Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Guernica was an instaget for me.  I have vivid memories of seeing it at MOMA during childhood visits to NYC and Father Grundoon explaining what it represented - he had considered joining the Abraham Lincoln Brigade as a young man so it had meaning for him.  Given the subject matter, it is hard to call it a favorite painting but it is certainly one that shaped my view of art. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I don't mind her talking fast. Was just a comment. I'd rather that happen and the boards be cleared.  And much prefer that to the slow people.  Alex staring at them, waiting, oh, I need to pick a category, uh,. Let's see, maybe, were...

PICK ONE!!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

An interesting game.  I didn't really notice Aimee's fast talking so much.

My ts's were bridge, Nile, Moscow and All My Children.

As soon as I saw the FJ category I pre-called Guernica.  It seems to be another favourite of the writers.

I wonder what color the Jeopardy! music is?  Alex should have asked middle woman that instead of what music is black.

I was really hoping he would ask her.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4

No J! here last night because the local station ran a debate between the candidates for my Congressional district. It's not the whole state's district, and they could've run it one their alternate station like the extra news hours they do instead of making everyone miss J!.

3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Guernica was an instaget for me.  I have vivid memories of seeing it at MOMA during childhood visits to NYC and Father Grundoon explaining what it represented - he had considered joining the Abraham Lincoln Brigade as a young man so it had meaning for him.  

So he was one of those "premature anti-fascists" -- later known as commies. 😕 The ones who were against fascism before Pearl Harbor.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Colin is a fast talker, too. Glad they cleared the boards, but between Colin and Aimee, I was afraid Alex might have to tap dance for the last 10 minutes of the show.

Shoot! Now I want to see Alex tap dance.

I got abut, bridge, the Nile, Moscow, and Hanna. I struggled for a bit trying to think of his first name, then abandoned that since it wouldn't be required.

I immediately said Spitfire then said to myself, "Wait, there's no car named a Spitfire." I forgot about the Triumph.

And DOH! Instead of All My Children, I said General Hospital. I knew that was wrong, but I just drew a blank for AMC, which I actually started watching from the first day it aired. (I stopped watching many many years ago.)

I got Guernica after a split second of thinking. I type my answers on my laptop. I realized I had typed Quernica but quickly changed it. 

I'm sorry we didn't hear about Lindsey's miniatures. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

So he was one of those "premature anti-fascists" -- later known as commies. 😕 The ones who were against fascism before Pearl Harbor.

He explained to me that he would have been labeled as such if he had gone and probably had a very different life if that had happened.  He did serve 4 years in the infantry in WWII (surviving the Battle of the Bulge among many more).  He took advantage of the GI bill as the only way he would ever have gotten to college and grad school- became a teacher and national union vice president who then became an administrator and negotiator for our local school district.  He would have probably said he became something more dangerous than a "commie" - a liberal able to see more than two sides of an issue and have heated but respectful debate with people of differing perspectives.  

Sorry for the rant but as you can tell, I am immensely proud to be Father Grundoon's daughter.

• Love 13

I got all of A Catholic Education and A Number Between 3 and 5, missed one of the Dame's, almost missed Elizabeth Taylor because in my mind she is British not American, maybe that's why it was a TS?

Got the TSs of Liz Taylor, Olivia de Haviland, Jesuits, Basilisk and the missed DD of Nixon in China

Did not get FJ

Totally blanked on FJ tonight.  Boo, hiss.  Good on middle guy for getting it and the win!  

I got Parthenon, Jesuit, basilisk, ubiquitous, and Argo.  I had no idea there was an opera called Nixon In China.

• Love 2

I was glad Alex asked Jamelle if what she did as a crime scene analyst was like what you see on tv. I knew the answer, but it was nice to see it acknowledged.

My husband (lawyer) answered FJ before Alex finished reading it. I didn't have a clue..

• Love 2

I got a laugh when Brian said butt dialed instead of pocket dialed. I also wondered why AT gave wall to Colin when he should have asked him to BMS and say Berlin Wall. I got Olivia de Haviland, Elizabeth Taylor, the DD of the Parthenon, and missed FJ. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

My husband (lawyer) answered FJ before Alex finished reading it. I didn't have a clue..

I got FJ, but only because my husband (also lawyer) and I were brainstorming 19th century supreme court cases during the break.  I think we could only come up with 3, and weren't totally sure about one of those.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I got FJ, but only because my husband (also lawyer) and I were brainstorming 19th century supreme court cases during the break.  I think we could only come up with 3, and weren't totally sure about one of those.

I got FJ, but only because it was the only thing I thought it could be.  It couldn't be Dred Scott that late.  It couldn't be Brown vs Board that early (plus that wouldn't have been a dissenting opinion).

I got the TS of Parthenon and basilisk.  I got the entire categories of 3 & 5 and helpful hints right and the entire category of SoCal wrong.  There were 5 other categories I only missed one. So, not too bad tonight.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got a laugh when Brian said butt dialed instead of pocket dialed. I also wondered why AT gave wall to Colin when he should have asked him to BMS and say Berlin Wall. I got Olivia de Haviland, Elizabeth Taylor, the DD of the Parthenon, and missed FJ. 

I was thinking that nobody says pocket dial, everybody says butt dial.

Ronald Reagan said "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down that wall."  And the question asked what President Reagan urged Mr. Gorbachev to tear down.  I'm sure he could have easily supplied a BMS, but he answered the question that was asked.

• Love 8

I don't use any substances other than alcohol, but I'd love to try something that would make me visualize the likes of "NO FRET STREWN QUAIL TELETHON."

An Oscar-winning AIDS activist just made me think of Elizabeth Taylor instantly.  She made such a massive difference.  I didn't know the quote, but I could hear it in her voice.  This is a great article about her work.  You haven't lived until you've seen a double bill starring her at San Francisco's Castro Theatre.  Last year they had "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Boom!" a very odd 1968 film with her and Richard Burton that influenced John Waters.  Maybe they'll do a clue on that next. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I don't use any substances other than alcohol, but I'd love to try something that would make me visualize the likes of "NO FRET STREWN QUAIL TELETHON."

lol...I actually got that one. And I wasn't on any substances, unless you count too many of those little Halloween-assortment packs of Skittles.

• LOL 2

Alex just never misses an opportunity to mention James, does he?

Grassroots was a surprising TS, as was ubiquitous, but this was a good game.

I don't think I've ever heard pocket dialed instead of butt dialed (but came up with it).  I've also never heard fall behind rather than fall back for the end of Daylight Saving Time.

I thought the Catholic category was going to sink me in the first round, but I knew/guessed all but Jesuit, my only miss that round.  I wasn't as good in DJ, but still had a good round, just missing a few hybrids and a couple of operas (including saying Nixon Goes to China instead of Nixon in China).  And FJ was an instaget (as a civil rights lawyer, I'd have to turn in my bar card if it hadn't been), so I had a very good game.

• Love 4

I enjoyed tonight's game.

I, too, laughed when Brian said butt-dialed. He knew it was wrong, but sometimes you've just got to say what's on everyone's mind. 

I got Elizabeth Taylor, Parthenon, Jesuits, The Seventh Seal (Bill & Ted's Bogus Adventure was a hilarious, yet understandable, answer), The Wild Bunch, Nixon in China, and Argo.

It was weird hearing Brian say "Fall behind, spring forward." It's like someone naming The Beatles by saying, "George, Ringo, John, and Paul."

For FJ I said Dred Scott. At least I wasn't alone.

I liked all the contestants, but I was glad that Brian won. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For FJ I said Dred Scott. At least I wasn't alone.

That was the first thing that came to mind, too, but I knew it was wrong.

Die Hard and Argo were the only movies I knew. (And I've never even seen Die Hard.)

• Love 1

Well glad I know plessy v ferguson now.  Even if I don't know All the answers it's good to learn these things

The justice that wrote the minority opinion was a former slave holder from Kentucky who changed his views after seeing the KKK rise to power.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

I had Opus Dei instead of the Jesuits. I was educated at a general parish school, then the Benedictines, then the Christian Brothers (the De La Salle ones). I remember there was some vague and unserious bad blood between my high school and the Jesuit ones, for no reason but to pass the time. I never really has a problem with them before, but after that neg, I do now! 😉

I forgot to say earlier how glad I was of a second game in a row with both boards cleared. Let’s keep it rolling!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
On 10/22/2020 at 4:30 PM, ams1001 said:

FJ was instaget. (I might credit the Nat Geo Genius season on Picasso but I probably would have known it anyway.)

I would have to credit it too. I knew the painting, and the painter, but it was only after the series that I really understood the context.

On 10/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, saber5055 said:

I guess this thread is divided between people who are irritated when the boards are not cleared by people speaking in an everyday voice and people who are irritated by fast talkers who clear the boards. Pick a side, folks.

I just want the boards cleared. I don't care how they do it.

On 10/23/2020 at 5:23 AM, Katy M said:

I  think they made it a rule with no consequences.  So, it's kind of just on the honor system, though of course, Alex could not draw attention to it.  I honestly don't see the big deal about them.  They don't affect the game at all since it's over. 

I never understood the big deal either. If you go on, give a shout out to us if you feel like it. 😉

17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And DOH! Instead of All My Children, I said General Hospital. I knew that was wrong, but I just drew a blank for AMC, which I actually started watching from the first day it aired. (I stopped watching many many years ago.)

I used to watch General Hospital, but stopped when I realized my then toddler was getting excited when she heard the theme song. So PBS children's shows were always on after that (pre cable and streaming).

15 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

He explained to me that he would have been labeled as such if he had gone and probably had a very different life if that had happened.  He did serve 4 years in the infantry in WWII (surviving the Battle of the Bulge among many more).  He took advantage of the GI bill as the only way he would ever have gotten to college and grad school- became a teacher and national union vice president who then became an administrator and negotiator for our local school district.  He would have probably said he became something more dangerous than a "commie" - a liberal able to see more than two sides of an issue and have heated but respectful debate with people of differing perspectives.  

Sorry for the rant but as you can tell, I am immensely proud to be Father Grundoon's daughter.

You have every right to be. Sounds like an awesome guy.

13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I've only ever heard butt dialed - but knew it wasn't right. I was getting to pocket dialed but didn't make it.

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

My husband was also brainstorming during the break (not a lawyer, but reads history as a hobby) - he even mentioned Plessy v Ferguson, but thought the date was too late. I could only come up with Dred Scott and knew that was wrong.

10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Die Hard and Argo were the only movies I knew. (And I've never even seen Die Hard.)

The only movies I'd actually seen were Die Hard and Argo (I knew the titles of the others, but came up with similar movies - and one play- instead). Though I struggled a bit with Argo, as Fargo wouldn't get out of my head.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The only movies I'd actually seen were Die Hard and Argo (I knew the titles of the others, but came up with similar movies - and one play- instead). Though I struggled a bit with Argo, as Fargo wouldn't get out of my head.

I've seen Argo, but it also helped that I recently saw Jonna Mendez (CIA "master of disguise") on something and she mentioned Argo because it's based on one of her husband's CIA operations.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

And of course, Alex had to point out that the returning champ had employed the James Holzhauer method in picking clues, but of course didn't earn close to the amount that James had.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

To Tell the Truth? She actually used disguises and played in both rounds with nobody catching on. 

I did see that episode (twice!) but I don't know if she mentioned her husband/Argo on there. I feel like I saw her in something else (whether it was recent or just a youtube video I came across, I don't remember).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I never understood the big deal either. If you go on, give a shout out to us if you feel like it. 😉

If I get on and the FJ category is people named Aloysius, my question will be Who is Primetimer?

• LOL 1

Because I keep my phone in my front pocket, I say pocket-dialed. My former boss used to pocket-dial me a lot and then, on the first day of my vacation, she called me wanting to know why I called her...I had pocket-dialled her. We both had a hearty laugh.  I have a different phone now that can't be pocket-dialled.

I didn't know how Guernica was pronounced, but since it was FJ, I wouldn't have had a problem.  I'm not sure how I knew the answer, but I was struggling to stay awake. I have no idea why I'm so sleepy lately.

Missed Plessy v. Ferguson. I probably should read up on that, instead of watching Star Trek: TNG reruns.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got a laugh when Brian said butt dialed instead of pocket dialed.

The clue asked for a clothing part and all my pants and shorts have butts in them so, technically (or not technically) he was correct.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

And of course, Alex had to point out that the returning champ had employed the James Holzhauer method in picking clues, but of course didn't earn close to the amount that James had.

I commented to myself on Thursday that he was trying too hard to be like James, but (as someone else answered most, if not all, of the $1000 clues he was picking) without James' chops to back it up.  Perfectly happy that he's gone.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, Gimmick Genius said:

Ah yes, William Tell -- my second-favorite opera. On my show the category was "Time for Opera" and I said "What is Wilhelm Tell?" and was ruled wrong because they wanted WILLIAM. Maybe I was cocky because I'd gotten away with Gotterdammerung for Twilight of the Gods (they reconsidered and gave me the money for "Wilhelm").

Dunno if I'd have the guts to do it on the show, but watching at home I got full of myself and answered "Der Fliegende Hollander" for the Wagner clue Friday.

• Love 1

I had to laugh that James-Wannabe Frenetic Colin kept trying for the $1000 clues in his first game and the correct questioner was calm and cool. Stole $3000 right out from under his nose. Can't remember her name though. I don't like that style of play and so I didn't watch his second game. Was surprised to read here that the guy who was in the hole by $2000 or so when I turned off the tv won! Good for you, Butt Dial!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The clue asked for a clothing part and all my pants and shorts have butts in them so, technically (or not technically) he was correct.

I see the error of my thinking (and probably my language usage as well lol) 😊

• LOL 2
On 10/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I also wondered why AT gave wall to Colin when he should have asked him to BMS and say Berlin Wall.

I think actually if he'd said "Berlin Wall" to begin with, he'd have been ruled incorrect because (as others noted), the clue was asking to finish the quote, and the word missing from the quote was "wall".

22 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I think actually if he'd said "Berlin Wall" to begin with, he'd have been ruled incorrect because (as others noted), the clue was asking to finish the quote, and the word missing from the quote was "wall".

I don't think it was asking to actually finish the quote. The wording of the question (according to the J Archive) was President Reagan urged, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down" this, & you can see part of it at the Reagan Library; Alex sort of paused before ruling him correct so I thought he actually was expecting "Berlin Wall" as a response but I think they would have had to accept it either way, since it can be interpreted as a 'finish the quote' thing.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Scott said:

Dunno if I'd have the guts to do it on the show, but watching at home I got full of myself and answered "Der Fliegende Hollander" for the Wagner clue Friday.

I always say Die Zauberflöte for The Magic Flute. Others may think I'm full of myself, but it's the name I learned first. I always have to translate it in my head if I want to use the English version.

• Love 5

I liked the shout out to the Henry Ford Museum for Lincoln's chair.  During a long ago visit to Ford's Theater, I sort of amused/annoyed the National Park ranger by specifically asking if the chair was there - he had pointed to the box and sorted of glided over if it was as it had been that night,  He answered truthfully and came up to me as the tour headed across the street to the house where Lincoln died - he wasn't surprised to learn that I was from Michigan and said those that asked usually were.

For any assassination buffs, the HF Museum is worth a visit since it also has the Kennedy car.  For history buffs, the Museum and Greenfield Village are worth a visit just because,

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I figured it would be either Dred Scott or Plessy V Ferguson, but I didn’t remember their differences so of course picked the wrong one. 

Me too. Time to do some studying.

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I figured it would be either Dred Scott or Plessy V Ferguson, but I didn’t remember their differences so of course picked the wrong one. 

Dred Scott was about slaves that escaped up north or were taken up north by owners.  Plessy v Ferguson is about segregation.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I figured it would be either Dred Scott or the correct answer.

• LOL 2
10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Based on the category, I assumed either Dred Scott or Marbury v. Madison.  When Alex read the clue, I muttered "separate but equal, separate but equal, what the heck was separate but equal", and then remembered PvF just in time.

• Love 1
On 10/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Clanstarling said:

I always say Die Zauberflöte for The Magic Flute. Others may think I'm full of myself, but it's the name I learned first. I always have to translate it in my head if I want to use the English version.

It's interesting which opera titles typically get translated and which don't.  I rarely see "Twilight of the Gods" rather than "Gotterdammerung," or "The Master Singers" rather than "Die Meistersinger."  I seem to see "Marriage of Figaro" a bit more often than "Le nozze di Figaro," although I do run into the latter on occasion.  I have never seen "Don Giovanni" given as "Don Juan"--or even "Sir John," if we really want to translate it into English. 😀  And "Cose fan tutte" is pretty much never translated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4