Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Chapter Sixteen - The Rescue

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Can’t Mando and Bo-Katan do “rock, paper, scissors” for the Dark Saber? 😆

Exactly!  

Or all she has to do is hit him once and knock it out of his hand.  That's "disarming" him, isn't it?  It's not like he killed Moff Gideon to take it, so she doesn't have to hurt him either.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Exactly!  

Or all she has to do is hit him once and knock it out of his hand.  That's "disarming" him, isn't it?  It's not like he killed Moff Gideon to take it, so she doesn't have to hurt him either.

I like your thinking.

If Moff Gideon doesn't deserve to die - neither does Mando.

Mando made it absolutely clear - whatever mission Bo-Katan is on - he didn't want any part of it.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 4

Critic Matt Zoller Seitz, a fan of the show, echoing my main problem w/the finale.

Excerpt:

Where to begin lamenting this self-defeat? For one thing, the Luke cameo in the final moments of “The Rescue” continues the Disney-era Star Wars tradition of tying every supposedly new story back to the multigenerational adventures of the Skywalker family. Even universe-expanding takes like Rogue One (a clever retcon of the original Death Star’s structural flaw, with cameos by Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, Princess Leia, and other familiar characters) and Solo (an origin story for everyone’s favorite smuggler-general and the future daddy of Kylo Ren) fall prey to this tendency. It always feels like a sop to Disney stockholders and a way of hedging bets on any property that dares to take even a modest risk.

It’s hard to capture in words the galaxy-collapsing shortsightedness of requiring that every new Star Wars tale ultimately connect, however tangentially, with the same handful of genetically linked characters. Star Wars’ bizarre obsession with Force-amplifying, midi-chlorian-rich blood, and the proximity of “regular” characters to those with special blood, makes Lucas’s galaxy far, far away — a place so vast that you need hyperspace to cross it — feel as rinky-dink as a backwater American town, the kind of place where everybody is required to kiss the same local family’s butt for survival’s sake. Every time a Star Wars story genuflects to the Skywalker saga yet again, Lucas’s mythos shrinks further in the collective imagination. Sometimes it’s so small-minded that you’d think Disney’s mandate was to reimagine Mayberry with starships and laser swords.

The whole thing is worth reading. YMMV.

5 hours ago, Penman61 said:

I think it just comes down to want people what from the show. Many want it to tie into the larger Star Wars world and the characters they love. Others want it to be independent and unique. Realistically the people who want the later are always going to be disappointed because the fan base that made Star Wars successful is always going to be who they try and appeal to. 

I’ve been watching reaction videos on YouTube and it is astounding to see the number of adults crying and losing their mind at the first hint it was Luke. That one moment is either a “yes, finally” moment or “oh, God not them again moment”. 

Edited by Guest

I honestly don't see the big deal either way...?  Way back in season 1, we learned that Mando needed to search for a Jedi.  We also already knew or learned from Ahsoka that there are not many Jedi left.  So who else could it be?  I don't see it as the need to tie everything back to the Skywalker family - I saw it as revealing one of the very limited number of people actually alive and available to answer Grogu's call. 

(And, although I sound like a broken record saying this over and over, I've never seen the animated shows and I don't care to; they were boring.  So I, for one, am glad that I didn't see another "random" character that I was supposed to already know but isn't popular enough for me and people like me to actually know.  IMO, it had to either be Luke or a nobody - so either we all were "in" on the guest cameo or no one was.)

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

(And, although I sound like a broken record saying this over and over, I've never seen the animated shows and I don't care to; they were boring.  So I, for one, am glad that I didn't see another "random" character that I was supposed to already know but isn't popular enough for me and people like me to actually know.  IMO, it had to either be Luke or a nobody - so either we all were "in" on the guest cameo or no one was.)

This is so true: the people complaining about it being Luke are forgetting that not everyone watched the Clone Wars or Rebels. The only other possible candidate for this role was Ezra Bridger, but again, it's a vanishingly small segment of the SW fandom that would have known. And i'm one of the people who complain that everything ties back to the same six characters, but in this case, it was well earned and it fits with the timeline. This isn't a problem if you take away the prequel trilogy, by the way. Rogue One's cameos were consistent and character building (Tarkin, Mon Mothma). RIse of Skywalker's were problematic in about a dozen ways. Here, it's impactful, not to mention nicely done with the way they revealed the green lightsaber. 

THough I think you're wrong on the animated shows :). PLEASE WATCH THE LAST FOUR CLONE WARS EPISODES. They're better than at least six of the movies taken as a whole. I IMPLORE YOU PLEASE!!! Happy holidays. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I think it just comes down to what people what from the show. Many want it to tie into the larger Star Wars world and the characters they love. Others want it to be independent and unique.

If Phantom Menace had not obscured the whole anti-fascist theme with Jar-Jar... then things would be different. 

In contrast, Captain America: The Winter Soldier concisely summarized what Lucas tried to say in the entire prequel trilogy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Penman61 said:

Holy crap, I clicked on the link after reading your excerpt, thinking that the whole thing would be a further exploration of whether the “Jedi ex machina” ending defaulted to a nostalgia injection instead of resolving the S2 storyline on its own merits with the characters we know in this story.

But it kind of really took a turn towards implying that if you liked seeing Luke in action like that (evoking the Darth Vader Rogue One scene), you are giving into fascist tendencies.  In the immortal words of Ron Burgandy, “Well, that escalated quickly.”  Haha!

It is an interesting read, although I do think, setting aside the philosophical considerations of their argument, it is just plain naive to assume that characters that have earned their owners billions of dollars are not going to populate this show over time to keep the revenue stream going.  Plus, even to this very casual fan, it is obvious that this show was made by people with great love of the Star Wars universe.  Why wouldn’t they want to play for real with the world they grew up with?  Isn’t that every fanfic writer’s dream?  I know the author is saying that such a view is immature and not engaging with the material on a grown up level, but it seems kind of killjoy-ish, too.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Holy crap, I clicked on the link after reading your excerpt, thinking that the whole thing would be a further exploration of whether the “Jedi ex machina” ending defaulted to a nostalgia injection instead of resolving the S2 storyline on its own merits with the characters we know in this story.

But it kind of really took a turn towards implying that if you liked seeing Luke in action like that (evoking the Darth Vader Rogue One scene), you are giving into fascist tendencies.  In the immortal words of Ron Burgandy, “Well, that escalated quickly.”  Haha!

Really?! The “small-minded” part at the end did make me wonder if the author was taking it all a little too seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

It is an interesting read, although I do think, setting aside the philosophical considerations of their argument, it is just plain naive to assume that characters that have earned their owners billions of dollars are not going to populate this show over time to keep the revenue stream going.  Plus, even to this very casual fan, it is obvious that this show was made by people with great love of the Star Wars universe.  Why wouldn’t they want to play for real with the world they grew up with?  Isn’t that every fanfic writer’s dream?

Exactly. 

14 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

THough I think you're wrong on the animated shows :). PLEASE WATCH THE LAST FOUR CLONE WARS EPISODES. They're better than at least six of the movies taken as a whole. I IMPLORE YOU PLEASE!!! Happy holidays. 

Seconded!! I honestly feel like there is a group of episodes from the animated shows for everyone but they are missed because people view is as an all or nothing series. 

I used to read MZS's  Deadwood reviews, he is a very good writer but he has been called "elitist" before.   I am not thinking he is though.   I have watched only the original movies on TV very casually.  My most vivid memory  of them is Han Solo being frozen in carbonite , didn't Harrison Ford hate doing the movies and wanted Han Solo to be killed off? My entry into Star Wars as a true and involved viewer is Baby Grogu over whom I went googly eyed at first sight - so my focus is rather narrow, ha.   But even I have caught on that "The Last Jedi" seems to be a divisive movie. And judging by those comments to MZS  a very divisive one.

17 minutes ago, magdalene said:

My most vivid memory  of them is Han Solo being frozen in carbonite , didn't Harrison Ford hate doing the movies and wanted Han Solo to be killed off?

It’s probably more accurate to say his relationship with the movies is complicated. He seems to like parts and hate other parts. He did want Han killed in RotJ but that was more from a story standpoint than wanting out. 

27 minutes ago, magdalene said:

But even I have caught on that "The Last Jedi" seems to be a divisive movie.

Everything Star Wars is divisive because the fandom is a little bit crazy. 

11 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

But if I just watch the last four episodes, won't I be confused? 😉  I'll try it again.  I'll try it again from the beginning, and then if that still doesn't work, I'll watch the last four. 🙂  Happy holidays to you, too!

9 hours ago, Dani said:

Everything Star Wars is divisive because the fandom is a little bit crazy. 

I think as soon as anything can be called a "fandom" then "crazy" is a requirement. 🤣  Game of Thrones... Outlander... K-pop boy bands...

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

But if I just watch the last four episodes, won't I be confused? 😉  I'll try it again.  I'll try it again from the beginning, and then if that still doesn't work, I'll watch the last four. 🙂  Happy holidays to you, too!

You might be confused by one aspect (someone is alive, not sure where you quit Clone Wars), but the story is SO good in those last four I think it'll make you want to watch the rest of the show, and get through the lamer more boring episodes (there are more than a handful). I found the stuff that developed characters that the prequels did wrong, and the stuff that had less to do with the Skywalker / Kenobi guys and more to do with the clones, Mandalorian culture, and the intricacies of Palpatine's plan is far more interesting. In fact, if you watch the last four as a standalone, it's a great Star Wars movie (includes in my view the third best lightsaber duel in the entire series), if you watch them as a culmination of the entire series, there's a ton of emotional heft to it. Still, to get that, you have to get throuhg like seven episodes of Jedis underwater rescuing a naked lobster in like season 4. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

This is so true: the people complaining about it being Luke are forgetting that not everyone watched the Clone Wars or Rebels. The only other possible candidate for this role was Ezra Bridger, but again, it's a vanishingly small segment of the SW fandom that would have known.

Although if Clone Wars made up an all new Jedi what would stop this show from making an all new Jedi (or having a force ghosts show up). Although  I'm one who would prefer fewer connections to the movies or other shows.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although if Clone Wars made up an all new Jedi what would stop this show from making an all new Jedi (or having a force ghosts show up). Although  I'm one who would prefer fewer connections to the movies or other shows.

Nothing would stop this show from making up all new Jedi, but you can't have an all new Jedi just show up and carry any narrative weight the way a Luke Skywalker or, to a lesser extent, Ahsoka (technically not a Jedi, I know, nerds), has when they show up for a brief moment. You have to build to that "wow." I just don't think this show should be about Jedi, though, if that's the point of contention. A sprinkling every once in a great idea, but this is the Mandalorian. Give me Sabine Wren, not Kitt Fisto (dumb ass name). 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I agree, I don't watch the animated shows either so I don't know any of those characters, but anyone that knows anything about Star Wars knows the name Luke Skywalker.  And yes, I did get emotional when I saw young badass Jedi Luke and R2-D2.

What if Mando had just laid the Dark Saber down at Bo-Katan's feet would she have left it there or would she have picked it up?

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Nothing would stop this show from making up all new Jedi, but you can't have an all new Jedi just show up and carry any narrative weight the way a Luke Skywalker or, to a lesser extent, Ahsoka (technically not a Jedi, I know, nerds), has when they show up for a brief moment. You have to build to that "wow." I just don't think this show should be about Jedi, though, if that's the point of contention. A sprinkling every once in a great idea, but this is the Mandalorian. Give me Sabine Wren, not Kitt Fisto (dumb ass name). 

I definitely agree that the show should not be about Jedis, and I don't see it headed in that direction.  But IMO, more cameos by randoms could also become a big issue.  This show is about Din Djarin.  Many of us still don't know who Sabine Wren is, and don't care.  She may be another Mandalorian, but this show is about THE Mandalorian - Daddy Din.  They've been establishing his character for 2 years now.  I think why I don't care about a Luke cameo is because even someone who has never seen a movie knows who he is, unless they've lived under a rock for 40 years.  He's integrated into general pop culture as a whole, not just Star Wars fans.  The impact worked, and we all know he'll never become a focus.  Introducing even more Mandalorians gets away from the original theme of the show.  Are they ready to do that 180?  I don't know.

• Love 4

They were going for an emotional response and really only Luke would get that for the majority. So I see why they went with him. I want them to focus on more than the Skywalkers, but that is all they have focused on. 

I was more excited for Ahsoka, but that's just me. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed this episode, but I remember seeing Star Wars in theaters when I was kid so there's the nostalgia factor.

I REALLY don't want to get into an argument with anyone, I just feel that if you're going to call your show Star Wars there are certain elements that will exist. Like Jedi and the Empire and yes, even the Skywalkers. Otherwise, call yourself something else and be about people in space. You use the Star Wars name because it's puts butts in the seats.  Do you handcuff yourself going forward when the Skywalkers should all be dead and gone, yes. Then don't affiliate your show with Star Wars, just write an awesome script that has nothing to do with Jedi/Skywalkers etc.

I am looking forward to seeing the show move forward without so much emphasis on Grogu (who I like) and maybe more focus on the Mandalorians/Mandalore.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They were going for an emotional response and really only Luke would get that for the majority.

33 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

I would have been even more upset had Grogu gone off with some Jedi that I had never heard of. At least with it being Luke, I know Grogu is in good hands. 

I feel like these points are a good illustration of the best and worst things about the cameo.  I was happy to see Luke because I assumed that Luke was making diehard, “grew-up-with-the-franchise ingrained in their souls“ fans (of which I am not one) super excited to see him in action in his prime.  It was kind of joyful to know that it would make so many people happy.

But on the other hand, it does rely entirely and completely on nostalgia and your recognition of Luke being a iconic hero to convey the emotional point, when the show has not really fallen back on that before.  In fact, as a non-fan of the Star Wars universe, I would marvel at the care this show took to establish the world and the emotion.  Like, Din getting out of his traffic ticket in that earlier episode when he emptily says, “May the Force be with you” to those “cops” as some kind of non secular greeting and when he generically refers to Grogu’s “powers” instead of “The Force” to Ahsoka does the work of subtly underscoring that the Jedi are few and far between and their cultural impact is diffuse.   That’s doing the work of building a world here on this show.  And I did not know about Ahsoka before her episode, but that episode introduced her as a warrior, as someone who showed particular gentleness with Grogu and established her trustworthiness vis-a-vis Din and Grogu.

Luke, who we don’t know in this story, swoops in and gets the heroes out of their jam without their input. He doesn’t say his name, or what he’s going to do with Grogu, and if this scene had played out exactly the same with any other unknown Jedi, I would have been like, “Din, why are you handing your son over to a scary unnamed fighter to take to parts unknown”?  Luke is all shorthand here, a pat solution.  But it was also cool and fun (except when he took Grogu away).

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

I REALLY don't want to get into an argument with anyone, I just feel that if you're going to call your show Star Wars there are certain elements that will exist. Like Jedi and the Empire and yes, even the Skywalkers.

Yes and no. I don't have a problem with no Skywalker's or Empire in the High Republic or Old Republic. However, this show is set 4-5 years after RotJ. The idea that we wouldn't see characters from the Original Trilogy or Rebels/Clone Wars just doesn't jive.

I also don't expect it to become a routine thing.  I don't think Jedi or Skywalkers will take over the show. This story is about Din and, they already setup a S3 story for him

• Love 4
9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Clone Wars was designed as a group of anthologies. It almost like a series made of several mini-movies. It’s not a show that requires you to watch straight through. If you’re not liking the plot at one point you can easily skip forward until it shifts to a different story and usually a different group of characters. 

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I definitely agree that the show should not be about Jedis, and I don't see it headed in that direction.  But IMO, more cameos by randoms could also become a big issue.  This show is about Din Djarin.  Many of us still don't know who Sabine Wren is, and don't care.  She may be another Mandalorian, but this show is about THE Mandalorian - Daddy Din.  They've been establishing his character for 2 years now. 

Where do you want the show to go story wise? To me bringing other Mandalorians in is the natural progression to telling Din’s story. I get the feeling from posts here that you and others do not want the story to go in that direction. The more I read here this season the more I sense that there are clashing perspectives on what the show should be. 

6 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I feel like these points are a good illustration of the best and worst things about the cameo.  I was happy to see Luke because I assumed that Luke was making diehard, “grew-up-with-the-franchise ingrained in their souls“ fans (of which I am not one) super excited to see him in action in his prime.  It was kind of joyful to know that it would make so many people happy.

But on the other hand, it does rely entirely and completely on nostalgia and your recognition of Luke being a iconic hero to convey the emotional point, when the show has not really fallen back on that before.  In fact, as a non-fan of the Star Wars universe, I would marvel at the care this show took to establish the world and the emotion.  Like, Din getting out of his traffic ticket in that earlier episode when he emptily says, “May the Force be with you” to those “cops” as some kind of non secular greeting and when he generically refers to Grogu’s “powers” instead of “The Force” to Ahsoka does the work of subtly underscoring that the Jedi are few and far between and their cultural impact is diffuse.   That’s doing the work of building a world here on this show.  And I did not know about Ahsoka before her episode, but that episode introduced her as a warrior, as someone who showed particular gentleness with Grogu and established her trustworthiness vis-a-vis Din and Grogu.

Luke, who we don’t know in this story, swoops in and gets the heroes out of their jam without their input. He doesn’t say his name, or what he’s going to do with Grogu, and if this scene had played out exactly the same with any other unknown Jedi, I would have been like, “Din, why are you handing your son over to a scary unnamed fighter to take to parts unknown”?  Luke is all shorthand here, a pat solution.  But it was also cool and fun (except when he took Grogu away).

This is a good point and exactly why I did not think it was going to be Luke who showed up at the end. Luke was a great reveal but he really doesn’t link into this show and the world it’s building. Ahsoka or another Jedi would behold a bridge between this show and the spin-off’s in way Luke can’t. To me that’s why using Luke was a fan service moment while Boba, Bo Katan and Ahsoka weren’t. I was thrilled to see Luke but it being him really didn’t advance the plot. 

Edited by Guest
17 minutes ago, Dani said:

This is a good point and exactly why I did not think it was going to be Luke who showed up at the end. Luke was a great reveal but he really doesn’t link into this show and the world it’s building. Ahsoka or another Jedi would behold a bridge between this show and the spin-off’s in way Luke can’t. To me that’s why using Luke was a fan service moment while Boba, Bo Katan and Ahsoka weren’t. I was thrilled to see Luke but it being him really didn’t advance the plot. 

Ahsoka had her chance at stewardship for Grogu and passed, so it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to have her show up to rescue them, right? Bo-Katan and Ahsoka showing up as non-fan service I agree, but the rejuvenated Boba Fett has always been nothing BUT fan service, back from when comic books revived him post ROTJ. THat's not to say THIS particular SW fan wasn't happy to see him show up and earn all the respect he's been, in my view, unduly granted over the decards. I agree Luke doesn't advance the plot, more like, sadly, he puts a pin in the Grogu arc. I'll iss the little guy. You can count on it getting misty here when Mando is idly thumbing the ball he saved from the Razorcrest wreckage, but I just don't think we're going to get a lot of Grogu / Luke action going forward. I think the story is, for better or worse, about Mandalore next year.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Ahsoka had her chance at stewardship for Grogu and passed, so it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to have her show up to rescue them, right? Bo-Katan and Ahsoka showing up as non-fan service I agree, but the rejuvenated Boba Fett has always been nothing BUT fan service, back from when comic books revived him post ROTJ. THat's not to say THIS particular SW fan wasn't happy to see him show up and earn all the respect he's been, in my view, unduly granted over the decards. 

Obviously I disagree. It was absolutely fan service but it also advanced the plot for Din as a character. Each Mandalorian he met helped get him to that last scene. That’s what keeps it from being nothing but fan service in my mind. 

If Grogu had reached out to her I think Ahsoka would have shown up. She wanted it to be his choice. If anything I think Luke showing up is confirmation Grogu will be back very soon. They’re not going to sideline him off-camera. If it was anyone else they might have moved Grogu to another show temporarily. Luke is the one character who is unlikely to be anything more than a cameo. 

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Where do you want the show to go story wise? To me bringing other Mandalorians in is the natural progression to telling Din’s story. I get the feeling from posts here that you and others do not want the story to go in that direction. The more I read here this season the more I sense that there are clashing perspectives on what the show should be. 

The show was established and originally sold as a "space western" with the lone wolf bounty hunter out there saving the galaxy one bad guy at a time.  Then he picked up his sidekick little buddy, and they were off on adventures.  His task became about the little buddy.  And that's the show I liked.  I want more buddy adventures, I guess?

It's pretty obvious to me that Din cares nothing about the Darksaber he just found himself wielding, nor does he care about "saving" Mandalore.  He wasn't born on Mandalore, he's not from there, and it's unclear to me if he's ever even been there; was he even raised and trained there?  So why should he care?  But now all of a sudden because there are these other characters from other shows, he's supposed to care?  And in turn, the audience is supposed to care?  Hm... I don't know about that.  What about the characters and places that we've already seen him establish relationships with? 

In the 2 brief appearances that we've seen, I don't like Bo Katan.  So I don't care to see more of her.  But it's clear that we will, so I'll learn to deal with that.  But even more random Mandalorians just like Bo Katan?  Why?  Go back to your own shows and stay out of my buddy adventures.  😉 

I get that Din is learning about his "history" and can help save his people's homeland... and go on his own personal growth story too.  But I think I'd actually like to see more of from when he was with his parents and before he was a Mandalorian.  And either way, I definitely want to see him make up his own mind about his beliefs and where he stands - not just do what another Mandalorian tells him to do.  Bo Katan just reminds me of the mean girl bully from high school.

And all of that said, what happened to Axe Woves?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

The show was established and originally sold as a "space western" with the lone wolf bounty hunter out there saving the galaxy one bad guy at a time.  Then he picked up his sidekick little buddy, and they were off on adventures.  His task became about the little buddy.  And that's the show I liked.  I want more buddy adventures, I guess?

Thanks for answering. I feel like the crux of the issue is if people view the show as The Mandalorian or Star Wars: The Mandalorian. Neither desire is wrong but they pull the show into completely different directions. 

It's pretty obvious to me that Din cares nothing about the Darksaber he just found himself wielding, nor does he care about "saving" Mandalore.  He wasn't born on Mandalore, he's not from there, and it's unclear to me if he's ever even been there; was he even raised and trained there?  So why should he care?  But now all of a sudden because there are these other characters from other shows, he's supposed to care?  And in turn, the audience is supposed to care?  Hm... I don't know about that.  What about the characters and places that we've already seen him establish relationships with? 

Personally I see as the opposite. I cared about Mandalore because being a Mandalorian is so fundamental to who Din is. I find the prospect of exploring Din’s relationship to Mandalore to be fascinating. 

In the 2 brief appearances that we've seen, I don't like Bo Katan.  So I don't care to see more of her.  But it's clear that we will, so I'll learn to deal with that.  But even more random Mandalorians just like Bo Katan?  Why?  Go back to your own shows and stay out of my buddy adventures.  😉

Other Mandalorians are not just like Bo Katan. I think the excitement over her appearance gave the impression she’s a hero when she’s anything but. The history of Mandalore is very complex and they were introduced as pacifists with Bo Katan and the rest of Death Watch the equivalent to Al-Qaeda. Her introduction was kidnapping Ahsoka and terrorizing a village. 

If they introduce Sabine she is nothing like any Mandalorian we have seen before. 

Edited by Guest

Cloaked mysterious figure in black. Was anyone else hoping for a

reformed

Barriss? Probably just me. I also misremembered her lightsaber color, or rather, mixed it up with Luminara’s.

Does this mean that if they had done nothing, Luke would have essentially come in and saved Grogu anyway? Imagine if he had “won” the dark saber? 😆

Edited by Meushell
On 12/24/2020 at 2:39 AM, Meushell said:

Does this mean that if they had done nothing, Luke would have essentially come in and saved Grogu anyway? Imagine if he had “won” the dark saber? 😆

Gideon would have jumped to hyperspace if the heroes did not capture the bridge, so Luke would have to keep chasing him around the galaxy.

• Love 2

Regarding Luke being the Jedi to train Grogu, I can be counted in the group that liked the decision. Partly due to the fact that it was nice to see Luke in his prime. Also I think it makes sense that Luke would train Grogu while Ahsoka wouldn't. Ahsoka saw Anakin become Vader due to his attachments. However, Luke saw Vader return to being Anakin due to those attachments.

• Love 6

I think for most we didn't want Grogu to go with any Jedi. 

It was nice to see Luke in his prime. This show has done wonders with character building that the movies never did for Boba Fett and now Luke. Even though his was a short scene. 

• Love 6

Something that gets me every time I see it but, I keep forgetting to mention. What is up with the Empire and their hatred of railings? I can't remember if it was Family Guy or Robot Chicken that did a gag about it but, I had to laugh when Fennec/Cars shot the Trooper and he fell right into space.

I've been watching a lot of Luke reaction videos and I Flove that it's the Green Lightsaber that gets everyone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Something that gets me every time I see it but, I keep forgetting to mention. What is up with the Empire and their hatred of railings? I can't remember if it was Family Guy or Robot Chicken that did a gag about it but, I had to laugh when Fennec/Cars shot the Trooper and he fell right into space.

I've been watching a lot of Luke reaction videos and I Flove that it's the Green Lightsaber that gets everyone.

They actually pointed this out in one of the earlier episodes: the one where they destroy the cloning facility on NAvarro, the blue guy has to go out to shut the reactor down or drain the tubes or whatver, and right before he takes that first step he turns bac and says "There's not even a safety railing here!"

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I laughed when they fell into space. One of the things I really like about Filoni is that he acknowledges things like this in his shows. Like all the comments that stormtroopers can’t hit anything.  One of my favorite episodes in Rebels is when Rex puts on stormtrooper armor and suddenly can’t shoot anything because he can’t see. Rex’s hatred for that armor always makes me laugh. 

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yes. I love that everyone goes through the same steps in realizing that it’s Luke. It shows that the show really nailed that reveal. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

laughed when they fell into space. One of the things I really like about Filoni is that he acknowledges things like this in his shows. Like all the comments that stormtroopers can’t hit anything.  

Blue Harvest is on TBS I actually turned it on right before the railing scene. 😂

I just finished the season, and I'm deeply divided on it and this episode.  This all felt too abrupt for me, like we skipped another season of central character development to jump ahead to more universe tie-ins.  I needed more time with just Mando and the kid in this episode and in the season as a whole.  I'm okay with bringing in more about the Mandalorians, or the Empire remnants, or the New Republic, but all combined in one episode they crowd out the two characters that made me have hope for Star Wars again.

The fights with the spear were great, and glad to see Ming Na Wen as always.

When Ahsoka Tano said another jedi might reach out, realistically there was only one who would.  I hoped that it would be Sebastian Stan and not a digital clone.  No disrespect to Mark Hamill, but it was distracting.  This is again an area where I feel like they jumped a season ahead.  I wanted more time between him and Mando drifting around the outer edges of the galaxy together and bonding before a separation.

On 12/18/2020 at 10:27 PM, Cthulhudrew said:

EDIT2: Also, am I the only one that is reminded of Maximilian from The Black Hole when I see the Dark Troopers?

Nope, my mind went there.  Which is probably not a good sign.

• Love 3

I thought the finale was great and as soon as I saw the X-Wing, I knew it was Luke and it had been what I was hoping for for weeks.  Luke is the only logical character it could have been, because his job was to bring the Jedi back (which the sequel trilogy inexplicably didn't want to show) and he's the only person who could have shown up without requiring an explanation.  I'm glad it was him and it was thrilling to see the character again in his prime.  It went a long way towards washing the bad taste out of my mouth from The Last Jedi.

Terrific action and cinema.  The shared universe they are building is very exciting.

I have no doubt that Grogu will be back next season.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Fake artificial tension for season three nothing more with the Dark Saber, considering that Sabine Wren in Rebels simply gave the Dark Saber to Bo-Katan not only in front of her own team, but in front of other Mandalorians as well, and Bo accepted it.

13 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Fake artificial tension for season three nothing more with the Dark Saber, considering that Sabine Wren in Rebels simply gave the Dark Saber to Bo-Katan not only in front of her own team, but in front of other Mandalorians as well, and Bo accepted it.

And then Bo-Katan lost it. I don’t have a problem that she would need to win it back to be considered legitimate after already failing twice at ruling Mandalore. Rebels does setup the idea that it needs to be won in battle. Sabine’s mother tells her the same thing Gideon tells Mando. 

On 1/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, MisterGlass said:

I just finished the season, and I'm deeply divided on it and this episode.  This all felt too abrupt for me, like we skipped another season of central character development to jump ahead to more universe tie-ins.  I needed more time with just Mando and the kid in this episode and in the season as a whole

Yes, that's the crux of why I ended up so dissatisfied with the season even though I had loved most of the episodes.  I felt everything I had enjoyed about the show was taken away from me in the last 5 minutes.  It's going to be a very different show next season and one that leaves me out in the cold.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Yes, that's the crux of why I ended up so dissatisfied with the season even though I had loved most of the episodes.  I felt everything I had enjoyed about the show was taken away from me in the last 5 minutes.  It's going to be a very different show next season and one that leaves me out in the cold.

We have absolutely no clue what next season is going to look like. It’s all just speculation and there a several paths the show could choose. Why assume it’s going to completely abandoned what has worked?