Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Ten - The Passenger

• Start Topic

After intending to watch this show for months, I finally got around to it, and ended up watching all ten episodes over a couple of days.   😄

That said, I kinda wish this wasn’t the episode where I caught up, because this was easily my least favorite episode so far.  I didn’t hate it, but 1) spiders.  Ugh.  *shudders*  I hate spiders and this was pure nightmare fuel.  And 2) the whole egg thing.  I’m not going to obsess about it, and it helps a bit that the eggs weren’t fertilized (I don’t think that part had really clicked until I read through this thread), but it was disturbing.   As soon as the Child saw the container I thought “oh no.  Surely not.“ And then they did go there.  And kept doing it!  🤦🏻‍♀️ *sigh*

Well hopefully we’ll get a good episode tomorrow.  In the meantime, maybe I’ll go back and rewatch Mando kicking ass in The Prisoner and forget about giant spiders. *shudders again*.  😄  Or maybe just rewatch the first part, before they picked up Frog Lady.  I enjoyed that part.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Or maybe just rewatch the first part, before they picked up Frog Lady.  I enjoyed that part.  

I loved the first 10 minutes or so, when Mando kicks ass after crashing.  And the little waddle-run Baby does after he's held hostage.  So cute!  

Funny that you mention re-watching The Prisoner, because that one is my least favorite episode.  I guess I'm in the minority of actually liking this episode. 😉 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I loved the first 10 minutes or so, when Mando kicks ass after crashing.  And the little waddle-run Baby does after he's held hostage.  So cute!  

Yes, that part was adorable.  And the look he gives Mando after he kills the guy who took his jet pack....like “really, Dad?” 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I guess I'm in the minority of actually liking this episode. 😉

I like it. Baby Yoda is adorable, but Baby Yoda also is being raised in very violent surroundings by a killer after an unknown amount of trauma in his early life. I like the show portraying Baby Yoda as a little bit off instead of saccharine sweet all the time.

Spiders weren't my favorite, but it was good to have consequences that weren't Baby Yoda ending Frog Lady's line. 

• Love 4

I loved this episode. I loved Mando taking out the Jawa with the jet back and, his shrug to Baby Yoda afterwards. The look Baby Today gave him after he killed the little dude with the Jet pack was great.

I loved the call back to last season (Hi Dave Feloni - where's my Sabine/Ahsoka show?) 

I got a kick out of Baby Yoda being an eating machine that has no fucks to give about anything but food...he goes dark side his name better be Darth Continence or Darth Digestion 😂 (tell me someone remembers that!)

I had to laugh at baby Yoda cracking open the spider egg to eat it and later, having a freak out when the spider was on his head (it's in my hair! It's in my hair!) 😂

I also love the New Republic fighters being dicks. Obviously in the OT they're the heroes but, from a certain point of view... 😂

Speaking of...Feloni get your boy Witwer on the show!  Better yet give him his own show...Starkiller, Darth Maul, anyone but Carth Onasi 😄

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

My parents watched this episode, and my mom's review is that it was "stupid". She didn't like the spiders or the egg eating, and she actually said that "in real life" the pilots would have stayed with Mando until he could get his ship off the ground. I had to remind her that Star Wars is not real life. 😂

Edited by pezgirl7
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 11/6/2020 at 8:49 PM, Samwise979 said:

Oh Baby Yoda and your insatiable appetite smh

Absolutely hilarious when Mando stopped the child from eating the eggs then in the next scene he's holding a tray of more human looking food cut up into bite sized pieces 🤣

And the baby just looked at the pile of rations and was like NO!

He looked so content when he stood near the dragon meat as it was roasting, dreaming of the meal to come.  And then the frog eggs went by and he was like - screw the dragon meat - this is my food!

Mando - you saw him eat frogs.   What were you thinking leaving him alone with the frog eggs?  

Mando really needs a nanny cam.  Insert a small camera into baby's robes and he'll know what he has been up to.  Now - it might not have stopped the Spiders doing their best rendition of Aliens - but he would have at least known where it all went wrong.

Edited by Macbeth
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 11/6/2020 at 6:43 PM, bethy said:

I chortled out loud when the Child pulled out that last Frog egg and ate it at the end. I'd kind of thought he'd been learning some lessons about caring for others from his daddy, but apparently not. 

The baby is actually an asshole, IMO. He was mildly interesting last season, when he would look askance at Mando when he saw violence, almost like even as a baby, his sense of morality was superior to that of others. And then they had the ride with the hunter android, when the baby laughed as the android shot the bad guys. So, guess there was no other message to the baby.

Then in this ep, he eats, and keeps eating, eggs from another species. Despite being repeatedly told no. How can he give Mando a look of admonishment when the frog lady talks about tales of a Mando's honor being stories for children ... and then keep eating the eggs? 

This show has, somewhere at its core, something interesting to say. But it's like the network suits came through after the show was written and said, "Hey, have the baby burp in this scene!" It's annoying. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:04 AM, Chyromaniac said:

What this show doesn’t have, is a ton of exposition.  It’s why episodes tend to be shorter than on other series - they just don’t bother with having Din spend 20 minutes giving status updates every week.  It’s refreshing.

What is there to explain? Mando is trying to get the baby "home," wherever that is. And every ep is a misadventure to slow down the progress. There's not much to explain. And even so there *is* plenty of exposition, whether it is "The Marshal" explaining how he ended up in the town or the story of the Frog Lady. 

On 11/7/2020 at 6:48 AM, raven said:

I'm not a huge fan of having the alien races look like species we'd recognize. 

This entire series is pretty much mining minor alien races and locations from the movies, especially the original three movies. I'm not sure I have seen anything I *don't* recognize. Ice worlds, sand worlds, jungle worlds and every alien from the cantina. The show has very little new to show or say.

On 11/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, Ottis said:

What is there to explain? Mando is trying to get the baby "home," wherever that is. And every ep is a misadventure to slow down the progress. There's not much to explain. And even so there *is* plenty of exposition, whether it is "The Marshal" explaining how he ended up in the town or the story of the Frog Lady. 

I guess I just don’t see these episodes as slowing down the progression of the story.  Din needs to find the Jedi, and for that he needs to locate other Mandalorians.  In order to meet the Mandos, he has to transport Frog Lady.  These aren’t misadventures or distractions- this is the journey.  This is the way.  It’s the same plot structure as last season, which I felt cane together pretty well.  I guess if viewers are just interested in whatever reveal is coming for Baby Yoda, or the Darksaber, etc... it may just be better to come back in a few weeks for the finale.

Otherwise, I think there’s a difference between one dialogue line explaining Frog Lady’s backstory or The Marshall narrating his flashback, and the kind of plot recapping on shows like GoT, but ymmv.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I guess I just don’t see these episodes as slowing down the progression of the story.  Din needs to find the Jedi, and for that he needs to locate other Mandalorians.  In order to meet the Mandos, he has to transport Frog Lady.  These aren’t misadventures or distractions- this is the journey.  This is the way.  It’s the same plot structure as last season, which I felt cane together pretty well.  

I agree. The story isn't about the destination. It's about the journey required to get there. Like Ithaka, in Cavafy's famous poem. The twists and turns along the way aren't distractions from the primary story, they are the primary story. The show isn't telling the story of The Child's reunion with fellow Jedi. It is telling the story of Din Djarin's ongoing misadventures in inadvertent fatherhood, which are not straightforward by design.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

I agree. The story isn't about the destination. It's about the journey required to get there. Like Ithaka, in Cavafy's famous poem. The twists and turns along the way aren't distractions from the primary story, they are the primary story. The show isn't telling the story of The Child's reunion with fellow Jedi. It is telling the story of Din Djarin's ongoing misadventures in inadvertent fatherhood, which are not straightforward by design.

I think that's a perfect description of the show! Yes, Din's current quest is to find the Jedi, but I don't see that as what the show is about. It's called The Mandalorian, and it's about his journey in life. Mando's story is very much like Homer's The Odyssey. Heck, he even met a "cyclops" a few episodes ago that tried to kill him! Hopefully by the end of the show, Mando will have found a home for himself. Home not as an actual location, but a place in the world with people he considers family.

• Love 14

Baby Yoda is a baby/toddler. He has no concept of eggs as future children. For all he knows, they don’t want him to eat those yummy nutritious orbs because they are treats belonging to the Frog Lady. We get exasperated when a small child sneaks into cupboards to access cookies, but don’t feel they are “evil”, just no impulse control and needing constant supervision.

• Love 3

On 11/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, Browncoat said:

Eating the spider egg was definitely bad -- it caused the rest to hatch and mama spider to go all Aragog on our heroes.  (Yep, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was on TV yesterday -- way way way too many spiders for one weekend!)

The spiders were absolutely horrifying. Full-on nightmare fuel.

• Love 3
On 11/8/2020 at 10:55 AM, Browncoat said:

She didn't say they were the last of her species, just the last of her family line.  

So much this!!!

essentiallt shes like an earth woman in her 40s and she’s done the equivalent of freezing her eggs. Her species won’t end if she doesn’t get home she just won’t be a bio mom.

my question. Why is she planets away from her husband at this critical time anyway?

On 11/8/2020 at 11:45 AM, MissLucas said:

Frog Lady expressed a clear emotional attachment to her eggs - it's speciesist to claim that just because they were not fertilized she was not supposed to view them as her offspring. 

I disagree. 
women are very attached to the eggs they’ve frozen as well.

she has a right to feel as she does but it does nor change the reality that they are unfertilized eggs. 

On 11/8/2020 at 1:53 PM, Llywela said:

That baby has the morality of my cat.

I read somewhere that dogs and cats attain the emotional/intellectual age of 2.

that’s simplistic of course- quite clearly some cats and dogs have caretaking impulses and become older- but there’s something in that!

the jet pack return cracked me up.

it was like in a western when the cowboys horse returns.

(Or dragon in game of thrones)

I screamed out loud several times watching this through my fingers.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

my question. Why is she planets away from her husband at this critical time anyway?

people sometimes have to work away from their spouses even here and now, let alone long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

19 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

She said that there was only one planet hospitable for their species and her husband risked his life to carve out an existence for them there. Sounds like he went ahead to make sure everything was setup and she was supposed to follow. Given what we know about the Empire and imagine there are a lot of refugees looking for a safe place. 

On 1/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, MrWhyt said:

people sometimes have to work away from their spouses even here and now, let alone long long ago in a galaxy far far away.

Well sure but this still seems like bad planning. That this was her last cycle was knowable. 

I get that he went first to build a life but it still seems a pretty clunky plot device. So what were they going to do if he couldn’t build a good life? 

exaxtly

16 minutes ago, lucindabelle said:

Well sure but this still seems like bad planning. That this was her last cycle was knowable. 

I get that he went first to build a life but it still seems a pretty clunky plot device. So what were they going to do if he couldn’t build a good life? 

exaxtly

Only if you assume the risk of her going with him is that they never build a good life. Based on what she said the real risk was that they would both die trying to carve out any life at all on the one planet in the whole galaxy suitable for them. Is it bad planning or the normal struggle of refugees? 

I don't know if this will be answered down the line, and I know I'm behind - 

In S1, the Mandalorian said that Baby Yoda could 'move things with his mind.' This led me to think he didn't know what the Force was. 

In this episode, he clearly says 'may the Force be with you' to the x-wing pilots. It seems odd he'd know that and not have any familiarity when he saw the child using it. 

18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know if this will be answered down the line, and I know I'm behind - 

In S1, the Mandalorian said that Baby Yoda could 'move things with his mind.' This led me to think he didn't know what the Force was. 

In this episode, he clearly says 'may the Force be with you' to the x-wing pilots. It seems odd he'd know that and not have any familiarity when he saw the child using it. 

I had this question too, and it seems like it's just a phrase that people say that no one (or at least Mando) thinks has any deeper meaning behind it.  Maybe something like how we'd say "for Pete's sake!"  Well, who's Pete?  I don't know, it's just a phrase. 🙂 

• Love 3

Maybe it’s a call-and-response situation - like if I heard someone say “May the Lord be with you”, I might be tempted to say “and also with you”, even though I’m atheist, and even when I wasn’t, I wasn’t Catholic 😄

• Love 5
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I had this question too, and it seems like it's just a phrase that people say that no one (or at least Mando) thinks has any deeper meaning behind it.  Maybe something like how we'd say "for Pete's sake!"  Well, who's Pete?  I don't know, it's just a phrase. 🙂 

Yeah, I think it’s just become a saying that’s associated with the rebellion and than the New Republic. 

I have to remember to follow these so they come up in my feed.

I don't know that someone who is as widely traveled as Mando wouldn't know that. I would think he knew enough about Mandalorian history to know they fought Jedi. It's not like he's a farmer way out on Lothal that would never have heard of any of this. 

Or, at the least, when he first said 'he can move things with his mind' and received 'we fought against sorcerers long ago' in reply, he didn't put 2+2 together and say 'oh, is that what they mean by may the Force be with you?'

I can take the point that largely us -as viewers- have been around the Force a lot as it's a main plot in so many of the media, and this show largely takes you out of that context. Jedi were supposed to be largely extinct by this time, but stories are stories. He's had to have heard of the Republic-to-Empire/Clone Wars stories before. 

It's not really ruining the show for me, but you'd think he would know something about the Force so that seeing a baby hold back a charging Rhino would lead him to some understanding as to why he (the baby) was hunted. Mando doesn't strike me as the willfully ignorant type. 

• Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 10:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:don't know that someone who is as widely traveled as Mando wouldn't know that. I would think he knew enough about Mandalorian history to know they fought Jedi. It's not like he's a farmer way out on Lothal that would never have heard of any of this. 

I can take the point that largely us -as viewers- have been around the Force a lot as it's a main plot in so many of the media, and this show largely takes you out of that context. Jedi were supposed to be largely extinct by this time, but stories are stories. He's had to have heard of the Republic-to-Empire/Clone Wars stories before.

I agree - the events of the Return of the Jedi were not too long ago. The importance and implications of the Force should be something that people have a bit of a grasp on, especially if ”May the Force be with you” survived as a phrase. I can see the idea of the Force not being very well understood or kind of bastardized through hearsay, but not forgotten completely.

With regards to the Child eating eggs, I liked it up to a point. It was chaotic and stubborn in a way that rang true to me as a parent of a toddler. I also appreciate that the character is allowed to be something more than a cute Macguffin. But it also left quite a bad taste that the show eventually made slapstick out of the threat of a woman’s unwanted childlessness... The closing shot especially.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm sure there had to have been stories of lightsabers* too. They make the galaxy so small that everyone knows each other or so big that things like the Jedi are forgotten. 

*laser swords

😉 

• LOL 2

And that’s why you always wear your safety harness when flying!

I’m sure cooking meat over the engine exhaust puts all sorts of carcinogens into it. Maybe she figures she won’t live long enough for it to make a difference.

Continuity! I wondered what beef the Republic Forces had with our Mando. Not sure if their rescue was that noble though – without fixing his ship, everyone aboard was likely to starve or freeze to death. Sure, being eaten by spiders is unpleasant (I'd imagine) but at least it's probably quick.

It was bad strategy to go to sleep without fixing the ship first (at least the door). You'd be at your freshest straight after you crashed so you should do your best to do the most then. Sure, you'd had a long day but I'm sure Mando has stayed awake 24 hours straight before now. And since the temperature will drop overnight, if you can't keep the interior insulated (which it clearly wasn't) you'd be better keeping active to maintain body temperature. You could have the fact that he was too busy fixing the ship explain why he didn't see his kid wander off!

On 11/6/2020 at 3:04 PM, paigow said:

If there are no other animals in the ice caves, what would 100.000 carnivorous spiders eat?

Wampas? (Don't ask what they live on though!)

On 11/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, Zahdii said:

I was disappointed that Baby kept stealing Mrs. Frogs eggs, but on the other hand he was allowed (at first) far too much access to what he obviously considered froggy caviar.  While Mando and Mrs. F were belted up in the cockpit, the egg container and Baby were left unsecured in the back.

That's a structural problem with the writing of this episode. We're given the impression that these eggs are super valuable but neither Mando nor Frog Lady treat them that way. Mando doesn't secure them on his ship (surely he has some sort of locker?) and Frog Lady just leaves them unattended in the hold!  

• Love 3
(edited)

Why is Mando so sure other Mandalorians would know Baby Yoda's home planet?  That aspect isn't too clear to me, so it makes this season feel a little directionless.  So the mechanic met the lady frog a few minutes before the Mandalorian walked in the door and the lady frog happened to mention her husband had seen Mandalorians on this other moon which they plan to colonize?  The premise felt a tad flimsy.

What were the Rebel pilots referring to, about the person the Mandalorian saved?  I thought that New Republic guy manning the prison ship died.  I also didn't catch what the Mandalorian was trying to negotiate with them before they told him they weren't going to arrest him.

Considering those were the last eggs of the entire race, I was disgusted with Baby Yoda for eating so many of them, which sort of made the episode a tad less enjoyable (along with the baby triggering the spider attack).  I actually thought maybe the off-screen husband was evil and this was some killer amphibian species, and that would be the twist of this episode.  Maybe we will find out more in the next episode.

Maybe Mando could have the frog re-wire the evil droid parts into a translator machine for future use.  

Edited by Camera One
(edited)
11 hours ago, Camera One said:

Why is Mando so sure other Mandalorians would know Baby Yoda's home planet?  That aspect isn't too clear to me, so it makes this season feel a little directionless.  So the mechanic met the lady frog a few minutes before the Mandalorian walked in the door and the lady frog happened to mention her husband had seen Mandalorians on this other moon which they plan to colonize?  The premise felt a tad flimsy.

What were the Rebel pilots referring to, about the person the Mandalorian saved?  I thought that New Republic guy manning the prison ship died.  I also didn't catch what the Mandalorian was trying to negotiate with them before they told him they weren't going to arrest him.

Considering those were the last eggs of the entire race, I was disgusted with Baby Yoda for eating so many of them, which sort of made the episode a tad less enjoyable (along with the baby triggering the spider attack).  I actually thought maybe the off-screen husband was evil and this was some killer amphibian species, and that would be the twist of this episode.  Maybe we will find out more in the next episode.

Maybe Mando could have the frog re-wire the evil droid parts into a translator machine for future use.  

I don't think Mando is sure the other Mandalorians know the baby's home planet. I think he's hoping that they can point him to Jedis because of the history between Mandalorians and the Jedi. He's looking for a place to start and he thinks another Mandalorian group is his best bet.

The New Republic pilots gave Mando credit for trying to save the guard. And I think also the fact that he captured the folks who were ultimately responsible for the guard's death was added to his credit.

I think there's a pretty long discussion earlier in the thread about the baby's eating of the eggs, so you can get some different perspectives on it there, if you're interested. My own feeling was that the baby is just that - a baby (or toddler). He doesn't have the context for understanding the importance of those eggs, even if he was even present for that discussion (I can't remember). All he saw, at least initially, was something he identified as food. And even after Mando told him "no," he's a toddler. I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of teaching a toddler that something is off limits, but man. They are stubborn. :) Plus, as others pointed out, the eggs weren't fertilized yet, and the mom was content to have them stored with the cargo, so while they had the potential for life at the time, they weren't actually baby frog-people yet. 

Edited by bethy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/11/2022 at 9:59 PM, Camera One said:

Considering those were the last eggs of the entire race, I was disgusted with Baby Yoda for eating so many of them, which sort of made the episode a tad less enjoyable (along with the baby triggering the spider attack).

They were the last of her line not the last of their race.