Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E05: You Don't Strike Me as a Renaissance Man

• Start Topic

Fyi for those that rely on their DVRs, this episode wasn't picked up as new, even though it says it is in the description.  I guess because it was preempted last week.  I had to add it as a single episode.  Next week's ep is set to record as usual.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I want to go play those carnival games!  That looked like a really fun place.

The portrait thing reminded me of the carnival masks in Italy.  I think the right way to do that would have been to pick a person, then go find the portrait that matched.  Or was that not allowed?

Those poor cars!  Especially Will and James' car!  It hurt my teeth to hear them grinding that clutch so badly.  

I am not in the least bit sorry that Michelle and Victoria were eliminated. I only feel a little bad that they drove around in circles for six and a half hours.  I did appreciate the map showing us where they were relative to the museum/arcade.  

• Love 13

I thought in was missing this show, but I now remember why I stopped watching it; the lack of likable teams.  The dating guys get on my last nerve. The couple who came in second tonight I’m starting to like, but they were annoying me for a while. Don’t really like either sister team.  The brother sister could be okay, buti I Don’t like them either. I like the football team the best, all the other teams have annoyed me in some way

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The portrait thing reminded me of the carnival masks in Italy.  I think the right way to do that would have been to pick a person, then go find the portrait that matched.  Or was that not allowed?

That's the way Hung did it.  And I thought the same thing - it seems very much like the way to do it.

When Michelle and Victoria were in South America, they said 'merci' when they thanked people.  In France, did I hear them say 'thank you', or did I imagine that?

• Love 2

Good episode.  It's always interesting to me when one team breezes through the driving, the navigation, and the tasks, but other teams stumble. 

It wasn't clear to me at first, but was this a double road block, i.e., one team member had to do the picture task and the other had to do the carnival task?  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

When Michelle and Victoria were in South America, they said 'merci' when they thanked people.  In France, did I hear them say 'thank you', or did I imagine that?

Maybe they didn't realize that the native language of France is French.  LOL.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I can't make fun, I suck at driving stick shift. Can still see the look on my dad's face as I was spinning the wheels of his car.

Way to go Gary on nailing the art challenge! Breaking those dumb jock stereotypes.

Won't miss Michelle and her sister. Blonds growing on me with their perseverance.

• Love 21

Cheeky little editors putting in a splash noise when Riley mimicked a golf shot and of course the fabulous cut of Leo hoping Will and James were stuck at the airport and then hello! Will and James.

My husband once - ONCE - tried to teach me how to drive a stick.  I ground the gears, stalled the engine and nearly gave us whiplash.  And that was that.

I have carpal tunnel and tendinitis.  Pretty sure I would have left that pie challenge down one limb.

Oh my goodness they used to have the horse racing game at the New York State fair and I MISS IT.

I really thought the episode was going to end with the four sisters still in Paris, driving around a kilometer at a time.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

That was good editing. The blondes were never seen with another team & I just assumed they’d be last. The other sisters annoyed me (the nasty one) so I’m not totally upset. I can’t imagine being in a car for 6 hours and running parallel to where they needed to be. They were probably exhausted and hungry and didn’t know what they were doing. Hopefully, we’ll see all the teams together a little more. I get tired of seeing one team by themselves the whole show. It’s kind of boring. Also, you still need to know how to drive stick. Who knew?

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

That was a pretty fun yet tough leg. But I would love to get the details on how the sisters spent SIX AND A HALF HOURS driving to someplace relatively close.  I know Paris traffic is bad but there has to be more to it. 

The only bit of direction that we saw they were following was that the arcade was "by the river". This is really not helpful in Paris where the entire city is centered around the river.

9 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I can't make fun, I suck at driving stick shift. Can still see the look on my dad's face as I was spinning the wheels of his car.

Way to go Gary on nailing the art challenge! Breaking those dumb jock stereotypes.

Won't miss Michelle and her sister. Blonds growing on me with their perseverance.

Me too! I can't stand pretentious Leo & Alana, so the blondes aligning with them turned me off. But they really had a great attitude today, never having a meltdown or getting short with each other. I'm glad they're still in it.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 20

The pie-throwing was my highlight....laughed so hard.  Nice surprise for sure.

I can't figure out, like others have mentioned, how Victoria/Michelle were driving that fairly short distance for 6 1/2 hours.  Yes, it was raining; yes, traffic can be bad -- but they were getting maps with specific directions.   What a nightmare for them...but I won't miss them.

Well, Gary is a Renaissance Man!  That was funny....he was not kidding.

I think the smartest one (forget who it was) picked out Jesus in one of the paintings....and had no trouble finding the "duplicate" because he stood out.  (I really thought some of the living doubles were not really very close in appearance to the paintings.)

• Love 18

This is the first episode I've watched in a long while.  Like years, I think.  I was glad Victoria and Michelle got eliminated.  I don't know which was which, but that one sister was being a serious you know what to her sister.  I have the worst sense of direction, but man, they seemed like they really really really really got lost.

I was rooting for the blondes.  I do like a good underdog and even "knowing" they were last, they had a pretty good attitude.  

I would not have been good at that painting roadblock.  My partner would have totally have done that.  I don't know about the carnival games.  My mom always said they were a waste of money, and so I've only played a couple my entire life.

Did they get rid of detours?  Or did they just have two roadblocks tonight just because?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

How did Aparna manage to mess up -that- many times? What was she looking at? No one else seemed to have anywhere near that amount of trouble.

That would totally have been me.  I do NOT have an eye for detail.

12 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

I think the smartest one (forget who it was) picked out Jesus in one of the paintings....and had no trouble finding the "duplicate" because he stood out.  (I really thought some of the living doubles were not really very close in appearance to the paintings.)

I think it was Chee Lee, but I'm not sure. I remember it was a woman.  It wasn't the blondes and it obviously wasn't Aparna, and I don't think it was MIchelle and Victoria and it definitely wasn't Leo's partner, whose name has escaped me.

• Love 3

After, the 2nd try Aparna could have had the person tell her who they were and she still would have been wrong. I think it messed with her head and she was basically done. How else ro explain so many attempts whereas everyone else pretty much sailed through the task. 

1 minute ago, Balmafula said:

Here are most of the paintings from the first RB, in order

:

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Chantilly-Portrait_d'Hom

Scipione-Pulzone-PORTRAIT-D-HOMME.jpg

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Chantilly-Portrait_d'And

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Chantilly,_Nicolas_Pouss

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Chantilly,_Fran%C3%A7ois

Agliardi_11_Bonifacio_(Moroni).jpg

Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Chantilly-Berger_des_Pyr

At first, I thought each team member had to find all of them. Finding one person sounded doable to me. 

• Love 2

Ugh.  The hipster brothers in the museum made my skin crawl what with their big obnoxious beards and beanies among all these elegant looking people in period costumes and looking much more kempt.

I liked the pie challenge.  That is all.

Well, fair thee well, Michelle and Victoria.  I enjoyed you.  But I am a bit glad that Kaylynn and Haley are still in the race.  They've grown on me and I pray they stick around more.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Balmafula said:

Here are most of the paintings from the first RB, in order

Wow! Thanks. Wasn't one of the people Aparna brought to the judge in a blue dress? I know you said this was -most- of the paintings so there could still be one of someone in a blue dress but I wish they had been more clear about who she was looking for compared to who she found. I believe in the mask task in Italy they showed the exact difference when someone got it wrong.

• Love 2

I was actually surprised so many did it so quickly.  There were only 6 (7?) correct combinations; so picking a painting that had a person in the party was key. I B think she kept picking paintings that didn’t have a person that TPTB has placed

• Love 1

Well, that was dissapointing on so many levels.

Victoria...my eye candy is gone! So sad to see her go but it was surely a spectacular flame out....6 hours in the car?! If there was ever a time to find a "Fern" that was the time.

On a side note I can't help to wonder if the Cajun Asians were half sisters...I hope this doesn't sound the wrong way but it seemed like Victoria had more Asian features than her sister. All season I was speculating if that was the case and maybe one of the reasons they weren't close not having the same parents but maybe they do who knows....all I know is a lot of posters didn't seem to like them but I was rooting for Victoria an her sister by default.

So anyway back to the dissapointment.  I took evil delight in watching Will struggle with the manual transmission but from there it was all down hill. It was  ridiculous that the boyfriend was snarking on Leo who saved your ass  and I don't even like Leo.

Yeah worst episode of the seasons...the tasks were VERY boring and my mind was wandering during the old timey arcade so much so that I didn't realize until it was too late that the Cajun Asians hadn't made it there yet. Not sure why Aparna was struggling so. Speaking of her...she hasn't really developed any clear personality.

Frankly the legs in Western parts of the world are never as good...its much more fun watching the culture shock as racers are plunged into the madness of a fully crowed train in India for example.

Continue not to like the Beard Bros...because if you take away their beards then they are simply more Young Alpha Male racers that have dominated past races so many times and sap the enjoyment out of the race. ALso I was squemish about their nasty facial hair hanging over the bowls of whip cream they were working on. But it was good for one thing...back in college I did a week in a hotel bakery as part of the curriculum and I remember an instructor sending me back to the dorm saying "run a razor across your face." At the time (1987) I thought he was a dick but at long last I UNDERSTAND...I really didn't like seeing those beards so close to the whip cream.

The amount of security at the Chateu must be staggering. I wonder if that was the same chateau in James Bond's MOONRAKER...it sure looked like it.

Pie throwing...totally cribbed from Cousin Oliver's introductory episode of the BRADY BUNCH. Still a pie to the face beats a watermelon any day of the week.

Ending on a positive note...I really FEEL the strength and love between Hung and Chee...they feel so real as a couple. It's hard to explalin.

Voya Con Dias Victoria!

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Wow! Thanks. Wasn't one of the people Aparna brought to the judge in a blue dress? I know you said this was -most- of the paintings so there could still be one of someone in a blue dress but I wish they had been more clear about who she was looking for compared to who she found. I believe in the mask task in Italy they showed the exact difference when someone got it wrong.

They had to name the painter....maybe that is what she kept messing up?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I think the right way to do that would have been to pick a person, then go find the portrait that matched.  Or was that not allowed?

But there were only a few people who matched. If you picked someone at random there was a 90% chance that there was no painting for that person.

58 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I can't make fun, I suck at driving stick shift.

I drove a manual from the day I got my license (actually for 4-5 years before that) for about 30 years. Then I got an automatic. I have not driven a manual shift in the last 17ish years, and if I tried I'd stall the engine, rake the gears and jerk forward, But only for the minute or so it would take me to get accustomed to the clutch again.

58 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That was good editing. The blondes were never seen with another team & I just assumed they’d be last.

Me too. I swallowed the fake-out... and was sure they were gone. The two who were eliminated were not my favourites, but they must have screwed their navigation up bigtime! How else could they slip so far behind that the blondes caught up and passed them?

And the DBBCF girls were surprisingly calm about what they must have been sure was their Philimination...

26 minutes ago, toodywoody said:

I give props to Leo for helping Will and Whine.

Me too. I was saying out loud: "Now get out of their car and lock the door with the keys inside!" Because I'm a mean guy.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

I really liked this episode.  Fun challenges that were connected to Paris but not overly obvious.  Great scenery.  Self driving!  Yeah!  For being in such a mainstream location I think it was fresh and new. 

I'd love to know how/why Arpana kept screwing up the art challenge.  Was she simply choosing the wrong actors, or screwing up the artist names?

I thought the first two portrait match guys were the same - didn't realize they weren't until seeing the post above.  They were quite similar.  Did the matched up actors leave the room after they were matched?  So the 2nd team only had 8 to choose from, then 7, etc.?  If that's the case, then I give the later teams extra props, as their odds of finding a match were less than the earlier teams.  (Like most needle in a haystack challenges, it's an extra reward to get there first.) 

Beard Bro got it right - go for something distinctive, and also eye level.  I would have looked for hats, or possibly outrageous hair styles. 

Whipping all that cream must have been hard! I've only attempted to hand whip cream once, and ever since then have used my KitchenAid.  Did the racers shower after that task?  The blondes were the only ones who looked like they had whipped cream in their hair.  Everyone else looked pretty clean.  Also, a number of the women had problems with the torque hats falling over their faces - that's a detail production shouldn't have missed.  Everyone should have had properly fitting hats. 

Will and James can leave now.  Right now.  Someone goes out of their way to help you and you bitch about it not being enough?  Wow.  Just wow.  And all the other teams stuck behind Will & James that didn't share the pie fight info with Leo and Alana also suck.  Leo helped them as much as he helped himself by moving those guys out of the way.  On the other hand, Leo gloating about Will and James still being stuck as they breezed through the door was rather funny.

Loved DeAngelo's look of wonder as Gary went on about his love of art.  There were at least 2 or 3 choice statements during that clip that could have been used as the episode title. 

I am glad Kaylynn and Haley made it through.  I think they had such positive attitudes even though they were certain they were sunk.  They had such fun at the carnival games.  I'm perfectly ok with Victoria and Michelle going.  I didn't enjoy them much.  Glad they've bonded.  Wonder if it's lasted.  I'd love for someone to post a map showing the routes each of these teams ended up taking.  6 hours.  damn.  I wonder if they switch out the production team at any point in all of that.  Or if the camera/sound guys at some point say hey, I'm taking a nap, let me know if/when we get there.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13

Fun episode, though I'm not really emotionally invested. Maybe if I binge this season off my DVR.

I'm thinking this episode was about going to Hell. Well, several of them. Stick Shift Hell, Lost Hell, and especially Roadblock Hell. I think that Aparna had gone far down that last one to hear the anguished cries of Chris from TAR4 as he kept botching the Venetian Mask Roadblock.

Lost for six-and-a-half hours. Damn. Lenny probably found Notre Dame twice in that time. Goes to show that you never know what could happen. Kaylynn & Haley probably didn't see a team once they arrive in Paris, and they still finished in the running.

Lots of fun stuff. I was amused by the carny games because that more or less belongs to Survivor.  But these were Ye Olde Carnivale Games. Totally different. I kept waiting for Ye Olde Skeeball. Art Roadblock was also cool, but I can see how you can lose hope and patience. Also, if that was me there and the judge needed proper pronunciation, then I would have been royally screwed.

Cream pies! And I now have a reason to dislike alliances. Why did Riley and Maddison have to snitch to their buddies about the cream pie surprise? I mean, it's still fun, but it's funnier when people aren't expecting it. I'm also wondering whether the "chefs" would have gotten paid if one of the Racers dropped a pie. And yeah, I kinda cringed at those bushy beads near the cream. I don't dislike the volleyball players, though -- per @North of Eden's post -- I don't consider them to be alphas that would breeze through the race. Fun fact: an all-male team hasn't won since Dave & Connor in TAR24.

I don't know how to drive stick. Is it that tough to learn? The way I've seen teams struggle with it in the past, I'd think you'd need a license to drive a stick shift.

Edited by Lantern7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

The sisters that got knocked out remind me of my mom. Whenever she would get lost or miss an exit she would just keep driving. She wouldn't try to backtrack or figure something else out for hours. Yes, I think that's crazy too. Let me also point out that the last time she did this it was in my car...with a navigation system.

Edited by Racj82
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Loved loved loved DeAngelo's laughing disbelief at Gary being all "I love art". Also Gary's " I have art in my house." And damn, Gary was good!

That throwing the ball through the mouth would have killed me.

ETA: my father had me spend an afternoon driving stick when I was car hunting for my first car. I found it hard, but if I'd driven it for a week probably would have gotten okay at it. An afternoon of lessons unless you pick it up like that isn't enough. You need to drive a stick for at least a week, in my opinion, to get it decently.

Edited by mertensia
  • Love 5

Every week the football players get even more likeable! Not only are they cos-players but the one likes art. Who knew!?

Will & Grace can fuck right off. “Leo didn’t have to be such an ass,” one of them says after Leo helped them. 🙄 I’m sorry Leo didn’t drive you there himself or teach you how to drive stick.

Not unhappy at all about who was eliminated! I still have no idea which was which, but the one bitchy sister annoyed me from day one. The other one was OK, but she brought the whole team down. How the hell were they lost for six and a half hours when on the map they had to go a couple blocks!? 😲

• Love 22
43 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Art Roadblock was also cool, but I can see how you can lose hope and patience. Also, if that was me there and the judge needed proper pronunciation, then I would have been royally screwed.

The pronunciation wasn't important. I speak French and some of the pronunciations were dreadful - you just had to be in the ballpark.

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 7

The way the art Roadblock was described made it seem practically impossible. There were only 8 people in that room who matched 8 paintings on the wall? So you couldn’t just pick a person and look for them in the painting and vice versa because the vast majority would not have a match. I have no idea how almost everyone seemed to do it so quickly. 🤷‍♀️

When the chefs were throwing pies at Leo and Alana, all I could think was that I would be pissed if someone did that to me and got it all over my glasses. I hope they were able to clean up or something. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

The way the art Roadblock was described made it seem practically impossible. There were only 8 people in that room who matched 8 paintings on the wall? So you couldn’t just pick a person and look for them in the painting and vice versa because the vast majority would not have a match. I have no idea how almost everyone seemed to do it so quickly. 🤷‍♀️

I would have to watch again to be sure, (after it's over I'll probably binge it), but I think it looked like they kept referring to their clue. Like, they had a list of the paintings that they had to find, then notice the details of the painting, then find the person with those details while remembering the artist. I think the ones that did well looked for all 8 paintings and then decided which had a person in it that could be easily identifiable. That's why I can't figure out what Aparna was doing, it seemed like she was just grabbing random people?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I would have to watch again to be sure, (after it's over I'll probably binge it), but I think it looked like they kept referring to their clue. Like, they had a list of the paintings that they had to find, then notice the details of the painting, then find the person with those details while remembering the artist. I think the ones that did well looked for all 8 paintings and then decided which had a person in it that could be easily identifiable. That's why I can't figure out what Aparna was doing, it seemed like she was just grabbing random people?

Ahhhhh OK. If that’s what the actual task was, that makes it a lot easier! Otherwise it seems like they could be there for hours. 

• Love 1

The pie throwing was my favorite and least favorite thing. I grew up watching Soupy Sales so a pie in the face is always going to be funny. Whoever those guys were who were throwing the pies were really putting some energy behind it! Pasty chefs at the Chateau? But if it was happening to me, I might have wanted some revenge on somebody--pie throwers, producers, somebody.

Otoh, Phil waiting for me on the Ponts des Arts? Oui, s'il vous plait! 

• Love 3

OK.  It's official.  I'm a fan of The Blondes now.  I've gotten over my pretty blonde = mean girl prejudice.  They stuck it out, knew they were behind, even had the extra task, and just got through it.  Without complaint.  They put their shoulders to it, and got it done, and appeared to enjoy the hell out of it.

Of course, now that I've declared my fandom, they'll be eliminated next week.

Now, there's the other sisters.  Wow.  They deserved to come in last.  That's some especially bad navigation.  I get being panicked and lost.  But six hours lost?  That's pretty special.  I've been lost in a foreign country before the ubiquitous GPS (UK, so no language barrier, but driving on the left!) when my carefully studied and printed out Yahoo! Maps! directions proved useless due to two separate highway construction projects and detours.  I drove around the Derby area, looking for my hotel, for an hour.  I finally decided to go back to the Birmingham airport and try again from the start of my directions.  Luckily I spotted my hotel from the highway as I was leaving Derby and managed to wind back to it.  I knew what it looked like because I'd looked it up on the internet before leaving.  I wonder if that might have helped the sisters, if they could stop long enough to ask someone to look up the location on a phone or tablet so they could see landmarks and visual cues to guide them.  Obviously what they were doing wasn't working for them.

I still love Hung and Chee, though I laughed like a loon when her toque completely fell over her head and she caromed blindly around the room holding her pies out in front of her like an offering to the gods.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Well, that was dissapointing on so many levels.

Victoria...my eye candy is gone! So sad to see her go but it was surely a spectacular flame out....6 hours in the car?! If there was ever a time to find a "Fern" that was the time.

On a side note I can't help to wonder if the Cajun Asians were half sisters...I hope this doesn't sound the wrong way but it seemed like Victoria had more Asian features than her sister. All season I was speculating if that was the case and maybe one of the reasons they weren't close not having the same parents but maybe they do who knows....all I know is a lot of posters didn't seem to like them but I was rooting for Victoria an her sister by default.

I believe they are full sisters and I think they are half Asian... their dad is white and their mom is of Vietnamese descent.  So it’s possible that one set of genes is more prominent in one sister than the other.  

I don’t know why they spent over 6 hours in the car.  You’d think that they would stop more often and ask for directions.  Especially once they got back into Paris.

I really enjoyed the tasks this episode.  The art task, I think there were only 8 people in the whole room who matched a painting.  And each only was used once, so it became progressively harder for those who came later.  

I’m hoping for a double elimination of Leo and Alana and Will and James next time   Both teams are irritating.  Aparna and Eswar can leave too.   Too arrogant, too boring.

Still liking the football players, the volleyball brothers, and Hung and Chee as my three favorite teams.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I believe they are full sisters and I think they are half Asian... their dad is white and their mom is of Vietnamese descent.  So it’s possible that one set of genes is more prominent in one sister than the other.  

I don’t know why they spent over 6 hours in the car.  You’d think that they would stop more often and ask for directions.  Especially once they got back into Paris.

I really enjoyed the tasks this episode.  The art task, I think there were only 8 people in the whole room who matched a painting.  And each only was used once, so it became progressively harder for those who came later.  

I’m hoping for a double elimination of Leo and Alana and Will and James next time   Both teams are irritating.  Aparna and Eswar can leave too.   Too arrogant, too boring.

Still liking the football players, the volleyball brothers, and Hung and Chee as my three favorite teams.

Yeah, 6 hours is long. And, I’m assuming the 6 hours were consecutive which is all the more crazy. They never got out? They couldn’t get out? We saw them asking for directions so I guess that might have been before they got lost. You wonder if they even knew how long it was. I’ve been lost before. It was pre GPS but post Mapquest. Remember driving and trying read the steps. Very dangerous. LOL!!! Also, there was a time I took a wrong exit but you couldn’t turn around and had to drive the PA turnpike all the way up. I wasn’t even on tv and I wanted to die. Looking forward to the 2 episodes next week. I’m guessing they are doubling to finish before Christmas. 

• Love 3

Why is everyone saying that Leo helped Will and James? He moved them just enough to benefit himself. Which, totally fair, (RAAAAAACE!) but it didn't help W&J at all. It let everyone else pass them when at least Will's lack of skill had been holding all of them back together.

• Love 14

Blonds had the best attitudes.

By the time they did the pies they must have figured it was over and decided to enjoy themselves.

Didn’t get too stressed when they got lost on the way to the carnival games.

Maybe without pressure they enjoyed themselves.

But not sure why they fell so far behind from the airport.  Navigation could be a problem for them.

• Love 7

How in the heck did both sets of sisters get so lost? And for six hours?! After one hour I would have been stopping at every gas station or hotel/hostel and asking. They had maps from somewhere. The only time I drove stick the owner was also in the car. Road trip, we were trying to give her a break from driving. Got on the highway with her moving the stick and telling me 'Hit the clutch! Now hit the gas!" After that I was cruising along fine...until I got pulled over for speeding :(.

I got the impression Aparna was assuming there was a match for every painting in the party. We didn't actually see the wording of the clue. I think the horse race game was pretty much Ye Olde Skeeball. Actually LOLed when the first team got pelted with the pies. They all had an opportunity to clean up though, nobody still had pie all over them after.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

They are full sisters. Genetics are weird and siblings can look very different. Asianness varies greatly even in full Asians. 

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

According to their bio both of their parents are Vietnamese immigrants. 

Edited by Guest

I loved the guy at the knock the cans over game at the second road block. So wonderfully enthusiastic! I also loved the pie throwing and was impressed no one dropped their pies. I'm sure I would have—both from the surprise and from laughing.

I could not believe how lost Michelle and Victoria got in such a small area. It seems like neither one of them clocked what street they were on and which one they needed to be on. And given that Victoria was the one holding the map, I hold her responsible for it, unless Michelle was ignoring her instructions (which, if it happened, we were not shown). The natural division of labor is that one person drives and the other navigates. And actually, we were shown Michelle getting annoyed at Victoria's poor navigation early on in the leg, on the way to Château de Chantilly. That time, they were tipped off by seeing Leo and Alana going a different direction, so they knew to stop and get directions, plus it seems like there were signs on the highway to where they wanted to go. Once they got into Paris, I doubt there were many (if any) road signs to the location of the second roadblock.

Riley and Maddison ran a very clean leg and deserved the win. I also had to laugh at Alana's description of Hung and Chee: "Hung and Chee are just made of magic and fairy dust…I don't know. I'm just straight-up jealous." I don't blame her. I imagine it's really frustrating to race against people who consistently do tasks more efficiently than just about everyone else. Based on his performance at the steel pan roadblock and in this episode with the carnival games, I'm guessing Chee is one of those infuriating people who picks stuff up really easily.

3 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Not sure why Aparna was struggling so.

Same here. Everyone else seemed to get it on the first or second try, but she need 16. I noticed that she kept pulling out women with purple dresses to guess Lampi, which was never correct. I guess she got hung up on one particular painting.

Out of interest, I calculated average leg placements for teams and their variances. It turns out that Eswar and Aparna are the most consistent team (lowest variance in their leg placements), followed closely by Riley and Maddison. However, while Riley and Maddison's average leg placement is 3, Eswar and Aparna are averaging 5.6. Also, even with their 8th place finish on this leg, Michelle and Victoria had the fourth highest mean leg placement, albeit with the second highest variance (DeAngelo and Gary have the highest).

16 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Why is everyone saying that Leo helped Will and James? He moved them just enough to benefit himself. Which, totally fair, (RAAAAAACE!) but it didn't help W&J at all. It let everyone else pass them when at least Will's lack of skill had been holding all of them back together.

This was my read as well. There was also no need for James to pout about Leo's supposed lack of empathy. I have no doubt that if Leo had been the one having trouble driving, Will and James would have had the same attitude Leo did, right down to hoping that it would get him and Alana eliminated.

• Love 7