Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Ten - The Passenger

• Start Topic

Probably not the episode for people with spider phobia.   I liked it and was on the edge of my seat the entire time.  Completely different in tone from last week.  They brought back Misty Rosas who played the body of Kuiil in the first season. She is great again here.

Baby Yoda sure loves to eat frogs.  Indeed he is like my little brother, at a certain age you had to watch him like a hawk because he would try to eat every disgusting creepy crawly thing with glee.

The baby aka the little troublemaker was very vocal this episode and I am starting to wonder why he hasn't tried to use the force - other than drawing the eggs to him.

Also, I loved the first scene when Mando and baby  were attacked by the raiders.  Mando is such a great fighter and so smart and quick thinking. Very impressive.   And great bonding moments with Mando and baby throughout.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 11

[Interior: Disney Meeting Room]

Favreau: How can we mash up Aliens, Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter?

Frog Lady is a droid service tech?? How convenient... Why was that droid still on board anyway??

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Baby hit the jackpot with the froggy eggs.

But he was adorable running to dad after being threatened.  Snuggling up to dad to sleep. 

Him chasing after frog lady up the ramp in the background. 

He did a lot of running this episode. 

Mando is such a good guy. I love that you can still tell he is thinking even if you don't see his face. 

I do have a spider phobia so yea not cool. Them just crawling and swarming the Razorcrest, eek.

Baby being attacked by one in his head,  you could just hear him saying, Get it off

Great episode 

• Like 1
  • Love 14

What did they name this episode?  Spiders on a Spaceship?

I was disappointed that Baby kept stealing Mrs. Frogs eggs, but on the other hand he was allowed (at first) far too much access to what he obviously considered froggy caviar.  While Mando and Mrs. F were belted up in the cockpit, the egg container and Baby were left unsecured in the back.  The container wasn't locked so Baby was able to get in and eat several eggs, and when Mando discovered him in the act, he just told Baby to stop eating them and put the lid back on.  Mando should have put a lock on it and taken the container to the Mom for safe keeping.

Why didn't we get a shot of Frog Mama realizing that she had fewer potential polywogs than before?  This was her last chance of carrying on the family line.  I'd think she'd have been upset, and I kept thinking that seeing her distress would keep Baby from continuing to try to eat them.  She obviously realized the danger Baby represented in the last scene, when she held the container protectively on her lap and held them even closer when she saw Baby looking at them.

How did Frog Mama realize there were hot springs off in the distance when they were broken down on the snow planet?  Why didn't she tell Mando she was going to take her eggs and soak in the water?  Even Baby knew that was a bad idea, so he let Mando know.  Not to mention her little hot tube soak brought the attention of hundreds of baby spiders and their mammoth mother.  

Good thing the X-wing pilots arrived at the last minute to save the day.  When they told Mando that they weren't going to take him in for his part in the prison break because he saved the life of the human prison guard and locked up three other wanted criminals, I wondered if they were acting alone or if this was an official decision.

I hope none of the little bloodsuckers who took over the back of the ship survived the purge and will appear later to cause trouble.  The show wouldn't allow Baby or Mando to die at their fangs, but they are definitely not a species that should be allowed to populate another planet.  Mando needs to take a giant can of Raid to the whole ship, or have some sort of cleansing procedure done as soon as possible.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

Even Baby knew that was a bad idea, so he let Mando know.  Not to mention her little hot tube soak brought the attention of hundreds of baby spiders and their mammoth mother.

The spiders were dormant until the kid ate one of them. So the spider attack is really his fault. Or Mando's for not keeping an eye on the kid.

• Love 20

Yeah I think it was the child"s fault for eating one of the spiders and Mando's for not watching him or not feeding him enough. That is a hungry kid. Lol 

I loved him running to daddy after he was held hostage. I guess the force budget was used for the spiders. 

If the frog lady was so worried about her eggs why did she just leave them in the cargo bay. Wouldn't she want to keep them with her? And Mando knows the child likes to eat frogs. He should've insisted she keep them with her. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Zahdii said:

Not to mention her little hot tube soak brought the attention of hundreds of baby spiders and their mammoth mother.  

47 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

The spiders were dormant until the kid ate one of them. So the spider attack is really his fault. Or Mando's for not keeping an eye on the kid.

I'm with @Zahdii on this one.  Baby wouldn't have even seen the spider eggs if Frog Lady (her official name in the closed captioning, lol) hadn't gone for the soak.  She led Baby to the eggs.  😉 

• Useful 1

24 minutes ago, paigow said:

If there are no other animals in the ice caves, what would 100.000 carnivorous spiders eat?

They probably already ate every other animal and then went into hibernation until Frog Lady, Mando and The Child showed up.

• Love 3

I thought maybe the story would go that the eggs in the canister would all be destroyed and then Baby Yoda would cough up all the eggs he had eaten so Mrs. Frog could continue her line. I guess the Child isn't that noble. I did laugh at his wink at the end when he pulled out the last egg. Bad Baby! (but so cute).

• Love 8
9 hours ago, callmebetty said:

Baby being attacked by one in his head,  you could just hear him saying, Get it off

Mando: Lift it off with your mind...I have 500 of my own problems...

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I guess the Child isn't that noble. I did laugh at his wink at the end when he pulled out the last egg. Bad Baby! (but so cute).

Frog Lady saved him, so paying her back by eating more eggs is the way...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

I didn't see this episode as a filler.   I saw it as a shout-out/gift to all  fans of The Child/AKA Baby Yoda who have made them even richer by making so many related purchases.  Yes, Guilty.

I just love his little noise..."Oo-WEET", or something like that.

• Love 8

While I'm sure Mando would have saved Baby Yoda over his jetpack any day of the week, it being revealed that he had another way to control it and get it back was perfectly in character.  I'm sure Mandalorians have back-up plans for all of their weapons and gadgets.  It is the way!

Mando continues to realize that being a dad isn't easy, with him having to consistently tell Baby Yoda to quit eating the passenger's eggs.  He really should baby proof his ship or have some kind of area to store cargo that Baby Yoda shouldn't be getting into.  And, of course, he takes his eyes off of him for one minute, and Baby Yoda suddenly causes a whole bunch of gigantic spiders to attack them!  Ah, children!

Cool that they brought back Misty Rosas as the Frog Lady.

Enjoying seeing another glimpse of the Rebel Alliance post-Return of the Jedi/destruction of the second Death Star.  Including Dave Filoni returning as his pilot from The Prisoner.

Saw that Peyton Reed from the Ant-Man films directed this one.  He did seem to bring the same style of humor and lighter moments to the proceedings.  Maybe he can get Paul Rudd to show up someday!

Maybe a bit fillerish in some aspects, but I don't mind since the episode showed off a lot of Baby Yoda stuff, and looking past the cuteness of the character and all, it truly is remarkable how they are able to make him a living, breathing character.  The puppetry work her is truly remarkable. 

• Love 13

No, Baby Yoda! Those eggs represent the last children of an endangered species. I kept waiting for Frog Lady to comment on her dwindling amount of eggs. It seemed like ate enough for her to notice the container weighed less and had more empty space in the liquid.

• Love 14

Baby Yoda's behavior in this episode reminds me a bit of an interview I saw with the director of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (James Gunn?) when he described Baby Groot.  I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like, "He's absolutely adorable, but he's also a bit of a jerk and can kill you.  If he wasn't, it would just be too sickeningly sweet."  

• Love 15

Ice spiders 😳😳😳

Peyton Reed also directed Bring It On, if memory serves.

The x-Wing pilots were played by Dave Filoni and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, who plays Appa on Kim’s Convenience (CBC in Canada, and I think it’s on Netflix too) and is a huge Star Wars fan and cosplayer!

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I hope none of the little bloodsuckers who took over the back of the ship survived the purge and will appear later to cause trouble.  The show wouldn't allow Baby or Mando to die at their fangs, but they are definitely not a species that should be allowed to populate another planet.  Mando needs to take a giant can of Raid to the whole ship, or have some sort of cleansing procedure done as soon as possible.

Unless some of them hid in the cockpit, I think they're all dead on account of the hull not being pressurized when Mando went back into space. However, what I would worry about is that droid that the lizard mom (I'm going to call her Lizzie) rewired. And just as Mando was getting over his droid-phobia too.

6 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I loved the way that Mando got rid of the Jawa with the jet pack.

I thought that and his line about freezing to death showcased a streak of dark humor in him that we haven't seen before.

5 hours ago, Athena5217 said:

No, Baby Yoda! Those eggs represent the last children of an endangered species. I kept waiting for Frog Lady to comment on her dwindling amount of eggs. It seemed like ate enough for her to notice the container weighed less and had more empty space in the liquid.

I was sure the space basket of eggs would end up spoiled somehow and Baby Yoda was going to cough up the ones he swallowed. As we saw last week it is somewhat common in the Star Wars universe for characters to survive getting swallowed up by a larger creature.

• Love 2

I had some serious Aliens flashbacks when the Child opened that egg in the field of eggs. There's always an angry mama to deal with, Baby!

I chortled out loud when the Child pulled out that last Frog egg and ate it at the end. I'd kind of thought he'd been learning some lessons about caring for others from his daddy, but apparently not. 

I hadn't realized that Din and the Child shared quarters. I thought of that room as the baby's room, so when Din said it was time for a nap and then crawled in there, too, I was all, "Aw!"

Loved the opening scene and the Child's "snort" (according to the captioning, which usually says "coos") at Din's dealing with his captor. 

• Love 11

Oh Baby Yoda and your insatiable appetite smh

Absolutely hilarious when Mando stopped the child from eating the eggs then in the next scene he's holding a tray of more human looking food cut up into bite sized pieces 🤣

Edited by Samwise979
  • Love 9

Poor baby has really taken some tough tumbles. He needs to get checked out for concussions.

I feel like I'm the only one who was disturbed by the baby eating the eggs. I think he's smart enough to know they were the offspring of a sentient being. I was surprised we didn't get a reaction of the mother when she noticed some eggs were missing. At the very end, she hugged the container closer after the baby was eyeing it, but that's it.

ETA: I just read somewhere else that the eggs were unfertilized, and that's why she needed to get them to her husband. So I guess I feel a little better about the baby eating them, but it was still wrong of him. lol

I loved all the father/son scenes! I was disappointed that Mando and the baby hardly interacted last episode. Lots of interaction and talking to the baby in this episode. The only thing I don't like is when the baby is so clearly CGI. I wish they would make his CGI walking match his puppet shuffle.

I didn't think Mando had any hope in getting the Razorcrest to fly again. I guess it was mostly cosmetic damage.

It was a little odd that the x-wing pilots saved Mando but then just flew away. I was expecting them to help him some more. 

Also, how does Mando know to say "may the force be with you", but not know about Jedi's and them using the force?

There have been parts of season 2 that have felt a little too cheesy to me, like I'm watching a kid's show that's trying to be cute and funny. Examples in this episode would be Amy Sedaris speaking the frog language, the frog mother (mostly the costume) and the ant creature. It just feels like it has a completely different tone this season.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I was sure the space basket of eggs would end up spoiled somehow and Baby Yoda was going to cough up the ones he swallowed. As we saw last week it is somewhat common in the Star Wars universe for characters to survive getting swallowed up by a larger creature.

Per Qui-Gon Jinn from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace: "There's always a bigger fish."

• Love 2

Good episode!

Those spiders crawling out of every crease and crevice made me shudder. The set pieces in this were fantastic. I was biting my nails through most of the episode.

And The Child was a delight throughout. From his adorable attempts to communicate to constantly sneaking that poor Frog Lady's eggs, I just wanted to scoop him up and cuddle him.

Cool that they brought back Misty Rosas as the Frog Lady.

I was glad to see that as well.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Capricasix said:

Ice spiders 😳😳😳

Peyton Reed also directed Bring It On, if memory serves.

The x-Wing pilots were played by Dave Filoni and Paul Sun-Hyung Lee, who plays Appa on Kim’s Convenience (CBC in Canada, and I think it’s on Netflix too) and is a huge Star Wars fan and cosplayer!

Omg, I thought I recognized Appa! I was confused because I’ve only seen him in the sitcom with the accent. I knew he didn’t really  have the accent, but I’ve never heard him otherwise.

cool!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

The only thing I don't like is when the baby is so clearly CGI. I wish they would make his CGI walking match his puppet shuffle.

. . .

Also, how does Mando know to say "may the force be with you", but not know about Jedi's and them using the force?

I can't always tell when Baby is CGI, but I was coming here to ask if anyone knows - can the puppet walk?  The walk looked similar to episode 4 of last season, when they first land on Sorgon, but I'm not sure which is which.  I'm assuming most if not all walking/running scenes are CGI, but I was curious.  They might not be.

I also thought this, about saying "may the force be with you!"  What does he think the force is, then?  And maybe if those x-wing pilots only knew more about Baby, they'd be the ones to be able to help, LOL.  If they work for/with/against Princess Leia, clearly they'd know something... 🤣

Edited by FnkyChkn34
Who do the x-wing pilots actually work for? I don't even know...
  • Love 1

I hate multi-leggers. Were these creatures actually Krykna? They looked and acted just like them from Rebels. Mando is lucky they didn’t web his ship down.

I had a real hard time understanding the pilot rebels at the beginning. Jon and Filoni seem like they’re friends so I’m not surprised that he had Filoni back in the pilot’s seat again.

People on Twitter are really bagging on this episode-they want more plot that has to do with The Child and the quest. Personally, this episode was fine to me. With what it sounds like a Mandalorian Purge (The Night of a Thousand Tears), and Mando’s lack of knowledge of other clans, I’m not surprised we’re seeing him struggling to find other Mandos.

This episode had a ton of scenes from the trailer too. I wonder (I’m unspoiled) if the next episode is going to have Dune and Greef in it.

• Love 2

Too many spiders.    

I wonder if the Baby has a different metabolism and that is why he is always eating.   Or he's just toddler who stuffs everything in  his mouth.  

Apparently Beskar also protects the wearer from weather.   Wearing heavy armor walking through the desert of Tattoine carrying a heavy load, walked slow but didn't pass out from the heat.   Then on the ice planet he had a nice bit of frost going, but didn't seem cold.   

Yeah those spiders, nuke them from space its the only way to be sure.    Oh and when Mando was standing outside the ship while the Pilots were shooting I might have said "oh, they aren't Stormtroopers they can hit what they aim at."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I chortled out loud when the Child pulled out that last Frog egg and ate it at the end. I'd kind of thought he'd been learning some lessons about caring for others from his daddy, but apparently not.

I'm not sure Mando is the right person to teach lessons about caring for others. He's kind at some moments, but he also slaughters ruthlessly in front of the baby.

Also, he needs to feed the baby more!

• Love 2

While I enjoyed the episode overall, I, and this might sound pathetic, felt physically ill whenever the Child ate an egg. The mother saving him actually bothered me for that reason. I realized he does not know better, but it was truly disturbing.

55 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

I hate multi-leggers. Were these creatures actually Krykna? They looked and acted just like them from Rebels. Mando is lucky they didn’t web his ship down.

They looked like it. I had the same thought the same. I felt bad because they didn’t attack until an a baby was eaten. At least they, as far as I know, are not sapient.

3 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

ETA: I just read somewhere else that the eggs were unfertilized, and that's why she needed to get them to her husband. So I guess I feel a little better about the baby eating them, but it was still wrong of him. lol

I hope so. The last scene seemed to indicate that it was supposed to be funny.

• Love 5

It would have been nice if Lil' Oda had created a force bubble around himself when he flew out of the Speeder.
I wonder why Mando walked back to town in the baking hot sun when he had not one, but two jet packs.
How could Mando control himself when the Frog MILF (FILF) was all "Nakedy" in that Hot Springs. My Beskar Armor would be all rusty by now.
I wouldn't even be mad at the Frog MILF if she would have put one of those blaster shots between Lil' Oda's eyes, he deserved it. If she is smart enough to rewire a robot, she is smart enough to count to twenty. I could hear her saying "I never thought something that could be such a beautiful shade of green could also be such a Demon. This is for Jeremiah, Dan'l, Kermit, and Keroro."

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

There have been parts of season 2 that have felt a little too cheesy to me, like I'm watching a kid's show that's trying to be cute and funny. Examples in this episode would be Amy Sedaris speaking the frog language, the frog mother (mostly the costume) and the ant creature. It just feels like it has a completely different tone this season.

ITA.  This ep felt like an after school special or something.   I liked the beginning, though also wondered why Din didn't use the jet pack (maybe not enough fuel or whatever?) but it kinda went downhill from there. Though I've liked Amy Sedaris in her previous appearances, I didn't like her here.  Maybe just too much of her.  I'm not a huge fan of having the alien races look like species we'd recognize.  The frog costume was....not good.  It reminded me of Land of the Lost.

The child is acting more like an intelligent pet than a sentient being; the constant egg-sneaking was not cute to me.   He also looked more puppet-like than I recall from the first season.   The first season had a gritty feeling to it and in this one, everything feels brighter somehow and that brightness makes the child look less like a living creature.  I thought it was handled much better in S1.

Putting Din and the child in peril doesn't feel tense anymore.  I did wonder if Mother Frog would get killed and then Din would have to transport the eggs but I didn't really care about her either way.

Glad others had issues understanding the pilots, I thought is was me.  Nice callback to S1 though, having them mention that Din tried to save the guard on the prison transport and that they ended up with three wanted criminals locked up because of him.

Hate to just continually bag on this one but I was disappointed.  The spiders looked good at any rate.  Maybe I will re-watch and see if there's something more to appreciate.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:28 AM, magdalene said:

Also, I loved the first scene when Mando and baby  were attacked by the raiders.  Mando is such a great fighter and so smart and quick thinking. Very impressive. 

I do agree with this.   I like how we see why he's been around a long time with the reputation he has.  He may get knocked down but he always gets up and is usually the last one standing, which is all that matters (unless he gets knocked off a Jawa transport, heh).   I think another reason he's been around so long is his willingness to make deals and alliances with anyone when they might help him in whatever job he's doing.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

People on Twitter are really bagging on this episode-they want more plot that has to do with The Child and the quest. Personally, this episode was fine to me. With what it sounds like a Mandalorian Purge (The Night of a Thousand Tears), and Mando’s lack of knowledge of other clans, I’m not surprised we’re seeing him struggling to find other Mandos.

I really liked this episode. And I think the complaint that this episode isn't relevant to the Quest to Find Little Baby Yoda's People mirrors similar ones from last season. But all the episodes in S1 that seemed irrelevant introduced us to characters that ended up being important to the larger story, so...

• Love 9

I thought this episode was a helluva lot of fun. I actually jumped several times during the spider sequence, especially when the big one jumped the ship. Baby Yoda is such a stinker. Mrs. Gummo pointed out that since Yoda's planet was a swamp, so frogs and frog's eggs are probably similar to what they really eat. The Kid is insatiable but I guess he's a growing boy/girl/thing.

Some of my favorite episodes have been episodes that didn't necessarily advance the bigger story arc. What's the freakin' hurry? 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, buttersister said:

I figured Frog Mama realized some eggs were gone and that’s why she took off for the hot tub and made more. 

I think that’s a pretty good read on that scene.  As for her ambivalence(?) towards Baby eating some of the eggs- I think we are just used to viewing the mother-child dynamic from a human, or even just mammalian, perspective.  From a quick google search, it seems like most real amphibians do not actively raise their young.  So it could be that while Frog Lady wants to preserve her family lineage- and certainly the more eggs survive, the better - perhaps as long as some non-zero number make it to fertilization, she’s good.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Baby wouldn't have even seen the spider eggs if Frog Lady (her official name in the closed captioning, lol) hadn't gone for the soak.

I love that that’s her “official” name- it really ties into what Favreau and Filloni have said about this show- that it’s the kind of stories a kid would make up playing with their Star Wars toys, but they only had the weird background characters.  If she had a toy back in the 80’s, it totally would’ve said “Frog Lady” on the packaging.

14 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Some of my favorite episodes have been episodes that didn't necessarily advance the bigger story arc. What's the freakin' hurry? 

Agreed- I know it’s just two episodes so far, but think they have done a good job pacing out the overall arc.  It feels basically the same as last season, which tied itself together pretty well.  What this show doesn’t have, is a ton of exposition.  It’s why episodes tend to be shorter than on other series - they just don’t bother with having Din spend 20 minutes giving status updates every week.  It’s refreshing.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, paigow said:

Frog Lady smuggled a mini-blaster on board...Mando needs a new passenger pre-boarding security protocol...

Or she took it from his weapons locker, which is misnamed, since he never locks it!

9 hours ago, buttersister said:

I figured Frog Mama realized some eggs were gone and that’s why she took off for the hot tub and made more. 

Is that what happened? I thought she was just warming up the eggs that were in the container. When Mando was scooping up the eggs and putting them back in the container, I bet he was thinking 'How the hell did I get to this point?'. 😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Frog Lady smuggled a mini-blaster on board...Mando needs a new passenger pre-boarding security protocol...

2 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Or she took it from his weapons locker, which is misnamed, since he never locks it!

I kind of just assumed that Mando leaves guns laying around everywhere.  She probably picked it up in the cockpit. 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 3