Type keyword(s) to search

Season 37 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

I seem to be visiting all the tables Trey.  I think Clue sounds great.  Mystery Meat is giving me flashbacks to dorm food. 😄  Since I realized yesterday I have several unlabeled containers in my freezer, I'll propose we all grab something without looking, defrost and potluck.  Maybe we get all desserts, maybe a well rounded meal, maybe something in between.  Sound good?

Edited by Grundoon59
one fingered typing on my phone is not always accurate
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

So far I only see three of us who only got one FJ correct. @zoey1996 and @secnarf  Does a smoked chicken, and andouille sausage gumbo sound good to you? How about a game of Scrabble, but I am open to other options. 

Those both sound good!  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

So far I only see three of us who only got one FJ correct. @zoey1996 and @secnarf  Does a smoked chicken, and andouille sausage gumbo sound good to you? How about a game of Scrabble, but I am open to other options. 

I love Scrabble!

• Love 3

Blessed be to the Jeopardy gods who lifted their humble servant to

4/5, no*!

I once participated in a 24 hour bridge game in law school. We rotated players in and out depending on class schedule, eating, and sleep. Lots of fun, especially around Hour 20.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

5/5 and 1*. It took me a sec to come up with Le Figaro. I first thought of Le Monde, then Charlie Hedbo, then remembered Le Figaro. I should have thought of that one first, it's the main one in France. And I recently toured several battlefields when I was staying in D.C., so was glad I knew where Antietam was. 

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

I love Scrabble!

As do I!

• Love 2

3/5* with 1 *.   

Mon/Wed/Fri.

I'm in for Clue.  Can I be Miss Scarlett?  If not Col Mustard?  I've never been Col mustard before.  🙂   

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 3
(edited)

It's TOOT TOOT Tuesday and time to present the Big Winner of WEEK 26. And that person is the "other" T word, @Toothbrush, who achieved the pinnacle of perfection with a first-ever FIVE. Congrats Player Toothbrush. Feel free to let this magnificent award go to your head. You have bragging rights for a full week. Meanwhile, the rest of the contest players (translation: Me) award you with The High Five Award. Put your hands in the air, everyone!

Side note: @Grundoon59 is Reserve Winner this week, achieving that honor by posting the best story about her FJ choices. For that, Grundoon59 gets a hearty handshake and a pat on the back. And a request for more next week.

high-five-graphic-895x1024.thumb.png.0820ea7d58f34befe37c57488ca0e370.png

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

Congratulations @Toothbrush!!!! Way to go!🏆🎖️

I am deeply grateful for the Reserve award - a lot of great memories stirred up by FJ last week and if I am lucky enough to get some answers this week, I will continue to share. 

So far, not so good 😄- last night's clue went swoosh!!!! right over/under/around/through my head without any trace of getting to the answer.  While all three of the contestants got it apparently easily, I sat quietly in my corner repeating "you can't know everything, you can't know everything" - it didn't really help. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

2/5, one asterisk.  That strikes me as funny - I get one triple-stumper and one triple easy-peasy.  (Do we have a term for a FJ that everybody gets - the opposite of a TS?)

I don't even know of any other artist that had a "color" period. I was amused by the fact that the champ so very carefully wrote "Pablo Picasso?" but left out the "is."  --- "Who Pabloc Picasso."  I wonder if she noticed it while watching today and is cringing.

• Love 2

WEEK 27 • March 15, 2021 — ONE asterisk *
131. Fictional Places. Introduced to readers in 2008, its name comes from a Latin phrase for “Bread and Circuses”, offerings used to appease the masses.
*132. Triple-"A" Geography. Home to the Piazza Alberica, this Italian city is better known for what it supplied to works by Henry Moore & Michaelangelo.  *
133. Presidential Elections. In the 1912 election these 2 parties on the left of the political spectrum finished 2nd & 4th, totaling 1/3 of the votes.
134. Broadway Roles. Of the more than 15 actors to play the lead in this musical, Howard McGillin holds the record with over 2,500 performances.
135. Artists. The February 17, 1901 death of his friend Carles Casagemas made this grief-stricken artist change his color palette.

• Love 1

I'm claiming 2 1\2 with no *. Phantom and Picasso (both Ps...) were instagets. Bill Moose was also an instaget because I've always loved the name, and I knew it was Teddy Roosevelt and that he split the vote after being denied a nomination he thought should have been his. But I agonized over the second party and couldn't settle on anything in time. 

The wrong answers the rest of the week were peppered with gladiators, remembered hospital stays, and all the mental debris I seem unable to keep in my mental attic the last several months.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4

15 MAR    Panem        1/1
16 MAR    [totally blanked]!!!    1/2
17 MAR    Soc. + Progr.        2/3
18 MAR    Phantom/Opera    3/4
19 MAR    Pablo Picasso    4/5

4/5, no *. Pissed off because this art historian should've known Carrara.... grrrr... 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I had both Hunger Games and Pan is bread in Spanish so probably Pan something and didn't get Panem.   No, seriously.   

I had... you know, the marble type... um... uh... 

Guessed Les Mis.  

But I had my parties of 1912 down because history/political science degree is history/political science degree and did I mention I have a minor in art history?  Um, please don't tell them about the marble issue.

2/5 no *

• Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Bill Moose is Bull's younger cuter brother.

My tablet constantly changes even words I spell correctly. And then it leaves in place things that are definitely not words. It drives me batty and I don't know how to turn it off. I spend more time correcting posts than actually posting. Ugh. But I love your sweet way of pointing it out with humor.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

My tablet constantly changes even words I spell correctly.

I played Farmville and would often refer to "foals"---my Kindle would always change it to "coals"!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I had both Hunger Games and Pan is bread in Spanish so probably Pan something and didn't get Panem.   No, seriously.   
I had... you know, the marble type... um... uh... 

There's also marble bread, which is delicious.

@biakbiak, I am missing your score from a week ago, Week 26. Your score for this week, Week 27, is recorded. Would you fill in the blank for me, please, and thank you?

I'm back in my comfortable chair at the T41. Phantom was the only Broadway play I could think of, although whenever I think of it I think of the movie that starred Gerard Butler as the Phantom. Yeah, he sang. I also got the Bull Moose part of that clue. Close, but no cigar for me. The best miss for me was category Artist. Me, with five, yes FIVE college years of art history and a BFA from a college that only gave BFA degrees, and I said Van Gogh. Eh, so my major was illustration, advertising design minor. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 3

4/5 with one *.  Had absolutely no idea for Monday and was pleasantly surprised by the rest of the week falling into my lap.  The parental Grundoons were both art lovers and Henry Moore was a favorite sculptor so my brain went right to the answer.  Ditto Picasso.  Like bybrandy, I was a history/government major so that was right in my wheelhouse.  

Broadway is one of my strong categories again thanks to Mother and Father Grundoon who started taking me to shows at an early age.  Howard McGillin is one of those actors who popped up on a fair amount on 70s and 80s tv and then made a move to Broadway.  I was aware he had played Phantom a lot but my memories of him on stage are from Edwin Drood, Secret Garden, She Loves Me (all Broadway) and Mack and Mabel (in London).  I think it is time to dig out some of my old CDs and listen to him again - he has a great voice. 

• Love 4

Week twenty-seven: I'm back to the Table For Two, without the complementary asterisk. Like @Ailianna, I got Bull Moose for the 1912 election question, but I don't think we've set up a Table for Two-and-a-half yet, and if Charlie Sheen is at all associated with that table, I'm staying home!

So there!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

4/5 and no asterisk. I would have gotten it if the clue was asking for the stone, not the city. Although I guess then everyone else would have gotten it too, which would have been okay with me!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, PBnJay said:

4/5 and no asterisk. I would have gotten it if the clue was asking for the stone, not the city. Although I guess then everyone else would have gotten it too, which would have been okay with me!

Stone? What stone? There's a Stone in Hunger Games?  j/k, sort of.  Not a Hunger Games fan, zero movies watched, zero books read.

7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Stone? What stone? There's a Stone in Hunger Games?  j/k, sort of.  Not a Hunger Games fan, zero movies watched, zero books read.

LOL, you are a day off. I meant the stone quarried in that Italian city I couldn't think of, the rock used by Michaelangelo. If they were looking for marble instead of Carrara, I would have answered correctly! When I did a search for Carrara, a link for a Carrara toilet seat came up. 

3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Stone of SCONE. That's why they're hungry. The need scones & clotted cream.

The Stone of Scone is a frequent Jeopardy clue/answer. But scones and clotted cream would be a good treat at our respective FJ tables, no? Then there are the Elgin Marbles ... not quarried in Carrara!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

It's TOOT TOOT TOOT TOOT Tuesday, time to announce that @theartandsound has been awarded Winner of Week 27 based on consistency, scoring exactly the same for the last four weeks. Four times four times ... equals The Big Winner. Congrats, theartandsound. Long may you rule the contest! Meanwhile, here is a small token of our appreciation of your FJ skill.

1391211277_consistencyaward.png.002f976b1fa3dbe88c4a7731beb2568b.png

• Love 7