Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I was irked that Alex mispronounced Madeline.

"In an old house in Paris covered in vines lived 12 little girls in two straight lines." etc "The smallest one was Madeline". Doesn't work if you pronounce the last syllable "lynn".

I also noticed this...and then started singing the song "she's madeline, she's madeline". I also noted that he neglected an opportunity to pronounce homage with a French accent.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As for FJ not being an actor, what qualifies someone as an actor? Does it have to be one's first and main occupation? Stan Lee has 127, yes, 127 acting credits on his IMDB page. I think calling him "not an actor" was one more poor FJ writing choice.

I think this can get confusing - I remember playing 20 questions about 15 years ago with my sister, and she was trying to get me to guess Oprah, and one of the questions I asked was if the person was an actor. My sister reeeeeeally had to think about that one. I went on a different line of thought for last night's FJ and thought of Walter Cronkite, though I was certain he had died earlier than the year specified in the clue. I thought, he isn't an actor, but clips of him have been in several movies.

As for tonight's FJ, I thought of 'adrenaline junkie' which I doubted was a psychological term, then synonyms 'risk-taker' and 'thrill seeker'.

• Love 3

As a Type B person, I did not get today's FJ. I did get some TSs, but with the wind making my antenna drop so often, I did not keep track. Yesterday when the wind was even worse, I followed the game on J-archive, which is handy if anyone else has ultra-bad rural reception.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My youngest had a mind like a steel trap when it came to Potter. We had a Potter trivia game, and she beat us all, every time we played. She was in grade school.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I didn't grow up with it. The first book came out shortly after I finished college and I didn't start reading them until just before the third (I worked at a bookstore and that was the first one that got the big midnight release party treatment so I figured it was time to read this thing).

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Boo that no one knew August Wilson or The Glass Menagerie. 

I knew August Wilson! I apparently got distracted and missed the Glass Menagerie question entirely but I just checked the archive and I definitely would have gotten that, too.

1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Referring to the FJ answer (or 'question', if you will), what on earth does "Type A" have to do with a cannonball? Alex seemed to imply one had somthing to do with the other. I don't get it.

I thought the same thing, but I did get it right. Mostly it was a guess, but the phrase "behavior type" got me there somehow.

• Love 1

"Not an actor" could refer to appearances "as himself" as Stan Lee did on Big Bang Theory.

Heard a radio bit about Type A personality, although it didn't mention “Cannonball Mike” Friedman.  A group of cardiologists had to keep having the chairs in their waiting room reupholstered because the patients wore out the arms and the fronts of the seats. One time the upholsterer looked at the seats and said "What is wrong with your patients? I've worked for a lot of doctors, and none of their patients wear chairs out this way." The cardiologists started to realize that their patients had more stress and anxiety than normal.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

We got last night's game tonight - which works for me, as I haven't seen the show all week.  I cannot believe oversight was a TS; when the champ incorrectly guessed overlook, I figured that would cause the light bulb to go on over at least one of their heads.  Or that North and South Dakota was a TS; two states + Sioux = the Dakotas.

I can't believe they put up a picture of Kenny Rogers. 

To catch up, I read the archive for tonight's game.

Wood was a bit surprising as a TS, given "paper-like" and "fibers" in the clue.  No one knowing the ICC, Pretty Boy Floyd, or The Glass Menagerie surprised me a little, too, but no big stunners.

In the Billboard 2020 category, I pretty much just sat here and stared at my monitor laughing.  I guessed a couple based on other things in the clue, but I didn't actually know any of those songs.  I did pretty well otherwise, even getting FJ as a lucky guess - "type" being in the clue made Type A spring to mind.  I had no idea if it was right, but also had no idea who Cannonball Mike was, so went with it.

• Love 1

In Tuesday's game, if Kevin had bet everything for FJ and been wrong, would he still be the champion, or would they have started over with three new contestants? I wanted him to bet bigger, but I'm assuming he had his reasons. Sorry to see him go now though. He was a good champ.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As for FJ not being an actor, what qualifies someone as an actor? Does it have to be one's first and main occupation? Stan Lee has 127, yes, 127 acting credits on his IMDB page. I think calling him "not an actor" was one more poor FJ writing choice.

I had no idea Stan Lee had been in so many projects. I wonder if anyone had asked him if he would've considered himself an actor. He came to mind immediately because I think of him as making cameos, so yes, appearances, in whatever he's in. Whenever you see him, he's pretty much still supposed to be recognizable as himself, not necessarily disappearing into a role. I think that's the kind of distinction the question was getting at. The friends you mentioned I would consider actors, even if not professional ones. I don't think I'll ever argue with an FJ question being edited for clarity though.

For Thursday's game, I got wood, bodice, the ICC, August Wilson, and The Glass Menagerie. I could only think of daredevil for FJ. Then I thought of the Simpsons episode featuring Homer going on tour with the Lollapalooza sideshow getting hit by a cannonball. Then I watched the episode.

I would've paid good money to watch Alex read Megan thee Stallion lyrics, but lucky me I didn't need to.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

In Tuesday's game, if Kevin had bet everything for FJ and been wrong, would he still be the champion, or would they have started over with three new contestants? 

They would have started over with three new contestants. It’s happened before—not often, but it has happened.

I guess none of the players are theater goers (or were, before the theaters closed). They saved the category for last, and Daniel’s DD was more about celebrity trivia than plays.

I did get FJ; it seemed like one of those “either you figure it out right away or you ‘ll never get it” questions. I felt the same way about the Stan Lee question, which I would never have gotten right. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Lucky you for being able to sleep w/o dogs waking you up every few hours so they can go outside.

I did it again this evening. I think I'm working my way around the clock to get to a normal bedtime.  Sheesh.  I gather Kevin's gone.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I gather Kevin's gone.

Yes, he is. A lady named Kristin won. She started out slow, but found her pace and bet well on FJ. 
My night was nothing spectacular. I got wood, Lost in Space, Gin (went to an old tasting place in Amsterdam and remembered it, but I still don’t like the taste of it), Bronx  and missed FJ. The “Cannonball” part of the clue threw me completely off. 

• Love 2

Kevin had five great games then just sort of faded away in his sixth game.  That was a surprise ending to the game, but I'm glad Kristen won.

My ts's were wood, bodice, escape, Scotland and entente.

So many possibilities for FJ.  I came up with workaholic which I figure is at least not embarrassing.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Lucky you for being able to sleep w/o dogs waking you up every few hours so they can go outside.

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.”  --Ogden Nash

• LOL 7
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

A former Chicago radio talk-show host has been in four episodes of Chicago Fire, plus three other tv shows. She's also a writer, stand-up comedian and is running for political office. She is a member of the Screen Actor's Guild (SAG). What is her profession?

This sounds like one of those word problems in school. 😁

14 hours ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea for FJ.  I said narcissist for lack of a better answer.

I said sociopath. Go big or go home. LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Trey said:

So many possibilities for FJ.  I came up with workaholic which I figure is at least not embarrassing.

I feel like most answers for this aren't embarrassing because how on earth was anybody going to know that unless they actually know who that guy is and/or what he said.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Driad said:

The cardiologists started to realize that their patients had more stress and anxiety than normal.

Based on that, I should have no upholstery left on any of my chairs or couch. Which is maybe why I'm sitting in a wooden chair right now.

I'm thinking Alex might have jinxed Kevin with the double talk about his making it to the ToC, this done some 20 minutes before he had to play again. Psych.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Kevin had five great games then just sort of faded away in his sixth game.  That was a surprise ending to the game, but I'm glad Kristen won.

I read somewhere that someone suggested that many multi-day champions lose on Thursday, because it is their fourth game of the day. They are mentally exhausted by that time.

YMMV!

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I read somewhere that someone suggested that many multi-day champions lose on Thursday, because it is their fourth game of the day. They are mentally exhausted by that time.

YMMV!

So you're at a disadvantage to try to become a 5 day champ if you're first game airs on a Monday or Tuesday.  Wed or Thurs and you have a break in between games.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

So you're at a disadvantage to try to become a 5 day champ if you're first game airs on a Monday or Tuesday.  Wed or Thurs and you have a break in between games.

The break during the taping day comes between the Wednesday and Thursday games.  There's also the disadvantage of having a game after a meal. If you've played two or three games at that point, the mental energy expended makes you ravenous!

• Love 1

I have terrible news. I actually managed to pass the online test, so now I have to decide whether to do the Zoom audition or not.  It's too scary.  I don't want to embarrass myself.  Plus, I'm very ugly.  And if I managed to get on the show, I'd do all those nervous things that you guys all complain about.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

Take heart! Buck up! We won't jeer at you for your looks or your mannerisms - well, at least I won't. 

This is a great opportunity for you - don't waste it!

Edited by Trey
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I have terrible news. I actually managed to pass the online test, so now I have to decide whether to do the Zoom audition or not.  It's too scary.  I don't want to embarrass myself.  Plus, I'm very ugly.  And if I managed to get on the show, I'd do all those nervous things that you guys all complain about.  

No one is ugly. Go for it.

• Love 12

I signed up for a time next Friday.  I'm already nervous.  I had put tape over my camera on my computer so that nobody could hack look at me.  Yes, I'm paranoid.  I can't get it off, but my boss says I can use his.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Didn't do so well today (granddaughter again), got 4 in Around the House and that's the best in any individual category.

Got the TSs of vacuum, pearls, Ah!, Victoria, to boldly go where..., George III, You Can't Go Home Again

Did not get FJ, I think I was vaguely thinking of Rodeo also, not really familiar with Appalachian Spring.

I was so close for FJ!  I said "Rite of Spring" which probably isn't even a thing.  Too bad they don't give partial credit.  

But I did get pearls, Bill Murray, vacuum, Ah!, Elvis Costello, You Can't Go Home Again, China, and Kennedy.

That was some cardigan on the middle guy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I did it back in the summer.  And they aired part of it on our local news.  I understand your hesitation, but honestly it is fun and there is no guarantee they will call you. I had an audition 4 years ago and never heard anything more.  I thought this time I might have a bit of an advantage since I am within driving distance of Los Angeles (Vegas), but I have not heard a word.  I freely admit I was horrified to see myself on tv, but my family is so excited that I might be called that I couldn't not do it. 

The bonus is that they are not taping in front of an audience right now.  That would make me a lot less nervous.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Plus, I'm very ugly.  And if I managed to get on the show, I'd do all those nervous things that you guys all complain about. 

Posters who have been on the show say the make-up person is wonderful and makes them look beautiful. So of course they would do the same magic for you.

I THINK our last poster who was on the show was Teebax, and she got excellent support from all of us. So, go for it girl!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Do it! I did the in-person audition four times before I actually got on the show. The audition was actually a lot of fun. They gave us some Jeopardy! swag for showing up - ear buds in a little zippered Jeopardy! pouch as I remember.  Maybe they'll mail you something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/8/2020 at 1:12 PM, ABay said:

Of course!

Abraham, too. Not a church-goer but that story has to have shown up in The Ten Commandments or some film of that like.

Going back to last week. Abraham's story wasn't part of Ten Commandments -- quite a few generations between those stories. Abraham and Isaac was the final, longest story in the movie The Bible: In the Beginning which covered the first half of Genesis. From Adam (Michael Parks), to Cain (Richard Harris), Noah (a comical John Huston) down to Abraham and Sarah (George C. Scott and Ava Gardner).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just read the archive since we're still a game behind.

Elvis Costello was a TS with Elvis spotted?!  No one getting the Star Trek line really surprised me (I've never seen an episode of any iteration, but I know the line), too, as did the You Can't Go Home Again TS.  The steam TS surprised me a bit; I don't know what the visuals were, but heated water was all I needed.  No one guessing Lockheed Martin was a bit surprising, too. 

I'm hit and miss with pop culture and have been a lot more miss lately, so I was happy to run the actors category (for most, I only knew one role, so I'm glad there were two).  I ran three other categories, so it was a good first round.  In DJ, I was hopeless in the English monarchs category, but did well otherwise.  I had no idea on FJ, though.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No one getting the Star Trek line really surprised me (I've never seen an episode of any iteration, but I know the line), too

He knew the line, but he didn't include the "to boldly go" part, and the response had to have "go" in it. (I think he focused too much on the specific part of the line that the clue referred to and forgot.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

He knew the line, but he didn't include the "to boldly go" part, and the response had to have "go" in it. (I think he focused too much on the specific part of the line that the clue referred to and forgot.)

Yeah, but that wasn't a DD, that was a clue open to anyone, and even after he gave most of the answer, none of the other two rang in with the correct phrase.  That's what surprised me.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was so close for FJ!  I said "Rite of Spring" which probably isn't even a thing.  Too bad they don't give partial credit. 

It IS a thing - a ballet by Stravinsky that includes a virgin sacrifice.

I knew it was Copland, but once I got Rodeo stuck in my head, the only other things I could think of were "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Billy the Kid," neither of which fit the clue. My forehead hurts from all the "DUH" slapping.

• Love 3

My father always wanted me to pay more attention to Copland, but he didn't speak to me.  Copland, I mean, not my father. I knew it was him but couldn't've given you the title to save my life.

Alex's evident interest in small points like having two contestants whose names begin with "Aa" is and has always been very charming to me.  I genuinely couldn't imagine where he was going with "out of our contestant pool...these two players have come on...and what are the odds that..."  It sounded like a best man's toast or something!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, but that wasn't a DD, that was a clue open to anyone, and even after he gave most of the answer, none of the other two rang in with the correct phrase.  That's what surprised me.

I think its one of those where players were confused about why he was wrong and what they were wanting exactly as an answer.  I'm sure they all knew the line from the opening.  

I had no clue on FJ.  

• Love 3

I had no idea on FJ.  If they hadn't specified American and a year I would have said Peter and the Wolf, which probably isn't a ballet, but not really my subject.

I got the TS of pearls, Bill Murray, steam, Elvis Clstello, JFK , George III and Henry VIII.  I got the entire category or orders wrong, and basically had a pretty bad game.

17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had no idea on FJ.  If they hadn't specified American and a year I would have said Peter and the Wolf, which probably isn't a ballet, but not really my subject.

I got the TS of pearls, Bill Murray, steam, Elvis Clstello, JFK , George III and Henry VIII.  I got the entire category or orders wrong, and basically had a pretty bad game.

That english rulers category was rough on the players. Plus it's a category I'd think you'd brush up on right before going on the show.  It's one of the most four most asked about things. 

Basic World geography 

American president's

Shakespeare 

Kings of england / uk 

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

Go ahead and do it. If you do go on, you're part of the forum family, so no one will diss you for all those nervous things - tease a little, maybe - but not diss.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was thinking "something to do with a season?" But then I thought, no that's Vivaldi. I'm totally ignorant when it comes to ballets - it's my assumption that most major classical pieces have been made into ballets at some point.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I was hopeless in the English monarchs category, but did well otherwise.  I had no idea on FJ, though.

Surprisingly, I did pretty well. And when I was wrong, I was usually at least in the right century (Elizabeth 1 vs Henry VIII)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The same thing happened to me. I was thinking "But he's right!" when AT ruled him wrong. When AT gave the answer, I remembered the category. Duh moment for me at home with no lights, cameras or other people judging me (except you guys) so his error is totally forgivable in my book. My guess is no one else buzzed in because they were thinking "What's the deal, he's correct" too. And I'm a Trek fan, I watch at least one version every day (it's on for four hours every evening), and have had consecutive crushes on Spock, Worf, Picard, and most recently, Odo.

I guess there was no time after FJ for AT to comment on Aaron being a contestant and part of the FJ answer, and Ballett being a contestant and part of the FJ answer since he used his extra minutes at the beginning to mention the dueling AA names.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I thought Rodeo....so I got the right composer at least. 

Ditto

Many ts's again; mine were Ah!, pearls, vacuum, steam, don't go there, Elvis Costello, You Can't Go Home Again, China, and JFK.  I would gladly have traded all these for a correct FJ.

I am usually pretty good with English monarchs but each clue seemed to need a little deeper thought than usual so I didn't do so well in that category.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And I'm a Trek fan, I watch at least one version every day (it's on for four hours every evening), and have had consecutive crushes on Spock, Worf, Picard, and most recently, Odo.

Spock's too much like my ex (who tried to emulate him). Odo, though, I liked Odo. I've always loved Rene Auberjonois. I recently saw his son Remy in something, and knew right away they were related.

• Love 1

There were so many TSes in Friday's game I kind of lost track of the ones I got. I actually think I won the game.

I am rubbish at all monarchy-related things (I blame my little red soul), but I managed all of the English monarch questions. Either they were really easy, or I've consumed too much UK-based tv.

I know of Aaron Copland as a composer (I came to this knowledge via the old "Beef: It's What's for Dinner" commercials, lol), but I didn't know any of his work was for ballets. I'll have to look into that.

Fingers crossed we get to root for you soon @Katy M!

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, dgpolo said:

I've decided that 'clue' is best rather than trying to decide whether to call it an answer or a question. I'm not sure what about Cannonball spoke to my brain about Type A, maybe a picture of someone rushing through life mowing down all before them or a 'force to be reckoned with' or something. I know it wasn't anything conscious in my mind, more of a -feeling- than anything.

That clue said absolutely nothing to me, so I did not get it.

3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I know of Aaron Copland as a composer (I came to this knowledge via the old "Beef: It's What's for Dinner" commercials, lol), but I didn't know any of his work was for ballets. I'll have to look into that.

I knew Rodeo had been a ballet, choreographed by Agnes DeMille, but I did not know that Appalachian Spring had been one.  So of course my FJ answer was Rodeo.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:37 PM, Bastet said:

No one knowing the ICC, Pretty Boy Floyd, or The Glass Menagerie surprised me a little,

I was thrilled to get Pretty Boy Floyd but was not at all surprised that the contestants didn't.  Them missing The Glass Menagerie did, though.

Can't remember which night it was that ELVI was a category, but the contestants not getting Elvis Costello deeply disappointed me.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:37 PM, Bastet said:

n the Billboard 2020 category, I pretty much just sat here and stared at my monitor laughing.  I guessed a couple based on other things in the clue, but I didn't actually know any of those songs. 

Yeah, me too.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:22 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

I would've paid good money to watch Alex read Megan thee Stallion lyrics, but lucky me I didn't need to.

He read about the only lyrics of hers that you can actually say on television.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

I was so close for FJ!  I said "Rite of Spring" which probably isn't even a thing.

It's a thing, but it's Stravinsky, not Copland.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:24 PM, saber5055 said:

Posters who have been on the show say the make-up person is wonderful and makes them look beautiful. So of course they would do the same magic for you.

She's the only person who has ever managed to hide the dark circles under my eyes - I wanted to bring her home with me.  She's a miracle worker.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

No one guessing Lockheed Martin was a bit surprising, too. 

I guessed McDonnell Douglas.

On 10/17/2020 at 1:04 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew it was Copland, but once I got Rodeo stuck in my head, the only other things I could think of were "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Billy the Kid," neither of which fit the clue. My forehead hurts from all the "DUH" slapping.

I'm familiar with Appalachian Spring but did not know it had been a ballet.  Should've said it anyway, since Rodeo didn't exactly fit.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

Elvis Costello was a TS with Elvis spotted?!

And what, a week after no one knew Lawyers, Guns and Money by Warren Zevon?  Philistines!!

On 10/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

That english rulers category was rough on the players. Plus it's a category I'd think you'd brush up on right before going on the show.  It's one of the most four most asked about things. 

I can name every British monarch from Edward the Confessor and Elizabeth II, and some of their spouses, and I still got both George III and Henry VIII wrong; I said George IV (Regency, you idiot, while George III was nuts, not after he was dead - ugh!) and Elizabeth I.  Sometimes the brain just doesn't go to the right place quick enough.

3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

(I came to this knowledge via the old "Beef: It's What's for Dinner" commercials, lol)

This is from the ballet Rodeo.  So you were getting there.

• Love 4

I hate having the show air a day behind all week. Now I'm finally caught up.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, GreekGeek said:

For FJ I said “Them” instead of what was ridiculously obvious once revealed.

At first I said that, then thought, "No wait. 'Them' wasn't remade. That was 'The Thing.' But that doesn't fit the category. Oh! It's 'It'!"

On 10/15/2020 at 4:59 PM, Katy M said:

I had no idea for FJ.  I said narcissist for lack of a better answer.

I too said narcissist though I didn't think that was right.

I didn't know that Chris Sullivan (Toby from This Is Us) was the camel on Geico.

On Tuesday's show, I think Mexico was referred to as "this Central American" country. I always think of Mexico as part of North America.

I got a bunch of TSs (like many people here) on Friday's show. Ah, pearls, Bill Murray, Geoffrey Rush, vacuum, steam, You Can't Go Home Again, Queen Victoria, JFK, and Lockheed Martin.

Then for FJ I confidently said out loud "Aaron Copland" -- and thanks to people here I learned I had been misspelling it all these years. But then I saw that the clue was asking for THIS ballet, so my mind was racing trying to recall the name... I didn't get it.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4