Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: A Recipe for Disaster

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The new deckhand arrives just in time as Brian’s injured knee worsens. Ashton tries to ingratiate the new teammate with the deck crew, but his efforts are wasted after an explosive crew night out. Kate and Kevin battle over the control of meal service. When a charter guest is inappropriate toward Simone, Kate is forced to confront the issue head on.

Airs November 25, 2019.

• Love 2

Scoreboard:

Primary was the worst.  That's sexual harassment.

Kevin gets second.  That move with the girls serve the sides and the male crew serve the 'steak' deserved a verbal slap by Captain Lee when he finds out.

Rylee gets third because, well, it's Rylee.

Captain Lee's comment about the tip and dealing with the primary was another classic Captain Lee euphemism. 

• Love 24
21 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

Hope he watches this and sees what a creep he is.

This is extremely doubtful.

I was pretty sure it wouldn’t be the case but was hoping Rhylee was one of those people who would watch themselves on tv and learn that their behavior was over the top and make an effort to modify it but she just goes from 0 to epic asshole in no time flat that her point always gets lost.

• Love 20

Bravo got exactly what they wanted.

She’s obviously an asshole but how did they know Kevin would clash with her?   

I would say the casting people must consult with psychiatrists but Rhylee will fight with anyone so no special expertise needed!

Now they’re casting the charter guests for asshole quotient as well.looks like more inappropriate guest to come, or at least the editing makes it appear so.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I am confused at the timeline with Brian’s knee the second Lee saw it he said he needed a doctor and would need antibiotics, so I don’t know why it took one so long to get there.

Yeah, I was confused about that too. I thought for sure he said antibiotics last time, yet this time he said he was shocked it was infected. 

• Love 7

Rhylee needs to follow the advice my mother gave me - it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt. She sounded like a complete idiot with the keto/paleo bullshit. They are NOT the same, and she seems to think that eating something in those categories compensates for binge drinking? Good God. I just can't tolerate people who don't know when to shut up and listen. Kevin is absolutely a piece of work himself, but she was obnoxious to him, and her mouthing off at Ashton was beyond the pale. And I think he was more than willing to look beyond past experience with her and made an effort to work with a clean slate- after Lee basically ordered him to get along with her.

Kevin is such a weirdo and I agree with the assessment that he doesn't consider women as equals.  He acts completely different with the "bros". I think we are about to see Kate implode.

Those charter guests were the worst with the primary winning first prize.

How could Captain Lee not have even  thought about the possibility of infection in Brian's leg - did he not ever check on him?

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, gotta watch said:

I get that Brian's knee is infected. But what did he do to it originally? Fall & scrape it? I must have missed that part.

Yes, he appeared to stumble in an earlier episode and he landed on the deck, scraping his knee. I think he had a wood-splinter in his knee, so perhaps that is what got infected? All a body needs is one 'open' wound to become infected. It certainly looks painful, but I am unsure how 'safe' a stoned deckhand would be (courtesy Dr's painkillers and his statements of feeling loopy).

Edited by Chalby
original stoned comment wasn't clear
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, elsie said:

I think part of it is how eager she is to learn all that she can while she is on the ship...not just what to do, but why you do it, her strong work ethic, and, damn, her upper body strength is very impressive! Watching her help Tanner in 96 degree heat deflate and then fold up that slide knowing that it weighs a ton, and also carrying the fucking primary prick to a chair when he was complaining of the ground burning his feet...I really wish I liked her more, 

I am more forgiving of Rhylee's temper and acting out behaviour for the reasons you have cited. She is such a hard worker and on par with most lead deck crew. Even her toe to toe argument with Kevin made me feel she was not entirely at fault. How convenient that Rhylee take on Kevin's arrogant asshole comments on her first evening out? I am positive that bunking with Kate gave her a backstory - enough for Rhylee to determine she was not putting up with an idiot chef.

6 hours ago, SunshineOnMe said:

Yeah, I was confused about that too. I thought for sure he said antibiotics last time, yet this time he said he was shocked it was infected. 

Wasn't this the second doctor visit? I keep thinking it was already looked at...?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Dumptruck mouth and wheelbarrow ass indeed!

My favourite Captain Lee expression. I think Rhylee is exactly what Kevin needs because thus far, the interior and deck crews have let him slide far too long. No wonder Kate seemed semi-excited about bunking with Rhylee. Kate has her own personal pit-bull.

10 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Well, Rhylee wasted no time. Don't get me wrong, I think Kevin was being a prick too (as he is want to do); but she just has no self awareness. The shit they were fighting about was massively stupid. But she just goes from 0 to 60 and is yelling at everyone in no time at all. Kevin sending out the deck crew to serve food? I have no words. He is so fucking controlling and uptight. All he needs to do is make the food. Let Kate worry about serving it. 

It's times like these when Kevin needs to be bitch-slapped. Bring on Rhylee...

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I fault Captain Lee for not tending to Brian’s leg sooner & as I watched from home, I too worried about amputation or sepsis.

I am so untrusting that I question the editing re: Brian's knee injury. How do we know this was left untreated over a couple of charters, or was this the result of an infection developing over three days? There seems to be an attempt to make Brian's injury an "Oh My" side drama.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

With some charters, I wonder what the guests will think when they see themselves on TV.  This primary was such a consistent a$% that I suspect he won't find a single thing wrong.   This had to be about the grossest bunch of guests yet....even beating out the ones who come hoping to promote dodgy businesses or launch ill advised rap careers.    This is the worst of Frat "culture" that's been extended way, way, way past it's sell by date.  Grow the heck up, people.

• Love 22

The Kevin-Rhylee argument was beyond stupid but I'm going to side with Kevin for two reasons:  one, I will never side with Rhylee because she's an ass hat and two, I legit LOL'd over Kevin's martini dance and song.  

Clearly Rhylee was brought back for the drama because the crew was getting along too well.  She can't even be there for 24 hours before pushing buttons.  I really can't stand her.

Poor Brian.  Captain Lee really should have been more on top of his knee. 

The female guest (Shay?) with Ashton was embarrassing to watch. 

The primary was a twitwaffle.  I will never understand why certain people will pay for such a costly and extravagant cruise/vacation and then spend their time drunk off their asses.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 19

I'm almost glad Kevin flew off the handle with Rhylee just to prove that it's not just Kate that he is rude and demeaning to. Once again he belittled Kate and her stews during dinner service, which Kate handled very maturely by the way.

Then he attacks Rhylee (whom I have no love for, but still) and goes at her harder and harder, never thinking that he could be the bigger person and let the argument go. 

Kevin is a spiteful, condescending ass to all women and sadly, I don't think watching this on tv now will change him at all. His brain simply cannot accept that he isn't always right.

Well, I am with Simone and was happy that Rhylee went after the chef like a pitbull. He is a giant jerk, and the other women have been holding back since they are stuck in the galley with him.  I am not a Rhylee fan, because she doesn't know when to stop...but I didn't mind her starting it up. As per Ashton-her problem is that she just goes way overboard and doesn't stop. And then Ashton...I got the impression that Rhylee just terrifies him and he was just waiting for her to explode so when she did, he had an oversized reaction. It was not all her fault. The Chef is a condescending douche.  I guess it's not the bosun's job to tell the chef what to do, but it would be nice if someone took him (Kevin?) aside and just told him that he is the problem. Lots of people on this site come down hard on Kate a lot-but I feel like she has been really restrained in her dealings with him-she tells him when he has crossed a line/made her mad but she doesn't go for the jugular like Rhylee did...because she knows they have to continue working together.

Lol, Heathrowe, it seems we have the same opinion of Kevin. I was typing my response at the same time you were sending yours!

• Love 23
21 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Kevin is a spiteful, condescending ass to all women and sadly, I don't think watching this on tv now will change him at all. His brain simply cannot accept that he isn't always right.

Hands down, this is my favourite observation, thus far. Thank you & Well Done!!

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I do agree that someone needed to take Kevin down. He is so fucking full of himself. And I also agree that Kate has gone fairly easy on him, considering. 

The problem with Rhylee, though, is that she always takes it too far. She ended up screaming at Ashton and Tanner too. So now she just looks "crazy" and Kevin still gets off the hook. 

I would actually prefer one of those dudes get mad at Kevin and take him to task. But that's unlikely to happen, as he seems to totally worship them as "bros" and saves his douchebaggery for the girls.

Yep to all of this.  Rhylee and Kevin both have to have the last word, but at least Kevin seemed more focused on arguing with her where Rhylee starts lashing out at everyone.  Not a good look, especially when she knew that Ashton wasn't going to be thrilled for her to be back anyway.  Maybe try to make nice for at least 24 hours?  No?  Ok.

Kevin strikes me a giant nerd, and wants to have the cool deck guys like him.  If one of them were to say something to him about toning down his attitude with the stews it may go a long way.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Chalby said:

Wasn't this the second doctor visit? I keep thinking it was already looked at...?

Tanner got a Doctor visit for his "sweet belly" I think he called it.

Surprising nobody realized Brian's knee was infected.  It was obvious on the TV screen.

Lots of nasty bugs in that climate.  They should take any small cuts more seriously.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Chalby said:

It certainly looks painful, but I am unsure how 'safe' a stoned deckhand would be.

I hope you mean by painkillers prescribed by the Dr. I don’t think he was “stoned” when the fall occurred. Captain Lee has no tolerance for drug use. He even aborted a charter after a stew found some white powder on a surface during cleaning season one. I feel for him hurting so badly yet continuing to work as best he could. Ashton should have made the Captain aware of the injury as soon as it happened. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Tanner got a Doctor visit for his "sweet belly" I think he called it.

Surprising nobody realized Brian's knee was infected.  It was obvious on the TV screen.

I could be wrong but I thought they also sent for a Dr for Brian a few days after he injured his knee. That doc gave him antibiotics and went on his way.

10 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

I fault Captain Lee for not tending to Brian’s leg sooner

I feel like Capt'n Lee has been off his game the entire season. He seems tired, over it, unhappy, bored, etc.....

I'm curious, what exactly is considered a "good tip" when chartering a yacht? I really have no idea. Just asking in case I win the lottery and decide to take a 3 day cruise for $200,000!

Who gave douchelord Kevin the authority to order for everybody? That was the first mistake. Why couldn't everybody just order for themselves, then Rylee could get her Paleo option of a protein and a veg, which is no big deal anyway. 

Edited by bichonblitz
More thoughts
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I hope you mean by painkillers prescribed by the Dr.

I corrected original comment. Brian mentioned feeling loopy on deck because of painkillers. This is an accident waiting to happen...

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I'm curious, what exactly is considered a "good tip" when chartering a yacht? I really have no idea. Just asking in case I win the lottery and decide to take a 3 day cruise for $200,000!

Just based on the show, it seems like a good tip for the charter is around $20,000.00. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I could be wrong but I thought they also sent for a Dr for Brian a few days after he injured his knee. That doc gave him antibiotics and went on his way.

I believe Brian was sent off the boat to a hospital or doctor, where he got the meds and came back to the boat. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I feel like Capt'n Lee has been off his game the entire season. He seems tired, over it, unhappy, bored, etc.....

I could be wrong, but I think they filmed this season shortly after the Captain’s son died. So I’m willing to cut him ALOT of slack.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, lgprimes said:

I could be wrong, but I think they filmed this season shortly after the Captain’s son died. So I’m willing to cut him ALOT of slack.

I originally thought that but the news of his son's death came after the season was already finished filming. Maybe Capt'n was distracted because his son apparently had drug issues (according to news reports) and it was weighing heavily on his mind. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, SweetieDarling said:

Is this a record for how many times the capt. has had to call a doctor? There was the crazy "panic attack" lady (who, I'm fairly certain, viewed all non-alcoholic drinks as mixers), Tanner's "sweet belly", and now Brian's infected knee.

I think you're right.  Caroline got sent to the doctor 2 or 3 times for her foot and her sinus infection and whatever else she conjured to not have to work.  Others have been sent off to a doctor but I don't remember multiple visits to the boat in any other season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

I think you're right.  Caroline got sent to the doctor 2 or 3 times for her foot and her sinus infection and whatever else she conjured to not have to work.  Others have been sent off to a doctor but I don't remember multiple visits to the boat in any other season.

Didn't the doctor get called for Ashton one time?  Or was that the bosun on BDM?  They all kind of start to blend together in my mind.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Didn't the doctor get called for Ashton one time?  Or was that the bosun on BDM?  They all kind of start to blend together in my mind.

Yes when he nearly drowned/lost a leg because his leg got caught in the rope of the tinder and he was dragged under. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I think Kevin’s problem is more with the servers than with women in general. Most chefs have a bad relationship with the wait staff as they blame them for any problems. You know they didn’t get the orders right or bring the food out after it is cold. It is the waitresses he has a problem with and he would be just as obnoxious with a waiter.

Rhylee is a different kettle of fish boat captain. She was a stand in for every picky guest who wanted gluten free or vegetarian picky person who just won’t swallow the tongue and shut up. He had his load on and just went off. He didn’t pick on Rhylee because she is a woman because she doesn’t really act like a woman. She is a foul mouthed ultra aggressive swinging dick (TM Captain Lee). 

I think you got the nail on the head when you called him a giant nerd. I also think the person he hates the most is himself.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, esco1822 said:

What was with Kevin's comment "Kate understands food being served through a Burger King window, she doesn't realize how much work goes into this." Shots fired. For all everyone's complaining about Kate talking behind people's backs and not to their faces, I appreciate her being direct with Kevin about how she felt. Meanwhile Kevin talks behind her back undermines her and her abilities. If he thinks his service is more important than her meeting with the Captain, he can kindly suck it. 

Kevin's commentary about Kate is always so off base; I can't help but wonder where he's getting this stuff from. Kate absolutely understands how much work goes into the meals. But she also understands the GUESTS.

Kevin is like a robot. He doesn't seem to understand that every charter will be different, in terms of what guests prefer. Some can be very strict about meal time schedules. But a lot of them are on the yacht to party and aren't all ready to sit down to eat at this exact time that Kevin has in his head. Sometimes they're linger over drinks, chatting, still playing on toys, etc. He pays no attention. He's just like, "It's 8 o'clock! We have to get these plates out now!"

Kate is much more attuned, fluid, and flexible. She's been doing this a long time and she's a pro at feeling out the guests and making them happy. 

2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

It's possible that the infection was so bad that oral antibiotics weren't cutting it. I had a really bad UTI that became a kidney infection and the oral antibiotics weren't clearing it up. I had to go in to the hospital 3 days in a row and get a massive shot. It hurt like hell! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Who gave douchelord Kevin the authority to order for everybody? That was the first mistake. Why couldn't everybody just order for themselves, then Rylee could get her Paleo option of a protein and a veg, which is no big deal anyway. 

Well to be honest, I think Kate said "Kevin why don't you order for us." And in that case Rylee should have said "could you please order A and B, just for me? Thanks so much!" And I think Kevin even said that's what she should have done after she blew up. It's like she WANTED to make a scene, at least after he blew off her request the first time. That's when she should have stepped back and said "Ok fine, since you're not down on choosing something for me, could I just have ....." 

• Love 12

You saw what Rhylee was all about when she went after Tanner who is a really inoffensive dude would really didn’t deserve that at all. 

You also saw the flashback where she went after Kate last season. She is toxic and destructive to morale and the fact that she came onboard just proves that for all of his macho posturing Captain Aphorism is a powerless and impotent puppet.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8