Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Will Smith is damned lucky that Chris Rock didn't want to press charges.

Because of a slap? Between two rich dudes? Smith would have never had any jail time even if Rock did press charges. Whether it's right or not, it would just make Rock look petty; and Smith is still getting dragged as it is. No need to extend this incident longer than necessary, when it's already overblown. Rock will get his dividends when he works it into his stand-up.

• Love 13

I think JoJo looks great with short hair.  Good for her.

I understand that no matter how audience members might feel about The Slap, the Academy had to do something to show it's simply not okay to get onstage and assault people, but ten years seems excessive to me.  That's just my opinion.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

He physically assaulted someone onstage during the internationally televised Academy Awards ceremony.  I'd say 10 years is about right. 

FTFY. Even if he did it during a commercial break & it wasn't televised, he deserves to be banned. Since he's no longer a member of the academy, does this mean he can be nominated/win an award?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

I’m aware. I saw it happen live.

Why? The Oscar was for the quality of his performance in King Richard, not for the quality of his slapping Chris Rock.

I still think ten years is ridiculous. Three to five? Sure. But ten? Ridiculous.

I’ll say the Oscar is not given based on the integrity or the actor being above reproach.  If that were the case there’d be whole hell of a lot of actors who’d not have an Oscar. I agree, taking his Oscar away would be over the top as that was earned due to his performance in King Richard. 

Regarding the ban, I don’t know. Upon first hearing it I thought it was too much but then after thinking about it I’m a little surprised he wasn’t permanently banned. I just think about regular everyday folks who’ve acted out at local establishments and how they’ve been banned forever from said establishment due to their behavior. So I don’t think it’s over the top to ban him for 10 years. 

• Love 24
39 minutes ago, Anduin said:

If they want to ban people for violence, how about they also ban people for offensive 'jokes'? Chris Rock should be out for at least eleven years.

If they ban people for offensive jokes, there wouldn't be an Oscar show.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

If they ban people for offensive jokes, there wouldn't be an Oscar show.

From what other people said, even beforehand, there wasn't even much of one this year. I'm quite happy to do away with a self-indulgent circle of back-patting. Get rid of all award ceremonies while you're at it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Eh 10 years doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.  He’s young.

He's 53?  He's part of Hollywood.  53 is like 83 in Hollywood years.  It's not like he's going to be working the same amount when he's 63+.

• Love 7

Whatever punishment the academy put out against Will Smith is nothing compared to the self inflicted pr damage he caused for himself. 

Will is probably not fully aware that there is a small but vocal section of the community that dislike him. Some of them it's Scientology fear, some of them just don't like him, and some it's racism because they don't like that Will doesn't fit into their narrow definition of what a black person should be and act like in society. By responding with violence Will has made the "I hate will smith" club a little bigger.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I think 10 years is fine, and I think he should never have been allowed to accept the Oscar after violating the Academy's standards during its own awards ceremony.  And the producer who allowed Smith to stay was completely wrong to do so.

I agree. The slap and the bellowing afterwards "keep my wife's name out of your f**cking mouth" was reprehensible and the Academy should have removed him afterwards. The comments that I've seen (not just here) that have been applauding him are ridiculous. You can't just assault people when they make you angry without consequences no matter what is being said. He has his millions and his Oscar; he'll be ok. 

3 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I feel strongly that Will should have been asked to leave then and there, and when he won the Oscar, I would have cheered on anyone who said "Will Smith won, but he can't accept his Oscar onstage because..."  No way should he have been smugly sitting in his seat and accepting an award with a freaking standing ovation just a few minutes later.  I could not believe what I was seeing.  Having previously been a fan, I will never look at Will the same or seek out his work (haven't liked Jada for years -- her personality and oversharing grates on me to no end).

Agree so much with this post.

• Love 19
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

He's 53?  He's part of Hollywood.  53 is like 83 in Hollywood years.  It's not like he's going to be working the same amount when he's 63+.

The main reason Will Smith works as much as he does is because he got into producing relatively early in his career. He has had his own production company for over 20 years and has helped developed most, if not all, of his significant projects made in that time. He may need to lay low for a little while but he will continue to be in high profile projects for a long time. 

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, GaT said:

FTFY. Even if he did it during a commercial break & it wasn't televised, he deserves to be banned. Since he's no longer a member of the academy, does this mean he can be nominated/win an award?

No, you do not have to be a member of the Academy to be nominated or win.  As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure you have to be nominated first before you can join the Academy, at least for actors anyway.  The Academy didn't say Smith couldn't be nominated, just that he couldn't attend the ceremony for the next 10 years.  It sounds fair enough to me.  If he should be nominated or win during that time, he won't be able to attend in person.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5

Will Smith will never win another Oscar or even be nominated for one. Not even in the role as a producer. He embarrassed the academy and made a mockery of their show with his actions.

• Love 8

Eh 10 years doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me.  He’s young.

Yeah, there's a good argument that his prime movie star years are in the past, though Aladdin gave him a boost. But if you think about his Oscar bait movies (Concussion, Collateral Beauty, Seven Pounds, The Pursuit of Happyness) I don't think there was a clear path for him to make successful prestige movies as an older actor the way Denzel has. 10 years is going to hurt unless he somehow shifts into a Morgan Freeman phase but I think he's too invested in looking somewhat young and believable as an action star for that. Not as much as like Dwayne Johnson (who is 49) but it'd be like thinking Ryan Reynolds (now 45) is suddenly going to be taking J.K. Simmons roles when he turns 60. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

The Academy didn't say Smith couldn't be nominated, just that he couldn't attend the ceremony for the next 10 years. 

Right.  And the Academy didn't say Smith is no longer a member; he'd already resigned his membership almost a week ago and said he'd accept any additional consequences the board deemed appropriate.  Not being a member means not voting on nominees, it doesn't mean being ineligible for nomination (as you noted, actors generally become members by being nominated/winning).  They decided the consequence was banning him from attendance at the Oscar ceremony or any other Academy event for ten years. 

So, yeah, he can be nominated, and win, based on his work, but he can't attend the ceremony, based on his behavior there this year. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Columbo said:

Will Smith will never win another Oscar or even be nominated for one. Not even in the role as a producer. He embarrassed the academy and made a mockery of their show with his actions.

Louis C.K. just won a Grammy.  The Oscars are Hollywood.  They love a comeback story, especially if he and Chris Rock put things in the past in some public way.

• Love 4

Since show business is full of couples who stay together for the sake of their brand I suggest Ben and JLo join their ranks. Present their relationship as each other's Forever and be done with it. No drama, no breaking up, just show up to various events in fancy outfits and give each other heart eyes. Let the reality show people and influencers be the source of tabloid drama going forward.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Louis C.K. just won a Grammy.  The Oscars are Hollywood.  They love a comeback story, especially if he and Chris Rock put things in the past in some public way.

If Louis C.K. started masturbating at the Grammys I'd agree with you.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am really not getting why people find forms of violence okay and acceptable as long as they don't have to witness them during an awards ceremony.

Unfortunately and sadly, we live in a violent country these days. The people that are okay with violence just view the incident similar to a violent video game. The are so desensitized to violence...to the point that some don't even understand that the "slap" was/is a crime!

• Love 5

No, I am on the side of thinking that 10 years is too long of a punishment for a slap when so many other actors who are lauded at awards ceremonies have done way worse, but because those acts didn't happen at awards ceremonies and broadcasted, people are comfortable with pretending they didn't happen.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, I am on the side of thinking that 10 years is too long of a punishment for a slap when so many other actors who are lauded at awards ceremonies have done way worse, but because those acts didn't happen at awards ceremonies and broadcasted, people are comfortable with pretending they didn't happen.

Well, it was more than just a "slap". WS was also verbally abusive on a national TV show. All the while showing no remorse for his actions to CR during his acceptance speech.

So, IMO, the time frame works...and the academy needs to send a LOUD message that this type of behavior is unacceptable.

• Love 9
(edited)

Yeah, they're being hypocritical in my opinion.

Just off the top of my head, Casey Affleck has admitted culpability in his sexual harassment charges and he just won Best Actor a few years ago.  He came to accept the award when he was right in the middle of those allegations.  Nobody would ban someone like that, but they'd ban Will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Affleck#Sexual_harassment_allegations

Anthony Anderson is always popping up at awards shows and presenting, and he has several sexual assault allegations brought against him.  He is never ever banned from anything; in fact, he just seems to be getting more and more famous and accepted by Hollywood with every passing year.

So, for the most part, as long as violence happens behind closed doors, there's no punishment.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 18

Its equivalent to a slap on the wrist (no pun intended). He doesn't get to attend the Oscars ceremony or any member-only event for 10 years. Boo hoo, like it means anything in practical terms. He can easily ignore it. Like I said before, his projects getting paused or cancelled are the only real punishment he will suffer. And that probably will only last about a year.

• Love 4

I think a ten year ban is more than appropriate for what Will Smith did. Yes, it doesn't absolve the Academy for the other head-scratching decisions they made (both that night and in general) and yes, it looks extreme but it does send a message that what Smith did, embarrassing the Awards Ceremony like he did, is not acceptable. No way should the Academy "go easy" on him after what he did.

For what it's worth, technically there is nothing stopping the Los Angeles County District Attorney from pressing charges against Smith. When it comes to criminal charges- like assault- it's not up to the victim whether or not to file charges, that decision rests with the DA alone. That's because, in our legal system, we make a distinction between civil matters (matters that are really between two individual parties) and criminal matters, which are matters deemed serious enough that the state has to get involved against the individual. Thus, a criminal case is not, technically, a matter between two individuals but the state against the individual. Whether or not the victim wants charges pressed is immaterial- the state alone, through the DA, makes that sole decision.

(Side note- if we were in the Roman Empire then the decision to press charges really would rest with the victim, because the Romans viewed every matter essentially as a civil matter. So if this happened at the great Roman Amphitheatre it totally would be up to Chris Rock if he wanted to file charges...but then he'd also have to bring in his lawyer, arrange for the court date, pay the court fees, collect all the evidence and have his lawyer state his case before the magistrate...no small task)

Now, if the victim expresses a desire not to press charges, the DA usually- but not always- will follow through on that request. This is because the only reason why the DA would file charges in the first place would be if the DA believes they can prove the charges "beyond a reasonable doubt", and a victim that does not want charges pressed likely means they won't co-operate with the DA in the investigation. Meaning it becomes that much harder for the DA to prove their case, since not having the victim's co-operation means they won't be available as a witness and, as far as witnesses go, no one is better than the victim themselves.

So...absent the victim's co-operation the case becomes harder to prove and, in many cases, the DA may simply decide it's just too hard to prove so they won't even bother.

Is that what will happen in this case? The Wrap quotes a legal expert who says "a slap is not a felony" so, at most, Smith would be liable for a misdemeanor charge. I'm not sure I would agree that a slap can't be a felony but The Wrap is quoting a former federal prosecutor, so I'll default to him since he knows more about this topic than I do. The expert, Neama Rahmani, explains that just the fact that it was recorded live on TV doesn't make it a shoo-in that charges will get filed. Which might be surprising...I'm guessing that pesky standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" rears its ugly head here for some reason.

Of course, Rahmani also says that this is a high profile case and "we can't have people slapping each other" so the state may still want to make an example out of Smith, even if, inevitably, all Smith would eventually get is a conditional discharge. The punishment may not fit the crime, but the message is still sent.

So, I guess we'll see.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I am really not getting why people find forms of violence okay and acceptable as long as they don't have to witness them during an awards ceremony.

Because it's irrelevant to the Will Smith situation. The academy had to act because it happened during their award show. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

So, for the most part, as long as violence happens behind closed doors, there's no punishment.  

From the Oscars?  There shouldn't be.  They're not in charge of the entire world. They're in charge of what happens at their events and that's it.

• Love 18
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think it would end him but his wealth might not have been enough to keep him out of jail either.

For an open handed slap with no previous criminal record?   It doesn't matter in criminal law it happened live in front of an international audience.   For that kind of assault, he gets probation.   He might even get probation before judgment which would mean its erased if he stays out of trouble.   The court system has incredibly backlogged, they don't have time to throw the book at someone for something like this.

10 years is a bit long too.   But I agree with @Crs97, we will see him back in a couple of years after he has been "rehabilitated."   Hollywood loves a good redemption story.   If the ban had been only a couple years, they couldn't do that.   10 looks like they are serious but gives them PLENTY of room to bring him back when they feel like.   Especially if he gets nominated again.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

For that kind of assault, he gets probation.   He might even get probation before judgment which would mean its erased if he stays out of trouble.

If we had gotten to charges, I would have predicted Court-ordered anger management class.

5 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

10 looks like they are serious but gives them PLENTY of room to bring him back when they feel like.   Especially if he gets nominated again.

And the comedian will make a joke about Will not sitting in the very front row so he has farther to walk.

• Love 4

So glad that JoJo has released her tight hair.  It looked painful.  That tight tension can  cause hair loss. I’m surprised it hasn’t already happened.  She seems to really like it.  

• Love 13
(edited)
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Exactly. Of course the academy had to address the Will Smith debacle because it happened on stage at their ceremony. No one is denying that. The point that myself and others are making is that other actors, directors, producers, etc…have engaged in behavior that breaks their rules and/or is criminal, and they are still able to attend and/or be nominated for awards. In addition, people keep emphasizing the “LIVE ON TV” aspect, which makes it seems as though they’re saying the most condemnable part of the slap is that it happened on TV and not offstage. Finally, as far the idea of “the Academy can’t police the world,” PLENTY of people have been fired, suspended, or banned from jobs and events due to actions that have taken place outside of “the job,” so yes, the Academy can address behavior that happens off stage.

ETA: I also think the Academy felt hamstrung since Will had already resigned from the Academy, so they couldn’t give that out as a punishment. They overcorrected, IMO.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

If we had gotten to charges, I would have predicted Court-ordered anger management class.

That's all he should get for what happened IMO.  Unless he has a history of violent behavior which would be taken into consideration that's the logical consequence for what he did.

Smith was wrong, he behaved badly but at the end of the day it was a slap.  He was never going to go to jail for that - even if he wasn't rich and famous jail time would be extremely unlikely to happen.

I'm not sure what those who are unhappy with the 10 year ban actually would have wanted.  I guess taking away his Oscar.  But even that doesn't seem like an action that would have satisfied most who feel he has somehow gotten away with something.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, SusanM said:

That's all he should get for what happened IMO.  Unless he has a history of violent behavior which would be taken into consideration that's the logical consequence for what he did.

Smith was wrong, he behaved badly but at the end of the day it was a slap.  He was never going to go to jail for that - even if he wasn't rich and famous jail time would be extremely unlikely to happen.

I'm not sure what those who are unhappy with the 10 year ban actually would have wanted.  I guess taking away his Oscar.  But even that doesn't seem like an action that would have satisfied most who feel he has somehow gotten away with something.

I don't think he should go to jail.   I do think the 10 yr ban is fair.  The troubling thing for me isn't the slap itself but that he thought he could go up there and do that and then just sit right back down and nothing would happen to him.  The fact that nothing did happen to him that night is also troubling.  He was so nonplussed that he had just assaulted someone in front of hundreds of people in person and millions watching. He did need to be punished.  I'm not worried about another acting doing this at an award show.   I'm worried about someone doing it where there aren't cameras and it is more than a slap.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Pickles Aplenty said:

Congrats to Jen and Ben, Part Deaux.  I hope they make it this time.  I think I might be the only one rooting for them.

No, I’m rooting for them, too. Sometimes, timing is everything. They both have the children they wanted, and their lives happened to come together again. I think it’s nice; sometimes second chances do happen. Congrats to them. I don’t think anyone has a justifiable reason to root against them, IMO.

• Love 11
(edited)

Jussie Smollett has dropped a new song called “Thank You God” to once again proclaim his innocence. “This ain’t that situation / You think I’m stupid enough to kill my reputation?” he asks listeners. The former Empire actor was previously found guilty of staging a hate crime against himself and sentenced to 150 days in county jail, though he was released from custody last month while he appeals his conviction. “Channeling these thoughts the best way I know how. Love you,” Smollett wrote in an Instagram clip of the emotional new track. According to Smollett, all profits will go to the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, the Illinois Innocence Project, and Secure the Bag Safety. In the song, he thanks God for showing him his enemies and suggests that his court case has become a “distraction” and a “political show.” “It’s like they’re hell-bent on not solving the crime / Taking out the elements of race and trans and homophobia that’s straight taking lives,” he declares. “But turn around and act like I’m the one that killed the strides.” Later in the song, he thanks those who have continued to support him. Several celebrities have criticized Smollett’s punishment as excessive.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/04/jussie-smollett-proclaims-innocence-new-song-thank-you-god.html

Uh oh. He just... will not stop

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It's because it happened at the Oscars.  It's not just because it happened on TV. I liken it to professional conferences I've been to where there's a code of conduct for attendance at that event.  They've become quite popular lately. 

Those conferences don't go back and look at everyone's criminal history or all the accusations levied against them.  The code of conduct does state, however, that action will be taken for things that happen at the event/conference.  They have a duty to protect the attendees and presenters. 

It's not about whether or not there are worse people in the world or even in attendance. It's about the fact that an attendee attacked a presenter at what is akin to the main conference event so of course organizers of that conference have to do something. 

• Love 22
(edited)

I’m a longtime Hayden fan, so I was disturbed when I saw this.  So, she’s still involved with her ex-boyfriend, who was found guilty of domestic violence against her.  It seems she is intent on putting that behind her.  He on the other hand, seems to continue with violent situations.  The People article tells her side of it, but watching the actual video on TMZ clips……I’m not so sure about that.  It was a terribly, violent incident and Hayden seemed very intoxicated too.  I hope there are people around her to offer some support for her to get some help, especially since she has a 7 year-old child.  

https://people.com/tv/hayden-panettiere-okay-after-physical-fight-involving-brian-hickerson/

There are 2 clips here.  It’s a confusing scene, but seemed both sides intent on fighting.  
https://www.tmz.com/2022/04/09/hayden-panettiere-boyfriend-brian-hickerson-bar-brawl-could-violate-probation/

Edited by SunnyBeBe