Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter Eight - Redemption

• Start Topic

I loved everything about this episode! From Apollo Greef’s “do the hand thing!” (I’ll admit, I thought that myself!) to the troopers missing when it was RIGHT THERE to Baby YODA KICKING ASS with that force fire, this was an amazing finale. 

My only beef was Gideon’s “I will give you until sunset to make your decision “. 🙄

The only thing missing from that was Dr Evil’s sharks with fricking laser beams on their heads. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, SueB said:

SOJDALc.jpgThe two Imps were comedians; I thought they were pretty funny.  Although I'm glad to seem them crispy after hurting The Child.

Even these idiots knew that bringing Baby Yoda in warm would go better for THEM...so there must be 2 Gideons...a murderous rogue clone and a scheming original....

Greef: Mando, did he say your real name is Dutch?

Edited by paigow

I am a fan of the Star Wars movies but not enough to recite lines. I think I've watched them all except for the animated versions.

I don't understand how Moff Gideon knows The Mandalorians real name. I thought their planet was destroyed and when Mando was adopted/rescued they were nomadic. I mean am I wrong to not believe that an office of Vital Statistics on Mandalorians existed? Wouldn't his real name only have been known by a select few by word of mouth and not documented?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I know I'm in the minority here but I wish they had kept that helmet on - it was much more intriguing to create one's own version of the Mandalorian. But I can see (he!) why that was never going to happen.

I kind of agree. It was nice seeing Pedro, but if they'd kept Mando's helmet on till the middle or end of next season, I'd have been ok with that. 

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Chyromaniac said:

Man, I really don't get the "filler" complaints with this series.  First from a practical perspective, if these episodes are good, does it really matter if they advance some overarching narrative?  As far as I'm concerned, every one of these shows has been fun to watch.  I like that the stories have been mostly distinct adventures - and even if they borrow heavily from traditional themes of old westerns, or other tales of wandering lone heroes, the show has told them well.

Only 4, 5, and 6 are the 3 of the 8 which get complaints as far as I can tell.

4 - "Sanctuary" is, IMO, the root cause.  It IS "Seven Samurai", which would be fine if it that hadn't been redone so MANY times on on just about every genre show.  It didn't take a student of film to pick up the plot reuse straight away.  5 and 6 are western lone gunslinger stories but less well trod.  However 4 set up 5 & 6 to get scrutinized more closely for tropes. 5 introduces Ming Na, I'm ready for that.  6's story is completely consistent with character backstory and the ruthless way Mando interprets his code works for me.  But 4 was the one that IMO deserved criticism and it brought down 5 & 6. 

I guess it's a good thing Baby Yoda was unconscious after using the Force on the fireball.  He would have crawled over to Mando and been upset.  And then I would have had to get more kleenix:(  And Mando wouldn't have allowed him to try to heal him - more kleenix!!

• Love 7

I can finally sleep at night knowing that Baby Yoda is back with Mando again! Their clan of two, oh my heart, it caught the feels! This show is so freaking good, I would happily watch several more episodes of this season, it sucks that we have to wait for a season two. But what a season two it shall be! 

I was cracking up so hard at the beginning with the two working stiff Stormtroopers, and their terrible aim (a requirement of any Stormtrooper!) and their non pulsed reaction to their boss randomly killing his underlings. Yeah Moff Gideon went and killed another soldier who interrupted him and now its a whole backlog we have to deal with... No wonder The Empire fell, they keep killing their own people for no freaking season! But thats The Empire for you, if they have to choose between being practical or being evil, nine times out of ten, they choose evil. 

Dont punch Baby Yoda! I will reach through the TV and get your asses! Luckily though, IG-11 was there to do that for me! I was so sad to see him go, but at least he went out protecting Baby Yoda. Even Mando (or should we say Din Djarin?) was sad to see him go! I was also hoping that maybe Kuiil might be alive, but it was not meant to be. At least Mando gave him a proper burial before he left. 

So Cara is from Alderon, no wonder she hates The Empire so much, they destroyed her whole homeworld just to prove how evil they are! I know some people talked about her maybe betraying Mando, but I am really glad that she didnt. Glad that she and Greef are going to be hanging out for awhile, now that all the scum and villainy are gone, hopefully they can all meet up again soon! 

"Do the magic hand thing!" "Thats not how The Force works!"-Han Solo 

I also hope we see The Armorer again, she seems pretty badass and I am obsessed with her fabulous Mandalorian outfit. You must wear some stylish wool on top of your armor, it is the way. 

Awww Baby Yoda going up to Mando like "Daaaaaad pick me uuuuuuppp" was so cute! His little giggles while IG-11 will hopefully be enough cute to get through the hiatus! 

And finally, Mando gets his jetpack! 

• Love 24

They "John Wick'ed" those two asshole storm troopers at the beginning.  You gotta have the audience on your side if you kill even two throwaway characters that brutally.  Them punching the child several times did it for me. And they murdered Kuill, who was a wise man and a saint! 

I don't actually want to know 100 percent certain where the child and Yoda came from.  I don't want it ever to be confirmed.  And I find it hard to believe that Dave Feloni, who is after all a protege of Lucas, would go against Lucas' wishes and vision.

I prefer the child to stay with Mando and if I had to guess I am leaning towards the baby being the last of his kind.

I will miss the droid, he had just gotten awesome and he was the last creation we had left of Kuill.

When the baby hugged Mando's leg and wanted to be lifted up I melted.

• Love 11
On 12/27/2019 at 8:24 PM, SueB said:

SOJDALc.jpgIt's Emily Swallow.  She does a great job as The Armorer.

I loved everything about her scenes.  The gifts to Mando. Declaring them a clan of two.  Her commitment to The Way.  Mando is going to live his life based on her guidance.  I'm guessing The Armorer is as close to the Mandolorian Culture has to a Spiritual leader.  Just everything was perfect: The signet, the clan of two, get more supplies, and of course the jet pak.  *sigh* I didn't know I needed Mando to have a jet pak til she gave him one.

The two Imps were comedians; I thought they were pretty funny.  Although I'm glad to seem them crispy after hurting The Child.  I too was bummed IG-11 died.  He was a perfect nannybot.  

Off to rewatch this a bunch of times. 

Im going to be shallow here. There is no way they cast that actress to let her die without seeing her face.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sadiegirl1999 said:

“do the hand thing!” (I’ll admit, I thought that myself!)

Same here. (It also made me think about when Nick Fury did something similar in Captain Marvel.)

The little one doesn’t really break out the force unless he’s pretty darn sure it’s needed. And he also doesn’t seem to be afraid of what most people would probably think is a lot of danger. Not sure if that is just because he’s a kid, or if he just has a sense for things. 

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, The Kings Foot said:

Im going to be shallow here. There is no way they cast that actress to let her die without seeing her face.

She didn't die. But my big question, why? There's a lot of notable names in the show. Some are covered in armour, some in alien latex. Why does Emily Swallow stand out?

On 12/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, Kostgard said:

Also, what is the Armorer talking about tangling with Jedi centuries ago? Wasn’t it a few decades ago?

It’s possible she was referring to events from Knights of the Old Republic;  thousands of years prior to Star Wars, the Mandalorians led a crusade against the Old Republic.   While the Jedi Council urged restraint and patience, many Jedi believed the Mandalorians an urgent threat and rushed off to meet them in battle. 

• Useful 3
56 minutes ago, jcin617 said:

It’s possible she was referring to events from Knights of the Old Republic;  thousands of years prior to Star Wars, the Mandalorians led a crusade against the Old Republic.   While the Jedi Council urged restraint and patience, many Jedi believed the Mandalorians an urgent threat and rushed off to meet them in battle. 

Interesting. I remember seeing stories several months ago that there was a Knights of the Old Republic project in the early stages of development. It makes sense they would throw in a potential Easter egg here. 

12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I noticed that the Baby had an excited reaction each time the Armorer said that Mando (I’m still going to call him that!) was now his father.

They'll always be Mando and Baby Yoda to me, even though I'm supposed to be referring to them as Din and The Child!

I also thought that Baby's little noises might be evolving too.  Not only is he getting more vocal as time goes on, but he is adding in some chirpy, odd sounds to his repertoire, to go along with the giggling, incoherent chatter, cooing and infrequent crying.  Maybe the noises aren't quite chirpy -- that might not be the right word -- but they're different from the usual noises we hear from him.  When he was hugging Mando's leg, he sort of made one of those noises.  I think he also made a more audible sound of that sort when he and Mando were flying up into the air and Baby was peering over Mando's shoulder.

Whatever Baby does, he is adorable.  He can do no wrong.  But I wonder what the different sounds are going to transition into.  Maybe they are building up to him eventually forming words.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I can finally sleep at night knowing that Baby Yoda is back with Mando again! Their clan of two, oh my heart, it caught the feels! This show is so freaking good, I would happily watch several more episodes of this season, it sucks that we have to wait for a season two. But what a season two it shall be! 

I agree 100%. I can't wait for season 2. I just hope Disney + isn't like Netflix and takes a year or longer before we get the next season :-( 

I noticed when Din was rescued by the Mandalorian and they lifted off the ground it was a mirror image of Din/Mando lifting off the ground with baby Yoda.

I need a t-shirt!

• Love 9

If the Stormtroopers have just as poor hand-to-hand combat skills as they do aim, it's entirely possible that they never actually punched Baby Yoda at all and all they did was shake the bag he was in.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

Man, I really don't get the "filler" complaints with this series.  First from a practical perspective, if these episodes are good, does it really matter if they advance some overarching narrative?  As far as I'm concerned, every one of these shows has been fun to watch.  I like that the stories have been mostly distinct adventures - and even if they borrow heavily from traditional themes of old westerns, or other tales of wandering lone heroes, the show has told them well.

I've enjoyed all the episodes this season. None of it felt like filler to me. Some of the episodes critics have called filler (e.g., Chapter 4 and Chapter 6) have been my favorites of the season. And judging by the final 2 episodes, those earlier ones did serve a purpose: introducing new characters and having Mandalorian build relationships and trust with them, so he could call on them when he went back to Nevarro.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I've enjoyed all the episodes this season. None of it felt like filler to me. Some of the episodes critics have called filler (e.g., Chapter 4 and Chapter 6) have been my favorites of the season. And judging by the final 2 episodes, those earlier ones did serve a purpose: introducing new characters and having Mandalorian build relationships and trust with them, so he could call on them when he went back to Nevarro.

I totally agree.  Chapter 6 is the one that felt the most disconnected from the rest of the season (to me).  I enjoyed it, for sure, but it's the one that seemed to be more of a standalone thing than the others.   And yet... I don't actually think Chapter 6 was totally disconnected at all, because I think we will see someone from that episode in another episode down the road.  There were too many characters introduced in that single episode to not think that at least one of them will pop up again.

Episode 4 paid off because that was how we met Cara, and Cara is now an important part of the show, in this season and I'm assuming the next one too.  We also met Omera, who we didn't see again this season but I think we will see again -- if not in Season 2, then in Season 3 (if there is a Season 3).

As for Episode 5 (an episode that a lot of people either say was filler, or say they didn't like)... we didn't find out who it was that found Fennec this season -- but we're obviously going to find out sooner or later.  That scene wasn't put in there just to leave us wondering without ever finding out.  I also strongly believe we are going to see Peli (Amy Sedaris) again, as she could be very useful to Mando/Din.  In fact, if Mando goes back to Tatooine and sees Peli, we might get the answer to the "who found Fennec" question in the same episode.

I don't think that any of the episodes are or were truly filler at all.  It's the first season, so there was a lot of set-up and laying the groundwork for what is to come, in my opinion.  Certain things may have not paid off or become more clear in this season, but there is at least one more season to go.

Edited by TVFan17
typos!
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I agree 100%. I can't wait for season 2. I just hope Disney + isn't like Netflix and takes a year or longer before we get the next season 😞 

I noticed when Din was rescued by the Mandalorian and they lifted off the ground it was a mirror image of Din/Mando lifting off the ground with baby Yoda.

I need a t-shirt!

I wore my Baby Yoda tee shirt the other day, and it was a real conversation starter. Everyone loves the Baby! 😁

• Love 8

Man, this show was fantastic - the best new show of the year for me. This episode and episode three are the standouts for me. 

Things I loved this episode:
1. The idiot stormtroopers. It was a short exchange but they will live on in infamy as the dumbasses who hit Baby Yoda but not a rock three feet away.

2.IG-11 rescuing Baby Yoda. He was awesome in every scene he graced this season. I wish he hadn’t “died”.

3. Carl Weathers. “Do the magic hands!” Drinking shots......love him.....

4. Mando taking down that Tie Fighter with a freaking jet pack! Also, we saw his face!

4. The Armorer being a total badass. I hope we see her again.

5. Every time Baby Yoda is on screen. I want to squeeze him! Him flicking that flame away was everything!

Can’t wait for season two. One question: What did Mando do that earned him his signet? Was it rescuing Baby Yoda? Someone with more Star Wars knowledge please enlighten me!

• Love 12

Clearly the biker troopers blasters are designed to be fired while mounted and moving at high speed, explaining how they managed to take out a fast moving target while pursuing on speeder bikes but couldn't hit a stationary target a few feet away.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
55 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

. One question: What did Mando do that earned him his signet? Was it rescuing Baby Yoda? Someone with more Star Wars knowledge please enlighten me!

It was a mudhorne, the signet that the armorer originally wanted to give him. When she found out the true story, that it was the "Clan of Two" that defeated it, she deemed him worthy. And, unlike the first time, Mando did not object.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Clearly the biker troopers blasters are designed to be fired while mounted and moving at high speed, explaining how they managed to take out a fast moving target while pursuing on speeder bikes but couldn't hit a stationary target a few feet away.

Blurgs / Blerrgs are not fast moving targets...they probably had to get along side before scoring any hits...then had to kill an unconscious Nick Nolte point blank

• Love 1

That was a lot of fun. Although considering the guy who directed Thor Ragnarok I shouldn't be too surprised.

And like I said before I love the design of the IG-11. Works so well for something designed to hunt.

But I was kind of disappointed. When the armourer was hammering out the signet thing I thought for a second she was making some tiny Mandalorian armour for Baby Yoda.

Also I don't think I have seen Gina Carano in much of anything since the American Gladiators reboot from 2008 so nice to see she actually has some acting skills.

• Love 4

Something came up this weekend, but finally got time to finish this!  I did get spoiled by a few minor things, but overall, it wasn't enough to ruin the awesomeness!

I could definitely tell that Taika Waititi was in the director's chair here by the opening act, because that bit with the Stormtroopers was totally in his wheelhouse.  I love how the Stormtroopers are allowed to have personalities now, and aren't just mindless bodies to get shot up all the time.  That said, those two were totally doomed the moment they punched Baby Yoda.  These poor villains who don't realize that harming Baby Yoda is any way is an automatic death sentence!  Cool that they were voiced by Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally.  This show does seems to like casting comedians in guest roles, which has to be pretty cool for them, since I imagine many of them are Star Wars fans, but the films are likely not an option since TPTB probably want to keep things more "serious" over there.  But it seems like Jon Favreau and crew don't mind here!  I can't wait to see who will show up next season!

Whelp, it is official: Mando is Baby Yoda's dad now, due to Mandolorian creed!  "It is the way", indeed!  We also get his name finally, but I'll likely still be calling him Mando for a while.  Surprised we did see him unmasked briefly, because I figured that would be saved for much later.  I did like the workaround being in front of IG-ll, who technically isn't a "living being."

Speaking of which, fare thee well, buddy.  I figured there would be at least one more death after Kuill, but at least he went out taking down a whole bunch of Stormtroopers!  But if they still want to use Waititi for more voice work going forward, I'm sure they could always bring in other IG models at some point.

Baby Yoda is always the best, Greef/Carl Weathers was stealing some scenes here with all of his one-liners and reactions to everything.

While I still think her line delivery can be a bit stiff, I do think Gina Carano is actually pretty good with her facial acting and showing emotions.  She really sold Cara's reaction to Mando getting injured.

Glad that the Armorer isn't out of play.  Like Pedro Pascal, Emily Swallow is doing a bang-up job conveying a lot through her voice alone.

Man, I don't know what the budget is, but Jetpack Mando vs. Moff Gideon's TIE fighter could give some of the action sequences in the films a run for their money.

Not surprised that Moff survived, but I wasn't expecting him to have a lightsaber!  Really curious to see what his deal is.  I didn't think anyone would top Werner Herzog in the baddie department, but damn if Giancarlo Esposito isn't starting to prove me wrong.  Dude knows how to play a stone-cold, but strangely charismatic villain!  The scene when he was just casually walking during the middle of the gunfight and picking his moments to shoot Mando was exactly how I imagine Gus Fring would be like if he was in this universe!

Overall, a pretty great first season; warts and all; and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Mando and Baby Yoda's wacky adventures!  Hopefully we'll get more of Cara, Greef, and the Armorer too.  And bring back some of the one-offs that are still around, like the heist crew.  And I still wonder if Ming-Na's assassin will end up being not so dead after-all.

Biggest disappointed will be the waiting game for next season.  Maybe I should check out the Clone Wars show, since I heard good things about it.

• Love 10

Really good episode and I agree, a lot of fun!  The Mandalorian has been a great addition to the Star Wars universe.  I wish the season wasn't over but am glad to hear that it will be back in the fall.  I appreciate anytime a cable or streaming series can return in less than a year.  Still too long of a wait but still...

Some great action with the shootout and Mando finally getting his jetpack.  The Armorer smashing stormtrooper armor was pretty awesome to see.

It's Pedro!  Nice to see him actually under the mask though I wouldn't have been surprised if they had CGI'd his face from another location...

Cara being from Alderaan was a fantastic, matter-of-fact reveal that does go a long way to explaining why she is who she is.

"Do the magic hand thing!"  Carl was great fun in this series, especially working off of Baby Yoda.  He'll be directing an episode last season.

Baby Yoda remains adorable and I'm so glad they are keeping the format of him and the Mandalorian traveling together.  Don't ruin a winning formula.  Here's hoping we will get to meet his people though.

I actually thought the stormtrooper that punched Baby Yoda sounded like Seth MacFarlene.  But Jason Sudekis is pretty great.

I liked seeing some live-action Clone Wars scenes in Mando's flashbacks.

The darksaber!  I certainly wasn't expecting this.  It's first appearance was in The Clone Wars animated series and featured heavily both there and especially Star Wars Rebels.  I would definitely recommend The Clone Wars, an animated series I loved.  I would recommend Star Wars Rebels as well, which I really enjoyed.

A few notes on the darksaber, it was created by George Lucas for The Clone Wars, where Dave Filoni was the supervising director (and GL's right hand) and the arc where it made it's first appearance featured Jon Favreau as a Mandalorian.  So it's something the showrunners of The Mandalorian are quite familiar with.  That story arc also featured Death Watch, which were the Mandalorians whom rescued Din.  The symbol that Baby Yoda was holding up was from that group.

Great first season, I can't wait for more!

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

WOW. That's my one word review of this episode, and largely of the series. The opening sequence alone, the battle, was outstanding. One minor quibble, which I can't NOT deal with. Why did Gideon give them until sunset exactly? The answer seems to be that basically this is an old Western movie trope: protagonists held up in an untenable position against antagonist forces who have either better position or leverage in some way. It's a trope because it's a cool storytelling device, raising the tension as we try to figure out what our heroes will do. It has a couple of problems here. One, Gideon is not positioned as a reasonable man with some sort of reason to negotiate with them. He's a bad ass (and I'm convinced a traitorous Mandalorian based on his armor and the darksaber) and he's mad as hell, he never says something like "There's no reason for the Alderaanian or Carga to suffer here, Mandalorian...surrender the child and I will let them live. All I want is what I paid for." He comes in hot and ready to burn the place down to begin with. He's the sheriff, they're the outlaws, he's ready to burn down the barn they're hiding in, but he doesn't WANT to. Gideon would need to have a reason to delay sending in the death troopers. He doesn't even care if the child lives, as evidenced by the attack that then ensues. My frustration with this as a big western fan and a bigger Star Wars fan is that it's an unnecessary problem: IG11 could have done exactly what he did without Gideon making this condition. It could have just been timed out differently. 

Of course, I could also just chalk it up to the strange guidelines the Imperials must have had when expending resources. They send three TIE fighters after the Falcon when they could scramble 100.  Manhunt parties that are supposed to cover entire systems? Six stormtroopers will do. Need to get a child away from three people in a bar? 300 stormtroopers, and massive ordinance, plus the leader, in a TIE fighter. It's amazing the empire crumbled, really.

Otherwise EXCELLENT FINALE. 

• Love 7
On 12/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, magdalene said:

And I find it hard to believe that Dave Feloni, who is after all a protege of Lucas, would go against Lucas' wishes and vision.

Can you expand on that? I am unfamiliar with Lucas' vision regarding Yoda and now baby Yoda. 

2 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Can you expand on that? I am unfamiliar with Lucas' vision regarding Yoda and now baby Yoda. 

Because Lucas didn't ever name Yoda's species or give you any sort of backstory on him, it's thought by some that he never wanted that explored in detail. I don't agree with this thinking, I mean this is the same guy who basically backstoried the frigging Force in a blood borne symbiote when it was basically magic and mystery and faith, which was much cooler. He turned a whole galaxy into about six planets where everyone knows each other, like Chewie and Yoda, and Jango Fett is basically every stormtrooper, rather than conscripts. And he didn't write the vast, vast, vast majority of the material in the canon or even in expanded canon. THe bottom line on Baby Yoda is that by the end of next season, they have to find a way to get him out of the plot. He's too precious to watch in danger all the time! 

• Love 2

I've heard Jon Favreau spoke with GL about his plans to use Yoda's species.

On the Death Watch symbol, I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I've seen that story.  But Death Watch were definitely the ones who rescued Din.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, benteen said:

I've heard Jon Favreau spoke with GL about his plans to use Yoda's species.

On the Death Watch symbol, I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I've seen that story.  But Death Watch were definitely the ones who rescued Din.

The Death Watch symbol is on the shoulder of the Mandalorian that rescues child Din. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

THe bottom line on Baby Yoda is that by the end of next season, they have to find a way to get him out of the plot. He's too precious to watch in danger all the time! 

I think the only reason people are watching the show is for Baby Yoda, the people would notice the plots are pretty lame if Baby Yoda wasn't there to distract the viewers.

15 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I think the only reason people are watching the show is for Baby Yoda, the people would notice the plots are pretty lame if Baby Yoda wasn't there to distract the viewers.

No. I'm watching for the actual title character. And the plots are actually pretty good.

• Love 11

I like the series as a whole, but I think it is undeniable that a lot of people (though not everyone, of course) are probably watching for Baby Yoda, or they started watching in the first place for Baby Yoda and then got sucked into the stories.  I am largely watching for the relationship between Mando and Baby Yoda, but I like most of the other characters we meet too -- and some of them I would like to see again (except for Xi'an, who was annoying).  Not everyone is a huge Star Wars fan, nor a fan of "space westerns," nor a fan of these types of action-focused stories, so having a character such as Baby Yoda on the show lures some of those people in.

I can't recall which thread I posted this in, but the unofficial Baby Yoda Twitter account had over 211,000 followers when I first mentioned it in this forum, and within a few days it has jumped to over 220,000 followers and counting (I started following it when it had fewer than 90,000 followers).  This same account has been featured on Good Morning America and in Esquire Magazine.  https://twitter.com/BabyYodaBaby/status/1211637509068857345

At the end of the day, whatever the reason each viewer is tuned in, we all win!  The more people tuning in, the better -- whether they are watching for Mando or for the Baby or just because they are Star Wars fans, etc. -- because it means there is a greater chance of the series returning for a 3rd season or more.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 8

I was excited for the show since it was first announced, and there were rumors that it would be about Boba Fett. Baby Yoda was just a pleasant surprise. I've loved all the epsiodes, except for 5, but that's mostly because I didn't like some of the casting choices. 

12 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I have a question. What timeline is this show in, is it after episode 6 or 9? The reason I'm asking is Mando didn't seem like he was familiar with the word Jedi and called them sorcerers. Are they in the same universe as Darth Vader, the Death Star and Luke Skywalker?

Yes, it's in the same universe. The show takes place 5 years after episode 6. There's been lots of talk about why Mando had never heard of Jedi, but I haven't heard a good explanation. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Surprised we did see him unmasked briefly, because I figured that would be saved for much later.

I thought that as well, but given the recent discussions about how much of the performance is actually due to Pedro vs. the stunt guys, I’m okay with unmasking him here.  Maybe that’s a situation Jon and Dave anticipated- if so, good on them.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, SueB said:

4 - "Sanctuary" is, IMO, the root cause.  It IS "Seven Samurai", which would be fine if it that hadn't been redone so MANY times on on just about every genre show.  It didn't take a student of film to pick up the plot reuse straight away.  5 and 6 are western lone gunslinger stories but less well trod.  However 4 set up 5 & 6 to get scrutinized more closely for tropes. 5 introduces Ming Na, I'm ready for that.  6's story is completely consistent with character backstory and the ruthless way Mando interprets his code works for me.  But 4 was the one that IMO deserved criticism and it brought down 5 & 6. 

I haven’t seen 7 samurai- but I know the overall story, and that it’s an oft repeated concept.  Personally, as long as it’s well made, I generally don’t mind if a movie or TV episode is a retelling of some other thing.  It’s only when the new thing is unsatisfying that I get distracted by the fact that it’s a retread.  Maybe I’d feel differently in this case if I was more familiar with the original- but it worked for me here.

Otherwise, we not only get the intro of Cara Dune in episode 4, but it’s also the show that explains the significance of Mando not revealing his face, and really solidifies that being Baby Yoda’s guardian needs to be his primary role- all of which pays off in these finale episodes.

• Love 4