Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Public Displays Of Contention

• Start Topic

I despise everyone in this show. I’m getting ready to stop watching. 

Libby’s family is AWFUL. They are enraging. If they have a spin off I will NEVER watch it. 

Please tell me they’re all getting dragged on social media for being ugly Americans and just awful people. 

• Love 18

I'm about halfway through this episode.....

Tania picked the wrong....WRONG time to have that conversation with Syngin.  His mother is clearly just another enabler.  I agree with Tania's points, even though she hasn't shown much drive, dedication or focus. (where is that theoretical soap?) 

I don't know what she thought she was going to accomplish.  First she says she won't raise kids in south africa, which is totally fine, but obviously its going to put everyone on edge.  Then she goes shittalks Syngin in front of his family?  They barely even know her, why would they agree with her?  She should have left way before that scene ended.

For his part, Syngin was also a shit, however, I think Tania always should have known that Syngin had no structure and no life plan.  She isn't going to guilt him into it.  I had to laugh when Syngin was going on about buying land in South Africa.....with what money?  Has he ever had a job that paid him money for any amount of time?

Aseulo's family is trash.  The idea that two women who want Aseulo to mindlessly give them money think that his wife is "brainwashing" him is priceless.  Those two are just mad that they aren't brainwashing him anymore.  At least Tammy works to support her mother too, so she puts her money where her mouth is.  And just LOL that anyone wanted to "trap" Aseulo with a baby.....I've seen Aseulo eat an apple, that is not a man prize.  Maybe if Aseulo used a condom instead of being told they were for sluts, he'd have more money to send mommy dearest.

Libby's family stays straight trashy.  Is there any way we can just keep them in America so people don't think they are representative of all Americans?  I'm glad to see that Libby's stepdad didn't get in on all this shittalking.  Charlie is fucking ecstatic to gossip....I bet his family is so happy he is away, he seems miserable.

Colt and Jess.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
On 8/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, Kangatush said:

I will never ever be Team Angela, because of the abuse, but I will say that she makes a major point that she has never been deceptive about who she is, and how she will behave.

I don't get Angela at all.  

Clearly, when they get to America things between she and Michael will be however she wants it because she is the one who holds all the power.  

So, why doesn't she just smile, nod and agree with everyone in Nigeria.  The ONLY person who has to be convinced that Angela will be in charge in the US is Michael.  Why does she keep going off in front of people who do not matter.  Aunt Lydia isn't going to be living with them in Hazelhurst, GA so who cares if she thinks Angela is submissive or not?

Angela jumped through all these hoops to impress Michael's family, but why did she do that and why did she even listen to the marriage counselor if she thinks is so important to be AMERICAN in Nigeria?  Why does she think that it will be impossible to just go through the motions, smile and nod in Nigeria and make sure Michael understands and agrees that she won't be submissive in America.

Like, of course Michael told his Aunt Lydia that Angela will be submissive, because IT DOESN'T MATTER!  He wants his family's approval, particularly since they are paying for the wedding....and their thoughts and opinions wont really matter when he gets to the US.  If anything they will be at peace if they imagine him enjoying his life in Hazelhurst with a white woman cooking him Nigerian food.  Why can't Angela just let them have that?

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, steff13 said:

I had to FF through Libby and Andrei's scenes; I just can't with them anymore.  Her family is awful.  

Asuelo's family was also awful.  I hope that's manufactured drama.

I agree with Larissa that she needs a nose job.  🤷

Jess makes me very uncomfortable.  But not as uncomfortable as the dream I had that Colt-ee proposed to me.  The ring was huge but the diamond was poor quality.

Tania eating in the bed and giving Sinjen the silent treatment bugged me.  

It bugged me because unless they are paying for that Airbnb they are staying in someone's house.  Unless I have permission I'm not going to just assume that someone wants me eating in their bedroom.  Maybe this is why I normally stay at a hotel.  

LOL, I was on Tania's side, but her pretending like she is some goal oriented superwoman is pretty hilarious.  Wasn't Syngin actually working when she met him and Tania was on some walkabout?  Didn't Tania move in UNINVITED into his apartment?  What does Tania think she has accomplished and how does she think she has leveled up?

From her first season, I've said that Tania is just one of those women who wants all the respect afforded to working women, but she doesn't want to work.  She wants whatever "respect" she thinks she will get as a "doctor" or "holisitic healer" but she doesn't want to have to do that as a job that pays the bills.  She wants a man who will have a 9-5 structured job so HE can pay the bills and pay for the lifestyle she wants.  But he cannot ever be recognized as the breadwinner.  Tania wants all the upside of a career woman and none of the downside.  

I'm not sure if a structured breadwinner type of guy wants to be with someone like Tania.  Its doubtful.  

• Love 15

It's hard for me to believe that a guy who can't afford to buy a cell phone and lives in a dump has $30K to lend.  

Michael knows what Angela is like and yet he insists on being with her.  The irony is that based on the travel ban, it might all be in vain.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Honey said:
  Hide contents

When Lib and Andrei were on pillow talk, Jenn would often come over to watch the show with them.  They would all sit on the bed together and joke around.  It appeared they really liked each other.

Yes, I watched that and I follow them on social media.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

It's hard for me to believe that a guy who can't afford to buy a cell phone and lives in a dump has $30K to lend.  

Michael knows what Angela is like and yet he insists on being with her.  The irony is that based on the travel ban, it might all be in vain.  

Perhaps he really is as cheap as Larissa says, and he won't buy a cell phone or live in a nicer place.  It could be why he has a lot of money saved.  If he loans her that money though, he deserves to lose every cent.  How does he expect her to pay him back?

I have a friend who is so cheap it's maddening.  He was staying with us once,  I was cleaning up the kitchen and was about to throw away a bread package that had 1 heel of bread left and nothing else.  He completely freaked out on me.  This guy has tens of thousands of dollars in the bank.  He also complained when I returned 2 of his empty beer cans along with my empties.  I gave him a quarter and told him to keep the change.  Some people just really are that cheap.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Michael deserves everything coming to him:

1. the constant yelling and berating

2. the “you can’t ever look at another woman” yelling

3. the putrid smell of cigarettes when Angela sticks her tongue in his mouth

4.  his spine getting crushed whenever she is on top

5. the aroma of old sweat that was trapped between all the skin folds - especially when her breasts are lifted up

6. the constant manipulation and shaming and controlling

he deserves it all because he is a 100% free man to make his own decisions and he made them 

I have not one bit of sympathy for this loser of a man. He is not a victim. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15

It's been a while since I've watched this show, but the great thing about it is that you can start watching and never miss a beat. Libby's family is still full of drama-seeking morons, I see. Imagine criticizing a country for having . . . winter and . . . large buildings.

I can't watch Michael and Angela. It's just too disturbing and abusive. I want Michael to stay with his family and friends, who at least seem to care about him and his safety.

Tania and Syngin need to go their separate ways. Don't have children; they won't heal your broken relationship.

Kalani is a better person than I am, apparently. She was far more patient with Asuelo's mom and sister than I would be. They're clearly hiding their selfishness  behind "culture." I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the Samoan emphasis on family taking care of each other includes loving and taking care of children, not depriving them for their grandmother's unspecified "needs." I would never have predicted that Captain Slut-people would be the gem in that family.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Even if Syngin gets enough money to buy land in South Africa, why would he want to?     First, unless he hits a lottery, he will never have enough money, and what would he do with it anyway?  Sit on the porch drinking beer all day, and raking his hands through his hair?   Owning, and working land is hard work, and have we seen him do anything but whine about his life?  

Angela is despicable, and I wish Michael would realize what his life will be like if he marries her.   

I really wish Tammy would have grabbed Kalani, and Kalani would have easily cleaned her clock, and Mama A. too.   I would have been  dealt a huge blow if there wasn't video of this.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Safadao said:

5. the aroma of old sweat that was trapped between all the skin folds - especially when her breasts are lifted up

he deserves it all because he is a 100% free man to make his own decisions and he made them 

Any time one makes that comment about an adult female from an impoverished country, they are chastised for not understanding that poverty has driven them to desperation and they can't be held accountable for their choices. 

• Love 6

I get that working in the mines is hard work.  But Syngin has said he did it for seven years and started at 17, so he has now had six years to rejuvenate.  At some point he needs a new excuse for sloth.

15 minutes ago, Quof said:

Any time one makes that comment about an adult female from an impoverished country, they are chastised for not understanding that poverty has driven them to desperation and they can't be held accountable for their choices. 

There is a lot of chastising of opinions here lol.  

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Did Syngin work as a miner?  Or was he the supervisor on site for the other miners?    

He said he worked underground as a miner.

37 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really wish Tammy would have grabbed Kalani, and Kalani would have easily cleaned her clock, and Mama A. too.   I would have dealt a huge blow if there wasn't video of this.    

I can honestly suspend all disbelief while watching this show.  I don't think about the fact that I'm watching is mostly fake.

But that whole "hold me back!" thing Tammy had going on with her mom was ridiculous.  Either it was scripted, or Tammy is a punk (or both).  She was barely struggling to get away from her mother, who was barely holding back.   😆  Hilarious.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3

I am willing to wade through all the fabricated drama to witness the local food, clothing, family and friends as they all react and interact with each other.  These moments, while few, are delightful. 
I was pretty miffed when Libby’s mother was toting baby Eleanor in the meetup scene.  She should have walked over to the mother in law and said, “here, enjoy your granddaughter.”  
I am hoping that behind the scenes, they have an interpreter or two so these people can really bond.  If I was flying over to meet my family, I’d arrange for that to happen.  Gotta give small credit to Angela for hiring an interpreter but then she was even bullying the poor interpreter.  Plus I guess the real reason for Angela hiring someone was because she doesn’t trust Mackle to say the right thing.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

I am willing to wade through all the fabricated drama to witness the local food, clothing, family and friends as they all react and interact with each other.  These moments, while few, are delightful. 
I was pretty miffed when Libby’s mother was toting baby Eleanor in the meetup scene.  She should have walked over to the mother in law and said, “here, enjoy your granddaughter.”  
I am hoping that behind the scenes, they have an interpreter or two so these people can really bond.  If I was flying over to meet my family, I’d arrange for that to happen.  Gotta give small credit to Angela for hiring an interpreter but then she was even bullying the poor interpreter.  Plus I guess the real reason for Angela hiring someone was because she doesn’t trust Mackle to say the right thing.  

What confused me is that Angela dismissed the interpreter before she could clearly translate the one thing to Michaels mom that she actually gives a shit about...namely.a grandchild and how Angela cannot give her one. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

These moments, while few, are delightful. 

But hasn't Mother Andrei been caring for the child the entire trip?  When Libby and Andrei went to the airport (twice), during the baptism, when they went out to dinner (at least twice), when they were looking at "wedding" venues. .... Not a child in sight.  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

@BravoAddict72, I laughed because did anybody refer to it as the national anthem? And why would you expect Andre to know the American national anthem? And making fun of him? I bet the two Chucks don’t know all the words to their own anthem either. When I was a kid we lived in Montreal and so we learned the Canadian national anthem but I’m pretty sure that I don’t remember all the words correctly and a lot of the times we just sang.  Same goes for all the Christmas songs we learned to “sing” in French.  The Chucks should be embarrassed and they should apologize.

That they stood there and demanded that the family perform for them was so staggeringly rude and ignorant. Reminds me of when Amy (sweet nice Amy from South Africa who came to the US to marry socially inept virgin Danny) was awakened on her first day in the country by her fiancé's rude as fuck relatives who were demanding that she "say something in African" before she could even brush her teeth. Who ARE these people? 

18 hours ago, renatae said:

I caught a bit of Darcy and Stacey, and production could fill the whole show with their favorite phrases on a See and Say pull toy.

It's like a fairytale!

It's so romantic!

My dreams may be coming true. I deserve this!

I'm a strong independent woman. I don't need a man! Wah!

Maybe my prince has finally come.

Nobody ever did anything so special for me before.

I don't need this! I'm done!

And the ever popular "You never loved me! Get out of my life!"

Already begun with Stacey, who was so bitterly disappointed the Florian didn't drop his bags and run into her arms "like in a movie". 

16 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Andrei's family was just lovely to Libby's family who were just horrid and insulting.  Calling the food "peasant" food after stating that the family lived in the "projects" is just beyond any kind of normal human reaction to people who are preparing feasts and welcoming one to their country and their home.  Oh, and Jenn "I wish I was in Paris" well, guess what-it starts getting dark there early in the late fall and winter just like Moldova about which you are complaining.  

Jenn is a horror. Seriously, complaining about it getting dark early? That's called Winter, and it happens all over the world. Its hardly a failing on the part of the country of Moldova. And the smack talk about the food. Any family gathering at Casa Family Libby is distinguished by the finest offerings from their local grocery store's deli department. I've never seen any of those plastic tarts lift a manicured finger to so much as open a bag of chips. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, Safadao said:

But Angela is still an abusive piece of shit.

• Love 13

I think Michael's end game is to marry Angela knowing that there's no way he will ever make it to the US. He'll stay behind in Nigeria, collect checks from Angela and possibly father a child or two with other women since Angela can't monitor him 24/7. The price for this will be Face Time calls throughout the day but he can pretend to be a faithful husband working towards obtaining the Spousal Visa while basically going on with his life. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

I can't watch Michael and Angela. It's just too disturbing and abusive. I want Michael to stay with his family and friends, who at least seem to care about him and his safety.

If Michael did pack up and leave that house per Angela's instructions (idle threat), there would be a scene in the driveway as she tries to stop him from getting in the car, it would become physical I am sure. If he did get away she would follow him and scream for him to let her in like Stanley Kowalski.  

I don't think it is a good idea to marry someone you have to campaign so hard for, I mean, everyone sees the red flags and the fights and frankly if I were Micheal I wouldn't go thru with it because Angela does not have enough money to make it worth the abuse even at a distance.  

Stupid people doing stupid things.

• Love 8
On 8/23/2020 at 10:22 PM, Frozendiva said:

Kalani and Asuelu: So much dysfunction. Except for the two kids, there isn't a reason for them to be together. Hopefully in reality, the family is not as awful as it seems. The Samoans are being portrayed very badly.

I think there is a cultural aspect to this money thing, and that as usual with reality TV, and this show in particular, they're taking that seed and turning it into a forest of exaggeration.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:13 AM, Neurochick said:

As I watched Kalani deal with Asuelu's mother and sister, I wondered if that's why Kalani's dad did not want her to marry a man from Samoa.  The dad's still a racist (wants his daughters to marry WHITE men).  But maybe he felt that if Kalani married a man from Samoa, he would be obligated to take care of his mother and Kalani would always come in second.

I think her dad used the word "white" as a synonym for "non-Samoan."  I remember the word Caucasian being used last night.  It sounds like the world might be divided into "Samoan" and "white."  Kind of like how the Amish refer to non-Amish as English, regardless of whether they're from England.

And we're seeing why Father Kalani might not want his daughters to marry a Samoan, especially one who's very influenced by his culture.  Perhaps her dad has seen the cultural influence on himself (he appears to have a penchant for fisticuffs, as does Kalani) and would prefer that his daughters not have to deal with some of the more problematic aspects of it.  Possibly including Asuelu being responsible for sending money back home.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:00 AM, Neurochick said:

Kalani said she used to beat people up when she was a kid?  I guess she was a straight up bully.  I guess she gets that from her racist dad.

There are plenty of bullies out there who aren't racists.  And I'm sure there are lots of racists who don't beat up people.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 13

@RealReality, I guess I failed to notice that she never let Momma freely converse with the use of the interpreter.  That would have been thoughtful. 

@Quof, You are right that there have been many scenes where the baby is missing and I assume the Grandma Andrei is caring for her.  She’s just so cute, I don’t think I could take my hands off her.

• Love 2

IMO, if we know that Angela, BBLisa, Ed, Darcy, Deavon, Brittany, (and oh so many others from this show,) are NOT representative of US culture, then it's not a leap to suggest that Momma Ansuelo and the rest of her family are NOT representative of Samoan culture.

• Love 15

Angela is a chain smoking, bra toting bully, how much more could she pack in that bra!?  Mykell has now shown us who the submissive one is if the two. She can scream "fifty fifty" all she wants but she will forever be "the boss".

Larissa & Ericeeee are obviously only roommates. I have more chemistry with the guy who puts advertising flyers on my front door! Did anyone else notice that scene while she was organizing her closet & they discussed how much money he was obligated to give her for more plastic surgery,  he gave her a very quick peck on the lips. You would have thought it was a long deep kiss, Larissa makes a semi moaning 'mmmmmm' sound as Ericeeeee exits the room to leave her to her closet organizing. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, lilysmom said:

IMO, if we know that Angela, BBLisa, Ed, Darcy, Deavon, Brittany, (and oh so many others from this show,) are NOT representative of US culture, then it's not a leap to suggest that Momma Ansuelo and the rest of her family are NOT representative of Samoan culture.

momma ansuelo is the Angela of Samoa. sister ansuelo is the Jenn. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, RealReality said:

I'm about halfway through this episode.....

Tania picked the wrong....WRONG time to have that conversation with Syngin.  His mother is clearly just another enabler.  I agree with Tania's points, even though she hasn't shown much drive, dedication or focus. (where is that theoretical soap?) 

I don't know what she thought she was going to accomplish.  First she says she won't raise kids in south africa, which is totally fine, but obviously its going to put everyone on edge.  Then she goes shittalks Syngin in front of his family?  They barely even know her, why would they agree with her?  She should have left way before that scene ended.

For his part, Syngin was also a shit, however, I think Tania always should have known that Syngin had no structure and no life plan.  She isn't going to guilt him into it.  I had to laugh when Syngin was going on about buying land in South Africa.....with what money?  Has he ever had a job that paid him money for any amount of time?

Aseulo's family is trash.  The idea that two women who want Aseulo to mindlessly give them money think that his wife is "brainwashing" him is priceless.  Those two are just mad that they aren't brainwashing him anymore.  At least Tammy works to support her mother too, so she puts her money where her mouth is.  And just LOL that anyone wanted to "trap" Aseulo with a baby.....I've seen Aseulo eat an apple, that is not a man prize.  Maybe if Aseulo used a condom instead of being told they were for sluts, he'd have more money to send mommy dearest.

Libby's family stays straight trashy.  Is there any way we can just keep them in America so people don't think they are representative of all Americans?  I'm glad to see that Libby's stepdad didn't get in on all this shittalking.  Charlie is fucking ecstatic to gossip....I bet his family is so happy he is away, he seems miserable.

Colt and Jess.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Totally agree and want to add one thing about Tania.  While I agree with all the negative things said about her, I did have a moment of sympathy for her.  While it was the wrong time, she had hoped to get some understanding of her frustration with Syngin's aimlessness.  Her frustration with not being understood was palpable.  

If Ericee gives money to Larrisa, he is an idiotee.

Edited by Johann
Adding comment
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

@RealReality, I guess I failed to notice that she never let Momma freely converse with the use of the interpreter.  That would have been thoughtful. 

@Quof, You are right that there have been many scenes where the baby is missing and I assume the Grandma Andrei is caring for her.  She’s just so cute, I don’t think I could take my hands off her.

So, it was just bizarre.  Angela was like "we need an interpreter so that momma can get the straight shit about the SUPER IMPORTANT FACT THAT I WONT BE A SUBMISSIVE WIFE WHEN MICHAEL AND I ARE LIVING TEN THOUSAND MILES AWAY FROM HER!"

Why does momma need to know how her grown adult child chooses to live....with his wife....in another continent? 

And then,.for the only thing momma IS INTERESTED in, the one thing has always been a potential dealbreaker....a grandchild.....Angela mysteriously let's the translator go home.....why?  Momma wants to know about the status of a future grandchild far more than she wants to know if Angela will be submissive on a different continent. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Meowwww said:

But it’s a poor country, much like Moldova.  Those spreads would be a good portion of the family’s monthly income.

I hope (but doubt) that TLC paid for "catering" by Andre's family because they are notoriously cheap (so I've read and had the expense of flying crew and family to Moldova); however,it hurts me to the "quick" that the family would have had to make financial sacrifices to pay for the bountiful food table. 

Which brings me to the OBVIOUS observation that their SON, if he had been WORKING in the States instead of spending his time babysitting and playing video games, since he would have known exactly what your point was, would have paid for the lavish spread.  (I'm angry as anyone can tell!!)  Lovely parents, freeloading son.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Quof said:

I.e. Rose!   Who I also had no sympathy for.

1 hour ago, RealReality said:

And then,.for the only thing momma IS INTERESTED in, the one thing has always been a potential dealbreaker....a grandchild.....Angela mysteriously let's the translator go home.....why?  Momma wants to know about the status of a future grandchild far more than she wants to know if Angela will be submissive on a different continent. 

And I don’t think Michael told his mother that part. He just told her the not being submissive part. Unless I missed it. And if I am correct, that is why his mother said OK to the marriage.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Johann said:

While it was the wrong time, she had hoped to get some understanding of her frustration with Syngin's aimlessness.  Her frustration with not being understood was palpable.

His family acknowledges how he is.  They just don’t get why she chose him and why she expects him to change his personality at her bidding.

Edited by MrBuhBye
  • Love 12

Yeah....why was kolini watching the kids while asuelu was on a Gameboy?  

He looks dimmer than ever and is useless as tits on a bull.  He has a part time yogurt job and can't watch his own children alone.  Girl, let that halfwit go back to Samoa and support his mother.  How much money does she need to live if she is getting money from all her other "good Samoan" kids?

Kalani's parents IMO would support her financially and otherwise if she dropped asuelo.  Her parents had to move back because he wouldn't help with the kids....so what is he bringing besides a small monthly paycheck and intermittently helping with his own children. 

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
38 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Her family acknowledges how he is.  They just don’t get why she chose him and why she expects him to change his personality at her bidding.

I think they acknowledged that after she left the room.  While she was there, they were saying that she should understand Syngin's side.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, Adeejay said:

I can't help but believe Asuelu's mom and sister are playing for the camera.  Surely, no one could be that greedy and rude.  I'd bet good money that Kalani would take out Asuelu and his sister.  Together.  

It would be a joy if Angela was as nice and respectable to everyone as she is to Michael's mom. 

It's folks like Libby's family that give Americans abroad a bad name.   

Angela's not doing much to help that image, either.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Johann said:

I think they acknowledged that after she left the room.  While she was there, they were saying that she should understand Syngin's side.

Didn't his father say something about Syngin being "unstructured" and questioning if Tania thought she could change that just because they're married?  I thought "unstructured" was a wonderful way to acknowledge that his son doesn't have any drive, passion, or a path ahead of him, but well, that's our son and we love him.

Tania is just another woman doing the "I love him! He's wonderful! I can't wait to change him!" routine.

• Love 7

I could be remembering incorrectly.  I just remember thinking " I wish he had said that while she was in the room", but maybe he did but just said more or said it more clearly after she left.  Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  That's a distinct possibility.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I think that was his stepfather.

1 hour ago, Tango64 said:

Tania is just another woman doing the "I love him! He's wonderful! I can't wait to change him!" routine.

She wants his look and his bedroom skills but with an entirely different personality.

• Love 6