Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter Eight - Redemption

• Start Topic

I thought it was funny those storm troopers at the beginning couldn't hit their target. Good continuity there. And glad IG saved the baby. They were mean hitting him. 

Glad I stayed up to watch at midnight. 

Damn, I thought we'd seen the last of Space Gus Moff. Guess he'll be back. 

Do the magic hand thing! 

I want more and don't want to have to wait for next season, but I'm looking forward to what's going to happen. 

• Love 21

Great ep! Started with humour, then action, then exposition. I do wonder what will happen to the Armorer. Hopefully she'll pop up again.

The darksabre! That thing looks so weird in RL. It looks weird in the cartoons, but somehow less so. Still, good to see it. I'm guessing Gideon looted it during the Imperial purge of the Mandalorians.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

The darksabre! That thing looks so weird in RL. It looks weird in the cartoons, but somehow less so. Still, good to see it. I'm guessing Gideon looted it during the Imperial purge of the Mandalorians.

When I heard the lightsaber buzz, I immediately whispered “The Darksaber!” Wonder if we’re leading up to Mando taking back the Darksaber and finding a new leader for the Mandalorians like Sabine Wren. I wonder if like Sabine, Mando will turn down leadership if its bestowed on him.

Loved the episode! Sad Cara isn’t still with Mando but hopefully we’ll see her again. Loved Mando saying “No living creature has seen my face since taking the oath” and the droid’s response was perfect (and like Ahsoka’s “I am no Jedi”). I thought maybe Mando would let The Child see his face at the end, but I guess not.

”You have damage to your CPU.” LOL. Who wrote in that Dad joke-I literally laughed out loud.

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

That was SO good! Watched it first thing when I woke up. In the middle of the episode, I just said "Damn, this is fun!"

RIP, IG-11 😞

Baby Yoda was having fun riding on IG's back during the shootout, and it was delightful to watch.

We saw Mando's face! Though it was only briefly. So funny when IG said to Mando "That was a joke; it is meant to put you at ease."

Cara Dune is a G! Love her and hope we see her again. Ditto Greef Carga, who really has grown on me.

What a great end to a fun season!

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, SnoGirl said:

When I heard the lightsaber buzz, I immediately whispered “The Darksaber!” Wonder if we’re leading up to Mando taking back the Darksaber and finding a new leader for the Mandalorians like Sabine Wren. I wonder if like Sabine, Mando will turn down leadership if its bestowed on him.

If this is leading to Ezra's storyline being wrapped up, that will be a huge shock.  And welcomed, it would involve Ezra, Sabine, and Ahsoka.

The freaking Darksaber with a live action appearance.

Loved Baby Yoda waving, and using the Force to protect his family.  And, of course loved that Cara didn't turn villain.  She really is Mando's friend to the end.

• Love 14

Holy shit, that was amazing! The gag with the storm troopers unable to hit the target was hilarious! I was so impressed with the writing in this episode. So many awesome moments! I love that the armorer gave Mando his new signet and his first rocket pack. Baby Yoda continues to be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen and had so many adorable moments. Moff Gideon is an excellent villain, and I can’t wait for season 2. Oh was also surprised they really killed Kuiil. I thought for sure he would just be injured and the baby would heal him this episode, but it was not to be. This series is the actual BEST!

Edited by saltylemon
  • Love 21

So bummed when IG-11 confirmed Kuiil was dead. I was hoping for some miracle. Then IG-11 went and sacrificed himself after he had proven to be the perfect droid nanny we’ve been talking about. He even had a makeshift Baby Bjorn going on!

I wanted to punch those storm troopers in the head, though I did laugh at them being unable to hit a target three feet away.

I am amused that Mando has a facial hair situation going on under the helmet because it is obviously for his own enjoyment and not to look good for other people.

Carl Weathers gets some of the best lines again:

CW: Make the baby do the magic hand thing! Baby! Do the magic hand thing!

*Baby Yoda just waves at him*

CW: Well, I’m out of ideas.

The pacing at the end felt a little off to me, and I was surprised that CW was so easily all, “Hey, things are cool now! Stick around! Let’s not even check to make sure Gus Fring is dead!” But hey - I guess bonus that he’ll clearly pull some strings so Cara can be a bounty hunter.

And, uh, good luck finding the Yoda home world, dude. Lucas has never mentioned it before. But I’ll bet this will mean a stop at Dagobah (though I don’t think Yoda was from there). But even if he finds it, how can he let his puppet son go when the Armorer declared him the father and them a clan of two?

Also, what is the Armorer talking about tangling with Jedi centuries ago? Wasn’t it a few decades ago? I still don’t get how all knowledge of the Jedi has disappeared when, like, Luke Skywalker is alive and out there.

I guess I need to look up this dark saber since it is clearly “a thing” in the SW universe.

ETA: I also can’t believe Gus Fring fell prey to the classic villain blunder - he monologued then left his enemy alone and unsupervised, allowing them to escape. I guess he’s never seen Austin Powers.

Edited by Kostgard
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16

I was surprised by how many downbeat moments there were: Kuiil's lonely grave, IG-11's sacrifice (and his exchange with Mando about recognizing sadness in his voice), the longer flashback of the attack on Mando's childhood home, and the pile of Beskar with only the armorer left to take care of it. I was even bummed out by Cara shooting the droid who was humming while obliviously steering them into an ambush. But those were balanced out by a lot of fantastic scenes that have already been mentioned. I was especially happy to see the armorer whack all those Stormtroopers since it means we may see her again. I love the voice actor for that character. Speaking of, I only found out by reading about it later that Adam Pally and Jason Sudeikis provided the voices for the 2 Stormtroopers who hit Baby Yoda.

I've had issues with this season--and even with this episode--but ultimately found the finale very satisfying. The wait for the next season would've been torturous if Mando and Baby Yoda hadn't ended this one together.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

If this is leading to Ezra's storyline being wrapped up, that will be a huge shock.  And welcomed, it would involve Ezra, Sabine, and Ahsoka.

The freaking Darksaber with a live action appearance.

Loved Baby Yoda waving, and using the Force to protect his family.  And, of course loved that Cara didn't turn villain.  She really is Mando's friend to the end.

I mean, I want Ahsoka and the Rebel’s crew to be live action...but selfishly I want them to have their own show. And the make-up the aliens have had this season has been lacking so if it does happen, I hope they get better at it.

2 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Same. Does this mean I need to watch Clone Wars?

It’s not Clone Wars-its Star Wars Rebels, the other animated show. And I’m kinda thinking with how much Dave Filoni has been involved eventually you might want to. There are a handful of episodes that has to do with the Darksaber, but its not the main story to the show. There’s a Mandalorian on the Crew of the Ghost, and the Darksaber has to do with her story.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

You should.  It's freaking fantastic.

It humanizes the Clones, they get some much needed character development.  You get to see more of the problems with the Jedi Council, that allowed Palpatine to take over.  It does a great job of showing Anakin's growing dark side, and his frustration with the Council.  You do also see that Obi-Wan was noticing that there were problems with the Council, and he could have been the only one to stop Anakin from joining the Sith.  And they have a brotherhood in the series, that's much better than the prequels.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3

Couple more things - on rewatch, I noticed that while they were in the stand off (before IG-11 showed up) Carl Weathers was just back by the bar doing shots. That guy rules.

Also? If bacta spray is that good, why doesn't EVERYONE carry it? Like why wasn't it in Cara's med pack?

Finally, Baby Yoda was loving being on that speeder with IG-11.

• Love 18

Wow, Favreau really went out of his way to portray stormtroopers as imbeciles in this episode, didn't he? Makes me wonder

Spoiler

whether IG-11 sacrifice was really necessary. Could have shot their way-out. The chance of stormtroopers hitting them was one million to one.

All in all, the season felt like your full-length movie divided in to eight parts, and from those eight parts, probably four or five episodes (depending on your point of view) were just filler episodes that contributed nothing to the overall plot.

The production quality is OMG for a TV series. Sure, I still don't like Baby Yoda, in 90 percent of the time, when he's out and about, he's really lifeless. I'd say CGI would have been better, but if you want to pay homage to the original hand-muppet, then why not.

The plot, well, as I've said, five or six episodes are filler ones (and three or two episodes are for the plot). At least we now know what the second season will revolve around

Spoiler

finding the Yoda species baby's homeworld... aaaaaaaand being on the run from the ex-imperials. Only in different places. I wonder if Gideon is going to kill Greef and Cara.

7/10

P.S.

Spoiler

Mando pulls his helmet off. OMG dude, put it back on, you look better with it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I'm sure they'll explain the dark saber and other people/items from Clone Wars/Rebels for the people that didn't watch them. (Which is good for me as I watched Rebels, but never got into Clone Wars).

44 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

Wow, Favreau really went out of his way to portray stormtroopers as imbeciles in this episode, didn't he? Makes me wonder

The part I enjoyed is when they found out no one was letting Moff Gideon know that Baby Yoda had been captured because he killed the last officer to interrupt him. It's almost like killing subordinates every time they're not perfect isn't the most efficient management style.

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Just google Clone Wars Episodes with Dark Saber. Or watch the final season of Rebels (there's a mini-arc about Sabine Wren (a Mandalorian) and the Dark Saber. 

I still don't get the whole I can't take my helmet off, Sabine and Clan Wren as well as other Mandalorians had no problem with it. I hope they expand it a bit.

I loved this episode. I loved that the Speeder Troopers couldn't hit the plant. I loved IG-11 showing up and kicking ass. Baby Yoda's glee when IG-11 was racing through town taking out Storm Troopers. 

I loved that Cara wasn't a villain and stood by her friends. Loved that Greef/Carl Weathers didn't sell them out. I hope Mando and Baby Yoda make it back for a visit.

I cried over IG-11 damn show I thought only R2 or 3PO dying would make me cry.

I love how closely this holds to Rebels and Clone Wars. Loved seeing the Dark Saber, I liked how it looked in Live Action.

Can't wait for S2

• Love 9

Why is a sewer drain in the wall instead of on the floor? Why is it made of the strongest material in the universe? The sewer didn't have any fluids in it, but since it is a desert sewer I will let that slide. Nice and roomy place, much nicer than the houses on the surface. Why is there a ferry in the sewer and where does it take people? Interesting that lava only effects people if they touch it, nobody ever feels the heat, even standing in a metal boat.

Moff Gideon seems to be an extremely patient man.

Lil' Oda to the rescue with his ears flappin' in the breeze.

• Love 9

OMG! That was all kinds of awesome. I was right about IG-11 being Chekhov’s droid. He went out like a boss.

We got to see Mando’s face! 😁 The blacksmith was badass taking out those stormtroopers. RIP Kuiil. ☹️

I yelled at the screen when those assholes punched the Baby. 😡 Nobody hits my Baby! He was so adorable at the end with his daddy. How can they make us wait a year to see more of the Baby!!

• Love 22

Consensus seems to be that I need to watch both Rebels and Clone Wars. I am good with that!😊

RIP, Kuiil. Like others here, I was hoping he had just been injured, but alas, he sacrificed himself for Baby Yoda. He went out a hero. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 10

Oh damn, Cara is from Alderaan. That one piece of information conveys so much. 

4 hours ago, Kostgard said:

Also, what is the Armorer talking about tangling with Jedi centuries ago? Wasn’t it a few decades ago?

She said eons not centuries. An eon is an undetermined long time which could be either decades or centuries. 

And the darksaber! I screamed when I saw it. 

And now I have to pretend I haven’t watched it when my husband comes home. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4

This episode was soooo good. So many OMG moments, whether they were of the kick-butt kind, the nerve-racking, or the cute and sweet.

I was a little annoyed at first that they spent so much time on the two troopers in the beginning, because I was worried about Mando and team, but it was a great scene. Except for when they kept hitting the baby. That seriously pissed me off. I'm glad IG 11 smoked their asses.

I loved that we found out Din's real name, and learned that he was rescued by a Mando. I was a little surprised that we got to see his face. With the matted hair and blood on his face though, Pedro wasn't that recognizable. I liked the "I'm not sad" when IG 11 called him out on being sad that he was going to self destruct. Growth!

Sad that so many Mando's died because their cover was blown. I'm hoping some survived and we'll see more of them next episode. Loved that the blacksmith told Mando that he was the baby's father for now. 🙂 And I think he'll always keep his signet even when he has to return the baby to others of his kind. I'm sure I'll cry once that happens. Mando letting the baby keep his necklace was sweet too, as was the baby holding on to his leg.

He finally got a jetpack! And he used it in a pretty epic fashion. The pose they have when they take off reminds me of Superman.

Ok, time to watch it again. 🙂

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 14

After my rewatch, there are two things that didn't make sense to me.

1. Din said the only record of his name was in some Mandalore registrar, but he told Cara to take his necklace to the covert and tell them that Din sent them, and the blacksmith knew his real name. So if the other Mando's knew his real name, I don't why he didn't consider that one of them told the Imps his real name. Maybe he figures a fellow Mando would never betray him in that way.

2. Moff Gideon sent in that guy with the flamethrower, who pointed it right at the baby. So apparently Moff didn't care if the baby died? But all his other actions showed otherwise.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

2.. So apparently Moff didn't care if the baby died? But all his other actions showed otherwise.

Except he was shooting at the barge knowing Baby Yoda was in the line of fire. Maclunky!

Stormtrooper 1: Hey lady, we outnumber you 6 to 1 and all you got is a hammer.

Armourer: I like those odds

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11
5 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

The part I enjoyed is when they found out no one was letting Moff Gideon know that Baby Yoda had been captured because he killed the last officer to interrupt him. It's almost like killing subordinates every time they're not perfect isn't the most efficient management style.

Tarkin: FFS! Vader thinks that Generals and Captains grow on trees....How can I run a Death Star at 50% staff??????

Captain Gideon: Well sir, I will try not to fail him....btw just remembered I have a thing on.....Endor. Gotta go, good luck sir!

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I was surprised by how many downbeat moments there were: Kuiil's lonely grave, IG-11's sacrifice (and his exchange with Mando about recognizing sadness in his voice), the longer flashback of the attack on Mando's childhood home, and the pile of Beskar with only the armorer left to take care of it. I was even bummed out by Cara shooting the droid who was humming while obliviously steering them into an ambush. But those were balanced out by a lot of fantastic scenes that have already been mentioned. I was especially happy to see the armorer whack all those Stormtroopers since it means we may see her again. I love the voice actor for that character. Speaking of, I only found out by reading about it later that Adam Pally and Jason Sudeikis provided the voices for the 2 Stormtroopers who hit Baby Yoda.

I've had issues with this season--and even with this episode--but ultimately found the finale very satisfying. The wait for the next season would've been torturous if Mando and Baby Yoda hadn't ended this one together.

SOJDALc.jpgIt's Emily Swallow.  She does a great job as The Armorer.

I loved everything about her scenes.  The gifts to Mando. Declaring them a clan of two.  Her commitment to The Way.  Mando is going to live his life based on her guidance.  I'm guessing The Armorer is as close to the Mandolorian Culture has to a Spiritual leader.  Just everything was perfect: The signet, the clan of two, get more supplies, and of course the jet pak.  *sigh* I didn't know I needed Mando to have a jet pak til she gave him one.

The two Imps were comedians; I thought they were pretty funny.  Although I'm glad to seem them crispy after hurting The Child.  I too was bummed IG-11 died.  He was a perfect nannybot.  

Off to rewatch this a bunch of times. 

• Love 19

I'm very sad Kuiil is dead. I was hoping he was just knocked unconscious.

I'm glad IG-11 came to the rescue, that was a really exciting action sequence. I'm especially happy it went like this since my friend asked me after the last episode, do you think the storm troopers or the droid killed Kuiil. So I'm glad the droid's reprogramming worked. 

We finally saw Mando's face!! I thought maybe we wouldn't see it for the whole series.

Cara staying behind was weird. I can see why Greef would stay but why wouldn't Cara go with Mando?

Baby Yoda cute as always!

So mad at those two troopers at the beginning punching baby Yoda but it was hilarious watching them try to shoot - whatever it was. Bahaha

Two things I need for next season: the armorer is alive and has a part in the story and we find out what happened with Ming-Na Wen's character and hopefully get more of her in the story too. 

Now I need to watch these all over again. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, SueB said:

SOJDALc.jpgIt's Emily Swallow.  She does a great job as The Armorer.

I was going to check IMDB to see who played the Armorer but you saved me the trouble. I kept picturing Tilda Swinton in my head.

The way she took out all those stormtroopers was awesome. Hope we see more of her next season.

• Love 6

Oh damn, Cara is from Alderaan. That one piece of information conveys so much.

Yeah, that was such a great casual reveal.

So anyone else hoping for a flash forward at the end of the season showing an adult Baby Yoda in Mandalorian beskar? It's emphasized over and over that Mandalorians aren't a race, and unlike Mando, we know that the Yoda species can learn to be great physical fighters.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Yeah, that was such a great casual reveal.

So anyone else hoping for a flash forward at the end of the season showing an adult Baby Yoda in Mandalorian beskar? It's emphasized over and over that Mandalorians aren't a race, and unlike Mando, we know that the Yoda species can learn to be great physical fighters.

Baby Yoda is a Force User

Baby Yoda is being raised by a Mandalorian 

DarkSaber exists

Baby Yoda will be new Mand'alor! 😁

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Why is a sewer drain in the wall instead of on the floor? Why is it made of the strongest material in the universe?

I surely can't be the only one who was wondering - "The grate is resistant to laser fire; how about the wall anchoring it?"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

2. Moff Gideon sent in that guy with the flamethrower, who pointed it right at the baby. So apparently Moff didn't care if the baby died? But all his other actions showed otherwise.

I thought it was pretty consistent that he didn’t care if the baby was captured dead or alive. The doctor wanted him alive but he seemed to be the only one who cared. If he only wanted Baby Yoda alive he did a horrible job of passing that information along. 

1 hour ago, Rushmoras said:

I thought an eon is a thousand years.

A millennium is a thousand years. 

11 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:
11 hours ago, Sugarbeetle said:

An eon is an undetermined long time

Figuratively. If she was being literal, an eon is one billion years.

A billion years is just one definition for eon. On another planet an eon could be decades and still be literal. None of earth’s geological eons are close to a billion years. 

Edited by Guest

Baby Yoda and Mando are okay and that's all that mattered to me about the season finale!

And awww at Mando being sad at the thought of IG pulling a Terminator 2. Hopefully now he's over his blanket hatred of all droids.

At certain angles, the actress who plays Cara reminds me a lot of Regina on Once Upon a Time, so in my mind there was a OUAT reunion when she and Giancarlo Esposito were finally in the same scene!

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

At certain angles, the actress who plays Cara reminds me a lot of Regina on Once Upon a Time, so in my mind there was a OUAT reunion when she and Giancarlo Esposito were finally in the same scene!

I've never seen OUAT, but I looked her up. Yeah, I can see the similarity. Good pic.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Dani said:

A millennium is a thousand years. 

A billion years is just one definition for eon. On another planet an eon could be decades and still be literal. None of earth’s geological eons are close to a billion years. 

One day on Dagobah FEELS like an eon........YEMV

18 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

so in my mind there was a OUAT reunion

Even though he was a secondary character, a Homicide: Life On The Street reunion would be interesting...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I know I'm in the minority here but I wish they had kept that helmet on - it was much more intriguing to create one's own version of the Mandalorian. But I can see (he!) why that was never going to happen.

Glad they did not end the season on a cliff-hanger. Baby Yoda is safe with his Dad and even got a shiny new toy. I hope the Armorer is safe as well and will return. Her fight scene was awesome as was Emily Swallow's voice acting, she certainly received more love here than over at Supernatural.

'Do the magic hand thing' really deserves its own t-shirt.

• Love 11