Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chapter Sixteen - The Rescue

• Start Topic

Din and Grogu are reunited!  For a few minutes...

Overall, the story and rescue were a bit on the predictable side of things, but I still enjoyed the episode and how it all played out.  Glad they recruited Bo-Katan and Koska Reeves into the mission (I guess Bo-Katan's male sidekick was busy), and those two; along with Cara and Fennec; made for one hell of a squad.  I do think it's a bit of a stretch that Bo-Katan refuses to take the Darksaber from Din because she has to "defeat" the person to claim it.  Now she suddenly is clinging on to tradition?  And there seems to be plenty of ways around that on paper.  Since only a small group of people know about all of this, why don't they just claim it was Bo-Katan or claim Bo-Katan beat Din for it?  I feel like this particular gang would be cool to roll with that.  Hell, is it written down that it has to be an actual fight?  Maybe she can challenge Din to a nice arm-wrestling match!  Or a card game!  Battlestar Galactica trivia night!  I'm sure there is a loophole somewhere there!

Thought the asshole Imperial pilot that Cara shot looked familiar, and sure enough, that was Thomas E. Sullivan a.k.a. Nathanial Malick from the final season of Agents of Shield.  Kind of funny.

I do kind of feel bad for Dr. Pershing at this point, because it does feel like he isn't completely evil, but just a man who made the wrong career decision and it is too late to back out.  I can just imagine him going "Join the Empire, they said!  Great pay and benefits, they said!  It's all a lie!"

As soon as I saw the green lightsaber, I knew it was going to be Luke Skywalker.  Great reveal, even if the CGI just still isn't quite there yet, when it comes to de-aging actors (I think the best was still Samuel L. Jackson on Captain Marvel.)  But it's always nice seeing Mark Hamill's face again!

Din and Grogu's farewell was touching and Pedro Pascal made another case for why he should have his helmet off more going forward.  But I really, really doubt it's going to be a long separation.  Again, I think everyone involved here knows that the Din/Grogu relationship is one of the biggest selling points of not just this show but the current Star Wars universe right now, and they aren't going to mess with it too much.  I can maybe see them separated for an episode or two next season, but a reunion will happen.  Grogu certainly ain't going to die with the rest of Luke's students.  If nothing else, he will be all "Man, Luke's nephew is a dick!  I think I'm going to take this next semester off, because I got a really bad feeling about that guy..."

Bummed that Greef didn't show back up.  Or Cobb from the first episode, but that admittedly would have been a stretch.

Not surprised Boba is being set-up for his own spin-off.  While I'm not sure how invested I will be in his story (he works as a gruff badass from the side, but being front and center?), I'm pretty much in if this means Fennec will be in it, because Ming-Na Wen is the best.

Another top notch score.  Loved the almost horror/slasher like style for the Dark Troopers.  Ludwig Goransson continues to show himself to be one of the best composers in the game right now.

They are probably going to regret not killing Gideon when they could have, but I'm all for Giancarlo Esposito continuing to do what he does best in the Star Wars universe!

All in all, I do think there is a fair criticism to be had that this season maybe focused a bit too much on introducing new characters and setting up potential spin-offs, and some of the stronger aspects from last season suffered for it.  But I still think this season was an overall success, and I already can't wait till the next season.  It's just nice to be excited for Star Wars again, after the way the sequels played out (which I honestly didn't hate or even flat-out dislike, but they admittedly were flawed in the end.)  Can't wait to see more of Din, Grogu, and the gang next year!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, rozen said:

*Also which creepy person is getting regular force-sensitive blood transfusions? Is it a Sith in terminal condition, or someone trying to biohack themselves?

Who does Moff Gideon work for?  Thrawn, or something like that?

1 hour ago, TheOtherOne said:

I like this article. It makes a good point about how the season's earlier episodes led to the finale.

The Mandalorian Let Baby Yoda Be a Baby, and It Was Good

"Turning Mando into a father was incredibly compelling in season one, and letting Baby Yoda be a baby is one of the smartest things The Mandalorian did in season two. It made their love more complicated, and more tender. And if they’re not reunited in season three I will burn this whole thing to the ground."

Ditto.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm pretty much in if this means Fennec will be in it, because Ming-Na Wen is the best.

Boba & Fennec are now the Tony & Carmela Soprano of Tatooine.  Favreau needs to call Vince Vaughn

ETA: Luke has to say "Greetings Exalted One" if he sees Boba again..

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Yes, this is my main problem with the episode and what it reveals about the showrunners' story priorities. I got the same cringey letdown I did at the end of Rise of Skywalker when Rey declares (absolutely ridiculously) "I am a Skywalker. Like my father before me." (or something). NOT EVERYTHING IN THIS GALAXY NEEDS TO ALWAYS COME BACK TO EFFING SKYWALKERS!

I read this often and while I can understand, I myself am not bothered by things coming back to the Skywalkers. It's nice to have new and fresh characters but I think the core of the Star Wars story is greatly to do with them. I recently watched the behind the scenes documentary series about The Mandalorian season 1 filming and Dave Filoni has a conversation with all the other directors about what he thinks Star Wars is really about. He explains that the underlying theme is family.....i.e. The Skywalkers. So it makes sense to me that even these spin offs will have a tie to them, they had a huge part to play in the fate of this world. So they are either always going to be a part of it or have some "seven steps of separation" tie to it. I'm ok with that. That's just my opinion.....which I know is different from a majority of the audience. 

I was THRILLED when Ashoka appeared on the show, and then I was a bit disappointed that it was only for the one episode (even though she is getting her own show). I secretly was hoping it would be her that shows up, even if it is just to help Din get Grogu back. Mostly because I love her but also a bit because I knew there would be lots of complaints about it being Luke and about the CGI. My brain is just absolutely exploding knowing that in show timeline both Luke and Ashoka exist, and even though I know it would never happen, the thought of them ever having a meeting would make my long time Star Wars loving heart burst. One can only wish. 

I think that Luke was done well. The CGI is still not perfect and I'm guessing they must have saved a huge chunk of their budget for it. This is the problem with all of this prequel, sequel, spin off taking place in an older timeline business. They now have an entire year to perfect it even more and maybe by next season the technology will be better. 

Din becoming a father for Grogu has made this series for me. I believe they will be reunited for sure. Can't wait for the show to be back next year!

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

I really wasn't expecting Luke. But when I saw the green saber I knew it was him. Still wish they went with another Jedi. Just because we have enough about the Skywalkers. Having said that now that we have uncanny valley Luke, I want to see him meet Ahsoka on her show. 

Grogu will probably stay a year then tell Luke he wants to go back to Mando. Ahsoka told him he could choose and I'm sure he saw in her mind that she left the order and like her, he can be a force user but not a Jedi.

Mando finally removing his helmet so Grogu can see him was everything and that makes me think because of that Grogu will know how to find him again. 

I thought the Mando vs the dark trooper was better than the fight with Gideon. But I loved the women taking care of business. That's how you do it Disney or any show/movie. Just show them and don't make a big deal out of it. 

• Love 11

Edit: sorry, talking about future.

Was anyone else reminded of the ROTJ scene in which Vader asks Luke to take off his helmet so he could "see you with my own eyes"?

Din taking off his helmet for Grogu was the Light Side version of that, just as Luke's arrival/Ahsoka's intro seemed to be the Light Side version of Darth's massacre in Rogue One. 

Edited by Ravenya003
  • Love 9

Felt like a storytelling cheat that the Dark Troopers can't stay powered on all the time. Battery/fuel is almost never a concern in Star Wars. Hell, Mando flew all the way back from the hidden Imperial base to the main town on Nevarro on his lil jetpack just this season! They went out of their way to show that it was clearly hundreds of miles away! A jetpack holds that much fuel but Dark Troopers don't have a low-power hibernate mode??

Also, maybe it is too expensive to keep them all powered on all the time, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have kept one or two on at all times. Imperials are so bad at being bad guys.

OTOH, I did think it was a little silly to think the Dark Troopers were defeated by airlocking them into space when we've already seen them fly. So I liked when they came back.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Yes, this is my main problem with the episode and what it reveals about the showrunners' story priorities. I got the same cringey letdown I did at the end of Rise of Skywalker when Rey declares (absolutely ridiculously) "I am a Skywalker. Like my father before me." (or something). NOT EVERYTHING IN THIS GALAXY NEEDS TO ALWAYS COME BACK TO EFFING SKYWALKERS!

No, not everything does, but this kind of needed to.  For one thing there's the "Who else?" question.  That kid from Rebels?  That guy from the video games?  Maybe Mace Windu is somehow still kicking around?  Yaddle perhaps?  Any or all of those people would require a bunch of exposition and explanation that Luke does not require.  Because Luke is The Jedi now.  We know who Luke Skywalker is.  The idea that he used his connection to the Force and to Grogu to find Gideon's ship easily makes sense.  And however tough those Dark Troopers were, of course Jedi Master Luke Skywalker would chop them up like so much firewood.

Finally Luke's appearance answers the question of who can Din trust to care for and train his son.  Who else but Luke Skywalker, the last true Jedi Master, would be worthy of such trust?

• Love 23

I loved it.

I loved that the last words were, "May the Force be with you."  It ain't Star Wars if no one says that.

Din always knew he had to give Grogu up and I knew that a Jedi would come looking for him.  I didn't expect Grogu to stay with Din, it wouldn't have made sense. 

Everything has to come to an end.

ETA:  And I saw "A New Hope" when it first came out.  In fact, I think I saw it three times that summer.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 14

Fucking Loved It! I was on the edge of my seat all episode.

Can't believe they brought in Luke Skywalker and kept it under wraps. 😯.

I screamed when the X-Wing showed up and Jumped when R2 appeared. 

I teared up when Daddy Din and Baby Yoda (still hate the name) said goodbye.

The post credits scene of Boba/Fennec taking over Jabba's Palace was pretty cool. I'm definitely excited for a Boba Fett limited series.

As for Daddy Din and Grogu they will be reunited soon. However, if not, I'm actually OK with that. I'd enjoy the Mandalorian if it focused on Mandalore/Mandalorians, if it focused on Din going from planet to planet meeting new people and kicking ass. I love the kid but, I don't need him on the show. At the same time I won't object to a reunion.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Jediknight said:

He wants to protect his dad.

I turned into a 12 year old girl when it became clear that Luke was the one tearing through Darktroopers.  They yelling of "LUKE!", and pretty much bouncing up and down.

Loved Gideon first being worried when the Darktroopers stopped attacking and focused on the pilot of the X-Wing, and then his look of complete terror when Bo said "A Jedi?", he knew that he and the Darktroopers were finished.

Yes to everything you said! Except I turned back into a 18 year old girl and even though I'm old now I was bouncing up and down and clapping. I loved every minute of it.

It's going to be a long year!

• Like 1
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, johntfs said:

No, not everything does, but this kind of needed to.  For one thing there's the "Who else?" question.  That kid from Rebels?  That guy from the video games?  Maybe Mace Windu is somehow still kicking around?  Yaddle perhaps?  Any or all of those people would require a bunch of exposition and explanation that Luke does not require.  Because Luke is The Jedi now.  We know who Luke Skywalker is.  The idea that he used his connection to the Force and to Grogu to find Gideon's ship easily makes sense.  And however tough those Dark Troopers were, of course Jedi Master Luke Skywalker would chop them up like so much firewood.

Finally Luke's appearance answers the question of who can Din trust to care for and train his son.  Who else but Luke Skywalker, the last true Jedi Master, would be worthy of such trust?

Thanks for this. A few questions (for anyone):

• Approximately how many Jedi are there out there at this moment in SW history? I just have no idea whether it's a half-a-dozen or 10K who could have answered Din's/Grogu's call.
  • While the audience might know that Luke is the best Jedi to train Grogu, did Din know this? And am I misremembering that Mandalorians have some skepticism/ignorance about Jedis and the Force generally?
Edited by Penman61
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

Thanks for this. A few questions (for anyone):

• Approximately how many Jedi are there out there at this moment in SW history? I just have no idea whether it's a half-a-dozen or 10K who could have answered Din's/Grogu's call.
  • While the audience might know that Luke is the best Jedi to train Grogu, did Din know this? And am I misremembering that Mandalorians have some skepticism/ignorance about Jedis and the Force generally?

In the "Definite" column, there's three: Luke Skywalker, Ahsoka Tano and Leia Organa (Solo?) and Luke is the only full Jedi Master.  Ahsoka was basically a "diploma" away from being a Jedi Knight and Leia probably wasn't even that.

In the "Likely" column there's Ezra Bridger from Rebels.

In that Possibly section there's Cal Kestis and Cere Junda from the Jedi Fallen Order games along with Mace Windu who supposedly survived that fall on Coruscant.

Beyond that we really have no idea but probably not all that many and frankly at 5+ years after RotJ anyone beyond Ezra Bridger is pushing it.

And the last we saw of Ezra he was basically the half-trained apprentice of half-trained Padawan-cum Jedi, Kanan Jarrus.

Which brings back the idea that with Ahsoka taking herself out of consideration, the best choice to train young Grogu would be Luke Skywalker.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I call foul on the passing of the Darksabre by the way. Bo Katan HAS taken it before without a fight from Sabin Wren. I mean if we’re going to talk about it being passed without an earned battle right, its technically still Maul’s. And if its passed because Maul died, then it belongs to Sabine Wren. So that irks. I can’t imagine Din the leader of the Mandalorians.

Wish we would have seen Din first get Grogu out of the cell. I’m surprised they skipped it. More moments between them before he leaves with Luke.

Speaking of...Luke! I really thought it was going to be Erza or Cal. Disappointed they didn’t use Sebastian Stan. I’m not a fan of the deep fakes, they’re so flat. I also believe this isn’t the end of Grogu, but I do believe its going to be awhile before we see him again. 

The thing with Bo Katan not accepting the darksaber didn’t bother me because she had to have lost it somehow. Assuming she lost it in a battle I can easily see her feeling like she had to win it back from Moff to be viewed as legitimate. 

I was disappointed they didn’t use Sebastian Stan but that probably wasn’t an option since his Disney+ show was filming at the same time. 

41 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

I think that’s where watching Luke mow through the dark troopers comes into play. Plus Din knows that Grogu reaching out at the temple is how Luke found them. 

Edited by Guest

I enjoyed this episode the whole way through but I can certainly see a few elements that misfire here:

• Grogu doesn't do anything to the point we start to wonder if he's been drained of his ability to use the Force
  • Mando taking his helmet off loses some impact because he just took it off last episode
  • We've seen Mando's Commandos wreck an Imperial garrison several times this season already
  • Mando doesn't do much shooting and gets his ass kicked by the Dark Trooper
  • Despite this, the Dark Troopers fail to be much of a menace en masse and we see that even if Luke hadn't shown up the team already had a weapon that could defeat them
  • There is a dumb conflict set up via rules lawyering (that the Dark Saber has to be obtained via a duel with the previous holder or else you can't legitimately rule Mandalore)
  • Moff Gideon fails to bring the menace
  • The team gets saved by Cock Knocker
  • Luke's badass moment mirroring Vader in Rogue One is lessened by the fact that Luke is cutting down droids while Vader was committing mass murder

I somewhat felt the uncanny valley effect with digital Luke but since I had seen mentions here and there of Sebastian Stan I was trying to figure out if it was him.

Having said that, I still loved it. I think Grogu is off to Jedi summer camp for some leveling in badass. This will allow him to come back and be a more active participant in the action next season. And who knows, maybe he will be able to talk or somehow otherwise communicate.

Regarding the Dark Saber, who cares about the rules? It certainly shouldn't be the character who was busting Mando's balls for his fundie ways. As mentioned upthread, if you must have a conflict involved, arm wrestle for it now that Grogu isn't around to force choke Mando's opponent. Or just have Mando abandon the goddamn thing somewhere Bo Katan will be able to find it. What happens if the previous owner is just a skeleton? Do you have to resurrect them and defeat them in battle first? When you see someone wielding the Dark Saber is your first question "but did they get it legitimately through honorable combat?"

Speaking of things that are dark and derpy, those Dark Troopers are not the droids the Empire has been looking for. They have to stay in standby mode most of the time because they consume too much power. They can't hack doors but instead rely on the good old fashioned punching method to open them. They're slow and not very good at adapting to threats. Plus they have tiny little guns. The Dark Trooper gun you could pick up in Dark Forces took up about a quarter of the screen. It was a massive shoulder-mounted cannon that fired absurdly powerful energy bolts, not the same little pew-pew rifle the Stormtroopers have.

• Love 5

I fucking loved it. Women kicking ass together, Baby Yoda and now Luke? They've set the bar super high for their season 3 marketing vehicle surprise.

My only complaint, and it goes for the movies too, is that some of the flight & action scenes seem like they're being filmed for a new ride at Disneyland and WDW.

And now I have some  motivation to try and get into The Clone Wars. 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

Regarding the Dark Saber, who cares about the rules? It certainly shouldn't be the character who was busting Mando's balls for his fundie ways.

It's not really rules, like Gideon said it's the story of the Dark Saber that gives it power. Bo-Katan lost the saber, probably in battle, she has to win it back in order for the Mandalorian's to rally around her and look to her as a leader. If she took the handout, and the story got out, she would be a "pretender" to the throne. At least, that's how I took it. 

• Love 4

It feels like some of the key episodes this season turned the titular star into a bit player on his own show, this one in particular. While the kid in me loved the cameo, albeit not well rendered (and the voice didn't even sound right), it really undercut the heroes of the show by having them saved at the last minute by deus ex machina.

So I suppose the next season or two will lean heavily into Mandalorian lore? It would be funny if every episode Mando tries to pick a fight with Bo Katan just so she'll slug him and he can hand over the dark sabre.

EDIT: And word of advice to dead shuttle pilot; if you had to take a hostage, you're acting out of desperation, not from a position of strength. So it might not be a good time to further antagonize the person holding a gun on you.

EDIT2: Also, am I the only one that is reminded of Maximilian from The Black Hole when I see the Dark Troopers?

Edited by Cthulhudrew
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Once they showed the second or third scene of Luke mowing through the Darktroopers is when I finally wised up and realized "I know who has a green lightsaber!" 

Plus he was only wearing one glove.

Thoughts on when we might see Grogu again: Luke only trained with Yoda on Dagobah for what, a few weeks? A couple months tops? And he was pretty much ready to rock. Maybe that's how Luke convinced Grogu when they "talked" on Tython. "It'll be just like summer camp. You'll be back with dad in a short time, and have all kinds of fun stories to tell!"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, TimothyQ said:

I was excited when I saw Luke but I screamed when I saw R2!

Me watching the last 5+ minutes.

Single X-Wing shows up: Hmmm? Nah!

Black Hooded person on video: hmm, they want to fool me into thinking Luke but, it's probably Ahsoka (surprise!)

Lightsaber shows up on video: hmm, single blade, definitely not Ahsoka

Black Glove shows up on screen: wait, really?

Green Lightsaber shows up on screen: Holy Crap it's really Luke!

R2 shows up on screen: R2!!!! 😲

Yeah, I totally yelled at the screen when R2 showed up.

I have to give props to the show runner, writers, directors who pretty much nailed the Luke reveal by slowly building up everything nostalgic about Luke (X-Wing, Black Hooded Robe, gloved/fake hand, Green Light saber)

• Love 15
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

Mando taking his helmet off loses some impact because he just took it off last episode

I actually kind of thought that it increased the impact.  The removal last episode was about Din’s discomfort and the moral compromises Din was making to do it.  Doing it last episode gave the audience time to process what it meant and put those issues to bed, in a way.  Whereas here, with a second removal, the moment could be all about the love between Din and Grogu.  That is, we didn’t need to expect the story grapple with discomfort on Din’s part because that issue had been put to bed, and the focus could just be on Din cherishing that last moment with Grogu.  Pedro Pascal’s face acting was awesome here.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Luke only trained with Yoda on Dagobah for what, a few weeks? A couple months tops? And he was pretty much ready to rock.

During Empire yeah but, Luke went back after ESB ended and, finished his training with Yoda between ESB and RotJ, which is still only a year

My mom is trying to find a Pedro Pascal mask to give to my stepfather for Christmas. I'm all for more of him without the mask (Pedro, that is!) - I think maybe they're getting us more used to the idea of him without it.

I enjoyed a lot about this episode. And I shed a few tears.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Does he even want to be working for the Empire, or did he sign on for less evil reasons and then couldn't get out?

He definitely gives vibes that he wants out. I hope he's back in s3. He's a compelling minor character, and I'd like to learn more about him.

I didn't think it could be Luke who came for Grogu, but now that I've seen it in action, I'm glad it was. As soon as he started mowing through the Dark Troopers, it felt right. I prefer the Uncanny Valley + Hamill's voice acting to a recast with a different actor. The big question is how the show will get Grogu back without needing Luke on screen too long.

s3 has to be Mandalore focused. I'm wondering if it will be more arc heavy than episodic. I don't think Bo Katan should or will turn evil, but I do think she and Din could genuinely clash due to different interests and codes. I hope we get a return of the Armorer. 

I wonder if we'll ever get more plot from the blood being used to presumably create Snoke. Since they can't thwart the Snoke creation, I would be okay with it being an Easter egg.

I love Starbuck, but I am also not feeling Bo Katan. Maybe I'll try to find her episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels to get more context for the character. Moff Gideon seemed wasted, too. He wasn't much of a presence throughout the season, so his defeat at the end didn't feel meaningful either.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

s3 has to be Mandalore focused. I'm wondering if it will be more arc heavy than episodic. I don't think Bo Katan should or will turn evil, but I do think she and Din could genuinely clash due to different interests and codes. I hope we get a return of the Armorer. 

Bo Katan was originally introduced as a villain. She was basically a terrorist who helped to destroy Mandalore. She ultimately switched sides but she is a morally grey character. She is a ideological extremist and could very easily end up an antagonist. 

I’m curious to see how they handle Mandalore because most of their problems were self-inflicted. 

Edited by Guest
On 12/19/2020 at 6:25 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

I'm going to need someone to do a Letters from Jedi Camp special where Baby Yoda writes letters to Din telling him all about his training, who he's meeting & how much he wants to come home. 

"Dear father, enjoying Jedi Camp I am not. There's this creepy emo kid who keeps glaring at me and adjusting his lightsabre when he thinks I'm not looking. I have a bad feeling about this." 

(Too soon?)

Edited by Ravenya003
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3

If Favreau and Filoni had *really* wanted to shake up the Star Wars universe, they could have had the hooded Jedi wielding a pink saber, followed by:

Din: Are you a Jedi?

Stranger (removing hood): Actually, I’m Stacey!

(and yes, this is a Pink Five reference!)

• LOL 2

The Dark Trooper couldn't punch its way through Din's beskar helmet, but it coulda killed Din instantly by just wrenching his neck. He doesn't wear much in the way of neck protection. These guys are dumb. HK-47 would never.

(Also I was surprised to see Din snap a Stormtrooper's neck on camera. Seemed a bit violent for a Disney show.)

I loved this episode and the entire season. Sure, there were a few disappointments, but the show wasn’t  written for one person and cannot possibly suit me individually 100% of the time. I am okay with it getting it right a vast majority of the time.

As soon as the ship showed up and the dark troopers started wigging out, my husband said, “A Jedi is here!” and I immediately yelled, “Luke!” The very first movie I saw in a theater when I was 6 years old was Star Wars. I haven’t read any of the books, nor did I see any of the animated series, etc. - only the movies. I will always love Luke and was glad Grogu is safe with him, though so sad for Din - that was heart-wrenching. I was amazed how they de-aged Luke, and I thought him being quite emotionless was fitting to the situation. I did see a moment when he looked at Grogu with a hint of affection and wonder that I can only attribute to him seeing another “Yoda.” There is simply no way Disney would allow Grogu to die in Luke’s tutelage- no way. The fans’ love of Grogu and his relationship with Din isn’t something they would sacrifice. I think Luke’s respect for, and love of, Yoda will work in Grogu’s favor and I have to wonder if he will end up coming to Din’s rescue at some point next season as his power grows and he senses Din in danger. 

We are very much looking forward to seeing where they take the show next season. 

• Love 20
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Me watching the last 5+ minutes.

Single X-Wing shows up: Hmmm? Nah!

Black Hooded person on video: hmm, they want to fool me into thinking Luke but, it's probably Ahsoka (surprise!)

Lightsaber shows up on video: hmm, single blade, definitely not Ahsoka

Black Glove shows up on screen: wait, really?

Green Lightsaber shows up on screen: Holy Crap it's really Luke!

R2 shows up on screen: R2!!!! 😲

Yeah, I totally yelled at the screen when R2 showed up.

I have to give props to the show runner, writers, directors who pretty much nailed the Luke reveal by slowly building up everything nostalgic about Luke (X-Wing, Black Hooded Robe, gloved/fake hand, Green Light saber)

This was pretty much the reaction I had except I noticed the glove later and when the green lightsaber came out I was trying to remember all the lectures I got from my nephews about which Jedi has which colored lightsaber. I was pretty sure it was Luke at that point, but I was certainly wishing I’d paid more attention to those little-boy rambles than just saying “uh-huh” and “oh yeah?” occasionally. 😂

In terms of Grogu going with Luke, I wonder if he’d realized he needed some training after what he’d just been through. He hadn’t been able to protect himself from Moff, he’d seen how scared the grownups were about the dark soldiers coming, and then he’d watched Luke breeze his way through the whole ship on his way to rescue them. We’ve seen him want to protect Din, so maybe this is part of that.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 17

Just had a thought from reading the comments about it being weird that Bo is being so rigid about taking the sword now when she did it before and mocked the Children of the Watch as zealots, but maybe it is because of those zealots she can't take it now.

In Rebels those already following her and Sabine accepted her as the leader and wielder of the Dark Sabre but never saw how the other Mandalorians reacted. I could totally see Mando's people not accepting Bo as the rightful leader if she didn't earn the Dark Sabre the traditional way. And if one clan wouldn't accept her there is a chance others wouldn't.

But as mentioned by me and others, I think how she lost it factors into it as well. Also we don't know what exactly the Empire did to Mandalore and how it happened.

• Love 2

I really wish that this had been the only episode in the entire series where Mando revealed his face.  The scene was impactful but would have been even more so if it'd been the only time we'd seen Mando do it.  And if they couldn't do that, than they at least shouldn't have had him reveal his face in the previous episode, especially since it was for the most nonsense reason.  

I would like to believe that the baby and Mando will be reunited next season, but Disney has done such a crap job of handling Star Wars (and I say this as someone who's just a casual fan of the franchise) that I'm not holding my breath.  I mean, they obviously didn't think that Baby Yoda was going to be a thing in the first place, or they would have had the merchandise ready to go for Christmas a week after the show premiered.  And I have no interest in watching a show centered around Boba Fett so if that's what this becomes, instead of Boba getting his own spin off series, then I'm out.

That being said, I did enjoy the episode.  The Dark Troopers freaked me the hell out because I find unstoppable killer robots scary (in part because people in real life keep on trying to perfect that technology and every time I see some video on youtube of some new advancement in robotics I'm all, "Did these people not watch Terminator?") and I thought the Dark Saber twist was interesting.  And I was happy Luke showed up just because my husband (who was way into Star Wars in middle school, reading all the books back in the mid-90s) was slowly freaking out as he realized that that was indeed Luke Skywalker and not some fake out with a random jedi.  He was getting more and more excited as they showed each clue to it being Luke (the x-wing, the green light saber, the one gloved hand) but when they showed a close up of the light sabre handle (which, like Harry Potter wands, are all unique, apparently), he went into full blown nostalgia fan boy.  Very cute to watch.  :)

• Love 6

If Bo Katan's true goal is uniting all Mandalorians, she will have to get the zealots on her side, and that's not going to happen when they find out Din, who was raised by them,  got the dark sabar by the ancient rules of Mondalore. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Seeing 57 year old Ming Na Wen fight side by side with a former MMA fighter and a former? Wrestler is also my everything. Being Asian I know we basically age like Grogu but it still nice to see that they don't need to keep hiring young actresses to be badasses. 

She's awesome! I loved her in Agents of Shield.

Too bad  Boba Fett wasn't there I would've loved to have seen Luke's reaction.

Seeing young Luke brought back so much nostalgia for me because in my world Star Wars is episodes 1-6 and and I'll add Rogue One in there. That's why I love the timeline of this show and I'll watch any other disney + show in this timeline.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Plus he was only wearing one glove.

Thoughts on when we might see Grogu again: Luke only trained with Yoda on Dagobah for what, a few weeks? A couple months tops? And he was pretty much ready to rock. Maybe that's how Luke convinced Grogu when they "talked" on Tython. "It'll be just like summer camp. You'll be back with dad in a short time, and have all kinds of fun stories to tell!"

I didn't notice the glove until he came onto the bridge.  Oops! 🤣

That's also a great observation.  I hope you're right!  I also still want to know what R2D2 said to Grogu though.  Because he wanted Mando until R2 rolled in, and then it seemed like they "talked" and Grogu went.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Can't believe they brought in Luke Skywalker and kept it under wraps. 😯.

Yeah it was amazing.  Until yesterday.  When I foolishly looked at Twitter and got curious as to why over 200K people had "liked" a fairly innocuous comment by Mark Hamill.  Someone's reaction comment clued me in.

<sigh>

It was such a flashback to the past for me when, as a high-school student, as I was STANDING IN THE THEATER LOBBY, waiting to go in to see the Empire Strikes Back, some over-eager little kid spoiled the identity of Yoda for me (we were standing in front of a poster of him).  I did not fuss at him, nor did I force-choke him (much as I wanted to).  But I was SO PISSED.  And here we are, 30+ years later, and Twitter spoiled the surprise appearance of Luke Skywalker for me.    <sigh>

Oh well, at least I wasn't spoiled as to the identity of Darth Vader in the original trilogy (as so many people were, and some maliciously so.)  And luckily I left the credits playing on this episode so I got to see the after-credits scene unspoiled.  That was fun (and unexpected -- I haven't seen a post-credit teaser in a LONG time and never in the Star Wars 'verse.  That's more of a Marvel thing.)

4 hours ago, bethy said:

In terms of Grogu going with Luke, I wonder if he’d realized he needed some training after what he’d just been through. He hadn’t been able to protect himself from Moff, he’d seen how scared the grownups were about the dark soldiers coming, and then he’d watched Luke breeze his way through the whole ship on his way to rescue them.

I like this explanation best.  Grogu really DOES need more training but we (the audience) need a compelling reason for Grogu to voluntarily leave his "daddy" and go with a stranger after having been reluctant to leave him before.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 4

Some thoughts on rewatch:

When the title card said "The Rescue" I was half-way afraid that was a red herring and that the Child wouldn't actually be rescued in the episode. 

I liked the scene in the elevator after Cara's gun jammed and when she slammed it on the floor it powered back up again. Her "Excuse me," as she swung it around and Fennec ducked made me LOL. 

I, too, wish we'd gotten more reunion between Din and Grogu, but the little grabby hands Grogu made when Din walked in ("Daddy" or "Look what he did to me"?) were so sad. Plus, the baby was so exhaused and subdued then and later; he seemed barely conscious on the bridge both in Din's arms and when he set him down. 😭 At least until Luke arrived.

Din walking onto the bridge, baby in one arm and dark saber in the other with Moff Gideon in custody was awesome. He gets the job done. I liked that Cara went right up to Din and gave Grogu a little pet. 

Great scene between Gideon (Moff is a title, right?), Bo-katan, and Din. Din was so over the whole thing. "I yield." He just wants his kid and to be out of there.  

I liked the scene of Grogu with his hand on the monitor and Din with him, watching Luke fight. I assume that under the mask Din was spending some time watching Grogu watch, too. And then Grogu reached out his hand and Din picked him up and told them to open the doors. 

For me, Din revealing his face this episode wasn't lessened any by his taking his helmet of last episode. Then it was a step forward because Din was willing to break the code for the child; this episode it was a direct reponse to Grogu asking to see his face. 

And I thought it was cool that Din didn't just hand Grogu to Luke. He put him down and let Grogu move toward Luke on his own. When the Child raised his hands to Luke to be picked up, that seemed to me to be the point where Grogu actually made the choice to go. 

I hope R2's response to the Child was because they could communicate. 

Are people talking about Sebastian Stan as Luke for a particular reason or because the computer version of Luke looked kind of like him?

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I didn't notice the glove until he came onto the bridge.  Oops! 🤣

That's also a great observation.  I hope you're right!  I also still want to know what R2D2 said to Grogu though.  Because he wanted Mando until R2 rolled in, and then it seemed like they "talked" and Grogu went.  

Me too. Grogu held onto Din's leg and looked at him. R2D2 rolls in, Grogu is interested,  then Grogu says something back to R2 and R2 does a little happy dance and the Grogu puts his arms up to be carried by Luke. I imagine R2 was telling him it was OK and all the cool things he will learn.

I want Grogu to get fed up with training and tell Luke, You're not my father, I'm leaving. 🙂

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, bethy said:

Are people talking about Sebastian Stan as Luke for a particular reason or because the computer version of Luke looked kind of like him?

Someone on the internet put up side-by-side comparisons of original Luke vs. current day Sebastian Stan with Luke hair photoshopped onto him and they do look uncannily alike (though I am suspicious that there may have been some additional editing shenanigans with that image.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Yeah it was amazing.  Until yesterday.  When I foolishly looked at Twitter and got curious as to why over 200K people had "liked" a fairly innocuous comment by Mark Hamill.  Someone's reaction comment clued me in.

Yeah, I follow Sam Witwer and Mark Hamill on Twitter. I learned after the Ahsoka episode to avoid Twitter because Sam will comment about the episode long before I watch it 😁

• Love 1
On 12/18/2020 at 8:08 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Having never watched Clone Wars or Rebels to know the backstory, I just thought of the Elder Wand from Harry Potter, LOL.  ...Who was the rightful owner and who disarmed or killed whom to get what...?  I dunno, I just go with it. 

Right?!?

I was curious about something Gideon said.  It sounded like him implied that the real problem is that Bo Katan wanted to be able to tell the story of her battle to claim the Darksaber.  So does that mean she really just wanted bragging right?  If Sabine just gave her the Darksaber, did the people not respect her?  She she feels that if she has to really fight a battle for it, people will see her as the true ruler?

I have no idea what I'm talking about 🙂  I just watched the movies.  I have no idea about the Clone Wars or Rebels.  But maybe someone can enlighten me?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

Me too. Grogu held onto Din's leg and looked at him. R2D2 rolls in, Grogu is interested,  then Grogu says something back to R2 and R2 does a little happy dance and the Grogu puts his arms up to be carried by Luke

Given Grogu being around pre-Order 66 he might know R2, since that was Anakin's droid (although I think Clone Wars was more R4?)

• Love 1