Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

My possibly UO is that I don’t care enough about Hilaria to be outraged that she calls herself Spanish.  If she picked a cultural identity that is typically persecuted or has a history of oppression, I would be furious.  If she were conning people out of money, I’d be livid.  In this case, she reminds me of Madonna affecting a British accent when she was with Guy Ritchie.  I can’t summon more emotion than a sigh and eye roll.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My possibly UO is that I don’t care enough about Hilaria to be outraged that she calls herself Spanish.

I'm not outraged, just slightly curious as it is such an odd thing to do. I would understand if she was born in America to American parents but then they immigrated to Spain and she grew up in Spain, she might feel she's more Spanish than American, but from what I understand, that is not the case, she just wants to be...what? Is this her attempt to be in some way exotic? To be interesting because she's otherwise incredibly dull? Is she just a nutter?

When people make decisions like this, to which I can't quite understand what they gain from it, I am curious. It would make far more sense to me if she were getting some kind of financial gain from it, or if it was some publicity stunt to sell a book or something, but for now it just seems incredibly random and since it's so easy to disprove, it's just bizarre. 

As to cultural fluidity WTF even is that? Culture isn't something you are. I'm American, but that's not my culture, that's my Nationality and that can't be changed if we're talking the Nationality you were born to. I can't decide one day that I was born in Scotland, no matter how many times I wear a kilt and eat haggis. 

She's just a freaking nutter. 

• Love 19
32 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

When people make decisions like this, to which I can't quite understand what they gain from it, I am curious. It would make far more sense to me if she were getting some kind of financial gain from it, or if it was some publicity stunt to sell a book or something, but for now it just seems incredibly random and since it's so easy to disprove, it's just bizarre.

She is profiting off of it. She is an influencer. She is attempting to build a wellness brand. She was a correspondent on Extra, has a book, a yoga dvd, deals with brands, talk show appearances and she just started a podcast. 

16 minutes ago, Dani said:

She is profiting off of it. She is an influencer. She is attempting to build a wellness brand. She was a correspondent on Extra, has a book, a yoga dvd, deals with brands, talk show appearances and she just started a podcast. 

But how does pretending to be Spanish benefit any of that? Is she targeting a Spanish audience? Is she pretending to have some deep knowledge of some Spanish specific yoga moves? I can maybe see how this is getting her talk show appearance, since people will want to point and laugh, but is this really just about getting her name out there? And are people really stupid enough to do her yoga or by her book because she pretended to be Spanish? Have we really devolved so far down as a society that any name recognition will gain you fans?

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

But how does pretending to be Spanish benefit any of that? Is she targeting a Spanish audience? Is she pretending to have some deep knowledge of some Spanish specific yoga moves? I can maybe see how this is getting her talk show appearance, since people will want to point and laugh, but is this really just about getting her name out there? And are people really stupid enough to do her yoga or by her book because she pretended to be Spanish?

The DVD and book probably don’t make her that much money. Influencers make money by having followers. Ironically the reason why it helped is because it made her appear more authentic and relatable. Rich, white Hillary from Massachusetts who married Alec Baldwin isn’t particularly interesting or relatable and the space is already filled. But being an immigrant instantly makes her appear to be more authentic. Of course, she can’t be too ethnic. She gives the appearance of being diverse but in a safe way that companies like. 

Have we really devolved so far down as a society that any name recognition will gain you fans?

Is this really anything new though? The only real difference is that people are now deciding directly who interests them. 

Edited by Guest
33 minutes ago, Dani said:

Rich, white Hillary from New Jersey who married Alec Baldwin isn’t particularly interesting or relatable and the space is already filled.

New Jersey can’t be blamed, she’s from Massachusetts!

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

New Jersey can’t be blamed, she’s from Massachusetts!

Damn. I meant to double check to make sure I was remembering correctly. Thanks. I fixed it. 

(edited)

But how does pretending to be Spanish benefit any of that? Is she targeting a Spanish audience? Is she pretending to have some deep knowledge of some Spanish specific yoga moves? I can maybe see how this is getting her talk show appearance, since people will want to point and laugh, but is this really just about getting her name out there? And are people really stupid enough to do her yoga or by her book because she pretended to be Spanish? Have we really devolved so far down as a society that any name recognition will gain you fans?

I think she is trying to set herself apart from all the other white female influencers out there.  She is trying to affect exoticism.

And I do agree she's a nutter.  It's utterly ridiculous what she's doing.  Though, she certainly knows how to draw attention to herself.  She's pivoted to, ok, fine, I'm not Spanish, I'm just pretending to be, and I don't even want to check but I'm sure she's even more famous now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, Dani said:

Damn. I meant to double check to make sure I was remembering correctly. Thanks. I fixed it. 

I only knew because one of my sister’s best friends went to school with her. She unfortunately has no interesting stories about her!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I don;t understand why she does not simply say she is a Hispanophile and  is obsessed with the culture, language and history of Spain?  Not hard.  Lots of people become enamored of a culture not their own and become immersed in it without trying to put it on like a costume and wear it to present themselves as a member of it. 

I've wondered the same thing. If she just said she'd spent quite a bit of time in Spain and fell in love with the culture and country, I would never have batted an eye. 

• Love 13

I used to say to people you can convert to another religion, but not something like, say Italianism. And then along comes this guy. Race, and culture, are what society says they are. Here's the American Anthroplogical Association's statement on Race. I'll just quote part of it but it's worth reading the entire thing.

Historical research has shown that the idea of "race" has always carried more meanings than mere physical differences; indeed, physical variations in the human species have no meaning except the social ones that humans put on them. Today scholars in many fields argue that "race" as it is understood in the United States of America was a social mechanism invented during the 18th century to refer to those populations brought together in colonial America: the English and other European settlers, the conquered Indian peoples, and those peoples of Africa brought in to provide slave labor....

Ultimately "race" as an ideology about human differences was subsequently spread to other areas of the world. It became a strategy for dividing, ranking, and controlling colonized people used by colonial powers everywhere. But it was not limited to the colonial situation. In the latter part of the 19th century it was employed by Europeans to rank one another and to justify social, economic, and political inequalities among their peoples. During World War II, the Nazis under Adolf Hitler enjoined the expanded ideology of "race" and "racial" differences and took them to a logical end: the extermination of 11 million people of "inferior races" (e.g., Jews, Gypsies, Africans, homosexuals, and so forth) and other unspeakable brutalities of the Holocaust.

"Race" thus evolved as a worldview, a body of prejudgments that distorts our ideas about human differences and group behavior. Racial beliefs constitute myths about the diversity in the human species and about the abilities and behavior of people homogenized into "racial" categories. The myths fused behavior and physical features together in the public mind, impeding our comprehension of both biological variations and cultural behavior, implying that both are genetically determined. Racial myths bear no relationship to the reality of human capabilities or behavior.

Without exaggeration, there's an entire library worth of books that have been written just trying to define what culture is supposed to be.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I used to say to people you can convert to another religion, but not something like, say Italianism. And then along comes this guy. Race, and culture, are what society says they are. Here's the American Anthroplogical Association's statement on Race. I'll just quote part of it but it's worth reading the entire thing.

Without exaggeration, there's an entire library worth of books that have been written just trying to define what culture is supposed to be.

Of course, it should be noted that those folks in the 18th and 19th centuries were merely dusting off stuff that had been done   as far back as the Ancient Egyptians, Classical Greeks and Romans,etc. if not before re other people that they considered their enemies and/ or potential slaves.

Oh and I agree that Mrs. Baldwin would been best off  to just say that she enjoyed and appreciated the culture of Spain from an early age  and wanted to embrace as much of it as possible instead of going to so much trouble to fake having been a dyed in la lana Spaniard.

• Love 5

Whether or not cultural fluidity exists or not she is just trying to spin the fact that she lied repeatedly. She’s not born in Mallorca like her official biography claimed. She isn’t Latina like she let multiple reporters believe. I sincerely doubt that she has 35-40 Spanish family members who attended her wedding. 

Even if our cultural identity changes over time it doesn’t rewrite our past. She’s a liar who got caught and is trying to paint herself as the victim. I really don’t care that she wanting to create a persona but co-opting the language of people genuinely struggling with identity and acceptance to get more attention is despicable.

1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

And then along comes this guy.

I was going to bring that person (who prefers they/them) up.  Unlike Hilaria Baldwin, who actually spent time in Spain, their only connection to Korea is the fact that they watch and are a fan of one K-pop boyband, and one particular member that they think they look like.

• Useful 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I've wondered the same thing. If she just said she'd spent quite a bit of time in Spain and fell in love with the culture and country, I would never have batted an eye. 

That's kind of what she did say, but only after she spent years pretending to be Spanish. 

The Hilaria Baldwin Story: ‘I’m Living My Life’

When they were at home in Boston, Ms. Baldwin said, the family spoke Spanish and cooked Spanish food. Family friends from Spain would often live with the Hayward-Thomases for extended stays when visiting the United States. “When we weren’t in Spain, we called it ‘we brought Spain into our home,’” she said.

Yeah, that's great Hilaria, now explain why you started calling yourself Hilaria instead of Hilary, your real name.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 7

This is wild speculation but I think she decided to be Spanish to attract Alec Baldwin and then it was something to conveniently play up in interviews to get a little more attention and to be featured by certain outlets. From a cynical POV, brands or companies looking to seem inclusive would be more likely to hire someone who gave them the appearance of diversity (let's not get into a whole conversation about whether the Spanish are white) so it would create opportunities for her. Yoga instructor is not unique. Mommy blogger is not unique. (Though she seems to take a lot of breastfeeding photos.) I think she's awkwardly trying to spin this culturally fluid thing now and possibly turn it into something (though no one is biting) but really I think this is what happens when a narcissist is caught in a lie and starts to spin out. She can't cope with it and is trying to make up an alternate narrative where she isn't wrong because this is too threatening to her self image. 

• Love 11
13 hours ago, GiuliettaMasina said:

while also having the caché of being "Hollywood exotic."

THIS.    She's a "safe" ethnicity by choosing to be Spanish.   Not even Latino, Spanish.   As everyone else noted, it sets her about from all the privileged white mommy bloggers.   This is now her "brand."   So she has to stick to it come hell or high water or she's just another privileged white chick who likes to post nekkid pictures of herself.  

• Love 12
(edited)
12 hours ago, Dani said:

Rich, white Hillary from Massachusetts who married Alec Baldwin isn’t particularly interesting or relatable and the space is already filled. But being an immigrant instantly makes her appear to be more authentic. Of course, she can’t be too ethnic. She gives the appearance of being diverse but in a safe way that companies like. 

This! I'd also note that she runs in a milieu that to this very day is casting white Spaniards as POC Latine people. The U.S. as a whole does not have a good understanding of ethnicity vs race especially when it comes to Latin American populations--when all you see is white/white presenting Latines, and you don't understand that, well, they're white, you might start to think you could "pass" for one.

Edited by GiuliettaMasina
clarity
  • Love 13

Random but... does anyone know what her actual hair color is? Now that I'm actually looking at her face with all this drama, I'm noticing how harsh the jet black hair looks, even with her fake tan. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Hilaria needs to go away.  Stop doubling down on your non-sense.  Sounds like she doesn’t have anyone with a brain advising her.

I think you NAILED it with your last sentence -or at least not anyone whose brain operates in the real world instead of just thinking one must hype oneself forever or else one's doomed to be a loser regardless of any consequences to oneself or one's loved ones. 

• Love 6
On 7/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, DearEvette said:

I don;t understand why she does not simply say she is a Hispanophile and  is obsessed with the culture, language and history of Spain?  Not hard.  Lots of people become enamored of a culture not their own and become immersed in it without trying to put it on like a costume and wear it to present themselves as a member of it. 

Just like that guy Oli London who got all these surgeries to look like Jimin from BTS. He's come out recently that he identifies as Korean. He's white, he butchers the Korean language. He has a youtube channel and its the most bizarre thing ever lol

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Just like that guy Oli London who got all these surgeries to look like Jimin from BTS. He's come out recently that he identifies as Korean. He's white, he butchers the Korean language. He has a youtube channel and its the most bizarre thing ever lol

Is there some underground psychiatric group that is spiking the water supply in an effort to grow a guaranteed patient list?

Someone should look into that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

Honestly, I had never heard of this Hilaria person outside of this thread, so... I guess her shtick is working?  But I still don't understand why anyone would follow this person.  I don't get the deal with these celebrity wife influencers.  Why the hell should I care?  Unless the person is interesting in their own right, which, even if she WAS from Spain... that's not really all that interesting.  lol

• Love 18
On 7/10/2021 at 9:07 PM, Dani said:

What I don't get is why even bother with the influencer stuff. Being Alec Baldwin's much younger second wife seems like a great way to get money.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

The late actress Zsa Zsa Gabor's remains have finally been laid to rest in her native Budapest.  Gabor died in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/13/zsa-zsa-gabors-ashes-buried-after-flight-with-caviar-and-champagne

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57826835

I wonder if Miss Gabor's will predates her daughter Francesca Hilton's death because it's hard to imagine she'd have preferred being buried a continent and ocean away from her only child (to say nothing of her more famous sisters and mother who are also buried in California).   Alas she outlived them all and died in a terrible and heartbreaking state after years of lingering.  Well, what's done is done and, if nothing else, I truly hope that this will be the last we hear of her dubious widower. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

I wonder if Miss Gabor's will predates her daughter Francesca Hilton's death because it's hard to imagine she'd have preferred being buried a continent and ocean away from her only child (to say nothing of her more famous sisters and mother who are also buried in California).   Alas she outlived them all and died in a terrible and heartbreaking state after years of lingering.  Well, what's done is done and, if nothing else, I truly hope that this will be the last we hear of her dubious widower. 

Her husband said she was in too bad a shape and they didn't tell Zsazsa. So her will was likely before.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don’t know if it’s true but a Page Six reporter just tweeted this:

ETA: It’s been confirmed by the New York Times. She will be allowed to hire her own lawyer. 

Edited by Guest
46 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Excellent! Baby steps. The lawyer she's been in discussions with is a former federal prosecutor.

The judge approved him as her new lawyer. 

1 minute ago, LexieLily said:

ETA: Rosengart, the new lawyer, officially filed on behalf of Britney Spears to end the conservatorship. Britney says that she will speak again but when the court is open.

That’s great news. No matter what anyone thinks of Britney it is a very good thing that she has a good lawyer who will work in her behalf. 

Joe Exotic gets his sentence reduced, on a technicality. He was convicted of two attempts to arrange Carole Baskin's death but it should have been treated as one.

The panel agreed with Maldonado-Passage that the court should have treated them as one conviction at sentencing because they both involved the same goal of killing Baskin, who runs a rescue sanctuary for big cats in Florida. According to the ruling, the court should have sentenced Maldonado-Passage to somewhere between 17 1/2 years and just under 22 years in prison, rather than between just under 22 years and 27 years in prison. The court ordered the trial court to re-sentence Maldonado-Passage.

• Useful 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

ETA: Rosengart, the new lawyer, officially filed on behalf of Britney Spears to end the conservatorship. Britney says that she will speak again but when the court is open.

I haven’t been able to locate anything filed today by Rosengart. He was allowed to represent her and that’s it.  I wonder where they got this from?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1