Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Ten - The Passenger

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

I feel like I'm the only one who was disturbed by the baby eating the eggs. I think he's smart enough to know they were the offspring of a sentient being. I was surprised we didn't get a reaction of the mother when she noticed some eggs were missing. At the very end, she hugged the container closer after the baby was eyeing it, but that's it.

I was bothered by it to but they did say that they were unfertilized. I tried to remind myself that it was like eating caviar. 

15 hours ago, buttersister said:

I figured Frog Mama realized some eggs were gone and that’s why she took off for the hot tub and made more. 

I don’t think that she could make anymore eggs. She said earlier that the ones she had were the last of her life cycle. 

6 hours ago, Gummo said:

Mrs. Gummo pointed out that since Yoda's planet was a swamp, so frogs and frog's eggs are probably similar to what they really eat. The Kid is insatiable but I guess he's a growing boy/girl/thing.

Do you mean Dagobah? That wasn’t Yoda’s home planet. How and why her ended up there was in explained in Clone Wars. 

7 hours ago, Gummo said:

Some of my favorite episodes have been episodes that didn't necessarily advance the bigger story arc. What's the freakin' hurry? 

I agree with you. 

Ah, Dani, thanks for the correction. I've hardly watched any Star Wars since the Original Trilogy so most of the minutiae goes right over my head. One of the things I'm really enjoying about The Mandalorian is that, sure, you may get more out of it if you're a dedicated Star Wars fan, but  you don't HAVE to be.

• Love 13

On rewatch, I loved Mando’s use of The Finger when he told the Child “no” at the hot springs: “No.” *finger point* “No.” *finger wag*. As the child of a dad who made effective of that finger, I appreciated the reality of that moment.

I also like that while the Child is clearly a child, he’s also clearly not a human child. His omnivorous tendencies make him particularly “alien” to me. Not that human toddlers don’t put anything and everything in their mouths, but the Child’s willingness to actually swallow whole all manner of slimy, wiggly things makes him unique to me. 

And I liked the parallel of Frog Lady with her container of babies on her lap and Mando with the Child on his lap. 

Fun to see Apa!  

• Love 9

Why did it have to be spiders?  I hate spiders!  So creepy, and so terribly many of them!  

Despite the spiders, I enjoyed the episode. I don't know if Mando needs to feed the Child more food, or just more appropriate food.  Yoda didn't like Luke's "food" either.  

• Love 7
On 11/6/2020 at 9:02 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Also, how does Mando know to say "may the force be with you", but not know about Jedi's and them using the force?

Presumably even in today's world an atheist/agnostic will sometimes say "Oh, for God's sake!"

Figure in the five years post-Empire "May the Force be with you" has become a fairly common New Republic salutation.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 7

Eh, I liked the first five minutes things went downhill from there on even without the spiders. The Child was a jerk and fertilized or not I did not find the egg eating cute. 

But at least Frog Lady was not a complete lady in distress. I was impressed when she managed to use the droid as translator and when she saved the little jerk's life. I may have cheered when he freaked out about the spider on his head, that's what you get if you keep eating the young of another species!

I'm not sure what to make of this episode - apparently there was a leitmotif about parents protecting their kids, or maybe it was simply a reminder that Mando needs a Nanny?

Also: the snow looked fake, it always does. I hope next week we get an episode without freaky beasts. Ah, well trigger my arachnophobia and I get grumpy.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Why did it have to be spiders?  I hate spiders!  So creepy, and so terribly many of them!

Same! I was watching through my fingers! I seriously think they should have backed up the premier a week and aired this episode the week of Halloween because ugh! 
I kind of feel like Mando leaves the baby unattended bc he is smart and has shown he can defend himself when needed, but it clearly isn’t a honed skill and he is a baby, so he should really be watching him more. I guess learning to parent a toddler on the fly is tough in all circumstances, including an alien baby with magic!

I like that “the rebels” are good, but not too good here. Like, it’s a little chaos now. The did help him, but not too much, like, “eh, you technically are breaking the law, but you did help us, so here you go, but yeah, we’re not totally going to help you. Bye”.....

• Love 6
8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

The Child was a jerk and fertilized or not I did not find the egg eating cute. 

I liked that he was kind of a shit disturber, because after watching the prequels and Rogue 1 last year actual Yoda is also kind of a jerk. He is a jerk to little Anakin in Ep 1, he totally ignored that the chancellor was evil, and then he totally bailed on the rebellion so while watching Rogue 1 all I could think of was that a battle hardened general who is also a wizard would really be useful to their fight.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I liked that he was kind of a shit disturber, because after watching the prequels and Rogue 1 last year actual Yoda is also kind of a jerk. 

Fair points. Come to think of it I'm probably more annoyed by the writing. In the first scene we got a very touching moment of the emotional bond between Mando and the Child. And then we get Frog Lady who's clearly attached to her eggs and we are supposed to empathize with her I guess. Yet at the same time we're supposed to chuckle at the little s*it eating her eggs?

It's okay that he did it once - he's still a toddler and can't always grasp what's going on. But Mando told him 'no' more than once, Frog Lady had saved his life and by the end of the episode he was clearly aware of her attachment and that what he was doing was wrong. So he's a jerk - and even that's okay if the show would really go there. But the scenes were cute - and we know they can cure him from his cuteness if needs be (the scene where he tried to choke Cara, which was unsettling) - so this was a choice. And it was a choice that went against the show's leitmotif (we're supposed to coo at Mando's paternal instincts but Frog Lady's were a joke) which was jarring.

Also a choice: giving both Mando and Frog Lady a stupid ball just so the little s*it could keep on chewing eggs and embryos.

ETA: Forgot to mention the literal 'chopped liver' treatment spider Mom got, who had every right to be pissed off.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6

The Child ate the eggs of the Frog Lady and of the spiders.  What makes that different than my having an omelet or an egg and cheese biscuit from Hardee's?  I eat eggs at least once or twice a week.  Was it just because the Frog Lady was right there?  Was it because those particular eggs were the last of her family line?  She didn't say they were the last of her species, just the last of her family line.  

Eating the spider egg was definitely bad -- it caused the rest to hatch and mama spider to go all Aragog on our heroes.  (Yep, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was on TV yesterday -- way way way too many spiders for one weekend!)

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The Child ate the eggs of the Frog Lady and of the spiders.  What makes that different than my having an omelet or an egg and cheese biscuit from Hardee's?  I eat eggs at least once or twice a week. 

You are not stealing the eggs...Yes, the farmer is stealing eggs in a manner of speaking but that is a different ethical discussion. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, paigow said:

You are not stealing the eggs...Yes, the farmer is stealing eggs in a manner of speaking but that is a different ethical discussion. 

I'll buy that.  I was appalled that The Child was taking the eggs, too, and couldn't figure out quite why.  It probably would be different if they were fertilized, but I know people who own chickens (hens and roosters), and probably do eat fertilized eggs (before development begins).  That doesn't seem to bother me, either.  Or could it be because Frog Lady is a sentient being?  

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to figure out why it matters to us (myself included!).

Frog Lady expressed a clear emotional attachment to her eggs - it's speciesist to claim that just because they were not fertilized she was not supposed to view them as her offspring. 

The argument that the Child eating her eggs is no different than when we humans eat an omelet is valid from an extreme vegan standpoint. But I'm not a vegan, I just draw the distinction between a sentient alien and an animal. That might be tricky but Frog Lady could express herself in coherent language, had technical knowledge and used clothing,* so she's in a different league than the Mud Horn from season 1 and spider mom from this episode.

*I actually think that's exactly why the Child is swaddled in his tiny robe.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Frog Lady expressed a clear emotional attachment to her eggs - it's speciesist to claim that just because they were not fertilized she was not supposed to view them as her offspring. 

This was one of my issues as well.  The job was to deliver Mama and eggs to Dad for fertilization.  The child was putting that job in jeopardy.  

The unevenness for me came from 1) her just leaving the egg container in the hold when they first boarded and 2) how we were supposed to view the whole thing as amusing.   Din isn't a super hands on parent and the child may be a little asshole and/or he may just need better supervision; either is fine, but this episode gave me whiplash with how it seemed we were supposed to be viewing the whole thing.

ETA:   I'm giving this too much thought, lol, but the child apparently being worried enough about Mama Frog to alert Din also seemed off.  I would have thought he would have just toddled off after her, not shown concern.  Maybe he was upset because she took his food with her, heh.

• Love 5

Baby Yoda is a baby. He's selfish and mischievious and kind of a jerk sometimes. Just because he's cute to look at doesn't mean he's wise or holy. Sometimes he does good things, sometimes he does bad things. Same with Mando, same with those New Republic pilots who let Mando off the hook, but refused to do anything more to help. The only clearly bad guys are the ex-Imps. And that may change too as we learn more about their motivations.

Baby Yoda saw/smelled/sensed something delicious and we know he would eat constantly if he could. The Kid's appetite is insatiable! Leaving the eggs where he could get at them was akin to leaving the cookie jar on the bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet. What did you expect! He's kind of a stinker, and I kind of love it.

Edited by Gummo
  • Love 21
9 minutes ago, Gummo said:

Baby Yoda is a baby. He's selfish and mischievious and kind of a jerk sometimes. Just because he's cute to look at doesn't mean he's wise or holy. Sometimes he does good things, sometimes he does bad things. Same with Mando, same with those New Republic pilots who let Mando off the hook, but refused to do anything more to help. The only clearly bad guys are the ex-Imps. And that may change too as we learn more about their motivations.

Baby Yoda saw/smelled/sensed something delicious and we know he would eat constantly if he could. The Kid's appetite is insatiable! Leaving the eggs where he could get at them was akin to leaving the cookie jar on the bottom shelf of the kitchen cabinet. What did you expect! He's kind of a stinker, and I kind of love it.

So much yes to this.  I am no expert on babies and toddlers but from what I have observed in my own life and my family and friends - you can't expect any kind of moral or critical thinking at that age.

I loved this episode.  They have gotten so much better with and more confident with handling the puppet.  I am so impressed with Misty Rosas. I am so impressed with all the effects, practical and otherwise.  I am so impressed with Pedro Pascal and his voice acting, with the stunt guys.

Mando is also developing a sense of humor which adds so much to his character.  I can hardly wait for the next episode.

• Love 12

That baby has the morality of my cat.

Strangest part of this episode for me was immediately after the crash, when it was broad daylight and the ship was totalled with a gaping hole in the side of it, everyone shivering. Mando makes a statement about how the temperature will probably drop still further when night falls...and promptly puts himself to sleep, instead of making any attempt to patch up the damage before dark. That didn't seem in character to me.

I could have lived quite happily without the spiders.

• LOL 7
  • Love 8

I don't expect the child to be wise, holy or moral; not everything a human toddler does is sweet.    My issue is the show presenting everything he does as adorable; especially if it's directly in contradiction to what was put forth as important in the episode.  Din is a morally gray character; no reason why the child cannot be the same.   Either the eggs are important/last of the line/purpose of the mission or they're unimportant enough to be abandoned in the cargo hold and presented as just another cute child misbehavior when they're disappearing.

I also at least hope for puppetry and costuming better than Sleestaks considering how much money Disney has thrown at this thing (though wonky alien costuming is a SW trait, after all)..   Maybe they spent all of their effects budget for this episode on the excellent spider effects and the space chase and crash.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Gummo said:

Maybe that's what he wants you to think. What if he knows exactly what he is doing and is actually turning to the dark side of the force while looking all cute and innocent? How awesome would it be if by the end of the series he turns into… wait for it… Sith Yoda! Of course there is no way that Disney would ever let their little moneymaker turn evil in a million years, but one could dream.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, raven said:

I also at least hope for puppetry and costuming better than Sleestaks considering how much money Disney has thrown at this thing

Maybe the original TOS Gorn suit is available at some Hollywood warehouse...

I was really confused about the Frog Woman’s statement that these were the last eggs and her producing more eggs. I rewatched and The Mandalorian is helping remove dozens of eggs out of the water. There seemed to be many more than were in the jar once Baby Yoda ate several eggs. 

• Love 2
On 11/7/2020 at 5:48 AM, raven said:

The child is acting more like an intelligent pet than a sentient being; the constant egg-sneaking was not cute to me.

Hard agree. One was bad but I figured he would listen to Mando and cut it out. The rest were getting more into murder territory. (I mean, yes, I eat chicken eggs, but those are unfertilized and they're non-viable after being laid and more importantly chickens aren't sapient and aren't endangered.)

Also, I hate spiders and swarms and esp swarms of spiders.

I did like the callback to the prison (ship) breakout episode from last season, and I liked that the New Republic pilots didn't feel like patching up the Razor Crest.

• Love 4

So he ate unfertilized eggs... so what? He didn't know any better. 

Has everyone seen that video that went viral of the little boy "helping" his grandmother bake cookies?  He eats every ingredient she tries to put in the bowl, including the flour and a stick of butter.  She continuously tells him no, and he does it anyway.  She puts it out of his reach and he climbs on the counter.  Baby Yoda is just like this little boy.  Little boys (and girls) do mischievous stuff.  

I thought this was a great episode to actually show Baby Yoda's growth, and relationship with Mando.  He runs to Mando after being held at knifepoint, and snuggled up next to him to sleep when the ship crashed.  When the Frog Lady left the ship, he went to get Mando's attention and showed him the footprints.  But he's also still learning right from wrong, and he's hungry.  

• Love 12

And then the mama alien spider shows up on the windshield (I know, I know 😉) like "Surprise, muthafcukkas!" I giggled so hard.

Not my favorite episode. Not quite a skank in the scud pie but kind of formulaic, IMO.

I love the look Baby gives him after sets off the jetpack and the body falls back down.

And then Mando just shrugs.

BY: Aw Daddy Mando, did you have to kill it?
TM: It fcuked around and found out.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

I wasn't horrified by the spiders, but I didn't think the CGI was all that great.  They all skittered at the same pace.  Shouldn't Mando have taken the big corpse off his ship before trying to get out?

The great thing about the jet pack is that it hides the stupid space cape!

• Love 1
On 11/8/2020 at 12:53 PM, Llywela said:

Mando makes a statement about how the temperature will probably drop still further when night falls...and promptly puts himself to sleep, instead of making any attempt to patch up the damage before dark. That didn't seem in character to me.

Plus he doesn't even grab a blanket for the baby or make sure he's ok. The baby has to cuddle up to Mando's leg. A pretty stark difference to last season when Mando swaddled the baby and gently placed him on the bed.

• Love 3

I think that Mando needs to invest in one of those baby leashes, Baby Yoda keeps getting into all kinds of trouble wandering off! Its tough being a single bounty hunter parent to a tiny super powered alien baby, especially when your also traveling around a dangerous galaxy and have bad guys chasing you. 

Fun episode, I quite enjoy the slows leisurely pace, and I am happy that the episodes are longer this season. Last season we had tons of seeming filler episodes that seemed like fun but unimportant one offs that become big parts of the main plot, and even this episode had a follow up with the prison break episode with the X-Wing pilots letting Mando go because he left the three other bounty hunters in jail and tried to save the guy working at the jail. It allows for a lot of great character and world building, the Star Wars verse is so rich, I just like exploring it with Mando and the galaxy's cutest baby. 

I cringed at Baby Yoda eating Frog Woman's eggs, but its not like they were actually alive (its basically like eating unfertilized eggs) and, well, Baby Yoda is, in fact, a baby. Babies don't really have morals the way an adult has, they don't really understand context or consequences or even greater questions of right and wrong. Its kind of like when Baby Yoda force chocked Cara when she was arm wrestling Mando, he didnt understand that this was a friendly contest between friends and not a threat to his daddy, and that force choking people is a bad idea unless its an emergency. Babies just don't understand things like that. Baby Yoda is pretty smart, but is also a baby. And an alien one at that. 

Baby Yoda was so cute running up to Mando with the "pick me up!" look, and then snuggling together. The puppet work really is something. I cant decide what I am always most impressed by, the puppet work or the fight choreography, which is always excellent. I loved the intro fight, Mando is such a smart fighter and the action always goes so fast and precisely. That jet pack is the gift that keeps on giving.

Its so amazing how much Pedro Pascal can project into his performance with only his voice and body language, and you can really see how Mando has warmed up since the start of the show. He is still quite serious, but he makes jokes now, has fun from time to time, he is more open and friendly towards his friends and ally's, cares more about helping people and is generally more personable, and of course is trying his hardest to be a good parent to Baby Yoda and is quite affectionate towards him, or as much as his 24/7 armor will allow. Taking care of the baby, helping people, and making friends outside of the Mandalorians has really done wonders for him.

Spiders! Spiders everywhere! Nope! Its also cool to check in a bit more with the rebels in the post Empire world.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Plus he doesn't even grab a blanket for the baby or make sure he's ok. The baby has to cuddle up to Mando's leg. A pretty stark difference to last season when Mando swaddled the baby and gently placed him on the bed.

Yes! Like, even if it's already too dark to go outside and assess the damage, at least make some effort to find something to block the gaping hole in the ship, to keep the worst of the weather out, and dig out a few extra blankets for everyone. The passenger was clearly worried about her eggs freezing, since she took off her cloak to wrap their tank - leaving herself in danger of hypothermia. But Mando seemed to think sleep was more important than not freezing to death.

• Love 5

Yeah, this episode had a lot of problems even when we ignore/accept the egg-gobbling. That said, some people out there still hope that the Child will regurgitate the eggs next episode. Given that we never saw Mando and Frog Lady arrive it's a distant possibility but I would not count on it. 

I think the most important scene of the episode was actually when the Child was informing Mando that Frog Lady had left. IIRC that was the first time we saw him trying to communicate this clearly - he used babbling and gestures to provide abstract information. That shows linguistic progress compared to last season, even if we don't know anything about his species' language development. So we might get closer to answering the question if Yoda's syntax will reappear in this franchise.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Last season we had tons of seeming filler episodes that seemed like fun but unimportant one offs that become big parts of the main plot, and even this episode had a follow up with the prison break episode with the X-Wing pilots letting Mando go because he left the three other bounty hunters in jail and tried to save the guy working at the jail.

I think they also let him go because an X-wing only holds one person. So to arrest him it means either waiting around for a transport ship to show up, or helping him fix his hull. Either way it means spending way more time on an ice planet full of giant spiders than any same person would ever want to. Especially when there are actual Imperials to track down.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

Yes! Like, even if it's already too dark to go outside and assess the damage, at least make some effort to find something to block the gaping hole in the ship, to keep the worst of the weather out, and dig out a few extra blankets for everyone. The passenger was clearly worried about her eggs freezing, since she took off her cloak to wrap their tank - leaving herself in danger of hypothermia. But Mando seemed to think sleep was more important than not freezing to death.

He did cover the hole, with a blanket at least.  I don't think there was much else left of his ship to use to cover the hole.  He gave a blanket to the Frog Lady and Baby used Mando's cape, snuggled against Mando's leg.  In hindsight, I guess they could have gone back in to the cockpit and shut the door, but he didn't really have many options.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

He did cover the hole, with a blanket at least.  I don't think there was much else left of his ship to use to cover the hole.  He gave a blanket to the Frog Lady and Baby used Mando's cape, snuggled against Mando's leg.  In hindsight, I guess they could have gone back in to the cockpit and shut the door, but he didn't really have many options.

What I found odd was that he specifically talked about how cold and dangerous it would be at night...and then rolled over and went to sleep! Why not tough it out through the night, move around to stay warm, then sleep when it's safer during the day and you might not wake up frozen to death?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kirbyrun said:

What I found odd was that he specifically talked about how cold and dangerous it would be at night...and then rolled over and went to sleep! Why not tough it out through the night, move around to stay warm, then sleep when it's safer during the day and you might not wake up frozen to death?

That is sort of the problem with planets in Star Wars. They always only have one climate. So it is not like he crashed in the arctic and could just fly the Razor Crest to like Mexico while they make repairs. Because the whole damn place was probably the ice and spiders planet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Kirbyrun said:

Good point, but I just thought of something - was he maybe going to do that?  Sleep during what was left of the day and wake up to protect them at night?  We may never know.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2020 at 11:54 AM, raven said:

Either the eggs are important/last of the line/purpose of the mission or they're unimportant enough to be abandoned in the cargo hold and presented as just another cute child misbehavior when they're disappearing.

Or it’s both. Vitally important to one character and cargo/food to the other characters. Personally I think they did a good job of showing it as both. 

22 minutes ago, Dani said:

Or it’s both. Vitally important to one character and cargo/food to the other characters. Personally I think they did a good job of showing it as both. 

The core issue is that Baby Yoda has put Mando in breach of the Quid pro Quo. Stealing one egg is cute and not a material event. A dozen or two is grounds for Frog Lady to re-negotiate. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, paigow said:

The core issue is that Baby Yoda has put Mando in breach of the Quid pro Quo. Stealing one egg is cute and not a material event. A dozen or two is grounds for Frog Lady to re-negotiate. 

That would be true with any cargo. Although Frog Lady doesn’t really have any room to renegotiate. She could call the deal off and be left stranded or refuse to give the information once they arrive. Both those choices would be very shortsighted. 

19 hours ago, paigow said:

We only saw him steal 3.  He may have gotten one or two more that we didn't see, but I think saying he stole a dozen or two is a bit of a stretch.  The container was always pretty full.  There were nearly 2 dozen in there the entire time.

• Useful 1

Re Baby Yoda and the eggs, I'm reminded of this line from the theme song of an award-winning show of the 90s:

"Repeat to yourself, it's just a show, I should really just relax"

... flame away.

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

Entertainment Weekly wrote an article about the egg controversy, with a twitter quote from the creative art director (who I don't think was even involved in the script writing) :

For the record, Chapter 10 of #TheMandalorian makes it clear that the Frog Lady’s eggs are unfertilized, like the chicken eggs many of us enjoy. But obviously, chickens aren’t sentient beings and the Child eating the eggs is intentionally disturbing, for comedic effect.

Fans of horror know that disturbing things make some of us laugh and some of us squirm, or both. Your mileage may vary.

So this show is horror now? 🤔 Although I didn't like the egg eating, I'm not gonna blow it out of proportion. I just won't rewatch the episode a million times like I do the other episodes! The article also has a photo of a new funko pop featuring the baby and the egg canister.

Edited by pezgirl7
the forum turned my ) : into an emoji
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

Entertainment Weekly wrote an article about the egg controversy, with a twitter quote from the creative art director (who I don't think was even involved in the script writing😞

So this show is horror now? 🤔 Although I didn't like the egg eating, I'm not gonna blow it out of proportion. I just won't rewatch the episode a million times like I do the other episodes! The article also has a photo of a new funko pop featuring the baby and the egg canister.

Well, they've done homage to various genres that stretch beyond the usual tropes borrowed from Spaghetti western and Japanese cinema. Last season's heist episode was such an outlier. So a horror episode seems not such a stretch. But it could have been just as effective without the egg gobbling, I find the explanation lame. Especially in view of the many weird decision both by Mando and Frog Lady that were necessary to make the 'joke' work.

The speculation that this was done in order to prepare us and Mando for more complexity with the Child is an intriguing one though. Especially as it's not the first time the Child has shown a not so cute side. 

They must have filmed this episode a long time ago to already have a toy depicting the scene.

Baby-Yoda-Egg-Eater-Funko-Pop.thumb.jpg.c5ced3b68ef2e72e872165bd63063f7d.jpg

What is that green thing on the floor of the box? The rest of the space in the box should have been filled up with spiders of various sizes.   🎆🎆🎆🎆 🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆 🎆🎆🎆🎆🎆

Why is there no spider emojis!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1