Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

As soon as I saw the FJ category, I figured it would be either Dred Scott or Plessy V Ferguson, but I didn’t remember their differences so of course picked the wrong one. 

Based on the category, I assumed either Dred Scott or Marbury v. Madison.  When Alex read the clue, I muttered "separate but equal, separate but equal, what the heck was separate but equal", and then remembered PvF just in time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/25/2020 at 9:43 AM, Clanstarling said:

I always say Die Zauberflöte for The Magic Flute. Others may think I'm full of myself, but it's the name I learned first. I always have to translate it in my head if I want to use the English version.

 

It's interesting which opera titles typically get translated and which don't.  I rarely see "Twilight of the Gods" rather than "Gotterdammerung," or "The Master Singers" rather than "Die Meistersinger."  I seem to see "Marriage of Figaro" a bit more often than "Le nozze di Figaro," although I do run into the latter on occasion.  I have never seen "Don Giovanni" given as "Don Juan"--or even "Sir John," if we really want to translate it into English. 😀  And "Cose fan tutte" is pretty much never translated.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I translate that as "Figaro's Nose."

That's the one opera I've seen (my college's theater department did a trip to NYC every year to see a show, usually Broadway, but my sophomore* year we went to the Met)...and we were in the nosebleed seats...

*I only went that year and my senior year, when we saw RENT, and I only got that ticket because my friend had to give hers up at the last minute. I wish I had gone my freshman year when they saw Les Miserables. (I was not a theater person but some of my friends were.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm very amused that "hate-watch" was a clue tonight. Since Dancing with the Stars is on tonight and Tyra is definitely getting into hate-watch territory (but not the rest of the show, for the most part, or I wouldn't bother).

Was busy with something so I didn't keep score, but I got all the composers (that they got to, anyway). Having the Symphony Hall channel on in my car and watching a lot of TwoSet Violin on youtube apparently pays off.

I guessed at Hemingway and was right. (I did the same last time there was a Hemingway question...) Got Breakfast of Champions at the last second, too.

Not quite an instaget but I got FJ! 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Almost instaget FJ tonight, but I may or may not have misspelled it.

I only wrote down two TS tonight -- honky-tonk and Dayton.  I would like to claim aileron, but I suspect I would have mispronounced it, too.

I would like to thank Snoopy and the Red Baron for my knowing the Sopwith Camel.

 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't get FJ.

I got the TS of Peyton Manning, aileron (but only after Brian helped), The Sun Also Rises, the Breakfast of Champions (oh how I hated that book), Dayton.

I got the entire ctegory of Western Bornders right, shocking my geographically challenged self, and i got the entire partial categories of composers and sounds like money wrong.  

I didn't have a particularly good night.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank Snoopy and the Red Baron for my knowing the Sopwith Camel.

Me too.

Not a good showing, blanked on Borders and Money. The only TSs I got were Sun Also Rises and aileron! ask me why I knew that... I have no idea! Was it on an episode of Murdoch's Mysteries?

I did get four right in the categories of Bones, Quiet Place, Historic Lasts and Animal Quotes.

And I did get FJ though I was sure I was wrong.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

That may be the easiest clue ever : band abbreviation ccr.   Seriously?  Since most people just call them ccr. 

 

It's always gratifying to have it reaffirmed that I'm not "most people".

 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I guessed at Hemingway and was right. (I did the same last time there was a Hemingway question...) Got Breakfast of Champions at the last second, too.

I got Sun Also Rises but I always remember that Brett Ashely was a character in that book because I would have been named Brett if I was a boy and when I read it I was like, "I could have been Brett as a girl....."  I mean I'd have hated it because it's a "boy's" name (I know because I was 20 before I decided my name Brandon was a cool) but my parents wouldn't have had to stress over not having a girls name...   

Also when my college roommate and I were assigned it (once in hiigh school and once in college for me) she said, "Brett and Ashley" and I was like... "uh same person..." and she was like, "NO!"  And I was like, "Yes" and she had to start over.   Twice I read the book!  Twice.  I remember there was bull fighting and Brett Ashely.  

I was going through my list of Vonnegut novels and got to... "brea..." when time ran out.  I don't think I would have rung in in time.

I was worried I wouldn't spell Hammurabi close enough but I'd have gotten closer than the one contestant so it would have counted.  I might have even spelled it right.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thought they missed some pretty easy ones

Peyton Manning

Breakfast of Championns

Water Buffalo (OK that is just one of the the best lines from Fletch that I will always recall from my childhood)

Dayton (really kittyhawk?  That would be a very long flight). 

The Son also rises.....OK that one was not easy and they guessed around it

Share this post


Link to post

I just got The Sun Also Rises, and Dayton. 

20 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

It's interesting which opera titles typically get translated and which don't.  I rarely see "Twilight of the Gods" rather than "Gotterdammerung," or "The Master Singers" rather than "Die Meistersinger."  I seem to see "Marriage of Figaro" a bit more often than "Le nozze di Figaro," although I do run into the latter on occasion.  I have never seen "Don Giovanni" given as "Don Juan"--or even "Sir John," if we really want to translate it into English. 😀  And "Cose fan tutte" is pretty much never translated.

I did get Rossini and got a giggle because it was just discussed on here. I did get all the bones so I consoled myself with that. 

No FJ. It’s one I should have known. I should have had some wine! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thought they missed some pretty easy ones

Peyton Manning

I do not follow sports so I would not have gotten that on its own, anyway, but they mentioned it on the morning show on the radio last week one day, so I was like "I just heard them talking about this" but I couldn't think of his name.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank Snoopy and the Red Baron for my knowing the Sopwith Camel.

Curses, Foiled Again! (not really, just the lyric I always hear first when I think of the song). Yep, that's how I knew it too.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

It's always gratifying to have it reaffirmed that I'm not "most people".

Indeed, if I abbreviate their name, I just say Creedence.

FJ was by no means an instaget. Crickets until all at once it came to me, and the mister (in a kidding tone) said "took you long enough" He always assumes if he knows it I obviously know it (in all categories except for sports and pre-20th century American history).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Congrats to Brian for a second win.

I didn't get too many ts's, just The Sun Also Rises, Breakfast of Champions, and cash.  I had the same problem as Brian with aileron, can never remember if the r comes first (which makes more sense to me) or the l.  Now I know it for sure I hope I can remember it.

FJ was an instaget.  It was actually all I could think of so it's a good thing it was right🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

"I could have been Brett as a girl....."  I mean I'd have hated it because it's a "boy's" name

Brett Butler, star of Grace Under Fire for five years in the 90s. Female! I took a photo of her house when I was a tourist in Georgia.

ETA. I just looked this up and she was named after Lady Brett Ashley in "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway. And now you (I) know!

Edited by PBnJay
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

How was Sopwith Camel not an instaget?  Contestant uh-ed and um-ed and finally got it.  But doesn't EVERYONE know Snoopy and the Red Baron?  Or is that before their time??????

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

How was Sopwith Camel not an instaget?  Contestant uh-ed and um-ed and finally got it.  But doesn't EVERYONE know Snoopy and the Red Baron?  Or is that before their time??????

I know snoopy and the red baron but didn't know that was the name of his plane. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Brett Butler, star of Grace Under Fire for five years in the 90s. Female! I took a photo of her house when I was a tourist in Georgia.

ETA. I just looked this up and she was named after Lady Brett Ashley in "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway. And now you (I) know!

I once read that it was sort of "two kinds of people" thing for her, too - the folks that thought she was named for the Hemingway character (YAY for them) or the ones that related it to Rhett Butler from GWTW (Boo for them.)  She's one of the discerning people who think GWTW is a piece of turgid crap.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

How was Sopwith Camel not an instaget?  Contestant uh-ed and um-ed and finally got it.  But doesn't EVERYONE know Snoopy and the Red Baron?  Or is that before their time??????

It might well be.  I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it's been 20 years (plus a few months) since the last Peanuts strip was published, and even longer since Schulz was doing the "World War I Flying Ace" gags.  I suspect there's a whole generation of people who don't know about Snoopy's aviation adventures.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

How was Sopwith Camel not an instaget?  Contestant uh-ed and um-ed and finally got it.  But doesn't EVERYONE know Snoopy and the Red Baron?  Or is that before their time??????

Well, the song was when I was in sixth grade (or at least, that's when I have a memory attached to it), and I just qualified for medicare - so I'm guessing before their time. As old as it makes me feel

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I got FJ, but I thought I was wrong.  I know CT is the Constitution State, but I thought it meant the current Constitution. But, Big Apple, White Moutnain State, Bay State, Palmetto State, Keystone state, nutmeg State, none of those made sense.  I know that's not all 13.  I also know KY is not one of the 13 original states.

I got the TS of Solomon, roote, Mayor and Asuncion.  i got the entire partial category of Bible right.

And, come on, who else besides me said Chile for they chilly region?

Edited by Katy M
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was upset they didn't finish the Bible category I was hoping to run it, did get all that were shown. Also got four in the categories, Keyboard Instruments, The Book of Job and Pop Culture.

Only TSs were Solomon and Mayor

Knew they wanted the Constitution State only problem was I couldn't remember which one that was, I did briefly think of Connecticut but ended up with New Hampshire for some reason. I think I jinxed myself by telling myself I had a 1 in 13 chance.

Share this post


Link to post

For FJ, I noticed that all three “states” they guessed are commonwealths. For some reason I recently heard some discussion about whether Connecticut is the constitution or nutmeg state so that was fresh in my mind. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got FJ easily. I wasn't paying full attention to the show, but I kept yelling 'Asuncion' at the TV. Never heard of a flatform shoe.

I never heard of a flatform shoe, either, but it was pretty easy to intuit from the clue.  But, would I have taken a chance actually on the show, or thought it was some weird trick?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

My mom got Solomon but I did not.   

I got Asuncion.   And that's it...   Not a great night for the stumpers at my house. 

I also never heard of flatform.  I mean I'm pretty sure that nobody has ever used that word before but if they wanted me to change just one letter to make a flat I would have said flatform and felt ridiculous about it.   Spell check does not recognize flatform as a single word.... again because nobody has ever before used that word.

I said Connecticut but I was Con sounded like constitution and confederation... but is not the nickname so basically what I'm saying is I got incredibly lucky there.   

How can they tell that the contestant wasn't hurt by not going first in double jeopardy.  I mean theoretically he would have started on a different clue/category and maybe picked up some momentum?   No?
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Never heard of a flatform shoe.

Me, neither, but it's the only thing that made sense.

I...don't remember much else. I swear I was watching. Answered a bunch of questions. Got a bunch of those right...

I know I didn't get FJ.

Share this post


Link to post

Add me to the list of those who've never heard of a flatform shoe -- in fact, the autocorrect here changed it to platform!  

I had no idea on FJ, but picked Virginia just because I live there.  

And the only TS I got were root and Mayor.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, bybrandy said:



How can they tell that the contestant wasn't hurt by not going first in double jeopardy.  I mean theoretically he would have started on a different clue/category and maybe picked up some momentum?   No?
 

I spent a very long time wondering this as well. I don't understand how they can say that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, secnarf said:
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:



How can they tell that the contestant wasn't hurt by not going first in double jeopardy.  I mean theoretically he would have started on a different clue/category and maybe picked up some momentum?   No?
 

I spent a very long time wondering this as well. I don't understand how they can say that.

Casey answered correctly on the 5th clue? all in the Job category, I think there were two TSs that no one rang in on (meaning he could have if he knew them) so maybe since he had control of the board that early to pick and possibly 'run' a category and he didn't that maybe the mistake didn't make that much of a difference? I also noticed on rewatch that Christa suddenly looks over at him a clue or two in, maybe she realized that a mistake had been made at that point? she didn't hesitate to pick a category when Alex chose her.

I wouldn't be surprised if they brought Casey back but I guess I can see it either way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I think there were two TSs that no one rang in on (meaning he could have if he knew them) so maybe since he had control of the board that early to pick and possibly 'run' a category and he didn't that maybe the mistake didn't make that much of a difference?

They probably assume that whatever he picked first after he got control would be what he picked first had he gotten to pick first and figure what would have happened from there.  If there were no daily double picked before that point (the point that he gets a question right), it's probably assumed that it makes no difference.  Do you happen to remember if he answered the clue correctly for the first clue he chose?  If not, it can probably be safely assumed that he would have lost control immediately anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Katy M said:
11 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I think there were two TSs that no one rang in on (meaning he could have if he knew them) so maybe since he had control of the board that early to pick and possibly 'run' a category and he didn't that maybe the mistake didn't make that much of a difference?

They probably assume that whatever he picked first after he got control would be what he picked first had he gotten to pick first and figure what would have happened from there.  If there were no daily double picked before that point (the point that he gets a question right), it's probably assumed that it makes no difference.  Do you happen to remember if he answered the clue correctly for the first clue he chose?  If not, it can probably be safely assumed that he would have lost control immediately anyway.

He did not (He really didn't do that well) he had $1200 at end of SJ, Christa had $4200, Brian had $10, 600.

It went like this:

Alex called on Christa to go first, she chooses Jobs for $400, Brian answers correctly. (Harriet the Spy)

Brian picks Jobs for $1200, TS (The Night Manager)

Brian picks again Jobs for $2000 and gets it (The Magician's Nephew)

Brian picks Jobs for $800, TS (The Mayor of Casterbridge)

Brian picks Jobs for $1600 and Casey gets it (The French Lieutenant's Woman)

Casey picks Pop Culture $800 Christa answers correctly (Hannah Montana) and Casey loses control of the board.

Casey had $3600 at the end of DJ, way behind the others.

Thanks to the Jeopardy Archive for lots of info for this post, I rewatched on my YouTubeTV where I have the show set to record.

  Jeopardy Archive

Edited by dgpolo · Reason: ETA: Thanks and additional info
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Casey picks Pop Culture $800 Christa answers correctly (Hannah Montana) and Casey loses control of the board.

I think that right there decided it.  He could have gotten any of the earlier questions right as the weren't DDs it didn't matter who picked them. As soon as he had control of the board he immediately lost it.  There's no reason to think that he wouldn't have either Pop culture for $800, or one of the 4 earlier clues as his first pick and lost control of the board immediately, therefore, no, the game was not meaningfully impacted.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Also wanted to say, again, that Christa does this odd turn of her head towards Casey right after Brian answers the first clue, Harriet the Spy. I don't know if he made some sort of noise? said something under his breath? or what, it just seemed like maybe she remembered he should have gone first. There was really no reason for her to look at Casey at that moment, if anything she would be looking at Alex or Brian because he had just answered.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Also wanted to say, again, that Christa does this odd turn of her head towards Casey right after Brian answers the first clue, Harriet the Spy. I don't know if he made some sort of noise? said something under his breath? or what, it just seemed like maybe she remembered he should have gone first. There was really no reason for her to look at Casey at that moment, if anything she would be looking at Alex or Brian because he had just answered.

I imagine things move quickly and as a contestant it can be hard to keep track of everything. Alex told her to pick a clue, so she did. Then probably realized, wait a second... (I didn't actually see the moment, though.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I guess I wasn't paying attention at the start of the DJ round because I didn't even notice that Alex called on the wrong person.

My ts's or missed DDs were Solomon, root, Mumbai and Mayor. 

Did not get FJ.  I know I had a choice of thirteen but I couldn't choose which one to guess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, the song was when I was in sixth grade (or at least, that's when I have a memory attached to it), and I just qualified for medicare - so I'm guessing before their time. As old as it makes me feel

You are me. 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't see the show yesterday, but Alex always says at the end of SJ and before commercial break, "NAME OF PERSON gets to pick first in Double Jeopardy." Did he not do that yesterday?

I did read that TPTB determined the switch up didn't affect play, so it's a done deal the way it played out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't see the show yesterday, but Alex always says at the end of SJ and before commercial break, "NAME OF PERSON gets to pick first in Double Jeopardy." Did he not do that yesterday?

I did read that TPTB determined the switch up didn't affect play, so it's a done deal the way it played out.

The last clue in SJ was the one that Christa answered with 'Ren and Stimpy' and there was a lot of laughter and Alex said something about her laughing about it and enjoying it then he said to her 'You're in second place, Casey's in third and that means of course he's going first when we come back', then when the show came back, after announcing the categories he said 'Christa' and off they went

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

54 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Has Alex ever messed up like that before? 

 

He has.  He's only human. The judges usually catch him in time, though and he corrects and has the right person select.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

He has.  He's only human. The judges usually catch him in time, though and he corrects and has the right person select.

My thought is, if the switch had affected play, they would have stopped, changed up the board and reshot that segment. But since it didn't, they didn't. This said as someone who has no voice in how the show is run, I'm just a person who posts here!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

That may be the easiest clue ever : band abbreviation ccr.   Seriously?  Since most people just call them ccr.

You would think. But once I was talking to a guy about music, and when I said I liked CCR, he got all excited and said, "Wow, most people have never even heard of Cross-Canadian Ragweed!" So one guy out there missed it for sure.

19 hours ago, bybrandy said:

How can they tell that the contestant wasn't hurt by not going first in double jeopardy.  I mean theoretically he would have started on a different clue/category and maybe picked up some momentum?   No?

Agreed. I think in show speak, that meant he didn't set the boards on fire so they weren't going to bother redoing the round for him. But really, anything could've happened; they couldn't possibly know. The ruling that there was "no material effect" seemed not only meaningless but kind of insulting to me. I didn't care for it.

I do like Brian. He started out so rough I was sure he was going back to the classroom to be tormented by his high schoolers, but he's managed to string together some respectable wins.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Me, too. He reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who.

This guy?

 

The-Greatest-Hits-cover.jpg

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, opus said:

This guy?

 

The-Greatest-Hits-cover.jpg

lol...no...but it wasn't until last night that I caught that his last name was Adams. 😄 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size