Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Unsure And Insecure

• Start Topic

On 1/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, Colfrmb said:

I’m not done!  That house belonging to Ron & Betty, Brandon’s parents, looks like a double wide to me and I’m NOT belittling that but this place of theirs doesn’t seem to be the most amazing place to inherit or even resell.  It all looks like a tear down to me and I can imagine Julia thinking the same thing.

He probably wasn't talking about the house. Most likely the land, which acreages are a hot commodity pretty much anywhere right now. He could make a pretty penny inheriting the land and selling it later if he truly didn't want to live on an acreage.  But did he say he has older siblings? Are none of them in the running to inherit the farm? 

BUT I have to wonder how their farm even works. He said both parents have regular full time jobs - they hire someone to feed the animals in the mornings. Seems a little counter productive. 

I have a lot of farmer's in my family and they only went and got 'full time jobs' when they no longer wanted to keep farm animals around. 

20 hours ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Brandon and Julia: I get that Brandon is in debt but he should have been forthcoming about it to Julia AND the fact that they would be staying in his parents’ home and all the rules and obligations. He blindsided her. 

Farming is not her thing, plus not sleeping with her fiance has to be hard. His parents are trying to take advantage of her. Who the the hell fed the animals before she came?

But maybe them asking her to help out is harmless. I mean what else is she suppose to do all day?? Maybe they thought if she was taught how to do it she might enjoy it. Go feed them and then go back to sleep. 

I know not everyone can find the farm life enjoyable but I'm sure most of this stuff is just amped up for a storyline. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/25/2021 at 10:22 AM, Shauna said:

I thought it was interesting the way Brandon said "WE thought Julia we adapt to the farm better".  Paraphrasing, but the point is that he said WE, meaning he and his parents.  I guess they're all in this together, as a unit?  He needs to break away from them and start adulting. 

I'm pretty sure there's a barn somewhere on the property concealing corpses of young women they thought would adapt better. They just seem like that kind of family.

I'm picturing Brandon like the female lead at the end of Get Out: Robotically eating one cheerio, sipping from a glass of milk, then back to the dating sites again: "Want to date swm and play with cute animals?"

Edited by TakeAPinotGrigio
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
On 1/23/2021 at 8:41 PM, Ucross said:

I think Stephanie has had a psych eval...could she be on some sort of strong meds? I'm in no way dissing anti-depression meds, but she reminds me of a very severe case of a friend who was overprescribed Prozac (it got straightened out). Could she actually think her cat is a bird? She also called it "Turkey..." Why on earth would someone call a cat a bird?

On 1/25/2021 at 7:28 AM, gotta watch said:

You should see my daughter and me. We call our cats turkeys, birds and old dogs. It's a term of affection with us 🙂 "My cat was laying on my feet like a good puppy!" I don't think I would do that if I lived alone though.

Stephanie’s relationship with her cat is the only thing I really like about her. I call my cat Brother Bear for no particular reason. It just suits him. I am almost positive he’s not a bear. And I call the other one Kitten even though she’s 9. But then again I do have a prescription for benzos PRN. Perhaps I should tell my doctor about this disturbing thing I’ve been doing. 

On 1/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, Pondlass1 said:

Who wears short shorts with holes for a plane ride? Ugh! A thousand bums have sat on those seats.

I usually love the French accent but Amira talking English with dad was really irritating me for some reason. They talk in monotone. Why didn’t they speak French and subtitle?

I know it probably doesn’t matter, but I cannot wear shorts on a plane. The backs of my legs sticking to those vinyl seats... UGH. I just can’t do it! Plus I try to dress semi-respectably just in case they’re doing surreptitious upgrades. Gotta look like I belong in First Class!

Something about Amira’s voice is uniquely annoying. She probably speaks at least three languages, so good for her, but I hope she doesn’t make them all sound as petulant and marble-mouthed as she does English. It reminds me of Sofia Vergara, whose accent has suspiciously grown much thicker since becoming a famous actress in America...

PS Brandon is like if Elf on the Shelf got bitten by a Gremlin. 

Edited by JocelynCavanaugh
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

Something about Amira’s voice is uniquely annoying. She probably speaks at least three languages, so good for her, but I hope she doesn’t make them all sound as petulant and marble-mouthed as she does English. It reminds me of Sofia Vergara, whose accent has suspiciously grown much thicker since becoming a famous actress in America...

It's the flat, monotone for me.  Zero affect to her voice no matter the situation.  But not serial killery like Colt, though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 1/26/2021 at 8:28 PM, Flip Flops said:

Brandon came in wearing his work clothes after possibly spraying poison and sat on the bed! Yuck!

Exactly my reaction! He'd probably been messing around in nasty basements and such as well. 

Urgh!

• Love 4
On 1/23/2021 at 9:41 PM, Ucross said:

I think Stephanie has had a psych eval...could she be on some sort of strong meds? I'm in no way dissing anti-depression meds, but she reminds me of a very severe case of a friend who was overprescribed Prozac (it got straightened out). Could she actually think her cat is a bird? She also called it "Turkey..." Why on earth would someone call a cat a bird?

I call my cats, dogs, and occasionally my kids "turkey" and "turkey butt" depending on how I'm feeling. 

Honestly, I feel like her relationship with her cats is probably the least weirdest thing about her. 

• Love 8

Oh....where to begin...

Stephanie----while there have been plenty of couples in this show with big age differences, the only other one that I can think of that me feel icky as much as this one was a few seasons ago, Mark with a very, very young Filipina (Nicki?). The scene where she is unpacking all his gifts, it was like watching a mom visit her kid at college bringing him "undies" and slides. I don't think Ryan is even that attractive and the pic someone posted of his cousin? Trashy, very trashy is the only thing that came to mind. What is this woman thinking? If she is dead set on being a sugar mommy, at least pick an attractive sugar baby. Ryan clearly will ride this out for a ticket out of Belize and once in the US, lose no time in partying it up with people closer to his age bracket. Stephanie will scream and hold the green card and her $$ over her head until he finds another sugar momma and breaks free. 

Mike/Natalie----She is correct, she is very smart, she knew that the key to Mike's heart and that ring was through his momma. I think his mother may be the most likeable parent in this series, def this season. She isn't totally on board or convinced it will work out in the end, but she knows her son is a grown ass man and will do what he will do so she didn't interfere. I will say in Natalie's defense, I have lived abroad and it can be very, very isolating when you don't know anyone and are navigating it all. I remember not knowing how to use a pay phone (this was in 1999) and just standing there on teh corner crying (you had to use a push button thingy after inserting coins to get it to work, do it the wrong way it just ate your coins). Plus the stress of maybe returning home a "failure" if she doesn't get married, pressure of her age and wanting a baby....yeah, I can see where emotions run high. But, she needs to ease up on the lectures about his eating habits and drinking. Even if he wants to change, that stuff takes time.....

Zied.....I think he really is into REbecca and I love exposed brick walls. His family probably doesn't get that the look is intentional and Rebecca did not move him into a bombed out building. He is young, has lived a sheltered and spoiled like back home---some homesickness even if Rebecca rolled out a red carpet would be expected. Hopefully he will adapt and these two can make it because I do like them together. 

• Love 6
On 1/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, Dmarie019 said:

But did he say he has older siblings? Are none of them in the running to inherit the farm? 

He has older half siblings from his father’s first two marriages. Seeing how volatile Ron is, I wouldn’t be surprised if those kids are estranged from him and/or cut out of the will 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

“Why don’t we just sit right here and go through your phone now “ is equivalent to “did you clean your room? Let’s go see.”

And “Did you finish your homework?” 

Of course WE all know that Ryan deleted any incriminating calls from his phone! When Stephanie asks, “Did you think I would ask to look at your phone when I got here?” you could actually see the wheels turning in Ryan’s head when he hesitates then glibly responds, “No, I didn’t think about it. I was thinking about you getting here safely” and Stephanie just melts 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Stephanie:

Hope you read the fine print on those condoms.

Glow-in-the-dark condoms, flavored condoms, etc., often has fine print that reads:

"For novelty use only. Not intended to prevent pregnancy or STDs"

Many novelty condoms are not manufactured to the same standards as regular condoms. 

The only way to use them as a reliable barrier is to put them on over a regular condom. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2021 at 8:18 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am not that parental with my sons.  I have never, and unless I suspect a safety issue is at hand, look at their phones or who they have been talking to.

I agree - listen to Dad!!1  He does know best.

I agree.  Maybe Brandon was more manly or grown up on vacation.

If Brandon and his family aren’t acting, they are definitely certifiable.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 1/29/2021 at 10:29 AM, Stuckathome said:

Oh....where to begin...

Stephanie----while there have been plenty of couples in this show with big age differences, the only other one that I can think of that me feel icky as much as this one was a few seasons ago, Mark with a very, very young Filipina (Nicki?). The scene where she is unpacking all his gifts, it was like watching a mom visit her kid at college bringing him "undies" and slides. I don't think Ryan is even that attractive and the pic someone posted of his cousin? Trashy, very trashy is the only thing that came to mind. What is this woman thinking?

Trashy is the best description for Harris.  He was on the "Bares All" on Discovery Plus last night, and they asked him about the situation with Stephanie.  All he could talk about was how much he wanted her P****.  They didn't even bleep out the word.  GROSS MAN.  Ryan refused to even stay on the show--he left the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Darlabutterfly said:

And Ronald has a slight gambling problem.

Plus, Kenny can't speak Spanish, Brandon's family has a farm, Stephanie has a cat, Mike believes in aliens, Natalie wants her ring back, & Dinyell was frauded with an evudense binder to prove it. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Plus, Kenny can't speak Spanish, Brandon's family has a farm, Stephanie has a cat, Mike believes in aliens, Natalie wants her ring back, & Dinyell was frauded with an evudense binder to prove it. 

And Darcy is a strong, independent woman whose kids are her LIFE.  

Drinking game:  Drink every time Natalie mentions the ring.  Anyone not named Jovi left standing?

I still can't believe Brandon's parents are fine showing these levels of assholery on television.  Like, someone who wants to get more social media likes/follows, sure, they'll do whatever stupid things they can to get a few hundred more likes.  But these grown ass adults who seemingly don't have time for that shit.... are fine with how they may/may not be edited to their liking?  What garbage humans.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I still can't believe Brandon's parents are fine showing these levels of assholery on television.  Like, someone who wants to get more social media likes/follows, sure, they'll do whatever stupid things they can to get a few hundred more likes.  But these grown ass adults who seemingly don't have time for that shit.... are fine with how they may/may not be edited to their liking?  What garbage humans.  

In my experience assholes of this level don't think they ARE assholes. These idiots probably think they're coming across as great and that JULIA is the one who looks bad. Just like Brandon thinks he's a cute "bad boy" for skinny dipping at 27. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, suzywallis said:

Trashy is the best description for Harris.  He was on the "Bares All" on Discovery Plus last night, and they asked him about the situation with Stephanie.  All he could talk about was how much he wanted her P****.  They didn't even bleep out the word.

I'm a fan of unexpurgated television, but somehow this does not make me want to sign up for Discovery +. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 1/31/2021 at 7:13 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Stephanie:

Hope you read the fine print on those condoms.

Glow-in-the-dark condoms, flavored condoms, etc., often has fine print that reads:

"For novelty use only. Not intended to prevent pregnancy or STDs"

Many novelty condoms are not manufactured to the same standards as regular condoms. 

The only way to use them as a reliable barrier is to put them on over a regular condom. 

But Stephanie, in all her worldly experience, called them RUBBERS! OMG, mom, please stop.

• LOL 5

Have we heard if she is on the hunt for another European guy? Her girls should just get emancipated, seems like they have raised themselves.

What, you mean you didn't watch the spinoff "Darcey & Stacey"?? 

Spoiler

Darcey is engaged to her latest....a much younger guy who at the time he proposed was still legally married. Yes, Easteran European, but he was already living in the US. And married. 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, greekmom said:

Andrew and Amira: I feel that Amira got lucky with being detained in Mexico. A) It showed Andrew's true colours.  B) it saved her from the incel's clutches.  Girl.. go to Paris or some other big city in Europe and live your life.  Do not latch onto some incel ass.

I agree with all this.  Andrew was already punching above his weight with Amina.  

He clearly gave exactly zero fucks about her when she was detained.  She seems to want to make him into someone he isn't, which is decent boyfriend/husband material.  

I felt like he was gaslighting me, talking about how he needed some "self care" because he had "been so worried"  

Her dad hit the nail on the head about Andrew, but having lived in the Nor. Cal. area for a while, I can say that Andrew doesn't surprise me at all and his type is not rare up here at all.  Like, he really thinks he suffered greatly and deserves a luxurious getaway because of it. 

I've basically binged the episodes this weekend because I just hadn't felt like watching the show before.  I was reading the forums and @Dobian - I think you're right, from what I could tell, this was all Andrews idea.  He said, on the show that he had done the research and he thought the loophole would work.  Amina said to her father before she even left that Andrew had been guilting her to go to Mexico and then fly to the US because if she didn't he would resent her forever.  Andrew said multiple times that he was hoping Amina wouldn't blame him for this.....I can't see why he would even make that comment if it was all her idea.  He clearly isn't the type to take on additional accountability.  I'm not sure what came out on social media, but thats just what was on the show, so I drew the same conclusion that you did.  

• Love 3
On 1/23/2021 at 11:47 PM, Maximadc said:

If Brandon has a full time job he can easily afford his own place. 10000$ debt is nothing nowadays. His parents don’t want him to leave the farm, and he is too scared to move out. Julia is his once-in-lifetime chance to stop his parents abuse. Otherwise he will be living with them for the rest of HIS life.

His father dangled that farm over his head with a quickness.  And so I have no problem believing that any resistance is met with threats that he will be taken out of the will or something along those lines.  

Brandon seems so wormlike, with all the exaggerated "awww, ain't I a stinker!" facial expressions.  I do think $10k of debt can balloon pretty quickly, but there has to be a room they can rent somewhere for a song and then they can have their privacy.

If Julia leaves, his parents will use that as a justification for Brandon to pick a "nice local girl" who they approve of and who won't be much trouble.  I wonder if the girl who showed Julia the ropes the first night is single....she seems like she would be a perfect match for his parents.  

• Love 1
On 1/25/2021 at 9:02 AM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Every time Natalie talks about Za Ring she sounds like she is trying to cough up a hair ball.  I saw in Brandon's driveway a motor home or 5th wheel, why not convince his parents for him and Julia to move in there?  I am also convinced that Ryan erased all text's and traces of his ladies prior to Stephanie arriving.

ALSO, while were on the subject of debt, I spied Brandon pulling up from work in a late model Jeep Wrangler and then pull out to dinner with grandpa in a late model Nissan Z.  If he is in debt, maybe sell a car?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

. . . but there has to be a room they can rent somewhere for a song and then they can have their privacy.

If Julia leaves, his parents will use that as a justification for Brandon to pick a "nice local girl" who they approve of and who won't be much trouble.  I wonder if the girl who showed Julia the ropes the first night is single....she seems like she would be a perfect match for his parents.  

If Ron and Betty can pack up and go away for the night, why couldn't Brandon and Julia?  Make it a weekend night so R&B will be there in the morning to feed the animals and clean out the pens.  And if R&B are unhappy about it . . . well, that's nothing new, is it?

Regarding the "nice local girl," R&B are the ones who signed him up on a matchmaking website for farmers.  Brandon doesn't WANT a "nice local girl."  He wants a Russian go-go dancer type.

And about the girl who showed Julia the ropes the first morning . . . 

Spoiler

Some people have researched and found that she is probably Betty's sister (so Brandon's aunt).

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 2/8/2021 at 4:00 AM, RealReality said:

ALSO, while were on the subject of debt, I spied Brandon pulling up from work in a late model Jeep Wrangler and then pull out to dinner with grandpa in a late model Nissan Z.  If he is in debt, maybe sell a car?

My hubby noticed the same thing about the cars.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2021 at 5:27 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

My hubby noticed the same thing about the cars.

I just priced the Jeep Wrangler on KBB.  The cheapest model you can get (with automatic transmission) is like 29k.  My sisters husband bought his for about 60k, but I think he got the fancy pants one.  The base price for the Nissan Z is about 30k. 

Assuming everything was purchased new, thats about 60k in vehicles.  Even if one were to assume that he bought them used and for a good price, and he was able to buy them for like 30-50% off, that's like 30k - 42k for two vehicles.  If they are his, he is a fool.  And if you wanted to use a wrangler to live your best life and go offroading, would you really get a late model wrangler or just buy an old reliable one?

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, RealReality said:

I just priced the Jeep Wrangler on KBB.  The cheapest model you can get (with automatic transmission) is like 29k.  My sisters husband bought his for about 60k, but I think he got the fancy pants one.  The base price for the Nissan Z is about 30k. 

Assuming everything was purchased new, thats about 60k in vehicles.  Even if one were to assume that he bought them used and for a good price, and he was able to buy them for like 30-50% off, that's like 30k - 42k for two vehicles.  If they are his, he is a fool.  And if you wanted to use a wrangler to live your best life and go offroading, would you really get a late model wrangler or just buy an old reliable one?

I believe Ron owns a car dealership so they might bring home a different car every night. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1