Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I didn't get to see much of the epi because of the news.  But, I got FJ wrong.  I said Orson Welles.  Because these are the types of things I don't know, but I don't like to not guess.

Damn, I knew FJ, but could not come up with his name!  There was a whole movie about him not too long ago, with Bryan Cranston -- I can even picture Cranston, as Trumbo, sitting in the tub, writing.  But his name completely escaped me.  Rats.

Good game, though!  The boards were cleared, and there weren't too many TS.  I only got Waitress, and that was a missed DD.  

So, apparently Alex thinks Dracula lived in Italy?

• Love 5

Eh, I got four correct in a few categories, Cooking and Food, Broadway Debuts, A Diamond and In the Rough Draft but didn't get any TSs.

The only answer I got in In the States was Idaho because my uncle lives in Coeur D'Alene.

FJ however was an Instaget, so at least there's that.

6 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

The only answer I got in In the States was Idaho because my uncle lives in Coeur D'Alene.

I got all the states except Ohio.

Shoulda got FJ but didn't. 😞

I was doing pretty well in the first round but I got home with 10 minutes to spare and groceries to bring in so I didn't get my computer booted up in time to keep score.

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

So, apparently Alex thinks Dracula lived in Italy?

For those of us who missed most of the show because of a news announcement, what was that about, please?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Driad said:

For those of us who missed most of the show because of a news announcement, what was that about, please?

The clue was, "Barilla says of this Italian phrase, 'The firm bite...allows you to taste the pasta better'", and Alex read the quote part in his Dracula accent.  I suppose he was trying for Italian, but missed.

• LOL 6

So most of the episode didn't air here. It got interrupted by the report. Didn't get to see any of double jeopardy or the second half of the first round.  Kind of frustrating, did anyone else have this?

The best part of this show was learning Cole wrote for The Onion. That's my favorite newspaper, I read it every day. I've always wanted to meet Onion writers because they have to be so smart and so funny at the same time. Plus they are all first-class writers.

My only comment is a nit pick. The clue "Exercise the Boston breed of this frequently; it's not only big dogs that need to be highly active" really was wrong. Yeah, it's a Boston Terrier, but it's not a TERRIER, a Boston is a non-sporting dog and a terrier in name only. It's no more a terrier than a Yorkshire Terrier, which is a toy breed. The Non-Sporting group is for dogs that don't fit any other category ... Sporting, Hound, Working, Herding, TERRIER. The Boston doesn't hunt or go to ground or do any terrier things. It also does not need much exercise, and is a good apartment dog. Why didn't they say "Exercise the Scottish breed of this frequently ..." because Scotties are indeed very real, tough TERRIERS, rough and tumble dogs.

/rant over/

Side note: I've shown Bostons and they are not my favs to handle since their neck is the same width as their heads and I keep thinking the lead is going to slip right off.

If I had watched that Bryan Cranston movie instead of skipping it (I love Cranston), I would have remembered FJ.

ETA: What news report? I watched local and national news and didn't see anything unusual.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: What news report? I watched local and national news and didn't see anything unusual.

Right after the first commercial break the show got interrupted the FBI talking about voter fraud and how other countries (Iran and Russia) are interfering with the election (I live in the US), which I already knew. Then as soon as the report ended it suddenly was the very end of Double Jeopardy. It skipped the whole time it would have been on and went to "live". I'm not sure if there is an earlier airing but I work so don't catch that. So it's on at 7:30 after Wheel of Fortunate. Yes, I now it's 2020 I'm sure it's on Hulu or something but still kind of annoying. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, blueray said:

So it's on at 7:30 after Wheel of Fortunate.

Here it's on at 7 (eastern) before WoF. I had WoF on mute but I didn't notice any news reports cutting in (though I wasn't really paying much attention, either).

13 minutes ago, blueray said:

Right after the first commercial break the show got interrupted the FBI talking about voter fraud and how other countries (Iran and Russia) are interfering with the election (I live in the US), which I already knew.

Thanks @blueray. Weird they cut into tv to announce that since I read it/heard it early this a.m. Like we didn't all know that anyway. It is irritating when Jeopardy gets preempted, it's one-half hour of escapism taken away from us, so I feel your pain.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I know it's 2020 I'm sure it's on Hulu or something. 

Not your main point, but unlike all the other new TV I watch, it is not available on any of those streaming platforms that I know of.  It's a bummer and I think it may be because it doesn't belong to any particular network, as a syndicated show?  I haven't had traditional TV service in a decade and can't justify the expense just for this show, but I would definitely subscribe to a "Sony game show streaming package" if it were available.  A few other options have been suggested to me, all of which came with asterisks.  I've finally gotten back to watching daily this season as I used to, and I admit I've been watching low-quality unsanctioned uploads, which sure feels scuzzy.  Here's hoping for a great streaming option in the future!

Edited by 853fisher
Syndicated, not streaming
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, blueray said:

... I'm sure it's on Hulu or something ... 

Oooo! Ooo! I didn't realize! ...

23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Not your main point, but unlike all the other new TV I watch, it is not available on any of those streaming platforms that I know of. 

Rats. Never mind. 😞

I didn't do that great tonight. All I got was the DD of Waitress. For FJ I guessed Kazan, though I wasn't sure he was blacklisted -- I think he actually cooperated with the Committee -- but I couldn't remember the name of the guy.

28 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Not your main point, but unlike all the other new TV I watch, it is not available on any of those streaming platforms that I know of.

I watch it on YouTubeTV, and if it's preempted I read the clues on the Jeopardy Archive.

19 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I watch it on YouTubeTV, and if it's preempted I read the clues on the Jeopardy Archive.

Thank you! I just won’t pay $65/mo to watch twenty-ish half hour episodes, but I hear from others who have it that they like it. J! Archive is always a fabulous backup.

I missed the last two episodes and didn't bother to check the archive, so it was nice to tune back in tonight.

The Declaration of Independence clue was Toddler Tournament level, and thus had no business in DJ!

Sterile was a surprising TS, as was option (the clue framed it in terms of sports, but it's just Contracts 101).  MIT and charlatan a bit, too.

I ran the first round, and only missed a scattered few in DJ, but I could not come up with FJ to save my life.  It was a real V8 head smack moment when Trumbo's name was revealed.

It took a bit to warm up to Aimee (speak slower!) but I was rooting for her after she blazed through the Broadway category and just made enough to overtake the lead in FJ. And that she was the only one to get FJ (which I knew instantly and thought was super easy) made me like her even more. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The best part of this show was learning Cole wrote for The Onion. That's my favorite newspaper, I read it every day. I've always wanted to meet Onion writers because they have to be so smart and so funny at the same time. Plus they are all first-class writers.

Yes I wanted to hear more about his job.  As soon as he said he wrote for a satirical newspaper I thought, "Oh my god he worked for the Onion!".  That's actually better than being on Jeopardy

The new champ talked REALLY FAST.  Kind of a strange game for her.  Did not do much most of the game and came on just strong enough at the end to overtake the leader in FJ. 

On a side note, how come some shows, like The Wheel I believe, they have to be very vague about mentioned any specific companies they work for but on Jeopardy it seems that is not the case?

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2

I pre guessed Dalton Trumbo  because he is the only screenwriter I know. There was no way to parse out the answer. You either knew it or you didn’t. Cannot stand the new champ’s speedy speaking so you will have to let me know when she loses .

• Love 1
On 10/21/2020 at 11:29 PM, Bastet said:

The Declaration of Independence clue was Toddler Tournament level, and thus had no business in DJ!

Agreed. That was my first thought after I heard it. 

I did a heavy blank on the States category and missed every one of them. (Blaming the 🍷) I did get the TS of Waitress, but nothing else, not even FJ.  I did like the new champ Aimee, fast talk and all. I see more cleared boards with her playing and I hate clues being left. 

Edited to add that I did get one correct in the states category. New Jersey. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Damn, I knew FJ, but could not come up with his name!  There was a whole movie about him not too long ago, with Bryan Cranston -- I can even picture Cranston, as Trumbo, sitting in the tub, writing.  But his name completely escaped me.  Rats.

I got Trumbo right away (partly because of the movie - but more because I've read a lot about that period in Hollywood), the mister was going "Bryan Cranston played him in that movie???" LOL.

I did really well in the States, which amazes me. I have no idea how I knew Passaic County was in New Jersey.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I did like the new champ Aimee, fast talk and all. 

I like her too. I thought the fast talk was mostly near the end when she was trying to get enough to prevent Cole from having a runaway game.

Not a great game for me.  No ts's and I just wasn't getting too many answers.

Did not get FJ even though I had a copy of Johnny Got His Gun sitting on my computer desk, just a few yards away.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I pre guessed Dalton Trumbo  because he is the only screenwriter I know. There was no way to parse out the answer. You either knew it or you didn’t.

I'm not sure about that.  I didn't know the specific fact that Trumbo wrote Spartacus.  But I got it anyway, because "blacklisted screenwriter" will pretty much always be Dalton Trumbo.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I did really well in the States, which amazes me. I have no idea how I knew Passaic County was in New Jersey.

I actually did well in the States, too, which also amazed me. I knew Passaic County because my husband was born in the city of Passaic, NJ.

54 minutes ago, Trey said:

I like her too. I thought the fast talk was mostly near the end when she was trying to get enough to prevent Cole from having a runaway game.

Her barreling thru at the end was pretty impressive.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

It was that bad the entire time.

I didn't notice it too much in the earlier part of the game.  In that case, I hope she tones it down some.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew it because Cpl Agarn on F Troop was from Passaic, New Jersey. One of those details that's mentioned enough times to stick in the mind years later (like, Klinger on MASH is from Toledo and Radar is from Ottumwa... Hmm, something about those Corporals...!)

• Love 7

Guy who blew "William Tell Overture" ... correct me if I am wrong, but he wrote "What    William Tell "       No verb, missed Overture, and no question mark. Learn how to write a question!

Past few episodes have had great clues for my high school junior who just read The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible, and who knows the musical Waitress.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Guy who blew "William Tell Overture" ... correct me if I am wrong, but he wrote "What    William Tell "       No verb, missed Overture, and no question mark. Learn how to write a question!

Past few episodes have had great clues for my high school junior who just read The Scarlet Letter and The Crucible, and who knows the musical Waitress.

Ah yes, William Tell -- my second-favorite opera. On my show the category was "Time for Opera" and I said "What is Wilhelm Tell?" and was ruled wrong because they wanted WILLIAM. Maybe I was cocky because I'd gotten away with Gotterdammerung for Twilight of the Gods (they reconsidered and gave me the money for "Wilhelm").

For the other, I'd have said "Waitresses" and been wrong.

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling
  • Love 6

So close in the Literary Characters (missed Confederacy of Dunces) and Explorers (missed ice shelf).

Got the TSs of bridge, Nile, and All My Children

FJ -- for the longest time I was totally blank, then from somewhere I started remembering the name of the work and was sounding it out, got as far as Guerni before the answer was revealed. It's again one of those things I didn't know was even in my brain. I don't even know what it looks like but I'm going to google it as soon as I hit the Reply button.

11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Cannot stand the new champ’s speedy speaking so you will have to let me know when she loses .

She lost tonight. (She did not talk any slower, either.)

I got 80% on the Jeopardy round! (Including all of Chain Stores and Things to Do on a Rainy Day; annoyed I blanked on Rip Van Winkle.) Not so much on DJ (63%).

I didn't get the titanium DD because he answered so fast I didn't have time to even finish processing the clue.

FJ was instaget. (I might credit the Nat Geo Genius season on Picasso but I probably would have known it anyway.)

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget.

I got the TS of abut, bridge, NIle, Moscow and All My Children (my sis's fave soap).

I got the entire categories of Lit characters, explorers and daytime TV right.

Oh no.  If fast talking is something that annoys people, that will be another thing against me if I get on this show.

• Love 3

I had to think about FJ tonight, but I had time to write it down before the music stopped.  I wonder what color the Jeopardy! music is?  Alex should have asked middle woman that instead of what music is black.

The TS that I remember getting were abut, dam, bridge, the Nile, Spitfire (love those Triumph cars!), germanium, All My Children, and Jack Hanna.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I wonder what color the Jeopardy! music is?  Alex should have asked middle woman that instead of what music is black.

Yes! I want to know, now.

A woman I used to work with has a daughter who has synesthesia; she sees colors/patterns with music. She is also apparently a rather good pianist.

• Love 2

That may be the easiest clue ever : band abbreviation ccr.   Seriously?  Since most people just call them ccr. 

Didn't realize bob barker came  back to host part of an episode of TPIR in 2015.  I thought they had the clue wrong but I guess not.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Seriously?  Since most people just call them ccr. 

But that means that maybe they don't know what it stands for?  I missed one in that category. I don't remember what I said for Rage Agains the Machine. I know I had the Rage and the Machine, but I said something else for the a.  Maybe Rage At the Machine.  I don't remember.  I obviously knew it, but I messed it up.

• Love 1

I guess this thread is divided between people who are irritated when the boards are not cleared by people speaking in an everyday voice and people who are irritated by fast talkers who clear the boards. Pick a side, folks.

I got a laugh out of the Royal Gorge bridge being a TS since I had to be carried off of it when I was there. Walked out to the center, looked down and was instantly overwhelmed by crippling vertigo. I'd still be there if my friend hadn't helped me escape.

I guess the no-private-messages-in-FJ rule they made for James doesn't apply to anyone else now.

I figured I had a good chance in FJ given my BFA and occupation and all. And I got the answer as soon as I heard German and Picasso. Being a right-brained person, the image came into my mind a bit before the left side of my brain released the name. At least I'm not goose egging the FJ contest this week. Yeay me.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess this thread is divided between people who are irritated when the boards are not cleared by people speaking in an everyday voice and people who are irritated by fast talkers who clear the boards. Pick a side, folks.

I'd rather fast talking than not clearing the board. I actually didn't notice it in her first game but tonight there were a couple times that I barely understood what she said (one of her responses sounded like she dropped a letter and I half expected Alex to rule her incorrect).

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

but tonight there were a couple times that I barely understood what she said (one of her responses sounded like she dropped a letter and I half expected Alex to rule her incorrect).

Yes! I noticed this too and thought for sure Alex was going to say 'sorry'

• Love 1

Put me down for preferring a fast talker to not clearing the boards, not that one should be required. I did check once to make sure I hadn’t increased the YouTube playback speed by mistake, as I do for some other videos.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I guess the no-private-messages-in-FJ rule they made for James doesn't apply to anyone else now.

I  think they made it a rule with no consequences.  So, it's kind of just on the honor system, though of course, Alex could not draw attention to it.  I honestly don't see the big deal about them.  They don't affect the game at all since it's over.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Put me down for preferring a fast talker to not clearing the boards, not that one should be required. I did check once to make sure I hadn’t increased the YouTube playback speed by mistake, as I do for some other videos.

I've been playing YT videos at 1.25 speed lately (same as the "faster" option for podcasts on my ipod)...but then I have random music videos mixed into my Watch Later list and forget to put the speed back to normal. Then if I hear the song again later it sounds so slow.

What bugs me the most is when they stare at the board for several seconds deliberating on which clue to pick next.

• Love 1