Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know that this would play out the same way if he'd been having an affair with some random person versus someone who worked for the company.

I suspect they would've have benched him while he works on his family.  Or divorced.  But he would come back less of a wife guy. 

I still think they could have dumped him because it sounds like they have a process for doing so.  I don't think they would have. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I suspect they would've have benched him while he works on his family.  Or divorced.  But he would come back less of a wife guy. 

I still think they could have dumped him because it sounds like they have a process for doing so.  I don't think they would have. 

I think they may well have looked into trying to dump him due to the bad PR but may have found themselves without such a clear path to removing him if it hadn't involved a subordinate at the company. In that sense, it could have been even messier and he may have fought the decision more than he seems to be doing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/29/2022 at 9:34 PM, Blergh said:

AFAIC, Mickey D fans can HAVE all the McRibs they can chomp to their hearts' content!

I have ZERO interest in 'em- especially since I'm lucky enough to live in a good-sized Southeast US city loaded with plenty of mom-and-pop rib joints where they select the best freshest  pork and beef ribs possible THEN smoke, grill, barbecue, marinate and/or season them to the patrons' likings. Moreover, on the rare times I get a rib craving, I can drive just a few miles to them at any time of the year instead of waiting for a certain season for  the chain to unearth the assembly line concoctions.

Tell me you don't understand the point of a McRib in life without telling me you don't understand the point of a McRib in your life. ;)

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4

https://www.gawker.com/celebrity/cara-delevingne-and-margot-robbie-involved-in-confusing-incident-with-paparazzo

I don't know what to believe with this little information but random guys chasing celebrities is not normal just because they have cameras in hand. Are these photos really that interesting to anyone? (A celebrity calling photographers and then being photographed at a safe distance or photographers on the red carpet are different matters.)

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes I get the impression that the public and his business partners are reacting to two very different things. His fans seem to be reacting along the lines of "Wife guy's not such a wife guy after all--what a phony!" His business partners seem to be reacting much more along the lines of "Oh that dumb fuck of a business partner of mine decided to have an affair with a subordinate." 

I don't know that this would play out the same way if he'd been having an affair with some random person versus someone who worked for the company. I think the public reaction would have been the same either way since him cheating is what is news for most people, but the others in the video I watched talked about it very specifically in terms of HR and internal investigations.

I really doubt they'd have the leeway to dump him just because he was an asshole who cheated on his wife, even if they were appalled by the behavior or were displeased about the negative PR. But the fact he was cheating with someone else working there opens up questions about if favoritism and predatory power dynamics were at work, if other employees were put in an awkward position because of the affair, and if company property or funds were used as a means of conducting an affair. And that is much more in the realm of why you can dump a business partner than just he's a jerk who cheats on his wife. 

Yes, the fact that he was having an affair with a subordinate is an HR nightmare and I don't blame his colleagues for being upset about it.  It can also turn into a huge lawsuit and they may well have to fork over a large hunk of cash to make sure that doesn't happen.  

It seems like these guys were trying to run a modern business and trying to be as transparent and ethical as possible.  Having one of the partners hooking up with an employee is exactly the kind of stuff that can ruin their brand.  Not to mention cost them business.

54 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Sounds like the widower expects the movie to be a financial windfall.  I suppose a lot of people might want to see it just because of the tragedy.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Sounds like the widower expects the movie to be a financial windfall.  I suppose a lot of people might want to see it just because of the tragedy.

I was a little surprised they are going through with production. Granted the last I'd heard about it was in the wake of the shooting, when it would have been super tacky to talk about going forward, but even Baldwin was saying then that it would never see the light of day.

My understanding is it was a pretty low-budget Western that nobody had any real expectations for in its initial production phase, so I do think any decision to move forward is assuming people may now watch it out of morbid curiosity. I actually love Westerns, but it always would have been pretty low on my priority list to watch. 

I hope they made some changes to the safety procedures on set because the shooting was just basically a culmination of a lot of really dangerous behavior from what I've read. 

Edit: I am also now seeing people claiming that production has to finish for insurance to cover the lawsuits. Not sure if that's true, but that makes sense if it is. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I watched a few Try Guys videos and enjoyed them well enough. I had no idea that one of them cheating on his wife would have raised such a firestorm as it has.

A lot of Judgy McJudgersons out there. 😳

31 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was a little surprised they are going through with production. Granted the last I'd heard about it was in the wake of the shooting, when it would have been super tacky to talk about going forward, but even Baldwin was saying then that it would never see the light of day.

My understanding is it was a pretty low-budget Western that nobody had any real expectations for in its initial production phase, so I do think any decision to move forward is assuming people may now watch it out of morbid curiosity. I actually love Westerns, but it always would have been pretty low on my priority list to watch. 

I hope they made some changes to the safety procedures on set because the shooting was just basically a culmination of a lot of really dangerous behavior from what I've read. 

Edit: I am also now seeing people claiming that production has to finish for insurance to cover the lawsuits. Not sure if that's true, but that makes sense if it is. 

People are odd - I can’t even imagine wanting to watch this movie now.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

People are odd - I can’t even imagine wanting to watch this movie now.

Yes. I will not say I am above being a morbid weirdo because I am in fact a morbid weirdo, but I would still feel really uncomfortable watching it out of morbid curiosity. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

Yes, the fact that he was having an affair with a subordinate is an HR nightmare and I don't blame his colleagues for being upset about it.  It can also turn into a huge lawsuit and they may well have to fork over a large hunk of cash to make sure that doesn't happen.  

It seems like these guys were trying to run a modern business and trying to be as transparent and ethical as possible.  Having one of the partners hooking up with an employee is exactly the kind of stuff that can ruin their brand.  Not to mention cost them business.

Two things.  1) Why in hell would they proceed with this film?  What is clearly a financial decision amid all this sadness, loss, criminal charges and lawsuits is inexplicable to me.  2) Am I the only one who sees the widower agreeing to an EP role as part of a settlement, offputting at the least, and gross at the worst?  Is that his profession?  Even so, yuck.  Real classy Hollywood.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Two things.  1) Why in hell would they proceed with this film?  What is clearly a financial decision amid all this sadness, loss, criminal charges and lawsuits is inexplicable to me.  2) Am I the only one who sees the widower agreeing to an EP role as part of a settlement, offputting at the least, and gross at the worst?  Is that his profession?  Even so, yuck.  Real classy Hollywood.

That really doesn’t bother me that it is clearly a financial decision because there is no other compensation for the family. I imagine that her husband would know if she would want the film to go forward. Being an EP doesn’t mean he is going do anything for the movie. It’s probably just giving him a stake in the film. 

I don't think it's weird for people to want to still see the movie. What happened doesn't make me want to see it any more or less. That is to say, I don't want to see it because of what happened, but I also don't not want to see it because of what happened. I only think they should change the shot they were setting up for when he fired the gun.

I'm surprised that anyone involved in making it would want to proceed. (Although I realize people might not have a choice in the matter if they have contractual obligations.)

• Like 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't think it's weird for people to want to still see the movie. What happened doesn't make me want to see it any more or less. That is to say, I don't want to see it because of what happened, but I also don't not want to see it because of what happened. I only think they should change the shot they were setting up for when he fired the gun.

I'm surprised that anyone involved in making it would want to proceed. (Although I realize people might not have a choice in the matter if they have contractual obligations.)

I don't either. It just depends on the person. In this case I could never watch it because of the death. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I don't think it's wrong for others to watch it if they want to. Same with My Sister Sam after Rebecca Shaeffer's murder. For the longest time I couldn't watch Rizzoli & Isles because one of the characters I loved who played Detective Frost committed suicide. They did a good job dedicating an episode to his character's death. The acting from the cast was very raw and real which it probably was. But I got to the point where I can watch it and enjoy seeing the actor again. I can't explain why it's easier to watch some and not others. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

For the longest time I couldn't watch Rizzoli & Isles because one of the characters I loved who played Detective Frost committed suicide. They did a good job dedicating an episode to his character's death. The acting from the cast was very raw and real which it probably was. But I got to the point where I can watch it and enjoy seeing the actor again. 

Same for me. It upset me so much that I never did finish that show but I think I probably could now. 

It's just all a personal thing. Like how you can watch some things with a bad person and other things you just can't get past it. I'll sadly never be able to watch The Cosby Show again because of the "America's dad" thing whereas I can watch Kevin Spacey being a bad guy in Baby Driver. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, festivus said:

I'll sadly never be able to watch The Cosby Show again because of the "America's dad" thing whereas I can watch Kevin Spacey being a bad guy in Baby Driver. 

Yeah Cosby Show is on my never watch again list. I probably won't ever watch House of Cards again but if I'm watching a movie and Kevin Spacey pops up I probably won't turn it off.   Now if Spacey were to have new projects I would never watch them.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6
38 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah Cosby Show is on my never watch again list. I probably won't ever watch House of Cards again but if I'm watching a movie and Kevin Spacey pops up I probably won't turn it off.   Now if Spacey were to have new projects I would never watch them.  

It's always tricky, consuming media with hateful, problematic people. I don't judge anyone who does, because I sometimes do, too. For me, it helps if:

1. The person in question has been dead a long time (Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, etc.).

2. We don't actually see the person (Kevin Spacey in A Bug's Life).

3. The person plays a tormented character whose mistreatment is now extra hilarious in hindsight (OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun franchise).

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm not sure about this. Midnight Rider had a much more horrific "accident" due to supreme negligence and outright lies. Production was ended. However, IIRC, the insurance company still settled with Sarah Jones (the camera assistant who was killed) family.  

Edited by MissAlmond
6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

1. The person in question has been dead a long time (Charlie Chaplin, Errol Flynn, etc.).

I stopped listening to Michael Jackson for years.  Once he died I thought OK I can listen to him again.  But honestly I still feel kinda icky when I do.

7 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

3. The person plays a tormented character whose mistreatment is now extra hilarious in hindsight (OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun franchise).

I went to the theater to see the first Naked Gun.  Did one rewatch early 90s and did not watch it again until last year.  But like you said watching him get hurt in various ways was enjoyable. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

What did Errol Flynn do? I haven't seen any of his films so I'm not really familiar with him, except I know he played Robin Hood.

15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ll never forget Brandon Lee being killed (shot by a gun that was supposed to have blanks in it) on the set of the Crow. They finished that movie without him.  Similar to the Rust situation. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. I never really have trouble watching that movie because I love it. I do feel sadness though thinking of what could have been for Brandon. I probably won't see the Rust movie but that's only because I'm not really interested in the subject. I do think it should be put out though, it's up to each individual to decide if they want to see it or not. 

• Love 3

I don’t have any interest in seeing Rust, but her husband was quoted somewhere along the lines of wanting to finish it so that people could see her final work.  I guess I can understand that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

It's always tricky, consuming media with hateful, problematic people. I don't judge anyone who does, because I sometimes do, too. For me, it helps if:

2. We don't actually see the person (Kevin Spacey in A Bug's Life).

2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I stopped listening to Michael Jackson for years.  Once he died I thought OK I can listen to him again.  But honestly I still feel kinda icky when I do.

I went to the theater to see the first Naked Gun.  Did one rewatch early 90s and did not watch it again until last year.  But like you said watching him get hurt in various ways was enjoyable. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys watching OJ get hurt in the various ways in Naked Gun.

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ll never forget Brandon Lee being killed (shot by a gun that was supposed to have blanks in it) on the set of the Crow. They finished that movie without him.  Similar to the Rust situation. 

He was the first person I thought of when I heard about the Rust shooting. 

• Love 4

There was a TV series on at the time of The Crow about special effects in movies. Can't remember the name, but they did a whole episode on how the film was finished after his death. It was the first movie that computer mapped a face onto a stand-in. There's a scene where his character breaks a mirror and his reflection is in the shards, they had to digitally paint all of that in. The movie is full of efx shots that the audience doesn't notice because they tried to make as seamless as possible. At least at that time, viewers are much more savvy about picking that up now.

Still turn off Michael Jackson. And there are not one, but two theater productions currently playing. The Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson ONE in Las Vegas, and the Broadway show MJ: The Musical which won four Tonys including Best Actor in a Musical for Myles Frost playing the lead role. And it has a national tour scheduled next year. I'm not going to 1) pay over $100 to 2) enrich the estate of a pedophile. Sorry to all the actors involved but no.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

One good thing about the proliferation of decent covers. I think something like Glee has to pay for rights but all those people on youtube probably don't, even when they release the music on Spotify. (I might be wrong about that.)

I don't seek out his music but I won't turn it off or walk out of the Duane Reade. PYT is the one that's just... rough. Even if it's just the Kevin McHale version.

8 hours ago, Popples said:

What did Errol Flynn do? I haven't seen any of his films so I'm not really familiar with him, except I know he played Robin Hood.

Flynn was accused of statutory rape by two underage young women in the 40's.  Flynn was acquitted at trial.  The victims, who did not know each other, were involved in separate incidents about a year apart.  Flynn's attorney cross examined them and accused them of being predatory she-devils, chasing after older men with money.  He was able to dig up dirt on their other encounters with older men and even that one of them had had an illegal abortion.  It was pretty ugly.

“I don’t care if she has to be 18,” Flynn once said, “just as long as she looks and behaves like someone between, well, let’s say 14 and 16!”

There is also a fair amount of evidence that he didn't limit himself to just underage girls, he supposedly liked young boys,  too.

Flynn was well known for being a raging alcoholic and opium addict. 

At the time of his death, at age 50, he had a girlfriend who he supposedly started dating a few years earlier when she was just 15.

He was also well-known for his extreme right wing political views.  His anti-Semitism was reported by multiple coworkers who heard him go off on rants against the Jews, especially those who worked in Hollywood.  He also supposedly spied on behalf of Nazi Germany during the Spanish Civil War and turned in German socialists who fought against Franco, resulting in their being sent to concentration camps and Flynn openly admired Hitler on multiple occasions, especially for the way he dealt with the Jews.

Nice guy, huh?

Edited by Notabug
  • Mind Blown 9
  • Sad 11
  • Useful 3

As someone who hadn't even heard of the Try Guys until a few days ago, I feel like this sketch nails it.  I am Ego Nwodim here.

"I'm gonna be honest, Colin, I don't know what any of that is."

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

As someone who hadn't even heard of the Try Guys until a few days ago, I feel like this sketch nails it.  I am Ego Nwodim here.

Same.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

That was funny.

On a side note, I've not watched SNL in around 10 years, so I kept wondering when they acquired a cast member who is the spitting image of Brendan Gleeson. Before finally realizing that was in fact Brendan Gleeson and he was the host. 😂

• LOL 12
4 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Same!  And, thanks to that sketch, I now know what the hell the Try Guys do, at least (take videos of themselves trying things and post them to YouTube?).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

If they had kept it to that, I'd probably like it more because a lot of it worked.  But, as I said in the SNL thread, I don't like that SNL changed the circumstances of why the guys were mad and why the guy was fired.

If they don't care about the power dynamics at play between an owner and an employee, then just say so. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But, as I said in the SNL thread, I don't like that SNL changed the circumstances of why the guys were mad and why the guy was fired.

If they don't care about the power dynamics at play between an owner and an employee, then just say so. 

Good point, because, yeah, from the sketch it seemed like he made out with a "side piece" and didn't tell his buddies, but he actually had a prolonged affair with a subordinate and that's why he got fired?  For thus of us in Ego's role of not knowing who the hell any of these people are, "He's a Try Guy and she's a Food Baby" hardly explains the dynamic, and the it was consensual, so why was it bad? attitude dismisses it outright.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

If they had kept it to that, I'd probably like it more because a lot of it worked.  But, as I said in the SNL thread, I don't like that SNL changed the circumstances of why the guys were mad and why the guy was fired.

I agree and it’s particularly frustrating to see it boiled down in this manner when this is one of the few times an entertainment business got it right. They involved HR and lawyers. Their released video statement acknowledging that women in this type situation unfairly take the brunt of scrutiny. 

9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But, as I said in the SNL thread, I don't like that SNL changed the circumstances of why the guys were mad and why the guy was fired.

There's a reason for that.

One of the main writers of that sketch is a friend of Ned.  Listings of the writers for the sketches for the SNL episode confirm this.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

f they had kept it to that, I'd probably like it more because a lot of it worked.  But, as I said in the SNL thread, I don't like that SNL changed the circumstances of why the guys were mad and why the guy was fired.

Agreed.  I liked the spot and thought it was funny.  

I felt that the skewering wasn't so much the issue with the Try Guys and the more serious nature of the sex with a subordinate,  but the frenzy surrounding it so that it rose to the level of a CNN worthy breaking news when so many people had no clue who these guys were. That is where the absurdity came from.

But I do agree that if they had left off the 'side piece' part and maybe instead said something like "so this is an internal HR/MeToo issue?'  it wouldn't have erased our downplayed the most important part of the problem.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, WritinMan said:

T.J. Miller says he'll never work with Ryan Reynolds again

https://ew.com/movies/deadpool-3-tj-miller-will-never-work-with-ryan-reynolds-again/

Hate to break the news to you, dumbass, but Reynolds already made that decision for you a few years ago when Deadpool 2 came out.

Nice job trying to spin the story, though.

Yeah, well, guess what, T.J.? No one wants to work with your ass either, so I guess it all evens out.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
13 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Yeah, well, guess what, T.J.? No one wants to work with your ass either, so I guess it all evens out.

Haha I read this and I thought "is he serious?" I remembered the sexual assault allegations made against him but I had completely forgotten about the fake bomb threat he called in on an Amtrak train. 

• Mind Blown 12
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

T.J. Miller says he'll never work with Ryan Reynolds again

https://ew.com/movies/deadpool-3-tj-miller-will-never-work-with-ryan-reynolds-again/

Hate to break the news to you, dumbass, but Reynolds already made that decision for you a few years ago when Deadpool 2 came out.

Nice job trying to spin the story, though.

The irony of trying to criticize someone and instead making them look like a really good guy. 

ryan reynolds GIF

That was confusing. So this TJ guy thinks RR hates him because RR said something "mean" to him during a take, so, while they were both playing characters but TJ thinks it was Ryan saying it to him personally as a way to humiliate him? WTF? 

I can't imagine Ryan is going to be devastated over this loss. This TJ guy doesn't sound like someone I'd want to be around and I'm sure Ryan has plenty of other people who want to work with him so... Guess it will give TJ some relevance for a few minutes, so good for him I guess. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

. Guess it will give TJ some relevance for a few minutes, so good for him I guess.

His only miscalculation is that those of us who had no idea who he was and might have thought "oh jeeze not Ryan Reynolds he's one of the good guys" are instead reading up on who Miller is and what he's done.  The Internet has a long memory TJ!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 5
  • Love 3