state what is legal and what isn't because so many of my friends, particularly women in my life are feeling very unsafe with the crime happening in this country and with hate crimes happening directed at friends of mine of all all persuasions and all different places so this is something the second amendment exists for a reason, I know you are a gun owner as well Whoopi, and I think there is a way to have a responsible and educated discussion without negating the fact that people are feeling unsafe in our country right now in a way that I just anecdotally and personally have never seen before.

You know what I love about this word salad? MeAgain thought she was being clever. She said it is not appropriate to talk about the second amendment on days like this, and then she went ahead and did so. And she mentioned that Whoopi is a gun owner, thinking she would back her up. But Whoopi had already stated how done she is with this, in the opening. And then she went on to say, twice, "you" want to save the unborn? How about the people that were here yesterday and are now shot. and killed! That was a direct hit on MeAgain. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Mldyold said:

13 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Now that I would NOT delete!

13 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Me neither!! 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Meghan said more guns are being sold because people are scared.  Are more people buying guns or are the same people buying more guns?

Joy and Sunny did not look too happy talking to Dennis Quaid. 

• Love 3

I admit to not ever watching this show all that much. But I have followed this Board for years. The harshness of some of the hosts (Elizabeth H) and ignorance (Jenny M)  just are not what I want to kick back and watch; maybe get some info I didn't know I needed.  But Megan has taken things to a new mean-spirited, entitled, partisan level that is eye-popping.  At this point it is almost scary.  And I blame the network for everything at this point.

It is insulting to women for the powers-that-be to think that we can't follow and enjoy a polite, informed, diverse political discussion.  That they need a low-rent version of The Housewives franchise (wow, a sentence I never thought I would think of, let alone type) to entice viewers.  Sadly, I have to wonder if they are correct.

Part of me wants to blame Whoopi for not reining Megan in; but truly, there isn't much she can do.  I don't understand why the studio cannot cut the mics when any of the ladies go over their allowed time.  Maybe since they are not actually in a studio, this is not possible. But at the end of the day, they are cowards.  The only thing they care about is money; and they think that Megan and conflict bring in viewers, thus, ad dollars.  An organized boycott probably would not work since that would make a martyr of Megan; another jewel in her crown.  But I do think she has a very high opinion of herself and thinks she is untouchable; would love to see her crash and burn if she is "let go" and finds that her presence and personality are not wanted on any other mainstream platform.

• Love 18
25 minutes ago, Kemper said:

It is insulting to women for the powers-that-be to think that we can't follow and enjoy a polite, informed, diverse political discussion.  That they need a low-rent version of The Housewives franchise (wow, a sentence I never thought I would think of, let alone type) to entice viewers.  Sadly, I have to wonder if they are correct.

The View has become part of the dumbing down of America.  I watch for two reasons. This board and habit. I have watched for over 20 years. Minus the missing Joy years.  If there was a better alternative (the Talk sure as fuck isn't it) I would watch that.  ABC knows most viewers will keep tuning in regardless of the onscreen antics of the obnoxious one. Doesn't mean we enjoy it but our enjoyment is irrelevant to TPTB.  I don't even know if they do focus groups anymore. That is what got Star kicked to the curb (well also her using the show to get her wedding a bunch of freebies).  I wouldn't be surprised if ABC now uses social media mentions as their focus groups.  This show could be so much better but as been mentioned several times by posters here as long as they are making money ABC has no incentive to do anything.  

• Love 12
(edited)

@bannana, thank you for that transcript.  Thinking about Meghan wanting some kind of hotline, separate from 911, where people report that someone might be violent.  Doesn't this fly in the face of how Republicans want less government involvement in everyone's lives?  And how is this even possible? There are already fake 911 calls where SWAT teams are dispatched as some sort of prank. Who is going to staff this, who is going to pay for a system where authorities go to someone's house and make a determination of what they might do in the future?  Do we detain people for having violent thoughts? And, sorry, but we already have an epidemic of police shooting people, now we're going to have people reporting others as being potentially dangerous?  

ETA:  MOST importantly,  if a person expresses a violent thought about someone, if it is determined that they MIGHT shoot someone, does she advocate that we violate their 2nd amendment rights and take away their guns?  lock them up?  mandate psychiatric treatment?  isn't that what conservatives would call the "thought police?"

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Meghan said more guns are being sold because people are scared.  Are more people buying guns or are the same people buying more guns?

A good question.

I also want to know if they have reason to be scared or if they are just reacting to being told that they should be scared. Because it seems to me that, as we pass the anniversary of George Floyd's killing and the end of Asian month, Meghan's friends are not the people most in danger.

• Love 11

They had to go and rerun the show that MeMeMe announces that she was taught by MyFather to live a full life. Unlike all of the people on the Left.  I cut my Viewership to half because of that. This will (should) push me to never watch again.  Does she really think this way? Again- SMH!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Boo! No Ana!

Boo! No Ana and a Repeat!  😾😠

5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

The View has become part of the dumbing down of America.  I watch for two reasons. This board and habit. I have watched for over 20 years. Minus the missing Joy years.  If there was a better alternative (the Talk sure as fuck isn't it) I would watch that.  ABC knows most viewers will keep tuning in regardless of the onscreen antics of the obnoxious one. Doesn't mean we enjoy it but our enjoyment is irrelevant to TPTB.  I don't even know if they do focus groups anymore. That is what got Star kicked to the curb (well also her using the show to get her wedding a bunch of freebies).  I wouldn't be surprised if ABC now uses social media mentions as their focus groups.  This show could be so much better but as been mentioned several times by posters here as long as they are making money ABC has no incentive to do anything.  

Sometimes i wonder if BW still watches everyday.  She must be horrified.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Boo! No Ana!

2 minutes ago, ForumLou said:

Boo! No Ana and a Repeat!  😾😠

It's a holiday weekend and it was announced they wouldn't have a live show or a new recorded one, either.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

@bannana, thank you for that transcript.  Thinking about Meghan wanting some kind of hotline, separate from 911, where people report that someone might be violent.  Doesn't this fly in the face of how Republicans want less government involvement in everyone's lives?  And how is this even possible? There are already fake 911 calls where SWAT teams are dispatched as some sort of prank. Who is going to staff this, who is going to pay for a system where authorities go to someone's house and make a determination of what they might do in the future?  Do we detain people for having violent thoughts? And, sorry, but we already have an epidemic of police shooting people, now we're going to have people reporting others as being potentially dangerous?  

ETA:  MOST importantly,  if a person expresses a violent thought about someone, if it is determined that they MIGHT shoot someone, does she advocate that we violate their 2nd amendment rights and take away their guns?  lock them up?  mandate psychiatric treatment?  isn't that what conservatives would call the "thought police?"

All excellent points. MeAgain would be vehemently against this violation of rights and freedoms. She doesn't give anything any though. That's why I like to transcribe her blather, because it's clear she has no idea what she is talking about.

• Love 7
On 5/27/2021 at 11:50 AM, Haleth said:

Quaid is always AWFUL in an interview. 

He hasn't been charming since The Right Stuff and Breaking Away. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

This show could be so much better but as been mentioned several times by posters here as long as they are making money ABC has no incentive to do anything.  

It is better….every Friday when Ana is there. 

• Love 4