Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Seventy Cents

• Start Topic

Party preparations for Mirabelle McCullough’s first birthday are underway as Mia helps Bebe search for her daughter. To Pearl’s dismay, Moody tries to take their relationship to the next level at the Homecoming dance while Izzy sends a message to April. Mia’s discovery at Mirabelle’s birthday threatens her newfound friendship with Elena.

Original air date: 3/18/20

Argh I do not want Pearl to go down the rabbit hole of being in a triangle between Moody and Trip. Why she’d be attracted to Trip is beyond me, other than the fact that he’s the “hot” jock, which he’s not IMO. But based on the previews it looks as if that’s where they’re going. Sigh. I like Moody, and her closeness with him. 

Speaking of Pearl she seems rather clueless when it comes bias and racism. All that moving around has left her naive, desperate for friends (something she’s never really had) and thus easily hoodwinked. Lexi’s boyfriend definitely seems way more “woke” in comparison. 

Totally predicted that Elena’s friend’s adopted baby would be the daughter of Mia’s co-worker. Why Mia would tell her co-worker that she found the baby is beyond me. Bad move. The co-worker walking in on the party was disastrous. SMH. No good will come from that. Also, I totally called Izzy being gay or bi-sexual. She probably came on to her best friend, which led to the end of their friendship.

Loved the parallels of Mia’s Chinese co-worker being short $0.70 to buy formula for her baby and the store clerk being indignant and cold, and not just letting her have the formula for the money she had, but told her to leave if she couldn’t pay, while White Izzy gets on a bus and doesn’t have enough money to ride but the bus driver lets her ride anyway.

I’m finding that I don’t dislike any of these characters, they’re all (the main characters at least -Mia, Pearl, Izzy and Elena) interesting and have perspectives that can be considered valid. I do think Mia is the way she is due to past experiences, being a single black mother and all that goes with that, but that she’s running from something too. I’ll admit though we need more insight into who she is, what makes her the way she is.

I agree with others Joshua Jackson is being completely wasted here. Really all of the men are, at this point, which is quite the change. Usually it’s women who are left as support with not much to do while the men “shine.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Enero said:

Speaking of Pearl she seems rather clueless when it comes bias and racism. All that moving around has left her naive, desperate for friends (something she’s never really had) and thus easily hoodwinked. Lexi’s boyfriend definitely seems way more “woke” in comparison. 

It is the 90's though.  Apparently the first known use of "woke" was in 2008.  I knew "woke" people before we even knew what the concept was, but I don't really blame Pearl.

2 hours ago, Enero said:

I agree with others Joshua Jackson is being completely wasted here. Really all of the men are, at this point, which is quite the change. Usually it’s women who are left as support with not much to do while the men “shine.”

"Big Little Lies" was like that too, I'd say.  Maybe with the exception of Alexander Skarsgård.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It is the 90's though.  Apparently the first known use of "woke" was in 2008.  I knew "woke" people before we even knew what the concept was, but I don't really blame Pearl.

Agreed. I used “woke” for lack of a better term. But believe me there were plenty of people like Lexi’s boyfriend, teens at that, in the late 90s who were very much aware, and not amused by some of the behaviors and comments they experienced that were similar to what we see here from the Richardson’s and others. 

I don’t blame Pearl for her naivety. I think this can be mostly attributed to her living like a nomad, I’m assuming for as long as she can remember-15-16 years. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Enero said:

Totally predicted that Elena’s friend’s adopted baby would be the daughter of Mia’s co-worker. Why Mia would tell her co-worker that she found the baby is beyond me. Bad move. The co-worker walking in on the party was disastrous. SMH. No good will come from that. Also, I totally called Izzy being gay or bi-sexual. She probably came on to her best friend, which led to the end of their friendship.

Yes, I wish Mia had tried harder to stop her from going to the party. I can't imagine how hard that would have been for the coworker, to know where her daughter was and not go get her. But I think legally she'd have a better shot if she went straight through a lawyer.

3 hours ago, Enero said:

Also, I totally called Izzy being gay or bi-sexual. She probably came on to her best friend, which led to the end of their friendship.

So I feel it's something more than this - maybe it was just me, but it felt like the friend seemed almost...jealous? That Izzy was dancing with / kissing that other kid. And Izzy doesn't seem to know why they're not friends anymore (she asked in the bathroom why). I think if she'd made a pass that had been rejected she'd understand why the other girl didn't want to be friends. I almost wonder if the friend is the one that is gay or bisexual and has feelings for Izzy, and is starting rumors about her because she's having trouble processing it.

3 hours ago, Enero said:

I’m finding that I don’t dislike any of these characters, they’re all (the main characters at least -Mia, Pearl, Izzy and Elena) interesting and have perspectives that can be considered valid. I do think Mia is the way she is due to past experiences, being a single black mother and all that goes with that, but that she’s running from something too. I’ll admit though we need more insight into who she is, what makes her the way she is.

Agree with everything you've said here!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Why didn't Linda and her husband just go out and adopt a baby after it became clear she shouldn't get pregnant?  Why was May Ling the only baby they could adopt?  Makes no sense to me other than to create drama.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Dminches said:

Why didn't Linda and her husband just go out and adopt a baby after it became clear she shouldn't get pregnant?  Why was May Ling the only baby they could adopt?  Makes no sense to me other than to create drama.

They did, but it can take years to get approved, especially if you're looking for a healthy infant vs. and older child. And probably it just so happened that when May Ling was found they were next on the list. Super contrived, but these things tend to happen to move plots along.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Natalie25 said:

So I feel it's something more than this - maybe it was just me, but it felt like the friend seemed almost...jealous? That Izzy was dancing with / kissing that other kid. And Izzy doesn't seem to know why they're not friends anymore (she asked in the bathroom why). I think if she'd made a pass that had been rejected she'd understand why the other girl didn't want to be friends. I almost wonder if the friend is the one that is gay or bisexual and has feelings for Izzy, and is starting rumors about her because she's having trouble processing it.

I definitely noticed the friend seeming jealous so I figured maybe she and Izzy mutually liked each other but then the friend got scared/embarrassed about it so she stopped talking to Izzy and started the rumors. Your spec that maybe it's actually the friend that's gay/bi and Izzy is actually straight is good as well. I'm positive it's one of the two, the friend almost certainly has feelings for Izzy imo.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

Ugh, Bill was annoying me when he started talking to Elena while she was on the phone. It's a pet peeve of mine because IT'S SO FUCKING RUDE. You can clearly see that she's holding a giant phone next to her head. Unless the house is on fire (heh, which, as we saw in the first episode, does in fact happen), whatever you need to say can wait.

It still blows my mind that Pacey Witter is old enough to play a dad, especially since during the show's timeline, Dawson's Creek was still a few months away from premiering.

Anyway, Bill is an idiot for mowing the lawn in a shirt and tie. I just laughed at the huge sweat stains because if you decide to mow the lawn in you work clothes, you kind of get what you deserve. The most I liked him was when he admitted that Debbie's story about Izzy and her friend might be true.

Telling Bebe exactly where her baby was in the middle of her birthday party? That was a TERRIBLE idea, Mia! I know she was excited about finding her friend's kid, but she couldn't have kept that under her hat until the next day at the very least?

Mia might love Pearl and keep her fed, clothed, and housed but she is not a great mother because she is so emotionally immature/manipulative. I know that there's no such thing as a perfect parent but she is wrong to withhold so much information from Pearl. Kids want to know about their families and where they come from so it shouldn't be a shock that Pearl wants to know abut her father and grandparents. And it's not like Pearl is a toddler. She's 16 which means that Mia has had SIXTEEN YEARS to think about how to answer these inevitable questions (or at least come up with some plausible lies). Pearl deserves answers about her family.

Mia is very tightly wound and controlled most of the time, but when she loses it she is a complete bitch to Pearl. In a previous episode she threatened to move again just to punish Pearl. This time it was yelling at Pearl to wear the dress that Lexie bought her.

I know that Elena was trying to relate to Izzy and help her when she told her that bra stuffing story, but Izzy saw the real message right away - pretend to be something that you aren't.

I've noticed that poor Moody is always the one of Elena's four kids who does more stuff around the house (getting a million instructions to set the table while the other three kids don't have to do anything) as well as getting blamed for things that he didn't even do (like when Trip called him a bitch at dinner and then when Moody said not to call him a bitch, Elena reprimanded Moody for his language but didn't say a word to Trip). However much parents want to believe that they treat their kids fairly/equally, 99.99999999% of the time that just isn't true.

It's obvious that Moody likes Pearl who likes Trip and I can't blame anyone for their teenage crushes, no matter how nonsensical or logic defying they may be. To Pearl, Trip is the embodiment of the high school guy - he's popular, he plays sports, he is laidback, etc. I don't think she likes him because she thinks it will make her popular though. I think that she yearns for a life that's the opposite of her own: stable, suburban, safe, stereotypical. And I think that Trip fulfills part of that fantasy - dating a popular athlete with a varsity jacket. It's less about Trip and more about the idea of Trip and what he represents to nomadic Pearl who has slept in her mom's Chevette and doesn't get to put down roots.

I just hope this stupid love triangle doesn't result in Moody getting so jealous that he acts out. I know it's not cool to ditch your friends for someone you like, but that gets complicated when that friend likes you (and even more complicated when the friend is related to the person you like). Pearl is allowed to like Moody as only a friend. She doesn't owe it to him to like him back just because he likes her.

The 90s references continue to amuse me (90210, Snapple, Trip picking up the phone while his mom is in the middle of a call, Lilith Fair, the striped spaghetti strap tank tops, pager codes, Sugar Ray, The Cosby Show, Street Fighter, Tyson Beckford). I totally cracked up at the music at the homecoming dance - Chumbawumba! The Cardigans! Savage Garden!

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It still blows my mind that Pacey Witter is old enough to play a dad, especially since during the show's timeline, Dawson's Creek was still a few months away from premiering.

Does Joshua have a really young face?  Or are we just too used to him as Pacey?  Also, Joshua is about to be a dad now in real life too!

9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's obvious that Moody likes Pearl who likes Trip and I can't blame anyone for their teenage crushes, no matter how nonsensical or logic defying they may be. To Pearl, Trip is the embodiment of the high school guy - he's popular, he plays sports, he is laidback, etc. I don't think she likes him because she thinks it will make her popular though. I think that she yearns for a life that's the opposite of her own: stable, suburban, safe, stereotypical. And I think that Trip fulfills part of that fantasy - dating a popular athlete with a varsity jacket. It's less about Trip and more about the idea of Trip and what he represents to nomadic Pearl who has slept in her mom's Chevette and doesn't get to put down roots.

I agree.  I have a friend from another country who claimed that those All American Football guys are her type because they're "so exotic".  That always makes me laugh.  But to her, it's true.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

Joshua Jackson's face needs the beard.  It just does.  End of story.  Otherwise, he does not look like Joshua Jackson. 

index.jpg.ed3859751ddc160e233abb0dfcb45acb.jpg

See?  I find his beard both soothing & comforting and it's just the way his face should be.

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 4
  • Love 13
54 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I have not read the book but I wonder if Mia was raped by the guy on the train and that's Pearl's father? 

That's what I assume as well. I feel like it's almost too obvious though.

19 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Joshua Jackson's face needs the beard.  It just does.  End of story.  Otherwise, he does not look like Joshua Jackson. 

I agree.

• Love 2

Way to go Mia, that just went so well! Telling Bebe where the baby was without any other plan in the middle of the party was a terrible idea, and Bebe running in screaming about them taking her baby probably wont help any legal case that is inevitably going to follow. They could easily make her out to be unstable and unfit to be a mom. What a mess of a situation. I understand why Bebe gave up her daughter, thinking that was for the best for her, but really the adoptive parents arent necessarily the bad guys either, they had no clue that the bio mom still wanted her daughter, and they were desperate for a child. Honestly for a second, I thought that Mia would take the baby and make a break for it, but even she makes better choices than that. 

Pearl is pretty naive when it comes to racism and mico-aggressions, but she seems to have lived a live pretty sheltered with Mia, traveling so much that she might not have dealt with this kind of racism much, plus she is so desperate for friends and stability that she is willing to overlook stuff to be around people who have that stable white picket fence life she dreams of. I think it sucks that Mia wont tell her anything about her father or her family, and all of her answers are so condescending and obviously evasive, especially towards a sixteen year old, no wonder Pearl is getting pissed. Pearl has a right to know where she comes from, and not to have her legit questions met with hostility and defensiveness. My first thought was that Mia was raped and the rapist is Pearls dad, or she was in an abusive relationship and is running from him, but that almost seems too obvious, especially as Mia wont even acknowledge having parents or any other family. Is Pearl even her bio daughter? Did she steal her from someone else and run off? Is she projecting with Bebe? 

There is so obviously a hierarchy when it comes to Elena's kids, her favoritism is pretty obvious. Izzy is clearly WAY down at the bottom, followed by Moody, Trip, and Lexie, her favorite and "little Elena". Bill doesn't seem to show as much obvious favoritism, but he just seems to be kind of floating around around the house, not involved with the kids in general beyond eating dinner together and basic stuff. I agree that I really wish they used Joshua Jackson more, I know he has a lot of talent. I dont have any problem seeing him as a dad, as I was too young for Dawsons Creek so I dont really know him as Pacey, but I mostly find it weird seeing him being this suburban dad, because I mostly know him as Peter from Fringe!

By the time Moody finally gets to watch Before Sunrise, he will probably be able to watch Before Sunset!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Cementhead said:

See?  I find his beard both soothing & comforting and it's just the way his face should be.

LOL. Thanks.   This analysis is amazing.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I have not read the book but I wonder if Mia was raped by the guy on the train and that's Pearl's father? 

I was wondering the same thing, they seem like nightmares, and Mia seems like she's running. If he's maybe powerful or influential, she might be worried that he'd want custody.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Is Pearl even her bio daughter? Did she steal her from someone else and run off? Is she projecting with Bebe? 

I didn't think of that. That's a good possibility.

I still think though that the guy from Grey's Anatomy that Mia's seeing in her nightmares raped her and is Pearl's father. And I think you could be right @Natalie25 about him being powerful and that's why Mia is always moving around with Pearl. He's wearing a suit, I believe, in her nightmares which could suggest he's powerful.

• Love 5

I'm so mad at Mia right now! She had to run off and get her friend all worked up about the baby? She couldn't just wait till morning? She had to give her the address, for crying out loud? May Ling wasn't going to disappear overnight.

If I were Elena, I'd be super suspicious to find Mia upstairs in the dark holding the baby. Wanting to take pictures of a sleeping baby doesn't make it any better TBH. For a minute I thought we were going to have a kidnapping.

My thought was that Izzy's friend is the one who's gay and something happened over the summer that was a misunderstanding, but Izzy would know that that was what lay between them. Maybe the friend is attracted to Izzy and is scared by it and so she's overcompensating by starting all these rumors. I feel so sorry for Izzy. I kind of feel sorry for Elena, too, because she wants to get it and she just can't. That clueless story about padding her bra, putting lipstick on Izzy. That wasn't what Izzy needed from her. Good intentions, but a closed mind. I think the dad gets it a little better.

Edited by peggy06
Spelling
  • Love 8
50 minutes ago, meira.hand said:

This was especially upsetting because both her and Bebe were acting as if May Ling was kidnapped. Despite the tragic circumstances Bebe did leave her at the firehouse and the adoption was done in good faith and with love, so despite Bebe's grief, her outrage was really not justified and Mia who knew the people involved behaved outrageously. 

ITA. Bebe, I’m sorry you were suffering and desperate, but you gave up the baby. You no longer have a claim to her. Maybe see if the family will let you in her life and maybe try for visitation?

• Love 15

This was especially upsetting because both her and Bebe were acting as if May Ling was kidnapped. Despite the tragic circumstances Bebe did leave her at the firehouse 

ITA. Bebe, I’m sorry you were suffering and desperate, but you gave up the baby. You no longer have a claim to her. Maybe see if the family will let you in her life and maybe try for visitation?

Absolutely.  Bebe made a deliberate decision to give up May Ling.  It's heartbreaking, but it's what she did.  Mia doesn't seem to want to acknowledge this fact and that really ticks me off.  Now Mia has made Bebe appear to be an unstable lunatic.    

If I were Elena, I'd be super suspicious to find Mia upstairs in the dark holding the baby. Wanting to take pictures of a sleeping baby doesn't make it any better TBH. For a minute I thought we were going to have a kidnapping.

Mia was almost unhinged when she was searching for the red spot on May Ling's head.  I was worried for the baby.  Elena has allowed this stranger way too much access to everything. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
On 3/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, Armchair Critic said:

My daughter has speculated the exact same thing! Guess we'll have to stay tuned (we haven't read the book either)!

• Love 1
On 3/22/2020 at 7:44 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Does Joshua have a really young face?  Or are we just too used to him as Pacey?  Also, Joshua is about to be a dad now in real life too!

He does have a young face. He's in his early 40s and Elena said she and all her friends had kids in their 20s, so he's old enough to be a dad to teens.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Totally agree. As an adult, the bro thing is not my type at all so Moody strikes me as boorish and lame, and I thought watching Before Sunrise after a dance sounded really sweet and fun. But Pearl is a teenager who has had basically no "typical" high school experience, so of course she wants one, and that means the popular jock. Moody is clearly the better pick - he actually likes her as a person and has bothered to get to know her, which Trip has not. But I can see why Pearl would be drawn to Trip. (For those who watched Friday Night Lights, I'm a Matt Saracen girl all day every day. Sensitive hard-working guys do it for me.)

On 3/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, peggy06 said:

I feel so sorry for Izzy. I kind of feel sorry for Elena, too, because she wants to get it and she just can't. That clueless story about padding her bra, putting lipstick on Izzy. That wasn't what Izzy needed from her. Good intentions, but a closed mind. I think the dad gets it a little better.

I think Bill sees Izzy more clearly than Elena does. All Elena sees is "not like me at all and she should be," but Bill seems to see a bit more of Izzy's actual personality.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Apparently the first known use of "woke" was in 2008. 

It's an Erykah Badu lyric from her song "Master Teacher," which came out in 2008. I thought the contrast between Brian and Pearl was really interesting. Brian approaching Pearl essentially saying, "look, these white people are going to say some fucked-up shit [they already have, with that comment about affirmative action and how she must have so much in common with Brian], so if you need someone to talk to about it, I'm here." And Pearl really did genuinely seem clueless, which is very interesting to me because Mia doesn't seem to shy away from talking to Pearl about racism.

I loved the little touch of Mia smoothing Pearl's baby hair with a toothbrush. (It's a Black thing.)

Edited by Empress1
mixed up the Richardson sons' names
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

And Pearl really did genuinely seem clueless, which is very interesting to me because Mia doesn't seem to shy away from talking to Pearl about racism.

This right here is one of my biggest problems with the way the show has written and Washington is performing Mia.  Mia as Pearl's mother, and Pearl and Mia's daughter, doesn't make sense.  Mia and Pearl are close and Mia is protective in her way, but she doesn't shield Pearl.  Pearl knows about what to do with Police stops, her mother seems to have told her about race (and, really, Mia has sex with m en while Pearl is in the car), yet Pearl is truly clueless about everything.  That sort of glaring disconnect really takes me out of this story.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Ooooh chile. Lexie is the worst. I hope that Brian kid stays away from her. He's clearly thinking with his dick, and Lexis like a typical teenage girl is having sex with him to try and keep him. Poor Pearl is all kinds of mixed up and confused. But most of that is on Mia. 

I just finished the fourth episode and I think I'm done. I am finding everyone pretty darn unlikeable. I mean Mia sets in motion a bunch of events and then lets Bebe go to this birthday party while she's screwing their boss. Just ridiculous. And while I can empathize with Bebe, I don't have much sympathy for her. She left at her baby in the freezing cold outside of a fire station; you don't get to come back a year later screaming and accusing people of stealing your baby.

I guess I'm not invested enough of any of these people to understand why they are doing the things they do. None of it makes sense. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wait what?!

Their boss gave Mia a ride home and asked if there was anything he could do to help her take her mind off things because she seemed upset, and then there was a sex scene between them. She kicked him out immediately afterward. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Their boss gave Mia a ride home and asked if there was anything he could do to help her take her mind off things because she seemed upset, and then there was a sex scene between them. She kicked him out immediately afterward. 

Fucking hell, I completely forgot about that part lol.

• LOL 1

Because I'm super nerdy, I watched the "extras" for the episodes too.  Some things that were bugging me (differences between the book and show) were talked about so I liked that.  Though my husband walked in during the baby's party scene and took one look at Kerry Washington (who he LOVED in Scandal) and made a WTF face.  I said, "doesn't it seem that her only emotions are 'about to cry' or 'contempt'" and he agreed and refused to watch it with me. 

The $.70 was interesting, though I really feel that while race does play a part, so does the situation.  For the bus driver, no one knows how many riders he has. It's not like he's going to be "short".  For the clerk, that money may come out of her funds.  I remember my mom was a clerk at a candy store and these bitches from my class would come, try to sweet talk her to help cover their charges for bulk candy.  She thought she was being helpful by paying for it (thinking they were my friends).  I finally had to tell those girls that my mom wasn't stealing from the company, that she was actually paying for it.  Granted, she would never say "F off" to a customer but still. 

Mia ditching at the party was beyond stupid! Like people wouldn't notice that she was gone? Her cover was to take pictures.  

I'm also a little annoyed with "super sexual Mia".  I get it that a lady has needs but something about the way they film it reminds me of a cross between a Black Widow (like she is going to murder the guy after) and this stereotypical Jezebel oversexualized AA woman.  It's making me feel weird.  

Now, as for the kids... ugh, I'm really proud of Brian for standing up to Lexi.  She's a piece of work plus extremely popular.  It must not have been easy for him to say that her essay was wrong. Also, isn't Yale smart enough to see past this? Isn't a student's racial identity part of their application? I know CA had rules later to prevent race being revealed for college applications but I assume Yale would know.  

I had to laugh at the "panic stricken" look on Pearl's face while dancing with Moody who said something to the effect that Pearl makes everything great.  She looked like she was looking for a way out, fast.  She's too young to say upfront that she only likes Moody as a friend.  That takes a lot of self awareness and situational guts. 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

I had to laugh at the "panic stricken" look on Pearl's face while dancing with Moody who said something to the effect that Pearl makes everything great.  She looked like she was looking for a way out, fast.  She's too young to say upfront that she only likes Moody as a friend.  That takes a lot of self awareness and situational guts. 

I personally give Pearl a lot of grace here.  She had probably not been at any school in her life up to that point long enough to have friends, much less any kind of romantic interest.  She's very mature in someways, but way behind the curve when it comes to any kind of interpersonal relationship....and I think she knows it.  She's not a stupid kid, and she's not socially awkward.  So, yeah, she is way over her head, but Mia is really the one who caused that with her constantly moving Pearl around and not really allowing her the time or space she needed to develop those skills.

• Love 4
On 3/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

(like when Trip called him a bitch at dinner and then when Moody said not to call him a bitch, Elena reprimanded Moody for his language but didn't say a word to Trip)

Also classic giving the first born a pass, especially a boy.  Which may also help explain Elena and Izzy's relationship.  As the baby, Izzy should fit the mold that Elean wants her in, another mini her (though Lexi fills that role spectacularly) and Izzy cannot  be that person.  

• Love 1

I actually like how they’ve subtly shown that Joshua Jackson’s character has a deeper relationship with at least Isabelle, then they actually show.  Even when she came out dressed up for homecoming, his expression seemed to imply that he thought there was something more going on.  

While he will always be Pacey to me, JJ was actually one of the only good reasons to watch The Affair.  

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Please remember to keep all book talk in the Book Talk thread.  I've kept posts that have book information under spoiler tags, but from now on any posts with book information in the episode threads will be removed (even if it is under spoiler threads).

For the sake of the episode threads, please assume that the book does not exist.

Thanks!

I feel bad for Moody. I think he is sweet. Plus Trip is always acting like a jerk to him when they are home. Moody and Pearl are the kids I like the best.  I could take or leave Lexi, Trip, and yes even Izzy.

Mia was an idiot for running and telling her about the baby. 

I like that Bill has more of an understanding of Izzy though I do hope Bill gets more to do soon. Still always nice to see Joshua Jackson. 

Reese Witherspoon feels like she is playing a variation on her Big Little Lies character.  Her advice to Izzy was bad but she didn't realize what the whole story was. She has no clue what is going on. 

I liked when Mia and Elena were bonding and laughing while having wine last episode. I'm sure more issues will happen but I like to see them bond more as well.

I don't know how I feel about Mia yet. I don't like her or hate her. 

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 9:39 AM, Cementhead said:

index.jpg.ed3859751ddc160e233abb0dfcb45acb.jpg

He looks like he could be Moodys dad. The whole family looks like they could be related. 

• Love 5
On 3/23/2020 at 11:14 PM, peggy06 said:

I'm so mad at Mia right now! She had to run off and get her friend all worked up about the baby? She couldn't just wait till morning? She had to give her the address, for crying out loud? May Ling wasn't going to disappear overnight.

I was so angry at Mia in that moment.  I can't believe she just let Bebe rush off to that house, bursting in like a potentially dangerous, crazy person.  For someone who seemingly wants to stay below the radar, Mia was so reckless and obvious.  

On 3/22/2020 at 10:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The most I liked him was when he admitted that Debbie's story about Izzy and her friend might be true.

My impression during the episode was that Izzy has told him what happened, and he said nothing to Elena because things are already bad between she and Izzy.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

My thoughts too.

I'm not a mother so maybe I just can't relate but I would have thought it'd be a comfort knowing that her daughter was safe and healthy in a loving home.

I think it's also because of the flashback scenes. I was so scared the baby was gonna die. It hurt me to see her laying in a separate bed in that freezing cold apartment. And then Bebe puts her outside, she could easily have died!

On 3/5/2021 at 1:25 PM, Holmbo said:

My thoughts too.

I'm not a mother so maybe I just can't relate but I would have thought it'd be a comfort knowing that her daughter was safe and healthy in a loving home.

I think it's also because of the flashback scenes. I was so scared the baby was gonna die. It hurt me to see her laying in a separate bed in that freezing cold apartment. And then Bebe puts her outside, she could easily have died!

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it was her only choice, and she couldn't really ask for help, because she was an illegal immigrant. It could also be projection, because she's ashamed and regrets what she did. 

These kids are about five to seven years younger than I am, and I'm feeling all nostalgic, too.  I didn't watch Dawson's Creek, but I like Joshua Jackson. Reese Witherspoon was already a star in 1997. 

On 3/22/2020 at 8:02 AM, Natalie25 said:

Super contrived, but these things tend to happen to move plots along.

Like many things in this story.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:41 PM, Kiki620 said:

Elena has allowed this stranger way too much access to everything. 

Another contrivance.

Watching this show now, non book reader but I'm kind of spoiled.

I don't know if I like it or not. Mia seems like a completely awful person, like just appallingly rude and awful. Like when the dad mowed the lawn and came to the door she says practically nothing, doesn't offer him water even, but then immediately thinks about how she can use him to get a lawyer.

I hate stories about people fighting over babies so I will be fastforwarding through all of that.

Still interested in the rest so far but not sure if I'll make it to the end or not.

I heard it did get renewed for another season.

Like the song at the end of the ep.

Edited by cleo
  • Useful 1
On 3/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, Enero said:

Loved the parallels of Mia’s Chinese co-worker being short $0.70 to buy formula for her baby and the store clerk being indignant and cold, and not just letting her have the formula for the money she had, but told her to leave if she couldn’t pay, while White Izzy gets on a bus and doesn’t have enough money to ride but the bus driver lets her ride anyway.

This is actually the NYC MTA policy.  Their coin counting machines aren't totally accurate, and it would take forever for the bus driver to argue with every person who is short, plus it is extremely dangerous for drivers to keep arguing with potentially crazy people.  They are supposed to let you on the bus if you use any amount of change to protect the driver.  When I have a lot of change, I use this because I don't have to go crazy counting out the exact amount - as long as its close, the bus drivers don't even get annoyed.  They just want you to move so people can keep boarding and they can stay on time with their route.  I read it was the actual MTA policy after some crazy person didn't pay and attacked the driver, who was letting him on without paying but still the guy attacked him.  I think its like how most stores tell employees not to stop potential shoplifters - its too dangerous for anyone but security to deal with it.  

• Useful 1
On 3/21/2020 at 7:27 PM, Enero said:

Agreed. I used “woke” for lack of a better term. But believe me there were plenty of people like Lexi’s boyfriend, teens at that, in the late 90s who were very much aware, and not amused by some of the behaviors and comments they experienced that were similar to what we see here from the Richardson’s and others. 

I don’t blame Pearl for her naivety. I think this can be mostly attributed to her living like a nomad, I’m assuming for as long as she can remember-15-16 years. 

I don't really see an issue with your use of the word "woke" here. Brian has had years of experience going to his friend's homes and having their parents assume he loves hip-hop and basketball, awkwardly referring to him as an Afro-American. 

While I don't think Pearl is clueless about racism and bias, I do agree that her nomadic lifestyle hasn't given her opportunities to put her discernment into practice. She recognizes some more obvious things but has a hard time recognizing microaggressions, especially coming from Elena, whom she idolizes. 

On 3/22/2020 at 9:43 PM, Haleth said:

Exotic??

If something is different to you, it can seem exotic. 

On 3/25/2020 at 3:03 PM, OtterMommy said:

This right here is one of my biggest problems with the way the show has written and Washington is performing Mia.  Mia as Pearl's mother, and Pearl and Mia's daughter, doesn't make sense.  Mia and Pearl are close and Mia is protective in her way, but she doesn't shield Pearl.  Pearl knows about what to do with Police stops, her mother seems to have told her about race (and, really, Mia has sex with men while Pearl is in the car), yet Pearl is truly clueless about everything.  That sort of glaring disconnect really takes me out of this story.

Pearl knowing what to do when the police stop them is completely different from knowing how to navigate nuanced social situations. Kids her age are still figuring things out and it doesn't seem like she's been allowed to stay anywhere long enough to develop her social skills beyond her natural sweetness and good manners.

Similarly, Mia having sex while infant Pearl was in the car isn't the same as 15-year-old Pearl being at ease with boys. She's aware that her mother has sexual relations with whomever she wants but there's no mention of any social, familiar, or romantic relationships in their lives.

The show has its issues but I don't see Pearl as being truly clueless. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:25 PM, OtterMommy said:

I personally give Pearl a lot of grace here.  She had probably not been at any school in her life up to that point long enough to have friends, much less any kind of romantic interest.  She's very mature in someways, but way behind the curve when it comes to any kind of interpersonal relationship....and I think she knows it.  She's not a stupid kid, and she's not socially awkward.  So, yeah, she is way over her head, but Mia is really the one who caused that with her constantly moving Pearl around and not really allowing her the time or space she needed to develop those skills.

Yes, I give Pearl a lot of grace here, too. She's had to grow up fast because of her mother's choices. And she's smart and naturally social but hasn't had the chance to be herself. 

• Like 1