Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got FJ only after Alex reminded us that the Pritzker Prize is for architecture.

Didn't keep score but I think the only category I ran was the German words. (Bildungsroman was even an instaget!)

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was going to mention that connection (To quote First Time Caller: "Eh, Mr. Obvious, I didn't get the connection.") today, then Trebek ruined for me. So I won't.

That Cuts Like A Knife.

Side note to @opus: Valerie is a blond now. See cover of current US magazine.

I had been hoping it would come up before he lost, so I’m glad they got to it today.

Side sidenote - - Yes, she’s been blond for a while. She says she’s gone gray and it’s easier to dye blonde then it’s natural color.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaget.  

I got the TS of surcoat, Thomas Mann, bildungsroman, Nero and Innocence Project.

I got the entire categories of weeds (weird category to run), lit on the map and NY Times headlines.

I had a pretty good night. DJ was better than the first round.

And, btw, I passed the "in-person" test.

• Love 11
22 hours ago, secnarf said:

I spent a very long time wondering this as well. I don't understand how they can say that.

I think they made a terrible decision. When it happened and Christa was allowed to go first in the Double Jeopardy! round I thought that they'd automatically have to invite the guy back at some point even if he lost the game. I still think they should do that. There's no way in heck they can say preventing him from going first had no impact on the rest of the game. No way.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I think they made a terrible decision. When it happened and Christa was allowed to go first in the Double Jeopardy! round I thought that they'd automatically have to invite the guy back at some point even if he lost the game. I still think they should do that. There's no way in heck they can say preventing him from going first had no impact on the rest of the game. No way.

I think they can since the DD was not hit before he was allowed to choose AND that he lost control of the board immediately when he was able to choose.  He obviously would have chosen either one of the clues that was already chosen or the one that he did end up choosing as his first choice.  Since he missed every single one of those questions, and since the game ended as a runaway (and he was in a fairly distant third), there is no reason to think that picking a clue 5 clues earlier would have gotten him the much larger amount of money that he would have needed to be a contender.  Maybe the could bump him up to the $2,000 prize money for second place.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:44 PM, Cotypubby said:

FJ tonight was like a $200 clue. I thought it was so instantly obvious. 

My turn to say this. Although I never would, so forget I quoted that. I was just waiting for a FJ that I instantly knew. It helps I live in Illinois and for some reason I know who I.M. Pei is. Put 'em together and voilá, it's a FJ Miracle.

Sorry to see Brian/not Bryan go. He was a good player.

• Love 3

I know some of I. M. Pei's buildings but didn't know what the Pritzker Prize is. I said Yo-Yo Ma, who explored his Chinese ancestry on "Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr."

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think they can since the DD was not hit before he was allowed to choose AND that he lost control of the board immediately when he was able to choose.  He obviously would have chosen either one of the clues that was already chosen or the one that he did end up choosing as his first choice.  Since he missed every single one of those questions, and since the game ended as a runaway (and he was in a fairly distant third), there is no reason to think that picking a clue 5 clues earlier would have gotten him the much larger amount of money that he would have needed to be a contender.  Maybe the could bump him up to the $2,000 prize money for second place.

This logic or whatever the logic chopped in order to say nothing was affected, there's still no way the judges could possibly have known what was affected. All they really did is go by what they thought most likely, and what was most convenient for gameplay. It's their game at the end of the day, so sure, they can do that. Most people seem to think it was the right call. I think it was unfair, particularly of the show to frame it like nothing Casey might've done would've mattered, when, again, who knows either way. Deigning to change his prize level would just be admitting in a small way that they screwed up in a material way, so I wouldn't expect the show to do that or to invite Casey back. But if I were him, I know how I'd feel and what I'd want.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

This logic or whatever the logic chopped in order to say nothing was affected, there's still no way the judges could possibly have known what was affected. All they really did is go by what they thought most likely, and what was most convenient for gameplay. It's their game at the end of the day, so sure, they can do that. Most people seem to think it was the right call. I think it was unfair, particularly of the show to frame it like nothing Casey might've done would've mattered, when, again, who knows either way. Deigning to change his prize level would just be admitting in a small way that they screwed up in a material way, so I wouldn't expect the show to do that or to invite Casey back. But if I were him, I know how I'd feel and what I'd want.

I just wish that those who felt that it would have affected the game could explain to me how.  Because I honestly can't see it.  If someone had hit a daily double before he were allowed to choose a clue, than absolutely.  Maybe even if he had managed to claim control of the board once he had it.  But, to immediately lose it after he did get to choose a clue only 5 into the game makes it difficult to see how choosing that clue 5 turns earlier would have helped him.  At all.  He answered 8 questions (out of 57) correctly the entire game.   Different categories may very well have helped. Choosing first would not.

14 hours ago, dgpolo said:

blanked on From S-T (and now that I'm typing that-- What were they thinking!)

My thought exactly when I saw the category😀

Poor Jen.  I felt so sorry for her.  Scott and Brian were so quick she just couldn't get to the buzzer first.

My ts's were flounder, Instant Pot and Nero - a very surprising ts since they were given "infamous emperor".

Did not get FJ until Alex said the prize was for architects.  I guess that doesn't count as a 'get'.

I liked Brian well enough but I like Scott too, hope he continues to do well.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I actually learned what the Pritzker Prize was when I was studying up on things for my Jeopardy appearance.  

If Jeopardy ever has the clue "This future governor removed the toilets from his Gold Coast mansion to avoid paying taxes," that's a Pritzker too.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Did not get FJ until Alex said the prize was for architects.

Same here. So no FJ for me.
 I did get a few TSs though...Flounder, glucose, Strudel, and Instant Pot. 
On one question I gave the same answer as Brian...sprint instead of shortcut in the S-T category. 

• Love 3

21 hours ago, Katy M said:

FJ was an instaget.  

I got the TS of surcoat, Thomas Mann, bildungsroman, Nero and Innocence Project.

I got the entire categories of weeds (weird category to run), lit on the map and NY Times headlines.

I had a pretty good night. DJ was better than the first round.

And, btw, I passed the "in-person" test.

Way to bury the lede, @Katy M. YAY! Congrats!

19 hours ago, Driad said:

I know some of I. M. Pei's buildings but didn't know what the Pritzker Prize is. I said Yo-Yo Ma, who explored his Chinese ancestry on "Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates Jr."

We said Yo-Yo Ma too (saw the episode as well). I recognize the name of the Prizker Prize, but I never remember that it's for architecture (maybe I wll now). If I had, I.M. Pei would have been easy peasy. But sadly, we did not.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1

I think I ran the Weapons category! all I can think is it was super easy, but I have a question about the 'assault rifle' answer, would just 'rifle' have been OK? (my answer) I don't think of a 'bolt action' rifle as an assault one, though technically I suppose all rifles, all weapons are assault ones?

Missed one in Blocbusters and did poorly in most everything else. I did get Tito and Yugoslavia just because of a book I read many, many years ago, not a political one but The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax.

My TSs were: Mammoth Caves, Good Samaritan, benighted, Narragansett, and Grahame Greene

So yeah, Yugoslavia was the -only- one I got in that category and Grahame Greene the only one I got in Authors.

Missed FJ, didn't have a clue

Edited by dgpolo
ETA: FJ
  • Love 1

It didn't matter because she missed it anyway, but horrible betting by Lisa.  Daily double with one of the last clues and you don't bet enough to take the lead?   Just bad betting strategy.  Even if you got it correct she would have still lost. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

My TSs were: Mammoth Caves, Good Samaritan, benighted, Narragansett, and Grahame Greene

I got all those, as well, except Good Samaritan was not coming to me for some reason.

• Love 1

I did not get FJ and I'm not going to even say what I guessed because it was stupid.  All I could think of with motorcycle riding was Born to Be Wild and I have no idea who did that.

I got the TS of cure, Mammoth Cave, Ireland and Narragansett (sp?).

I go the entire category of blockbusters right (which is weird because I'm not a movie buff) and the entire partial category of Science TV wrong. I'd like to think I could have gotten the $400 clue.

• Love 1

As soon as Alex got to "late Brit with multi-octave range", I wrote down the correct FJ.  He was also one of the ones I pre-guessed, so good for me!

Hey @saber5055, when did Des Moines leave Iowa and move to Idaho?  

I want to see one of those fluffy cows in person.  Anyone know what breed it is?  It's not a Highland Cow -- they're shaggier (and also adorable).

Seems like there were lots of TS tonight.  I got cure, Good Samaritan, Mammoth Caves, Graham Greene, Ireland, benighted (as a guess), Sangre de Cristo mountains, and Narragansett.  

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I want to see one of those fluffy cows in person.  Anyone know what breed it is?  It's not a Highland Cow -- they're shaggier (and also adorable).

So hilarious about Des Moines. I wouldn't be surprised if it wanted to move to Idaho though, especially during an election year. Side note: Around here when we are feeling cheeky, we pronounce it DEZ moan NEZ. "Let's go to Dez Moan-nez this weekend!"

I just got a quick look but I believe that fluffy cow was a Shorthorn. The fluff is man made. Show cattle are bathed, then their hair is blown dry with big vacuum blowers in the opposite direction so it stands up. Then the cow/steer is shaped with scissors, mostly to level the top line. The farm stores sell all kinds of product to add to the bath/coat/hair to make it stand up, like Bed Head for guys. Show cattle tail hair is also glued up into a round ball. Not sure why, that's just the way it's done. Farm store also sells spray color to boost the "beauty" on show cattle. It's illegal (AKC rule) for a show dog to be artificially colored or have any substance in its coat. Show cows, it's all out in the open and standard practice.

I got Tito and Yugoslavia because I'm old.

I got FJ with ease because I'm not THAT old, plus I like Adam Lambert, who is now singing in Freddie Mercury style with Queen.

Side note: An image of Freddie Mercury is used in an ad for a show-dog product with the headline "We Are The Champions." Not sure if Queen approved that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, dgpolo said:

I have a question about the 'assault rifle' answer, would just 'rifle' have been OK? (my answer) I don't think of a 'bolt action' rifle as an assault one, though technically I suppose all rifles, all weapons are assault ones?

Rifle was indeed the correct answer, but because "rifle" was part of the "assault rifle" answer, that was accepted. People tend to think AR stands for assault rifle or automatic rifle, but in fact the AR-15 is named for its manufacturer, ArmaLite ... AR is short for ArmaLite rifle.

Yeah, I know. Jeopardy judges can be so wishy washy sometimes. This was just another example. I answered just plain "rifle" the same as you did. So we rock IMO!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have a problem with the answer of "Jumanji" to the clue "The premise of this 2017 film: 4 teens are sucked into a magical video game where they meet Nick Jonas." The movie "Jumanji" came out in 1995, not 2017. The 2017 film was titled "Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle," not just plain "Jumanji." Instead of a BMS, Trebek finished the answer which IMO was so wrong. There also is a third in the series, "Jumanji: The Next Level" that came out in 2019. Which movie did the player think was the correct answer? The wrong one.

Using that model, I guess one could just answer "Harry Potter" for the name of the movie where Dumbledore is killed. (Oh, sorry, spoiler.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Woohoo, Freddie Mercury!! As soon as I saw the category I pre-guessed him immediately. 

I also think Carmela should have been ruled incorrect for “Jumanji.” If there was only one film instead of a series, and people referred to it by the shortened name, I could see that being acceptable, but “Jumanji” is a totally different movie. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Yeah, the Jumanji thing bugged me too. That said, it sure as hell sounded to me like she pronounced Narragansett correctly, both times. I was totally confused when he said she'd said it wrong.

I heard Narrangansett, with an extra n in the middle both times.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got Tito and Yugoslavia because I'm old.

I got it because a) military brat b) a military brat whose father drove us through Yugoslavia on the way to another country/tour of duty, with a Strategic Air Command sticker on our car. Was a bit tense at the borders...

FJ was an instaget, though not pre-called.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

At least both states have 3 letters in common. LOL.

I blew FJ. Don't know much about Mercury except he loved cats and had weird teeth  Never understood the fascination with Bohemian Rhapsody.  I heard the extra N in Narragansett, too.  For the authors, I got Bill Bryson easily and I got Greene at the very last second. My favorite Graham Greene is the First Nations Canadian actor, however.

• Love 4

I guess I jinxed Scott in my last post.

Not a bad game for me.  I got the ts's of Good Samaritan, benighted, Graham Greene, Ireland, and Narragansett - I also heard her put in an extra n.

For FJ, I immediately knew the band was Queen but it took a couple more seconds to get to Freddie Mercury. The only band I pre-called was Stone Canyon Band and that is possibly a little too obscure (or old) for Jeopardy!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My favorite Graham Greene is the First Nations Canadian actor, however.

Which is why I started thinking about Dances With Wolves last night, replaying "certain scenes" in my brain. Some here know why that's a fav movie of mine. And Graham Greene even got a Supporting Actor Academy Award nom for his role.

• Love 3

Definitely an extra N in Narragansett.  I didn't pre-call FJ! (I said Roger Daltry, Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler before the clue was revealed) but it was an instaget.  However, the middle person spelt Freddie wrong--she wrote down Freddy.  I know it doesn't matter but it bugged.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At least both states have 3 letters in common. LOL.

You didn't see Match Game last night by any chance?

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I got it because a) military brat

I was wondering how you did in that German-language category the other day. It made me think of you.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Definitely an extra N in Narragansett.

yep, I remember thinking 'that's wrong' when she said it and then repeated it. I was surprised the other two didn't try for the correct pronunciation.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Woohoo, Freddie Mercury!! As soon as I saw the category I pre-guessed him immediately. 

Jeopardy should have a separate bet for pre-guesses.  Bet 1:  contestants see the Final Jeopardy category and write down their pre-guess. Bet 2: "answer" is shown and contestants write down their "questions".   Fun!

I didn't see the entirety of the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody", but saw a few minutes. I knew Mercury had bite and teeth issues, but in the movie the teeth were the only thing I could look at! Very distracting. I should have been an orthodontist.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

So, for FJ, I'm wracking my brain, trying to come up with a two-word phrase involving a color, and finally "Red" pops into my head, so I'm "Red.....menace". Ooh, so close. So, that's a "no" on today's FJ.

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Am I the only one who did not think, "why is Alex wearing an orange tie"?

I wasn't looking, so I only looked up when he said something. I doubt I would've thought anything of it if I had seen it.

Super bad SJ round for me only answered 8 clues total.😞 one of those was Big Ben the missed DD which I had pre-guessed.

Did better in DJ and was so frustrated when they left the last Fiction, I had all the other four. Plus four in Lived Here.

TSs Lord Byron, diamonds, and signature required. Also got the missed DD of Devil's Island.

I got FJ, finally!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dgpolo said:

Did better in DJ and was so frustrated when they left the last Fiction, I had all the other four. Plus four in Lived Here.

They just finished the J round here. I get especially frustrated when they don't finish categories I like, so thanks for the warning. 😉 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

So, for FJ, I'm wracking my brain, trying to come up with a two-word phrase involving a color, and finally "Red" pops into my head, so I'm "Red.....menace". Ooh, so close. So, that's a "no" on today's FJ.

First thing I get on Google for Red Menace...

Red Scare or Red Menace, a term used during the Cold War era to describe the Soviet Union or an "international communist conspiracy"

Would the judges not accept it?

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

The clue read

A 1954 book review said of this colorful 2-word term, also applied to the post-WWI era, "the underlying hysteria lives on"

The book they were referring to is titled: Red Scare: A Study in National Hysteria, 1919–1920 by Robert K. Murray, so they were looking Red Scare.

Courtesy of The Jeopardy! Fan.

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Question is, would our judge (saber) accept it?

I’m awaiting the ruling, because it affects (effects? Never sure) my FJ score. I said Red Menace.

Edited by opus
  • Love 2