Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was shouting GERTRUDE STEIN at him but he didn’t hear.

Me too. You'd think with both of us yelling...

We live close to one of the gathering points of monarchs for their migration south

There are a lot of them in August/September along Lake Michigan. They're fabulous

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Just curious, Trey... do you live close to Pt Pelee?

Yes, about a twenty minute drive away.

We also keep some milkweed plants around for the monarchs.  I have never looked closely at them to see the eggs. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For FJ I said “Them” instead of what was ridiculously obvious once revealed.

My first thought was "Them!" (don't forget the !), but I knew "1987" publish date was waayy late (the movie came out around 1956). Next came "It". How many other "pronoun titles" (I assume it means the entire title is a pronoun) are there?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

My first thought was "Them!" (don't forget the !), but I knew "1987" publish date was waayy late (the movie came out around 1956). Next came "It". How many other "pronoun titles" (I assume it means the entire title is a pronoun) are there?

My first thought was 'She' by H. Rider Haggard but I knew that was wrong by date and by genre, then my brain just lost the plot completely and went blank.

• Love 1

If I'd been the champ, and was the only one left, I think I would have bet at least ten grand.  Just because I could.  Instaget FJ for me, and I don't even like horror books or movies -- and I really am not a fan of clowns.  

Middle guy really did look like Seth Rogan!  It was a little distracting.  Good on him for trying -- too bad it didn't work out.

Lots of TS last night!  I got As You Like It, bank, drought, Maple, Spruce, Daytona 500, Richard Petty (after initially thinking "Tom"), copy, Madeline, and ICU.  I dislike car racing, and didn't think I knew anything about it, but apparently I've learned some things by cultural osmosis.  I live in a NASCAR part of the country, after all.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

In addition to She mentioned already, there’s Us by David Nichols, Me (Katharine Hepburn’s autobiography), and You, by Caroline Kepnes. None of these fit the parameters of the clue, of course.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Has anyone done a stupider wager than Shouty Middle Guy betting it all with one clue left?  No, I didn’t think so.

But if he gotten it right, people would just call it gutsy.  We really do judge by results.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Made me sad that no one got the Outlander song connection.  FJ was an instaget for me.

I haven't watched the show since we cut the cord, but I loved that song. It is beautiful.

FJ was an instaget for me too. IT has quite a history in our family (to long to go into).

21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The books are so much better. SO much better. Like, really so much better. For real.

I couldn't believe I got the TS of As You Like It because if I were on this show and a category was Shakespeare, I'd slam my money down on the counter, "I'M OUT." (tm Kramer)

If those players had started at the bottom of the NASCAR category, "Daytona" would have been in one of the clues and then probably would not have been a TS. Just sayin'. Something tells me most Jeopardy fans aren't NASCAR fans.

My copy of "It" is on the shelf with every other Stephen King book. Great book with an ending that totally sucked.

Crazy FJ category, Literary Pronouns. That has to be a first.

I loved the Outlander books, but there was something about the show and cast that I really enjoyed. They weren't quite what I'd imagined, but they were all pretty great.

Oh yes, the ending to IT is definitely problematic. I didn't care for it much when IT came out, and like it even less now.

• Love 1

I did well with 80s/90s music (I better have! That was the music I grew up with!) and African American writers.

FJ was an instaget. Stan Lee was signing a book one of the years I went to Book Expo America. They had him all the way at the end and if you didn't have a ticket for that line you couldn't get anywhere near him. (I did get to see him from the far end of the line but we were just walking by the area, not really looking to see him. But it was fun, anyway.)

Yay for a five-day champion finally. I like Kevin.

• Love 5

Got the whole categories of Ok Boomerang (what an odd category to know five answers to!), and It's a Fact almost got there on Scientists, 4 A's  and Sweden (never would have thought, though I did pre-guess Nobel). Got the missed DDs of Earth Day and Maharaja. The TSs of Canada, England (thanks to Harry Potter and the endless camping trip in the Forest of Dean), the Dakotas and Orwell.

Did get FJ, was always happy to spot Stan Lee in a movie.

Edited by dgpolo
spelling
  • Love 3

Heh, I pre-guessed either Stan Lee or Alfred Hitchcock.  Of course I went with Lee when the answer was revealed.  So, a pre-instaget?  

I also got the Dakotas, Earth Day, Canada, England, the United States, and maharaja.  

Congrats to Kevin!  I can totally picture him as old Luke Skywalker, too.  Anyone else want to see the woman catch a hard-boiled egg? 

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Got the whole categories of Ok Boomerang (what an odd category to know five answers too!), and It's a Fact almost got there on Scientists, 4 A's  and Sweden (never would have thought, though I did pre-guess Nobel). Got the missed DDs of Earth Day and Maharaja. The TSs of Canada, England (thanks to Harry Potter and the endless camping trip in the Forest of Dean), the Dakotas and Orwell.

Did get FJ, was always happy to spot Stan Lee in a movie.

When they missed the Forest of Dean I said they didn't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Alex sounded like he had a sore throat. Good comeback by Elaine.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Has anyone done a stupider wager than Shouty Middle Guy betting it all with one clue left?  No, I didn’t think so.

2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

But if he gotten it right, people would just call it gutsy.  We really do judge by results.

Right, it was his only chance to keep the game from being another Kevin runaway.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GreekGeek said:

Right, it was his only chance to keep the game from being another Kevin runaway.

I always think they should hang on to a $1 so they can still stick around for FJ  even if it doesn’t work out.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

When they missed the Forest of Dean I said they didn't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Alex sounded like he had a sore throat. Good comeback by Elaine.

That was me too - except I was yelling at the TV, really not ONE of you has read Harry Potter? Or seen the movies?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On Wednesday, I went to bed at 6 AM. I slept straight through until the phone rang at 8:30 PM. Missed the show completely.  Damn. Is Kevin still the champ?

Yes, although it wasn't a runaway this time.

10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

When they missed the Forest of Dean I said they didn't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. 

I read it (back when it was new) and I remembered the Trio went on the Camping Trip from Hell but did not remember the name of the forest.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh, I pre-guessed either Stan Lee or Alfred Hitchcock.  Of course I went with Lee when the answer was revealed.  So, a pre-instaget?

Whereas I stuck on Hitchcock and couldn't get to Lee - even though I've seen him in all of the movies (more than I would have, but my kids dragged me to them, and most were pretty enjoyable)

12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

Got it from Harry Potter 🙂

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Did I hear that one clue correctly about aborigines and boomerangs?  Did they call it a "boomerang that doesn't return", or something like that?  Isn't that just a stick? 

From the wikipedia article on boomerangs:

Traditionally, most boomerangs used by Aboriginal groups in Australia were non-returning. These weapons, sometimes called "throwsticks" or "kylies", were used for hunting a variety of prey, from kangaroos to parrots; at a range of about 100 metres (330 ft), a 2-kg (4.4 lb) non-returning boomerang could inflict mortal injury to a large animal.

From what I gather, non-returning boomerangs still have the curved shape, but don't have the sloped surfaces that create an airfoil effect.  So rather than the curving path of a returning boomerang, they fly straight and very fast.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I was irked that Alex mispronounced Madeline.

"In an old house in Paris covered in vines lived 12 little girls in two straight lines." etc "The smallest one was Madeline". Doesn't work if you pronounce the last syllable "lynn".

Me, too! I corrected him (in a very Hermione Granger sort of tone) but he wasn't listening.

• LOL 5

I was really torn between cheering for Kevin or Elaine.  She made such a great comeback after a very slow start but I wanted Kevin to get his fifth win.  I guess I am more pleased that Kevin won.

Ts's or missed DD's were the Dakotas, Earth Day, Canada, England (Epping Forest gave it to me), and amalgamate.

No idea for FJ.  The only non-actor who appeared in movies that came to mind was Alfred Hitchcock and I knew it wasn't him.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

On Wednesday, I went to bed at 6 AM. I slept straight through until the phone rang at 8:30 PM. Missed the show completely.  Damn. Is Kevin still the champ?

Lucky you for being able to sleep w/o dogs waking you up every few hours so they can go outside.

As for Kevin, Trebek made several announcements, before and after the play, that Kevin would qualify for ToC if he won that day, which he did. That's never been done before, saying who would be in the ToC.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

As for Kevin, Trebek made several announcements, before and after the play, that Kevin would qualify for ToC if he won that day, which he did. That's never been done before, saying who would be in the ToC.

I didn't realize that all five-day winners qualified (since they got rid of the five-day limit, at least).

• Love 1
16 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

When they missed the Forest of Dean I said they didn't read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I've read all the books and have seen all the movies and I missed it. Not sure what that says about me. If it were the Forest of Hagrid, I would have guessed England.

As for FJ not being an actor, what qualifies someone as an actor? Does it have to be one's first and main occupation? Stan Lee has 127, yes, 127 acting credits on his IMDB page. I think calling him "not an actor" was one more poor FJ writing choice.

ETA: My post of "Excelsior!" will be understood by any Marvel fan. I had a huge crush on Daredevil back in the day. Was disappointed he did not transfer well to film. But in the comics? Hottie!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've read all the books and have seen all the movies and I missed it. Not sure what that says about me. If it were the Forest of Hagrid, I would have guessed England.

I have, too, but I wouldn't recall the forest name. I belong to a book-related facebook group and there are a lot of Potterheads in there. Often things come up and I wonder how they remember all these little details. I enjoyed the books and movies but I will never remember everything, especially years later.

Also, I don't recall the clue from last night, so that probably says something about my powers of memory. (Though admittedly I was distracted during last night's game, as I often am.)

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Also, I don't recall the clue from last night, so that probably says something about my powers of memory.

Here, let me help you out: "Not an actor, this man who died in 2018 appeared briefly in some 40 mainly action films with a combined $30 billion worldwide gross."

ETA: My question about what constitutes an actor makes me ask, is Arnold Schwarzenegger an actor? He's appeared in a few more than 30 films while Stan Lee has been in 127 according to IMDB, or "some 40" according to Jeopardy.

Edited by saber5055
36 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: My post of "Excelsior!" will be understood by any Marvel fan. I had a huge crush on Daredevil back in the day. Was disappointed he did not transfer well to film. But in the comics? Hottie!

38B2BD3B-9316-4E12-8B9D-CB380379ED9E.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I knew you would be a True Believer, @opus. Sad to see my boyfriend Daredevil did not make the cover of that book. Some years ago I had a Marvel superhero litter, all finished their AKC championships: Spiderman, Catwoman, Silver Surfer and my Daredevil. I currently have grandpups of Daredevil, although they are getting older too. RIP Stan Lee.

Edited by saber5055
Thank you Opus for being "that guy."
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I knew you would be a True Believer, @opus. Sad to see my boyfriend Daredevil did not make the cover of that book. Some years ago i had a Marvel litter, all finished their AKC championships: Spiderman, Catwoman, Silver Surfer and my Daredevil. I currently have grandpups of Daredevil, although they are getting older too. RIP Stan Lee.

Hate to be "that guy", but must point out Catwoman is DC

58 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Here, let me help you out: "Not an actor, this man who died in 2018 appeared briefly in some 40 mainly action films with a combined $30 billion worldwide gross."

Oh, I meant the Forest of Dean people have been talking about I didn't recall.

(I got Stan Lee due to Big Bang Theory and having nerdy friends.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

TA: My question about what constitutes an actor makes me ask, is Arnold Schwarzenegger an actor? He's appeared in a few more than 30 films while Stan Lee has been in 127 according to IMDB, or "some 40" according to Jeopardy.

You're counting all his "acting" credits which included TV shows, voice overs, shorts, and video games.  Probably an actor is someone who considers that their primary profession, or someone who is a member of the actor's guild.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Stan Lee has been in 127 according to IMDB, or "some 40" according to Jeopardy.

I think you are misreading the clue. It's not "he appeared in some 40 movies." It's "he appeared in some 40 high-grossing movies" (the "some 40" movies have a combined total of $30 billion gross). It's not saying he only had "some 40" credits. Furthermore, some of his appearances are just reaction shots/10 seconds screen time, etc. Hardly "acting". So, yeah. I would say he is "not an actor" (much like Hitchcock is "not an actor"), no matter how many screen credits he has.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have, too, but I wouldn't recall the forest name. I belong to a book-related facebook group and there are a lot of Potterheads in there. Often things come up and I wonder how they remember all these little details. I enjoyed the books and movies but I will never remember everything, especially years later.

My youngest had a mind like a steel trap when it came to Potter. We had a Potter trivia game, and she beat us all, every time we played. She was in grade school.

I only remembered Forest of Dean because it seemed like such a funny name for a forest. You know - like say, Forest of Bob or Tom.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I had to DVR this at my neighbors due to the Gubernatorial Debate last night. It came on at 3:30am so I just went next door to watch. I loved the boomerang category and got them all. I also got oversight, the Dakotas (thanks Deadwood), Maharajah and the FJ of Stan Lee. 
@saber5055 I love that you gave your litter Marvelous names. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Probably an actor is someone who considers that their primary profession, or someone who is a member of the actor's guild.

A former Chicago radio talk-show host has been in four episodes of Chicago Fire, plus three other tv shows. She's also a writer, stand-up comedian and is running for political office. She is a member of the Screen Actor's Guild (SAG). What is her profession?

Another Chicago man I know was in Grumpy Old Men, Little Big League, Drop Dead Fred, Untamed Heart and Crossing the Bridge. He's a member of SAG. Is he an actor?

I agree with these posts from TJF: "I thought the “Not an actor” to be poorly phrased and misleading. He was an actor and did act in many of his appearances. I took that to mean file footage or something along those lines so was looking for an historical or political person. I think it would have been better phrased as ‘Not primarily known as an actor’ or something like that. Saying ‘Not an actor’ to mean he didn’t appear in a part or acting role. I wonder if anyone misses it could rightfully challenge the question?" and "I got it right away, but agree the wording was not great. 126 IMDB acting credits is a lot of acting credits for someone who is not an actor."

As for Hitchcock, sure, he has acting credits for 39 of his films, but not one speaking part, which Stan Lee had, nor did he do voice-over work, which Stan Lee did. Plus Lee was in several television shows and also did VO work. Was it an oversight he was left out of the SAG In Memoriam tribute?

'Nuf said.

• Love 1

I had no idea for FJ.  I said narcissist for lack of a better answer.

I got the TS of bodice, Scotland, sikhism, , entente and the Bronx which was a total guess.

I had a few categories I only missed one but no clean sweeps.

• Love 1

I had no idea what they were going for in FJ tonight.  I said, "Adventure seeking", which, I suppose, is related to "risk taker".  Never in a million years would I have been able to figure out that they wanted Type A.  

But I did get wood, Lost In Space, bodice, escape from jail, and The Glass Menagerie.  

Former champ made a smart wager.  As did the new champ.

• Love 3

I did get FJ, not sure how, maybe because the guy was a physician and had a nickname like Cannonball? IDK, something made me write down Type A Personality so yay! and an * for me.

Got the TSs of bodice, Pretty Boy Floyd, Scotland, Glass Menagerie, escape from jail and the Bronx (also a total guess for me Katy M).

I got all the staircases, this must be my week for getting weird categories, and almost all of the Pence and Animals (missed gin and wood)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Referring to the FJ answer (or 'question', if you will), what on earth does "Type A" have to do with a cannonball? Alex seemed to imply one had somthing to do with the other. I don't get it.

I've decided that 'clue' is best rather than trying to decide whether to call it an answer or a question. I'm not sure what about Cannonball spoke to my brain about Type A, maybe a picture of someone rushing through life mowing down all before them or a 'force to be reckoned with' or something. I know it wasn't anything conscious in my mind, more of a -feeling- than anything.