Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

There really needs to be a discussion how many, including women, excuse and dismiss misogynistic men's rantings as nothing more than playing some sort of media character.

I know!  I've even seen people who think the things he says are vile but still thought he was just playing a "character" up until his actual arrest for human trafficking. So it's not like they were trying to argue that he was harmless but just unable to conceive of someone being so vile and that person having actual fans who buy into his BS--literally (he apparently has 100,000  "students" paying money every month to be a part of his school.)

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 6
12 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

There really needs to be a discussion how many, including women, excuse and dismiss misogynistic men's rantings as nothing more than playing some sort of media character.

The argument can be made that it's an extension of the fascination with "sexy" fictional characters who display this behavior. It might be better than it was, I have no idea, but there's a reason Penn Badgley has said repeatedly that Joe Goldberg, his character on You, is one of the worst people ever. The rallying cry is that it's a fantasy, that the people who are fans of Joe or any number of other fictional murdering stalkers would never want to be around such a person in real life, but where does the line fall between enjoying the character and ignoring their words and actions? Especially when the collective We take issue with the people who create the content in the first place? If we have problems with the folks who make stuff like this, why is it so popular?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I've read someone's take that it's the first criminal that Musk helped catch, even if unintentionally.

On 12/31/2022 at 3:45 PM, MissAlmond said:

Yes. Also, how many excuse it as someone just providing a role model for young men and boys who are apparently starved for some male role models who will talk to them about masculinity. If that is the case, I hope some normal, non-toxic people (celebrities, youtubers) will step up, because this growing trend of incels is scaring me.

• Like 14
19 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I've read someone's take that it's the first criminal that Musk helped catch, even if unintentionally.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:45 AM, MissAlmond said:

While it's probably not strictly true that he was caught because of his post on twitter what is definitely true is that thanks to his totally unsolicited  boastful bid for attention the whole world is now talking about him and his arrest.  Somehow I don't think that's why Musk let him back on twitter but hey, at least Musk did one good thing.

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Like 13
10 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yes. Also, how many excuse it as someone just providing a role model for young men and boys who are apparently starved for some male role models who will talk to them about masculinity. If that is the case, I hope some normal, non-toxic people (celebrities, youtubers) will step up, because this growing trend of incels is scaring me.

Before I throw Mr. Musk a ticker tape parade re helping catch Mr. Tate, I think it needs to be mentioned that Mr. Tate was evidently a known fugitive from justice who was believed by authorities to be a threat to women to say nothing of said authorities believing to have ample evidence that he HAD committed heinous acts against women for which they were trying to try him for.

OK, so with this latest New Millennial technology that could pinpoint (via pings,etc) a potential subscriber's location, what was stopping Mr. Musk from blowing the whistle on Mr. Tate to the local and international authorities  BEFORE Mr. Tate's taunt of Miss Thunberg?

And, yes, I TOTALLY agree that parents/guardians need to step up and watch EXACTLY what their minor sons (and daughters) are surfing to and have serious talks re-iterating exactly what's right and what's wrong and be willing to go toe-to-toe re who one considers a hero and what considers a fiend- even if it means one's minors get upset and claim to hate you for not daring to worship their purported heroes!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, so with this latest New Millennial technology that could pinpoint (via pings,etc) a potential subscriber's location, what was stopping Mr. Musk from blowing the whistle on Mr. Tate to the local and international authorities  BEFORE Mr. Tate's taunt of Miss Thunberg?

1.   Mr. "I Pay Other People to Built Rockets So Therefore I Am a Genius" would have to know he could do that.   Based on his actual behavior I don't think he does.

2.   He would have think what Tate did was wrong.   I don't think he does.  

13 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

If that is the case, I hope some normal, non-toxic people (celebrities, youtubers) will step up, because this growing trend of incels is scaring me.

Nice guys saying "Hey you know how you get laid?   Stop being a douchebag and think about someone else for a change" don't get the clicks.   Just like if it bleeds it leads, if it is being horrific to other people, it gets attention.   I'm sure nice guys actually outnumber incels.   But the incels are more vocal about it.   They WANT someone to validate that their asshole behavior is okay and its everyone who is the problem.

• Like 13
  • Sad 2
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jeremy Renner in critical, but stable condition after snow plow accident.

Didn't have a lot of details in the article, but it was near his home in Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe, NV. Sounds like he was plowing after a big storm.

From TMZ (gotta admit, they do get the story) - 

jeremy-renner-new-video-airlift-snowplow-accident-critical-condition

Most of these 'snow cat'-type machines are larger, and used for grooming ski resorts, but they do have smaller, compact versions, which is likely what he was using.

image.png.ef5a5929aa7b5d31b88e08aabf6b561e.png

image.png.586b3e0af157676f5e5b547833688eb1.png

Edit - Actually, the TMZ video shows a machine that I wouldn't necessarily call 'compact'!  Looks pretty friggin big to me, and closer to the size of the 2nd pic.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 8

Too many people using heavy equipment like that often think just because they have a driver's license, they can drive anything.  But the thousands of idiots that end up in the ER's every year disprove that. 

And a machine that has "extensive safety features" does NOT mean everybody is trained to operate it.  And if it ran over his legs, WTF was he doing?

Now, he may have been thoroughly trained on how to use it, but it sure doesn't sound that way.

Edited by leighdear
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

1.   Mr. "I Pay Other People to Built Rockets So Therefore I Am a Genius" would have to know he could do that.   Based on his actual behavior I don't think he does.

2.   He would have think what Tate did was wrong.   I don't think he does.  

Nice guys saying "Hey you know how you get laid?   Stop being a douchebag and think about someone else for a change" don't get the clicks.   Just like if it bleeds it leads, if it is being horrific to other people, it gets attention.   I'm sure nice guys actually outnumber incels.   But the incels are more vocal about it.   They WANT someone to validate that their asshole behavior is okay and its everyone who is the problem.

I used to work in a supermarket which had frequently updated lists of folks who'd passed bad checks (and this was decades BEFORE Twitter got invented) so I fail to see why Mr. Musk and/or his legal advisors wouldn't have been able to  put together lists of  known criminals for the tech teams to refuse service AND blow the whistle to the authorities!

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

From TMZ (gotta admit, they do get the story) - 

jeremy-renner-new-video-airlift-snowplow-accident-critical-condition

Most of these 'snow cat'-type machines are larger, and used for grooming ski resorts, but they do have smaller, compact versions, which is likely what he was using.

image.png.ef5a5929aa7b5d31b88e08aabf6b561e.png

image.png.586b3e0af157676f5e5b547833688eb1.png

Edit - Actually, the TMZ video shows a machine that I wouldn't necessarily call 'compact'!  Looks pretty friggin big to me, and closer to the size of the 2nd pic.

Sue on Life Below Zero has the one in the top photo. She calls it Big Red.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Because he doesn't WANT to.    He AGREES with these horrible people.   He is free speech for horrible people while cutting off accounts for journalists because they didn't kiss his ass enough.

I was trying to avoid cynically spelling that out but my whole point has  been that Mr. Musk left it to Miss Thunberg herself to blow the whistle rather than attempting to use the resources his tech team had at hand to aid the authorities. IMO, all the more reason to hold off crediting him for ANY part of Mr. Tate's bust!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
50 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Too many people using heavy equipment like that often think just because they have a driver's license, they can drive anything.  But the thousands of idiots that end up in the ER's every year disprove that. 

I was one of maybe three people in my driver’s ed class (many years ago) who had never been behind the wheel.  The number of kids who said, “Oh, my grandparents/aunts/uncles/family own a farm, and I’ve been driving a tractor since I was 9 or 10 and tall enough to reach the pedals” astounded me.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Because he doesn't WANT to.    He AGREES with these horrible people.   He is free speech for horrible people while cutting off accounts for journalists because they didn't kiss his ass enough.

I miss the days when gross people didn't have platforms for their gross beliefs.

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

And a machine that has "extensive safety features" does NOT mean everybody is trained to operate it.  And if it ran over his legs, WTF was he doing?

Now, he may have been thoroughly trained on how to use it, but it sure doesn't sound that way.

According to some photos on his Instagram of the machine, it's not a machine he just purchased; he's been shown to driving it for years, as recently as 2019 but probably longer (Edit: I found a photo of a different Snowcat he was driving in 2017 so it's likely he's been extensively trained in driving it). Maybe he got a newer model that malfunctioned or maybe the one he's had for years malfunctioned, or it was just simply bad luck, but I think that it leans more toward it being an unfortunate accident, rather than pure human error due to lack of knowledge on how to use it. If you've been operating a machine like that for, at minimum, 6 years, you know what you're doing. He's also shown to have driven different types of heavy machinery due to the large property he owns. 

Either way, it's good he's at least stable for now, and hopefully it's just good news from here, although being run over by a Snowcat is going to be, at best, a long recovery ahead for him. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 6
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I was trying to avoid cynically spelling that out but my whole point has  been that Mr. Musk left it to Miss Thunberg herself to blow the whistle

I would add that Tate's decision to go after Greta and not, say, Jojo Siwa*, is what led to something being done. Agree with her or don't agree with her about climate change, Thunberg decided to take this idiot seriously when he said 'please send me your email address so I can brag about my cars' either not having heard of him or even thinking he wouldn't actually do it. Because.....why? If he knew he was wanted by the authorities, and he must have or else he wouldn't have been trying to hide, why reach out to a nineteen year old girl who has already proven herself to be civic-minded? Someone else might have blown it off, but she didn't. He messed with the wrong teenager, and that's kind of beautiful.

*Nothing against Miss Siwa, I was just using another young celebrity as an example.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
50 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would add that Tate's decision to go after Greta and not, say, Jojo Siwa*, is what led to something being done.

There is a European organization caked GRETA for the Group of Experts on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings

GRETA is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings by the Parties.

Someone on twitter suggested that it was this organization that was going after Tate but he misunderstood and thought that it was Greta Thunberg instead and decided to engage her.

If so, it would make the irony of the whole situation even more delicious.

• Like 8
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1
56 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

There is a European organization caked GRETA for the Group of Experts on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings

Someone on twitter suggested that it was this organization that was going after Tate but he misunderstood and thought that it was Greta Thunberg instead and decided to engage her.

That would be so awesome, I really hope it's true.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Ok, that would be hysterical if that is the case.

But... is... GRETA supposed to be an acronym for the full name of the organization (based on the capitalized letters)?  Cuz it doesn't quit work. I keep getting GEATHB? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Unlikely. He was showing off his vehicle collection, and how dirty they are. He meant to target an environmental activist.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, merylinkid said:

EXACTLY.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would add that Tate's decision to go after Greta and not, say, Jojo Siwa*, is what led to something being done. Agree with her or don't agree with her about climate change, Thunberg decided to take this idiot seriously when he said 'please send me your email address so I can brag about my cars' either not having heard of him or even thinking he wouldn't actually do it. Because.....why? If he knew he was wanted by the authorities, and he must have or else he wouldn't have been trying to hide, why reach out to a nineteen year old girl who has already proven herself to be civic-minded? Someone else might have blown it off, but she didn't. He messed with the wrong teenager, and that's kind of beautiful.

*Nothing against Miss Siwa, I was just using another young celebrity as an example.

Did she take him seriously? I don't think her email address is actually smalldickenergy@getalife.com. She was blowing him off. He just refused to be blown off.

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

IMO, all the more reason to hold off crediting him for ANY part of Mr. Tate's bust!

I don’t think that anyone is actually giving him credit. I though that they were pointing out the irony that Musk’s actions to horrible people actually resulted in one being caught. 

12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

If so he got caught because he is a double moron.   Choosing to poke the bear and THEN broadcasting his location for all the world to see.  I hope he rots in a Romanian prison.

• Applause 12

Jesus.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/damar-hamlin-collapse-buffalo-bills-football/

I don't really follow football except for the college side of things, but it seems like Hamlin tackled another player hard enough to give himself a heart attack. He was given CPR for ten minutes to get his heart going again, and is now sedated at UC Medical Center. His Chasin' M's Foundation, which purchases toys for  children in need, got an influx of donation in the hours following the hospitalization in support of the young player.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Jesus.

I don't really follow football except for the college side of things, but it seems like Hamlin tackled another player hard enough to give himself a heart attack. He was given CPR for ten minutes to get his heart going again, and is now sedated at UC Medical Center. His Chasin' M's Foundation, which purchases toys for  children in need, got an influx of donation in the hours following the hospitalization in support of the young player.

His Go Fund Me went from a balance of about $10,000 pre-game to over $4 million as of noon today.  It was originally set up to provide toys at Christmas for underprivileged kids; it can do a whole lot more than that now.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, aradia22 said:

https://www.justjared.com/2023/01/02/stalker-breaks-into-youtuber-jenna-marbles-home-after-months-of-harassing-star-husband-julien-solomita/

Yikes. Jenna hasn't been an internet presence for a while but I saw that post of their wedding announcement. Just let them live in peace.

I respect Jenna so much for looking around, realizing she has banked enough money from YouTube to live a comfortable life, and cashing out to do something else. I really wish her the best. She encapsulated Millennial post-graduation angst humor so well.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, DearEvette said:

But... is... GRETA supposed to be an acronym for the full name of the organization (based on the capitalized letters)?  Cuz it doesn't quit work. I keep getting GEATHB? 

Technically yes. But sometimes people fudge acronyms to make them easier to say and type.

12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Tate was actually banned on Twitter since 2017. Until Musk took over and let a whole bunch of evil fuckers back on.

Freedom of speech baby!

Musk also banned a lot of people for doxxing, so it's delicious that Tate doxxed himself.

No one would believe it if you made this stuff up.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Technically yes. But sometimes people fudge acronyms to make them easier to say and type.

Freedom of speech baby!

Musk also banned a lot of people for doxxing, so it's delicious that Tate doxxed himself.

My librarian ass has been laughing at Elon's definition of doxxing these last few weeks.  I guess Elon assumed his wealth would afford him more protection than the rest of the masses when it in fact does not.  We are all equal in the various publicly available databases created by the federal, state and local governments.  

I also subscribe to the theory floating around on Twitter that Elon bought it so he could rid it of this picture--

image.thumb.png.ff822e3e475a5a54f427a4bd1df22096.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 23
3 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Freedom of speech baby!

It wasn’t “doxxing” 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

My librarian ass has been laughing at Elon's definition of doxxing these last few weeks.  I guess Elon assumed his wealth would afford him more protection than the rest of the masses when it in fact does not.  We are all equal in the various publicly available databases created by the federal, state and local governments.  

I also subscribe to the theory floating around on Twitter that Elon bought it so he could rid it of this picture--

image.thumb.png.ff822e3e475a5a54f427a4bd1df22096.png

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Jesus.

This is so scary. I saw clips online of his teammates - everyone just walking around in shock, it was heartbreaking. I feel bad for his family, too, having to witness that. 

Sending all the good thoughts imaginable out to Hamlin. Here's to hoping he pulls through okay. 

6 hours ago, Notabug said:

His Go Fund Me went from a balance of about $10,000 pre-game to over $4 million as of noon today.  It was originally set up to provide toys at Christmas for underprivileged kids; it can do a whole lot more than that now.

That's really cool :). It's also been touching to see the Bengals and their fans, and the NFL teams in general, sending their support. 

Good to hear that Renner's recovering, too. Hope for a good outcome for him as well. 

• Like 8

Martina Navratilova diagnosed with throat and breast cancer

Tennis great Martina Navratilova said Monday that she has been diagnosed with throat cancer and breast cancer.

In a statement released by her representative, the 18-time Grand Slam singles champion and member of the International Tennis Hall of Fame said her prognosis is good and she will start treatment this month.

“This double whammy is serious but still fixable, and I’m hoping for a favourable outcome,” the 66-year-old Navratilova said. “It’s going to stink for a while but I’ll fight with all have I got.”

She said she noticed an enlarged lymph node in her neck while attending the season-ending WTA Finals in Fort Worth, Texas, in November, and a biopsy showed early-stage throat cancer. While Navratilova was undergoing tests on her throat, she said, the unrelated, early-stage breast cancer was discovered.

Floods of messages of support poured in on social media when the news broke - including from former another World No.1 American Bille Jean-King.

“Needless to say my phone and Twitter are both blowing up so I will say again - thank you all for your support and I am not done yet,” she tweeted Monday.

I hope she beats it.

• Like 6
  • Sad 7
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Sending healing energy towards Damar Hamlin. 

• Like 10
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

This is so scary. I saw clips online of his teammates - everyone just walking around in shock, it was heartbreaking. I feel bad for his family, too, having to witness that. 

Sending all the good thoughts imaginable out to Hamlin. Here's to hoping he pulls through okay. 

That's really cool :). It's also been touching to see the Bengals and their fans, and the NFL teams in general, sending their support. 

The Bengals fans and players were just paying the Bills and Bills Mafia back for what they did back in 2017.  Back then, the Bengals beat the Ravens which then put the Bills into the playoffs, and the Bills Mafia thanked them by donating thousands to various Bengals charities including Andy Dalton's personal one.  I saw online where Andy returned the favor even though he's now with the Saints and donated to Damar's charity.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Bengals fans and players were just paying the Bills and Bills Mafia back for what they did back in 2017.  Back then, the Bengals beat the Ravens which then put the Bills into the playoffs, and the Bills Mafia thanked them by donating thousands to various Bengals charities including Andy Dalton's personal one.  I saw online where Andy returned the favor even though he's now with the Saints and donated to Damar's charity.  

Damar's Chasing M's Foundation has now received more than $6 million in donations since Monday night.

A lot of current and former NFL players including Tom Brady and Brian Hoyer, have made donations.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 4

I remember this story was a hot topic here a while ago, here's an update:

'Rick Singer, head of the college admissions bribery scandal, gets 42 months in prison'

Rick Singer, the man behind the notorious "Varsity Blues" college admissions bribery scandal, was sentenced Wednesday to 3 1/2 years in prison and ordered to pay more than $19 million — about half as restitution to the IRS and the other half as forfeitures of money and assets.

In addition to the prison sentence, Singer also must serve three years of supervised release.

The sentence is less than the six years prosecutors had sought for the 62-year-old Singer. The defense, on the other hand, called for little to no prison time.

Singer's lawyers claim he already lost everything after the scandal came to light in March 2019 in Boston. In court filings, Singer also pleaded for leniency, saying he has "woken up every day feeling shame, remorse, and regret."

About two-thirds of the more than 50 Varsity Blues defendants were sentenced to three months or less of prison time, with many serving no time at all.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Osbourne and the Slipknot DJ are new parents to a baby boy named Sidney, her mom announced during an appearance on Britain’s “The Talk” on Tuesday.

And Kelly is pissed about it

Kelly Osbourne seemingly shades mom Sharon for talking about her son on TV

One day after the proud grandma’s appearance on the talk show, Kelly told her Instagram followers Wednesday that she is “not ready” to share her infant “with the world.”

The new mom, 38, wrote on her Story, “It’s no one’s place but mine to share any information on my baby.”

• Like 2
  • Applause 2