Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E03: Disney Night

• Start Topic

Random, in no order thoughts:

Pasha looks like Bert Lahr straight out of The Wizard of Oz. Not sad we won't be seeing more cat themed dances, though.

I don't like Skai's dancing. She doesn't blink or move her face or head while she's dancing and it's creepy. Maybe Tyra should teach her to smize.

This was seriously Artem's first DWTS rumba?

Peta was a teapot but not Mrs. Potts? I don't understand. If you're going for generic inanimate object Lumiere's girlfriend was the feather duster.

Sorry Sasha, Sharna and Charlie did a better Mary Poppins Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Charleston. You were screwed before you started. 

• Love 10

Thank goodness.  Anne brings such joy to this and I adore her partnership and respect for Keo.  I don’t ever want to see Carole Baskin on my TV again.  Tyra was much more subdued (verbally, not sartorially) - she must be hearing the boos for her banter and look-at-me antics.

• Love 7

Well, Carole didn't last as long as some feared. No surprise, and again, I'm fine with that outcome. Mainly, looking at Carole and Pasha's costumes throughout just had me wondering if they'd accidentally got lost on their way to Cats

Justina's dance was really cute :D. As was Vernon's. And Jeannie and Brandon were lovely. 

Also, AJ looked kinda hot in the Prince Ali getup. Especially with his bald head-for some reason, that seemed to compliment it all better. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Well, Carole didn't last as long as some feared. No surprise, and again, I'm fine with that outcome. Mainly, looking at Carole and Pasha's costumes throughout just had me wondering if they'd accidentally got lost on their way to Cats

There really weren't any words enough for what an abomination that dance was and the costumes reminded me of Mark and Bristol's monkey suits.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
Just now, nickp1991 said:

Tyra Banks is completely out of her element

She's using her Top Model dramatic voice to read off the safe couples and couples in jeopardy with these five minute long pauses in between and it's just awkward and weird.

• Love 19
Just now, LexieLily said:

She's using her Top Model dramatic voice to read off the safe couples and couples in jeopardy with these five minute long pauses in between and it's just awkward and weird.

Especially on what's supposed to be the "fun" night! It's Disney! Lighten up!

Tonight's dress wasn't as bad as her previous wardrobe choices, especially from far away, but whenever they zoomed in and showed her from the waist up it made her look really odd.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

OMG Tyra this show is just not that dramatic!

She announces the safe couples like it's the most serious thing in the world.

She sounds exactly like she did on America’s Next Top Model when she announced who was eliminated. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Overall the right person went home.

My favorite dance of the night was Nev's, and I think part of it was the choreography that was timed really well to the music. I think the 24 was legit for him. Also, I'm really enjoying his partnership with Jenna. I also really loved Kaitlyn and Artem's dance.

That said, I think the 24 was NOT legit for Johnny for the Rumba. Johnny had like no hip action! I thought he was over-scored. 

• Love 11

Happy the worst two dancers went out the first two eliminations with this format. If only we had a time machine to go back and erase Bobby Bones. 

I don’t recall seeing any Sharna comments but I am loving the fact that she got rid of that terrible red color hair. She looks gorgeous. 

glad I threw a few votes to Anne. I’d hate to see her go out this early. 

• Love 6

When I saw Tyra's get-up, I thought if Drag Race had a challenge to make the ugliest outfit, she'd win, hands-down. And that flaring bustle or whatever made her waist look like it was 50 inches - plus the length did not flatter her legs.

Also hated Justina's black shoes - seemed like it was part of a plan for her footwork to be accentuated and then criticized. And Sasha's jacket should have had red stripes where it had hot pink ones...

Skai seems more like 12 to me. A young 12. And Monica has the charisma of a dustmop. For me, Anne's not much better (but I did enjoy Keo's mini-skirt).

Liked most of the guys tonight, but Jesse is so cloddish. I'm glad they weren't oohing and ahhing - and Sharna's hair might be worse than Tyra's. I laughed out loud when Sharna looked shocked when Jesse said he got his first break in New York! Imagine that - an American actor getting a break in that obscure city. Sheesh. But he's Fred Astaire next to Nelly, who reminded me of an 80 year old - or someone with rods in his spine.

And our professional ballet dancer Kaitlyn looked shocked when someone said she had the best dance of the night? killin' it with her port de bras and I'm sure will keep on killin' it. Must be nice to take 20 years of dance training to the show with you.

At least they stopped lowballing Johnny though his rumba was a bit staccato. I really don't think Britt is very good at teaching for this kind of show. It ain't easy. He needed Cheryl.

And good riddance to the psycho - ha ha at them giving her samba with her, uh, hips (hard to tell she has any with that apple shaped body)

And though I wasn't that crazy about Anne, I do like how she took the floor with her mike and shut Tyra up - and Vernon just took off running as soon as he got the scores. That's the way to give us poor viewers a break from those awkward questions.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Also, AJ looked kinda hot in the Prince Ali getup. Especially with his bald head-for some reason, that seemed to compliment it all better. 

I’d go full-on cougar for AJ McLean, not gonna lie.  Him, and Joshua Jackson.

I don’t really connect with Skai, maybe because she just seems pageanty to me.  Her facial expressions seem to be either the wide-eyed smile or the wide-eyed surprise.  Not a fan.  I don’t much like most of the women stars this year, other than Anne (who seems to be having a blast; bonus she’s with Keo, and I adore him!), and Jeannie.  I remember Jeannie from some long-ago makeover show.  I don’t dislike Justina, either...but the generic blondes do nothing for me.

Of the men, I don’t actually dislike any of them.  I don’t care about Nelly, and Jesse, who is quite easy on the eyes, hasn’t really impressed me yet.  Vernon was great tonight, I’m a longtime fan of Johnny’s (and skaters in general), Nev is pretty good, and AJ is just a sweetheart, and really improving.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
37 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

She sounds exactly like she did on America’s Next Top Model when she announced who was eliminated. 

I've never watched ANTM. Does she realize she's not eliminating them here???

I wish she could eliminate HERSELF !!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I'm pleasantly surprised that Carole Baskins went home.  The costumes were awful.  They were supposed to look like they were from "The Lion King".  Instead, it looks like they went to the costume shop and asked for two Cowardly Lions.

I am surprised that AJ is not doing better... he's been in the Backstreet Boys for 25 plus years and he should be used to taking direction and getting steps right.  I would have thought he'd be near the top like Nick Carter was but he seems to be solidly middle of the pack.  Is he being underscored?

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

Tyra Banks is completely out of her element

When will these "top executives" learn that TELEVISION is NOT Tyra's element.  She is UNAPPEALING and self-absorbed.

They keep force-feeding us.  WHO are they?  WHY are they doing this to us???

58 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

OMG Tyra this show is just not that dramatic!

She announces the safe couples like it's the most serious thing in the world.

She's completely inept!

• Love 7

What's WORSE thanTyra Banks as "host" of Dancing with the Stars?

Having Tom Bergeron gone!!    What were they thinking???  

• Bring him back!
    • Bring him back!
      • Bring him back!
Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 14

The show was better than last week's. Tiger Lady is gone. Disney night is always fun. The judges talked more.

I still miss Tom. Tyra still asks silly question. The wig looked like something from The Cowardly Lion. Maybe she's was vibing with Carole and Pasha. Why was the long hair lighter than the rest? Enough with the grand entrance. I don't want to think about fashion more than dancing.

Nev was good. Classic ArgenTINE tango. I thought Johnny was overscored. I think he might've done better with a more experienced pro. But it's still early. 

All I can think when Jesse finishes dancing is he's better than Bobby Bones. 

Edited by babyhouseman
adding
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

That said, I think the 24 was NOT legit for Johnny for the Rumba. Johnny had like no hip action! I thought he was over-scored. 

Yes, he was over scored, but I cant blame Johnny for all of it. The choreography was terrible on all his dances.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, edie3 said:

and all those personal questions...is Tyra channeling Dr Phil too?

The questions are too much. Just have fun dancing.

Can't all that be saved for the Most Memorable Year dance? do they still do that?

• Love 1

I don't know exactly how Derek feels about his parents, but I know enough to know that it might be complicated. Tyra sticking her nose in there was a real yikes moment.

Disney night is just repetitive now. I feel like I've seen all these numbers before and oftentimes done better. Do they think I've forgotten Charlie White? Or how Sharna glowed in Ariel dress up? Of how into being a pirate Frankie was? I get that there are only so many Disney songs but this didn't feel special.

I'm glad Carole's gone but I also feel like the show was working to make that happen. Between the hair and makeup and the slower tempo song for a samba, things were not working in her favour.

• Love 13

Is it just me or were a couple of dances ridiculously overscored tonight? Specifically Chrishell and Johnny. Maybe I'm seeing things differently but if that dance from Chrishell was an 8 then Nev, Kaitlyn and Justina should all have at least one 10 by now in the competition.

Again, tonight showed why the judges vote is important and a good addition to the show. It wouldn't have surprised me had Carol got more viewer votes than Anne, which on previous seasons would have sent her home. Now Anne gets at least one extra week.

To be honest, I hope we see a double elimination next week or soonish if it would mean that the dances could be extended so they don't all last about 45 seconds max due to the amount of couples they have. I've got nothing against any of them, but they could eliminate Chrishell, Monica, Skai, Jesse and Nelly next week and I wouldn't blink an eye. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I don't know exactly how Derek feels about his parents, but I know enough to know that it might be complicated. Tyra sticking her nose in there was a real yikes moment.

Yeah, and I feel like Tyra sticking her nose in a lot of things and playacting like she has that type of friendship or even colleague relationships with these judges that, let's be honest, she's probably never met before July or August is just yikes, like you said.

• Love 12
Just now, LexieLily said:

Yeah, and I feel like Tyra sticking her nose in a lot of things and playacting like she has that type of friendship or even colleague relationships with these judges that, let's be honest, she's probably never met before July or August is just yikes, like you said.

I missed whatever she said to Derek, but I cringe every time she asks them about some personal thing they mentioned in the intro package.

Also, we already saw the package, why do we need to talk about it again after they dance? Ask them about the dance. 

At least the judges each had more than four and a half seconds to give a critique tonight. Just dumping one couple made it feel so much less rushed.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I missed whatever she said to Derek, but I cringe every time she asks them about some personal thing they mentioned in the intro package.

Also, we already saw the package, why do we need to talk about it again after they dance? Ask them about the dance. 

Even my mother mentioned that tonight when Tyra asked Johnny what it meant to him to have his family's support and love. He JUST talked about that in the video clip!

I think the winner for the most awkward question of the night was when Tyra asked AJ if there was a genie in the ballroom what would he wish for. I almost wanted him to say that he wanted world peace. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Even my mother mentioned that tonight when Tyra asked Johnny what it meant to him to have his family's support and love. He JUST talked about that in the video clip!

I think the winner for the most awkward question of the night was when Tyra asked AJ if there was a genie in the ballroom what would he wish for. I almost wanted him to say that he wanted world peace. 

he should have wished for them to bring tom bergeon back!!!   imagine if he had said that!!!!

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

She is not quick-witted.  She will never be able to think on her feet.  I hope some producer loses his job (surely a female had nothing to do with hiring Tyra). I hope (against hope) that someone will come out with a Tell-All to let us know how/why she is hired for these high-profile, high-paying network jobs.  Jobs for which she is so inappropriate that she RUINS everything!

• Love 9

I really liked Jeannie’s dance. Liked Kaitlyn, Johnny, AJ, Vernon and Nev’s dances as well. Half of these folks are forgettable though. Jesse, Chrishell, Monica and Nelly can be the next to go in no particular order. Skai needs to loosen up. She should be better.

I’m glad the cat lady is gone.

• Love 4

I love the fast pace of this show now, and how it has so much less wasted time with a bunch of nothing.  That said, I do really think Tyra is not a good fit.  I can deal with her because I am used to her acting like Tyra, but I really think the show would have been almost perfect if they had gone with this quick, simple format and left Tom in.  I just think she is very awkward, and it is a bit distracting.  However, the fast judging comments, and the quick intro, etc, are all good.  I even like Derek, which is a miracle.  I was getting to the point I couldn't stand him, but he is doing okay as a judge.

• Love 9

Nellys teeth bug the fk out of me.

Monica has no personality whatsoever. my god i would hate to be at a party with her.

Jesse is another one with no personality but hes hot so...i give it a pass.

Skai's dancing is....off and stiff..i expected so much better.

Glad the judges got to speak this week. Still dislike Tyra.

• Love 2

There was a lot of off dances last night, particularly with the first few celebs. Justina's dance was surprisingly off. The energy was off and it felt like she was half a beat behind. 

The last few dances were overscored. Chrishell's dance, in particular, did not need an 8. I thought that she was....ok with the moves that she was given to do, but Gleb's choreography was ridiculously simplified and it felt like he mostly twirled around her while she just posed, stuck out her hand or foot and then was led to the next spot on the dance floor. Again, she did what she was told to do but the dance didn't even hit all 7s for me. 

Johnny's also was just ok. He did improve in his footwork this week, but it was still a subdued dance and he still needs to work on his presence. It definitely was NOT deserving of all 8s. All 7s would have been fine because he DID do better this week. 

At least Nev and Jenna didn't need to dance to the exact same Pirates song they love to use, so props for another song. And Nev did a great job with what he was given.

I do think that Skai has been shaken up by last week's mistake, and it showed with her complete hesitance last night. She definitely looked like she was making sure she didn't make a mistake while she put on a show face. The height difference wasn't as bad this week, but now she's displaying a lack of confidence. It also doesn't help that she keeps going very early in the night. so her scores are just naturally lower. That being said, she did deserve a seven if others could get 7s and 8s. 

Jeannie and Kaitlyn had the best dances of the night for me, followed by Nev and AJ. I thought AJ had the energy and his Quickstep wasn't half bad. It was actually fairly decent.

Jesse had the performance down but it felt like it lacked a bit of jive. I do think having one less day to practice affected a lot of the celeb's performances, especially the ones who are not strong in the dance department, and I think it showed most of all with Jesse.

I'm gonna be honest; I didn't think Vernon was good enough for that 8. I thought his Quickstep with Peta was just ok. I think two 7s and a 6 is what I would have given him.

Overall, I am glad Carole went home. That samba was a disaster and I feel bad for Pasha, who really did try and at least got one ok performance out of her last week.

No comments on Tyra this week. The judging was decent and I did end up agreeing with many of their critiques. Derek's critiques are still miles ahead better than Carrie Ann's or Bruno's because he actually gives advice that can help the celebs perform better next week. 

• Love 8

Derek is the only judge I care to listen to because he gives practical criticism in an easy to understand way.  That's probably why he was so successful as a pro on this show... he was able to give his partner instruction that they could understand and implement.  

• Love 10

Poor Skai just looked terrified from beginning to end during her dance. I'm sure she was scared she'd make another mistake but that wide-eyed look of abject terror made me sad watching her performance. I hope that since she got through last night without any major flubs that she relaxes a little more next week because I think she has a lot of potential.

I know logically that Kaitlyn did a good job with her dance but as soon as I heard the opening notes, I thought of nothing else but Simone Biles and Sasha's contemporary to the same song. I *loved* that dance. I know Sasha had much more freedom with the choreography since it was a contemporary and not a rumba like Kaitlyn's so it's not really fair of me to compare but I was still left feeling pretty neutral at the end.

I really enjoyed Nev's pirate dance. His drunken Captain Jack Sparrow mannerisms were so on point, it made the dance fun for me. He blended it so seamlessly with the dance, too. I was impressed.

I was a bit deflated by Justina's dance, it just seemed a little more low-energy than I was expecting. I don't know if she wasn't comfortable with the dance style or the choreography wasn't good or what, but it was just so subdued. Then again, maybe I was subconsciously comparing her dance to Charlie White's to the same song, which again isn't really fair since they had jazz and as with Sasha and Simone, more freedom with the choreography. I love Justina though, she and Jeannie are my favorites, so I hope she finds the fun again next week.

Speaking of Jeannie, her Viennese waltz was so pretty. I loved it and think it may have been my favorite dance of the night.

I'm still pretty neutral with Johnny. It looks like he keeps wanting to skate instead of dance and it makes his footwork look shaky and choppy to me, like he wants to glide and is surprised the floor is stopping him. He did show some improvement last night but I thought his scores were a smidgen too high. I wouldn't have given him 8s for that.

I wish with all my heart that Tyra would stop with the catwalk at the beginning of every episode. She spends the rest of the time being relatively inoffensive and dare I say unobtrusive (similar to Erin Andrews actually in my eyes) but that model strut entrance really gets my goat. If we're going to be stuck with her, I just want her to do her damn job and host the show, not pretend she's the star of it. I miss Tom so much.

Edited by JenLily
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, vibeology said:

I missed it.

What did she say about his parents?

• Love 1

I'm just waiting to Tyra's ridiculous weave to get caught in something and get yanked off her head.  And her over-enunciation is really starting to grate.  Just speak normally, please!

And she really needs to ditch the hi-low dresses.  They are SO dated and yes, dear, we know you have good legs.  But this show is not about YOUR legs and how they move, but about the contestants and pros.   

Disney week makes me stabby & critical.  I hate all the songs, routines & costumes.  Blech.  At least the murderer is gone.  

• Love 3