Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Doubting Polygamy

• Start Topic

Foreshadowing!
The drama of the impending sale of Kody and Robyn’s house (because that’s what it is).  The “no place to gather!!!!” The dismissal of Meri’s huge house as a gathering place.  The shades of Kody mentioning that he was told just to sit on the raw land for a few years then sell it and he’ll be RICH!!!!!!  
All leading to no construction on Prairie Dog Plague land. 
And more seasons cuz they will drag this out forever.  
ETA the ultrasound tech sounded just like Dr. Lola on My 600 Pound Life. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, MV713 said:

If  kids are in college full time, you do not have to emancipate them until they graduate.

Helper is an apprentice, and that is a unioned position here in NY/NJ area as well as Im sure across US.  My ex was a helper when we got married in 92 and made approx 45-50K then as a helper, worked up the ranks in the union and now makes over 200K as a foreman.  

I think the word “helper” was the issue.  Sort of like when little kids are asked to “help” the adults with the dishes or the yard work!  “Apprentice” or even “a union job” would have sounded better.  But like I said, good for him.  Thanks for the info.

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

So whose property actually has the one well? 

This is what I thought as well.  Even in my area...where under ground water is plentiful, multiple wells need to be drilled for separate house/barn etc uses.  NO way in Arizona can one well function for more than one house let ALONE multiple properties.  They keep acting on camera like they have one big property to build/live on when in actuality they are four separate properties with four separate property lines.  Even if a well is drilled in place on one property doesn't even mean that it is good enough to function for 100% usage for a household.  If my area has a drought, loads of country folks have to drag their laundry to town because you don't want to risk your well going dry. This group is accustomed to using water from the municipality, so going from that to a country well can be a heck of a shock.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

"Janelle may have visions of Kody in a sylvan setting prancing about in the waterfall created by the galvanized pipes that feed this retention pond. "

In his Speedo!

And to get her all hot and bothered, he must wear his hair in a pony tail !

• LOL 11
15 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

What I find most disturbing is that Kody would be friends with an accused wife beater and he would be featured on the show.   It was very telling that Kody mentioned holding on to the land and then selling it and making a lot of money. Could this be what he is planning?  Robyn mentioned twice in their "adult" sit-down that the money from the sale of her house is in the bank and it is considered "family money".  Yeah of course, don't they need the proceeds from all 4 sales to build again plus a lot more?  Robyn snapping at Meri in the coming attractions surprised me, usually she is shy about going against or confronting a sister wife.  I am sick of Christine's fake love all things family when deep down inside she is thinking "don't get too close to me or my kids and house."  She is phony IMO.  Again I question why Meri is hanging on.

I still think they used the equity in the Vegas homes to pay for the land. And if said land had real development value - no restrictions, it would've sold to a developer before Kody bought it. 

I haven't watched the episode, but I'm not surprised that Kody is buds with a polygamist wife beater.  I only caught the last 5 minutes of the show, and Kody really seems to be becoming surly, violent, and angry. What a difference from the very first episode when he was always smiling and happy looking. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 14

Thinking back... I think Meri's house is not really viewed as 'kid/family friendly' because of all those stairs. And there's likely no good outdoor space for the kids to run around. Although i guess we never really saw the yard space Robyn's house had. 

And now I can kind of see why they ended up buying a house for Robyn instead of renting. Kicked out of one house, now this one is selling, plus they already moved Janelle a 2nd time. I'd probably want to make sure I didn't have to move until I'm ready too. 

And Christine was so obviously irritated when Meri and Janelle agreed that the bio mom gets to hear the news first and keep a secret with their child. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Dmarie019 said:

And Christine was so obviously irritated when Meri and Janelle agreed that the bio mom gets to hear the news first and keep a secret with their child. 

This is one of those times when they want to have it both ways. Janelle gets to know about her kids pregnancies first, but Christine was a much more hands on mother with Maddie when Maddie was 15 and younger.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, NotinKansasanymore said:

Also loved how Kody blamed Christine for Robyn’s negative reaction to the one house. Well played Robyn!! Well played. 

I forgot about that.  Robyn has had Kody snipped and carries his man-parts around in her purse, and has zero problems throwing any of the other wives under the bus to make herself look better.  Evil, she is.  EVIL.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

What I find most disturbing is that Kody would be friends with an accused wife beater and he would be featured on the show.

Disturbing but not, in my mind, surprising.  While the sheep wives entered this mess willingly, I have to say that I feel the whole "keep sweet", do as I say or I'm kicking you off my planet" is a form of mental abuse.  None of them are supposed to have independent thought and Kootie seems shocked to learn that they do.  This flies in the face of the whole premise of Kootie the Prophet as Appointed by God claptrap that he  used early on. 

It's not that much of a leap to believe he thinks that physical abuse is warranted by the chosen-by-God subservient wife's non-subservient behaviors.  So he may think that Kyle is justified.  Why else would he not only acquaint himself with this ass but declare him a friend?

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

I am sick of Christine's fake love all things family when deep down inside she is thinking "don't get too close to me or my kids and house."  She is phony IMO

Agreed. I always thought she was a big phony. At least now she's standing up for herself about not wanting to build "The Big House".

2 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Again I question why Meri is hanging on.

The TLC paycheck. 

• Love 16

Meri herself admits to having an abundance of space.  But then - there was dead air, and Robyn was like, "well, anywho."  Later, Meri posed the hypothetical question to Robyn regarding if she'd like it if Meri moved in with her, and Robyn replied, "it would be..............interesting."  The subtext behind all of this is so odd - they admit to being financially strapped, but yet - heaven forbid - they even move in temporarily with each other for the benefit of the entire family.  

This is completely baffling to me. Robin and Meri are supposed to the sister wives who get along the best. Weren't they besties? And now they can't even temporarily share a home even though it would save the family thousands of dollars? Meri is only one person with no kids at home. Surely Meri could live with Robin and her kids for a year. I think the real problem is that Kody doesn't want to live with Meri or even be at Meri's house, and since Kody is primarily living with Robin, that means that Robin can't live with Meri.

• Useful 5
  • Love 13

Yep, one well ain't gonna cut it. They will  need four wells, each on the property it serves. Wells can be very expensive here, especially if the ground is rocky. Same with separate septic tanks and leech fields for each house. They would also need to dig trenches for electricity; that gets expensive for the houses away from the main road.

And yes, the pond is for area drainage and they won't be able to modify or block it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Meri in the snow: “This is cold!”

That’s what happens when you wear LuLaRags and flimsy boots not designed to keep you warm. Try channeling Robyn or Christine who were wearing, you know, WARM boots and coats. Those furry boots looked cute too—ACTUAL #FlagstaffFashion

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

Foreshadowing!
The drama of the impending sale of Kody and Robyn’s house (because that’s what it is).  The “no place to gather!!!!” The dismissal of Meri’s huge house as a gathering place.  The shades of Kody mentioning that he was told just to sit on the raw land for a few years then sell it and he’ll be RICH!!!!!!  
All leading to no construction on Prairie Dog Plague land. 
And more seasons cuz they will drag this out forever.  
ETA the ultrasound tech sounded just like Dr. Lola on My 600 Pound Life. 

No place to gather, snork.

"Oh noes! Where will this group of people who can barely stand each other gather for canapes and scones?!"

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, MollyBrown said:

Well that Kyle gave off major creeper vibes even before I found out he was a wife beater. 

If we discovered that Mr Ponga's best friend had beat his wife, I can assure you that not only would I never greet him with a cheery "Hi Kyle, how're you doing?", but Mr Ponga would never have anything to do with him ever again. Because shrugging that kind of crap away is not an appropriate response.

Poo trod-upon  Kody. His life is just soooooooo difficult. If ever there was an episode all about "how Kody's life sucks", this was it. Because he just can't get his way about every little thing.

Dude is an ass.

I would have loved to have seen the reaction of his wives when they heard him say that only one of them is cut out for polygamy. Way to slam three of them. It may be true, but to hear your husband say it? Yikes.

The news in Canada reported in the last couple of days that Utah is set to decriminalize polygamy. Does that mean we can expect them to uproot the whole family yet again and move back to Utah?

And I'm confused about Coyote Pass again. They talked in this episode about having multiple lots, and building individual houses on each lot. How could they have ever thought they'd be allowed to build one ginormous house on the lots? There is no way that would ever be a simple permitting adjustment.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

And I'm confused about Coyote Pass again

Here's my theory - the slick woman who unloaded the unsalable B&B on Meri (and laughed all the way to the bank) sold Kootie Prairie Dog Plains as well knowing that they'd never in a million years build there.  They'd never get a zoning variance for the Plyg Palace and they'd never be able to afford building four homes from scratch even if they could afford the infrastructure costs either way. 

Then they default and she can sell it again!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

Last night I heard Robyn say that she wrote a book that made it onto The NY Times bestsellers list.  Does anyone know anything about that book? I searched on Amazon but the only book I saw written by a Robyn Brown was a book of poems. There was not even one reader’s review on it. I find it hard to believe that it became a NY Times bestseller unless fans of the show are crazy enough about her to buy it.

Edited by A-Lo
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, A-Lo said:

Last night I heard Robyn say that she wrote a book that made it onto The NY Times bestsellers list.  Does anyone know anything about that book? I searched on Amazon but the only book I saw written by a Robyn Brown was a book of poems. There was not even one reader’s review on it. I find it hard to believe that it became a NY Times bestseller unless fans of the show are crazy enough about her to buy it.

It’s called Becoming Sister Wives and it’s a book by all four of the wives about their marriage and backgrounds. None of them wrote it. Some ghostwriter took what they had to say and did the actually writing. Robin makes it sound like she is JK Rowling or Nora Roberts. She has re-written the story in her head so that she is now a best selling writer the same way she had that horrid picture made of the kids from her first marriage as toddler age with Kody. Also, it’s not hard to make it on the best seller’s list anymore. Lots of people with fans or who have an addenda to push buy up the books in bulk to get it on the best seller list. I could see TLC doing that for the publicity. 

Edited by MakingBacon
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

It’s called Becoming Sister Wives and it’s a book by all four of the wives about their marriage and backgrounds. None of them wrote it. Some ghostwriter took what they had to say and did the actually writing. Robin makes it sound like she is JK Rowling or Nora Roberts. She has re-written the story in her head so that she is now a best selling writer the same way she had that horrid picture made of the kids from her first marriage as toddler age with Kody. Also, it’s not hard to make it on the best seller’s list anymore. Lots of people with fans or who has an addenda to push but up the books in bulk to get it on the best seller list. I could see TLC doing that for tinge publicity. 

Thanks for the explanation! I saw the book you mentioned but it had only Kody listed as the author.

Edited by A-Lo
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

It is gonna be lit next week when Robyn refuses, you hear me REFUSES, to speak ill of her sister wife Meri. Can't wait! 

In the preview for next weeks episode Kody is BEYOND PISSED that Robyn is given last choice of where her house will go on the lots at Coyote Pass.  Never mind that they each legally purchased a specific lot.  Apparently now they are re-choosing house sites and Robyn got last choice.  Of course Kody will be mad at this because he spends all his time at Robyn's house, so in essence HE is getting the worst location.  Clearly in his mind Meri should get the worst choice lot.  It is obvious he hates Meri.

Edited by smarty2020
  • Love 18
9 minutes ago, smarty2020 said:

In the preview for next weeks episode Kody is BEYOND PISSED that Robyn is given last choice of where her house will go on the lots at Coyote Pass.

The previews, as we know, rarely reflect the actual episode.  Bait and switch at its worst.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

If we discovered that Mr Ponga's best friend had beat his wife, I can assure you that not only would I never greet him with a cheery "Hi Kyle, how're you doing?", but Mr Ponga would never have anything to do with him ever again. Because shrugging that kind of crap away is not an appropriate response.

I read the write-up from The Salt Lake Tribune about how the whole issue was eventually adjudicated.

“...Mitchell Kyle Henderson, 50, entered a plea in abeyance on two counts and was sentenced to what is effectively a probation.

Fourth District Judge Christine Johnson will dismiss both counts if he obeys all laws for 12 months and pays a $400 fee. Henderson had been charged with six felonies for assault, domestic violence and witness tampering...”

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/2018/12/06/domestic-violence-case/

The really juicy part is in the comments section where one of their 13 children takes umbrage at folks who think his Dad is guilty, and those who bag on polygamy in general. Apparently the 5 oldest children from their 24 year marriage were prepared to testify for their father!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

When did Maddie find out that Evie had a generic disorder?  I thought I read they found it during her ultrasound, but then we saw the ultrasound on this episode and there was no mention of her abnormalities.  

It's a vanity boutique. I don't think they have the skills to actually do anything more than say boy or girl and tell you to see your OBGYN. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

When did Maddie find out that Evie had a generic disorder?  I thought I read they found it during her ultrasound, but then we saw the ultrasound on this episode and there was no mention of her abnormalities.  

During Maddie's pregnancy the doctors said Evie would be missing a digit or two but when Evie was born they saw that it was much worse than they expected and she had several deformities of her hands, legs and feet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

Poo trod-upon  Kody. His life is just soooooooo difficult. If ever there was an episode all about "how Kody's life sucks", this was it. Because he just can't get his way about every little thing.

Dude is an ass.

I would have loved to have seen the reaction of his wives when they heard him say that only one of them is cut out for polygamy. Way to slam three of them. It may be true, but to hear your husband say it? Yikes.

The news in Canada reported in the last couple of days that Utah is set to decriminalize polygamy. Does that mean we can expect them to uproot the whole family yet again and move back to Utah?

And I'm confused about Coyote Pass again. They talked in this episode about having multiple lots, and building individual houses on each lot. How could they have ever thought they'd be allowed to build one ginormous house on the lots? There is no way that would ever be a simple permitting adjustment.

They will only move back to Utah if Robyn can get Day-Un into the college of his choice there.

Completely agree with you in your first paragraph.  Now cynical me is wondering if Kootie got his plyg pal on the show because he needs the money.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

This was actually an interesting episode.

Kody doesn't get his way and this THIS makes him doubt his lifestyle. 

With all the proclamations of terrible news and hand wringing Robyn/Kody did, I thought they were gonna announce that someone had died. What a pair of dramatic bitches! Granted I know Robyn has the youngest and most kids at home but they act like her kids live in glass bubbles and can't be moved. 

It is gonna be lit next week when Robyn refuses, you hear me REFUSES, to speak ill of her sister wife Meri. Can't wait! 

I officially think Meri is trolling her sister wives. I for one am here for it! You would think Meri were asking them if they wanted to gather at Hell's Gates for casseroles the way they reacted to her offering her house up for gatherings. 

Can we get an update on Ysabel?

I’d rather see how Ysabel is doing versus more Maddie and Caleb baby crap. I was so bored with those two I fast-forwarded after the first few minutes. 

Yawn. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, LotusFlower said:

There’s NO WAY Robyn will get the worst lot (the one in the trees, I assume).  Watch - she’ll end up getting the best lot - the largest, with the unobstructed mountain view, or I’ll buy you all a wet bar.  

THIS!!  Kody is MAD that his FOURTH wife had FOURTH choice?  Probably because she has WHOPPER tantrums behind closed doors when she doesn't get what she wants.  Although she doesn't always do it behind closed doors.  I'll bet her sister wives are SOOOOO over her!

• Love 16

I know this is common knowledge, but I just need to say again that Kody is such a douchebag, martyr, immature, asshole. I want to hear him tell his wives to "suck it up" just to see if any of them has the balls to actually leave him. I don't have a clue why the hell Meri is hanging around. It doesn't sound like she and Kody are living together at all, and they have no minor children together. And she has her own source of income. 

And for all Janelle's love of the one house idea, wasn't she the one who left the family for 3 years with her kids because she couldn't stand it anymore?

• Love 17

What's up with Robyn saying they are like sisters with one brother when they're all together?  Then comes Kody's talking head to say he's a "little" brother and if it weren't for his sheer stark, masculine confidence he would just wither.  🤮  

• LOL 22