Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chapter Sixteen - The Rescue

• Start Topic

On 12/28/2020 at 4:29 PM, Captain Carrot said:

Partly due to the fact that it was nice to see Luke in his prime.

I think this is what does it for me. I thought the sequels would be some of Luke being *the* Jedi, but no. I knew he was making an appearance, but seeing him wreck shop was spectacular. 

I'm surprised to see here his appearance being somewhat contentious. I agree with the argument about not having everything tied to the same 4 characters in all of Star Wars, but who else would take the child? There's no more Jedi per se. Some may have escaped Order 66, but they've been hiding for over a generation and are kind of old. Luke is the only person walking around openly calling himself a Jedi. He's probably the only one strong enough to have sensed the child that far away. I assume he sensed him on the rock and has been searching since then. 

I mean, the shape of the galaxy has been affected by a 'Skywalker' for nearly two generations. So it's kind of hard to forget them. We remember real life big figures in history from centuries ago, so it doesn't really bother me, especially given that the destruction of the Death Star (and Alderaan) are still fresh in people's minds. 

• Love 5

BTW, the new episode of Disney Gallery goes into how much effort they spent on keeping the Luke Skywalker reveal secret, and I think it's pretty clear the rest of the cast on the bridge wasn't informed that it would be Luke and not Plo Koon or whoever.

I think overall it's fine for Mando not to know who Luke is -- Mando was raised by a cult and then grew up to be a pretty apolitical bounty hunter -- but it just felt a bit off to me that Cara Dune, esp, would have no emotional reaction to, again, the guy who avenged Alderaan.

And even aside from that, being relieved that the laser sword guy who just destroyed all the Dark Troopers isn't gonna kill them too and in fact saved them should have resulted in some emotion. <shrug> I think overall the creative leads erred too much on the side of secrecy.

• Love 6

To me, the emotional goodbye was hampered a bit by the fact that Din had to be goaded into going after Grogu, and he didn't urgently request/demand help at the end of Episode 14. 

(Paraphrasing follows)

Din: The Child's gone.
Boba: Until he is returned to you, we still owe you. [Nodding of heads]
Din: Oh yeah, OK.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy distract himself when he’s trying to talk his way out of a situation like the pilot did at the beginning - not quite sure what he was trying to achieve there.

Darth Fring is a villain who truly knows how the world (well, Galaxy) works – instantly suspicious of the “ship in distress” ploy and immediately activating the Dark Troopers.

Liked how while the beskar spear can block the Dark Sabre, it wasn’t undamaged by it as it started glowing. I'm never a fan of having either unstoppable weapons or impenetrable defences, so to see that the spear was showing wear from blocking the dark sabre was good.

R2! I knew Luke showed up at the end, but didn’t know he’d have his (old) little buddy with him. And loved Groku putting his hand on the monitor & going “Uncle Luke!”(yeah, I think he knew him).

I know Mando removing his helmet is meant to be a real “Awww” moment for the audience, but wouldn’t he look weird to Groku? It’s be like seeing your dad without a beard & dyed hair (or any hair in my case) - he's only ever seen him with a metal head.

End Stinger seemed out of place, seeing as it didn’t feature either of the main characters of the series. And wow, Bib Fortuna really let himself go in the 5(?) years since RotJ!

On 12/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, raven said:

The rigidity of Grogu needing to be with a Jedi bugs me.    We know the Jedi doctrine is problematic - Din doesn't know this but the show's insistence that it's best for Grogu is something I'm not on board with.

Hey, what’s wrong with Jedi teaching? Sure, they believe in complete separation from all attachment from a ludicrously young age. And sure, that caused one of their most Force Sensitive paduans to keep his sexual relationship a secret and turn to somebody who turned out to be a Sith Lord. And sure, that caused the annihilation of the entire Jedi Order and the establishment of a Galaxy spanning fascist state. But apart from that, when has it ever been proved wrong?

On 12/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, Penman61 said:

EVERYTHING IN THIS GALAXY NEEDS TO ALWAYS COME BACK TO EFFING SKYWALKERS!

That's not fair. Sometimes it's about Palpatines!

On 12/19/2020 at 2:00 AM, dwmarch said:

Regarding the Dark Saber, who cares about the rules? It certainly shouldn't be the character who was busting Mando's balls for his fundie ways.

But that is how people act. They consider their beliefs are correct but everyone else’s are stupid. People can believe their religious beliefs are sensible but regard people following their star signs as dumb (and the like).

On 12/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, bethy said:

Moff is a title, right?

It’s a military rank, roughly equivalent to 1* Admiral in the US Navy (It’s Moff-Grand Moff-Admiral-Grand Admiral in ascending Imperial ranks).

On 12/21/2020 at 1:37 AM, magdalene said:

And why was Grogu seemingly written out of the show?  Did the puppet become a diva on set? Too big for his tiny breeches? Making unreasonable demands, like wanting to remove his robe?

It's sad when fame goes to people's Muppet's heads! (Not that I think he's being written out).

• Love 1

So, I decided to subscribe to Disney+ as a family Christmas gift since I figured that there would be a lot of material that we would enjoy.

So we've watched all episodes over the space of the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed them.  I grew up with the original trilogy and when I saw the green light saber, I said "oh my God, that has to be Luke!"

Little Grogu is one of the cutest things that I have ever seen on television, and my sons just bought me a plushie of him as an early birthday present.  He sits on my desk as I work from home and when my day gets too stressful (often), looking at his adorable face makes me smile.  I have concluded that you are never too old for a plushie! 😃

Looking forward to Season 3 and thanks to the posters who mentioned the end credit scene as a prelude to the Boba Fett series.  I guess that will be next on the list.

• Love 9
On 1/12/2022 at 8:05 AM, aemom said:

Little Grogu is one of the cutest things that I have ever seen on television, and my sons just bought me a plushie of him as an early birthday present.  He sits on my desk as I work from home and when my day gets too stressful (often), looking at his adorable face makes me smile.  I have concluded that you are never too old for a plushie! 😃

You should definitely watch episode 5, 6 and 7 of Book of Boba Fett.  Nudge, nudge.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, magdalene said:

You should definitely watch episode 5, 6 and 7 of Book of Boba Fett.  Nudge, nudge.

We watched #5 (great episode) and #6 is up next. 😃

• Love 4

So, I decided to subscribe to Disney+ for a bit to catch up on Wanda Vision and I watched this too since it was so well reviewed. The production values are certainly quite excellent.

The plotting and character depth is however utterly predictable and shallow, and as often with me and Star Wars, I find myself bored. It's fine for what it is but it really isn't all that interesting or surprising as a character study. Maybe I should just take this as a children's story because that's what I felt I was watching. The easy and obvious emotional manipulation with the obligatory cute Star Wars creature was dialed up to 11 and annoyed the hell out of me. It's like with so many movies and shows where they put a child or a dog with a stoic hero man to give them apparent emotional depth. I don't have children and I'm a cat person, so this really doesn't work for me. Make it a cat next time!

Putting the main character behind a helmet, so audiences can project pretty much anything on them was interesting but also quite ridiculous. We have another one of those emotionless manly heroes. And it doesn't even require the actor to be stoic. Just put a helmet on his face!

But for someone who appreciates good acting, this didn't work. At all. And now that I'm reading that most of the time, it wasn't even Pedro Pascal, I really find myself cheated and cheaply manipulated in more than one way.

Two things I liked: the revelation that he was part of a weird cult with the whole helmet thing. And the droid running the cantina. 

But then they had the main character being a droid racist who excuses his racism with the one droid who tried to kill him. Ugh. Which only gets resolved by the reprogrammed droid sacrificing itself. Ugh again.

I really hope the Obi Wan Kenobi show will be better.

Equal rights for droids!

This show is good at making it fun to watch a team fighting together.  I'm usually bored with action scenes, but for some reason, I'm more engaged with them on this show.  Seeing Mando fight with the spear was kind of neat as well.

I had read about Luke showing up so I lost the element of surprise.  I think they did a good job with it, and if Grogu learns to control the Force a little better and not get so tired out, he can fight alongside Mando in future seasons and protect himself.  The goodbye scene was appropriately sad and I didn't mind having this cliffhanger since the Child was in safe hands and I expect he will reunite with Mando early next season.  Hopefully, he will start to speak words eventually.

I've grown to like Cara and I wish the character could continue to be on the show.  I've liked Fennic & Boba Fett as supporting characters but don't know how I feel about a spinoff with only them.

It was funny how Mando couldn't care less about the Dark Sabre.  Bo Katan seemed power-hungry, and both blue Mandalorians had an arrogant sort of air which made them a little unenjoyable to watch.  I didn't myself invested in their arc though I had thought they had potential in the earlier episode.  I'm not a fan of the ramifications that the dark sabre has to be won in battle.

This second season was certainly different than the first, but I think it's a good thing that they didn't just repeat the same things again.  Mando was exposed to other perspectives including other Mandalorians and deepened his bond with the Child even more, so he had quite a bit of character growth.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Camera One said:

This show is good at making it fun to watch a team fighting together.  I'm usually bored with action scenes, but for some reason, I'm more engaged with them on this show.  Seeing Mando fight with the spear was kind of neat as well.

I had read about Luke showing up so I lost the element of surprise.  I think they did a good job with it, and if Grogu learns to control the Force a little better and not get so tired out, he can fight alongside Mando in future seasons and protect himself.  The goodbye scene was appropriately sad and I didn't mind having this cliffhanger since the Child was in safe hands and I expect he will reunite with Mando early next season.  Hopefully, he will start to speak words eventually.

I've grown to like Cara and I wish the character could continue to be on the show.  I've liked Fennic & Boba Fett as supporting characters but don't know how I feel about a spinoff with only them.

It was funny how Mando couldn't care less about the Dark Sabre.  Bo Katan seemed power-hungry, and both blue Mandalorians had an arrogant sort of air which made them a little unenjoyable to watch.  I didn't myself invested in their arc though I had thought they had potential in the earlier episode.  I'm not a fan of the ramifications that the dark sabre has to be won in battle.

This second season was certainly different than the first, but I think it's a good thing that they didn't just repeat the same things again.  Mando was exposed to other perspectives including other Mandalorians and deepened his bond with the Child even more, so he had quite a bit of character growth.  

So glad that you liked the show!  

Even if you don't want to watch all of The Book of Boba Fett, I *highly* recommend that you watch episodes 5, 6, and 7. (I think there are only 7, but start with 5 and watch until the end, there might be 8 total.)  Trust me. 😉  You'll know why once you read the episode title... 

10 hours ago, Camera One said:

since the Child was in safe hands and I expect he will reunite with Mando early next season.  Hopefully, he will start to speak words eventually

I second watching the last few episodes of the Book of Boba Fett. It sets up season 3 of this show. 

• Like 1