Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Unsure And Insecure

• Start Topic

In Belize, Stephanie tests Ryan; Natalie faces Mike's mom; Julia gives Brandon an ultimatum; Jovi's drinking interrupts Yara's big news; Andrew has another idea to get Amira into the US.

I caught part of the preview for this episode last night.  

I think know Stephanie needs a psychological evaluation.  

I think Natalie needs to get herself a metal detector and do a ceiling to floor search for that ring.  

I think Andrew, Amira, and Father Amira are all surreptitiously auditioning for a yet unwritten, untitled off Broadway show.

I don't even remember if they showed Julia/Brandon or Jovi/Yara in the preview.  

Happy Saturday, fellow posters!  ❤️  

• LOL 14
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I bet he (Ryan) is selling them on the black market in Belize.

I've been on a cruise that stopped in Belize.  I can see Ryan as the flirty local guy who hits up tourists as they get off the ship.  "Want to buy a genuine ________ watch for 25% of what you pay on the ship or in one of the ship-affiliated jewelry stores?"

I wonder if (a) Mike's mom shows up WEARING the ring Mike was supposed to give Natalie, or (b) Mom asks where the ring is, since Natalie won't be wearing it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Plus the fact she buys this dude all these watches.  Who wears that many different watches?!?!? 

Isn’t there some kind of limit at Customs for the value of gifts you’re bringing into a foreign country? I don’t believe those ugly watches were worth what Stephanie claimed because she casually tossed them into her checked luggage. And of course Ryan is selling them! I’m positive we are going to see a scene where he claims to have lost the ones she sent before. And how convenient for him that she’s supplying her own ring! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
29 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Isn’t there some kind of limit at Customs for the value of gifts you’re bringing into a foreign country? I don’t believe those ugly watches were worth what Stephanie claimed because she casually tossed them into her checked luggage. And of course Ryan is selling them! I’m positive we are going to see a scene where he claims to have lost the ones she sent before. And how convenient for him that she’s supplying her own ring! 

We've done a lot of cruises, and the only time we've had to deal with Customs was disembarking in the US.  They wanted to know the value of things we bought abroad.  We may have been asked when driving into Canada where we were going and for how long, but I don't recall the Canadian border guys asking if we had anything of value to declare.  I could be wrong.  I'm old and I forget stuff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We may have been asked when driving into Canada where we were going and for how long, but I don't recall the Canadian border guys asking if we had anything of value to declare.  I could be wrong.  I'm old and I forget stuff.

I remember being asked if I was carrying more than $10K (I think that was the amount) in cash when entering Canada.

I just checked and you only have to declare at Belize Customs if you are bringing in more than $10K or its equivalent in Belizean Dollars so I guess Stephanie can bring all the crap she wants. However a travel site said jewelry and fancy watches would attract thieves so I’m sure Ryan will claim the ones she’s already sent were stolen. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, magemaud said:

Stephanie refers to him as her “27 year old fiancé” more than she says his name 

She picked that up from Rebecca.  

6 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Anybody else catch Stephanie's face mask that had an image of her and Ryan on it?  

I missed the mask as I was texting during most of the show, but that's just copied from Rebecca, but at least there are no murals of Ryan. At least, not so far. 

If I were Rebecca, I would be annoyed with the copycat Stephani. 

I agree with everyone that he is selling those watches as fast as he gets them.

• Love 9

What am I doing wrong? I only get the first segment of the preview, and then the rest is a preview for the grown-up Toddlers and Tiaras show.

I think Stephanie has had a psych eval...could she be on some sort of strong meds? I'm in no way dissing anti-depression meds, but she reminds me of a very severe case of a friend who was overprescribed Prozac (it got straightened out). Could she actually think her cat is a bird? She also called it "Turkey..." Why on earth would someone call a cat a bird?

Aside from that and a somewhat dull Sequim scene, fill me in on what I missed!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was surprised when Stephanie said she spent $3000 for one of those watches. Why did she buy that many? And put them in to checked baggage? Any of the TSA folks can help themselves or anyone at the Belize airport.  Maybe she thought that they'd look worthless in her checked bag. I understand if she was massively rich and 3 grand is $30 to her. That's more of a wedding present than a simple gift. And she bought trousers to match. Does Ryan know that the watch cost that much? He might sell it for $100. She seems to be one of these folks who have friends as long as she is buying. It's nice to be generous if you can do so, but she seems to be unconditionally giving, and that is a problem. I have been known to put a smallish suitcase on the couch, but is usually goes on the carpet.

So Mike's mom is coming to meet Natalie? There may be more tears.

Julia talking to her dad was revealing - she hates living on the farm, doesn't like the animals, and smells because of them. Brandon should be standing up to his parents to tell them to hire a more suitable worker.

Poor Amira wandering about the empty CDG airport in Paris. The gamble didn't work. Her father may be right that Andrew is not the right man for her.  Kinda sad that he stayed at the resort, ate a few nice meals, had a nice view and some sunshine, while she was sent home. He could have made some effort to go to Mexico City.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Ucross said:

What am I doing wrong? I only get the first segment of the preview, and then the rest is a preview for the grown-up Toddlers and Tiaras show.

You didn’t do anything wrong. That was a surprise to all of us, kind of like back in school when the entire class got punished for the behavior of a few 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 19

If Brandon has a full time job he can easily afford his own place. 10000$ debt is nothing nowadays. His parents don’t want him to leave the farm, and he is too scared to move out. Julia is his once-in-lifetime chance to stop his parents abuse. Otherwise he will be living with them for the rest of HIS life.

Edited by Maximadc
N/a
  • Love 21
6 hours ago, Maximadc said:

If Brandon has a full time job he can easily afford his own place. 10000$ debt is nothing nowadays. His parents don’t want him to leave the farm, and he is too scared to move out. Julia is his once-in-lifetime chance to stop his parents abuse. Otherwise he will be living with them for the rest of HIS life.

Exactly.  He has a job which you can move that credit debt to a line of credit or pay it off with a loan and lower interest. Especially now with interest rates being low due to covid. The storyline does not make sense.  He's on the farm because mommy and daddy want him to.

• Love 12
On 1/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, greekmom said:

Thoughts on the first look:

the fact she buys this dude all these watches.  Who wears that many different watches?!?!?  I bet he is selling them on the black market in Belize.

Haven't watches been replaced by cell phones...she should just send ryan several i-phones. He might treat her with more respect.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Maximadc said:

Brandon is 27 years old and has to cut the strings.  The parents are selfish and are using him.  They both make me sick with their demands for him and Julia.  Apparently, they don’t want to see them happy.  Either hire help for the farm or sell it.  It looks like a filthy mess anyway.  They both look like mean people who only think of themselves.  You grew Brandon up .. now let him fly away.  Good for Julia for speaking up and threatening to leave him.  Now, we will see if he’s man enough to chooseJulia.

• Useful 1
  • Love 23
2 hours ago, Mary Godfrey said:

Natalie is a spoiled, passive aggressive child and she could use some lessons in applying makeup.

The woman is a little con artist, and dopey Mike is falling for it.  One minute she’s chastizing him about everything and nasty putting him down.  The next minute, she’s all lovey dovey and kissing his ass.  The real wacko Natalie was the good little girl while his Mother was there.  As soon as the Mother leaves, she’ll be on his case again belittling him and knocking him down and telling him what to eat and do.  Her tears don’t move me one bit.  The ring, the ring, the ring is all she talks about.  An engagement ring means nothing.  It’s not a sure thing that he will marry her.  The only thing pretty about her is her eyes that have too much liner on them.  I hope Mike dumps her as she will make him miserable in the long run.

• Love 12

Natalie gives me whiplash. If Mike's mom thinks "there are too many differences for this to work", I can't help but wonder why she gave her son the green light to get married. 

Based on his reaction, it appears that Jovi questions whether he is the father of Yara's baby.  Next stop, Maury.  

Ryan was adamant that he didn't want to come to the States.  Wonder what made his change his mind.  Stephanie doesn't seem to have the good sense to realize that he either deleted contacts and messages from his phone or that he has another phone.      

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Maximadc said:

His parents don’t want him to leave the farm, 

Sometimes in a less than healthy relationship, parents want adult kids around to act as a buffer between spouses. The preview for next week of the three of them was quite disturbing. Something dark going on with the swingers.

• Useful 8
  • Love 6

Stephanie and Ryan: How old is he, again? Why are you putting your dirty suitcase on the table? Why are you taking so many watches? And especially a $3000 one? Customs can and will search you and it is easy for any baggage handler to break in to the suitcase and help him/herself. Why so many gifts for him? Plus expensive ones. You see him and you search his phone? You have no idea why he loses or misplaces, er, sells your stuff? Ryan is not all that hot and you can do a whole lot better with a more business type dude in the US. He's only along for the ride as long as you are buying. Did he take a pic of you or the lobster at dinner? There are so many red flags that I felt I was watching an F1 race.

Brandon and Julia: Yeah, you hate being on the farm. You don't like being around the animals. Brandon, you come home in your uniform and really have nothing to offer your fiance. You know she isn't happy. You know farm life isn't what she wants. Stand up to your parents, find some way to afford an apartment and leave the farm. You have no idea if or when you will ever move out. Looking after the animals for 6 weeks is one thing. Hire someone who actually likes that kind of job.

Jovi and Yara: That was fast - having a baby on the way. Not the best timing either. Thought you'd have problems having another baby. And of course, no birth control. You may wish to consider your options if Jovi keeps drinking all day and you may find yourself dealing with an alcoholic. Do you want that life?

Natalie and Mike: She certainly runs hot and cold. Sweet one minute, a raging nasty controlling bitch the next. I don't think she impressed Mike's mom and her mullet except for admitting that she threw the ring back and that was a mistake. And who is going to pay for Mama Natalie's visitor visa and plane ticket and accommodation? Nats? It's a 90 day visa to plan the wedding and have the ceremony and not a 90 day assessment if I'd like another 180 day visa to see if I really want to marry you. Nats and Mike are very different and it is baffling that they are together. Butter being good for your brain? Okaaaaay.

Amira and Andrew: Listen to your dad, Amira. Andrew is showing you exactly who he is. Believe it the first time. Sure, he may miss you and is upset that you didn't get in to Mexico and then the US, but he sure isn't crying in to his beer. Sightseeing, eating for the both of you, having a nice vacation. Stay in France and listen to the Universe as it was blocking you from being with him. Run!

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
On 1/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, magemaud said:

Stephanie refers to him as her “27 year old fiancé” more than she says his name 

And they’re not even engaged yet haha.  Don’t new expensive watches usually come in a box?  She seems off to me, just not sure if she’s drugged, maybe prescription or something.  For someone trying so hard to come across as wealthy, I’m not sure I’m buying it.  She is definitely mothering her 27 year old future fiancé.

• Love 22

Aw, Natalie's mom seems so sweet. I feel sad she won't really be a part of their lives especially if they have a baby. Their baby would be her joy and she could help care for it. Very common in European families. Wish she could live here too.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 10

Sunglasses come in cases and so do watches. Cheap ones under $100 come with cases for both so I would THINK if you're going to gift them AND pack them in your suitcase you don't pack a $3000 watch sans case let along sunglasses in just a cloth bag.

Is Mike a hoarder?  All of three of them thought putting a suitcase on the couch amidst 100 pillows is fine when shooting for a show with millions of viewers?

dfdf.PNG

Edited by Leilani
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Brandon’s mom & dad’s big plan is for Brandon to inherit the ‘farm.’  (What is it anyway? It doesn’t appear to be a working farm, just a mish-mash of farm style animals.)  They expected him to settle down with a nice country girl and they’d all live together happily ever after.  I don’t care much for Julia (and she is going to be in total shock when she sees what her new standard of living will be once they bounce from mummy and daddy’s), but I am on her side on this.  She did not sign up to be a farm hand, and Brandon needs to man up and tell his parents that he does not share their dream.  Bringing home a go-go dancer to marry doesn’t count.

Natalie and Mike are broken.  Just give it up.

Stephanie will burn through her money soon enough at this rate.  Ryan just wants a green card and then she’ll never see him again.

Amira needs to wake up!  Andrew is not worth it.

Jovi and Yara—yawn.  Not enough NOLA to make it interesting.

• Love 13

In the live chat @greekmomagreekmasked if any of us who did the k1 ever broke down into hysterical tears for missing family.

My mil was fighting cancer when my husband came over so it was different for us. She died 2 years later. 

I DID have some hysterical moments when I lived abroad, though. It wasn't just about missing my family, though that played into it. Lonely, culture shock, no support system, dependent upon my husband and his vehicle and income (when, here, I had my OWN money/vehicle/friends/etc)... Like Natalie, I was an only child in a single parent household. Sometimes when I was having a bad day it was just the straw that broke the camel. Hell, I missed being able to get in MY car and hearing country music on the radio. I imagine it's even harder if nobody is around to speak your language.

My DH had some real cultural issues here and he broke down a few times. Going to restaurants and having so many choices (sides, dressing, how you like your meat, etc), not being able to walk to any businesses, big cars, long distances, being able to have as many televisions as you wanted without paying for a license, no free healthcare, CHOOSING your doctor, "dry" counties without alcohol, drinks with ice...He was, however, all about the free refills. 

I suspect that Natalie may have some mental health issues, too. The show focuses on the big drama but totally overlooks the more subtle things that, I think, are more interesting. It's HARD marrying a foreigner. They're homesick, nervous, and a little scared in that first year and you're over compensating and putting all of THEIR needs first because you're dealing with (unwarranted but still present) guilt for being the reason they left everything behind. I wouldn't return to that first year of marriage for anything.

• Useful 13
  • Love 11

Andrew is such a creep. After having spent the whole of Amira's tribulation ensconced at the luxury resort, he decides he's had such trauma that HE needs a spa day. And a couple of excursion trips. Poor dude, his life is so difficult. Amira, stay home and don't fall for any of his "prove you love me" crap anymore.  Your dad is spot on.

Mama Brandon did not disappoint. At the first sign her son was planning on manning up and getting his own life, she falls apart. "Oh, what will happen to the faaaaaaaaaaaamily!  How can you even consider this!  It's her fault!"  I'm in dire need of an anti-emetic.

Mike's mom may be right, but I don't like her much. She's as far out as Mike. Another "I don't like this girl for my son, but give me grandbabies!" idiot.  "Butter is good for your brain."  LOL. I'm surprised Natalie didn't become apoplectic on the spot.

Edited by renatae
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21
6 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

Anyone know how old Stephanie’s fiancé is? She didn’t mention it. 

To catch you up: Rebecca was previously married to a foreigner, Sumit's family doesn't want him with Jenny, and Stephanie has an illness. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 6
On 1/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, magemaud said:

Nothing like a completely spontaneous proposal, right Stephanie? It's not like you're hinting at anything!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Everyone knows it's the fat from ICE CREAM that's good for the brain; butter is old news. The frauding on this show is getting offensive to my delicate sensibilities. I'll go drown myself in ice cream to think more better.

Obviously the production crew hates Andrew as much as everyone else. People like him do not think they come across like they do, and then get irritated that people call them out on being shitty. There was no reason to air him talking to Amira about all the fun inclusions he was doing, or not show the things he did do to try and find her; there was just a single sentence where he said all the people he called, including the embassy, which I thought was her dad when I saw it the first time. They showed it all because he's an ass.

This is the fraudiest t season yet. I'm sure part of it is because Covid limited their options, but neither Andrew/Amira or Stephani/Ryan have any airtime to contribute to the show. Tarik and Hazel wanting to add a third is coming across as faked for screen time, and Rebecca and Zied are on this season. 

1 hour ago, Jack Sampson said:

When Yara is telling her friend she's pregnant, it looks like only one line. 

iFp6GDc.jpg

That's a positive. The negative shows the line on the right side along with the left, but it's faded by the time this photo was taken. The solid line on the left if a positive result

• Useful 11
  • Love 4

I'm giving Andrew a bit of a pass here. If he booked a package trip and his flight home is a fixed date, what else is he going to do for the remaining days of the trip? Sit in his room and cry? I don't blame him at all for enjoying the facilities he's paid for over the remaining duration of the trip. I'm damn sure I'd do that.

Brandon is reprehensible, and I have no doubt he misled Julia about the life she would be leading in the USA. He's a little boy, and for him it was all about the glamour of meeting her in foreign countries and having fun, without thinking about how he'd provide for a wife. That said, we all have access to Google and so she should have been able to see satellite or Street View images of where he lives. I'm also guessing that the parents might have sponsored the visa process (if Brandon didn't earn enough) and maybe it was part of the application being granted that she would be living with them/supported by them.

WTF was that upholstery fringe/tassle nightmare dress Stephanie was wearing? I thought the blouse she wore on the plane was bad enough but that dress was horrendous. Ryan has a second phone, for sure, probably purchased for him by another of his cougar sugar mommies. It seems that in the past he almost took his eye off the prize and caused Stephanie to break up with him, but the prize being his desire to really get to America  (rather than to marry Stephanie because he truly loves her), he's back on board with his 'over-age' girlfriend. It's lucky that her mother's ring wasn't a plain old six-claw solitaire, because he was looking at it as if he was working out how he could swap it for a cubic zirconia replacement without her knowing.

I don't believe any of the Yara/Jovi storyline. I think the pregnancy storyline is a fraud, and there are so many reasons on both sides why these two shouldn't be together that I really hope they don't go ahead and get married.

Mike looks completely checked out of the relationship, so again I don't understand why these two are together. They have nothing in common, Natalia hates just about everything about him and how he lives, and nothing he does will ever be good enough for her. End it now...

Also, I bet the minute Rebecca watched this show she was Googling 'custom-made face masks'.  She probably couldn't believe she hadn't thought of this first.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
On 1/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, Ucross said:

I think Stephanie has had a psych eval...could she be on some sort of strong meds? I'm in no way dissing anti-depression meds, but she reminds me of a very severe case of a friend who was overprescribed Prozac (it got straightened out). Could she actually think her cat is a bird? She also called it "Turkey..." Why on earth would someone call a cat a bird?

Aside from that and a somewhat dull Sequim scene, fill me in on what I missed!

You should see my daughter and me. We call our cats turkeys, birds and old dogs. It's a term of affection with us 🙂 "My cat was laying on my feet like a good puppy!" I don't think I would do that if I lived alone though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Who other than oh say maybe  a mom potty training a toddler says they brought their boy some new undies hahahah Stephanie is a fricking mess! I was LOL

I think father Brandon went thru some trauma and extreme poverty or disadvantage as a child. The legacy of handing down the farm is the driver in his life. Moreso than healthy relationships. Brandon says in the preview we have to leave the ‘family farm’ that term is brainwashed and indoctrinated into his speech by manipulators. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

[Sigh]...Yara made me nostalgic for the elation of a + pregnancy test. Of course, if you don't want a +, it hits different.  Jovi shouldn't be having Jack & coke or Captain & coke or whatever at that hour right before seeing his lady for the 1st time in weeks.  Could've waited til he got home after giving her some attention.  At first I didn't like her much but now I'm more empathetic toward her and I dislike Jovi the most. 

Natalie and Mike need to split PRONTO. She is a bunny boiler and kinda looks like a young Glenn Close a little bit, too! As soon as there was a date set, she kinda forgot about the ring, a church (her faith)- everything.  This will not end well.

Julia should just leave. I don't think she's *that* into Brandon. She's materialiatic and immature. I wonder when exactly she washed the dirt off her face after the 7 minutes of "farm work" she did. How many facetimes did she have to do where she complained of "looking like a pig?" Let me guess...no apartment will suit her highness, they'll all be too far from any city, they'll be not enough $$ for her needs & then, surprise! She'll be "stuck in house with baby" that she had no clue she could possibly make from putting part A into slot B🙄

Stephanie is mentally ill. I'm sure when her parents married in 1920, having her 27 yr old Belizean boy toy putting it on her finger is what they envisioned for their future baby girl. I'll say though, Ryan seems very appreciative and a kind of charming guy (albeit a cheater- but charming and seemingly humble). When she started unpacking him shirts and undies, my husband said "she's like his mother!" Yes. Exactly. 

Andrew had some nerve bragging to Amira about his amazing experiences he was having on HER (combined) vacation! I said I know someone like that. Just completely tone deaf to a situation.  If it were me or anyone normal, I'd say "yeah I'm going to be heading home soon as I can. Nothing to do here without you. It's depressing." I mean, *really.* 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

When Yara is telling her friend she's pregnant, it looks like only one line. 

iFp6GDc.jpg

YES!  Thank you!  I said the same thing!  She was getting all freaked out and I saw ONE FREAKING LINE!

• Love 2

If Natalie calms down, gets some meds and marries Mike, I hope she can bring her aging Mother here to live too.  Is that allowed?  Deep down, I think she misses her Mother.  After awhile, she could get a little job to help with the bills and maybe get a nicer house near a city.  There are possibilities if she tries.  They both have to give in a little to make it work, if they want a better life and relationship.  I guess that pertains to all of them.  They all need a plan.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, essexjan said:

It's lucky that her mother's ring wasn't a plain old six-claw solitaire, because he was looking at it as if he was working out how he could swap it for a cubic zirconia replacement without her knowing.

I was trying to figure out why he was staring at it for so hard and so long, with that expression on his face. It just seemed like he was really really interested in it. I think you've nailed it.

• Love 7

Is Mike a hoarder?  All of three of them thought putting a suitcase on the couch amidst 100 pillows is fine when shooting for a show with millions of viewers?

How about the suitcase on the bed with Stephanie?  I never put a suitcase on the bed.  It has been dragged through parking lot, airport, thrown in the belly of a plane then dumped on a revolving conveyer belt.........just NO.  Not on the bed I am sleeping in.  Or having sex 4 times a night!  Ewww.

Natalie needs to go home.  Mike has been over her after she threw the ring at him after lecturing him about what a loser he is, only to flip the switch on the ride to airport.  I think he finally saw just how crazy she is.  If he gives her the ring that crazy will come back out.  she is barely containing it now.  I cannot stand how she talks through her clenched teeth.  It is so irritating. 

Is Stephanie going to give him her mothers ring so when he is ready to ask her to marry him he will have it?  Hahahahahaha he is so going to sell it and then tell her she lost it.  And she really needs to stop wearing those Daisy Duke shorts and put some pants on!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7