Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E03: Disney Night

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, OnTime said:

I missed it.

What did she say about his parents?

After Johnny's dance, Derek made a comment commending all the parents who sacrifice so that their kids can achieve their dreams. Tyra piped in saying something like that it was clear that it was a very personal comment from Derek about his parents and he didn't really say anything back. And I don't know if it was because he didn't want to say anything back or for time. 

Like I said, I have no idea what Derek's feelings are towards his parents, but I do know that after his parents divorced, he spent half his childhood being raised in another country by Corky and Shirley Ballas so there's a chance it's complicated. 

• Useful 4
13 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Anne brings such joy to this and I adore her partnership and respect for Keo

For me, Anne will never bring joy.  I can't forget her 25yr history of phoniness, manipulation, lies, and "falling in love" with Hollywood people to boost her career (see the Steve Martin movie, "Bowfinger").  Of course, it worked.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

All I can think when Jesse finishes dancing is he's better than Bobby Bones. 

Bobby Bones!  Forgot about that producer-created fiasco.

I wonder what will go down THE WORST of all DWTS decisions:

• Bobby Bones insider selection as a "dancer"
  • Bobby Bones' WIN
  • Firing Tom Bergeron
  • Tyra Banks insider selection as host.
Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

When will these "top executives" learn that TELEVISION is NOT Tyra's element.  She is UNAPPEALING and self-absorbed.

They keep force-feeding us.  WHO are they?  WHY are they doing this to us???

She's completely inept!

I fast forward through the entire show with MUTE on so I don't have to hear Tyra's voice. I stop to watch Johnny Weir's rehearsal, dance and judging with MUTE off. Then fast forward to the end. ABC went wrong by firing Tom. When are they going to realize this?

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

• Bobby Bones' WIN
  • Firing Tom Bergeron

My vote is for firing Tom B. BAD move, ABC.

Just read about how well Nev did as Jack Sparrow so I watched his dance on YouTube. Agree, Nev killed that dance. Jenna's choreography was great too and I LOVED that lift where he swung her around while she help a great pose with her legs. Great dancing from these two. I will certainly watch their dances on YouTube since I do not watch this show anymore since Tom is not hosting.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

• Bobby Bones' WIN
  • Firing Tom Bergeron

Firing Tom Bergeron.  Whoever made that decision needs to be fired.

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 9

I don't like Skai's dancing. She doesn't blink or move her face or head while she's dancing and it's creepy. 

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but this is the second week in a row they cut to a shot of Skai and Alan right after Johnny finished dancing and she looked really disinterested. She was looking off to the side and doing a sort of polite clap in her lap without smiling at all. Either she just doesn't understand she's supposed to look happy for her fellow competitors, or she really doesn't like Johnny. Or - as you note, maybe she just has resting bitch face when she's not performing (and when she is, looks unnatural.)

My favorite q&a was when she asked Justina what her 5 year old self would say to her today - "You're old!"

Actually, she asked Justina what she would say to her 5-year old self.  Justina misunderstood and responded with what her 5-year old self would say to her

Since Disney owns the songs anyway, why don’t they just use the originals??

I think we ask this question every year and I still don't get it. They surely have the rights to them and the covers are horrible. Maybe they're depriving someone of a job if the don't do covers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I felt like all the into packages were even more scripted than usual last night, and there was only one script:

Pro: For DISNEY NIGHT (*act excited*), we are dancing to                  (insert song) from                  (insert movie).

Star: That's so                      (insert positive adjective)! That song/movie (choose one) is perfect for me since:

a) I relate to that character because                        (insert inspirational reason); OR
b) I am such a wonderful parent because we went to Disney World/we watch Disney movies (pick one).

Edited by Fliz
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

Speaking of songs, I meant to say last night that it was cool to hear a mention of Jon Batiste. I liked his version of "It's All Right" that they played, and reading up on that Soul movie, it sounds rather interesting. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but this is the second week in a row they cut to a shot of Skai and Alan right after Johnny finished dancing and she looked really disinterested

She does it all the time, not just with Johnny. But last night it really annoyed me. You're getting paid girl, act like you want to be there.

• Love 8

I enjoyed most of Disney night as it brightened my mood due to all of the extenuating circumstances of life.  I liked that there were not huge production numbers and instead they played excerpts from some of the movies on screens behind the dancers.  The costumes were overall very fun for me.

However, there is just something bothersome about Tyra for me on this show.  I really missed Tom last night as he would have had fun with the Disney theme whereas Tyra treated it more as the MOST! IMPORTANT! EVENT! IN! THE! WORLD!  I am glad that the judges kept Anne over Carole although I, too, remember Anne's manipulations of both Steve Martin and Ellen Degeneras.

I agree with others that something just seems off about Shai and her dances.  I think producer picks are now starting to emerge.  What a shock that Kaitlyn and Nev do so well (both trained as dancers)... Johnny seemed very shaky to me and his posture was really bad when he pulled back his partner.  There were others that didn't seem deserve the higher scores that they received.  

Not sure how much of the rest of the season that I will watch.  I tend not to like most memorable year episode.  If they have more "lighter" themes I may watch.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know if it's just a coincidence but this is the second week in a row they cut to a shot of Skai and Alan right after Johnny finished dancing and she looked really disinterested. She was looking off to the side and doing a sort of polite clap in her lap without smiling at all. Either she just doesn't understand she's supposed to look happy for her fellow competitors, or she really doesn't like Johnny. Or - as you note, maybe she just has resting bitch face when she's not performing (and when she is, looks unnatural.)

I noticed this too.  Everyone else upstairs is engaged in supporting the dancers below and she has no expression / looks like a petulant 10 year old.  I'm not a fan.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I enjoyed most of Disney night as it brightened my mood due to all of the extenuating circumstances of life.  I liked that there were not huge production numbers and instead they played excerpts from some of the movies on screens behind the dancers

I really enjoy that the backup dancers are gone!

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
33 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I noticed this too.  Everyone else upstairs is engaged in supporting the dancers below and she has no expression / looks like a petulant 10 year old.  I'm not a fan.

A lot of these folks look surly, or they are on their phones all the time. Not a very likeable bunch, but they do dance pretty well.

• Useful 2

Opening number:

Skai's jive:

Monica's Viennese waltz:

Justina's Charleston:

AJ's quickstep:

Anne's quickstep:

Jeannie's Viennese waltz:

Nelly's foxtrot:

Carole's samba:

Kaitlyn's rumba:

Vernon's quickstep:

Nev's Argentine tango:

Johnny's rumba:

Jesse's jive:

Chrishell's waltz:

Elimination:

• Love 3

Every year I momentarily get excited about Disney night and then I remember that it means the band will be murdering songs from my childhood again.

If we're only looking at this week's dances, Carole's wasn't the worst of the night. But I'm also fine with her being eliminated so there's that. Now we're left with the remaining celebs being at around the same level which will make the season interesting.

I don't know what to say about Tyra's Minnie Mouse outfit. It was just ridiculous.

Skai's jive was one of the worst dances this week. She doesn't finish her moves and her quality of movement is very immature which makes me feel like I'm watching a 12 year old at her first dance recital.

Monica's Viennese waltz was fine but nothing to write home about.

I had higher hopes for Justina's Charleston but I was so distracted by her black shoes. I love that she is clearly having the time of her life though.

AJ's quickstep was another of those middle of the road routines that was fine but not great.

Anne's quickstep seemed really short on quickstep.

Jeannie's Viennese waltz was a mixed bag. She really needs to work on extending her arms and finishing her movements but overall it was not bad.

Nelly's foxtrot was down there with Skai's jive as one of the worst of the night. Because everyone else is kind of at the same level, this was one of the performances that stood out as being below the rest of the pack.

I was expecting Kaitlyn's rumba to be amazing since she has all this ballet training. It was good but not great which was disappointing on one hand, but on the other hand I guess it means that she's not going to be the runaway standout all season.

Vernon's quickstep was good but he was really flat footed. He also really needs to pay attention to making an effort to specifically point or flex his feet instead of just letting them flop around.

Of all the characters/movies I'm tired of seeing on Disney night, Pirates of the Caribbean is at the top of the list. At least with the others, they sometimes vary the costumes or characters used but every POTC dance is a bad Johnny Depp impersonation. Like Kaitlyn, I expected Nev to do better due to his dance background but I thought this performance was good but not as good as I had hoped.

Johnny's rumba gave me more of the same impression I've had so far - he has some moments when he has these beautiful lines and shapes and then the rest of the time, his dancing and footwork are just okay. He's not falling down bad or anything but I thought he would be giving us better dancing and a lot more personality.

Jesse's jive had some fun choreography but it looked like he was behind a few times. He seems to have decent musicality though so I'm hoping he will have a breakout moment.

Chrishell's waltz seemed like it was over before it began. The dress was lovely but I was expecting more waltz.

19 hours ago, LexieLily said:

She's using her Top Model dramatic voice to read off the safe couples and couples in jeopardy with these five minute long pauses in between and it's just awkward and weird.

Ten beautiful girls stand before me, but I only have nine pho-tos in my hands.

6 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I wish AJ would close his mouth when dancing.  That wide open gaping is distracting.

Some dancers/athletes have their mouths open because they're trying to breathe in as much oxygen as possible. I don't know if that's why AJ is doing it (and I agree that it's distracting/unattractive) but if these routines are a lot for him cardio wise, that might be why.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
On 9/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, LexieLily said:

She's using her Top Model dramatic voice to read off the safe couples and couples in jeopardy with these five minute long pauses in between and it's just awkward and weird.

Ten beautiful girls stand before me, but I only have nine pho-tos in my hands.

EXAHCTLY !!!    So bizarre.  Since she's an Executive Producer, she probably has an ironclad contract.  

Apparently she has impressed someone:

“Tyra Banks is an icon whose powerful presence, trademark confidence, and industry-leading achievements inspire us,” Valerie Bruce, general manager, LA Productions, BBC Studios, said in the same release. “This represents a landmark moment … as we take this iconic show in a new creative direction.”      And Tom Bergeron is chopped liver.

7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

“Tyra Banks is an icon whose powerful presence, trademark confidence, and industry-leading achievements inspire us,” Valerie Bruce, general manager, LA Productions, BBC Studios, said in the same release. “This represents a landmark moment … as we take this iconic show in a new creative direction.”      And Tom Bergeron is chopped liver.

Where's the eyeroll reaction? 🙄

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

She does it all the time, not just with Johnny. But last night it really annoyed me. You're getting paid girl, act like you want to be there.

I guess this doesn't bother me much because she really doesn't need to be smiling every time the camera cuts to her. We have seen a lot of the celebs this season go from looking neutral to putting on a smile (I presume as they realize they're on camera). Some have their heads buried in their phones. There have been SO many camera cuts to someone with their head in their phone and not even looking at the stage. I would rather a real reaction like a neutral face than a fake one. I really appreciate authenticity. Even if Skai has had a resting bitch face on,  I'm ok with that. It doesn't impact her ability to dance. I just think back to Simone Biles telling the judges who also asked her to basically smile more that "Smiling doesn't win you gold medals." I know that was more about her performances but I just don't think smiling or not smiling is a huge deal. I'm more annoyed to see Tyra smizing the camera every two seconds and asking dumbass questions. Who the hell cares what Justina's 5 year old self would say to her (or what Justina would say to her 5 year old self). Tyra's questions make things more awkward than Skai not smiling when the camera cuts to her for a second. Skai not smiling doesn't take away from the show. 

We also don't know if Skai was smiling or not before they cut to her. They could have very well cut to her at a bad time.

But I also say this as someone who internalizes feelings and has a very blank face a lot of the time. 

That being said...it's why I still see Skai not making it to the finale and I'm ok with that. I have other favourites over Skai at this point. And she's looked so nervous and terrified in her last two dances at least that it IS something that affects her performance. She still is hesitant and it is affecting her performances more so for me. She's been a bit sloppy in her dance this week BECAUSE her nerves seemed to get to her. A smile wouldn't have fixed that (but she was smiling in this week's Jive so that's clearly not the issue). 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That being said...it's why I still see Skai not making it to the finale and I'm ok with that. I have other favourites over Skai at this point. And she's looked so nervous and terrified in her last two dances at least that it IS something that affects her performance. She still is hesitant and it is affecting her performances more so for me. She's been a bit sloppy in her dance this week BECAUSE her nerves seemed to get to her. A smile wouldn't have fixed that (but she was smiling in this week's Jive so that's clearly not the issue). 

I really don't care if she smiles or not either. She's hardly the only one. The people on their phones are probably going to create a worse impression, whether they deserve it or not. My main issue with her is that she freezes and it's very noticeable. Alan needs to work on that or she is going home soon. I'm surprised they didn't give her Val. He's good with the young kids.

• Love 6

Hm, I think Nev Schulman will win this. He clearly knows how to move, and he has Jenna Johnson as a pro, who will probably bring him votes? I don't follow DWTS all that much. The other stand out is definitely Kaitlyn Bristowe, who I think is a better mover than Nev, though I'm by no means trying to make a definitive statement since I'd need to observe their dancing more closely lol.

I can take or leave the others. Not really surprised at Weir's dancing even now.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Annber03 said:

Mainly, looking at Carole and Pasha's costumes throughout just had me wondering if they'd accidentally got lost on their way to Cats.

All I could think of was the Cowardly Lion but AFAIK the Wizard of Oz is not Disney.

What was going on with Darwood’s sash? (Derek).  It was on, it was off, it was crooked.  I suppose they’re splicing the dances together out of the order that they were presented.

So. Many. Waltzes. And other IMO boring dances. Apparently only one tango per episode is allowed.

• Love 3

Tyra is still asking awkward questions.  At least with one couple gone, the judges had a little more time to say something but they were still rushed.  The Minnie Mouse dress was ugly and she needed to have less hair.  It looked similar to the lions' manes in Carole's and Pasha's dance.

Poor Skai.  She was smiling but look terrified.  Last week really affected her.  I hope that since she didn't mess up this week, she will loosen up next week.  That said, she's an adult but still looks like she belongs in DWTS Juniors.  Her legs remind me of Bambi when he was learning how to walk.  She has a juvenile quality to her dancing.

Last week, I said that Justina was my favorite in terms of overall personality, dancing, and her pro.  So of course, I'm disappointed with her Charleston this week.  Noticed the lack of feet swivel that Derek and Bruno mentioned.  The choreography seemed simple too. It's because not only was I comparing it to Sharna/Charlie's dance but also Sasha/Simone's Charleston. 

Liked Jeannie and Brandon's dance and partnership.  You can tell that she doesn't have dance training but I like how she is fearless.  This was evident in her first week when they did that lift.  This week's dance tamed her wildness and it was pleasant.

Nev and Jenna had a really beautiful AT.  However, I think he was trying to be in his drunken pirate character so sometimes his frame was horrible.  He was hunched over really badly.  It was kind of distracting.

Nelly had a nice song but he's very stiff.  He has good musicality but it seems like he can't move his body the way that he wants it to.  He should be the next one to go.  Although, there are others that could go and I wouldn't care.  At least with Carole gone, the rest of the dancers are either adequate or very good.

Johnny was better.  It helps that sometimes the rumba is like contemporary on this show.  They just add a little hip movement.  Not saying that's all there is to a rumba.  Just saying how it's treated on this show sometimes especially if the pro doesn't specialize in Latin. I love the lyrical lines Johnny makes with his upper body.  I think he would have learned more ballroom/Latin if he had Danielle instead of Britt.

Vernon is handsome and has a killer smile.  I like that he used it this week since he was so stoic last week.  He did a good job but I think CAI gave him an 8 because she likes handsome men.  An 8 was too high.

The judges definitely went up in scores as the night moved along.  Chrishell was overscored.  Her waltz was very simple.  They used her gown to cover her legs and feet.  You can still see how pigeon toed she is when she was walking down the stairs.  Then they used the cameras to cover a lot of her lower body.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Her legs remind me of Bambi when he was learning how to walk.  She has a juvenile quality to her dancing.

We should NEVER see her legs for any quick/fast dances.  I'd bet her scores would have been higher if she had a longer dress.  The Bambi reference is spot on...SO distracting!!!

25 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

Johnny was better.  It helps that sometimes the rumba is like contemporary on this show.  They just add a little hip movement.  Not saying that's all there is to a rumba.  Just saying how it's treated on this show sometimes especially if the pro doesn't specialize in Latin. I love the lyrical lines Johnny makes with his upper body.  I think he would have learned more ballroom/Latin if he had Danielle instead of Britt.

I agree.  ANY of the "seasoned" pros.  Britt will be his downfall...and maybe hers (sadly).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

. Who the hell cares what Justina's 5 year old self would say to her (or what Justina would say to her 5 year old self). Tyra's questions make things more awkward than Skai not smiling when the camera cuts to her for a second.

And if Tyra IS operating from a script, she (as Executive Producer) should demand a professional award-winning WGA* member.  Then...STICK to the script and let dancers have copies so they're not blindsided.

*Writers Guild of America (the writers' union)

On 9/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, Meowwww said:
23 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Some dancers/athletes have their mouths open because they're trying to breathe in as much oxygen as possible. I don't know if that's why AJ is doing it (and I agree that it's distracting/unattractive) but if these routines are a lot for him cardio wise, that might be why.

I wish AJ would close his mouth when dancing.  That wide open gaping is distracting. 

AJ's a longtime smoker so that Electric Boogaloo may be onto something. Otherwise, he looks like he has "cheer face" on (when my D did competitive cheerleading years ago, they all had those weird expressions with open mouths lol).  And the lack of AJ's hair kinda creeps me out. I'm wondering if he's prepping for another round of plugs

On 9/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, Marmiarmo said:

I remember Jeannie from some long-ago makeover show.  I

Thank you so much for this! I had no idea who she was, yet she seemed somehow familiar… I had the Style Network in my cable package for a while. Gosh that was a long time ago.

5FBFF536-8261-4757-B127-319215E7FBF8.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2020 at 5:51 PM, boyznkatz said:

A lot of these folks look surly, or they are on their phones all the time. Not a very likeable bunch, but they do dance pretty well.

Maybe they think just because there's not a live audience there to see them, the TV audience can't see them as well? 😃

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

Maybe they think just because there's not a live audience there to see them, the TV audience can't see them as well? 😃

I have heard people say that the producers have been communicating with them on their phones, to keep distancing up? Maybe they could use that to give them heads up for when they’re about to be on camera. 

23 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I said that Justina was my favorite in terms of overall personality, dancing, and her pro. 

Ha. You made me watch her again, and I agree, she's probably my overall favorite, even though Nev and Kaitlyn are better movers. She's very happy to perform. I'd love to see her win.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 3

My DVR was still set to record the show so I watched some of Monday's show last night.  I've never like Disney night anyway but after a about an hour I realized that I was paying more attention to my tablet than the TV.  Tyra Banks for Tom Bergeron?  Not hardly.  As difficult as the format is this season due to Covid-19, Tom would have made this work. Tyra does not.  Erin probably wouldn't have been involved with this season anyway since there are no Skybox interviews.  As much as I like the judges, their presentation seems very forced. Again, it's understandable given the circumstances.  So I've got the second hour of the show left to watch but I'll pass and probably won't watch the rest of the season. It will be the first full season that I've missed since the show went on the air but so be it.  Anyway, I hope the rest of you enjoy the season and, more importantly, stay safe and healthy.

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 4

I really miss Tom Bergeron!! He was so quick with gentle wit to smooth rough patches.

My other problem with this season is the exuberant crowd sounds. We know there is no studio audience. Stop faking it!! It's hard to hear what's being said. At least turn it down to a dull roar.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, cali1981 said:

My DVR was still set to record the show so I watched some of Monday's show last night.  I've never like Disney night anyway but after a about an hour I realized that I was paying more attention to my tablet than the TV.  Tyra Banks for Tom Bergeron?  Not hardly.  As difficult as the format is this season due to Covid-19, Tom would have made this work. Tyra does not.  Erin probably wouldn't have been involved with this season anyway since there are no Skybox interviews.  As much as I like the judges, their presentation seems very forced. Again, it's understandable given the circumstances.  So I've got the second hour of the show left to watch but I'll pass and probably won't watch the rest of the season. It will be the first full season that I've missed since the show went on the air but so be it.  Anyway, I hope the rest of you enjoy the season and, more importantly, stay safe and healthy.

I think the order of what happened is that there are no skybox interviews so they didn't need Erin. Assuming that the skybox interview was invented so that the contestants would get off the floor so the set could be changed for the next elaborate dance scenery pre-Covid. With the pandemic, I think they thought they needed more dancing content to replace the pros dancing with each other.  So more contestants.  Smartly they eliminated having to run up a bunch of steps to get interviewed by second person. They eliminated the person, the steps, and the separate interview. Unfortunately they asked Tara to ask some stupid questions instead of skybox interviews. I can't believe what they put in the Teleprompter. for Tyra to ask.

The good, the bad, and the ugly:

Good - some of the costuming (Nev as a pirate, Jeannie and Daniella's dresses), Derek as a judge (surprise!), some of the dances (my fave was Jeannie and Brandon and all those balloons!) and the elimination.

Bad - Tyra (everything about her), some of the costumes (Justina's shoes?!), Johnnie's man bun, and Johnnie's weird hip movements.

Ugly - Tom B's firing, Tyra (everything about her) and the fact that DWTS has lost its heart (Tom).

Can you tell I miss Tom? Big mistake, abc. Huuuuge. I trust karma will kick you where you deserve.

• Love 8
On 9/28/2020 at 9:28 PM, madpsych78 said:

Overall the right person went home.

My favorite dance of the night was Nev's, and I think part of it was the choreography that was timed really well to the music. I think the 24 was legit for him. Also, I'm really enjoying his partnership with Jenna. I also really loved Kaitlyn and Artem's dance.

That said, I think the 24 was NOT legit for Johnny for the Rumba. Johnny had like no hip action! I thought he was over-scored. 

Kaitlyn didnt have much of hip action either.

• Love 2

I couldn’t figure out what about Skai bothered me but after watching her again I think it’s because to me, her face looks very mannequin-ish.  She has a smile plastered on her face while dancing, it looks fake and doesn’t change.

I’m team Justina all the way.  She’s so real and is having so much fun, and that’s what this show should be about. 

• Love 3

A few thoughts on this episode...

I didn't know anything about Nev before this, but I'm somewhat impressed by him so far. His mannerisms as Jack Sparrow were spot on, and his dancing ability surprises me for some reason.

Poor Pasha-what was up with that costume?  I was embarrased for him.  Did anyone else catch Bruno's face during their dance? It was priceless.  Glad Carole is gone.

Tyra sucks, and her outfits are horrible-BRING TOM BACK!!!

I see Nev and Kaitlyn battling it out for first place-the rest of them are kind of middle of the pack or worse to me, altough I do like AJ, Justine, and Jeannie's enthusiasm(although Jeannie's taking the 8 paddle was a little much).

Any one of Nelly, Anne, Chrishell, or Jesse should be the next to go, but Monica and Skai aren't too far behind them.

I like having Derek as a judge-he gives good constructive criticism in a nice way. While Bruno does as well, he's a lot more elaborate about it. CAI is relatively useless as far as that goes.

• Love 2

I am not a fan of Tyra Banks as a host.  I liked her in her show.  I feel she is to dramatic with everything, she fumbles her words a couple of times on every show and I don't like all the slang words she uses. I miss Tom and Erin.

• Love 2

I am a full week behind and I haven’t read any of the comments so apologies if I am beating a dead horse, but I just came here for one reason only: I CANNOT STAND TYRA BANKS!!! My sweet Jesus she sucks! Why oh why did they can Tom for her??? And her hair! Holy shit! I don’t know if that is a weave, a wig or horrible extensions, but it’s atrocious! It’s reaching Cousin It levels of bad - it seriously looked like the hair was trying to swallow her torso this week. She needs to pack up that janky hair and exit the ballroom! Whew, I feel better now. Rant over....

Oh, and one more thing- I kind of love Nev. 

• LOL 2
On 9/28/2020 at 10:03 PM, blackwing said:

I am surprised that AJ is not doing better... he's been in the Backstreet Boys for 25 plus years and he should be used to taking direction and getting steps right.  I would have thought he'd be near the top like Nick Carter was but he seems to be solidly middle of the pack.  Is he being underscored?

I'm not watching the whole show, but as someone who dances but isn't a pro nor someone who is a natural with all the dance forms, I'm curious too. AJ was the best dancer in BSB, and he's blessed with rhythm. He IS a great dancer. I could always imitate pop star moves so long as they're not too complicated, have a little rhythm, and can take direction okay. I still find certain dance forms challenging. When I started taking classes, I felt awful because I expected everything to come easily to me. It's a lot to think about at once-the steps, keeping up with the beat, moving your feet properly, the frame, keeping it all smooth and pretty. Switching from salsa to tango would throw me off. So would switching from open to close embrace. AJ is the kind of guy who can move sexily no problem in a club, but ballroom dancing is complicated. I'm sure some of the more natural ballroom dancers wouldn't be able to move the way AJ can. So the fact he's a pop star who can dance on stage gives him an advantage, but maybe it's no guarantee he'd be near the top. I don't know, but I'm a huge BSB fan, and AJ is a favorite. I hope he goes far! 

Edited by RealHousewife
On 9/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, ams1001 said:

OMG Tyra this show is just not that dramatic!

She announces the safe couples like it's the most serious thing in the world.

Actually, Tyra, IT Is NOT That Dramatic To Emphasize Every Single Number That You Dial To Vote For the Couple You Want !

• Love 1
On 9/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, McManda said:

Random, in no order thoughts:

Pasha looks like Bert Lahr straight out of The Wizard of Oz. Not sad we won't be seeing more cat themed dances, though.

I don't like Skai's dancing. She doesn't blink or move her face or head while she's dancing and it's creepy. Maybe Tyra should teach her to smize.

This was seriously Artem's first DWTS rumba?

Peta was a teapot but not Mrs. Potts? I don't understand. If you're going for generic inanimate object Lumiere's girlfriend was the feather duster.

Sorry Sasha, Sharna and Charlie did a better Mary Poppins Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Charleston. You were screwed before you started. 

Charlie DID Drop The UMBRELLA !

On 9/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, MerBearHou said:

Thank goodness.  Anne brings such joy to this and I adore her partnership and respect for Keo.  I don’t ever want to see Carole Baskin on my TV again.  Tyra was much more subdued (verbally, not sartorially) - she must be hearing the boos for her banter and look-at-me antics.

Tyra IS STILL Too Cutesy ! How Ever, Tyra IS Letting Derek TALK ! They Were Running Out OF Time AT The End !

On 9/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, LexieLily said:

There really weren't any words enough for what an abomination that dance was and the costumes reminded me of Mark and Bristol's monkey suits.

Carole's Dance Was NOT As Bad AS The First Week When She Looked Like She Was Going To Claw Her Partner ! The Problem Was That There Was NOT Enough Bounce And Energy For The Samba ! I Did Like The Way They Made Their Hands Go In A Circle And They Would Go Around In A Circle For Circle OF Life ! How Ever, Walking IS NOT DANCING ! This IS Dancing With The Stars, Not Walking With The Stars !