Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I just checked the archive for last night's game (I thought I'd finally be able to watch, but it was preempted by basketball).

I did not have a good game; in the first round, I missed most of the TV clues, and only ran one category (Snap, Crackle, or Pop).  In DJ, the only Before & After I got was He-Mansplaining, which made me laugh.  I technically only got one of the church/cathedrals clues, but I'm giving myself credit for "gothic" since I believe I'd have got it if I'd seen the picture.  I only ran the Oxford Alumni and "C" categories, but I did know all but one song and knew/guessed (mostly the latter!) one Hittites clue.

Thankfully, FJ was an instaget to make me feel a little better.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I technically only got one of the church/cathedrals clues, but I'm giving myself credit for "gothic" since I believe I'd have got it if I'd seen the picture.

For some reason I hadn't thought about how the archive deals with picture or video clues. I just looked and there's a link to the image but it goes to a page not found error. Helpful...

(This is the cathedral in question:)

image.png.9d61bd6e6cdd62d57d3cf4c800c73b57.png

On 10/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, illdoc said:

Umm...I'm going to go stand over in the corner. I said "Albania", because I could think of no other country.

I said "Austria" and smacked my head when Alex said continent. At least I didn't really think I was right.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, Browncoat said:

Raised Methodist here, with preachers all through the family, and forced to go to Sunday School AND church every week.  And Vacation Bible School usually more than once in any given summer.  And I missed FJ.  I should have known it, but the name just wouldn't come to me.  Oh well. 

*I almost don't want to admit it, but "What's a cubit?" was in my head in Bill Cosby's voice.  I hate that he turned out to be a heinous criminal.  "Noah" was comedy gold.

Raised by wolves, but I'm generally do pretty well with Bible categories due to reading (and having been a Lit Major). But my brain retrieved the wrong name.

If I'd seen this live, I would have gotten the answer the same way.  The "Noah" routine was a key element to one of my very favorite community experiences (too long and off topic to go into), and I'm always saddened that this memory has been tarnished. Which is the least of my reactions to what that man did.

This week was terrible due to preemption by basketball (I think), the debate, and more basketball, and the mister rejecting my advice on how to record one of the nights Jeopardy didn't actually appear on the Tivo guide.  There might have been some words when I found out. Minor, but terse.

I was so backed up that I couldn't read the forum until today, so I've forgotten which categories I swept (there were a few).

But Farenheit 451 was an instaget - unfortunately the single one of the week. 😞

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said "Austria" and smacked my head when Alex said continent. At least I didn't really think I was right.

You were only two letters short, so I'd call that pretty close to a win.

Raised by wolves ... my soulmate ...

• Love 2

What amazes me about the FJ questioned about the biggest country beginning and ending in the same letter is I never realized until now how many countries begin and end with A. 

I got Australia just because it was the first one I came to beginning and ending with A, but then I was trying to think of the biggest countries

Austria

Australia

Algeria

Albania

Andorra

Angola

Anguilla

Antartica (not a country)

American Samoa (again is this a country?  territory?  both?)

Argentina

Armenia

Aruba

Antigua and Barbuda

Then there is Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.  The only two countries in the world that start with but don't end with a, and they end with "an". 

A very odd quirk in the list of countries. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

And then even more odd, after that, there are very few countries beginning and ending in the same letter

Eritrea

Tibet

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Seychelles

Solomon Islands

Two of those are just because of pluralized names and they start with S.

Though looking through the country list, lots of countries end in A in general, so its just a quirk of the alphabet and English language more than anything.

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1
On 10/10/2020 at 1:00 PM, The Wild Sow said:

I'm still reeling with shock from the "Abraham" FJ!  HOW did three educated adults not know that?  

If nothing else, haven't they ever listened to Bob Dylan?

Now you expect us to be not only Bible experts but Dylan fans? This educated adult* thinks that might be asking too much.

*I use the term loosely.

Edited by saber5055
That and hat do not mean the same.
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

What amazes me about the FJ questioned about the biggest country beginning and ending in the same letter is I never realized until now how many countries begin and end with A. 

I got Australia just because it was the first one I came to beginning and ending with A, but then I was trying to think of the biggest countries

Austria

Australia

Algeria

Albania

Andorra

Angola

Anguilla

Antartica (not a country)

American Samoa (again is this a country?  territory?  both?)

Argentina

Armenia

Aruba

Antigua and Barbuda

Then there is Afghanistan and Azerbaijan.  The only two countries in the world that start with but don't end with a, and they end with "an". 

A very odd quirk in the list of countries. 

Aruba isn't a sovereign nation - it belongs to the Netherlands.

I believe American Samoa is a territory.

53 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And then even more odd, after that, there are very few countries beginning and ending in the same letter

Eritrea

Tibet

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Seychelles

Solomon Islands

Two of those are just because of pluralized names and they start with S.

Though looking through the country list, lots of countries end in A in general, so its just a quirk of the alphabet and English language more than anything.

Eritrea doesn't start and end with the same letter.

Yes, and then we get into the whole kerfuffle of last season where they specified that it was the English-language country name that they were looking for and confused a good chunk of viewers in doing so!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Aruba isn't a sovereign nation - it belongs to the Netherlands.

I believe American Samoa is a territory.

Eritrea doesn't start and end with the same letter.

Yes, and then we get into the whole kerfuffle of last season where they specified that it was the English-language country name that they were looking for and confused a good chunk of viewers in doing so!

You're right.....duh, Eritrea is not one of them.  Another ending in A.  Just Tibet and the "s" ones, I'd expect there to be more on the S list

I thought for sure there would be one with N too but there is not

So just 5 countries/names of territories (not sure about some of those islands) other than the ones that start with A. 

54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Has anyone seen @lb60? Four weeks in and no sign of the pantsless James-loving bear. It's not the same without her

She/he? doesn't seem to have posted since September 9.  Hope everything is okay.

• Useful 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- and an asterisk!  I've known about the migration and wintering grounds of the Monarch there for a long time, but I also saw something recently about tourism there, and how it's built around them.  

Sorry middle guy, but I'm really glad you blew it on your DD.  Between the rocking and whatever he was doing to the buzzer, I could barely watch him.

The only TS I got (or was it a missed DD?) was Bastille Day.

I thought Alex sounded a little rough at the beginning. I hope he's doing okay! 

• Love 2

I said butterfly, but didn’t specify monarch.  What would the judges’ ruling be?

Honest to God, how did Barbara get picked?  So slow to answer and pick.  Michael made me seasick with his swaying.

36 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I said butterfly, but didn’t specify monarch.  What would the judges’ ruling be?

That's what I was wondering. I waffled between saying jsut butterfly or monarch butterfly because it was a guess, but wondered if they would need the type.  That's the problem with a question like that for final with no opportunity for a BMS.  In a regular round you could hedge your bets by answering jsut butterfly and guessing the breed (is the the right term for insects) when ask for more.

• Useful 1

I couldn't think why a year was specified and ended up with "cicadas" for FJ.  I couldn't quite remember when their cyclical appearance is, but they were the talk of the schoolyard, I remember that!

Anyone else get stuck on nose/eons rather than ear/era?

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I couldn't think why a year was specified and are up with "cicadas" for FJ.  I couldn't quite remember when their cyclical appearance is, but they were the talk of the schoolyard, I remember that!

Anyone else get stuck on nose/eons rather than ear/era?

Yep.

The board in general was pretty good to me, but I blew it with FJ. Of course once the answer was given, I smacked my head. DUH!

• Love 2

Another runaway game for Kevin.

I got the ts's or missed DD's of Bastille Day, rocking chair, Rhine, and Virgo.

Instaget FJ.  We live close to one of the gathering points of monarchs for their migration south.  I would think they would not have accepted just 'butterfly', but I could be wrong.

Even though I knew it was monarch butterfly, I still started singing La Cucuracha🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, Trey said:

Even though I knew it was monarch butterfly, I still started singing La Cucuracha🙂

My first thought went to the worm in a tequila bottle, but then I knew it wasn’t an insect and said Monarch Butterflies. 
I laughed when I saw you answer of the song you sang. You got an asterisk for FJ too! 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What was Rhine the answer to?  I thought the river that Frankfurt was on was the Main (pronounced "mine").

I think you are correct and I just misheard Rhine when it was really Main.  I knew there was a reason I had a question mark after Rhine on my list.

• Love 3

Did anyone else think Michael (middle guy Monday) looked like a younger Jeff Goldblum?  Just me?

I got Monarch butterfly at the last second.  Around thirty years ago, I was driving US 75 near Topeka, and saw what looked like a river of beautiful butterflies flying south.  Chills, so gorgeous.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Trey said:

I would think they would not have accepted just 'butterfly', but I could be wrong.

If butterfly would not be accepted, then bear would not be accepted for what animal is on California's flag.

A friend raises monarchs. They are endangered and victims of numerous parasites at the chrysalis stage. Here is a portrait of a monarch, they have quite fancy faces. Second photo is a monarch checking out one of her photos on her computer monitor. The monarch in the hatching series took two hours from beginning to emerge to first flight.

2028008736_monarchface.jpg.69f26ee6aae5c8e030d5e7ffc541bffe.jpg578143753_monarchcomputer.jpg.995785cdaea4156a9bc7823abbaf4989.jpgmonarchFirstFlight.jpg.6790736c0185aa4bda20425571385c1b.jpg

• Love 5

I got home just in time to turn on the TV so I didn't keep score tonight but I'm laughing at the final round since I was just asking about what happens in this scenario a couple weeks ago. Also I got it right. Too easy. 🙂 

Wasn't Tender Buttons/Gertrude Stein in another clue recently or am I thinking of something else?

• Love 2

I ran both the Women in Literature and Ante Pope categories, first time I've run a category since I started paying more attention to stuff like that. Only got Ponzu because my daughter and I ordered Poke Bowls the other day and that was a choice.

Did not get FJ, I was sure it was something I would kick myself for and sure enough it was. Didn't get a single Nascar answer.

Got the TSs of Maple, drought, As You Like It, Madeline, and passive-aggressive.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Made me sad that no one got the Outlander song connection.  FJ was an instaget for me.

That was the only one I didn't get, but I've never seen it. If I'd had more time to think, I might have made the Scottish connection.

38 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That was the only one I didn't get, but I've never seen it. If I'd had more time to think, I might have made the Scottish connection.

I’ve found Outlander to be interesting to watch.  The time travel aspect is kind of mind-boggling.

3 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thank you.  Did they do FJ with just the champ?

Yes, they did.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Driad said:

Thank you.  Did they do FJ with just the champ?

Yes. Andy Saunders at The Jeopardy! Fan says this is the first time since March 12, 2015 they've had 1 person in FJ.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I’ve found Outlander to be interesting to watch.  The time travel aspect is kind of mind-boggling.

The books are so much better. SO much better. Like, really so much better. For real.

I couldn't believe I got the TS of As You Like It because if I were on this show and a category was Shakespeare, I'd slam my money down on the counter, "I'M OUT." (tm Kramer)

If those players had started at the bottom of the NASCAR category, "Daytona" would have been in one of the clues and then probably would not have been a TS. Just sayin'. Something tells me most Jeopardy fans aren't NASCAR fans.

My copy of "It" is on the shelf with every other Stephen King book. Great book with an ending that totally sucked.

Crazy FJ category, Literary Pronouns. That has to be a first.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I watched the first three seasons of The Outlander, so I was not happy I missed that one. I need to begin watching it again, but they want me to pay after season 3. I did ok. I got Maple, Spruce, Richard Petty, passive-aggressive, ICU and Gertrude Stein. 
Re: The MLK “I Had a Dream” speech, I said copy..not draft. FJ was an instaget. My grandies love that movie. 

• Love 1

I was hoping Alex’s going for broke on the DD would at least make FJ competitive. I was shouting GERTRUDE STEIN at him but he didn’t hear.

For FJ I said “Them” instead of what was ridiculously obvious once revealed.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Made me sad that no one got the Outlander song connection.

If it had been an audio clue, they might have got it.  I knew it, not because I watch Outlander, but because of a commercial for something or other which played The Skye Boat Song. I  looked it up on Wikipedia and I was very surprised to learn that the lyrics they use for Outlander are the original lyrics and the lyrics about Bonnie Prince Charlie came later.

It's easy to see why only one contestant survived to play FJ.  There were so many ts's or missed DD's; I got bank, maple, spruce, Daytona 500, Outlander, copy, passive-aggressive, and ICU.

Almost instaget FJ.  I was amused that we had just had a discussion about only 1 player left for FJ  and then it happened.  Sort of the Jeopardy! curse in reverse.

I liked Natt and her haircut, wish she had done better.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
On 10/13/2020 at 9:41 AM, Trey said:

Another runaway game for Kevin.

I got the ts's or missed DD's of Bastille Day, rocking chair, Rhine, and Virgo.

Instaget FJ.  We live close to one of the gathering points of monarchs for their migration south.  I would think they would not have accepted just 'butterfly', but I could be wrong.

Just curious, Trey... do you live close to Pt Pelee? That's where I got my indoctrination into the lives of monarchs... I keep a literal bush of milkweed growing at the edge of my property, much to the disdain of some sorta-snooty neighbours (the same ones who still use pesticides and don't understand my "This is an A.R.K." portion of my property. For those of you who haven't heard of the Acts of Restorative Kindness, it is simply allowing the earth to "be").

• Love 4