Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Don't Grumpy Stop

• Start Topic

Deavan is upset by Jihoon's lack of preparation; Tim packs up his house, hoping this move will save his relationship; Ari arrives in Ethiopia and is shocked over her new apartment; Jenny puts pressure on Sumit.

Airs July 6, 2020.

Cheesestick doesn't interest me. He cheated once. It may not happen again. Or it may. The issue is within himself and once he fixes that, he may never cheat again. No matter how beautiful the woman or man is, a person can and will cheat. Hope he has learned Spanish. He won't last long in Colombia. He reminds me of a Colt type dude - women are attracted to geeks.

Jenny and Sumit - no magic for the two cow-crossed lovebirds. Surely Jenny could have Googled Indian divorce proceedings and timelength (even in a densely populated country like India, there is bureaucracy and things may not be as computerized as North America). She could also book an appointment with a lawyer in the US who knows about Indian divorce law and ask that lawyer. Not Sumit. And not booked a plane ticket until the actual divorce documents have been finalized.

Ariela and Baby/Bini - at least he brought flowers. So he thinks that some rich, entitled American woman who has spent her life living in luxury is going to live in that apartment? Whose shoes are those? His? Previous renters? Why is there a shoe rack in the bathroom? Why doesn't the toilet have an actual toilet seat? Why is there mold around the toilet? Where is the shower? Is there a light fixture in the bathroom? Did he ask her what she needs? He can certainly buy a new toilet seat. I had to buy one last week when my cousin complained about mine being loose.

Armando and Kenny - I have hope for these two and hope nothing goes wrong with them. Armando's daughter is sweet and maybe she will have a great life with two dads. Perhaps his family will also come around once they see how happy he is when he is true to himself.

Deaven and Jihoon - Deaven, you were under no obligation to marry your oops, you did it again, baby daddy. Granted, she does have mommy issues with her lousy mom. Jihoon is not ready for marriage, he is not ready for kids, he does not have a job, he is a man-child dependent on his parents. He couldn't even find an afternoon to check out the apartment that you rented or actually looked for one on his own. No money, no chance of money coming in any time unless he gets himself a decent job. But has no incentive to do so. You probably were deceived by the apartment photos and did not have help in choosing suitable accommodations.

• Love 23
9 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Why doesn't the toilet have an actual toilet seat?

I'm always startled at bathrooms in Italy that seem to be "toilet seat optional," even in upscale ladies rooms. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

How did Ari and Beni meet in the first place? Did she think Ethiopia was going to be like her annual European vacation? Beni seems a very nice man who is trying, but I'm sure there's only so much he can do and housing there must be very different from the US.

And Avery! OMG what was she thinking? Thank goodness her mother came with her.

Furthermore, why is "lying" such a popular word on this show?? It doesn't seem like there's much lying going on, just fairy-tale-addled Americans trying to trap third-world residents into suddenly morphing into Saudi royalty.

I do love the two gents in Mexico though!

Whoever thought up Pillow Talk and the show where the subjects talk back to social media is a genius. Those are entertaining shows and the 90-dayers are being good sports about it.

• Love 8
(edited)

I'm about to head to bed and process all of this overnight but for now...

Why do all of these people act like all of all of their circumstances have just, happened to them, do any of the idiots believe they have any agency whatsoever? Oops! You know, sometimes you have a baby! You know that thing where out of nowhere you end up living in a decrepit apartment with a lying shiftless moron in a foreign country? I know this is TLC driven but have some self-respect.

I literally don't understand the part of cheesewhiz not quitting the job he works remotely from, I literally don't understand it as a storyline, he is supposed to quit his job that he can apparently work remotely from to get a local gig at a cybercafe or something? I've been working from home for months now, it's fine, they put money in my bank account every two weeks, I video chat sometimes, why would he quit a job that is not tied at all to his location because he moved? It's not even a time zone issue.

Edited by John M
  • Love 23
5 hours ago, John M said:

Why do all of these people act like all of all of their circumstances have just, happened to them, do any of the idiots believe they have any agency whatsoever? Oops! You know, sometimes you have a baby! You know that thing where out of nowhere you end up living in a decrepit apartment with a lying shiftless moron in a foreign country? I know this is TLC driven but have some self-respect.

I literally don't understand the part of cheesewhiz not quitting the job he works remotely from, I literally don't understand it as a storyline, he is supposed to quit his job that he can apparently work remotely from to get a local gig at a cybercafe or something? I've been working from home for months now, it's fine, they put money in my bank account every two weeks, I video chat sometimes, why would he quit a job that is not tied at all to his location because he moved? It's not even a time zone issue.

Ariela should know better having been in Ethiopa before.  As someone pointed out in live chat her parents were very likely funding her accommodation, but I’m not sure how she ever thought Biniyam could afford anything she would consider acceptable.  That place was disgusting.  Deaven’s mom is the perfect picture of the “Ugly American” stereotype and Deaven knows very well what Jihoon is like.  Telling him to step up and support them is not going to make the slightest difference.

Cheatstick is stupid of course, but I do know someone at home who Is working remotely and wanted to move to her husband’s native country since it’s cheaper to live but her job said no.  They said something about legal implications of paying someone living under a different jurisdiction.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, ThereButFor said:

Ariela should know better having been in Ethiopa before.  As someone pointed out in live chat her parents were very likely funding her accommodation, but I’m not sure how she ever thought Biniyam could afford anything she would consider acceptable.  That place was disgusting.  Deaven’s mom is the perfect picture of the “Ugly American” stereotype and Deaven knows very well what Jihoon is like.  Telling him to step up and support them is not going to make the slightest difference.

Cheatstick is stupid of course, but I do know someone at home who Is working remotely and wanted to move to her husband’s native country since it’s cheaper to live but her job said no.  They said something about legal implications of paying someone living under a different jurisdiction.

And don’t you think Ariela’s Mother who travelled all that way with her would go see the apartment to see if it was acceptable.....just doesn’t make sense to me that she wouldn’t.  

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, endure said:

Did anyone else notice the scars or stretch marks on Ari’s arm, either from cutting or from being obese?

I noticed that in her first episode.  
Horizontal marks all along her upper arms, about 2-3” each. 
Looks like cutting to me. 
She’s not obese.  Right now, she looks very large due to the pregnancy, but in her earlier pictures with “Baby/Bin” she was very average size.  
There’s definitely something off about this girl, and I appreciate her mother for going with her and behaving so calmly.  Something tells me this isn’t the first time Ari’s parents have dealt with her. 

Edited by Sterling
  • Useful 2
  • Love 18

Except for being small, Deaven's apartment doesn't seem so bad, but the location - oh, my. I'm surprised we didn't see her mother screeching around about it. Jihoon is definitely not ready to live in the adult world. His parents are so sweet.

Jenny will now have to wait 1 to 10 years to find out if the divorce is real unless she forces Sumit to trot her down to the Bureau of Important Form Bungling. Sumit is prevaricating once again. It's not a divorce until the paper pushers sing. She should have stayed home until she could see the whites of the final decree.

I thought Ari's response to that awful bathroom was admirable. No carrying on - just "we need a better place." Personally, I'd be looking like an ugly American despite my better instincts. That black stuff all over the floor looked like tar, but was probably mold, and no shower, even by bucket, seemed available.

• LOL 7
  • Love 13

Jihoon and Asuelu need to become a couple.  Both are extremely immature and lazy individuals who can not function independently.  I will give Jihoon credit for being self aware enough to admit that he messed up by not inspecting the apartment before Deavan and the children arrived. 

The location of the apartment doesn't seem like the best, but the apartment of itself doesn't seem as bad as she's making it out to be. 

I like Ari's calm response to the apartment. She calmly stated that they needed a better place to live. Looking at you Deavan's mother.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17

Jen-NAY and SomeMeat's storyline is becoming tiring. He's still lying, and she's still jumping the gun and trusting him. Yawn.

Areola's nervous smile while viewing the apartment! When she smiles she reminds me of actress Marissa Tomei with blonde hair. Yes, she handled that well, even though she spelled out to Baby Cool in the truck that she was exhausted and spent from traveling. She should have stayed at the hotel with Mom for the night for sure. I agree with the PP that her parents have probably dealt with her "I'm going to dabble in living below what I am accustomed to" before. 

Cheesedick is boring and all I can focus on now are his ruby red lips. 

Yes, Jihoon is an Asian Asuelu. I think he's honestly disappointed in himself but just has no clue as to how to man up and better himself. My son's Father is this way. He has the mind of a 18 year old trapped in a body of a 54 year old. Our son is now 24 and years beyond him in maturity (and no, we haven't been together for over 21 years now!). He's a good person and means well, but it's like the brain can't mature. Not exactly sure what Deavan means by not having anything back in the US. She has her parents and can evidently live with them, it appears!

Kenneth and Armando's slow-paced story line is KILLING ME!!! They still haven't gotten together by the end of this episode! But, OMGee, that condo/apartment seems nice, right?? How cute is Hannah...wondering if she got to meet Kenneth in person already or is going by chatting with him on video. Wondering what her English skills are and Kenneth's Spanish ones, if any. And Truffles!!! Taking those long car trip days like a boss with his wittle dog bed and his tongue lolling. Love him! 

Kind of wish we didn't get a break from the Yazoo Parental Meeting Meltdown. THAT I want to see go down! 

• Love 14

So much doesn’t make sense. Why wouldn’t mom go with them to check out the mouldy hovel her pregnant daughter would be living in? I know I would.  I realize Jenny is in stupid crazy love but why would she book the air ticket when there’s no evidence of divorce papers and Sumit is a proven pathological liar.
Why was Jihon so keen to have Deavon come there when he knows he’s been lying all along and will be nagged and hounded to death once found out. Is the TLC money that good? Or does he crave the TV exposure? His parents seem totally uninvolved in the whole thing. It’s their grandchild too. I sense that if Deavon returned to the US they might not be particularly bothered.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Jihoon, how lazy do you have to be to not even check out that apartment? No excuse for that.

Jenny and her thin greasy hair. ugh.

Too much time spent on Cheesedick who is not interesting.

That bathroom was gross, Ari needs to run back to the U.S.

Maybe I am getting jaded or 90 Day is wearing themselves thin with all those spinoffs because I find this new season boring.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, lamujerdecente said:

I really dislike Deavan and her mother. It’s like these twats live in 1953 where there were no birth control choices and only men can earn a living. I can forgive one bad choice with a kids out of wedlock but this bitch has bought two kids into her mess and she behaves as if she has nothing to do with it. 

This right here.  I loathed Kalani in her original season because she acted like Asuelu was solely responsible for the second pregnancy. Lady you were there too, not under any duress as far as we know.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

I love Kenny.  I love Armando.  I love Kenny's family.  I love Armando's family.  I love Truffles, Kenny's little chihuahua.  I loved the clips of Kenny driving to Mexico to be with Armando.  

I thought Armando's daughter was going to live with them?  So why is he leaving her behind?  I must have missed something somewhere.  As if I needed a reason to luv Kenny more, here comes Truffles OMG the cutest overload is too much =D

No more Cheese stick PLEASE!  He is unbelievably boring and I don't give an F about his stupid cheating story.  UGH I don't know what it is about this guy but he just oozes dullness--his stupid face, his stupid boring clothes AHHH!

Ari is really giving me spoiled American vibe from her.  Her mom is great and I love how supportive she seemed to be of Bini but I just get the feeling Ari knows she can just fall back on her supportive parents if the slightest little thing goes wrong.  IDK maybe I'm just in an angry mood

• Love 6

This might be my favorite episode title ever.

So far I like Biniyam.  He seems to have a good attitude, even though he can't pick real estate.  Ari is an idiot.  OMG, the dude I met after seeing him out a window got a hair cut, so obviously he's a different guy.

Deavan earns everything she gets.  Same with Jenny.  If your partner has been caught in lies, time and time again, get receipts, see the proof, BEFORE travelling.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Sterling said:

I noticed that in her first episode.  
Horizontal marks all along her upper arms, about 2-3” each. 
Looks like cutting to me. 
She’s not obese.  Right now, she looks very large due to the pregnancy, but in her earlier pictures with “Baby/Bin” she was very average size.  
There’s definitely something off about this girl, and I appreciate her mother for going with her and behaving so calmly.  Something tells me this isn’t the first time Ari’s parents have dealt with her. 

I agree it would more likely be cutting and I wasn’t suggesting she is obese now but maybe was at some point.  I didn’t notice it in the first episode just this one, I actually reversed and watched it again just to make sure. It was when they were in the vehicle coming back from airport.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, renatae said:

Except for being small, Deaven's apartment doesn't seem so bad, but the location - oh, my. I'm surprised we didn't see her mother screeching around about it. Jihoon is definitely not ready to live in the adult world. His parents are so sweet.

I totally agree with you.  Jihoon's parents' apartment is very small, too--did Deavan expect four bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths?  Even if the neighborhood seemed sketchy, surely the apartment would have sufficed until they could get their act(s) together.  I was confused by her insistence on going home right away, without giving life in the apartment a chance.  It truly didn't seem so bad to me.

Ditto the apartment Baby found for Ari.  We haven't been to Ethiopia before on this series, but we've visited other African countries, and seen that there is a certain level of what we Americans consider "comfort."  This apartment seems to me to be typical of some of the apartments we've seen, with the benefit of no roommates.  Ari complaining about "light" gave me the pip.  Furthermore, once Ari's mother sees it, she will probably be horrified, and insist on helping financially in obtaining a nicer place to live, one with granite countertops and white kitchen cabinets.

Ari has been to Ethiopia and other third-world countries, and she knows (or should know) what life is like.  If she's having second thoughts at this late date about giving birth in Ethiopia, I say it's all fake.  She's echoing all the things her family--her *medical* family--was trying to make her see before she left the US.

I have zero sympathy for either of these women.  Deavan seems to be throwing up her hands in despair without trying to solve their problems, and Ari is acting like a spoiled princess.

• Love 17

If that is mold in Bini's apartment (which I don't think it is), Ari's mother, when she sees it, could hire a cleaner to come over and sanitize the shit out of that place.  A toilet seat may be hard to find in Ethiopia (although I doubt it), Mom could mail one from the US or someplace closer.

Ari's big complaint that it was "dark"--give me a break.  "Dark isn't good for a baby."  Bite me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

For South Korea I didn't think the apartment was that small. You really can't apply American housing standards to urban Asia. Land and space is at a premium there. The apartment was small but it did have 2 bedrooms...

Same with the Ethiopian apartment. However, TLC does tend to show the worst of places.

I LOVE it when they say "you can't raise/have babies here." How da fuqu do they think the Ethiopians/Koreans/South Africans do it?

The only reason Deaven moved back to Korea is because the show was getting ready to film again and she didn't want to lose her spot.  

Just now, Mothra said:

If that is mold in Bini's apartment (which I don't think it is), Ari's mother, when she sees it, could hire a cleaner to come over and sanitize the shit out of that place.  A toilet seat may be hard to find in Ethiopia (although I doubt it), Mom could mail one from the US or someplace closer.

Ari's big complaint that it was "dark"--give me a break.  "Dark isn't good for a baby."  Bite me.

She was complaining about free furnishings...My guess is that the princess brought along mama to help guilt trip her into better digs.

• Love 16
50 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I thought Armando's daughter was going to live with them?  So why is he leaving her behind?  I must have missed something somewhere.  As if I needed a reason to luv Kenny more, here comes Truffles OMG the cutest overload is too much =D

She's going to join them later. He wanted to get things set up first.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, magemaud said:

I'm always startled at bathrooms in Italy that seem to be "toilet seat optional," even in upscale ladies rooms. 

I know right??? Greece too. It get's worse when you go up north.  I went into a university and the bathrooms had squat toilets. 

I just can't anymore with these people. Either they are so fucking clueless that they need assistance to tie their shoes or just absolutely stupid beyond hell.  We have access to birth control (therefore no reasons for an oops as in Ari and Devan's cases. I mean whatever happened to no glove, no love campaign? What happened to being careful about AIDS?), access to goggle (in Jenny's, Ari and Devan's cases) so that they can look up the information such as living conditions, neighbourhoods, reviews on Air B&Bs, translators on information if not in English and Indian divorce laws.  They cannot be THAT STUPID. And if they are, TLC is just saying "Hey Americans are really stupid." 

I am waiting for TLC to shit on my favourite couple of Ken and Armando. Just waiting for that shoe to drop.

• Love 18
Just now, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Deavan annoys the ever-loving shit out of me! Is there any particular reason she can’t get off of her ass and earn dome money? And no, having two small kids does not prohibit her from working. I worked a full-time job, earned a Master’s degree and raised two kids.  She has some serious entitlement issues. Jihoon may be lazy and immature, but she’s not pulling her weight either. Considering her daughter is like four years old and still wearing pull ups and drinking bottles, she ain’t exactly slaying that SAHM thing. 

Jihoon may be a lazy manboy, but the fault here lies with Deavan for knowing this and expecting something different.

• Useful 1
  • Love 23

I don't understand why they are manufacturing all of this drama, trying to make it look like Deavan is going right back to the US with her bitch mom.  Did they forget that the first scene they showed of her was four months in the 'future'... still in South Korea and worrying about the coronavirus?

And if they turn Kenny or Armando into an asshole, I will be so bitter!

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

Deaven is probably limited in her work options because of her visa. Even teaching English in Korea can be difficult without sponsorship in advance from the school.

Mostly I came here to register my OH HELL NO at the promo for "coming this summer, Darcey and Stacey!"   That may the only idea WORSE than the Family Chantel, which was a BAD BAD idea.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, TeapotWakeen said:

Mostly I came here to register my OH HELL NO at the promo for "coming this summer, Darcey and Stacey!"   That may the only idea WORSE than the Family Chantel, which was a BAD BAD idea.

Yeah I am so sick of them.  Why does TLC think people are interested in these two narcissistic plastic-injected bimbos who clearly just exploit the whole 90 Days premise to be reality stars?  I hope the ratings on their show is .1 and it gets cancelled in week 2.

• Love 19

Deaven is probably limited in her work options because of her visa.

Her limited brain activity would preclude her from any kind of lucrative job also. As Eleven would say, "Mouth breather!"

I completely tune out whenever Cheesewiz is on the screen. Who the hell looked at him and said, "Here's our new star!"

If Armando and Kenneth turn out as insufferable as Stephanie and Erika, we riot.

Jenny may be 60-something on the outside, but on the inside she's still in middle school. Can someone nominate her for a "Queer Eye" makeover? Please?

For a moment there I thought I was watching "House Hunters International" when grown-up Cindy Lou Who was looking at the apartment. "I'm sorry. I'm a snob. If my bathroom is not updated every five years, I see no reason to go on."

• LOL 9
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, Dobian said:

Yeah I am so sick of them.  Why does TLC think people are interested in these two narcissistic plastic-injected bimbos who clearly just exploit the whole 90 Days premise to be reality stars?  I hope the ratings on their show is .1 and it gets cancelled in week 2.

And Darcey would find a way to blame Tom and/or Jesse for the cancellation.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Ariela and Baby/Bini - at least he brought flowers. So he thinks that some rich, entitled American woman who has spent her life living in luxury is going to live in that apartment? Whose shoes are those? His? Previous renters? Why is there a shoe rack in the bathroom? Why doesn't the toilet have an actual toilet seat? Why is there mold around the toilet? Where is the shower? Is there a light fixture in the bathroom? Did he ask her what she needs? He can certainly buy a new toilet seat. I had to buy one last week when my cousin complained about mine being loose.

I don't blame Bini for that.  Ari acts like one of these people who pretends to be "woke."  She's like, "I'm going to Ethiopia to have my baby with my man.  Aren't I hip?"  But when she gets there she turns into "Spoiled American Princess."  Someone on Twitter said she's in Ethiopia because there's no way she can raise a biracial child in America, not with her father, who made his opinions known.

Deavan suffers from "IReallyThoughtHe'dChangeWhenWeGotMarried-itus."

Ari and Deavan are two spoiled princesses.  Those apartments weren't great BUT there are people right here in the USA who live in places like that.  So they can miss me with their princess act.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 3
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, Ucross said:

Whoever thought up Pillow Talk and the show where the subjects talk back to social media is a genius. Those are entertaining shows and the 90-dayers are being good sports about it.

The only person I see being a good sport on the "Strikes Back" show is Avery. She laughs at the comments that people leave for her, "owns" her actions, agrees that she did stupid things and laughs at herself. So does Yolanda, to a lesser extent, but she's so dim I think a lot of the snark just goes right over her strangely coiffed head. The rest act like they are hilarious or witty but Ed still comes across as a jerk, Stephanie plays the victim (but she has an ILLNESS!) Ash is humorless and defensive, Darcey is bitter, Rose's reactions and facial expressions are way over the top and Tom is just plain MEAN. He's taken the "have you gained weight" comment to a whole new level. 

And did I hear correctly, Darcey claimed that the treadmill scene was the first time she ran with her "new boobs"? She's had bigger implants since last season? 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Sterling said:

She was having an anxiety attack in the cab because Baby had cut off his dreads and lost weight? She hadn't Skyped with him recently? He had rented them a "furnished apartment", did she expect the House Hunters Holy Trinity of "open concept, granite countertops and stainless steel appliances?" She specified her needs as electricity and hot and cold running water (and maybe something else pretty basic?) and Baby delivered on those things. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

And Darcey would find a way to blame Tom and/or Jesse for the cancellation.

I'm kinda with her on that. I also try to find random things in my life to blame on them.

Someone drank the last Coke... damn it, Tom!

I've been constipated for a week... thanks, Jesse, you never loved me! 

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Jihoon may be a lazy manboy, but the fault here lies with Deavan for knowing this and expecting something different.

True!  I have had it with Deavan's sour puss face!  I remember this from the 1st season she was on.  Gah she always had a frown.

The apartment wasn't that bad.  It was small but not bad looking.  It looked clean and it was furnished nicely.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Deavan annoys the ever-loving shit out of me! Is there any particular reason she can’t get off of her ass and earn dome money?

I don't think this is a spoiler but in case: 

Spoiler

There was a preview for the show last month showing us Deavan earning money and Jihoon annoyed at the type of employment. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

True!  I have had it with Deavan's sour puss face!  I remember this from the 1st season she was on.  Gah she always had a frown.

The apartment wasn't that bad.  It was small but not bad looking.  It looked clean and it was furnished nicely.

The only thing that gave me pause was that Family Jihoon seemed upset about it as well. Otherwise I thought it was fine for temporary housing.

Am I the only one who laughed at Deavan's all morning=2 hours? 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, lamujerdecente said:

I really dislike Deavan and her mother. It’s like these twats live in 1953 where there were no birth control choices and only men can earn a living. I can forgive one bad choice with a kids out of wedlock but this bitch has bought two kids into her mess and she behaves as if she has nothing to do with it. 

Not every woman needs to be a feminist but if u want to be a stay at home mother u dolt then make better choices. And get to know the men u sleep with. 

Jihoon is a child and immature AF but he is also miles more self aware than Deavan and her enabling mother. 

Listening to Deavan droning "you have to be a man you have to step up you have to make some money you have to provide" on a continuous loop over and over would drive me over the bay. I am more sympathetic to Jihoon and his lovely parents than I am to her. He's a goofball but he's making tentative steps. He's sweet and kind and has a sense of humor. Or he used to. And I agree, all these women who keep demanding that men "step up and PROVIDE", wtf? It's 2020. You decided to have these babies with men you don't even know. Own it. 

2 hours ago, Mothra said:

I totally agree with you.  Jihoon's parents' apartment is very small, too--did Deavan expect four bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths?  Even if the neighborhood seemed sketchy, surely the apartment would have sufficed until they could get their act(s) together.  I was confused by her insistence on going home right away, without giving life in the apartment a chance.  It truly didn't seem so bad to me.

Ditto the apartment Baby found for Ari.  We haven't been to Ethiopia before on this series, but we've visited other African countries, and seen that there is a certain level of what we Americans consider "comfort."  This apartment seems to me to be typical of some of the apartments we've seen, with the benefit of no roommates.  Ari complaining about "light" gave me the pip.  Furthermore, once Ari's mother sees it, she will probably be horrified, and insist on helping financially in obtaining a nicer place to live, one with granite countertops and white kitchen cabinets.

Ari has been to Ethiopia and other third-world countries, and she knows (or should know) what life is like.  If she's having second thoughts at this late date about giving birth in Ethiopia, I say it's all fake.  She's echoing all the things her family--her *medical* family--was trying to make her see before she left the US.

I have zero sympathy for either of these women.  Deavan seems to be throwing up her hands in despair without trying to solve their problems, and Ari is acting like a spoiled princess.

I love you forever for "gave me the pip"! I haven't heard that expression in ages but I intend to reinstate it into my lexicon post haste. That and "beaut". As in, "That Ari is a real beaut!"

We all know that every foreign country has to be shown in the most unflattering light possible. Congested, narrow streets, small, dark apartments with questionable plumbing are par for the course. For fun we're sure to be treated to bony, mangy dogs, feral livestock of all kinds, ragged children, filthy beggars, and insalubrious looking produce in a grimy, ramshackle marketplace. Travel is so broadening! 

2 hours ago, Dobian said:

Worst Apartment Contest

Sumit's:  Inside looks clean, just sparsely furnished.  Outside you can be murdered over ten bucks.  And blood stains on the sidewalk.  Well, tobacco juice according to Sumit, and we can believe him, right?  But it has a security gate.  There is that.

Sumit is probably correct, at least this time. Betel leaf is chewed very commonly in India, its usually mixed with tobacco. It stains the teeth red and the juice, which people spit out everywhere, is red. That's probably what Jenny saw. 

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Her limited brain activity would preclude her from any kind of lucrative job also. As Eleven would say, "Mouth breather!"

I completely tune out whenever Cheesewiz is on the screen. Who the hell looked at him and said, "Here's our new star!"

If Armando and Kenneth turn out as insufferable as Stephanie and Erika, we riot.

Jenny may be 60-something on the outside, but on the inside she's still in middle school. Can someone nominate her for a "Queer Eye" makeover? Please?

For a moment there I thought I was watching "House Hunters International" when grown-up Cindy Lou Who was looking at the apartment. "I'm sorry. I'm a snob. If my bathroom is not updated every five years, I see no reason to go on."

I'm calling it right now, Kenny and Armando will spend more time crying and moaning than any couple in the history of 90DF. 

House Hunters International, LOL. So true. I could just hear someone saying "the bathroom is a bit dated". 

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I don't blame Bini for that.  Ari acts like one of these people who pretends to be "woke."  She's like, "I'm going to Ethiopia to have my baby with my man.  Aren't I hip?"  But when she gets there she turns into "Spoiled American Princess."  Someone on Twitter said she's in Ethiopia because there's no way she can raise a biracial child in America, not with her father, who made his opinions known.

Deavan suffers from "IReallyThoughtHe'dChangeWhenWeGotMarried-itus."

Ari and Deavan are two spoiled princesses.  Those apartments weren't great BUT there are people right here in the USA who live in places like that.  So they can miss me with their princess act.

Agreed. Think back to Danielle's apartment, for example. 

• Love 5

I do think Ari is kind of an idiot, but I'm also well aware that she's six months pregnant with a man she barely knows, had traveled for 24 hours and has massive pregnancy hormones, which probably did a lot to contribute to her anxiety attack in the cab.  She at least wasn't a total "B" to Bebe at the apartment, although the smell of mold would have been enough for me to get back on a plane and go home (highly allergic).  I think that there actually was a shower in the room but it is one of those bathrooms where there is no delineation between the shower and the rest of the fixtures (looked to me that it was along the back wall but I could definitely be wrong).  

I would love to see the pictures of what Deaven THOUGHT that apartment was going to look like.  Amazing what a motivated photographer can do to make things look bigger and better.  I actually think Deaven used to have a pretty good job before she met and married Jihoon.  I wonder if her mom dyes her hair blonde or Deaven dies her hair black, because other than that they look a lot alike in the face.  Her mother is pretty rough though!  Of course Jihoon's parents are selling Jihoon short by not demanding that he grow up and be a man, regardless of his relationship with Deaven.  They seem to have coddled him throughout his life.

Armando's little girl was so sweet about moving to be with Kenny - I wonder if it has occurred to her that she's leaving all of the rest of her family behind?  

• Love 6

The thing about Jihoon (who is deteriorating before our eyes) is that he is sorry, he says he's sorry, it's all his fault, he's a bad husband...but he takes no steps to repair his errors.  While I fully agree that Devean needs to woman up and accept her responsibility for the fix she finds her little family in, at least she's not carrying on like Jeremiah.  I have known people like Jihoon (my beloved mother-in-law after fucking up, sighed and said "It's the nature of the beast" and went right on fucking up.  She's lucky I loved her so much) who feel that acknowledging, apologizing, rending of garments and gnashing of teeth are enough when they've screwed up.  They do all this breast-beating then it seems like they hit a wall.  They continue to suffer in the knowledge of their misdeeds until someone forgives them, tells them it's no big deal.  If that doesn't happen, they continue--like Jihoon-- to carry on about what a bad job they've made of it.  I will be interested to see how far Jihoon is willing to take his vocal regrets if Devean doesn't forgive him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

The only thing that gave me pause was that Family Jihoon seemed upset about it as well. Otherwise I thought it was fine for temporary housing.

They may have been upset because Deaven and her mother were upset.  They were embarrassed for their son.  As others have pointed out, the apartment was larger than their own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4