Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

On Tuesday's show, I think Mexico was referred to as "this Central American" country. I always think of Mexico as part of North America.

It is.  And technically Central America isn't its own continent.  It's a subsection, I guess, of North America.

• Love 2

For Geoffrey Rush, I just totally blanked on his name but said, "The King's Speech - the guy from Melbourne."  I would have been marked wrong, I'm sure.

I saw a piece on Rush on CBS Sunday Morning and the American woman who interviewed him also pronounced the city as "Melbun" as if she had an Aussie accent. I thought that was pretty rude of her, like she was mocking his pronunciation.

7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For Geoffrey Rush, I just totally blanked on his name but said, "The King's Speech - the guy from Melbourne."  I would have been marked wrong, I'm sure.

I saw a piece on Rush on CBS Sunday Morning and the American woman who interviewed him also pronounced the city as "Melbun" as if she had an Aussie accent. I thought that was pretty rude of her, like she was mocking his pronunciation.

Or, arguably, she was attempting to be respectful by using what was the "correct" pronunciation of the city - in its own country.

• Love 7

I got FJ right.

I got the TS of emancipating, MS, countermand, gneeral, mad, Crocs, Vermont (how dare they miss that), and drafting.

I got the entire categories of military and man right and the entire category of primates wrong (yes that was pathetic).  I knew chimp but for some reason said baboon instead. And I said ocular instead of vision, I don't know if that would have been right or not.

Instaget FJ for me tonight -- I shouted it out before Alex even finished reading the clue.  Good start to the week!

It made me a little sad that there were so many TS in the Poe"M" category!  I love Poe.  I ran that category.  

So, TS I got include Murders and Morgue, MS, X, Mad, Maelstrom, emancipate, countermand, visual, and Cro Magnon.  

I used to watch Zoom! on PBS all the time back in the day.  Boston, Mass, 0-2-1-3-4!  

Edited by Browncoat
It helps comprehension when all the words are in the sentence
  • Love 2

I got all of Zoom, Novel, and Poe"M" (just listened to the Masque of the Red Death recently, on the Memory Palace podcast), and Final Jeopardy. But overall I only got 64% correct (77% for J but only 50% for DJ). Meh.

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got the TS of emancipating, MS, countermand, gneeral, mad, Crocs, Vermont (how dare they miss that), and drafting.

I got emancipating, MS, countermand, mad, and Crocs. I probably would have gotten general but I was being slow. (Also Murders & Morgue and maelstrom.)

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And I said ocular instead of vision, I don't know if that would have been right or not.

I said occipital (which is the lobe that contains the visual cortex, so I was close).

22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I used to watch Zoom! on PBS all the time back in the day.  Boston, Mass, 0-2-1-3-4!  

I don't remember Zoom (I turned 3 in late 1978), but I did get it right!

20 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got all of Zoom, Novel, and Poe"M" (just listened to the Masque of the Red Death recently, on the Memory Palace podcast), and Final Jeopardy. But overall I only got 64% correct (77% for J but only 50% for DJ). Meh.

24 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got emancipating, MS, countermand, mad, and Crocs. I probably would have gotten general but I was being slow. (Also Murders & Morgue and maelstrom.)

If you got all of Poe 'M' (as I did) then you got the TSs of Murders/Morgue, MS, mad and Maelstrom. I also got the TSs of Vermont (wild guess) and countermand, I just could not get my brain to work in that category.

Whoops, didn't see your addition to the TSs in time 🙂

FJ was an Instaget, I think they gave a little too much info in the clue

Edited by dgpolo
correction

The "trendy shoe" clue came up and I thought, GREAT, now I have to read all those posts about people and their freaking high-fallutin' expensive shoes and I'm sitting here wearing a pair of old Crocs, the shoes everyone makes fun of and only stupid losers wear. So yeah, color me surprised when Crocs was the (TS) answer. They are trendy NOW, what with the KFC Chicken Wing Crocs and the Post Malone, Bad Bunny and Bieber Crocs. But this episode couldn't have been filmed before then. (Well, maybe.) To set the record straight, Crocs have been my shoe of choice for more than 20 years, so I've held strong through all the name calling and shaming for wearing them. I even have a "good" camo pair for trips to the big city.

Tip: You can repair holes worn through the bottom of Crocs with a bicycle-tire-patch kit.

Got a laugh out of "First Lady Truman" being a correct response right after the detailed "Mary Todd Lincoln."

I got FJ so will have at least one for this week, after my Goose Egg last week. Yeay me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

FJ was an Instaget, I think they gave a little too much info in the clue

Nope for me. I think they could have spotted me several letters, Wheel of Fortune style, and my brain still couldn’t get there. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Got a laugh out of "First Lady Truman" being a correct response right after the detailed "Mary Todd Lincoln."

I know Truman and Eisenhower are from Kansas and Missouri, but I always mix up which is which.  I do know their wives' first names, though.

• Love 1

I got Maelstrom, Halle Berry, and X, which I learned of when watching Carnivale and reading that one of the actors, John Doe, was in the band.

I got  "Open sesame" but only after first thinking "Abra cadabra." No idea why. I then pictured Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny at the cave of treasures, so then "Open sesame" came right to me. "Hasan chop!"

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I got  "Open sesame" but only after first thinking "Abra cadabra."

So did I! Good thing I remembered the seed part.

36 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I learned of when watching Carnivale

Thanks for reminding me I have that DVD set and I haven't watched it yet. It's time now!

• Love 1

Have the boards been cleared in any show completely? I thought there were a lot left over after DJ. At least one player wasn’t from CA, so many more are willing to travel to play. I got X, Vermont, Cleveland and the FJ. Like others my first thought was Abra Cadabra, but came up with Open Sesame in time to write it down. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Maelstrom, Halle Berry, and X, which I learned of when watching Carnivale and reading that one of the actors, John Doe, was in the band.

I got  "Open sesame" but only after first thinking "Abra cadabra." No idea why. I then pictured Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny at the cave of treasures, so then "Open sesame" came right to me. "Hasan chop!"

I couldn't decide between the two but knew it was one of them. 

Bugs Bunny usually won't steer you wrong.  Except when he takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I know Truman and Eisenhower are from Kansas and Missouri, but I always mix up which is which.  I do know their wives' first names, though.

Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower. 

Edited to add :  sorry I thought you said you don't know the wives first names. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It made me a little sad that there were so many TS in the Poe"M" category!  I love Poe.  I ran that category.

I read all of Poe (lit major), but on the Starling sofa, the computer engineer who hadn't ran the category just by guessing, and I came up with blanks. Argghhh

11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I have a book of Truman's letters to Bess, starting when they were in their early twenties. Truman pursued her for years and years. She took her time coming around.

I started with "alla kazam" but finally the neurons fired and I got to Open Sesame in time.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

At least one player wasn’t from CA, so many more are willing to travel to play.

Not necessarily. She's described as being originally from...

Nancy Bosecker, a software engineer originally from Peoria, Illinois

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

least one player wasn’t from CA, so many more are willing to travel to play.

I don't think it's about who is willing to travel.  I think they don't want travelers in order to protect Alex. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

At least one player wasn’t from CA, so many more are willing to travel to play.

The show is fooling people into thinking this. Notice it is always said a player is ORIGINALLY from somewhere else. "Nancy Bosecker is a software engineer ORIGINALLY from Peoria, Illinois." Translation: She lives in California now, as do all the contestants ORIGINALLY from another state. Truth is, Nancy lives in San Diego.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Bugs Bunny usually won't steer you wrong.  Except when he takes a wrong turn at Albuquerque

Saturday morning cartoons were the best, and yes, that's how I knew "Open sesame." Bugs et. al. also introduced us kids to opera and some of the great classics of literature. Today's kids just don't "get it."

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

:D. Y'know, I think that toon was the first time I'd heard of Albuquerque. Those great cartoons introduced me to so many things in so many different fields. Kids today really are missing out.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The show is fooling people into thinking this. Notice it is always said a player is ORIGINALLY from somewhere else. "Nancy Bosecker is a software engineer ORIGINALLY from Peoria, Illinois." Translation: She lives in California now, as do all the contestants ORIGINALLY from another state. Truth is, Nancy lives in San Diego.

They did that with the 5 day champ (whose name I have already forgotten), too. He was from New Jersey, "originally."

9 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

My brother took a trip last year and mentioned being in Albuquerque at one point. Of course I had to ask if he made a left turn. (He was not as amused as I was, I don't think.)

• LOL 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Saturday morning cartoons were the best, and yes, that's how I knew "Open sesame." Bugs et. al. also introduced us kids to opera and some of the great classics of literature. Today's kids just don't "get it."

Have you ever seen bugs bunny on broadway?  Great show seeing a full orchestra play to all the classic bugs cartoons.  My kids liked it too

• Love 2

I groaned when I saw the category for FJ, thinking I didn't have a chance.  Happily, it was an instaget for me!  No idea how I knew it, though.

"Ring of Fire" for a Preparation H commercial made me laugh.  Thank goodness Roseanne Cash said no!  I got that TS along with barrel, "Baby You Can Drive My Car", sepulchre, Hester Prynne, bank, the age of the Earth, atomic weight, and Mesa Verde.

For a few minutes, I was concerned that we wouldn't have anyone playing in FJ.  Good comeback by middle guy.  But I do wish they'd clear the boards!  

• Love 2

Not a good day today. Didn't do better than 3 right answers in any category.

Got the TSs of barrel, the age of the Earth and Columbian. Got the unanswered DDs of Atomic Weight, and Hester Prynne.

Whenever they have a category of X letters or X syllables, I always get mixed up and try for the other.

Forgot to mention FJ, did not get it though I did have Overture in my answer. I said The 1812 Overture.

Edited by dgpolo
to add
  • LOL 1
33 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Not a good day today. Didn't do better than 3 right answers in any category.

Got the TSs of barrel, the age of the Earth and Columbian. Got the unanswered DDs of Atomic Weight, and Hester Prynne.

Whenever they have a category of X letters or X syllables, I always get mixed up and try for the other.

Forgot to mention FJ, did not get it though I did have Overture in my answer. I said The 1812 Overture.

That's what I said too for FJ mostly because it's all I could think of and I suck at the category. 

I said 1812 Overture, but then I concentrated on Swiss and said William Tell Overture.  

I got the TS of barrel (really a TS for that), Tom Joad, Hester Prynne, national ban, atomic weight, Columbian and Larry Sanders show.

I got the entire category of "art right an the entire pianists, painter category wrong.

BTW, the way I say conference, it's more like 2 syllables.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Got the unanswered DDs of Atomic Weight, and Hester Prynne.

I got them both, too. Atomic Weight came out of my brain with a very large question mark at the end but I was right!

I got all the literature category except Robinson Crusoe.

I wasn't keeping score tonight which is probably good because I suspect I would have been disappointed with myself.

• Love 1

It wouldn’t have probably made a difference but I don’t think the champ should have gotten credit for the  “take my wife” and the Willie answers since he should have said “take my wife please” and “Groundskeeper Willie”.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They did that with the 5 day champ (whose name I have already forgotten), too. He was from New Jersey, "originally."

The funny part to that is today they said Maddie Kahan is originally from Agoura Hills, California. However, now she lives in San Francisco. The show is playing with us.

I got six TSs. Bachelor watchers should have easily gotten Mesa Verde.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't think it's about who is willing to travel.  I think they don't want travelers in order to protect Alex. 

Alex is as likely to be infected by a local cameraman than by someone traveling from further afield.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

It wouldn’t have probably made a difference but I don’t think the champ should have gotten credit for the  “take my wife” and the Willie answers since he should have said “take my wife please” and “Groundskeeper Willie”.  

I guess the logic was that he did say "wife", which was the relevant part; and Groundskeeper is Willie's title and not part of his name. 

If someone had said "Drive My Car" instead of "Baby You Can Drive My Car," would they have gotten credit? I could have sworn that the song was listed on the album simply as "Drive My Car."

4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

If someone had said "Drive My Car" instead of "Baby You Can Drive My Car," would they have gotten credit? I could have sworn that the song was listed on the album simply as "Drive My Car."

You are correct - the name of the song is "Drive My Car". "Baby, you can drive my car" is in the lyrics.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Bachelor watchers should have easily gotten Mesa Verde.

Mesa Verde makes me think of Better Call Saul.

I'll blame the wine. There were several times when I just couldn't pull the answer from my brain.

I did get barrel, Baby You Can Drive My Car, Tom Joad, and The Larry Sanders Show.

Maybe next time I'll remember that William Tell was Swiss.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't keeping score tonight which is probably good because I suspect I would have been disappointed with myself.

Probably not as disappointed as the competitors.  That was another pretty pathetic round.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

They should have. According to my copy of Rubber Soul, it is "Drive My Car". I can't believe they didn't get it.

Edited by theatremouse

I missed single jeopardy. Pat Sajak put me to sleep no matter how hard I was trying to stay awake. Woke up in time for DJ, almost fell asleep again, but Bosco came when he heard me talking to the TV and as he likes to drape himself over my chest, tucking himself under my chin, I stayed awake. It's impossible to fall asleep with a 16 pound cat compressing your lungs.

I got Mesa Verde because it was the National Park featured in the first Nevada Barr/Anna Pigeon mystery I read. I pre-guessed Dvorak's New World Symphony. Knew it wouldn't be Copland, cause we just had him. It was an insta-get for me, though. It's got a lovely cello solo in it, but most people only know the "Lone Ranger" segment of the overture. What's really odd about that is the melody is never repeated in the entire opera. Usually overtures are small previews of the music to come, but the "Lone Range" part never shows up again.

• Love 1

I’m curious about “roll out the barrel.” Alex acted surprised that no one knew it. I just think of it as the first line of the chorus in the “Beer Barrel Polka,” which was done by the Andrews Sisters and Liberace and many others but hasn’t been in the mainstream for decades that I know of. I regard it as a gimme for someone like me who enjoys Lawrence Welk less than 10% ironically, but probably a mystery for anyone else, especially the 30-something Alex warned not to overthink it. Am I missing something?

• Love 7
18 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I still pronounce "Coachella" (4 syllables) a la Bugs. Which I understand now is incorrect. 

Same here. I was definitely an adult before I realized me and Bugs at Co-a-chella were at the same place as everybody watching those music festivals.

I'm a 30-something who knew "Roll Out the Barrel," but I wouldn't have automatically expected it of anyone else of any age. Maybe Alex saw someone slapping their forehead or something once he gave the answer.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Thank you, thank you, Rosanne Cash.

Oh god yes. I got it immediately, because my mind is twisted (Prep H, burning ring of fire - nailed it!). Once we stopped laughing, we agreed that Rosanne made the right, and only, choice.

Mesa Verde makes me think of Better Call Saul.

I knew my brain was making a connection to something once they said it, and it wasn't Colorado. (even though I lived there - but to be fair, I was very young).

5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I regard it as a gimme for someone like me who enjoys Lawrence Welk less than 10% ironically, but probably a mystery for anyone else, especially the 30-something Alex warned not to overthink it. Am I missing something?

I hated Lawrence Welk (parents watched it when I was a small child), but I do have a polka heritage in a different way, so it was a no brainer for me.

FJ was pretty easy for me even though I'm crap at classical music. "Swiss" got me to William Tell, and Lone Ranger trivia got me to William Tell Overture. I was psyched when I realized it would be an asterisk for me this week!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

No Jeopardy for me last night (gubernatorial debate was on instead), but it sounds like I missed a somewhat lackluster game.  I did get Final Jeopardy right when I looked at in on The Jeopardy Fan, so there's that.

• Love 5

Interesting game last night, the way Carlos just steamrolled over the other two contestants. He must have thought he knew a lot about classical music (and he did have the right opera) to bet so much.

Once again there were lots of ts's.  I got barrel, Ring of Fire, Tom Joad, atomic weight, and Columbian.

I did not get FJ.  I had been listening to the prelude to Carmen earlier in the day and so had "prelude" in my head.  If "overture" had come to me I would have got it. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2