Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E04: Thrown for a Loop

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Gabe was not dinged for making oysters 3 ways. Let's note that.

Well, technically, they were not made three ways, they were just garnished three ways. Kumamotos are my favorite so I really wanted them. Badly.

With all the picky eaters commenting this week and last, I've been trying to think what I hate to eat. Not much. I came up with liver last week. Then, this week....chawanmushi! I hate chawanmushi. I think it tastes like its name. 

The first thing I thought of when they presented the Quickfire was similar to what Chris made, because whenever I think of Campbell's soup, I remember the time I had to go to the doctor when I was about 8. I had an issue with my ears (side effect of measles), and I was taken out of school for the appt which was in the early afternoon. My mom made me lunch beforehand. She was not a good cook. She'd been a "career lady" before she got married and never learned. After she passed, my sibs and I were cracking up going through all the newpaper recipes she'd clipped from the late 50s and early 60s (nightmare fuel), but this day she'd made me a grilled cheese sandwich with cup of tomato soup, milk and cookies, all arranged prettily on nice plates. I think she thought I was nervous about the doctor, and while I was generally a nervous kid, this ear thing didn't scare me at all. But I'll always remember that special lunch she made. And I loved that Chris retroactively picked up my memories!

P.S. Did anyone else notice they changed the graphics on the chefs' names and locations? Heh.

Edited by carrps
Ergh, missed a tense.
  • Love 24

I'm with you in the chawanmushi hatred.  I can't stand uncooked eggs, so any dish where they top with a sunny side up egg is out for me.

Avishar had plenty of time to make risotto.  What was he trying with the cheese?  And did he use any fruit other than a dime's worth of diced apple on top?

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I'm with you in the chawanmushi hatred.  I can't stand uncooked eggs, so any dish where they top with a sunny side up egg is out for me.

Avishar had plenty of time to make risotto.  What was he trying with the cheese?  And did he use any fruit other than a dime's worth of diced apple on top?

But chawanmushi isn't uncooked eggs.  Its steamed.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, blixie said:

Oh and while I love Avishar, clearly someone could do risotto in the allotted time because Dawn made it too and they seemed to love it, though the love part was her apple olive oil puree/sauce.

And she was smart enough to just call it risotto and not try to make up a name/twist.

Tom at Kiki's prep table is in the dictionary under "Sniff 'n' Sneer".

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Gabriel's 3 oysters were beautiful in their presentation.

Gabriel and I got off on the wrong foot (I Worked For Tom, No More Pepper), but when I heard icy Kumamoto oysters with those ooh-fruity toppings that you know had proper acid in them, I wanted them. And to see more of his cooking.

Avishar, you can knock off the Ohio branding shtick now. Well, after the first time, really, but definitely stop it.

Happy for Chris! So many times, cheftestants (TM TWOP) talk about cooking or not cooking their own food. He's now settling into it and combining flavors and techniques his way. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, seltzer3 said:

But chawanmushi isn't uncooked eggs.  Its steamed.

My definition of uncooked eggs is anything that is not well done.  I want every part of my eggs cooked all the way through.  Chawanmushi is mushy at best.  And Padma's question to Shota and his admittance that they didn't turn out as expected seemed to indicate that his dish was underdone.

• Love 5

I still love tuna casserole with Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup.  I used to request it for my birthday dinner, I loved it so much.  I made it last week with Amy’s Cream of Mushroom, and it just wasn’t the same.  Give me the cheap, salty, processed stuff for my comfort food.

• LOL 4
  • Love 19

Fellow Oregonians - help me out here...  During the video clips of the drive through the Gorge to Hood River as well as most of the panoramic shots of Mt Hood in the orchard, did the air quality seem hazy?  I'm pretty sure that filming for this particular episode was around or right before the wildfires started ravaging the western Cascades. 

Count me as another who knew Kiki was gone the moment every single judge said they had raw chicken on their plate.

• Useful 2
57 minutes ago, HighQueenEB said:

Fellow Oregonians - help me out here...  During the video clips of the drive through the Gorge to Hood River as well as most of the panoramic shots of Mt Hood in the orchard, did the air quality seem hazy?  I'm pretty sure that filming for this particular episode was around or right before the wildfires started ravaging the western Cascades. 

Count me as another who knew Kiki was gone the moment every single judge said they had raw chicken on their plate.

They filmed in September and October.  And you are right.  I am in PDX (Multnomah County) and I bought extra air purifiers on 9/11 because of the wildfires.  It also lines up with Elberta peach, fall apples, and pear season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

The worst wildfires in Oregon started all over the state on Labor Day.   I thought it looked a little like Oregon fog when they got back to Portland, but it could have been smoke.   (Actually, according to this article, it probably was a bit of wildfire smoke).  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/when-top-chef-portland-filmed-season-18-cast-crew.html/

"I got to Portland Aug. 30. Everybody had to quarantine for 10 days (before) we began filming, anywhere between 15- and 18-hour days, waking up very early in the morning to get COVID-tested. We all had our own individual rooms — compared to previous seasons, where (contestants move into) a big house and sleep in bunk beds. We had the luxury of having privacy and our own floor of the hotel. That we were able to finish production was something to admire."

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, PDXlulu said:

They filmed in September and October.  And you are right.  I am in PDX (Multnomah County) and I bought extra air purifiers on 9/11 because of the wildfires.  It also lines up with Elberta peach, fall apples, and pear season.

I'm in Washington County and I recall the really bad air quality was mid-September, though we didn't have it quite as bad as my family and friends in other areas - several friends, family and co-workers evacuated in Clackamas, Marion, Linn and Lane counties.  

3 minutes ago, Phebemarie said:

The worst wildfires in Oregon started all over the state on Labor Day.   I thought it looked a little like Oregon fog when they got back to Portland, but it could have been smoke.   (Actually, according to this article, it probably was a bit of wildfire smoke).  

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/when-top-chef-portland-filmed-season-18-cast-crew.html/

"I got to Portland Aug. 30. Everybody had to quarantine for 10 days (before) we began filming, anywhere between 15- and 18-hour days, waking up very early in the morning to get COVID-tested. We all had our own individual rooms — compared to previous seasons, where (contestants move into) a big house and sleep in bunk beds. We had the luxury of having privacy and our own floor of the hotel. That we were able to finish production was something to admire."

I couldn't tell if it was Oregon fog or smoke, because it did remind me of Oregon fog but that's usually in the mornings and burns off quickly, but some of the panorama shots were, clearly, later in the afternoon, and made me think that it was lingering smoke in the air, which makes sense if they started filming around the 8th (day after Labor Day) - this episode would have likely been filmed maybe 10-12 days later.  Looking over my FB photos from that week - really bad on the 10th, improving but mostly grey haze on the 13th.  It took several more days for it to clear out because we just weren't getting any onshore flow that week, as I recall. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

2. At the top of the episode I thought Gabe was going home since he was on a phone call with his family. That's usually the kiss of death in reality shows. 

I loved the little kid bluntness of the call- “did you win, or did someone else win?”  At least next time he will have a different answer.

I’m in the “no condensed soup” group.  I actually hated tomato soup because of it for a long time, until I started making my own.  And it’s not like mine is super fresh or complicated - it’s basically just 1 can each of crushed tomatoes and NSA chicken broth (plus a little garlic, olive oil, and basil).  Put that with a mozzarella grilled cheese and I’m set.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

On IG, Gail wrote that it was the first clear day since the wildfires.  I hope you all are doing better this year!   I love Padma’s slippers and how Tom looks like a slightly creepy uncle.

F5DF45B7-F6A5-4B5C-AA53-345F7C5119DF.jpeg

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, susannot said:

I hope they pre-screened the contestants for bee sting allergy.  People can die of anaphylitic shock if they're allergic.

I was thinking the same thing. It took me many years and hypnotherapy to get over my own phobia of bees ... believe it or not I’ve never been stung in 60 years but who knows? I AM deathly allergic to raw honey but no clue if there’s a connection there.

I’ve always had a huge aversion to all things mushroom and never liked Campbell’s Cream of Tomato soup, but my mom was one of the quirkiest/pickiest eaters I ever knew and Campbell’s Cream of Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich was her dinner of choice at least three nights a week, so I was glad to see Chris win for his take on MY childhood memory lolol ...

Like a few others have mentioned, I’m all about Progresso. I’m a terrible cook so their minestrone was my daughter’s favorite meal that I made (hubby is amazing chef, from restaurant family so she didn’t go hungry or undernourished). She called it “stroni veggies” ... 

I’m still Team Shota. Really like Chris too. Could listen to Nelson’s voice all day. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Avishar said he used lots of fruit, I think I heard him say there was fruit in the stock used to cook the risotto.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Avishar said he used lots of fruit, I think I heard him say there was fruit in the stock used to cook the risotto.

I remember Tom complaining about too much cheese in the risotto, so the fruit must have been overwhelmed.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, carrps said:

I remember Tom complaining about too much cheese in the risotto

In all the seasons, has there ever been a risotto that Tom has liked?  It's like he takes great pleasure in tearing them all down, lol.

I had to laugh at the clunky product placement dialogue for the QF.  Dale: "I have an eight-month-old, so it's important to get food on the table quick--like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup." 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I had to laugh at the clunky product placement dialogue for the QF.  Dale: "I have an eight-month-old, so it's important to get food on the table quick--like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup." 

Yeah, I laughed at that, too. And what baby likes Cream of Mushroom? We called it Cream of Boogers when I was a kid (the mushroom pieces were very small -- like boogers). But I had an awesome cream of mushroom soup at The Sardine Factory in Monterey.

• LOL 3
On 4/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, Bad Example said:

And I kind of get the Campbell's soup hate.... but on the other hand by total coincidence I was eating the mushroom stroganoff I'd just made with cream of mushroom soup (& mushrooms & greek yogurt & ground beef over egg noodles) while I watched this, and it was freakin' delicious and major comfort food.

On 4/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

I use ground turkey and spices instead of beef and that is my youngest son's favorite dish! 

I use thinly sliced sauteed London Broil in my Campbell's Cream of Mushroom stroganoff and I swear, it doesn't get any better than that.  Happiness is a plate of stroganoff.  I'm pretty sure I could've won the Quickfire with it.

On 4/22/2021 at 9:24 PM, susannot said:

It definitely looked to me like the fryer was not anywhere near hot enough.

Exactly.  She knew full well that the oil was not hot enough so she should've been sent packing even without needing a Judge's Table.  That raw chicken ON EVERY PLATE was unforgivable.

• Love 6

I always think half of successfully competing on Top Chef is making it through the show without appearing to be a big jerk-and Kiki seemed really, really nice and pleasant so I think even though she didn't win...she's a winner, the show will bring her some nice publicity, etc...Not sure who is Gabe and who is Gabriel but the one who won the challenge seems like a sweetheart and his food is interesting. 3 Oyster Guy...I don't know. His toppings sounded nice but fruit and oysters sounds not good to me.

I liked the quick fire challenge with the Campbell's Soup! My gross thing that I make is Chicken/Broccoli/Rice/Cheese casserole with cream of cheddar soup.  It is the taste of 1973 but really-I find it hard to stop eating. Probably the salt is addictive. So out of all of the quickfires, Dawn's sounded the best to me. I also liked that she added crispy chicken skin to her plate. I like what she cooks in general. Also-I thought everyone who paired the tomato soup with fish was brilliant-I would never, ever think to do that and it seemed smart. 

I figured Kiki would go home for her chicken-on top of being raw, she said it was glazed but it didn't look glazed to me, it looked like it was just glooped with a grainy sauce. So, yuck. Avishar's also looked terrible and even though he is charming and adorkable, unless he gets some fire I don't think he'll last much longer.

Edited by Heathrowe
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

Not sure who is Gabe and who is Gabriel but the one who won the challenge seems like a sweetheart and his food is interesting. 3 Oyster Guy...I don't know.

Gabe is the one who won, and Gabriel is 3 Oyster Guy (who, you may have heard, used to work for Tom).

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

There’s a great restaurant near me that makes a phenomenal barbecue jackfruit that sort of mimics pulled pork - that was where my mind went immediately when I heard this challenge, so Gabe’s slow roasted plum sounded perfect, and I’m glad it was a hit. 

Poor Maria just cannot get out of the middle, can she? I thought her albondigas sounded amazing. 

Despite the beautiful scenery, I always hate the challenges where they have to cook outdoors. I’ll take my meal without the side of bees and flies, thank you. 😬😬😬

• Love 10
1 hour ago, BryroseA said:

There’s a great restaurant near me that makes a phenomenal barbecue jackfruit that sort of mimics pulled pork - that was where my mind went immediately when I heard this challenge, so Gabe’s slow roasted plum sounded perfect, and I’m glad it was a hit. 

Poor Maria just cannot get out of the middle, can she? I thought her albondigas sounded amazing.

The pulled pork style jackfruit really made social media rounds due to Tabitha Brown. There was a few weeks where I saw that constantly!

About the albondigas: The little caption said albondigas seca. Seca means dry. What element gave it that designation? They were still in sauce, obviously so not a dry presentation. In Tucson, where Maria cooks, there is a meat called carne seca, maybe they were made from that? Obviously not a big thing, just curious!

42 minutes ago, snarktini said:

The pulled pork style jackfruit really made social media rounds due to Tabitha Brown. There was a few weeks where I saw that constantly!

About the albondigas: The little caption said albondigas seca. Seca means dry. What element gave it that designation? They were still in sauce, obviously so not a dry presentation. In Tucson, where Maria cooks, there is a meat called carne seca, maybe they were made from that? Obviously not a big thing, just curious!

I've always had albondigas in soup -- in fact a very white bread coffee shop near me (long gone) used to have sopa de albonigas as one of their everyday soups & I always ordered it -- so maybe seca is not in soup/broth?

Is this the first time that Padma or Tom weren't there to give the welcome at the site and/or the twist on the EC? It was Carrie and Melissa only, giving them their twist.  Whichever, welcome or twist, it threw me a bit when it was just the two guest judges. I am kind of thinking I am getting burned out on this group of guest judges, except for Blaise. What is happening to me?🤔

Yeah, Gabriel mentioned more than once (but less than three?) his connection to Tom, either by saying he worked for him or how Tom liked something, but he is really showing throughout the episodes so far, that he is a caring, sensitive, thoughtful person. Gentle even. And I don't think he has mentioned it again, since the beginning episode. He asked Jamie if she needed help after he was finished (que the "He did three oysters, in three hours, of course he had time to help") and she did seem to need the help. 

Odd that Byron did a Thanksgiving dish and then Dale told Sara that her dish (which wasn't presented as a Thanksgiving dish) took him back to his mothers house at Thanksgiving. I wondered if he meant Sara's actual food (Did she (Dale's mother) make mushroom spaetzle strogonoff or was it the flavors/textures?) or the feeling he got from Sara's food? I had to rewind the whole dish presentation and judging to make sure I heard it right. 

I am glad about the top three EC. Yet I wish I knew if Bryon was fourth because his dish was one I wanted to try. Especially after ponytail judge said deconstructed cheese plate. I hope it was at least fourth. I also thought bottom three was correct and hope that Sara's was fourth from the bottom because hers was something I least wanted to try. Well, not counting raw chicken as an option. 

I don't think Maria has stank face, I think that is just her natural demeanor. Not stank, just a serious face. 

It is hard so far this season because I don't not like any of them. But I won't be bummed if Sara is eliminated next week (completely, EC and LCK).  

Edited by stewedsquash
added (Dale's mother) for clarity
  • Love 4

I always dislike the "cook outside" challenges. When it's "your only method is a grill and/or fire pit" I'm like....ehhhhh maybe, but still when they're having to do all the prep and stuff outside: no thank you. Especially when it's all windy like that, I'm imagining all the grit and crap blowing into everything, before I even get to the bee factor. Me no like.

• Love 4

And what baby likes Cream of Mushroom?

It was super clunky I think they meant for that to be oh I'm so busy with the baby I need something quick for myself to eat, not that an 8 month old is eating Cream of Mushroom.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, carrps said:

I know someone upthread said Tom's hat looked like something he pulled out of the trash, but looking at this pic, I think it's probably a very pricy panama hat.

Thank you I knew someone would point this out before I could get here!

• Love 1

I thought Kiki was really nice, but I find it hard to believe that she tasted the wings all that well if all the judges got raw chicken.  We're not just talking undercooked chicken.  They called it RAW chicken, and that's pretty hard to miss.  And they ALL got it.

Tom tried to warn her about deep frying the wings but if she knew anything about cooking competitions she would have known that you can't trust the temperature in a deep fryer outdoors.  I've seen this happen on umpteen cooking competition shows by now.  Are they not given thermometers to test the temperature?  I would think you'd need that if you're going to deep fry anything.  And if not, don't risk it.

Avishar too - He even knows that risotto is risky but does it anyway.  Seriously?  I like him a lot too and he's a dead ringer for a guy I went to HS with, but dude, you have zero excuse.  I'm just glad he didn't go home.

I am wondering if anyone's done any YouTubes about the various kisses of death on cooking competitions like Top Chef.  Certainly raw anything, deep frying outdoors and attempting risotto would be high on the list.  These chefs need to research this stuff before they go on the show.  I know I would but that's me.

I hate the fact that they don't give the chefs adequate cover when they make them cook outdoors in nature.  I thought they should have at least put up a tent with mesh sides for the bees.  Come on, show!

Lastly, true to my non-food snob nature I am on board with the Campbells Cream of chicken and mushroom soups.  A skilled chef can make some amazing dishes with them and you'd never know that they were in there.  The older I get the more I am on board with anything that can save me time and effort and make a dish taste like I've been slaving over it all day.  In the right proportions with the right seasonings and other ingredients they can be amazing.  Speaking of that, I make a "semi-homemade" (ha ha) New England clam chowder with a can of Progresso clam chowder as its base that is off the charts and can fool anyone that it is completely homemade.

• Love 6

I'm in my 50s and my mom made some mean casseroles with Campbell's cream soups as the sauce base. I'm not going to diss it. It is pure comfort food. Every once in awhile I'll make this chicken and rice casserole that has mushrooms, cream of celery, cream of chicken and cheddar cheese in it. Hits the spot and brings up memories of my youth.

I think if you can turn a can of soup into something delicious you are a great chef. I love the challenges when they have to use certain ingredients and there are restraints. When they are pushed out of their boxes it shows how creative they truly are. Any of them should be able to turn out an outstanding dish with the best ingredients, but give them a can of soup, vending machine food, or Pillsbury biscuits and let's see what they can really do. 

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Speaking of that, I make a "semi-homemade" (ha ha) New England clam chowder with a can of Progresso clam chowder as its base that is off the charts and can fool anyone that it is completely homemade.

OMG, you just gave me full-on TWoP flashback body shudders.

Heh, I always add a generous pat of butter to Progresso clam chowder before I heat it up. Super easy and it does taste home(not semi)made!

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, carrps said:

I've always had albondigas in soup -- in fact a very white bread coffee shop near me (long gone) used to have sopa de albonigas as one of their everyday soups & I always ordered it -- so maybe seca is not in soup/broth?

Off topic a bit - there was a character in an episode of Bosch named Alberto Bondigas. Al Bondigas. Albondigas. I laughed so hard. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I am wondering if anyone's done any YouTubes about the various kisses of death on cooking competitions like Top Chef.

You might enjoy Top Chef Stats - It's not exactly what you're talking about, but it does say that only two chefs that made risotto made it to the finale (Amar and Tiffany) and seven chefs were eliminated for risotto. 

Also an interesting stat: of 56 phone calls home, 11 chefs were eliminated that episode and 16 won that episode.

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

21 hours ago, carrps said:

Yeah, I laughed at that, too. And what baby likes Cream of Mushroom?

2 hours ago, blixie said:

It was super clunky I think they meant for that to be oh I'm so busy with the baby I need something quick for myself to eat, not that an 8 month old is eating Cream of Mushroom.

Game of telephone going on here, ha.

Dale did say he needed to get meals on the table quickly because he had a child. But he said he had a two year old child. Then during the QF a chef asked Chris what he was making and the chef then asked Chris if he fed his child and Chris said no she has just started getting teeth. Then it went to Chris's talking head and he said that he and his wife have an eight month old daughter together. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, carrps said:

OMG, you just gave me full-on TWoP flashback body shudders.

Heh, I always add a generous pat of butter to Progresso clam chowder before I heat it up. Super easy and it does taste home(not semi)made!

I prefer Campbell's Homestyle Clam Chowder and add butter, store brand fried onions (not Durkee) and drizzle some juice from the jar of Mt. Olive sweet heat banana peppers. I always have that along with  Progresso's Cheesy Enchilada, Wegman's Chicken Corn Chowder in my cupboards and add the same toppings to each. I eat those soups all year long. I make several homemade soups during the colder months but cans are my mainstay. 

I never got into the tomato soup and grilled cheese scene but I thought Chris's play on it was something I would like and I am glad he won QF with it. I did have it in school lunches and ate it and liked it. I dip my grilled cheese in Heinz Ketchup. I have gotten several adults who wrinkled their noses converted to it. 

I think I am going to enjoy the challenge next week. I always like the food truck type challenges and this seems kind of like that. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

I prefer Campbell's Homestyle Clam Chowder and add butter, store brand fried onions (not Durkee) and drizzle some juice from the jar of Mt. Olive sweet heat banana peppers.

I've tried clam chowder with hot sauce, and it's o.k., but I prefer it creamy and mild. I bet Manhattan style, though, would be awesome with a shot of Sriracha or somethin'.

@carrps The banana peppers are more of a pickled sweet vinegary taste and just a bit of mild warmth. I add the juice mostly for the vinegar, not the heat. But regular sweet pickles just add sweet to it. I am not a heat person and Texas Pete and Sriracha are the only heats I can tolerate. Just picture me having Brittanny's reaction at the restaurants last week because that is what always happens when I am surprised with hot stuff. Actually I am worse, I would have had to leave the table and go outside and cough my head off while wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. I love flavorful foods, spices, etc.,  but people can miss me with the Oh my gosh HOT HOT HOT STUFF just trrrrrryyyyy it YUM! No, not for me. 

Edited by stewedsquash
  • Love 5

I had no issue with the Campbell's Soup QF challenge.  I'd have failed because all I know are casserole dishes with them and I hate tomato soup in general.  But, it was certainly interesting as a challenge for the cheftestants.

Campbell's Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery are staples in my mother's cupboard.  I can make a mean tuna casserole with both.  And she makes some fantastic scalloped potatoes with both as well.  Like melt in your mouth good.

Worst though was the green beans and rice casserole dish she made with cream of mushroom soup.  That's a dish I've never made in my adult life since I moved out on my own.  And I like green beans and white rice just fine on their own but never ever together and definitely not with cream of mushroom.

• Love 3